Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,579 members, 7,820,090 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:33 AM

Are You Man Enough For Bromance? - Romance (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Are You Man Enough For Bromance? (14337 Views)

When You Caught You Man With Your Friend,but Deciding The Head To Break First / You Are Not Man Enough - Ladies Only / Are You Man Enuff? Can You Date This Chic? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are You Man Enough For Bromance? by onyinye2(f): 5:45pm On Aug 30, 2008
Sisikill:

I believe you, I don't drink either. The closest I've come to anything that looks remotely alcoholic is a virgin daiquri and you should see the looks I get. LOL

I don't know how to counter this idea you guys have of women? So what. . . you think the moment there are more than two of us in one place, we just start undressing for handling and cry? LMOA! Have I said how much I loooove the way you guys think!!!  cheesy
Yal couldn't hang around me because i loves my martinis! Anyways you can't counter how men view women. It is instilled in their brain and runs deep in their brains. I remember i met this one guy who thought women cry for everything. He was like "women cry when they are happy, sad, anger, content, excited, thankful, one of their "girlfriends" were crying". I seriously thought this guy was like a freakin 18 year old.
Re: Are You Man Enough For Bromance? by onyinye2(f): 5:45pm On Aug 30, 2008
3viso:

Please come in details what we forced on ourselves?
It is a proverb oka. So the meaning should come from the knowledge of you.
Re: Are You Man Enough For Bromance? by OluwaKANYE: 5:49pm On Aug 30, 2008
onyinye2:

You said "lots" not "all". And im guessing those "lots" is probably a "few". And no i don't know "all the stuffs women talk about". Elaborate.
ask sisikill
Sisikill:

Lol! Jeebus! This is too much! If the women are lesbians and the guys are straight, guess who loses out? Yep, that's right you guys do. . . how do you like them apples? tongue
i'm not saying all the women are lesbians and i don't pray it happens cheesy cheesy only wondering why your so called "showing affections" to your fellow woman is more accepted than men doing same
Re: Are You Man Enough For Bromance? by onyinye2(f): 5:50pm On Aug 30, 2008
OluwaKANYE:

ask sisikill
you are dodging like army soldier.
Re: Are You Man Enough For Bromance? by OluwaKANYE: 5:52pm On Aug 30, 2008
onyinye2:

grin grin grin cheesy cheesy you know the answer
Re: Are You Man Enough For Bromance? by onyinye2(f): 5:53pm On Aug 30, 2008
OluwaKANYE:

grin grin grin cheesy cheesy you know the answer
but do you know
Re: Are You Man Enough For Bromance? by idupaul: 5:55pm On Aug 30, 2008
onyinye2:

you are dodging like a soldier seems more appropriate.  Army soldier sounds murderous
Re: Are You Man Enough For Bromance? by OluwaKANYE: 5:56pm On Aug 30, 2008
onyinye2:

but do you know
yeah we know how y'all do it wink wink
idupaul:

you are dodging like a soldier seems more appropriate. Army soldier sounds murderous
exactly grin grin cheesy cheesy
Re: Are You Man Enough For Bromance? by onyinye2(f): 5:57pm On Aug 30, 2008
idupaul:

you are dodging like a soldier seems more appropriate.  Army soldier sounds murderous
Oh thank you for correcting me Mr. Real Nigerian. You sure told me right. Man, you really give Cornel West a run for his money when it comes to being wise.

OluwaKANYE:

yeah we know how y'all do it wink wink
who is we?
Re: Are You Man Enough For Bromance? by Sisikill: 6:02pm On Aug 30, 2008
Negro_Ntns:

I broke out laughing when I saw this one.  No doubt I understand what you are saying and I am sure a lot of other men do too, but I am not sure you are going to get many truthful responses.  I said that because of the language.  In the way this is written, the language is leaning to the homosexual side, even by Nigerian standards.  

Moremi, I attended an all boys boarding school.  When we see the tendencies you just described, either on school grounds or out in town we don't hesitate to issue warning to the parties observed in those clumsy entwines. If they desist they are asking for trouble big time! This is nothing but homosexuality tendencies and they get beaten and harrassed out of the dormitories and the school. The few ones that went through this ended up transferring to another school.

Guys do fraternalize.  It is healthy for gender bonding but it is also a natural instinct in us that happens in stages. It cannot be equated with the manner in which females bond.  If a boy has homosexuality, it will become apparent in the teenage years in the way he expresses emotions and sexuality.  What you described here is homosexuality, not boys fraternity.  

