Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,044 members, 7,814,574 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 03:27 PM

Muslims: How To Make Your Husband Happy - Islam for Muslims (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Muslims: How To Make Your Husband Happy (47863 Views)

18 Ways To Love Your Husband / 81 Ways To Win Your Husband's Love / Muslims! How Long Will You Be Searching Lail-al-qadr? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Muslims: How To Make Your Husband Happy by Nobody: 8:00pm On Feb 20, 2013
maclatunji:

1. intransitive verb yield: to accept somebody
else's authority or will.

Ok.
Since the man is meant to be the head of the house, the submission he is showing is not to the woman's authority but to her will.
He is submitting to her will i.e accepting her will over his according to your definition.
Will [wil]
noun (plural wills)
Something that somebody wants to happen: what a person or group, wants to happen (formal)
example: It was her will that he should never be told the truth.
Re: Muslims: How To Make Your Husband Happy by maclatunji: 9:16pm On Feb 20, 2013
^Nope, I made the distinction between concession and submission. He acknowledges her valid points and even defers some decisions to her but a man is not to submit to his wife, talkless of her will.

It is not in the design of Islam's definition of a husband to submit to the wife. Semantics won't get you out of this one. It is a divine decree, we all must accept it.
Re: Muslims: How To Make Your Husband Happy by zayhal(f): 9:22pm On Feb 20, 2013
You guys are still on this?
Re: Muslims: How To Make Your Husband Happy by maclatunji: 9:32pm On Feb 20, 2013
zayhal: You guys are still on this?

The young lady is looking for a loophole that will prove that a man has to submit to his wife in much the same way as the wife is instructed to submit to her husband in Islam.

I am helping her to accept the futility of that endeavour by following her all the way. cheesy
Re: Muslims: How To Make Your Husband Happy by Nobody: 10:23pm On Feb 20, 2013
maclatunji: ^Nope, I made the distinction between concession and submission. He acknowledges her valid points and even defers some decisions to her but a man is not to submit to his wife, talkless of her will.
You claim that men are not to submit to their wives, yet you defined submission as accepting the will of another person. You posted that definition, I didn't.
Are you saying that in marriages there should never come a time when the husband should accept the will of his wife?
Now you are saying men should defer and not submit. This is the definition of defer
DEFER [di fúr]
(past and past participle de-ferred, present participle de-fer-ring, 3rd person present singular de-fers)
intransitive verb
To concede precedence: to give way to, and usually acknowledge the merit of, somebody else's judgement, opinion, wishes or action.

So going by the definition above, husbands deferring to wives would mean giving precedence or greater priority/importance to the wives' judgement, opinion, wishes or actions.
How does this not mean the same thing as submitting/accepting the will of their wives?

It is not in the design of Islam's definition of a husband to submit to the wife. Semantics won't get you out of this one. It is a divine decree, we all must accept it.
I am not using semantics. I am going back to the basics in my definition of terms.
maclatunji:
The young lady is looking for a loophole that will prove that a man has to submit to his wife in much the same way as the wife is instructed to submit to her husband in Islam.
I am helping her to accept the futility of that endeavour by following her all the way. cheesy
How very cocky and patronising undecided
In my last post I said the husband is not submitting to the wife as an authority and before that I said that the I wasn't going to argue the fact that Islam places the man as the head of the house yet you claim that I am saying the husband should submit the same way the wife does? Are you even reading the things I am writing in this thread? All I said was that men would have to submit to their wives at some point in the marriage. I didn't say it must be the same way women submit.
Isn't it funny that you are so repulsed by the idea of submitting to another person yet you are very happy and eager to demand that other people submit?
Re: Muslims: How To Make Your Husband Happy by maclatunji: 10:57pm On Feb 20, 2013
^LOL, I am not repulsed at all by the idea. But it really isn't about me. It is about what God says. A muslim is not allowed to water-down God's injunctions which is essentially what you are trying to do.

