Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,341 members, 7,826,352 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 01:04 PM

Who Is A Guy With Potential? - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Who Is A Guy With Potential? (33395 Views)

Right Age To Get Married As A Guy! / How Much Should A Potential Nigerian Husband Earn? / Why Do Some Mothers Reject Potential Suitors For Their Daughters? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Is A Guy With Potential? by Jesuspistol(m): 8:09am On Sep 03, 2014
WHAT OF INDIA WHERE WOMEN PAY DOWRY AND BRIDE PRICE??

Nigerian ladies don devalue finish
Re: Who Is A Guy With Potential? by Odunharry(m): 8:13am On Sep 03, 2014
Entchidodo: Fantastic Potential is in a guy who owns a Camry and whose Birthday is today.....Ichidodo's Birthday....
Happy birthday Ichidodo...
Re: Who Is A Guy With Potential? by zheroes(m): 8:15am On Sep 03, 2014
potential ko exponential ni, what ladies want these days is money, no money no deal and thats why when the money comes some guys get mad as in lose control of themselves. i know of a man who up until 49 he was in a rented apartment with nothing to show for it, but today he is a multibillion in lagos he is barely 55. keep potential aside, if you like someone enough to die with them go ahead if not please Bleep off someone will always occupy that position. are you GOD to see potential, don't people get rich today and become broke tomorrow and vice versa. do you know tomorrow?

4 Likes

Re: Who Is A Guy With Potential? by Afam4eva(m): 8:16am On Sep 03, 2014
Potentials is not by being a graduate or having to masters degrees or graduating with first class or hustling from morning to night with nothing to show for it. Potentials is coming up with an innovation which is already in the market and waiting to reap the dividends.

1 Like

Re: Who Is A Guy With Potential? by flyca: 8:20am On Sep 03, 2014
Ephemmm:

I understand your point here, but ladies have to bear it in their minds that men are finding it more difficult to earn a living nowadays. As a man, I have found a lady who have done that for me too especially as a fresh graduate without any job. The matter was so worse to the extent that I always go to sites then looking for blocks to carry upstairs in other to find money to apply for some jobs, but without any job coming forth.

In short, this ladies left all of a sudden, I was devastated and all my dreams with her died, but life goes on: it pains me to the extent that for over three years I avoid any other relationship and face my life squarely.

But all glory be to God Almighty who has changed my life for better. My work is Ok: my life becomes more meaningful, and my education is still in progress: but it alwlays pains me that she laboured but refused to reap what she has shown.

I met her by chance sometimes ago, and I offered her financial help willingly. She appreciated it but wept cos I made her to understand that a megre help like this was not my plan for her.

Ladies be more patient with guys please.

Did you really go through the CV I printed up there? The guy already had already finished his master's and worked for two years? Did you see that? I wasn't asking him to be "to rich" or to give me anything, I was only asking that he should have been self-sufficient!
Re: Who Is A Guy With Potential? by ihedinobi2: 8:24am On Sep 03, 2014
flyca: OP, Personal Experience.

Sometime ago, I started "seeing" one of my sister's old time classmate, an Architect from a Federal University, graduated with a good result and have a Master's degree, and with two year experience too. These were the sketchy details I knew about him before we started dating. So yes!, he has potentials.

Ok. Two months into the r/ship, I noticed this guy was broke, broke with the necessities of basic leaving. I started becoming worried. I lived in a city two hours from his, but he couldn't afford t-fare (not time) once in a week or two to come and see me. Calls nko?, na me dey call most times. Ok o. I was still on it.

Once, I went to his office see him, by the time I set out by 5pm back to my city, I drank a bottle of coke. Even the taxi fare to the park, he didn't give me. Hmmmmm. No need to say, I was "down". Another day, I went back to his residence to visit him on a Sunday o, I nearly fainted at what I saw. His room in the family house even had a leaky roof shocked

The one that broke the Carmel's back, was the day he asked me to transfer some call credit to his phone. At this time, I had completely lost grip!

So am I a gold-digger? Am I impatient? I'm I unrealistic or simply unreasonable? I leave the answers to you.

As much as having potentials is good, if its not translated into financial ability(lack of better adjectives), there is no need to bring out a lady from her father's house to starve her.
That your expectations were disappointed does not make you a gold-digger or anything like that. The question is what he was doing about his situation and/or what he was willing to do about his situation. Men have risen out of worse circumstances to write a totally opposite story. So it's a question of whether he was a worthwhile investment for you to make or not. If he was heading somewhere and was only coming along slowly and you couldn't wait then that's your choice. It doesn't make you a bad person, it just makes you not the type of person a man should trust when the storms blow.

