Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,195 members, 7,822,033 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 02:58 AM

Advantages Of Polygamy? - Romance (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Advantages Of Polygamy? (45083 Views)

Counter Thread: Advantages Of Dating A Tall Girl. / Paradox Of Polygamy / 13 Advantages Of Virginity (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Advantages Of Polygamy? by playmate(f): 11:52pm On Jan 20, 2008
advantages of polygamy shocked shocked ask me 4 d dis- nd i'll answer bt der were advantages only during d old days.
Re: Advantages Of Polygamy? by pin4eva(f): 9:58am On Jan 21, 2008
@post

If u marry one wife, she directs her whole trouble to u, but when u marry two or more, so they share their wahala amongst themselves grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Advantages Of Polygamy? by hotfunmi(f): 8:23pm On Jan 21, 2008
@pinwomen down4 ever,
why not marry 100 women to satisfy your non trouble ego. Until we start respecting women in Nigeria, no form of economic  help or social change will turn that country to a better place. You guys can continue living in the past and holding on to your evil ways but be rest assured to remain that way until there is change in the average attitude of Nigerian men on maltreating women. To my yoruba brothers, wake up and start respecting your women because there lies your power to grow mentally and prosper. God is watching us from above.
Re: Advantages Of Polygamy? by pin4eva(f): 11:08pm On Jan 21, 2008
@pinwomen down4 ever,

infact, u don kill me finish
Re: Advantages Of Polygamy? by bebe2007(m): 1:53pm On Jan 22, 2008
Funny comments so far i must say. I am a product of Polygamy. I will not stand upright and say kuddos to polygamy but it must be noted that we products of polygamy are not dysfunctional in anyway. We are as confident, focused and as intelligent as the next kid from a monogamous union. They do not show any up hand in anyway as far as i am concerned. I will say one of the advantages to me is my ability to mix up very well with people from different backgrounds. I am highly competative (in a good way), in a polygamous home you have got to be.

There are a lot of challenges too, all in all it should not be encouraged. The husbands always die first before their wives, the pressure is always too much. Its the quickest way to a man's grave i tell you. The kids are not really affected, thats if they are well taken care of but the wives and husband, are ususally emotionally disturbed or unhappy. I would not encourage polygamy.
Re: Advantages Of Polygamy? by Nobody: 6:12pm On Jan 22, 2008
bebe2007:

Funny comments so far i must say. I am a product of Polygamy. I will not stand upright and say kuddos to polygamy but it must be noted that we products of polygamy are not dysfunctional in anyway. We are as confident, focused and as intelligent as the next kid from a monogamous union. They do not show any up hand in anyway as far as i am concerned. I will say one of the advantages to me is my ability to mix up very well with people from different backgrounds. I am highly competative (in a good way), in a polygamous home you have got to be.

There are a lot of challenges too, all in all it should not be encouraged. The husbands always die first before their wives, the pressure is always too much. Its the quickest way to a man's grave i tell you. The kids are not really affected, thats if they are well taken care of but the wives and husband, are ususally emotionally disturbed or unhappy. I would not encourage polygamy.

Did you feel safe all the time in that home with so many competitors? Sometimes a safe enviroment is important for the psychological emotional growth of a child.

Please share more of your experience with us.
Re: Advantages Of Polygamy? by yemivictor: 6:20pm On Jan 22, 2008
@ Topic (strictly),

I would say an advantage of polygamy is that it affords the man to legally savour the spice of life which is variety! simple!! grin
Re: Advantages Of Polygamy? by Nobody: 6:32pm On Jan 22, 2008
yemivictor:

@ Topic (strictly),

I would say an advantage of polygamy is that it affords the man to legally savour the spice of life which is variety! simple!! grin

We are talking about the advantages to the society!
Re: Advantages Of Polygamy? by hotfunmi(f): 5:35am On Jan 23, 2008
@ Topic (strictly),

I would say an advantage of polygamy is that it affords the man to legally savour the spice of life which is variety! simple!!

Is this really an advantage? It also affords the man to legally savour the spice of early death and troublesome life. Lets not talk about the sries of children that were born by who knows their father. Abiola had thirty something children born for him by various men and he still believed he had his women under control till death. I wish you men can do DNA test on your children to ascertain those that are really yours. If you think Nigerian women are dumb, think again.
Re: Advantages Of Polygamy? by bebe2007(m): 9:04am On Jan 23, 2008
[b]@michelin89

I felt very safe my dear, my Dad, God bless his soul was rich enough to give each wife a house, rides and all to make her comfortable. He had three wives and they all lived in different towns. He was working alot around the country so we the kids usually went for holidays wherever he was at the time. If you visited my home, you would never know about the other women. That was my father's style.