Let me break it down for you. In matters of the family whether it be man and wife alone or in addition to children. Any decision of the wife that prevails over the family will only be without sin if the man approves, that will never be tagged 'submission' in the context of Islam. No one can say the same about the wife within the context of Islam. A man may take many decisions without his wife's approval and would not have sinned.

I say this not to disrespect, belittle or deride women but because I am a Muslim and that is what Islam says.

Anybody that wants something else may have it but should not present it as a part of Islam- QED.

1 Like

Re: Muslims: How To Make Your Husband Happy by maclatunji: 11:07pm On Feb 20, 2013
When I say 'defer' this is what I mean:

To delegate to another <he could defer his
job to no one — J. A. Michener>

Don't play with words with me my dear.
Re: Muslims: How To Make Your Husband Happy by Nobody: 11:39pm On Feb 20, 2013
maclatunji: ^LOL, I am not repulsed at all by the idea. But it really isn't about me. It is about what God says. A muslim is not allowed to water-down God's injunctions which is essentially what you are trying to do.
To water down means to make something less difficult or to weaken it. I am not trying to water down God's injunctions and your claiming that that is what I am doing does not make it the truth.
Let me break it down for you. In matters of the family whether it be man and wife alone or in addition to children. Any decision of the wife that prevails over the family will only be without sin if the man approves, that will never be tagged 'submission' in the context of Islam.
What is it tagged in the context of Islam?
No one can say the same about the wife within the context of Islam. A man may take many decisions without his wife's approval and would not have sinned.
Wrong. A man taking many decisions without his wife's approval is not part of the kindness or compassion that he is supposed to show to her. Even if she doesn't agree with his decision, he is obligated to explain these decisions to her to get her to approve of them. What you are saying is that it isn't a sin for a husband to do whatever he likes regardless of whether his wife is happy with these things. Statements like these make Islam look like a religion that does not place importance on wives' needs.
Re: Muslims: How To Make Your Husband Happy by Nobody: 11:47pm On Feb 20, 2013
maclatunji: When I say 'defer' this is what I mean:
To delegate to another <he could defer his
job to no one — J. A. Michener>
Defer has different meanings. How was I to know that this is what you meant? Besides, this your definition has nothing to do with choosing one decision or opinion is chosen over another. It only talks about delegating a task to another person, it doesn't talk about giving precedence to another person's choices. It is rather unsuitable for describing what you had in mind.
Don't play with words with me my dear.
Let this be the last time you would patronise me on this thread.
Re: Muslims: How To Make Your Husband Happy by maclatunji: 11:58pm On Feb 20, 2013
^The fact that a husband explains his decisions to his wife does not mean she will accept or approve. Her disapproval does not mean he has sinned.

The determination of what a sin is has never been dependent on people's emotions in Islam. The easiest example is marrying a second wife, most women disapprove even after explanations. Are you saying the man has sinned if she does not approve? That would be ludicrous.

Kindness to a wife does not translate to a wife's hapiness. A man may decide to buy an X5 for his wife and she would still be unhappy insisting she wants a Range Rover Sport.

You have over the past 2 days tried to elevate things that are highly recommended as compulsory. Things like consultation, delegation of authority are highly recommended not compulsory for the husband.

If you insist they are, bring Islamic proof(s).
Re: Muslims: How To Make Your Husband Happy by maclatunji: 12:01am On Feb 21, 2013
fellis: Defer has different meanings. How was I to know that this is what you meant? Besides, this your definition has nothing to do with choosing one decision or opinion is chosen over another. It only talks about delegating a task to another person, it doesn't talk about giving precedence to another person's choices. It is rather unsuitable for describing what you had in mind.
Let this be the last time you would patronise me on this thread.

No more debate again. Your feelings are getting unnecessarily hurt. That is not my intention. Sorry for any offence caused.

