Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,503 members, 7,819,826 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:43 AM

Nigerian Army's Campaign In The North Eastern Theatre (Photos) - Politics (57) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Army's Campaign In The North Eastern Theatre (Photos) (230781 Views)

Muhammed Buhari, As Governor Of North Eastern State In 1975 (photo) / Ex-gen Calls For Documentation Of Nigerian Army’s Campaign Th / Boko Haram 'Slaughter Wives' In North Eastern Nigeria: Witnesses (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (54) (55) (56) (57) (58) (59) (60) ... (73) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Army's Campaign In The North Eastern Theatre (Photos) by giles14(m): 9:01am On Aug 28, 2014
Krak:
This your threat na wa o.

On a serious note the Nigerian Army is clearly losing this war. It seems the present corps of the Army is just dwelling on past glories.

They have clearly forgotten how to fight a war. I hope they can prove me wrong.
clearly losing d war.and u have d time to type go ask d Iraq's Palestine's d syrians CAR wot it means to lose a war.simple d military are at it's lowest point

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Army's Campaign In The North Eastern Theatre (Photos) by patches689: 9:06am On Aug 28, 2014
I say this without the intention to insult or offend any members of this group.

I leave the proverbial "beef" in the other thread.

I would say that the biggest problem with the NA in the North is the lack of high mobility QRF formations and rapid response CAS and artillery support.

Patrolling the ground and seeking the enemy amongst the civilian population is extremely hard, even for nations such as the US, UK and France (see: Iraq, Afghanistan, Mali). Thus, difficulties will be inherent and one cannot really criticize the NA for that.

However, the fact that BH can attack NA bases as well as towns, villages and the like - and sustain the assault long enough to capture them or perform their atrocities is the biggest failing of the NA.

Consider the video they recently released (the one linked on this page of the forum). The second they hit that army outpost and town, the NAF should have scrambled CAS assets, heliborne or parachute QRF units should have been responding, and the force commander whom was under attack should have been able to call for fire support from artillery.

But this was clearly not the case. And, even 20-50 of the best men cannot hold out for long against such an overwhelming attack - defeat was inevitable. We can only thank god that some men got out of there alive.

So, in my humble opinion, solutions to the crisis and poor performance are:

1. Establishment of an air-bridge to better supply front-line units. This should be done via medium and heavy lift aircraft moving supplies forward to high-mobility "bush air-strips" where the cargo is then moved to Helo's and transported to the front
- creating an airborne logistical collum reduces the chances of BH ambushes on supply units
- this enables faster re-supply, mid battle if need be
- this enables better supply for units in hard to reach places
- better supply = better moral

2. Establishment of a QRF "umbrella" that covers the entire operational area.
- this should be comprised of artillery, CAS and air-assault infantry (look up the Rhodesian Light Infantry for an example of the finest QRF ever to exist)
- this will allow you to "ambush the ambusher", BH assaults on tactical or strategic or civilian locations could be turned into death traps (for BH) when air mobile formations are dropped to form "stopper groups" that cut off their egress routs, thus trapping BH between the men defending the location and the stopper groups
- Artillery and CAS will, at the very least enable defenders to do more damage to the enemy, making every battle more costly for BH and thus making them think twice about potential targets

3. The distribution of radio and communication equipment amongst village leaders and civilians - this will enable them to warn of sightings of BH formations, or raise early alarms in the case of an attack on a village, thus enabling the NA to deploy QRF units to respond

4. The formation, training and arming of a defensive orientated civilian militia whos dutys will be to defend their villages and farms, and bolster NA units during "sweeps" of areas. As locals their knowledge of their community and surroundings will be an invaluable asset to the NA

5. The creation of a NA unit to perform psuedo-ops. Again, we look to the Bush-War in Rhodesia/Zimbabwe for inspiration - The Selous Scouts. Their duties are simple, dress like BH, act like BH and lure the "real" BH out into ambushes. This is done simply - the psuedo operators are deployed in an area, they walk amongst the people, saying that they are BH and that they have been sent from [insert BH commanders name or training camp here] to bolster the local units. They make contact with local BH units and draw them out into the open where they can be destroyed by regular NA units (preferrably air-mobile units).

