Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,964 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:22 AM

Who Is A Guy With Potential? - Family (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Who Is A Guy With Potential? (33340 Views)

Right Age To Get Married As A Guy! / How Much Should A Potential Nigerian Husband Earn? / Why Do Some Mothers Reject Potential Suitors For Their Daughters? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Is A Guy With Potential? by y2o3m: 11:12am On Sep 03, 2014
beeevan: When a man lacks the necessary steam and drive for success, i will say he has no potential. These group of people usually hold on to bogus dreams that they make little or no effort to achieve.

In a situation that I have the potential and the man in question is not stiff in his ways + the fact that I love him, i doubt if his lack of potential will be a barrier.

what does dis mean?
Re: Who Is A Guy With Potential? by Onegai(f): 11:13am On Sep 03, 2014
Walai, this is tough. A friend of mine did the same and called off her engagement. But the pressure was from her parents, who felt the man didn't have what it took to encourage her drive and ambition (she's very ambitious). He was also very nice.

I have a friend in the same situation, wonderful guy but we're not sure about his drive (he has a great job but his dad was the one who helped him get it and gave him a car when he came home from US after Masters). So we're not sure if he can stand on his own feet and build himself. My friend was from the same type of background, but she's never asked her parents to help her with a job, and she's doing okay (salary of N200k, and good networks hopefully).

It really boils down to a woman knowing she can depend on the man to provide most of the time, not about the money. I've seen friends and classmates and co-workers whose parents, especially their fathers did nothing for them, they had to pay their way through school, some even had to buy the clothes their fathers wore for their weddings. It's tough to tell a woman whose dad decided he wouldn't pay even his half of her 2nd semester schoolfees until her mum (a govt teacher who they had seized her salary) brought out her share, her father allowed her to miss a semester, and was such a terrible selfish man.Of course her mum chased away any man she felt didn't have potential.
Re: Who Is A Guy With Potential? by y2o3m: 11:13am On Sep 03, 2014
beeevan: When a man lacks the necessary steam and drive for success, i will say he has no potential. These group of people usually hold on to bogus dreams that they make little or no effort to achieve.

In a situation that I have the potential and the man in question is not stiff in his ways + the fact that I love him, i doubt if his lack of potential will be a barrier.

what does dis mean? (steam and drive)
Re: Who Is A Guy With Potential? by Nobody: 11:13am On Sep 03, 2014
WorldwarIII: Andwho is lady with potential?
I hope its not basically beauty.
I hope all these huge demands from a guy to be potential also apply for chicks..
just asking
u dey mind them...they do nothing but sit to judge and select potential guys. Second wife or baby mama status never start.
Re: Who Is A Guy With Potential? by dacoolvik: 11:36am On Sep 03, 2014
Before I read comments, let me share my own experience. The guy in question had graduated before me but was kinda reluctant to do any other thing since the job wasn't forthcoming. I even encouraged him to try his hands on teaching which is something he loves but he was just dulling. I know its hard to geta job but the guy was sounding like he was waiting for a job to land on his laps. Do this, no. Do that, another excuse. In no time, we went our different ways. A friend of mine will say, Ginger na 10 marks...
Re: Who Is A Guy With Potential? by taiwoliu(m): 11:37am On Sep 03, 2014
ihedinobi2: Potential is not the same as guarantee, it's merely resident possibility. And just about every man has it.

However, to the crux of the matter: I believe strongly in finding your feet before looking for love. In fact, I do not believe in looking for love at all. I consider love as something that happens in the course of life. I personally prefer to have an understanding what I want in my woman and just carry on with life until I see it. And when I see it, I go after it like the devil is at my heels, doesn't matter what I'm doing right then.

A man who is steadily building his life will likely meet women he would like to share the work with. My answer to that situation is this: if she stays knowing that this is hard work and she fights on anyway, she's earned every right in the book. If she goes, like the Book says, "if we have suffered with Him we shall also reign with Him", the converse is also true.