Ma Salam.
Re: Muslims: How To Make Your Husband Happy by Nobody: 12:30am On Feb 21, 2013
maclatunji:
No more debate again. Your feelings are getting unnecessarily hurt. That is not my intention. Sorry for any offense caused.
Ma Salam.
I am not offended and my feelings are not hurt, I promise. I guess I misunderstood your post but really, no hard feelings here. Your posts sound sexist (no offense) that was why I thought you were patronising me. Please stay, I want to get to the end of this thing. Thanks smiley
maclatunji: ^The fact that a husband explains his decisions to his wife does not mean she will accept or approve. Her disapproval does not mean he has sinned.
It does when he does things that are oppressive or tyranical to her and she disapproves them.
The easiest example is marrying a second wife, most women disapprove even after explanations. Are you saying the man has sinned if she does not approve? That would be ludicrous.
No way. smiley according to Islam, as long as the man is doing what is Islamic then there is no fault upon him. I am not talking of these Islamic things. I am talking of her disapproving things that infringe on her rights or cause her harm.
Kindness to a wife does not translate to a wife's hapiness.
Wow. And here I was thinking that a husband's kindness would somehow translate to the wife's happiness. Thanks for correcting my misconception.
A man may decide to buy an X5 for his wife and she would still be unhappy insisting she wants a Range Rover Sport.
In a situation like this, the man shouldn't have bought the X5 knowing fully well that the woman doesn't want it. He should have let her make another choice instead of buying something she doesn't want but this irrelevant to the discussion so forget about it.

You have over the past 2 days tried to elevate things that are highly recommended as compulsory. Things like consultation, delegation of authority are highly recommended not compulsory for the husband.
If you insist they are, bring Islamic proof(s).
Wow. I really thought Islam makes it compulsory for a man to consult his wife before taking major decisions. I guess I was wrong. So it is ok for Muslim men to do whatever they like in the marriage without consulting their wives first? So in Islam the woman's approval is not important when it comes to major decisions taken in the marriage? Thanks for this enlightening piece of information.
Also, please tell me what it means Islamically when a man lets his wife's will prevail over his. Thanks. Please do come back mac sad I am sorry I misinterpreted what you wrote before.
Re: Muslims: How To Make Your Husband Happy by maclatunji: 1:03am On Feb 21, 2013
^I was just being friendly. How do you define sexism? I define it as relating with an individual on the basis of their gender. Yes, there are things I may say to you and not say to a man and vice versa but it is not out of disrespect. The way the media make some certain words seem evil is just funny, talk for another day.

Now, to the consultation thingy. Let us look at an example. Husband has been saving from his salary for some time and his wife knows about it. She has been encouraging him to invest that money in any profitable business and he keeps saying: 'I will think about it.'

Last friday, wife hears a strange car sound in the compound. Her husband enters the living room with a key dangling from his fingers. He looks wife in the eye, and says: 'Surprise! I bought a brand new car!' Wife is stunned.

She later finds out that her husband has used his savings as initial deposit for the car and still has N2 million to pay over 20 months. Wife is absolutely furious that her husband has moved them from being savers to debtors.

Question: Has husband sinned according to Islamic teachings? The answer is no. Husband can be described as being selfish and insensitive but there is no sin that can be attributed to him for buying the car. He has spent his legitimate income on an halal item. You see what I mean?
Re: Muslims: How To Make Your Husband Happy by Nobody: 9:45am On Feb 21, 2013
I am so glad you came back.
The type of scenario you described above is not what I am talking about. Wives are also free to spend their personal money in whatever halal way they please without it being a sin.
maclatunji:
Can you bring hadith or Qur'anic verses to show that it is not compulsory for husbands to consult their wives before taking major decisions in the marriage?
You didn't address the question I asked about what it is tagged in Islam when a husband accepts his wife's will over his. Please answer that as well.
Re: Muslims: How To Make Your Husband Happy by maclatunji: 11:20am On Feb 21, 2013
fellis: I am so glad you came back.
The type of scenario you described above is not what I am talking about. Wives are also free to spend their personal money in whatever halal way they please without it being a sin.