Stage 1:

Boyhood playmate - It starts when the boys are observed hanging together rolling marbles on the pavement, playing ludo on the porch, kicking soccer balls up and down the street or racing against one another with their spoked wheels heading on an errand to the market or the store. When you see them together, one with a catapult hanging from his pocket and the other with pocket full of stones, you can bet pretty soon some animal is going to end up t'e'r'r"o'r.i-zed or dead.  They compete on who can hit target and get a kill. Leave them alone, they are practicing how to hunt and in few years they will need to apply that skill in some other aspect of social interaction.

Stage 2:

Teenage Company - Guy to guy share of interests and secrets. Plans on breaking laws and violating rules are strategized and executed together. Together they lay claim to a territorial boundary and in a designated area within their community, this is the bully zone and other teenagers and their brothers must bow down to authority when in this zone. Their refusal to acknowledge the seemingly political control will be interpreted as a challenge and will lead to a physical confrontation. This is show off time for the girls; a parade of aggression and manhood, power and control. They compete on who can get what girl and lay with her. They appear together at parties.  When they start dating, they pick girls in the neighborhood that are equally close and when you see the guys you see their girls also. This is a transforming stage.

Stage 3:

Manhood stage - More independent, college life and new interests has groomed him for a new outlook on life. Still in touch with friend/s but at a distance. New girlfriend and all into her, she is all that matters and he wants to please her but suspicious of her smothering affections and reluctant to completely bond with her but at the same time doesn't want to lose her, she is good, makes him feel whole and responsible. New interests, new friendships.  Circle of friendships have widened and interaction with them all demand time. New job, new assignments, new acquaintances, gradually loose friends and make new ones. This is the point where the man to man bonding gives way to man to woman bonding.  

Stage 4:

Family - Married and raising family.  Family, Job and community become primary concern. New acquaintances, family friends, lifelong bondings develop. Start to witness in his children the same cycle and stages in life that he has gone through and it becomes intolerable to accept.  

Oooooh Sensei! You just had to come throw a wrench in my fun! I knew there was NO WAY on this earth any Naija guy will admit to this and needling them about it was gonna be my saturday funsie. LOL

I understand the stages and priorities, I do but there is something so rigid about male friendship that is so uncomfortable to watch (and I know no one is forcing me to), apart from that. . . this automatic leap people make from guys being close to being gay is quiet disconcerting.

It is my opinion that if things are allowed to run their course, we might get back some semblance of normalcy. Two little boys were playing the other day and they fell on top of each other, something so random and normal but if you had seen the way the adults around them yelled at them (the poor boys) you'd think they were doing something else. What these adults have inadvertently done is put the idea that there something wrong about two boys touching each other, this creates a curiosity in the boys  and unfettered curiosity can be very dangerous. I see responses like yeah back in Nigeria it wasn't an issue. . . why make it one now? Except of course on the plane ride out of Nigeria, a burst of gay wind blew and turned them gay. It is not the act of Bromance that is corrupt, it is our mind.

It's funny you mentioned marriage because I read an article which stated that delay in marriage accounts for the increase in Bromances. Oh! Oh! Do you hear that? Yep, it's the sound of all single Naija guys running to propose to their girlfriends.  grin  cheesy cheesy
Re: Are You Man Enough For Bromance? by OluwaKANYE: 6:05pm On Aug 30, 2008
onyinye2:

Oh thank you for correcting me Mr. Real Nigerian. You sure told me right. Man, you really give Cornel West a run for his money when it comes to being wise.
who is we?
guys wink
Sisikill:

Oooooh Sensei! You just had to come throw a wrench in my fun! I knew there was NO WAY on this earth any Naija guy will admit to this and needling them about it was going to be my saturday funsie. LOL

I understand the stages and priorities, I do but there is something so rigid about male friendship that is so uncomfortable to watch (and I know no one is forcing me to), apart from that. . . this automatic leap people make from guys being close to being gay is quiet disconcerting.

It is my opinion that if things are allowed to run their course, we might get back some semblance of normalcy. Two little boys were playing the other day and they fell on top of each other, something so random and normal but if you had seen the way the adults around them yelled at them (the poor boys) you'D think they were doing something else. What these adults have inadvertently done is put the idea that there something wrong about two boys touching each other, this creates a curiosity in the boys and unfettered curiosity can be very dangerous. I see responses like yeah back in Nigeria it wasn't an issue. . . why make it one now? Except of course on the plane ride out of Nigeria, a burst of gay wind blew and turned them gay. It is not the act of Bromance that is corrupt, it is our mind.