The thing that must be dealt with as the problem is not what might or can happen in the future (which is what all the talk of potential tends to be about) but what any given man has planned for himself and what he is doing about it. Some men have a goal that takes a hell of a lot of work to get to while others have one that doesn't take quite so much. Believe me, to become a professional (a doctor, engineer, lawyer etc) is a lot easier than to be, say, an entrepreneur. The former can become the latter and probably a bit more easily than it is for one to head directly into it. But the direct path is by far more tasking, more discouraging and more tortuous. So, if a woman wants to judge "potential", she should be looking at where the man is headed and how much it will cost to get there and decide whether she's up to it.

I have not taken into consideration the vagaries of life. Accidents do happen and the best-laid plans are ripped apart without regard to what career path or vision any given person runs with. These things cannot be helped. But what a man wants to accomplish with his life is wholly under his control. A man's choice of purpose and of means for achieving his purpose is his alone. A woman may rightly judge him by that. A woman may also judge a man by his refusal to be held down by ever-changing circumstances or by his resignation to the forces of life.

Again, I emphasize, a woman is right to judge a man's ability to lead her into the destiny she desires for herself. She can thus judge each suitor and decide the one that best suits her overall vision in life. But if a woman finds a man who has a clear, unconfused and sensible vision that he is pursuing and he is giving everything he's got to it and taking every help within reason that he can get and she is just afraid that it is delaying so much so that she abandons him, then she does not deserve to have any hardworking man commit to life with her at all. And any such man who loses her has lost nothing of value. But if she sticks and insists on working it out, pushing him even when he is exhausted and discouraged as life is often capable of rendering even the hardiest of men, she's a diamond and deserves every bit of investment that such a man can put into her.

About the man in the op, I have two things to say:

1. It does not speak very well of him that five years down the line into his thirties he is still stymied. I understand that life can oppose one so much that they lose the strength to keep fighting and sort of settle down into a lethargy waiting for some kind of handout or pick-me-up. And many times it is totally legitimate. Not everyone is born a self-starter, that is the way God made the world. We are not all the same. But a man who does his best with what he has is not a failure or an unsuccessful man. In this particular case, however, I could feel lethargy through the story, weariness where there should be defiance and self-reinvention. But I can only see through the OP's eyes so I can only limit the accuracy of my judgment to the accuracy of his sentiments.

2. A woman is a terrible asset to a man. In the Bible it is said that one will chase a thousand but two will chase ten thousand. The presence of a woman in a man's life can boost him in the most amazing ways. A man can take a lot of things and endure a lot of things as long as he can count on the woman he has chosen to trust with his life. Frequently, however, when that trust is betrayed, men can be totally wrecked. A man can lose all his strength and zeal to live when a woman loses her faith in him. It takes a man choosing to move on IN SPITE of her to get beyond stuff like that. So I consider that it is very possible that the departure of his lady love dealt a severe blow to his will to fight for his life and dreams.

To that I say that my brother should get a new fixation, something that he can make more important than his very life and fight for it.
you either grew up living with ur grandparents or u r a granny or close to one yourself... I must say I LOVE your response and doff my hat to ur wisdom nd intelligence. V learnt a lot from ds piece of epistle of yours but it ws really worth d time. I appreciate you. And I thank d OP for d topic, directly tackled one of d questions bothering me. Thumbs up peeps. And to every1 dt as contributed, I v learnt as well.

4 Likes

Re: Who Is A Guy With Potential? by shizzleStar: 11:47am On Sep 03, 2014
cococandy: Some guys mistake potential to be plans or dreams. Hence a graduate young man hoping to get a job at Shell while doing some unfulfiling job will think he has potential because he's educated and has big dreams.

Potential is the guy who turns lemon into lemonade.

He's focused and doesn't waste his time regaling the babe with his 'plans' for the future.

He's calculative.
The guy who didn't get a job when he left school but his shop that he started with 200k is worth millions now because he doesn't mind traveling to the north or to Togo to buy goods cheaper and doesn't mind driving a keke napep to deliver his goods to his clients on time. Thereby creating a huge customer base and more success from his little capital.

Potential is not by mouth.
If you're driven,it won't be a secret.
coolcool

1 Like

Re: Who Is A Guy With Potential? by shizzleStar: 11:48am On Sep 03, 2014
TV01: ...sup' Nash,

I'm a big believer in men taking responsibility.

How did it get to "introduction" without him being sure she was committed?

Female hypergamy in full view. The old "just go with your heart", even if it means dumping him at the altar. Men should know themselves and who they want to wife. She was never really committed as such, just keeping her options open.