I have family friends from Polygamous home too and in their case they all lived under the same roof, from my observations things were ok. I personally believe that for those who have the money to take care of their wives and numerous kids, things were ok, but for the poor ones it must have been nasty. Money and understanding play alot in polygamy, without both the house will be on fire.

The women should be reasonable women, not vindictive witches. My step mums are educated, reasonable women, who by chance found themselves in their situation. I must say, we were lucky to have my Dad, who did provide adequately for all.Why he got into it, i do not know.WHO ARE WE TO JUDGE. MAY HIS SOUL REST IN PEACE.[/b]
Re: Advantages Of Polygamy? by bebe2007(m): 9:07am On Jan 23, 2008
[b]@michelin89

I felt very safe my dear, my Dad, God bless his soul was rich enough to give each wife a house, rides and all to make her comfortable. He had three wives and they all lived in different towns. He was working alot around the country so we the kids usually went for holidays wherever he was at the time. If you visited my home, you would never know about the other women. That was my father's style.

I have family friends from Polygamous home too and in their case they all lived under the same roof, from my observations things were ok. I personally believe that for those who have the money to take care of their wives and numerous kids, things were ok, but for the poor ones it must have been nasty. Money and understanding play alot in polygamy, without both the house will be on fire.

The women should be reasonable women, not vindictive witches. My step mums are educated, reasonable women, who by chance found themselves in their situation. I must say, we were lucky to have my Dad, who did provide adequately for all.Why he got into it, i do not know.WHO ARE WE TO JUDGE. MAY HIS SOUL REST IN PEACE.[/b]
Re: Advantages Of Polygamy? by yemivictor: 9:39am On Jan 23, 2008
michelin89:

We are talking about the advantages to the society!

Name one advatage of a monogamous family to the society?

hotfunmi:

Is this really an advantage? It also affords the man to legally savour the spice of early death and troublesome life. Lets not talk about the sries of children that were born by who knows their father. Abiola had thirty something children born for him by various men and he still believed he had his women under control till death. I wish you men can do DNA test on your children to ascertain those that are really yours. If you think Nigerian women are dumb, think again.

Funmi, with all due respect, please withdraw your post and try modifying it! It makes absolutely no sense!
What do you mean " Abiola had thirty something children born for him by various men"
And this,
"It also affords the man to legally savour the spice of early death and troublesome life"
FYI!
Having a troublesome life is not exclusive to polygamy! You could be married to one woman and still
have a troublesome & very unhappy life!
GET IT RIGHT PLEASE!
Monogamy does not guarantee marital bliss! Don't be disillusioned!
Re: Advantages Of Polygamy? by hotfunmi(f): 12:13pm On Jan 23, 2008
Funmi, with all due respect, please withdraw your post and try modifying it! It makes absolutely no sense!
What do you mean " Abiola had thirty something children born for him by various men"
And this,
"It also affords the man to legally savour the spice of early death and troublesome life"
FYI!
Having a troublesome life is not exclusive to polygamy! You could be married to one woman and still
have a troublesome & very unhappy life!

GET IT RIGHT PLEASE!
Monogamy does not guarantee marital bliss! Don't be disillusioned!
1. Polygamy is usually the precursor to early death because 9 out of 10 polygamous homes are always in tumoil and disarray.

2. A man that has no peace in his life is knocking on deaths door because You and I know that men cannot survive stress like women. So, polygamy is a recipe for early death.

3. Although monogamy does not guarantee happiness, but you have a high chance of achieving happiness and tranquility to polygamy besides the children are happier because they usually have more for themselves.{one advantage of polygamy}

4. Didn't you read from the newstands that about 33 or more of Abiolas children tested negative to his DNA? where do you live? la la land? Do you think he fathered all those kids? Stop living in la la land and move to Agege abeg.
Re: Advantages Of Polygamy? by yemivictor: 1:56pm On Jan 23, 2008
hotfunmi:

1. Polygamy is usually the precursor to early death because 9 out of 10 polygamous homes are always in tumoil and disarray.

2. A man that has no peace in his life is knocking on deaths door because You and I know that men cannot survive stress like women. So, polygamy is a recipe for early death.

3. Although monogamy does not guarantee happiness, but you have a high chance of achieving happiness and tranquility to polygamy besides the children are happier because they usually have more for themselves.{one advantage of polygamy}

4. Didn't you read from the newstands that about 33 or more of Abiolas children tested negative to his DNA? where do you live? la la land? Do you think he fathered all those kids? Stop living in la la land and move to Agege abeg.

