Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,317 members, 7,819,077 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:55 AM

Your Thoughts On African Americans Moving Back To Africa. - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Your Thoughts On African Americans Moving Back To Africa. (40213 Views)

WELCOME TO AFRICA - 15 Funny Attributes That Suggest That You Might Be African / Do African Americans Have A Culture? / African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (27) (Go Down)

Re: Your Thoughts On African Americans Moving Back To Africa. by prettyboi1(m): 1:18pm On Feb 20, 2013
martinosi:

I feel your pain bro and understand your point very well and its a valid and truthful point but lets
keep the discussion civil and friendly and educate our AA brothers about the reality and truth
in a loving way.. Peace...
Alright bro, thanks a lot. Point taken. Cheers.
Re: Your Thoughts On African Americans Moving Back To Africa. by manny4life(m): 1:20pm On Feb 20, 2013
Blyss: I personally know of many well off Black-Americans and Afro-Caribbeans who have stated that they wouldn't mind moving their families and business operations to Africa and this includes me as well, but one major hang up is a strong lack of acceptance to live under African rule. Now you can call this bigoted or hateful in some other fashion, but in all reality the majority of the reasoning expressed in regard to the issue, were not so much bigoted as apposed to being simply being of a mind set of wanting to fully control the surroundings of their operations.

They basically want to gather up a congregation of middle and upper class black diaspora and buy out a large stretch land from, let say Angola or the DR. Congo, with an agreement for the said land to be fully liberated into the control of the group, to stand as their own independent nation, void of any African natives . They'll bring their money, businesses and such to this land and basically turn it into a progressive utopia of their life back in the Americas.

I mentioned this to a few Africans I associate with, and they found this highly offensive, for various reasons. But I'd like to know what you'all think of such a desire or plan.

Your idea is good but eh, Africa doesn't work like that. This wasn't like the 1800/1900 when you purchase a land like the U.S did, land in Africa is SACRED and for this purpose it will not work...Although I'm of the support that African are gradually moving back home, but Africa will def get it together someday, at least without western influence, or when the people wise up and rise against their evil actions of their leaders.

4 Likes

Re: Your Thoughts On African Americans Moving Back To Africa. by success9(m): 1:22pm On Feb 20, 2013
d idea is ok.., it means they will come with their wealth, xperience et al...but the idea of sovereignity is not possible. And to think that locals will be short out is worse...proud and selfish reasonin I must say.

If they really want to have a sense of belongin, gather some brothers, buy a place, build an estate and integrate into the system. U av to accept the people if u are to live in peace.

Why would u want to come Africa and treat Africans like third class persons? It cant happen. I feel bad to know ur ancestors were sold mostly by their kings back then but that is no good reason to want to treat africans with disdain? Trust me, its an insult to Africans. You will do well to settle within d structures as it is available now.

Nobody will stop you from coming into politics.., u can help make things better

1 Like

Re: Your Thoughts On African Americans Moving Back To Africa. by AfroBlue(m): 1:24pm On Feb 20, 2013
one success story

About David Robinson

Harvesting History

In many ways, David Robinson has followed in his late father's footsteps. But he was never a baseball player. David Robinson sells coffee and lives in a place where no one even cares about the New York Yankees.

Jackie Robinson, David's father, was one of the world's greatest athletes. As the first African American in the Major Leagues, his triumphs are well documented in books and film, and in Major League Baseball's Hall of Fame.

The unimaginable pressure that his father felt left an imprint on a nation, and on David. It was character more than catching, heroism more than hitting, that David felt the need to live up to.

Into Africa

David's journey to create Sweet Unity Farms began long ago, when David was trekking through Africa. Stirred by the beauty and poverty there, he purchased land in Tanzania to start a cooperative coffee farm.

His hope was to help local farmers join together to build a thriving business. Now married with children and living in Tanzania with his family, his goal is as large as the civil rights struggle his father helped champion.

Growing Dignity

David is attempting to use his unique position to change the way people in Tanzania live and work. He’s formed a cooperative of approximately 650 small coffee farms which, rather than selling its raw coffee to multinational buyers in Tanzania, is marketing it directly in North America.

The name for this venture came as naturally as David's will to lead it: Sweet Unity Farms. The collective, with David's leadership, is creating a new model of progressive economic development.

His work is transforming poverty into equality. Sweet Unity Farms coffee now offers hope to a people, and carries on his father’s legacy.
-------------------------------------------------------------

Mr. Coffee

TOOLBOX

By Lynne Duke
Washington Post Staff Writer
Monday, July 4, 2005

The coffee farmer from Africa used to build houses in Harlem. He used to study at Stanford and protest war and racism. He fought with his fists as a black kid under siege by first-grade classmates at a white private school in Connecticut.