16 Likes

Re: Who Is A Guy With Potential? by mikkybrick: 8:30am On Sep 03, 2014
^^^1000 Likes

3 Likes

Re: Who Is A Guy With Potential? by makazona(m): 8:34am On Sep 03, 2014
kadas01: I see a guy with "potential" as that man who has a "vision" and he is working hard to truly "achieve" his "dreams"; no matter the challenge(s)/difficulties he has to undergo!!

A guy with "true potential" would never allow that "dream" of his to "die" inside of him!!

Nice summary in few words.10,000 likes

1 Like

Re: Who Is A Guy With Potential? by Entchidodo: 8:34am On Sep 03, 2014
Odunharry:
Happy birthday Ichidodo...
Birthday wishes from a NL legend and a staunch rival football club fan is a huge thing....I must say thank you and i will never hate Manu again..................for the next 24 hours.
Re: Who Is A Guy With Potential? by 100Cents: 8:34am On Sep 03, 2014
A guy with potential is a guy who reviews his business or career progress every 6 months to see that he is not stagnant. For a business man he checks to ascertain that his income is increasing geometrically or arithmetically.

If a man does not review his progress, he lacks passion and he lacks potential for success.

I see some men who stay at home everyday with their wives. I often ask myself what they eat, I feel for their wives and children cry

Women should not marry such a man. We prevented my sibling marrying one such guy in the past too.
Re: Who Is A Guy With Potential? by flyca: 8:38am On Sep 03, 2014
ihedinobi2:
That your expectations were disappointed does not make you a gold-digger or anything like that. The question is what he was doing about his situation and/or what he was willing to do about his situation. Men have risen out of worse circumstances to write a totally opposite story. So it's a question of whether he was a worthwhile investment for you to make or not. If he was heading somewhere and was only coming along slowly and you couldn't wait then that's your choice. It doesn't make you a bad person, it just makes you not the type of person a man should trust when the storms blow.

You are judging me. Wrongly! Gosh? Why would he even ask me for airtime knowing fully well I was a young graduate, didn't have a job at that time and was completely dependent on my parents? I didn't ask him to be "super-rich", or give me anything. I was only asking that with that CV I printed earlier, he ought to have been self-sufficient. He even told me he was in debt!
Re: Who Is A Guy With Potential? by kaboninc(m): 8:39am On Sep 03, 2014
ihedinobi2:

2. A woman is a terrible asset to a man. In the Bible it is said that one will chase a thousand but two will chase ten thousand. The presence of a woman in a man's life can boost him in the most amazing ways. A man can take a lot of things and endure a lot of things as long as he can count on the woman he has chosen to trust with his life.

I've seen someone who is also a realist like me and I must say I love every word here. In respect to the aim of this thread/discussion, the above observation to me is a very important point every woman must note.

Two wrongs have never and will never make a right; every man has a potential and in fact everybody has a potential. Its one thing to be determined and another not to; a good woman (who is also a good leader) should have the skill to spot a potential guy and instead of nagging or looking for El Dorado, she becomes determined to make that dude's dream a reality. Same applies to a man meeting a woman with potential. No one man can be responsible for his successes; others are involved. As a lady (and also a man) the question is: are you an engine or a passenger?

2 Likes

Re: Who Is A Guy With Potential? by Amhappy(f): 8:51am On Sep 03, 2014
A man with a clear vision, plan and work smart. Someone who is always willing and ready to take calculated risk. Someone who is hardworking and dedicated towards what he wants to achieve. Someone who never gives up hope but seeks and grab every good opportunity to make a positive change. Someone who can make sacrifices today because of tomorrow. Such a man i will say have potentials.

1 Like

Re: Who Is A Guy With Potential? by Nobody: 8:51am On Sep 03, 2014
thorpido: A guy with potential is a guy who has earned a certificate or a skill and has started putting it to work.

However,potential is not really what ladies want but 'kinetic'.
They want you to have 'that' job and be earning from it or that skill and the returns are coming in.

Kinetic huh! I tnk i love dat word.
Re: Who Is A Guy With Potential? by Nobody: 8:52am On Sep 03, 2014
All I see here is ladies who wish to reap where they did not sow.

Guys I'm sorry, but getting married and making someone your babies' mother is not a privilege but an absolutely normal human process. In the most remote, poverty stricken dump in rural Congo, people do get married and life goes on. All this talk about money and potential is what happens because we live in a prosperous and relatively stable, peaceful country. Had it been this is Syria and you're in a Christian town under siege from ISIL and you don't know whether you'll be alive tomorrow, then you'll know what is really important in life.