Funmi! o npami lerin o! While i agree with nos 1-3, i was actually making jest of you
for saying "Abiola had thirty something children by . . . oh! i get you now!! i'm so sorry!!!
Please forgive me! cheesy
Re: Advantages Of Polygamy? by yemivictor: 2:07pm On Jan 23, 2008
@ Funmi,

I'm also asking you to name one advantage of a monogamous arrangement to the society
now don't tell me they don't produce "areaboys" because some of them actually do too!
Re: Advantages Of Polygamy? by ihesiajulo(m): 3:20pm On Jan 23, 2008
ikamefe na wetin you like be that? you are free oh one no do you?
Re: Advantages Of Polygamy? by Blatant: 3:29pm On Jan 23, 2008
YES. we should ban polygamy but allow men and women to fuk anyone they like just like they do abroad and if they get caught, the women can just say their men dont give them enough attention or that they have fallen 'in love' with someone else.

What's the difference between polygamists and those who fuk around abroad?

make I hear word jare
Re: Advantages Of Polygamy? by tosruyi(m): 3:37pm On Jan 23, 2008
Firstly I don't think there should be a double standard, The world should not revolve around one sex. If men should be allowed to more than one wife, then I think women should be allowed to marry more than one husband. Crazy idea, I know. But until we wrap our heads around the fact that men and women ARE equal, topics like this will continue to rise.
Now everything in life has its advantages and disadvantages.; Everyone has to weigh pros and cons and choose. I could name advantages and disadvantages but I will leave em for later
Re: Advantages Of Polygamy? by idonland(m): 3:54pm On Jan 23, 2008
Blatant:

YES. we should ban polygamy but allow men and women to fuk anyone they like just like they do abroad and if they get caught, the women can just say their men don't give them enough attention or that they have fallen 'in love' with someone else.

What's the difference between polygamists and those who fuk around abroad?

make I hear word jare

sad Unfortunately what we fail to realize is that society as we know it is breaking down as a result of all the promiscuity, I live in America and the statistics are alarming, fewer and fewer children are being born to parents that are married. And that results in less structure upbringing for the children and as a result they are often under developed in some social aspects (although there are exceptions). But with that said, polygamy in promiscuity are totally different because for starters there is no commitment when someone sleeps around, in polygamy there is commitment, where if you father a child you have to raise him or her and love that child equally as you do the rest of your kids. Also you have to provide for the mother both financially and emotionally, and be more than a sperm donor.

Also we have to realise that because a man has 5 wives, it will not stop him from sleeping around, how do you think he got his 3rd 4th and 5th wives, his wasn't satisfied with just 2. I had a neighbor who had 4 wives all living under the same roof, needless to say there was chaos in the house quite often. The father tried to get with a family friend of ours, the crazy part is that he didnt hide it from his wives, they were almost numb to it. it was my father who talked to him and told him it wasn't right.

All in all polygamy doesnt have and advantages to the society, it may profit the man (and greatly so) but not the society. Obviously there are some families that it worked out for but im pretty sure that majority of the polygamous homes are not happy homes for everyone in them.
Re: Advantages Of Polygamy? by ChiefS(m): 4:09pm On Jan 23, 2008
Polygamy is demonic.No advantages whatsoever
Re: Advantages Of Polygamy? by Nobody: 4:13pm On Jan 23, 2008
ChiefS:

Says Mr. Nairaland.
Re: Advantages Of Polygamy? by Bossman(m): 4:17pm On Jan 23, 2008
Absolutely NO advantages. The title should probably read "Disadvantages of Polygamy". I still do not understand why a man in their right man would want to marry more than 1 wife.
Re: Advantages Of Polygamy? by Nobody: 4:25pm On Jan 23, 2008
someone said something about  person earning N50,000 marrying 4 wives. it seems the most fundamental issue of polygamy has been overlooked. men marry more than one wife  because they have 'arrived'. being a big man is a matter of perception ( village big man and city big man are different)  .men marry second wives when they have 'arrived'.  you always observe that the second wife will always be hotter and more cha cha than the first wife( anyone yakking about education obviously doesn't know  what she's talking about. go and look at the wives of ex milads etal.those women are almost never the first wife. they may be the official wife - but they aren't the first. they had no qualms about being a second wife)

in the west, when a so inclined man makes it, he dumps his wife and marries a trophy wife (sort of like trading in your 2001 benz for a 2007 benz). in nigeria, he marries a second wife and the first wife fades into the background. there's your advantage. at least in africa, where ploygamy is not a crime, the woman's welfare is in less jeopardy since she is still married to the man.