Can you bring hadith or Qur'anic verses to show that it is not compulsory for husbands to consult their wives before taking major decisions in the marriage?
You didn't address the question I asked about what it is tagged in Islam when a husband accepts his wife's will over his. Please answer that as well.

I am debating with someone that doesn't understand marriage well.

My friend, a married man does not have 'personal money'. His family have a great part of his money. It is after he has reasonably met their needs that he may think of himself. Or what do you think we mean we say men are responsible for the family?

As for hadith, I don't need to. The Islamic doctrine is that all things are permissible except that which is expressly forbidden. If you feel the action is forbidden, you may bring evidence.

A man may not accept his wife's will over his. His will may only be altered by her influence. Two different things, you are still playing with words.

In Yoruba, the word for 'will' is 'Ase'. Ase is synonymous with command. A wife may not command her husband but the husband may and almost inevitably does in every marriage.

I will entertain points based on Islamic knowledge with you but not wordplay. The words 'will', 'command', 'authority' are all perogatives of the husband in Islam.
Re: Muslims: How To Make Your Husband Happy by zayhal(f): 11:34am On Feb 21, 2013
@fellis
There's no verse in the quran that says it is compulsory for a man to consult with his wife before taking any major decision in the home.

Let me also point out to you that a woman has to seek the consent of her husband before spending her own money but the reverse isn't the case. That's how Islam has it and if we look deep, we'll find the wisdom in all of these things. There's no law Allah binds on us but they are to our own benefit as humans. It's just that in our own imperfection, we abuse power and disorganise issues for ourselves.

It all has to do with wisdom. A wise man would not become dictatorial because Allah has put him in the position of authority. A wise woman will not become heady because she is educated and does not want to get cheated. It's all about maintaining a balance.

You two, Mac and Fellis have been painting imaginary scenarios, now let me give you real life examples-
I have witnessed a family where the man buys cars without consulting the wife
I've seen where the man buys a new car and gives out the one the wife was using to his sister without mentioning it to his wife.
I've seen where the man brings his relatives to live in 'his' home without seeking wife's opinion. She gets to know as a matter of 'fyi'.

I can go on and on. Some men take this authority thing very far. While for some, they believe that since it is their money and they and they pay all bills, they can do whatever without consulting the wife. Can we say these men are committing any sin? I don't think so. Can we say they're been fair to their wives? Well, it depends on individual homes and how they decide to run it.

We have to draw a clear line between what is a sin and what is just socially unacceptable by the dictates of the present-day society.

1 Like

Re: Muslims: How To Make Your Husband Happy by maclatunji: 12:26pm On Feb 21, 2013
^Errr... ok.
Re: Muslims: How To Make Your Husband Happy by Nobody: 12:29pm On Feb 21, 2013
maclatunji:
I am debating with someone that doesn't understand marriage well.
And you are the one that understands marriage not me. You are the champion bank of knowledge on matters regarding marriage. Is you that carry the trophy. You, the same person that said a husband can never accept his wife's will over his own, your understanding of marriage is exceptionally mind blowing.

My friend, a married man does not have 'personal money'. His family have a great part of his money. It is after he has reasonably met their needs that he may think of himself. Or what do you think we mean we say men are responsible for the family?
The money a man earns in the marriage is for him and his family.
The money he keeps for his personal spending is his personal money. Fine, Islam advocates his putting the needs of the family before his own but that does not mean he does not have any personal cut in his earnings.
Wow mac, you really understand marriage very well.

