Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,201 members, 7,835,986 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 06:44 PM

Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 - Education (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 (69063 Views)

My CGPA Is Low And I Need To Finish With 2.1 / He Doesn't Want To Attend His Convocation Ceremony Because He Had A 2.2 (Pic) / Why You Must Not Finish With A 2.1 To Succeed At A Job Or In Life (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Nobody: 10:44pm On Sep 11, 2014
Self employment is the only answer to unemployment. I'm a graduate with a good result but i'm now a fashion designer. I earn close to 60k monthly. It's easier to touch your nose with your tongue than to get a well paid job in Nigeria.

4 Likes

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by tonychristopher: 10:48pm On Sep 11, 2014
donroxy: Bro, the pain you would pass through to enrol in 2years M.sc, a year/2years MBA and other professional exams while applying for Jobs is better-off than Pain of Employment So many dudes/gals have spent more than 5years at home doing nothing and waiting for Graduate trainee Job The one without age limit and minimum of 2'2 grin while experienced hire required nothing less than 3years of ''related'' experience !!

Graduate trainee is not the way to go on most occassion especially if you are defeated by age or average academic grade ...... You just have to mastered your course and come back to the market so strong !!!

Also, if you really think you deserve the Job regardless of your degree/age ..... GateCrash is the best bet to get a Job ..... You have to make the company feel they are making huge mistake and loss if they don't hire you !

Everybody Must Not Be An Employee..People Should Think Of Adding Value To Their Lives...That Money Used To Get A Masters Can Be Used For Business As TheBusiness Grows You Can Then Do Your Masters At Havard...My Dear Most Firms Are Not Interested In Certificates But Competency

1 Like

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by IRRESPONSIBLE(m): 11:02pm On Sep 11, 2014
Ijeleigbo: This is where the problem lies, when you call your country a shitty country.... There is no perfect country! Every country has its own challenges, even the almighty United States ain't perfect.... You owe this country a lot as a graduate....
But its an apt description... SHITTY COUNTRY!
Really? The USA and Nigeria? High hopes much, mate. What does an average graduate out there owe this country? Please tell us
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by sunnydayasaba(m): 11:03pm On Sep 11, 2014
donroxy: Bro, the pain you would pass through to enrol in 2years M.sc/MBA and other professional exams while applying for Jobs is better-off than Pain of Unemployment for many years and even without any prospect !

So many dudes/gals have spent more than 5years at home doing nothing and waiting for Graduate trainee Job, The one without age limit and minimum of 2'2 grin while experienced hire required nothing less than 3years of ''related'' experience !! And the age keep growing !

@ a particular age especially above 25/27/30 , an organisational policy is expecting you to have possessed certain additional qualifications and experiences while you are still waiting for Graduate Trainee Job , a Job meant for 22-25/27yo @ the age of 30/32 !!

Graduate trainee is not the way to go on most occassion especially if you are defeated by age or average academic grade ...... You just have to mastered your course and come back to the market so strong.
Also, if you really think you deserve the Job regardless of your degree/age ..... GateCrashing is the best bet to get a Job ..... You have to make the company feel they are making huge mistake and loss if they don't hire you.

you really wanna get a Job in this harsh competitive environment,Endeavour to always advance the content of your CV !

Well said bro...Seems ur directing ur comments to me...lol.....Am not unemployed oh.

1 Like

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by IRRESPONSIBLE(m): 11:05pm On Sep 11, 2014
tonychristopher:

Everybody Must Not Be An Employee..People Should Think Of Adding Value To Their Lives...That Money Used To Get A Masters Can Be Used For Business As TheBusiness Grows You Can Then Do Your Masters At Havard...My Dear Most Firms Are Not Interested In Certificates But Competency

So you think everybody must be an entrepreneur? You concluded salaried workers are not adding values to their lives? And you're guaranteeing every business ventured into must pay off? Brazen assumptions there
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Nobody: 11:07pm On Sep 11, 2014
@op- creation of jobs is for the likes of you and your friends who made a 1st class. leave the job scouting for those with 2.2 and below because these jobs were created originally for them. How can we have geeks sitting in offices doing nothing while we still import china chargers that don't even last long?
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Nobody: 11:09pm On Sep 11, 2014
tonychristopher:

You people are full of Bullcraps and I distate such hugely !!

Not everybody have acumen of enterprenuership, it is a rare gift , you people should know this and not everybody can become a CEO and not everybody can just rake money and put it on business when you don't have managerial skills ... Even despite your informed knowledge and superb management skills , external influences beyond your control can still run you down e.g govt policies !!

No amout of money invested on skills/knowledge acquisition is a waste but when you invest money on business and you failed, that is a waste .... You have to start all over again if you have such energy , drive and will !!

I will always be a working class cum BusinessMan ..... I will never make the mistake in my life of doing business without white collarJob !!

Money for my PhD will never be put on buying and selling lailai ....... When My head no dey touch !