For fun, he'd ride unprotected on his childhood horse named Diamond, even swim with the beast in the pond on his family's six-acre estate.

And when little David Robinson, his big sister Sharon and older brother Jackie Jr. went out to dinner with their parents, they were amazed when crowds would line up to get an autograph from their famous father, Jackie Robinson, the pride of black America, the first black man in baseball's major leagues.

The coffee farmer from Africa is tall and erect, as his father was. And he's got the same rich dark skin, piercing eyes and strong brow, though the thick beard and dashiki hint at a different kind of life, one that would have perplexed his late father.

He is here for the Smithsonian Folklife Festival, where his Tanzanian Arabica coffee is being featured. The American Institute of Wine and Food held a reception at David Greggory restaurant for him and some Bolivian chocolate makers too. The question on everyone's lips, as always, was: How did this man become a coffee farmer in Africa?

"I was blessed to have gone to Tanzania when I was 15, in the company of my mother; went back at 19; settled there in 1984," says Robinson, giving the short answer. "I went to be involved in international economics. Coffee is the largest foreign exchange earner for Tanzania. America is the largest consumer of coffee in the world.

"I was a fisherman for a moment," he adds wryly, "but my first export of lobster was declared spoiled."

He ticks off this progression, this reasoning, as if it were pure logic, cause and effect, that called him to Africa.

But the story of how this scion of a civil rights icon transplanted himself in Africa goes much deeper. In fact, it goes to the roots of the Jackie Robinson legacy, to the civil rights struggle, to slavery.

It is a deeply American story, though it is playing out in Africa -- mirroring all those African stories that were played out in America. And the fact that he is a descendant of Africans shipped to America in chains is why a reverse trek, a return to Africa, seemed a logical move for someone with Robinson's ideologic bent.

What he once did in Harlem, building houses for his father's construction company, then building sweat equity in a black real estate cooperative, Robinson, 53, is doing in a different way in Africa. He views his work as a melding of black aspirations from both sides of the Atlantic.

He called himself a pan-Africanist during the 1970s when many black activists in the United States and Africa espoused a common purpose. Robinson still hews to that ideal, though now he calls himself a "humanist." His focus, though, remains the same: lifting the race, as folks used to say in his father's day.

One wonders whether his father would approve of his son's African life.

"He would recognize the intent of opening opportunity and developing potential, which was very much the focus of his life," says Robinson during an interview on the Mall at his Folklife Festival display.

"He would be perplexed at why that needed to be done 10,000 miles away, in Africa, rural Africa particularly."

Africa imprinted itself on Robinson's consciousness at the age of 14, during his youthful travels there with his mother, Rachel Robinson.

Five years later, he spent nearly a year roaming the continent following the 1971 death of his big brother, Jackie Jr., who had become addicted to heroin while serving in Vietnam and died in an automobile accident, driving David's car.

His death ripped the family's heart. Rachel Robinson, now 82, wrote in her 1996 memoir, "Jackie Robinson: An Intimate Portrait," "In that moment I felt we had gained so much in life and lost it all when we lost our Jackie." (Jackie Sr. would die a year later.)

"When Jackie Jr. was killed, David spent a year walking the east coast of Africa by himself," Rachel Robinson recalls. "That told me something about where he went for comfort and where he went to deal with the grief."

So when he moved there, she was not altogether surprised. But she has worried, she says, that his life there would become a rejection of America.

Robinson says that wasn't the point.

"I wasn't leaving America," he says. "I never left America forever. I wasn't going to sit up on a mountaintop in Africa or a beach in Africa and just chill and stay there. It was always going to be about how black people in America and Africa need each other."

And it was also, for him, a way to recapture the sense of identity that he feels within the African American community. He compares it to trauma, a kind of psychic branding, passed from generation to generation.

Robinson moved to Tanzania 21 years ago, first settling in the capital, Dar es Salaam. Initially, he tried exporting African art. Then he tried the fish trade. Finally he moved into coffee.

Out in the lush highlands of the Mbozi district of the southwestern Tanzania region whose coffee is praised the world over, Robinson has built a life, raised a family and seen his goals begin to flower.

Among African Americans who move to Africa, Robinson is relatively unusual for plunging deep into the African wilderness. His 280-acre farm, called Sweet Unity, includes 60 acres that he and one of his sons cleared. Robinson enlists up to 50 relatives and neighbors from other farms to harvest his coffee; similarly he helps with neighboring harvests.

It is part of the Mshikamano Farmers Group, a 10-year-old cooperative whose product, Sweet Unity Farms coffee, is featured at the Folklife Festival's Food Culture USA program.