In fact, he was probably down the pecking order and someone higher up started to come through for her - if she didn't actually use him to ginger a/the senior boyfriend along grin.

The best revenge?. Get successful, get a better woman. He should be less bothered about losing her. If he doesn't step up, his chances of making a great match will increasingly diminish.

Sorry eh! Life is tough. No change, no time. Quit yourself like a man.

TV
coolcool
Re: Who Is A Guy With Potential? by rebella(f): 12:03pm On Sep 03, 2014
Potential is all about ambition and drive for success. It is also about taking actions on those plans.
Nashville, I don't blame that woman at all. I witnessed a breakup between my cuz and her bf a few days ago and it was because of this same reason.
My cuz earns 5 times what her ex earns,what ticked her off was when he asked her over the phone what she was doing and she mentioned applying for a job. Oga was shocked that a chic with such a good pay would still be looking for a way to increase her earnings. She went on to ask him if he wasn't looking for a job, Bros goes on to say, not really that its only when she send him job links.
This same man wanted to join my cuz and a couple of our friends on a weekend getaway that will cost him 2 months salary. Smh

Her ex is an example of a man without potential, he'll practically wait for the opportunity to fall into his lap instead of going after the opportunity.
Re: Who Is A Guy With Potential? by pickabeau1: 12:09pm On Sep 03, 2014
Nothing wrong in this or that

Ladies should come out and speak plainly rather mouthing gibberish like potential when all they mean is comfort and money

Thats the point

bukatyne:

Well Well Maybe Nigerian ladies will stop chasing money or equating potential to money the day Nigerian men have more to offer than money.

If a lady believes all men are cheats, etc. she should by all means look for a rich or potentially rich guy to marry.

Like a friend of mine (a guy) would say, even if a rich husband hates you, he will buy you a car, his name will give you connection to grow your own business, will get people to do stuffs for you etc. not because he loves you but to maintain his status.

It is better to cry in a BMW than to cry in a keke.

If one must eat frog, he must eat the one that has egg grin

Re: Who Is A Guy With Potential? by ihedinobi2: 12:22pm On Sep 03, 2014
kaboninc:

At the bold part, what kind of person do we look at as a teammate? There are serious issues a guy has to look at finding a partner.
If you both want the same thing out of life, that is, you're fighting for similar goals, you can team up. It's always tough to find underdeveloped economies and make them self-sufficient/net-producing with someone who wants only to be able to hang out on Friday nights at the coolest spots, for instance. They are not likely to understand what you say when you get home or why you think y'all should move house and go live somewhere else for a few months or years or why you just lack appetite and have to stay holed up in your den studying news reports and stuff for a whole night.

For Christians, the Bible says that two cannot walk together unless they are in agreement or they are synchronized.

1 Like

Re: Who Is A Guy With Potential? by Odunharry(m): 12:22pm On Sep 03, 2014
Entchidodo: Birthday wishes from a NL legend and a staunch rival football club fan is a huge thing....I must say thank you and i will never hate Manu again..................for the next 24 hours.
for the rest of the season....BTW,where is the cake n wine
Re: Who Is A Guy With Potential? by cococandy(f): 12:25pm On Sep 03, 2014
Wrong.
Comfort and money isn't the word. If it is,
Meaning a crook with stolen money is a fair match?
Or a thief and swindler(AKa yahoo boy) can be regarded as a guy with potential?

Oh please.

Note that I haven't said some ladies won't marry such men. Some sure will.

But when talk like that,you're saying as long as it is money,the quality of the person is irrelevant.
If it is plainly about the money for every woman,why do some run away when they discover that the man is into shady deals?

It's not so much about the money as it is about the qualities which makes him a go-getter in the first place. That's like 50percent of the attraction. Even before you begin to touch the physical cash,the fact that he's man enough to succeed in the face of set backs and barriers is a turn on.

pickabeau1: Nothing wrong in this or that

Ladies should come out and speak plainly rather mouthing gibberish like potential when all they mean is comfort and money

Thats the point

1 Like

Re: Who Is A Guy With Potential? by kaboninc(m): 12:27pm On Sep 03, 2014
adconline: Potentiality is that dream, vision and idea without action. Actuality is that dream, vision and idea set in motion by your hustle and determination. There is no actuality without potentiality. To put things in context, Nigeria is potentiality without actuality while Malaysia is potentiality on wheels racing towards actuality.
It's not only peculiar to men, a lot of single women out there do not know what to do with their lives if that "husband"doesn't come their way.