I'm adequately trained in Enterprenuership and Businesses t and it is an avenue for rare people not all people !!

If you know what you are doing , you will succeed faster with M.sc than Business !

Also, we have to respect choice of endeavour .... Some people want to serve while some wanted to be served ... We have to respect both since each is contributing immensely to the economy !!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by oladayo042: 11:16pm On Sep 11, 2014
Olutola88: well said bro. As to my CV, it's a very simple one without grammatical and spelling errors,with my full name boldly written ontop, a permanent home address, with an email address that carries my first and last name, with two telephone numbers, a short and catchy personal statement, about two work experience and my achievements in those positions(I change this to suit the job I'm applying for), a column for education with dates, I have a column for my skills and competencies, another column for my core strengths, a column for awards(just one though and it's a merit scholarship award I benefited for three years), a column for hobbies(this is on my CV to suggest to my potential employer that I'm someone that'll have a work-life balance, and references are available on request.

kindly send me a pm if you want us to relate better
Two questions:
1. Since when have you and your friends been applying for jobs? I believe the graduate trainee programme of many organizations requires NYSC completion. How have you been able to go around this? I am seriously interested in knowing how two of your friends got job offers before NYSC completion when almost all jobs require it.

2. How many pages is your CV? What font size do you use? You seem to have some categories in your CV that I never thought of until now.

Thanks.
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Nobody: 11:19pm On Sep 11, 2014
sunnydayasaba:
Well said bro...Seems ur directing ur comments to me...lol.....Am not unemployed oh.
Haba, I'm not refering to you but just using ''second person plural'' of ''you'' not you ''sunnydayasaba'' !!

Hope u gat d flow grin
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by winner01(m): 11:27pm On Sep 11, 2014
Olutola88: kindly send a pm
same situation with her Bro, can you help.
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by sunnydayasaba(m): 11:30pm On Sep 11, 2014
donroxy: Haba, I'm not refering to you but just using ''second person plural'' of ''you'' not you ''sunnydayasaba'' !!

Hope u gat d flow grin

I understand bro....Jst pulling ur legs...lol.

1 Like

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Ijeleigbo(m): 11:36pm On Sep 11, 2014
IRRESPONSIBLE:
But its an apt description... SHITTY COUNTRY!
Really? The USA and Nigeria? High hopes much, mate. What does an average graduate out there owe this country? Please tell us
The reason for a higher education is not just to get certification but the knowledge you acquire is meant for the growth and development of the Nigerian economy.... Our Country is in a "shitty" state because our leaders have failed abruptly to manage the resources efficiently and effectively.... You as an average graduate of a particular field, you are under obligation to contribute to the growth of your economy.... Your contributions, ideas and creativity is what you owe your country not just getting a certificate and a good job.... No matter the present situation, you must love your country.... If everyone runs away from Nigeria, who will make Nigeria a better place.... We are tomorrow's leaders and the future of this great black nation rest on our shoulders.... We must keep our head up, stand firm in unity and fight corruption, unemployment, poverty........ We can do this if we believe!!!
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by ify84(m): 11:36pm On Sep 11, 2014
have got 4.20 something.... But, only maths p......
d tin no let me near banks...... plus old age.... e No easy
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by IRRESPONSIBLE(m): 11:41pm On Sep 11, 2014
Ijeleigbo: The reason for a higher education is not just to get certification but the knowledge you acquire is meant for the growth and development of the Nigerian economy.... Our Country is in a "shitty" state because our leaders have failed abruptly to manage the resources efficiently and effectively.... You as an average graduate of a particular field, you are under obligation to contribute to the growth of your economy.... Your contributions, ideas and creativity is what you owe your country not just getting a certificate and a good job.... No matter the present situation, you must love your country.... If everyone runs away from Nigeria, who will make Nigeria a better place.... We are tomorrow's leaders and the future of this great black nation rest on our shoulders.... We must keep our head up, stand firm in unity and fight corruption, unemployment, poverty........ We can do this if we believe!!!
What a speech!! Martin Luther will be green with envy
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Cmfrt001(f): 11:44pm On Sep 11, 2014
segunjowo: it is not a must joor. by the time u compare available openings with the number of 2.1 in town u will understand that 2.1 cant guarantee u a job, only ur extra skill outside classroom and God can help u.
gbam that's the truth
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Ijeleigbo(m): 11:50pm On Sep 11, 2014
IRRESPONSIBLE:
What a speech!! Martin Luther will be green with envy
LOL!!! Every great thing starts with a dream!!! Nigeria has the ability to be one of the top 20 economies in the world.... We are the biggest black nation in the world with vast mineral and natural resources.... Nigeria's greatest problem has been mismanagement of resources, embezzlement, corruption, Leaders who lack vision and inspiration etc....
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by abdulwastecx(m): 11:56pm On Sep 11, 2014
sunnydayasaba: Well written piece, But i still think Age discrimination has also contributed to why some students don't even bother to strive to make a 2'1.