Robinson, as the group's marketing manager, is seeking new retail and corporate clients. To earn better prices for the crops of Mshikamano's 300 coffee farms, Robinson is swimming against the currents of the global coffee trade by trying to market their product directly to buyers. (Sweet Unity Farms coffee can be found in markets in Atlanta and New York, but not yet in the District.)

And Robinson and the cooperative are battling Mbozi's unforgiving environment, filled with malaria, backbreaking work, a history of poverty and farming failures.

As a driving force in starting Mshikamano, Robinson found his presence duly noted by grant makers at the African Development Foundation, a U.S.-government organization, which awarded the cooperative $210,000 this year for such supports as tools and fertilizers.

"The fact that he would move there, start a family there, live in the village with no electricity, no running water: It's quite a commitment," says Tom Coogan, ADF's representative for eastern and southern Africa. "And I think he really understood at the local level both what the farmers needed and how he could help."

In Tanzania, Robinson is affectionately known, in Kiswahili, as M negro (the Negro). His life takes the appellation "African American" to a whole new level, for Robinson is living an African life, not just acknowledging Africa with a name.

In 1990, he petitioned local authorities in Mbozi for land, which meant explaining why he, a non-Tanzanian, should be granted such a privilege. Despite letters of introduction from government contacts on the coast, his first couple of pitches were rejected. The third village, Bara, seemed more open to the idea.

Robinson presented himself to the village authorities as a descendant of Africa, once separated from the continent and its tribes by slavery, who had returned to claim a place.

"Traditionally in an African society, a social member, a tribal member, has a village and all villagers look out for and will allocate land to their members," he explains.

So he told them, "By history, I lost my location. But I am choosing this location and I want you, based on that principle, to give me some consideration."
The village's "political science committee" unanimously approved his petition and gave him a piece of remote forest land a 45-minute walk from the nearest farm.

Robinson then began his search for a bride. A family of the Wanyamwezi tribe adopted him to assist in the process (one can't just show up in rural Africa and ask a young woman for a date). They sent a delegation out in the Mbozi region to prospect for marriage-aged women.

Robinson knew he wanted to meet a Nyamwezi woman because he thought they would share a similar consciousness as descendants of enslaved people. (The Wanyamwezi were heavily raided in the 19th century by Arab slave traders along Africa's east coast.) He also admits that he had his eye on the Wanyamwezi because its women are reputed to be beautiful.

Out of the search process emerged Ruti Mpunda, then 18. They have been married for 15 years, have grown to love one another, says Robinson, and have had seven children. One, named Jack, died from malaria at the age of 4 more than a decade ago.

The family lived in the remote village of Bara until three years ago. Robinson moved them to the capital, to be closer to proper schools. But he spends most of his time at the farm, at Sweet Unity.

From his land he can see Lake Rukwa, among the smaller lakes of the Great Rift Valley of Africa, just south of Lake Tanganyika. He can survey coffee lands, as far as the eye can see, that he will pass on to his children.

His father, after baseball, was an executive for the Chock Full O'Nuts coffee empire in New York. But Robinson doesn't think that influenced his choice of vocation. His workplace is deep in the African bush, a place his father would never have gone. (His mother has visited Tanzania several times, though the rough trek to the farm from the capital, about 16 hours by car, became too rigorous as her age advanced.)

Robinson is a celebrated figure in the region. A man who has committed himself to helping the farmers better their lives. An African American who has come back. Mnegro.

"They have no idea who Jackie Robinson is," says Coogan, who has traveled in the region. "They don't know what baseball is. But they're in awe of what David has done."

Robinson chuckles fondly as he uses the term that is archaic in America, saying, "The Negroes will always be remembered in Mbozi."

[img]http://3.bp..com/_ww90pQP-08Y/S8d_sbbUq3I/AAAAAAAACQI/wE3reaXnOWI/s1600/jackie-robinson.jpg[/img]

Harry Warnecke/ New York Daily News
Published: 02/15/2013 1:30:26
Jackie Robinson, 1947
Although Jackie Robinson is revered as one of the first African Americans to break the color barrier, New York boasts a rich history of many such firsts - not only in sports, but also the realm of arts, politics, public service and even the world of finance. Check out the list. There are lots of surprises ... In 1947 Robinson was signed to the Brooklyn Dodgers, paving the way for African Americans to play in Major League Baseball.
http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/new-york-firsts-black-history-gallery-1.51194#ixzz2LRPzn6Y8

[img]http://www.corbisimages.com/images/Corbis-U1431680.jpg?size=67&uid=81119c56-273d-4013-933d-89aa96bc6e75[/img]

with Nelson Rockefeller(former U.S. V.P./NY Governor, and the late Senator Jacob Javits

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Your Thoughts On African Americans Moving Back To Africa. by AjanleKoko: 1:35pm On Feb 20, 2013
After all said, I find it quite interesting that AAs are organized enough to contemplate this kind of move.
Something for we Africans to think about. Especially we homegrown Africans.
Re: Your Thoughts On African Americans Moving Back To Africa. by onitshaigbo(m): 2:30pm On Feb 20, 2013
I see, AAs are tired of being 2nd class citizens in America, so they want to come to Africa and oppress others! Dream on!