I strongly disagree.

Potentiaity is not the dream nor vision but an innate gift. You use your potentials to make your dreams and visions a reality. Please lets understand the meaning of these terms.

Nigeria is a country with great potentials (gifts - enormous human capital resources) problem is the zeal, drive, passion and determination.
Re: Who Is A Guy With Potential? by ihedinobi2: 12:27pm On Sep 03, 2014
taiwoliu: you either grew up living with ur grandparents or u r a granny or close to one yourself... I must say I LOVE your response and doff my hat to ur wisdom nd intelligence. V learnt a lot from ds piece of epistle of yours but it ws really worth d time. I appreciate you. And I thank d OP for d topic, directly tackled one of d questions bothering me. Thumbs up peeps. And to every1 dt as contributed, I v learnt as well.
I am honored. Thank you for reading. smiley
Re: Who Is A Guy With Potential? by kaboninc(m): 12:31pm On Sep 03, 2014
cococandy:
If it is plainly about the money for every woman,why do some run away when they discover that the man is into shady deals?

They do not run away because they 'recently' discovered that he's shaddy, but because they do not want to be implicated.

Everyone (especially a woman) desires comfort and money; its one very important factor (if not the most) she desires when choosing for a partner. I do not have a problem with that though.

1 Like

Re: Who Is A Guy With Potential? by glorydike: 12:35pm On Sep 03, 2014
scobaba: A whole lot of guys have lost their relationships cos the chicks don't see the potentials.

It takes the grace of God to keep a long relationship these days when one is not making progress financially.

But there are still ladies who would stay and encourage the guy who is making effort to step up even when the 'step up' doesn't look certain.

My case is always my example.

Had a six years relationship that suffered financial set back for the first 4yrs. Lost my first job in the bank, got another 6months later but still Could not find my feet. Being the first of 5kids and bread winner to about 12younger ones,(including 7 orphaned cousins), with 6 in the university, my 250k 'cool salary' was not cool enough...i was always broke before 20th of the next month.

It got me thinking if my girl would stay.

All that while I was gathering professional qualifications and a masters degree, hoping for something better.

Finally light came...got into oil/gas last year, the white interviewer said he never saw another banker with so much extra qualifications...'where u get the time', he said in pidgin. grin
So that was how It went and everything changed. we got married 8months after that.

Today when we talk about those times, she will tell me she stayed because she knew deep down dat the extra steps I was taking in my life would pay some day, but that she always prayed the someday comes quickly cos ladies and age are not friends.
honestly am motivated and disturbed at the same time my fiance is a graduate was teachin den resigned because he felt it wasn't paying enough and resorted to full time satlite installation he says he earns more from d satelite wrk dan the job my parent rejected him because he doesn't have a stable job but he is vry hardwrking no one treats ad cares for me d way he does he always pays my bills alwz provides for me am confused he bought a canter truck to b a goods transport vehicle he was recievin dividend b4 it brokedwn he is looking for land to build and vry serus wt my education he is still applyin in telecomunication companys to wrk as dia installer he plans and does it though he doesn't struggle to get anytin by all means he only prays ad do d right tin he is not d over ambitous typ but my parent says he has no future is it that I can't see what they r seeing or shud I go ahead and marry him I love him so mch he has changed me a lot he brought me to christ his a disiplined and trustworthy pasin dat wud starve to see me happy and he is serusly helping me pursue my dreams what should I do
Re: Who Is A Guy With Potential? by kaboninc(m): 12:48pm On Sep 03, 2014
ihedinobi2:
If you both want the same thing out of life, that is, you're fighting for similar goals, you can team up. It's always tough to find underdeveloped economies and make them self-sufficient/net-producing with someone who wants only to be able to hang out on Friday nights at the coolest spots, for instance. They are not likely to understand what you say when you get home or why you think y'all should move house and go live somewhere else for a few months or years or why you just lack appetite and have to stay holed up in your den studying news reports and stuff for a whole night.