Any woman who treats relationships as mix n match, cash n carry, body rental arrangement in my opinion is actually not different from a pro5titute at Allen Avenue. Those ones are even better because they don't play with people's emotions and they tell the truth - it's all about the money. Not that one will get to the level of meeting the man's family only to jump ship as soon as someone with more zeroes on his balance sheet winks at her - that quite frankly is an ashawo tendency and anyone has been treated that way by a woman should thank his stars for dodging the ultimate bullet - getting permanently joined to a hussy who will sleep with your friends, her boss at work, NYSC camp commandant, platoon leader, random guysand then come home and complain of stomach ache when the husband is trying to get laid after a stressful day at work.

Abeg just run. No woman is worth your joy in life.

6 Likes

Re: Who Is A Guy With Potential? by richyblink1(m): 8:54am On Sep 03, 2014
Simply put, a man with a potential is a man on a mission with a valid vision and a clear cut procedures, plans and necessary supports needed to execute his visions.

Most times you might wonder why so many book warm students are finding it difficult to make it in life or to hook up with better jobs, whereas their lesser book warn buddies are all hooked up with good offers and businesses.

For you to stand out among your peers certain factors comes into play.
1. What do you know? This refers to the already acquired knowledge or skills you arm yourself with in a chosen career path.

2. Who do you know? This is a situation were someone recommends you for a position or gives you a headway on how to apply or approach a certain job advert. It's at this point that what you know will be required to cross you over.

3. Being versatile. For the fact that you studied engineering or zoology doesn't mean you should not strive to know a thing or two outside your field. Most of you might wonder why banks employ people from other field, it's simply because they look beyond your course of study to ascertain your level of competency. They drill you on other matters and happenings around the society to know if you can fit in or if you can go extra mile to get results.

4. Are you street smart? Being street smart doesn't imply being rough or a taut. You need to be on your toes and alert to events around you and in the society at large.

5. Self consciousness. You need to be weary of how you dress, how you address or talk to people around you etc.

Mind you, being successful in life has nothing to do with the number of degrees acquired, but what you have learnt in the course of acquiring them, and the experiences gained while building those degrees.

The difference between a genius and a never do well is just the level of information acquired, and the outcome of putting the information to work

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Is A Guy With Potential? by feldido(m): 8:55am On Sep 03, 2014
So are we saying that the man should not marry cos he hasn't made it?

Must you make it before you marry? That's y most of our women are growing old without getting a husband . our economy wouldn't let a promising young man achieve his dreams even if he has a potential.

3 Likes

Re: Who Is A Guy With Potential? by Nobody: 8:55am On Sep 03, 2014
flyca: OP, Personal Experience.

Sometime ago, I started "seeing" one of my sister's old time classmate, an Architect from a Federal University, graduated with a good result and have a Master's degree, and with two year experience too. These were the sketchy details I knew about him before we started dating. So yes!, he has potentials.

Ok. Two months into the r/ship, I noticed this guy was broke, broke with the necessities of basic leaving. I started becoming worried. I lived in a city two hours from his, but he couldn't afford t-fare (not time) once in a week or two to come and see me. Calls nko?, na me dey call most times. Ok o. I was still on it.

Once, I went to his office see him, by the time I set out by 5pm back to my city, I drank a bottle of coke. Even the taxi fare to the park, he didn't give me. Hmmmmm. No need to say, I was "down". Another day, I went back to his residence to visit him on a Sunday o, I nearly fainted at what I saw. His room in the family house even had a leaky roof shocked

The one that broke the Carmel's back, was the day he asked me to transfer some call credit to his phone. At this time, I had completely lost grip!

So am I a gold-digger? Am I impatient? I'm I unrealistic or simply unreasonable? I leave the answers to you.

As much as having potentials is good, if its not translated into financial ability(lack of better adjectives), there is no need to bring out a lady from her father's house to starve her.

The first rime i heard about broke architects.
Re: Who Is A Guy With Potential? by cococandy(f): 9:00am On Sep 03, 2014
That would be 'being lucky'.
Not everyone who made it in life did so out of their own smartness and/or working on their dreams.

So yes a man who's been helped to become what he is may attract a fine specie of ladies but he's not necessarily better than the one who's still struggling to make it.

Not everyone is even interested in potential.
In fact many are not. They want the already made stuff.
All this talk about potentila is because OP asked.
Some people can't even recognize potential is if stares them in the face.

chaircover: Nashville your friends stroy is a very sad one.

Sometimes marriage actually improves the "potentials" of BOTH parties and marriage is the catalsyst that actually opens doors to success. 2 heads is better than one and when you know that someone has your back, supports you, prays for you, belives in you, advises you, encourages you and the like, then you are more confident to go out there and give it all you have.