6. The intergration of all units operating in the AO in a mutually supporting formation.

Consult the pictures I have attached for a clearer idea.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Army's Campaign In The North Eastern Theatre (Photos) by asamaigho(m): 9:44am On Aug 28, 2014
SiriusBlack: Well, issues like that exist but only on an insignificant scale...vehicles that break down are immobilized to prevent them falling into enemy hands..till Army engineers get them back into service...as for the rifles, the AK is VERY reliable..and hardly jams..sometimes, troops battle in sandstorms, swamps, and in intense daylight heat..still the AK kicks on..bt its quite inaccurate...you need to put in about 5 short bursts on targets of 300m to get any chance of hitting the target...but the new AK-74s on the scene, from what I heard, is FAR more accurate at ranges the Type-56(N.A's AK variant) and AKM(being phased out) cannot dream of matching...but in summary, a lot still needs to be done...troops need NVGs,more AK-74s, ATGMs for BH technicals, and automatic grenade lauchers..also, a dedicated IFV is needed..ill Strongly recommend the BMP-2..or AAA mounted guntrucks to give troops confidence when going into battle.

i will also recommend d german made mg42 it one of d most devastating cracking sound dat can demoralize any military force......from itsekiri/ijaw war experience..
Re: Nigerian Army's Campaign In The North Eastern Theatre (Photos) by ZeusAyo: 12:51pm On Aug 28, 2014
patches689: I say this without the intention to insult or offend any members of this group.

I would say that the biggest problem with the NA in the North is the lack of high mobility QRF formations and rapid response CAS and artillery support.

Patrolling the ground and seeking the enemy amongst the civilian population is extremely hard, even for nations such as the US, UK and France (see: Iraq, Afghanistan, Mali). Thus, difficulties will be inherent and one cannot really criticize the NA for that.

However, the fact that BH can attack NA bases as well as towns, villages and the like - and sustain the assault long enough to capture them or perform their atrocities is the biggest failing of the NA.

Consider the video they recently released (the one linked on this page of the forum). The second they hit that army outpost and town, the NAF should have scrambled CAS assets, heliborne or parachute QRF units should have been responding, and the force commander whom was under attack should have been able to call for fire support from artillery.

But this was clearly not the case. And, even 20-50 of the best men cannot hold out for long against such an overwhelming attack - defeat was inevitable. We can only thank god that some men got out of there alive.

1. Establishment of an air-bridge to better supply front-line units. This should be done via medium and heavy lift aircraft moving supplies forward to high-mobility "bush air-strips" where the cargo is then moved to Helo's and transported to the front
- creating an airborne logistical collum reduces the chances of BH ambushes on supply units

- this should be comprised of artillery, CAS and air-assault infantry (look up the Rhodesian Light Infantry for an example of the finest QRF ever to exist)
- this will allow you to "ambush the ambusher", BH assaults on tactical or strategic or civilian locations could be turned into death traps (for BH) when air mobile formations are dropped to form "stopper groups" that cut off their egress routs, thus trapping BH between the men defending the location and the stopper groups
- Artillery and CAS will, at the very least enable defenders to do more damage to the enemy, making every battle more costly for BH and thus making them think twice about potential targets

3. The distribution of radio and communication equipment amongst village leaders and civilians - this will enable them to warn of sightings of BH formations, or raise early alarms in the case of an attack on a village, thus enabling the NA to deploy QRF units to respond

4. The formation, training and arming of a defensive orientated civilian militia whos dutys will be to defend their villages and farms, and bolster NA units during "sweeps" of areas. As locals their knowledge of their community and surroundings will be an invaluable asset to the NA

5. The creation of a NA unit to perform psuedo-ops. Again, we look to the Bush-War in Rhodesia/Zimbabwe for inspiration - The Selous Scouts. Their duties are simple, dress like BH, act like BH and lure the "real" BH out into ambushes. This is done simply - the psuedo operators are deployed in an area, they walk amongst the people, saying that they are BH and that they have been sent from [insert BH commanders name or training camp here] to bolster the local units. They make contact with local BH units and draw them out into the open where they can be destroyed by regular NA units (preferrably air-mobile units).

