Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,749 members, 7,809,866 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:18 PM

Are You Man Enough For Bromance? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Are You Man Enough For Bromance? (14312 Views)

When You Caught You Man With Your Friend,but Deciding The Head To Break First / You Are Not Man Enough - Ladies Only / Are You Man Enuff? Can You Date This Chic? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are You Man Enough For Bromance? by Sisikill: 2:44pm On Aug 30, 2008
What is Bromance?

Unlike MAN CRUSH which is a one-sided feeling one guy for another, BROMANCE is described as. . .
1) The intense love shared between heterosexual males.
2) A close relationship between two bros to such a point where they start to seem like a couple.
3) This bond is normally only shared between two males that have a deeper understanding of each other, in a way no woman could ever realize.
4) Guys in Bromance don’t have a problem saying “I love you” to each other because they know the words can be said in a totally non-sexual way.
5) Guys in Bromance don’t have a problem going on man dates.

What is Man date?

1) It is two guys meeting for the kind of outing a straight man might reasonably arrange with a woman.
2) Dining together across a table without the aid of a television is a man date
3) Taking a walk in the park together is a man date;
4) Attending an ordinary move (i.e nothing overtly manly or chick flick) is a man date.

What is NOT Man date

1) Eating at a bar is not man date
2) Going for a jog is not man date
3) Going to see your favorite team play is not man date.

Guys, are you man enough for BROMANCE?
Ladies how would you feel about a guy BROMANCE?

Again Bromantics are NOT GAY.
Re: Are You Man Enough For Bromance? by tpia: 2:50pm On Aug 30, 2008
tomato, tomahtoh. undecided
Re: Are You Man Enough For Bromance? by lexicon(m): 2:52pm On Aug 30, 2008

This one na lie. when i dey school, me and my room mate dey eat like dat without teli, and we no bromance anytin
Re: Are You Man Enough For Bromance? by tpia: 2:57pm On Aug 30, 2008
There's nothing romantic about guys hanging out in the normal sense, and it doesnt need to be labelled, imo.

Friendship is friendship, and guys do these things all the time without any hidden undercurrents or ulterior motives.

I think the whole bromance concept must have originated from a gay person who cant comprehend there's such a thing as male friendship with no strings attached.

sad, really.

1 Like

Re: Are You Man Enough For Bromance? by KarmaMod(f): 2:58pm On Aug 30, 2008
JD & Turk

Typical Bromance aka Guy Love  grin

Re: Are You Man Enough For Bromance? by Sisikill: 3:03pm On Aug 30, 2008
tpia:

tomato, tomahtoh. undecided

LOL. . . oh yeah? Why do you think so?

lexicon:

This one na lie. when i dey school, me and my room mate dey eat like that without teli, and we no bromance anytin

Are you sure? Come on. . . it's okay to admit it you know?

KarmaMod:

JD & Turk

Typical Bromance aka Guy Love  grin

LMAO! THANK YOU! God, I love Turk and JD!!  grin
Re: Are You Man Enough For Bromance? by Sisikill: 3:17pm On Aug 30, 2008
Oh come on Guys! Clear your minds of all the corrupted beliefs about two guys sharing a deep friendship and see what what Bromance is really all. Being in a BROMANCE indicates a level of trust hitherto only witnessed in female friendships. Aren't you tired of living life on egg shells??!!

Bromantics are not Gay!!
Re: Are You Man Enough For Bromance? by tpia: 3:19pm On Aug 30, 2008
HABA!!!!!!!!!!

Karma and Sisikill- are you really using JD and Turk as examples?

is this a joke?
Re: Are You Man Enough For Bromance? by TheSly: 3:25pm On Aug 30, 2008
Forgive them lord for they know not what they are doing. . . . . . . . .
I can clearly envisage the end time. sad
Re: Are You Man Enough For Bromance? by tpia: 3:25pm On Aug 30, 2008
Sisikill:

Oh come on Guys! Clear your minds of all the corrupted beliefs about two guys sharing a deep friendship and see what what Bromance is really all. Being in a BROMANCE indicates a level of trust hitherto only witnessed in female friendships. Aren't you tired of living life on egg shells??!!