Today many Husbands and Wives are enjoying the priviledges of their in-laws & not their own potentials; Especially husbands, Many husbands today are working in places where their in-laws knew someone who know someone. So really their " reaching their potential" today was as a result of someone else giving them a helping hand.

Yes a lazy man with grandiose dreams needs to be run away from with speed, but generally speaking most people want to make it in life, its just that they dont have the oppourtunities and may need a helping hand especually in the envionment that we come from where jobs are few and unsecured small bank loans are not very easy to get if at all.

If Nashvilles friend had someone who could offer him a good job, wouldnt he suddenly be a man with potential?

6 Likes

Re: Who Is A Guy With Potential? by cococandy(f): 9:01am On Sep 03, 2014
fruqsy:
correct!
God bless you with a potential guy...make sure you stand by him o,even if he decides to start from frying akara...

Oh you didn't read about that guy that's driving a hummer from frying akara? cheesy
Re: Who Is A Guy With Potential? by careema(f): 9:03am On Sep 03, 2014
impactz: a man that Knows WHERE and WAHT HE Wans to do... but thats not enough if you are not ready to take a step...

Not really that. A man that aspires to be great, not someone that goes with the flow. it sometimes doesnt work out, like not all hardworking people are rich but at least you know the guy made an effort. some people are hardworking but still dont have potentials. i broke up with my ex because he told me he cant pursue his dream anymore. for goodness, who are we without our dreams?
Re: Who Is A Guy With Potential? by Nobody: 9:09am On Sep 03, 2014
papiforreal:

The first rime i heard about broke architects.
Why did she have to start seeing him in the first place? Is that how you just go into a relationship based on physical attraction only to develop cold feet some few months in when the partner's true nature or circumstances come out?

No one is saying marry a non-mover or a poor person. Everyone has the right to aspire to a better life but the point is must you destroy lives to do that?

She says after 2 months she started noticing some things she didn't like - why not call him for a relationship 'TALK' or break it off immediately? Why stay there and play with his head, telling him 'I love you' and spreading your legs apart for him for another 4 months, meanwhile your mind is elsewhere? Is that not wickedness? Why must someone manipulate the emotions of others? Does it make one feel powerful?

4 Likes

Re: Who Is A Guy With Potential? by cococandy(f): 9:10am On Sep 03, 2014
DaWorshiper:
I like you.
thank you
Re: Who Is A Guy With Potential? by Acidosis(m): 9:14am On Sep 03, 2014
"If you meet a man or a woman who can’t communicate his/her career goals and/or his/her goals are vague (e.g. “My goal is to be a millionaire in 5 years), he/she may lack potential.

A man with potential knows how to turn his skills into a profit. Whether he’s skilled at fixing cars or writing an essay, he knows how to accrue revenue from his skills."
Re: Who Is A Guy With Potential? by cococandy(f): 9:19am On Sep 03, 2014
[b]well maybe because the Op specifically asked about guys with potential that is why we are centering the topic on guys. It could lead some to believe that potential isn't a quality women should possess too.
Far from it. Infact it becomes more and increasingly important especially in our 21st century.

I like to use pretty close to home examples to illustrate my points.
If I were a man and I know two ladies who think they have potential,one would rather carry brazilian hair of 100k while staying home waiting for LNG to call her for interview and hand her a job.

the other one while waiting for her 'good job' doesn't mind investing her 100k in female underwear and make-up,doesn't mind carrying her market around to areas where she gets buyers like female hostels etc etc.

I'm sure anyone with a sound mind knows who I'll root for.

Someone asked why is potential leaning towards finance?
Well it's pretty obvious. It's a monetized world. One's ability to earn a living is a direct reflection of their survival skills. Everyone wants a survivor.

[/b]

4 Likes

Re: Who Is A Guy With Potential? by Amhappy(f): 9:20am On Sep 03, 2014
cole265: The problem with some ladies is that they want to eat their cake and still have it. Some ladies like the one in this story knows what she wants and she went for it. She wanted a man that is independent in thoughts and free in the mind. A man who do not compromise bc of family, friends or love to achieve...such the kind of men that makes it in life anyway. (such ladies don't complain of less attention from the man; they are very understanding) on the other hand, some ladies want just the kind of man as dis ribbed in this story. a man that is simple and easy going, religious, homely and "caring" in the sense that they touch, kiss, smoosh gently and tenderly all the time. Of course such men don't have the drive to make it in life (especially in a place like Nigeria) even when the opportunity knocks, they are too shy or to afraid to take it up bc in most cases it might involve keeping late nights, travelling for long or in some instances living apart from their spouse initially or along the line. These type of men are prefared by some ladies even if they don't make it in life.
But problems starts when a lady wants a man who has potentials to make it in life as well as the same qualities as in the second kind of man(especially when they are both self starters).
I hope my long story answers your questions

So in conclusion,you can have it all. You got me thinking.