It's a well-known thing that African immigrants in America look down on AAs, and that African students outperform them in universities by a huge margin, and these people want to come to our countries and demand this and that as if colonizing us? You've got to be kidding me.

They do realize that Africa doesn't have welfare or affirmative action, right?

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Your Thoughts On African Americans Moving Back To Africa. by PAGAN9JA(m): 3:28pm On Feb 20, 2013
pretty_boi: You all must be mad. You want to come to Africa & have a "special land" for yourself where you run your own government & don't allow Native Africans in? You guys had better carried your lands with you from wherever you're coming from & attach it to the African map cos right now,there's no free space on the African map for good for nothing African American goats who think they are better than native Africans & want their own "special" countries & government. If you guys want to come back to Africa to mix into the African population,that's good but if you guys want a special country because your slave-asses think you're better than native Africans,then you guys had better stay wherever you are at & worship your slave-masters forever.
Blacks are the most foolish people I know. Why would fellow blacks think they are better than fellow blacks? It's this kind of mentality that had us enslaved in the first place & we still haven't learnt shyte centuries after. Oh! You guys are better than native Africans? Why then are ALL black nations of the world 3rd world countries including those in the "mighty west" like Jamaica,Haiti,Trinidad & Tobago, etc.
LIBERIA IS A COUNTRY THAT FREE RETURNEE AMERICAN SLAVES (just like your African-American friends) RETURNED TO (this is why Liberia was never colonized & has a national flag similar to the American flag),YET THAT COUNTRY IS ONE OF THE COUNTRIES IN AFRICA THAT HAS SUFFERED THE MOST INSTABILITY WITH A SLIM HOPE FOR THE FUTURE. Rather than us uniting & building ourselves & our race,we'd stay & be fighting each other like goats. " I'm hausa,you're Igbo,screw yoruba people, I'm African-American,you're native African,I'm light-skinned,you're dark-skinned." What the fukkh? Can't we learn to live as ONE GREAT BLACK PEOPLE? We really have serious psychological problems honestly.

God Bless the Federal Republic of Nigeria. Amen.
God Bless mama Africa. Amen.

we will never be 1 people. we are not half-breds. we are not racists so black and this akata concept based on skin colour does not apply to us and is not accepted by us.

We are a diverse variety of people and we should make this our strength. we can be united, but this doesnt mean we start mating with each other. Africa is what she is because of her various tribal and ethnic groups. Our cultures , identities , languages, etc., make us the TRUE PEOPLE.

to hell with your racism!

I AM PROUD TO BE HAUSA! THIS IS MY TRIBE , MY IDENTITY AND MY NATIONALITY! THIS DOESNT MEAN I HATE OTHER TRIBES! I LOVE LL TRIBES BUT IM PROUD OF MY INDIVIDUAL GODS-GIVEN IDENTITY AND YOU SHOULD BE TOO!
Re: Your Thoughts On African Americans Moving Back To Africa. by purplebrown: 4:30pm On Feb 20, 2013
Came across lots of AAs in cape town, especially in the university of cape town.
Re: Your Thoughts On African Americans Moving Back To Africa. by Blyss: 5:10pm On Feb 20, 2013
sweetcheecks:

@Op, it really depends on why you feel the need to come back? Is it becouse you want a land or country that you can call your own? Or is it becouse you want to be in Africa as home? Or are there any other reasons?

I for one know manny AA who have moved permanently to SA and are living in the affluent surburbs and are happy and have their community churches and social gathering/ fiests every now and then. They seem to be quite happy with their lives and have assimulated well to the country.

I think your response to this will shed more light in answering your question.

I think I've explained the reasoning pretty well in prior posts, so if you'd like a detailed explanation, just go back to the first two pages and read my posts, but in brief your first reason given is most accurate, with a heavy economic component additive associated with such desire. I explained it all very well in prior posts.
Re: Your Thoughts On African Americans Moving Back To Africa. by Kairoseki77: 5:53pm On Feb 20, 2013
As an Akata/African American I can say that this idea is unnecessary. Here are some realistic options...