6. The intergration of all units operating in the AO in a mutually supporting formation.

absolutely spot on. I must add to that your no 4 instead of placing radios in the hands of villagers alone, why not garrison every village and build sentry towers and place 20mm cannons on the towers 2km apart round every village and standby backup incase the insurgents are trying to overrun them and place @list 50 soldiers in every village and if possible because of their minimal numbers, arm them with gpmgs and grenade launchers so as to provide them with maximum firepower

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Army's Campaign In The North Eastern Theatre (Photos) by PastorKun(m): 1:57pm On Aug 28, 2014
Deleted.
Re: Nigerian Army's Campaign In The North Eastern Theatre (Photos) by patches689: 3:16pm On Aug 28, 2014
ZeusAyo: absolutely spot on. I must add to that your no 4 instead of placing radios in the hands of villagers alone, why not garrison every village and build sentry towers and place 20mm cannons on the towers 2km apart round every village and standby backup incase the insurgents are trying to overrun them and place @list 50 soldiers in every village and if possible because of their minimal numbers, arm them with gpmgs and grenade launchers so as to provide them with maximum firepower

Too expensive in terms of manpower and logistics

The only solution would be: mobility

High mobility formations armed with massive fire-power will win the COIN war.

That being said, having the majority of villages and towns garrisoned by men in strongly fortified positions, and a defensive orientated training regime would not be a bad thing.

The towers would be unnecessary, but fortified compounds with heavy weapons would help a long way - the only problem is keeping them adequately supplied and rotating men in and out to keep them "fresh"

Basically what you are looking for is a high-mobility "tip of the spear" supported by the "shaft" composed of low mobility garrison units.
Re: Nigerian Army's Campaign In The North Eastern Theatre (Photos) by ZeusAyo: 3:43pm On Aug 28, 2014
patches689:

That being said, having the majority of villages and towns garrisoned by men in strongly fortified positions, and a defensive orientated training regime would not be a bad thing.

The towers would be unnecessary, but fortified compounds with heavy weapons would help a long way - the only problem is keeping them adequately supplied and rotating men in and out to keep them "fresh"

Basically what you are looking for is a high-mobility "tip of the spear" supported by the "shaft" composed of low mobility garrison units.
wish Nigeria had Λ fully functional rail network. The trains can be used as timers Λnd used to bring in fresh troops and supplies(ammo and food, clothes and other things) and take back the old ones whenever they reach station. That way, the issue of logistics is practically solved.
Re: Nigerian Army's Campaign In The North Eastern Theatre (Photos) by Nobody: 3:54pm On Aug 28, 2014
patches689: I say this without the intention to insult or offend any members of this group.

Although I cannot judge N.A solely on a propaganda boko-haram video, neither does GWOZA represent the N.A in this campaign in the N.E. Clearly the overwhelming number of BH on Gwoza, clearly rattled the handful of troops in that base.

It is not known if they called in CAS and the airforce failed to respond or Assets were hold up in a different mission. However in my opinion, all rotary assets should be transferred to the N.A, for better responsiveness.

N.A has artillery assets deployed in the N.E including the Palmaria.

patches689: Patrolling the ground and seeking the enemy amongst the civilian population is extremely hard, even for nations such as the US, UK and France (see: Iraq, Afghanistan, Mali). Thus, difficulties will be inherent and one cannot really criticize the NA for that.

It was a tactical failure on the N.A, poor responsiveness from the Airforce as columns of insurgents in 14.5mm armed technical would have been an easy picking for them. This is why i believe rotary assets should be transferred to the N.A. Thirdly, the overwhelming number of insurgents would still have overran the under-strength base.

patches689: However, the fact that BH can attack NA bases as well as towns, villages and the like - and sustain the assault long enough to capture them or perform their atrocities is the biggest failing of the NA.