Bromantics are not Gay!!

The thing is- friendship doesnt need to be labelled. Only a gay person would think otherwise, because for them, friendship almost always tends to have a sexual connotation.  Its the sad truth.

Romance tends to involve sex. Or an anticipated sexual fantasy/strong emotional non-platonic attachment. Thats why I think the word Bromance must have been invented by a gay person who doesnt understand the idea of non-sexual male communication.

Eros as opposed to platonic relationship, is whats being muddled here.
Re: Are You Man Enough For Bromance? by Sisikill: 3:42pm On Aug 30, 2008
tpia:

The thing is- friendship doesnt need to be labelled. Only a gay person would think otherwise, because for them, friendship almost always tends to have a sexual connotation.  Its the sad truth.

Romance tends to involve sex. Or an anticipated sexual fantasy/strong emotional non-platonic attachment. Thats why I think the word Bromance must have been invented by a gay person who doesnt understand the idea of non-sexual male communication.

Eros as opposed to platonic relationship, is whats being muddled here.
True friendship shouldn't be labelled and this isn't about that. It is about what you do, how you conduct yourself in the confines of the friendship.

Pray tell. . .
What kind of friendship do you have, if you can't hangout alone together?
What kind of friendship is it, if you have to watch your Ps and Qs?
What kind of friendship is it where you can't express yourself?

I believe if guys are open with their feeling with other guys. . . they won't have a problem showing their tender side with women because if you really think about it, the reason men aren't expressive is for fear that other guys will mock them or see them as wussies. BROMANCE does not only help man-man relationship, it also the woman-man relationship.

Any woman out there who is tired of her man never showing his emotions will join me in saying YES TO PROPOSITION BROMANCE FOR NAIJA GUYS!!  grin

Seriously, though a gau didn't come up with the word. Men who were tired of walking on egg shells around their friends did. They said "Eff this, we're guys, we love each other and we are not GAY"
Re: Are You Man Enough For Bromance? by shuppie(f): 3:46pm On Aug 30, 2008
there is nothing like bromance. friendship is friendship, it does not need to be labelled as such. the word bromance will always makes some people uncomfortable.  goodness gracious, men in Africa re expected to hardcore not some softies. ok u can love ur brothers, friends no big deal, but uttering the word 'i love you' when is not necessary is weird. imo. embarassed
Re: Are You Man Enough For Bromance? by debosky(m): 3:47pm On Aug 30, 2008
Bromance ke?

You naija women keep creating problems for yourselves - one minute you are complaining naija men have not shown enough romance to the women, you want to further reduce the available romance by telling them to extend it to their fellow brothers?

Man wey never decide to wine and dine his chick will do that for his buddy

Dream on - naija men rarely even wine and dine when they are seeking only sex, not to talk of 'pointless' romancing of a fellow guy.

Not now, not for a long time to come. tongue
Re: Are You Man Enough For Bromance? by Nobody: 3:59pm On Aug 30, 2008
The Sly:

I can clearly envisage the end time.   sad

grin grin  abeg when did sly bcome a pastor grin
Re: Are You Man Enough For Bromance? by Sisikill: 4:00pm On Aug 30, 2008
shuppie:

there is nothing like bromance. friendship is friendship, it does not need to be labelled as such. the word bromance will always makes some people uncomfortable.  goodness gracious, men in Africa re expected to hardcore not some softies. ok u can love your brothers, friends no big deal, but uttering the word 'i love you' when is not necessary is weird. imo. embarassed

You think saying a guy saying I love you to another guy is unneccesary? You say don't define friendship but aren't you defining love by deeming man-to-man I love yous unncessary?

debosky:

Bromance ke?

You naija women keep creating problems for yourselves - one minute you are complaining naija men have not shown enough romance to the women, you want to further reduce the available romance by telling them to extend it to their fellow brothers? 