It's funny you mentioned marriage because I read an article which stated that delay in marriage accounts for the increase in Bromances. Oh! Oh! Do you hear that? Yep, it's the sound of all single Naija guys running to propose to their girlfriends. grin cheesy cheesy
i'm getting married soon even if i've no wife material yet just to avoid being caught in the web of Sisikills bromances cheesy cheesy grin grin
Re: Are You Man Enough For Bromance? by idupaul: 6:06pm On Aug 30, 2008

no need to thank me dear, i was only trying to remind u that u are ivy league and am backyard trained, remember? grin
Re: Are You Man Enough For Bromance? by tpia: 6:06pm On Aug 30, 2008
Sisikill:

Oooooh Sensei! You just had to come throw a wrench in my fun! I knew there was NO WAY on this earth any Naija guy will admit to this and needling them about it was going to be my saturday funsie. LOL

It is my opinion that if things are allowed to run their course, we might get back some semblance of normalcy. Two little boys were playing the other day and they fell on top of each other, something so random and normal but if you had seen the way the adults around them yelled at them (the poor boys) you'D think they were doing something else. What these adults have inadvertently done is put the idea that there something wrong about two boys touching each other, this creates a curiosity in the boys  and unfettered curiosity can be very dangerous. I see responses like yeah back in Nigeria it wasn't an issue. . . why make it one now? Except of course on the plane ride out of Nigeria, a burst of gay wind blew and turned them gay. It is not the act of Bromance that is corrupt, it is our mind.

It's funny you mentioned marriage because I read an article which stated that delay in marriage accounts for the increase in Bromances. Oh! Oh! Do you hear that? Yep, it's the sound of all single Naija guys running to propose to their girlfriends.  grin  cheesy cheesy

seriously though- why are you castigating straight people on behalf of the gay cause?

What about gays who are always on the lookout for people to recruit to their lifestyle- any words for them? Or are they the victims, therefore they have immunity to being held responsible for anything they do.
Re: Are You Man Enough For Bromance? by Sisikill: 6:07pm On Aug 30, 2008
tpia:

Hollywood actually isnt a good point of reference.

Anyone can come out of the closet anytime.

Note: I'm not saying any of the above people are gay.

In any case, all I'm saying here is friendship doesnt equal bromance.

We are all Nigerians here. (or at least most of us are).

How would you feel if your dad or brother constantly holds hands with other guys most of the time, and tells them I love you?

I mean, lets not go overboard with this matter. I love you isnt the alpha and omega of life. Its important, yes, but I personally don't need to hear it every minute of the day, for example.

LOL! I am not saying the should be holding hands every single minute and saying I love you after every third sentence. I am saying they shouldn't be so rigidly opposed to holding hands and saying I love you. That's it. . . I promise you!

Why would I want my brothers to be gay? It makes no sense.  grin
Re: Are You Man Enough For Bromance? by onyinye2(f): 6:10pm On Aug 30, 2008
OluwaKANYE:

guys wink
Guys or do you mean . . . . boys You?

idupaul:

no need to thank me dear, i was only trying to remind u that u are ivy league and am backyard trained, remember? grin
Usted es tal tonto
Re: Are You Man Enough For Bromance? by OluwaKANYE: 6:12pm On Aug 30, 2008
onyinye2:

Guys or do you mean . . . . boys You?
Usted es tal tonto
guys girl, guys wink
Re: Are You Man Enough For Bromance? by onyinye2(f): 6:13pm On Aug 30, 2008
OluwaKANYE:

guys girl, guys wink
It is clear you have no idea what you are talking about.
Re: Are You Man Enough For Bromance? by OluwaKANYE: 6:17pm On Aug 30, 2008
onyinye2:

It is clear you have no idea what you are talking about.

don't tell me that got you confused cheesy cheesy
Re: Are You Man Enough For Bromance? by onyinye2(f): 6:19pm On Aug 30, 2008
OluwaKANYE:

don't tell me that got you confused cheesy cheesy
Confused over what? undecided The jive you are trying to polish has something worth understanding?
Re: Are You Man Enough For Bromance? by OluwaKANYE: 6:21pm On Aug 30, 2008
relax onyinye, you're losing it again as usual wink
Re: Are You Man Enough For Bromance? by onyinye2(f): 6:23pm On Aug 30, 2008
Losing what again? undecided Usual what?
Re: Are You Man Enough For Bromance? by idupaul: 6:26pm On Aug 30, 2008
Usted es tal tonto

what the hell does this meanhope say no bi insult.
Re: Are You Man Enough For Bromance? by OluwaKANYE: 6:28pm On Aug 30, 2008
onyinye2:

Losing what again? undecided Usual what?
you're losing your cool wink
Re: Are You Man Enough For Bromance? by onyinye2(f): 6:30pm On Aug 30, 2008
Yeah love to burst your ego bubble but. . . . . yeah there is nothing here for me to lose my composure over.
Re: Are You Man Enough For Bromance? by Sisikill: 6:35pm On Aug 30, 2008
tpia:

seriously though- why are you castigating straight people on behalf of the gay cause?