For Christians, the Bible says that two cannot walk together unless they are in agreement or they are synchronized.

I pray I find someone who has a broad view about life.

I built my life around team work. I get depressed when a team member is failing in her duties. Its very funny the same relationship we keep with non-intimate partners is same with an intimate partner. If my partner is not a team-member oriented, am in serious sh1t. If a guy has potentials and its supposedly in a relationship, it's the duty and responsibility of his team mate (lady) to bring out the best in him and not bailing out; unless if the guy is just not serious.

1 Like

Re: Who Is A Guy With Potential? by ngmart(m): 12:48pm On Sep 03, 2014
They don't insult and antagonize other people. – Generally speaking, the people who love to gossip, who speak negatively of others, do so because they hope, by comparison, to make themselves look better. Of course, that’s not how it works. Because when you have no respect or consideration for others, it's impossible to have any true confidence in yourself. The only comparison a truly confident person makes is to the person she was yesterday – and to the person she hopes to someday become.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Who Is A Guy With Potential? by OracleHex(m): 12:48pm On Sep 03, 2014
cococandy: Some guys mistake potential to be plans or dreams. Hence a graduate young man hoping to get a job at Shell while doing some unfulfiling job will think he has potential because he's educated and has big dreams.

Potential is the guy who turns lemon into lemonade.

He's focused and doesn't waste his time regaling the babe with his 'plans' for the future.

He's calculative.
The guy who didn't get a job when he left school but his shop that he started with 200k is worth millions now because he doesn't mind traveling to the north or to Togo to buy goods cheaper and doesn't mind driving a keke napep to deliver his goods to his clients on time. Thereby creating a huge customer base and more success from his little capital.

Potential is not by mouth.
If you're driven,it won't be a secret.
You are truly wise
I will keep this advice in my heart

1 Like

Re: Who Is A Guy With Potential? by TV01(m): 12:53pm On Sep 03, 2014
I initially did not address the question of “potential”. Why? Because it’s a ruse. Like Ihedinobi2 pointed out, everyone has potential. It’s the combination of drive, opportunity, support and to a degree chance (I won’t spiritualise this by talking about grace blessings etc.) that helps translate that potential into tangible success that we are really on about here.

And when it comes to female relationships with men, there are but a statistically insignificant number of women who give a toss about your potential. Like someone else mentioned, potential is no guarantee.

Possibility! Yes. I’ve heard testimonies of women who stuck by their poor, broke-butt, but brilliant & British born medical student boyfriends grin. Anyone can see the possibility there – and the minimal long-term risk.

Purchase! Yes. Already having wealth &/or power and the wherewithal to translate that into further “purchase”.

Potential! No. Because pretty much no women is going to say to herself “let me take this man and work with and on him too seek out his potential”, nurture his talent and polish his gifts. Let me encourage and support him to be the best man he can be. I’ll take on the risk and any reward, I’ll commit my future and the future of my unborn children to this work”

It may sound harsh, but the female imperative typically takes a short-term view. After all, she could be dropping a sprog in 9 months cheesy.

And whilst hypergamy typically has pejorative connotations, it’s only right that a woman seriously considers the “viability” of her long-term partner. It’s doing so in a greedy, gold-diggerish or black-widowish way, or being manipulative and deceitful about it that I consider wrong.

Why commit to an introduction if you are not committed. But I lay responsibility at the guys feet. He should know what he is about and clearly articulate this to her prior to any commitment.

Doubtless the situation traumatised him somewhat, but it’s better than having your wife taken off you by a “bigger boy”.

In the long-term relationship game, a man’ possibilities and/or your purchase are more determinants of his outcomes than his potential. Simply because, where they have the choice, most women will opt for the former two over the latter.

TV

And there are lots of men – as Naija glaringly reveals – that had little gifts or talents – that have lots of possibilities and purchase
Re: Who Is A Guy With Potential? by Nobody: 12:59pm On Sep 03, 2014
cococandy: well maybe because the Op specifically asked about guys with potential that is why we are centering the topic on guys. It could lead some to believe that potential isn't a quality women should possess too.
Far from it. Infact it becomes more and increasingly important especially in our 21st century.