Man wey never decide to wine and dine his chick will do that for his buddy 

Dream on - naija men rarely even wine and dine when they are seeking only sex, not to talk of 'pointless' romancing of a fellow guy.

Not now, not for a long time to come.  tongue

LOL! Maybe if man wey never wine and dine another woman, practice on his fellow man, he will be comfortable enough to do it. Deep down, men want to impress other guys, that's why they go for the pretty girls, the fastest cars, the better jobs. Men will do anything not to be embarrased in front of other guys, now think about it. . . if a guys can be mushy with other guys then being mushy with women will not be a problem, will it?

When a guy is COMFORTABLE with himself, he won't have problem with women. For the good of all, embrace BROMANCE today!!  grin
Re: Are You Man Enough For Bromance? by TheSly: 4:05pm On Aug 30, 2008
mesmya:

grin grin abeg when did sly bcome a pastor grin
Abi Oooooooooh! sad
What wont i see. . . . .Bromance?
Tsssssssssssssssssssew! Bromance ko. . . . . Sismance ni. sad
Re: Are You Man Enough For Bromance? by Sisikill: 4:05pm On Aug 30, 2008
tpia:

HABA!!!!!!!!!!

Karma and Sisikill- are you really using JD and Turk as examples?

is this a joke?

LMAO! What is wrong with JD and Turk? I love how open they are with each other and it is why JD can be the way he is because his friend, the person whose opinion matters to him accepts him for what he is. Of course their behavior is exagerrated for entertainment but the message is not lost.

The Sly:

I can clearly envisage the end time.   sad

Rotflmao! Oh Sly. . . .end times just because there is a call for men to be free with other men?

I'll repeat BROMANTICS ARE NOT GAY!!
Re: Are You Man Enough For Bromance? by Sisikill: 4:10pm On Aug 30, 2008
The Sly:

Abi Oooooooooh!  sad
What wont i see. . . . .Bromance?
Tsssssssssssssssssssew! Bromance ko. . . . . Sismance ni.  sad

LOL, Sly you are cracking me up! We already have Sismance, that's why there's call for Bromance. Why do you guys wanna miss out on the many things you can gain from being open. . . truly open with each other.

Sly for the sake of emotional growth, turn to your best friend, look him in the eyes and say "I LOVE YOU BRO"  wink
Re: Are You Man Enough For Bromance? by tpia: 4:16pm On Aug 30, 2008
Sisikill:

LMAO! What is wrong with JD and Turk? I love how open they are with each other and it is why JD can be the way he is because his friend, the person whose opinion matters to him accepts him for what he is. Of course their behavior is exagerrated for entertainment but the message is not lost.

Rotflmao! Oh Sly. . . .end times just because there is a call for men to be free with other men?

I'll repeat BROMANTICS ARE NOT GAY!!

It doesnt get gayer than that particular picture nah! grin grin  

Thats why I asked if you guys were joking, because frankly, I was puzzled.

Look at this:

J.D. is often shown to have a codependent fixation on Turk, regularly going through steep depression whenever he can't be with him, and feeling completely lost whenever Turk seems to be spending more time with anyone else. In the first episode, when Turk suggests the two of them seek separate apartments to "branch out," J.D.'s inner monologue tells himself to "Tell him you think that's stupid. Tell him you need him." Later in the first season, Turk begins to spend more time with Carla, much to J.D.'s chagrin. In "My Best Friend's Mistake", J.D. tells Turk, "I miss you so much, it hurts sometimes."