1. Move to an African country and set up your life there. I am planning on moving to Nigeria once I finish college and my masters degree to get involved in the many business opportunities. 

2. Move to a majority black country in the Americas. Jamaica is a good example. Hell, you could even move to Atlanta, Georgia.

If African Americans were a country, we would have a total GDP of 1.15 trillion dollars. That is equal to the GDP of the entire African continent in 2013. Why should AA's let Chinese and Europeans get all the benefits of investing in Africa's growth? If AA's and Africans work together we can build a powerful, rich continent where everyone is welcome.

Get involved in the African renaissance, don't try to start some separate country.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Your Thoughts On African Americans Moving Back To Africa. by GooseBaba: 5:53pm On Feb 20, 2013
pleep: By 1978 Isreal was the most developed country in the Middle East. They were able to beat back almost the whole region in the 1967 Six Day War and were able to hold off the most powerful arab nation (Eygpt) in 1973.

Not to mention they had nukes, 24 hour electicity, and agricultural and finance system etc.

Will this AA movement also receive billions of dollars in aid from the pocket of US taxpayers? Would they also be seen as friends and allies of the US? If no..! Then I give them Liberian status...
Re: Your Thoughts On African Americans Moving Back To Africa. by AfroBlue(m): 6:59pm On Feb 20, 2013
@Op

Got any proof other than your personal hearsay? Links, websites, FB pages to back up your claims? Why would western blacks want to form an apartheid system in the mother/fatherland after being on the front lines of the international South Africa protests? It goes against the grain of any black power unity movement, or ideology. Most westernized Bougie kneegroes are comfortable and aren't trying to leave oyinbo lands. Caribbean folks have their hands full developing their countries.

Anyway, a Ghanian writer penned an astute essay a few years ago.

How Africans Lost Power ‘In The World’

http://www.ghanaweb.com/GhanaHomePage/NewsArchive/artikel.php?ID=167965

By Kwabena Boateng Jacaboba
Re: Your Thoughts On African Americans Moving Back To Africa. by AfroBlue(m): 7:07pm On Feb 20, 2013
Michaeljones36: As an Akata/African American I can say that this idea is unnecessary.

Get involved in the African renaissance, don't try to start some separate country.

Ever watched the documentary 'Blacks Without Borders'? It backs up your business plan. Form alliances and get involved in the day to day struggle where you think you can fit in, be an positive asset, and help contribute success to the continent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMuVpnSlbZk

1 Like

Re: Your Thoughts On African Americans Moving Back To Africa. by Blyss: 7:19pm On Feb 20, 2013
author=sweetcheecks]

@Op, I think you answer my previous questions in this piece. I am shocked shocked shocked shocked at your proposal, especially when you are explaining in detail. Meaning you want to come back here to
1.Take advantage of the riches of this land and lock out natives of that land

LOL. No use of the resources of the area in which is obtained, is an obvious end factor of the greater goal of simply obtaining an independent nation, obviously. The effort won't be for some land grab effort to obtain natural resources but rather for the acquisition of an independent state. smiley I'd consider it a right obtained in the name of our ancestors stolen from the continent centuries ago by both fellow African and European captures.

2. You have no interest in the people or the culture of African

I wouldn't say that. I and many other AA have great interest in such, and many other don't, but neither has any regard in the effort of discussion.. in that it is totally focused on the interest and preservation obtained as an independent people of African descent in America. We will not come to become indoctrinated, but rather to come and remain as we are, and share in what ever we can offer to fellow african nations and take in from them whatever we see as viable to our own growth. Same as any other relationship between separate peoples and nations the world round.

3. Want to come and build another America in Africa

Well we are Americans, so it's only common sense that we would build a nation in which will highly resemble the land in which we come from. This has been the case with the migration of people throughout time. If you go to German settled areas of the US, you'll notice that a lot of the homes and other structures are built in typical German style, same as if you were to go to a traditional Italian, Spanish or French area of the nation.

4. Are you familiar with the of "Apartheid system" in SA? Those people were thinking exactly like you do.

Humm, somewhat but not totally. They actually came to steal the land and in time have little to nothing to do with any Africans anywhere on the continent. This is not what is proposed in this plan. What is proposed is, for an African nation to either voluntarily give up a piece of land free of charge, and or to sell it off to the migrants. All those who legitimately own land in the area given will be compensated, and if the area just has maybe a several thousand natives living there they may even be allowed to just stay in the nation as citizens with all the rights, and means as the rest. No Liberia repeat.

5. More specifically your idea sounds more like a so called "Afrikaaner homeland" Oranje in the Free state. Please google
this and see if you are not having the same aspirations as this
folks?