also, it takes two to tango. these second wives usually start off as adulterous girlfriends. what does that say about the morals/standards of women?

to those halfwit scholars of Islam (who choose to attribute polygamy solely to islam) - a muslim may marry up to four wives if he can treat them equally.
Re: Advantages Of Polygamy? by Blatant: 4:46pm On Jan 23, 2008
oyb:

in the west, when a so inclined man makes it, he dumps his wife and marries a trophy wife (sort of like trading in your 2001 benz for a 2007 benz). in nigeria, he marries a second wife and the first wife fades into the background. there's your advantage. at least in africa, where ploygamy is not a crime, the woman's welfare is in less jeopardy since she is still married to the man.

True.

In the west, the women will divorce when they want to have other men and there are always excuses for such actions.

OK. maybe we should tell men to divorce before marrying any other woman. Then we will have more rejected women for playing men to play around with grin
Re: Advantages Of Polygamy? by badaru1(m): 5:00pm On Jan 23, 2008
You people are too emotional about the practice of either polygamy or monogamy. It depends on the person practicing it. One man's meet is another man's poison. Remember you can single and be poor,and also have ten wives and be rich. I t is all from God. If you know that you can manage polygamous life go a head,if u cant go with one wife, if u cant remain single for there are all okay.
Re: Advantages Of Polygamy? by chura(m): 5:09pm On Jan 23, 2008
polygamy ought to have been an oldschool by now.
everymale should forget about the idea.
Re: Advantages Of Polygamy? by jaymobb(m): 5:29pm On Jan 23, 2008
ChiefS:

sharap, grin there is no realtionship watsoeva btw demons and polygamy

somepple wuld jst b sayin wat they dont know angry

solomon in the bible had 700wives and 300concubines o! and still was blessed.
Re: Advantages Of Polygamy? by Nobody: 5:34pm On Jan 23, 2008
jaymobb:

sharap, grin there is no realtionship watsoeva between demons and polygamy

somepple wuld jst b sayin what they don't know angry

solomon in the bible had 700wives and 300concubines o! and still was blessed.

Did he also have a penis?
Re: Advantages Of Polygamy? by Emad(f): 5:38pm On Jan 23, 2008
the only advantage is that u learn to hate and fight
this helps u to die quicker so that u leave this evil world lipsrsealed grin
Re: Advantages Of Polygamy? by jaymobb(m): 5:51pm On Jan 23, 2008
Emad:

the only advantage is that u learn to hate and fight
this helps u to die quicker so that u leave this evil world lipsrsealed grin

grin grin grin grin and after u are dead and gone the fight wuld still continue btw your plenty wives

infact there is no advantage because na so dem go dey swear 4 u inside grave ova inheritance grin
Re: Advantages Of Polygamy? by Emad(f): 5:58pm On Jan 23, 2008
jaymobb:

infact there is no advantage because na so them go dey swear for you inside grave ova inheritance grin

Buhahahhahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa grin nice one
Re: Advantages Of Polygamy? by Nobody: 6:01pm On Jan 23, 2008
hmmmm,

Some guys have made very important points here.

Polygamy as lots of advantages and disadvantage if its misused.

I know the high birth rate in polygamous families is really worrisome but does that mean it ain't got its advantage.

Some religions give a go ahead to polygamy based on their reasons.

It is obvious that when a permission is granted for something, people may take advantage of such permission and use it for satisfying their personal pleasures.

But we need to know the socieal advantages of Polygamy.

In agricultural societies, human labour is essential and therefore, poly- gamy provids more hands to work in the fields and produce more food, or more cashcrops for sale. Thus, polygamy produced wealth, at least for the man as well as the whole group which the patriarch supported.

Polygamy insured that most marriageable girls were married off. Women tended to outnumber men because, men naturally die in larger numbers and earlier than women. Women are genetically tougher than men! Morever, men also tended to engage in dangerous or fatal activities such as wars, hunting and fighting one another in drunken querrels!

In most of traditional Africa, there is a custom of leverate or widow inheritance. A brother's wives passes on to the father or another brother on his death! .It is designed to ensure that no widows or orphans would be left with provision and family or tender care.

Also, our body of law recognises marriage under native customs and practises which also legitimizes polygamy.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

"My Cook, My ATM": Pre-Wedding Photoshoot / Man Dumps His Girlfriend Of 5 Years After Discovering She Has A Secret Child / Couple Who Met In Primary School Got Married & Have A Kid Who Now Attends Same

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.