A man may not accept his wife's will over his. His will may only be altered by her influence. Two different things, you are still playing with words.
grin mehn, you really do not want to accept that men should accept their wives' will when it is better for the marriage. Your unwillingness to admit it is amusing.
Please can you tell me the difference between accepting her will and altering his decision because of her influence?
I really have no intention of playing with words sad sorry if that what how my posts made it look like.
In Yoruba, the word for 'will' is 'Ase'. Ase is synonymous with command. A wife may not command her husband but the husband may and almost inevitably does in every marriage.
I will entertain points based on Islamic knowledge with you but not wordplay. The words 'will', 'command', 'authority' are all perogatives of the husband in Islam.
You are using Yoruba to interprete the Qur'an in order to buttress your points yet you accuse me of playing with words
In English, 'will' is not synonymous with 'command'. We are conversing in English not Yoruba so keep Yoruba interpretations out of this discussion.
Definition of 'will' in English means the way somebody wants things to be done. I posted that definition before. How can 'will' be something that applies to only the husband?
Re: Muslims: How To Make Your Husband Happy by Nobody: 12:41pm On Feb 21, 2013
zayhal: @fellis
There's no verse in the quran that says it is compulsory for a man to consult with his wife before taking any major decision in the home.
The verse of kindness to wives makes it necessary for men to take their wives' opinion serious in the marriage. How will he know what her opinion is when he does not consult her?
Let me also point out to you that a woman has to seek the consent of her husband before spending her own money but the reverse isn't the case.
You two, Mac and Fellis have been painting imaginary scenarios
Scholars' opinion on the matter of wives spending differ
http://islamqa.info/en/ref/4037
http://www.islamhelpline.com/node/2382

Also, kindly point out the imaginary scenario I painted in this thread.
Re: Muslims: How To Make Your Husband Happy by snubish: 1:04pm On Feb 21, 2013
clap for yourself maclatunji, I believe the argument is effectively over. clarity has been exhausted, and any additions are frankly unnecessary.

Every association of individuals needs a leader. the leader in a family is the husband. meaning the buck stops at his post, when important issues arise in a family, there can be consultations, arguments, concessions and what have you, but what is most appropriate in Islam is that the man approves of the final decision. like the referee in sport or the judge in court. and Allah knows best.
Re: Muslims: How To Make Your Husband Happy by Nobody: 1:14pm On Feb 21, 2013
snubish: there can be consultations, arguments, concessions and what have you, but what is most appropriate in Islam is that man ALLAH approves of the final decision. like the referee in sport or the judge in court..
I agree.
Re: Muslims: How To Make Your Husband Happy by maclatunji: 1:15pm On Feb 21, 2013
fellis: And you are the one that understands marriage not me. You are the champion bank of knowledge on matters regarding marriage. Is you that carry the trophy. You, the same person that said a husband can never accept his wife's will over his own, your understanding of marriage is exceptionally mind blowing.

The money a man earns in the marriage is for him and his family.
The money he keeps for his personal spending is his personal money. Fine, Islam advocates his putting the needs of the family before his own but that does not mean he does not have any personal cut in his earnings.
Wow mac, you really understand marriage very well.

grin mehn, you really do not want to accept that men should accept their wives' will when it is better for the marriage. Your unwillingness to admit it is amusing.
Please can you tell me the difference between accepting her will and altering his decision because of her influence?
I really have no intention of playing with words sad sorry if that what how my posts made it look like.

You are using Yoruba to interprete the Qur'an in order to buttress your points yet you accuse me of playing with words
In English, 'will' is not synonymous with 'command'. We are conversing in English not Yoruba so keep Yoruba interpretations out of this discussion.
Definition of 'will' in English means the way somebody wants things to be done. I posted that definition before. How can 'will' be something that applies to only the husband?

A man does not have personal money my dear until his family is catered for. It is the wife that does under Islamic teachings. A man may not eat whilst his wife has nothing to eat. A wife may eat whilst her husband is hungry- we can say she is selfish but sinful because of that? No.

The difference is simple, a President may adopt his minister's plan. However, once the President adopts that plan, it becomes the President's plan not the minister's. Do you think it was GEJ that initiated cassava bread? It was other people but it has now become GEJ's plan and we don't talk about them anymore.

It works in a similar way with husband and wife. Any submissive wife will attest to it.

You say I don't want to accept your idea. I would have since (at least to stop you from looking for this elusive loophole you are seeking for). However, doing that would mean seeking to overturn the decree of God which is a grave sin.