And this is a major problem. I cannot entirely blame the N.A for Gwoza. however for this, its a problem they should have been able to tackle if the political class didn't always politicise all issues in nigeria.

patches689: Consider the video they recently released (the one linked on this page of the forum). The second they hit that army outpost and town, the NAF should have scrambled CAS assets, heliborne or parachute QRF units should have been responding, and the force commander whom was under attack should have been able to call for fire support from artillery.

I agree. For artillery, and why were aren't currently seeing a wide spread use of artillery is because of directives from the presidency against heavy "handedness". However, what constitutes heavy handedness? If the army doesn't regularly employ shells, how would they quickly break off enemy columns.

There is also the problem from HRW and AI.

patches689: But this was clearly not the case. And, even 20-50 of the best men cannot hold out for long against such an overwhelming attack - defeat was inevitable. We can only thank god that some men got out of there alive.

I don't think the troops in that base were upto 10. Thank God they escaped alive. A problem I see is, unlike in liberia and SLR, N.A captured equipment are not regularly destroyed by the Airforce. In liberia 85% of captured N.A equipment are destroyed by the Alpha jets.

patches689: 1. Establishment of an air-bridge to better supply front-line units. This should be done via medium and heavy lift aircraft moving supplies forward to high-mobility "bush air-strips" where the cargo is then moved to Helo's and transported to the front

I agree.

patches689: 5. The creation of a NA unit to perform psuedo-ops. Again, we look to the Bush-War in Rhodesia/Zimbabwe for inspiration - The Selous Scouts. Their duties are simple, dress like BH, act like BH and lure the "real" BH out into ambushes. This is done simply - the psuedo operators are deployed in an area, they walk amongst the people, saying that they are BH and that they have been sent from [insert BH commanders name or training camp here] to bolster the local units. They make contact with local BH units and draw them out into the open where they can be destroyed by regular NA units (preferrably air-mobile units).

These are the duties the recently formed NASOC(nigerian army special operations command) are formed to carry out. This includes the 850 man ranger regiment.

patches689: 6. The intergration of all units operating in the AO in a mutually supporting formation.

NASOC was specifically formed for this integration.

A comprehensive propaganda machinery is just as important and a new IFV. The population should see that the army is "doing", expanding or arming up.

The military cannot continue to depend on anonymous nigerians to help them spread their message, and then turns around, and scares these anonymous people away.

True story.

The military and presidency P.R teams do not know that the N.A got the spartan MK3 and CS/VP3 Bigfoot MRAP. There P.R teams copied photos of these equipments from beegeagle's blog. Photos originally shared by @siriusblack on this thread and made available to beegeagle's blog.

So you see, the nigerian military would continue to play catch up and react to media reports instead of controlling the information.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Army's Campaign In The North Eastern Theatre (Photos) by ZeusAyo: 4:37pm On Aug 28, 2014
patches689:

trust me the towers are neccessary because Λ high platform gives the defending force an unfair advantage of first see first kill especially when they are brandished with 20mm cannons they would literarily decimate anytin in deir sights
Re: Nigerian Army's Campaign In The North Eastern Theatre (Photos) by giles14(m): 6:39pm On Aug 28, 2014
PastorKun: Our 480 soldiers returning after fleeing to cameroon.
pastor u need deliverance.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Army's Campaign In The North Eastern Theatre (Photos) by PastorKun(m): 6:57pm On Aug 28, 2014
giles14: pastor u need deliverance.