Not really, a major difference is that there wont be any natives in this nation preferably, but if it comes to incorporating some few thousand who live on the land into the nation then it'll obviously be done so to the fullest, via compensation for the land in which is documented as being of the ownership of any single individual(s); full rights under the established constitution will be given to them, though that ((maybe)) short of actually being able to obtain some certain levels of government, such as president, vice president, secretary of State and other critically high positions. That is in regard to the fact of the matter of that the nation is being established as an "AA/Diaspora nation".. PERIOD, in which such natives will given rights to remain in as citizens, for the simple fact of that they were there prior to the establishment of the nation... such is to be assessed and voted on by the a judicial and congressional body in the establishment of constitutional law for the nation. Other than that, immigration to and visa entry into the nation will be very strictly regulated and monitored.

I envision a nation in were it'll be virtually impossible to obtain citizenship unless you are an AA or other Diaspora and are coming upon being recruited in your nation by a operating company in the new nation, or you've obtained your college education here, and now seek to become a citizen, or you are a spouse and or direct dependent of a citizen in the nation. Illegal immigration into the nation will be virtually impossible, do to the presence of strictly secured entry points and robust security apparatuses along the boarders in which will also be in place for our security, do to the fact of that we'd know that many groups would not like our presence on the continent, and will possibly attempt to due us harm. This is clearly evident by just reading many of the comments here on this thread. angry

Yeah, one last thing. A military force VERY capable of addressing and handling covertly and or openly any threat to our sovereign statehood once established, and the security of our citizens THROUGHOUT the continent... will be established via direct transfer of professionals from throughout the American security apparatus to this new nation. The nation'll seek a friendly successful interaction with fellow African nations for the benefit of all, but their will be no Fu-cking around when it comes to it's security. Any threat will be met PROMPTLY and COMPLETELY by all means necessary, and make no mistake that the means obtained to act will run VERY deep. With this nation's economic standings it could be your best partner or it could be one of your worst threats.
Re: Your Thoughts On African Americans Moving Back To Africa. by zibe(m): 7:43pm On Feb 20, 2013
As I read all these, I can't help but feel sad for my dear country. This would not be happening if our leaders had seen beyond their greed and used their stolen monies to develop Africa as a whole instead of enriching their pocket.

By now, these people would practically be begging to return back to Africa and live in our lands instead of thinking they could lord over our lands. And of course it wouldn't be us moving out in drones to America and its likes. I wouldn't blame them, they've only seen the potentials that our governments have failed to see.

Maybe, just maybe, this plan would wake up the thieves in all the African countries pretending that they are doing a good job.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Your Thoughts On African Americans Moving Back To Africa. by Blyss: 8:08pm On Feb 20, 2013
Michaeljones36: As an Akata/African American I can say that this idea is unnecessary. Here are some realistic options...

1. Move to an African country and set up your life there. I am planning on moving to Nigeria once I finish college and my masters degree to get involved in the many business opportunities. 

2. Move to a majority black country in the Americas. Jamaica is a good example. Hell, you could even move to Atlanta, Georgia.

If African Americans were a country, we would have a total GDP of 1.15 trillion dollars. That is equal to the GDP of the entire African continent in 2013. Why should AA's let Chinese and Europeans get all the benefits of investing in Africa's growth? If AA's and Africans work together we can build a powerful, rich continent where everyone is welcome.

You know as well as I do that such will be ok up to the point when large communities of AA start taking over the economics of an are via pure numbers and economic strength, then as usually is the case in Africa, the natives of these areas will go tribal and claim we are trying to overlord them and push them out of certain areas, and next thing you know... they're gonna want to try and terrorize our presence and push us out by force, in which will simply lead to us Bleep-ing them up and us looking like the bad guys for picking on the poor natives; from there things spiral in to mayhem. It's just how Africa works; it's extremely tribal to a fault, and this is why I say that for any large AA presence to exist without conflict, it'll have to be done in our own nation, and from their we'd be able to help push economic growth throughout the continent.
Re: Your Thoughts On African Americans Moving Back To Africa. by andrewza: 8:10pm On Feb 20, 2013
Blyss:

LOL. No use of the resources of the area in which is obtained, is an obvious end factor of the greater goal of simply obtaining an independent nation, obviously. The effort won't be for some land grab effort to obtain natural resources but rather for the acquisition of an independent state. smiley I'd consider it a right obtained in the name of our ancestors stolen from the continent centuries ago by both fellow African and European captures.