1 Like

Re: Who Is A Guy With Potential? by ihedinobi2: 9:23am On Sep 03, 2014
flyca:

You are judging me. Wrongly! Gosh? Why would he even ask me for airtime knowing fully well I was a young graduate, didn't have a job at that time and was completely dependent on my parents? I didn't ask him to be "super-rich", or give me anything. I was only asking that with that CV I printed earlier, he ought to have been self-sufficient. He even told me he was in debt!
Actually I did not judge you at all. I made a conditional statement, you know, "if...then..." That kind of statement.

As for self-sufficiency, think about this: what would you do if some years into your marriage to a wildly successful man the economy changed drastically in such a manner that in a very short time a man's entire resource base is wiped out? Would your man still be self-sufficient? What would you do then?

Such things can and do happen, I assure you. You don't have to look far to find them happening. War can wipe out whole resource bases and you cannot always get out in time or even stop the war yourself. Fast innovations wipe out whole professions and render skills very surprisingly obsolete. Natural disasters and unforeseeable accidents destroy resource bases too. People can be riding a wave of great success one minute and the next they're on a beach so hot and dry and at such low tide that you'd think you're in a desert which you very well might be anyway. What would you do then?

Why should he ask you for credits? Well, if you were going to be his partner in winning at the game of life, was it totally out of place that he should pass the ball to you sometimes?

4 Likes

Re: Who Is A Guy With Potential? by cityexams: 9:24am On Sep 03, 2014
Just Few Days left for 2014/2015 WAEC/G.C.E to start.

Get A's in all your Subjects without stress.

Receive W.A.E.C / G.C.E answers, Both Obj. And Theory live on your mobile phone.

Visit WWW.CITYEXAM.ML For More Details smiley

Dont Be Left out.
Re: Who Is A Guy With Potential? by ihedinobi2: 9:25am On Sep 03, 2014
kaboninc:

I've seen someone who is also a realist like me and I must say I love every word here. In respect to the aim of this thread/discussion, the above observation to me is a very important point every woman must note.

Two wrongs have never and will never make a right; every man has a potential and in fact everybody has a potential. Its one thing to be determined and another not to; a good woman (who is also a good leader) should have the skill to spot a potential guy and instead of nagging or looking for El Dorado, she becomes determined to make that dude's dream a reality. Same applies to a man meeting a woman with potential. No one man can be responsible for his successes; others are involved. As a lady (and also a man) the question is: are you an engine or a passenger?

Thank you for that part I marked in bold. That is a very strong point indeed.

1 Like

Re: Who Is A Guy With Potential? by Nobody: 9:26am On Sep 03, 2014
cococandy:

Oh you didn't read about that guy that's driving a hummer from frying akara? cheesy
Don't tell me that's who you tripping for.
Re: Who Is A Guy With Potential? by makazona(m): 9:27am On Sep 03, 2014
chaircover: Nashville your friends stroy is a very sad one.

Sometimes marriage actually improves the "potentials" of BOTH parties and marriage is the catalsyst that actually opens doors to success. 2 heads is better than one and when you know that someone has your back, supports you, prays for you, belives in you, advises you, encourages you and the like, then you are more confident to go out there and give it all you have.

Today many Husbands and Wives are enjoying the priviledges of their in-laws & not their own potentials; Especially husbands, Many husbands today are working in places where their in-laws knew someone who know someone. So really their " reaching their potential" today was as a result of someone else giving them a helping hand.

Yes a lazy man with grandiose dreams needs to be run away from with speed, but generally speaking most people want to make it in life, its just that they dont have the oppourtunities and may need a helping hand especually in the envionment that we come from where jobs are few and unsecured small bank loans are not very easy to get if at all.

If Nashvilles friend had someone who could offer him a good job, wouldnt he suddenly be a man with potential?

On point there

1 Like

Re: Who Is A Guy With Potential? by Nobody: 9:30am On Sep 03, 2014
pickabeau1:

Yes now..ladies no dey dull reach that side

lols...sometimes i just feel some guys come to this world to suffer...nobody wants a broke dude again.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Help!! My Father Has Too Much Interest On Widows / Is It Ok For A Guy To Be Living With His Parents At Age 32-39 ? / Blackson Nwanyanwu & Siblings Accused Of Beating Up Their Brother's Wife (Graphi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.