Very daft comment.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Army's Campaign In The North Eastern Theatre (Photos) by MrRoYCe(m): 8:49pm On Aug 28, 2014
Re: Nigerian Army's Campaign In The North Eastern Theatre (Photos) by bidexiii: 8:12am On Aug 29, 2014
www.thetrentonline.com/insurgents-take-catholic-church-adamawa/ ; what is NA doing to curtail or stop these ugly incidence these insurgence are gaining more territory by the day and imposing sharia law and state caliphates and all NA do is to fold there arms and what till the modern equipment comes !
Re: Nigerian Army's Campaign In The North Eastern Theatre (Photos) by jteku(m): 12:03pm On Aug 30, 2014
Who is making us loose this war NA or NAF

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Army's Campaign In The North Eastern Theatre (Photos) by Ibnsultan01: 10:51pm On Aug 30, 2014
"@DefenceInfoNG: 2/2: ...in the #CounterInsurgency campaign. All Soldiers are in high spirits with all their weapons & equipment intact. Pic. Late pilot

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Army's Campaign In The North Eastern Theatre (Photos) by MrRoYCe(m): 8:41am On Aug 31, 2014
“ We sleep safely at night because rough men stand ready to visit violence on those who will harm us.”--- Winston Churchill

6 Likes

Re: Nigerian Army's Campaign In The North Eastern Theatre (Photos) by jteku(m): 10:50am On Aug 31, 2014
The Nation Newspaper shared the following link and had this to say about it:

Military launches attacks to reclaim Gwoza

A military operation is underway to reclaim Gwoza, Borno State from Boko Haram, a week after the sect proclaimed the district an Islamic Caliphate.

Read more: http://thenationonlineng.net/new/military-launches-attacks-to-reclaim-gwoza/

Military launches attacks to reclaim Gwoza Posted by: Yusuf Alli in Featured, News 3 hours ago •Five missing policemen back A military operation is underway to reclaim Gwoza, Borno State from Boko Haram, a week after the sect proclaimed the district an Islamic Caliphate. Five of the 27 policemen who…
Re: Nigerian Army's Campaign In The North Eastern Theatre (Photos) by Nobody: 11:23am On Aug 31, 2014
Pls @SiriusBlack if one is enlisted into the Recruit with a certificate lyk Pharmacy Technician which is equivalent to OND, will dat person be commissioned as a Private or Higher rank? cos am confused that how can an OND holder and SSCE holder be on the same rank.......
Re: Nigerian Army's Campaign In The North Eastern Theatre (Photos) by Pennywise(m): 11:30am On Aug 31, 2014

www.nairaland.com/attachments/1660387_naija_jpeg_jpeg01f7fdd99bec49006680df6a183e2f4a
The battalion of cowards.
Re: Nigerian Army's Campaign In The North Eastern Theatre (Photos) by PastorKun(m): 12:40pm On Aug 31, 2014
Pennywise:

www.nairaland.com/attachments/1660387_naija_jpeg_jpeg01f7fdd99bec49006680df6a183e2f4a
The battalion of cowards.

I don't think they are cowards, a more plausible explanation is that they ran out of ammunition and it would have been senseless to continue fighting thus they fled to fight another. Unfortunately the military leadership was too ashamed to admit they ran out of ammo thus they resorted to the 'tactical manouvre' lie.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Army's Campaign In The North Eastern Theatre (Photos) by Pennywise(m): 3:27pm On Aug 31, 2014
PastorKun:

I don't think they are cowards, a more plausible explanation is that they ran out of ammunition and it would have been senseless to continue fighting thus they fled to fight another. Unfortunately the military leadership was too ashamed to admit they ran out of ammo thus they resorted to the 'tactical manouvre' lie.

Thank you for the 'feel-good' explanation because it is almost inconceivable to think otherwise. But the bitter truth is that there were tons of ammunition, artillery pieces, APCs, armored fighting vehicles etc left behind by these cowards. A video was shot by BH (its on sahara reporters) showing them running away from battle while BH teenage soldiers helped themselves to huge caches of weapons and ammunition the way hyenas would feast on a carcass. If this is not sabotage of a war effort, I dont know what it is.

The Govt should allow private ownership of automatic weapons. The country is collapsing. Nigerian soldiers cannot defend themselves let alone the country. It is better to die fighting the enemy than to be mauled by barbaric savages.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Army's Campaign In The North Eastern Theatre (Photos) by PastorKun(m): 3:45pm On Aug 31, 2014
Pennywise:

Thank you for the 'feel-good' explanation because it is almost inconceivable to think otherwise. But the bitter truth is that there were tons of ammunition, artillery pieces, APCs, armored fighting vehicles etc left behind by these cowards. A video was shot by BH (its on sahara reporters) showing them running away from battle while BH teenage soldiers helped themselves to huge caches of weapons and ammunition the way hyenas would feast on a carcass. If this is not sabotage of a war effort, I dont know what it is.