Context matters a lot in language. You cannot successfully use 'submission' in the context of a husband relating to his wife in Islam.

You know what? Bring Islamic evidence that says husband should submit to his wife and we can look at it together.
Re: Muslims: How To Make Your Husband Happy by maclatunji: 1:17pm On Feb 21, 2013
fellis:
I agree.

On that note stop arguing, that is all I have been saying. Or my own saying it doesn't count? #LOL
Re: Muslims: How To Make Your Husband Happy by Nobody: 1:25pm On Feb 21, 2013
^grin I hope you saw how I modified the post before I agreed with it?
maclatunji:
You say I don't want to accept your idea. I would have since (at least to stop you from looking for this elusive loophole you are seeking for). However, doing that would mean seeking to overturn the decree of God which is a grave sin.
Nice try at pretending you don't understand what I mean.
Context matters a lot in language. You cannot successfully use 'submission' in the context of a husband relating to his wife in Islam.
You know what? Bring Islamic evidence that says husband should submit to his wife and we can look at it together.
@your last paragraph. Doing that would be tantamount to repeating everything I have said on this thread. Read my posts on the thread again.
Re: Muslims: How To Make Your Husband Happy by Nobody: 1:27pm On Feb 21, 2013
maclatunji:

A man does not have personal money my dear until his family is catered for. It is the wife that does under Islamic teachings. A man may not eat whilst his wife has nothing to eat. A wife may eat whilst her husband is hungry- we can say she is selfish but sinful because of that? No.

The difference is simple, a President may adopt his minister's plan. However, once the President adopts that plan, it becomes the President's plan not the minister's. Do you think it was GEJ that initiated cassava bread? It was other people but it has now become GEJ's plan and we don't talk about them anymore.

It works in a similar way with husband and wife. Any submissive wife will attest to it.

Re: Muslims: How To Make Your Husband Happy by maclatunji: 2:03pm On Feb 21, 2013
grin ^You are just a stubborn young lady. You know you have no basis for your assertions. You are just hoping to get more than is your fair share. Allah has given the man the go ahead- so don't bother.
Re: Muslims: How To Make Your Husband Happy by bukatyne(f): 2:35pm On Feb 21, 2013
maclatunji: grin ^You are just a stubborn young lady. You know you have no basis for your assertions. You are just hoping to get more than is your fair share. Allah has given the man the go ahead- so don't bother.

What is more than her fair share? That she wants to be treated with love from a man who claims to love her?

@Mac and Fellis: You two should quit going back and forth. You and Fellis are not getting married (I am not so certain wink) and how you decide to run your families is your private businesses. Just ensure that you marry someone with similar views and you don't fake who you are during courtship. There is a man and woman for every one.

God Bless.
Re: Muslims: How To Make Your Husband Happy by Nobody: 3:09pm On Feb 21, 2013
Well, one thing we can all agree on is that Allah's command is what should be followed in the house. Not the wife's or even the husband's. wink
Re: Muslims: How To Make Your Husband Happy by maclatunji: 3:53pm On Feb 21, 2013
^tongue
Re: Muslims: How To Make Your Husband Happy by maclatunji: 3:54pm On Feb 21, 2013
bukatyne: What is more than her fair share? That she wants to be treated with love from a man who claims to love her?

@Mac and Fellis: You two should quit going back and forth. You and Fellis are not getting married (I am not so certain wink) and how you decide to run your families is your private businesses. Just ensure that you marry someone with similar views and you don't fake who you are during courtship. There is a man and woman for every one.

God Bless.

LOL
Re: Muslims: How To Make Your Husband Happy by maclatunji: 4:33pm On Feb 21, 2013
Fellis- bye. Let us not do this again. tongue

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Sunnah Of New Born Baby , Scientifically Proven - BBC Article / One Of World’s Oldest Mosques Found In Israel / When Is Sallah Day In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.