J.D. and Turk are once referred to as "an adorable interracial gay couple" after Denise the Paramedic observes them running down the street. Carla has complained that J.D. and Turk "are more of a couple than [she and Turk] are," and once lamented, "Maybe someday [Turk]'ll love me like that." J.D. often refers to Turk by any one of three different pet names: Brown Bear, Chocolate Bear, and Super Chocolate Bear (S.C.B) or numerous variations. Continuing in this theme he often refers to Turk and Carla's daughter, Izzy, as "Mocha Cub". In "My Cake", J.D. fantasizes about almost kissing Turk (prompting him to yell out "I don't have gay jungle fever!"wink, right after the fantasy in which he almost kisses resident psychiatrist Molly Clock.[6] It is implied in the episode "My Cabbage" that J.D. and Turk had drunkenly kissed each other as college students over 12 years ago. J.D. does kiss Turk once in "My Big Move", only to show him what the "friend kiss" he shared with Carla was like.

It is also revealed in the episode "My Fishbowl" that while in college Turk had sex with J.D.'s then girlfriend Stacy. Turk had previously claimed that they had a water balloon fight and wrapped up in the covers to keep warm. In a later episode Turk did admit after a lot of pestering from J.D. ("I looked everywhere. There were no water balloons!"wink that he did sleep with Stacy. J.D. and Turk have many strange habits and agreements e.g. in "His Story IV" Turk agrees to let Carla be called "pickle" so J.D. can call Izzy "little gherkin". In the same episode they make a reference to their pact of not reading the newspaper during an argument about the Iraq War. He also allegedly showed up drunk at Carla's bridal shower screaming that she "would never be as emotionally close to Turk as he was."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Dorian

Possible alternate storyline for the series:

JD and Turk come out of the closet and decide they want to spend the rest of their lives together, with each other. Their fiancees/girlfriends are devastated and heartbroken, but eventually "accept" their decision. All live happily ever after. Sound familiar?

Remember- the writers can tweak the show any way they want.
Re: Are You Man Enough For Bromance? by TheSly: 4:16pm On Aug 30, 2008
Sisikill:

LOL, Sly you are cracking me up! We already have Sismance, that's why there's call for Bromance. Why do you guys want to miss out on the many things you can gain from being open. . . truly open with each other.

Sly for the sake of emotional growth, turn to your best friend, l[b]ook him in the eyes and say "I LOVE YOU BRO"[/b] wink
''Mouth wide open'' shocked
''Faints'' embarassed
Re: Are You Man Enough For Bromance? by onyinye2(f): 4:21pm On Aug 30, 2008
I do think such a thing exist. Like the guys i hang out with. . . . . . we (three guys and me) have been friends since we were about four years old. So sometimes i have seen one of them tell eachother that they love them and it was just that. And sometimes the three of them go places just hang. They are that close.
Re: Are You Man Enough For Bromance? by Sisikill: 4:21pm On Aug 30, 2008
The Sly:

''Faints'' embarassed

Rotflmao. . . fainting? Oh Sly,  that is so gay!  grin tongue

I can NOT believe it is taking this much work convincing guys to have more than superficial friendships with other guys! What is going on with our world?  embarassed
Re: Are You Man Enough For Bromance? by Nobody: 4:21pm On Aug 30, 2008
The Sly:

''Faints'' embarassed

oh gawddd u is a case grin grin
Re: Are You Man Enough For Bromance? by tpia: 4:23pm On Aug 30, 2008
Sisikill:

Rotflmao. . . fainting? Oh Sly,  that is so gay!  grin tongue

I can NOT believe it is taking this much work convincing guys to have more than superficial friendships with other guys! What is going on with our world?  embarassed

the problem is, they already have deep friendships with each other- why are you assuming they don't?

And why does it bother you so much?

Just asking. cheesy
Re: Are You Man Enough For Bromance? by Sisikill: 4:24pm On Aug 30, 2008
onyinye2:

I do think such a thing exist. Like the guys i hang out with. . . . . . we (three guys and me) have been friends since we were about four years old. So sometimes i have seen one of them tell eachother that they love them and it was just that. And sometimes the three of them go places just hang. They are that close.