I like to use pretty close to home examples to illustrate my points.
If I were a man and I know two ladies who think they have potential,[b]one would rather carry brazilian hair of 100k while staying home waiting for LNG to call her for interview and hand her a job.

the other one while waiting for her 'good job' doesn't mind investing her 100k in female underwear and make-up,doesn't mind carrying her market around to areas where she gets buyers like female hostels etc etc.

I'm sure anyone with a sound mind knows who I'll root for.

Someone asked why is potential leaning towards finance?
Well it's pretty obvious. It's a monetized world. One's ability to earn a living is a direct reflection of their survival skills. Everyone wants a survivor.

[/b]

I hope the brazilian chick is the one with potential. Who wants to struggle 24hrs for peanut when I can make my Brazilian weaves, stay at home , apply online and get called to write test for my LNG or Total job.
If you must suffer, choose wisely grin
Re: Who Is A Guy With Potential? by tojahh(m): 1:04pm On Sep 03, 2014
A guy with potential is a Man who is ready to give up his girlfriend just to actually his dreams. A friend of mine was opportune to travel abroad for pasture green, but his girlfriend wouldn't buy that claiming she don't want to lose him, that's how he remained in Nigeria after 6months the girl got married to a guy who just came back from 'Abroad'.

2 Likes

Re: Who Is A Guy With Potential? by cococandy(f): 1:05pm On Sep 03, 2014
kaboninc:

They do not run away because they 'recently' discovered that he's shaddy, but because they do not want to be implicated.

Yea that's another perspective.

Still some people are upright and will rather deal with clean money than blood money even if there's no chance of getting caught.

Everyone (especially a woman) and a man smiley desires comfort and money; its one very important factor (if not the most) she desires when choosing for a partner. I do not have a problem with that though

.I've no problem with that either.lives and choices differ.

I just wanted to make it clear that it's not every man with money that can be seen as one with potential. That's based on the OP's question of course.

Re: Who Is A Guy With Potential? by OmoEziokwu: 1:05pm On Sep 03, 2014
ihedinobi2:
Er, I didn't think we were fighting just now. I just thought your questions were a good opportunity to study some nagging assumptions and suppositions about the whole matter. Anyway, thanks for your time as well.

For the record though, offering advice and guidance and opinion are not even remotely the same as putting your faith in a man, that is, in one way of speaking, bending your back to the job at hand. Any spectator can offer good advice. But only your teammate really supports you. Your fans may share some of the embarrassment, some of the glory and whatnot, but your teammates are the ones who did it all with you, who kept you fighting when you grew so weary and hopeless that you would have just laid down your sword and had it over with. They're the ones that really count. Because advice and applause go only so far.

And you do have a strong point about the establishment of a track record. History does a lot of good things for people who are dealing with life. But, as with everything else, history also does hold people down. People have failed to recover from their falls because the shock of change was too great. There are also cases where the environment changed so much that starting over requires throwing history away and looking at everything with fresh eyes - which is pretty much what the starter is also doing. All in all, ready-made is a risk like under-construction and sometimes either is a worse risk. It all depends on you and the particular person that you are dealing with.

Anyway, thanks for discussing. Have a very good day. smiley

GENERAL KNOWLEGDE grin
1. Hypergamy does not care if you think you’re a “good” guy or about how convincing your argument is for your sense of honour.
2. Hypergamy does not care how sweet, funny or intellectual you are.
3. Hypergamy does not care about all those chick flicks you sat through with her and claimed to like.
4. Hypergamy does not care about the sincerity of your religious convictions or aspirations of high purpose.

Of course every reasonable enough man should know that he should work hard to achieve self sustenance and fulfilment. Any man that does not realize that certainly does not even deserve the good things that life offers (and I'm not talking about female companionship here). Nonetheless, the hypergamous beast cannot be tamed by the womenfolk. It is instinctive. How can hypergamy allow them feel that they are being rescued from the dating jungle?

Men should stop trying to make women reason like men, they are not men.

Onegai:
It really boils down to a woman knowing she can depend on the man to provide most of the time, not about the money. I've seen friends and classmates and co-workers whose parents, especially their fathers did nothing for them, they had to pay their way through school, some even had to buy the clothes their fathers wore for their weddings. It's tough to tell a woman whose dad decided he wouldn't pay even his half of her 2nd semester schoolfees until her mum (a govt teacher who they had seized her salary) brought out her share, her father allowed her to miss a semester, and was such a terrible selfish man.Of course her mum chased away any man she felt didn't have potential.