What about gays who are always on the lookout for people to recruit to their lifestyle- any words for them? Or are they the victims, therefore they have immunity to being held responsible for anything they do.

Gay causes? Recruiting people to the gay life style? Asking for guys to be open with each other is suddenly castigating straight people? Are you serious? Pray tell what you'd call it if I said all straight guys deserve to be mowed down because they are not gay? Okay, I see that this is no longer on the playful side and so I will repeat it again, this time very seriously. . .

I am not promoting Homosexuality.
Asking for guys to stop jumping out of their skins when another guy mistakenly brushes against them is NOT PROMOTING HOMOSEXUALITY.
Saying it is the stigma attributed to two guys having a friendship that goes beyond the superficial is wrong, is  NOT PROMOTING HOMOSEXUALITY

I don't think I can be clearer than that. What I am having trouble being clear on, however, is how in this day and age, with all we know. . . some people actually believe the simple act of holding hands with another guy can lead to homosexuality or that any right thinking person who knows who he is can be recruited into being gay, this is beyond sad. . . it is heartbreaking and quite frankly, there is no point for further discussion. Althought, it does make me wonder if those so rigidly opposed to it are doing so out of some uncertainty.

Funnily enough, I realize it is you I have to thank for proving my point that it's not the acts (holding hands, saying I love you, going to dinner etc) that are corrupt but the mind.
Re: Are You Man Enough For Bromance? by NegroNtns(m): 6:39pm On Aug 30, 2008

Oh my!! Oh Dear Moremi the powerful one, do not ask for my head on this occassion, I shall send Iyalode over for a bromance time with you. Keep her for the weekend if you find her company loving and delightful.  grin

In retrospect I should have waited to see the gays in here come out and self-identify. I'd love to share that fun with you.  Don't worry I will make it up to you.  wink

It is my opinion that if things are allowed to run their course, we might get back some semblance of normalcy. Two little boys were playing the other day and they fell on top of each other, something so random and normal but if you had seen the way the adults around them yelled at them (the poor boys) you'D think they were doing something else. What these adults have inadvertently done is put the idea that there something wrong about two boys touching each other, this creates a curiosity in the boys  and unfettered curiosity can be very dangerous. I see responses like yeah back in Nigeria it wasn't an issue. . . why make it one now? Except of course on the plane ride out of Nigeria, a burst of gay wind blew and turned them gay. It is not the act of Bromance that is corrupt, it is our mind.

God Bless you!!!  In an episode with few of them not too long ago, Karma reminded me that homosexuality is as old as prostitution and for me to chill and leave them alone.  True, I dont bother them if they contain it but I have problem, as do most other people, when they broadcast their lifestyles.  You are correct, sometimes we over react to it and I am guilty of that too sometimes.  

It's funny you mentioned marriage because I read an article which stated that delay in marriage accounts for the increase in Bromances. Oh! Oh! Do you hear that? Yep, it's the sound of all single Naija guys running to propose to their girlfriends.    

rotflmao,  kiss
Re: Are You Man Enough For Bromance? by Sisikill: 6:44pm On Aug 30, 2008
OluwaKANYE:

ask sisikill

i'm not saying all the women are lesbians and i don't pray it happens cheesy cheesy  only wondering why your so called "showing affections" to your fellow woman is more accepted than men doing same

Ask me what? What did I miss. . . please tell me, tell me.

The part of your post in bold is exactly what I am talking about!!!

If guys embraced bromance, they will flood society's senses with guys showing affection to one another (and since in reality women's affection does not consist of handling and cry and handling and more handling we don't mean this kind of affection) and by so doing, making it acceptable.

Now will you join me in pushing PROPOSITION BROMANCE through? cheesy
Re: Are You Man Enough For Bromance? by OluwaKANYE: 6:51pm On Aug 30, 2008
Sisikill:

Ask me what? What did I miss. . . please tell me, tell me.

The part of your post in bold is exactly what I am talking about!!!

If guys embraced bromance, they will flood society's senses with guys showing affection to one another (and since in reality women's affection does not consist of handling and cry and handling and more handling we don't mean this kind of affection) and by so doing, making it acceptable.