Oyinye thank you oh! With the way these guys are carrying on, you'll think I'm asking them to be mare to another guy's stud.
Re: Are You Man Enough For Bromance? by OluwaKANYE: 4:28pm On Aug 30, 2008
With the way everything is going in the western world, everything you do to your fellow man is regarded as gay, gay this, gay that, very soon guys would stop showing themselves love in order to avoid being labeled gays. I remember back in Naija, guys hang out together, sleep together on the same bed and do several things together. Try that here, and you would see everybody gradually moving away from you. it doesn't mean i support your idea of bromance cheesy cheesy
Re: Are You Man Enough For Bromance? by tpia: 4:31pm On Aug 30, 2008
OluwaKANYE:

With the way everything is going in the western world, everything you do to your fellow man is regarded as gay, gay this, gay that, very soon guys would stop showing themselves love in order to avoid being labeled gays. I remember back in Naija, guys hang out together, sleep together on the same bed and do several things together. Try that here, and you would see everybody gradually moving away from you. it doesn't mean i support your idea of bromance cheesy cheesy

would you regard Michael jackson sleeping on the same bed with those young boys, as "bromance"?

Just an example. In Nigeria, it might not necessarily raise too many eyebrows, but overseas, someone who does that may be a child molester.

Note: I'm not saying Michael jackson is a child molester oh.
Re: Are You Man Enough For Bromance? by OluwaKANYE: 4:34pm On Aug 30, 2008
we're saying the same thing, i wouldn't refer to him as a child molester. a lot of men sleep on the same bed with children in Naija and hardly would anyone ever think in that direction but you dare not try that here. these things keep changing everyday, at least it wasn't' like this 2 years ago.
Re: Are You Man Enough For Bromance? by Sisikill: 4:35pm On Aug 30, 2008
tpia:

the problem is, they already have deep friendships with each other- why are you assuming they don't?

And why does it bother you so much?

Just asking.  cheesy

Lmao! Oh yeah, they do? Then why are they fainting at the mere thought going out one on one with their friends? It bothers me because I loooove my brothers and I want the best for them. *Sobbing Gently*I want them to be comfortable, It pains me when I see them jumping out of their skins when another guy mistakenly brushes against them. I want the fear of being called a wuss to stop hanging over their heads. Like all other women who saw the suffering of others and decided to do something about it, I also have decided to help my lovely brother making them understand that being a BROMANTIC is okay!

BE MAN (SECURE) ENOUGH IN YOUR MANHOOD.
EMBRACE BROMANCE TODAY!!!!  grin
Re: Are You Man Enough For Bromance? by onyinye2(f): 4:38pm On Aug 30, 2008
Sisikill:

Oyinye thank you oh! With the way these guys are carrying on, you'll think I'm asking them to be mare to another guy's stud.
I think it depends on the maturity of the men involved. As i said before. . . . i have been bestfriends with these men since i was like four. So we are basically family. So when they say "I love you" to each other, it doesn't faze me because they are that close. To generalize and say that "In The West You are considered gay" then you obviously fit the category of
1. You have not been in the West that long
2. You watch too many movies
2. You aren't mature enough to understand and get passed gay phobia.
Re: Are You Man Enough For Bromance? by Sisikill: 4:40pm On Aug 30, 2008
OluwaKANYE:

And didn't they look so happy and free spirited back then compared to how tightly wound up they are today?

Why is wanting happy and free spirited suddenly wrong?
Re: Are You Man Enough For Bromance? by Sisikill: 4:43pm On Aug 30, 2008
onyinye2:

I think it depends on the maturity of the men involved. As i said before. . . . i have been bestfriends with these men since i was like four. So we are basically family. So when they say "I love you" to each other, it doesn't faze me because they are that close. To generalize and say that "In The West You are considered gay" then you obviously fit the category of

1. You have not been in the West that long

2. You watch too many movies

3. You aren't mature enough to understand and get passed gay phobia.

Oh my God! Onyinye, the Lord that gifted you with such maturity and understanding will not depart from you!!

You have said EVERYTHING. . . nothing more, nothing less!

Thank You!! kiss

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Most Beautiful Dark Female Nairalanders / Why Is It That Huge/Muscular Guyz Have Smaller Di*ks? / New Chapter!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.