I wouldn't say that. I and many other AA have great interest in such, and many other don't, but neither has any regard in the effort of discussion.. in that it is totally focused on the interest and preservation obtained as an independent people of African descent in America. We will not come to become indoctrinated, but rather to come and remain as we are, and share in what ever we can offer to fellow african nations and take in from them whatever we see as viable to our own growth. Same as any other relationship between separate peoples and nations the world round.

Well we are Americans, so it's only common sense that we would build a nation in which will highly resemble the land in which we come from. This has been the case with the migration of people throughout time. If you go to German settled areas of the US, you'll notice that a lot of the homes and other structures are built in typical German style, same as if you were to go to a traditional Italian, Spanish or French area of the nation.

Humm, somewhat but not totally. They actually came to steal the land and in time have little to nothing to do with any Africans anywhere on the continent. This is not what is proposed in this plan. What is proposed is, for an African nation to either voluntarily give up a piece of land free of charge, and or to sell it off to the migrants. All those who legitimately own land in the area given will be compensated, and if the area just has maybe a several thousand natives living there they may even be allowed to just stay in the nation as citizens with all the rights, and means as the rest. No Liberia repeat.

Not really, a major difference is that there wont be any natives in this nation preferably, but if it comes to incorporating some few thousand who live on the land into the nation then it'll obviously be done so to the fullest, via compensation for the land in which is documented as being of the ownership of any single individual(s); full rights under the established constitution will be given to them, though that ((maybe)) short of actually being able to obtain some certain levels of government, such as president, vice president, secretary of State and other critically high positions. That is in regard to the fact of the matter of that the nation is being established as an "AA/Diaspora nation".. PERIOD, in which such natives will given rights to remain in as citizens, for the simple fact of that they were there prior to the establishment of the nation... such is to be assessed and voted on by the a judicial and congressional body in the establishment of constitutional law for the nation. Other than that, immigration to and visa entry into the nation will be very strictly regulated and monitored.

I envision a nation in were it'll be virtually impossible to obtain citizenship unless you are an AA or other Diaspora and are coming upon being recruited in your nation by a operating company in the new nation, or you've obtained your college education here, and now seek to become a citizen, or you are a spouse and or direct dependent of a citizen in the nation. Illegal immigration into the nation will be virtually impossible, do to the presence of strictly secured entry points and robust security apparatuses along the boarders in which will also be in place for our security, do to the fact of that we'd know that many groups would not like our presence on the continent, and will possibly attempt to due us harm. This is clearly evident by just reading many of the comments here on this thread. angry

Yeah, one last thing. A military force VERY capable of addressing and handling covertly and or openly any threat to our sovereign statehood once established, and the security of our citizens THROUGHOUT the continent... will be established via direct transfer of professionals from throughout the American security apparatus to this new nation. The nation'll seek a friendly successful interaction with fellow African nations for the benefit of all, but their will be no Fu-cking around when it comes to it's security. Any threat will be met PROMPTLY and COMPLETELY by all means necessary, and make no mistake that the means obtained to act will run VERY deep. With this nation's economic standings it could be your best partner or it could be one of your worst threats.

sounds like apartheid/oranje state set up to me. And i still think that the rebels in the area you want to set up will have you has a target. There are rebel groups in the DRC that sole objective is to stop out siders robbing there land. I doubt you could muster enough military force if you brought only middle class educated BA and getho gang bangers will only make it become another Liberia

1 Like

Re: Your Thoughts On African Americans Moving Back To Africa. by 419forlife: 8:10pm On Feb 20, 2013
pretty_boi: You all must be mad. You want to come to Africa & have a "special land" for yourself where you run your own government & don't allow Native Africans in?

fashie na blyss irish dagbo i dey fear do obama.

pretty_boi:
If you guys want to come back to Africa to mix into the African population,that's good but if you guys want a special country because your slave-asses think you're better than native Africans,then you guys had better stay wherever you are at & worship your slave-masters forever.

you dey go tell dem no lol na sabi sabi dagbo kaita for real africa americas

pretty_boi:
Blacks are the most foolish people I know.

na wa business some africa americas not all do blyss naw
Re: Your Thoughts On African Americans Moving Back To Africa. by andrewza: 8:13pm On Feb 20, 2013
Blyss:

You know as well as I do that such will be ok up to the point when large communities of AA start taking over the economics of an are via pure numbers and economic strength, then as usually is the case in Africa, the natives of these areas will go tribal and claim we are trying to overlord them and push them out of certain areas, and next thing you know... they're gonna want to try and terrorize our presence and push us out by force, in which will simply lead to us Bleep-ing them up and us looking like the bad guys for picking on the poor natives; from there things spiral in to mayhem. It's just how Africa works; it's extremely tribal to a fault, and this is why I say that for any large AA presence to exist without conflict, it'll have to be done in our own nation, and from their we'd be able to help push economic growth throughout the continent.

your plan will make more conflict not less.
Re: Your Thoughts On African Americans Moving Back To Africa. by Blyss: 8:14pm On Feb 20, 2013
GooseBaba:

Will this AA movement also receive billions of dollars in aid from the pocket of US taxpayers? Would they also be seen as friends and allies of the US? If no..! Then I give them Liberian status...