Now will you join me in pushing PROPOSITION BROMANCE through? cheesy

YES If it won't amount to the way women show their affections cheesy cheesy
Re: Are You Man Enough For Bromance? by Sisikill: 6:57pm On Aug 30, 2008
Negro_Ntns:

Oh my!! Oh Dear Moremi the powerful one, do not ask for my head on this occassion, I shall send Iyalode over for a bromance time with you. Keep her for the weekend if you find her company loving and delightful.  grin

Without a doubt, I'll find her company loving and delightful despite the fact that we're both ladies. . . I am not a Naija guy after all   tongue

In retrospect I should have waited to see the gays in here come out and self-identify. I'D love to share that fun with you.  Don't worry I will make it up to you.  wink

Gays come out? In this environment. . . where mere thought of two straight as a ruler guys holding hands causes shouts of "Off with their heads?" Oh Sensei, you just made a funny! Nicely Done!! cheesy

Whispering

But sensei, you gotta belive me, i wasn't really calling for gays, I was calling for manly men.

God Bless you!!!  In an episode with few of them not too long ago, Karma reminded me that homosexuality is as old as prostitution and for me to chill and leave them alone.  True, I don't bother them if they contain it but I have problem, as do most other people, when they broadcast their lifestyles.  You are correct, sometimes we over react to it and I am guilty of that too sometimes.  

We all are and it is sad.

rotflmao,   kiss

grin  grin  grin

Now I have go watch a guy dodge the bullet of Bromance by getting married. Don't miss me too much  kiss
Re: Are You Man Enough For Bromance? by tpia: 6:59pm On Aug 30, 2008
Sisikill:

Gay causes? Recruiting people to the gay life style? Asking for guys to be open with each other is suddenly castigating straight people? Are you serious? Pray tell what you'D call it if I said all straight guys deserve to be mowed down because they are not gay? Okay, I see that this is no longer on the playful side and so I will repeat it again, this time very seriously. . .

I am not promoting Homosexuality.
Asking for guys to stop jumping out of their skins when another guy mistakenly brushes against them is NOT PROMOTING HOMOSEXUALITY.
Saying it is the stigma attributed to two guys having a friendship that goes beyond the superficial is wrong, is  NOT PROMOTING HOMOSEXUALITY

I don't think I can be clearer than that. What I am having trouble being clear on, however, is how in this day and age, with all we know. . . some people actually believe the simple act of holding hands with another guy can lead to homosexuality or that any right thinking person who knows who he is can be recruited into being gay, this is beyond sad. . . it is heartbreaking and quite frankly, there is no point for further discussion. Althought, it does make me wonder if those so rigidly opposed to it are doing so out of some uncertainty.

Funnily enough, I realize it is you I have to thank for proving my point that it's not the acts (holding hands, saying I love you, going to dinner etc) that are corrupt but the mind.

You're coming across as being very sensitive on behalf of the gay cause. I don't know if its intentional or not.

ok, now just like it would not be considered abnormal in the west for a parent to warn their kids about talking to strangers, or avoiding unknown characters just to be on the safe side, why are people being attacked for showing caution regarding gay mannerisms? Two kids falling on top of each other, is no reason to panic, agreed (maybe). But there's no reason to criticize parents who are concerned about their children's exposure. You don't know what they've seen or heard.

The fact that handholding and the like, used to have no gay connotation, doesnt mean men have to jump up and start holding hands singing kumbaya or the YMCA song just to prove they're cool with it. If it didnt have a gay meaning back then, or in Nigeria, doesnt mean it can't have one today, or in the west.

Not every man feels the need to hold hands with other men.

Let me put it this way: more often than not in the west, its the openly gay people you see holding hands everywhere. This holding of hands is often accompanied by other gay stuff. How's that for imprint.

So if people see this, then why blame them for associating it with the gay lifestyle- its what the gays themselves use to express their affection for each other.
Re: Are You Man Enough For Bromance? by Ihuoma85(f): 7:27pm On Aug 30, 2008
So the bottom line is that bromance is the same as male bestfriends?
Re: Are You Man Enough For Bromance? by KarmaMod(f): 7:32pm On Aug 30, 2008
Karma and Sisikill- are you really using JD and Turk as examples? Huh Huh

What do you consider their friendship to be?

Even Carla gets jealous of it.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

What's The Worst Shot A Girl Had Ever Attempted To Shoot At You / Chaii Which Kind Breast Is This Abeg / Should A Man Live In A House Built By His In-law?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.