The Govt should allow private ownership of automatic weapons. The country is collapsing. Nigerian soldiers cannot defend themselves let alone the country. It is better to die fighting the enemy than to be mauled by barbaric savages.

You are mixing up the incident of the take over of a military installation with the fleeing 480 soldiers. These are two totally separate incidences and locations.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Army's Campaign In The North Eastern Theatre (Photos) by tit(f): 5:03pm On Aug 31, 2014
Rise o fallen fighters
Rise and take your stance again
He who fights and run away
Lives to fight another day.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Army's Campaign In The North Eastern Theatre (Photos) by celeron40(m): 7:55pm On Aug 31, 2014
You are sick! Why can't clowns like you get out if here instead of posting fake
pictures on Sirius's thread..nonsense.
Re: Nigerian Army's Campaign In The North Eastern Theatre (Photos) by PastorKun(m): 8:25pm On Aug 31, 2014
celeron40: You are sick! Why can't clowns like you get out if here instead of posting fake
pictures on Sirius's thread..nonsense.

What kind of daft statement is this Are you sure you are ok

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Army's Campaign In The North Eastern Theatre (Photos) by celeron40(m): 8:42pm On Aug 31, 2014
PastorKun:

What kind of daft statement is this Are you sure you are ok
i should be the one asking you....y are u posting fake photos? Are you daft?

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Army's Campaign In The North Eastern Theatre (Photos) by jd3trice(m): 10:21pm On Aug 31, 2014
Yes he is...

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Army's Campaign In The North Eastern Theatre (Photos) by Litmus: 10:31pm On Aug 31, 2014
In the final analysis neither Bokoharam, ISIS, France or the Saudi's can defeat Nigeria, we're simply too big, too smart, united. We're the only once capable of destroying ourselves by going to civil war. They can however slaughter our people,ruin our economy and set back our development many decades.

....on the other hand if they manipulate us into civil war they defeated us. So we're back to square one angry

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Army's Campaign In The North Eastern Theatre (Photos) by PastorKun(m): 10:53pm On Aug 31, 2014
celeron40: i should be the one asking you....y are u posting fake photos? Are you daft?

And what in your retarded brain gives you the impression that the pics are fake?
Re: Nigerian Army's Campaign In The North Eastern Theatre (Photos) by Nobody: 11:19pm On Aug 31, 2014
PastorKun:

And what in your retarded brain gives you the impression that the pics are fake?

It is a fake picture you stupiid F.ool. That is bayelsa state, from the nigerian army's exercise during the N.D militancy days.

6 Likes

Re: Nigerian Army's Campaign In The North Eastern Theatre (Photos) by persius555(m): 12:24am On Sep 01, 2014
Pls, if anyone has links with top army officers, can someone please refer them to Isis syria tactics that helped them overrun a syrian army held airbase. They used civillian unmanned aerial vehicles to map out high priority army machineries. It worked wonders even to the amazement of US security recently. One our eastern governors brought some into the country for ecological disaster recovery. Our special forces could use this to spy on insurgency held towns and villages in the night and aid the nigerian airforce achieve precise surgical attack especially in the night. I guess we just need to be creative in our own little way. Nigeria can win this war.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Army's Campaign In The North Eastern Theatre (Photos) by persius555(m): 12:30am On Sep 01, 2014
gizmodo.com/isis-militants-use-the-same-drones-as-ordinary-folks-1628376186

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (54) (55) (56) (57) (58) (59) (60) ... (73) (Reply)

Governorship Election Results 2019 From Polling Units Across States (unofficial) / Anambra Governorship Election 2017 Results - Live Updates (Unofficial) / Osun Governorship Election 2018: Live Updates, Results Monitoring And Reporting

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.