Most likely yes, the US gov. would want to make to have their hand in on the situation.. which is ok, to an extent. The goal isn't to shatter our connection to the US, we'd obviously would want to maintain a strong connection to our homeland, where many of the citizens' family and friends and more will still be present, but such investment will only be supplementary to the greater form of investment in which will be independently obtained.
Re: Your Thoughts On African Americans Moving Back To Africa. by andrewza: 8:16pm On Feb 20, 2013
Blyss:

Most likely yes, the US gov. would want to make to have their hand in on the situation.. which is ok, to an extent. The goal isn't to shatter our connection to the US, we'd obviously would want to maintain a strong connection to our homeland, where many of the citizens' family and friends and more will still be present, but such investment will only be supplementary to the greater form of investment in which will be independently obtained.

you would be seen by many has a American colony
Re: Your Thoughts On African Americans Moving Back To Africa. by Blyss: 8:22pm On Feb 20, 2013
andrewza:

sounds like apartheid/oranje state set up to me. And i still think that the rebels in the area you want to set up will have you has a target. There are rebel groups in the DRC that sole objective is to stop out siders robbing there land. I doubt you could muster enough military force if you brought only middle class educated BA and getho gang bangers will only make it become another Liberia

Humm, well hopefully if such a nation ever comes about, we'll see how such rebels make out. cheesy It should be interesting.
Re: Your Thoughts On African Americans Moving Back To Africa. by 419forlife: 8:23pm On Feb 20, 2013
andrewza:

palava e get as e be i dey fear blyss cia spy.
Re: Your Thoughts On African Americans Moving Back To Africa. by tpia5: 8:24pm On Feb 20, 2013
*ignoring moniker*

a spy he definitely is, who he's working for is what's not clear.
Re: Your Thoughts On African Americans Moving Back To Africa. by Kairoseki77: 8:29pm On Feb 20, 2013
Guys...I think Blyss is a troll.

Akatas already live in Africa. They are all over the place, and many more will come and contribute as time goes on. The only person interested in starting a separate country is this fool.

2 Likes

Re: Your Thoughts On African Americans Moving Back To Africa. by Blyss: 8:29pm On Feb 20, 2013
andrewza:

Humm, if people want to think in such a way, then that's fine. It'll be no more of a colony than any other nation in which receives US federal investment into their economies or military for whatever reason the US gov. sees fit. If the US gov. wants to invest, then that's perfectly fine.
Re: Your Thoughts On African Americans Moving Back To Africa. by andrewza: 8:48pm On Feb 20, 2013
Blyss:

Humm, well hopefully if such a nation ever comes about, we'll see how such rebels make out. cheesy It should be interesting.

My money is on the rebels forcing you to leave. They may not destroy you in open battel but yjey could easy make it uneconmical to stay. And that if they don't work togethere. There are more rebel groupes in central africa than US states. Some are just bandits who rob civlians others are threats to nations like the LRA was and the M23 is. And don't think they fools. Some if not most are unedcated (M23 a not included) but most(at least those that are still around) are led by intelgent people who know there streghth and weakness and that of there enemy.

2 Likes

Re: Your Thoughts On African Americans Moving Back To Africa. by andrewza: 8:54pm On Feb 20, 2013
Blyss:

Humm, if people want to think in such a way, then that's fine. It'll be no more of a colony than any other nation in which receives US federal investment into their economies or military for whatever reason the US gov. sees fit. If the US gov. wants to invest, then that's perfectly fine.

Diffrence is there where around before the Aid. Even isreal was founded with out any out side help (I mean frome countries not privet people) and in some cases at to phiscally steal things auch has aircraft. You would be backed from the start by the US and thus seen has part of the US.
Re: Your Thoughts On African Americans Moving Back To Africa. by Blyss: 9:02pm On Feb 20, 2013
Michaeljones36: Guys...I think Blyss is a troll.

Akatas already live in Africa. They are all over the place, and many more will come and contribute as time goes on. The only person interested in starting a separate country is this fool.

LOL, so you call me a Troll for asking about a proposed idea? By the way, you know what I've stated to you is correct.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (27)

Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife / 5 Nigerian Monarchs That Own A Rolls Royce (see Photos) / Arugba Appears As Osun Osogbo Festival Hots Up

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 156
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.