That is why girls from poor backgrounds are a no-no for me.

1 Like

Re: Who Is A Guy With Potential? by OmoEziokwu: 1:15pm On Sep 03, 2014
Well I hope these same women will not take it to heart when the men make demands for elegance and persona as they deem befitting?
Re: Who Is A Guy With Potential? by adconline(m): 1:23pm On Sep 03, 2014
kaboninc:

I strongly disagree.

Potentiaity is not the dream nor vision but an innate gift. You use your potentials to make your dreams and visions a reality. Please lets understand the meaning of these terms.

Nigeria is a country with great potentials (gifts - enormous human capital resources) problem is the zeal, drive, passion and determination.
I disagree, innate gift is your talent. Micheal Jordan, 6.6ft, is a talented athlete while Nate Robinson, 5.9ft, 3x NBA Slam Dunk Champion, elevated his potentials to actuality through hardwork.
Re: Who Is A Guy With Potential? by JuanDeDios: 1:26pm On Sep 03, 2014
ihedinobi2: Potential is not the same as guarantee, it's merely resident possibility. And just about every man has it. . . .

I want to buy you a beer and be your friend.
Re: Who Is A Guy With Potential? by ngmart(m): 1:30pm On Sep 03, 2014
Is it Foolish to Date a Guy Based on His Potential?
Question my younger sister ask!
Re: Who Is A Guy With Potential? by Nobody: 1:42pm On Sep 03, 2014
ihedinobi2:
That your expectations were disappointed does not make you a gold-digger or anything like that. The question is what he was doing about his situation and/or what he was willing to do about his situation. Men have risen out of worse circumstances to write a totally opposite story. So it's a question of whether he was a worthwhile investment for you to make or not. If he was heading somewhere and was only coming along slowly and you couldn't wait then that's your choice. It doesn't make you a bad person, it just makes you not the type of person a man should trust when the storms blow.

Boy! this is wayyyyyyyyy deep.
Re: Who Is A Guy With Potential? by pickabeau1: 1:50pm On Sep 03, 2014
You make me laugh

So is it everyone destined to sell akara with 200k

Do you know the percentage of businesses which fail within the first year.. am not sure u do

You lot come here, saying the same spiel..

I hope you have seen the young wives of the 70 year old king.. the guy really has potential grin grin

Women are hypergamous.. accept it and move on...

if i ask most of the married women here, they married people in telecooms, oil n gas..yet u say potential

Potential indeed...

I like posters like ThoniasLIM who r real.. you are trying to whitewash and bamboozle.. say it as it is

Where is DailyNews for some epistles.. grin grin

www.nairaland.com/attachments/1673341_10678849_574127662693226_1774560929959361581_n_jpegbf66557ef47abae1f8c122cf1f0033bb
cococandy: Wrong.
Comfort and money isn't the word. If it is,
Meaning a crook with stolen money is a fair match?
Or a thief and swindler(AKa yahoo boy) can be regarded as a guy with potential?

Oh please.

Note that I haven't said some ladies won't marry such men. Some sure will.

But when talk like that,you're saying as long as it is money,the quality of the person is irrelevant.

It's not so much about the money as it is about the qualities which makes him a go-getter in the first place. That's like 50percent of the attraction. Even before you begin to touch the physical cash,the fact that he's man enough to succeed in the face of set backs and barriers is a turn on.

1 Like

Re: Who Is A Guy With Potential? by Nobody: 1:50pm On Sep 03, 2014
pickabeau1: Nothing wrong in this or that

Thats the point

Simple, dis potential talk is real bull crap... women want a man with money, potential means jack to them... If you no get money, u no get potential.... girls marry men with money not Potential...
Abi dem dey write potential for forehead?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Boy's Converstaion With His 'Deadbeat' Dad About Christmas Gift Sparks Debate / Why Do Men Shy Away From Responsibilities Once They Notice Their Wife Has Money / Man Fights Wife For Not Using Vibrator After He Traveled Abroad

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 118
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.