I have abt 4 friends who made strong 2'1 but bcus of age, They could hardly get a shortlisted for job test. They all got admission when they where abt 22yrs and before they could finish a 5 yrs course, They've spent abt 7yrs bcus of strick and slow shortlisting for NYSC too now there all above 30yrs. while most companies advertise jobs for a max age of 26-27yrs.

So this too dnt really motivate some people after calculating their age while in schl

why we always search for job shortlist when we can actually create job...
good grades should be a show of academic excellence

1 Like

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by willibounce1(m): 12:12am On Sep 12, 2014
Mumu people talking 2.1 & 1st class rubbi...sh. with all the 2.1 and 1st class graduates we have in this country, we can hardly do anything on our own without the help of white men. The KPMG this small boy keeps shouting here is a foreign audit firm.

Roads, we can't construct
Bridges we cant
Drainage, we can't
High rise buildings, we can't
Even ordinary farming, white man must be involved.
Go to all the telecoms company, u see Indians and Chinese running things d most.

Even dangote na Indians be top management staff.

With all ur phucking 2.1 & 1st class you can't do jack than to run after foreign companies for jobs.

The roads being constructed by Chinese ppl, ask them how many 2.1 graduates they have.

Very annoying set of ppl always chasing certificates instead of skills. Ur eyes go soon clear. Be feeling like a champion while some mu..mu ontondos keep deceiving you with ur write up. Reality will soon dawn on u. Shebi na only you go 1st get 2.1 abi? Ur own na even strong 2.1. I dey laff

1 Like

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by cocoduck: 12:15am On Sep 12, 2014
donroxy: You people are full of Bullcraps and I distate such hugely !!

Not everybody have acumen of enterprenuership, it is a rare gift , you people should know this and not everybody can become a CEO and not everybody can just rake money and put it on business when you don't have managerial skills ... Even despite your informed knowledge and superb management skills , external influences beyond your control can still run you down e.g govt policies !!

No amout of money invested on skills/knowledge acquisition is a waste but when you invest money on business and you failed, that is a waste .... You have to start all over again if you have such energy , drive and will !!

I will always be a working class cum BusinessMan ..... I will never make the mistake in my life of doing business without white collarJob !!

Money for my PhD will never be put on buying and selling lailai ....... When My head no dey touch !

I'm adequately trained in Enterprenuership and Businesses t and it is an avenue for rare people not all people !!

If you know what you are doing , you will succeed faster with M.sc than Business !

Also, we have to respect choice of endeavour .... Some people want to serve while some wanted to be served ... We have to respect both since each is contributing immensely to the economy !!
Lie of the year, we all have the acumen of entrepreneurship, even right from primary school it is evident. Managerial skills do not fall from heaven, it is learnt especially at home and on the streets then(optionally) refined at business schools. Didn't you do business studies in junior sec? in life if you fail to plan then you plan to fail. Nigeria's economy needs Job creators not job seekers. Many so called grads are into okada. Useless certificates.
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by cocoduck: 12:33am On Sep 12, 2014
At Williebounce1 Bross abeg take it easy. those slave minded people were programmed that way by their teachers and parents. Can you imagine a human being saying that it is not everyone one that has management skills as if it falls from heaven. Like business is all about buying and selling. any way one thing that is not common in Nigeria is common sense, yes that is why many of these slaves think alike. the government will give you education, job even food. and the government will do everything for them. while foreigners will troop to the country and milk us dry. the damn slaves go on jumping from office to office seeking non existing jobs. every time first class like say na only them get am. just one position more than 10,000 first class grads dey fall over themselves to get. at the end they receive peanuts as salaries. Do they know that even a carpenter with a good mind can become a very rich man. if they doubt then Google IKEA. it is what you have to offer not just a peice of paper. thanks bross no mind this people. sooner or later they will understand.

1 Like

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by cocoduck: 12:45am On Sep 12, 2014
In 2008 I heard on voa that 75% of jobs in the US are generated by small and medium scale businesses. it is in small Nigeria that the government and large companies will generate 100% of the jobs for slaves. o ga eme unu vum na anya otu ubochi.
fools think that business is all about buying and selling. haven't you slaves heard of production? The makers of the game The Withcher were buying and selling other people's games until one day they decided to make their own games and the game The Withcher now has I think the third iteration. So buying and selling is part of business. it only depends on your desire.

1 Like

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by bestjob: 1:09am On Sep 12, 2014
What the op(olutola88) said is the rule. You can follow the rule or create an exemption. The choice is yours. However, the best you can be is to be in the middle class. My people dont forget there are things that sell more ... singing, football, acting, 'comedying' buying and selling ... Discover your KPI and flow into it.

A 2.2 frm gtr Ife working for multinational .... thinking of floating my own coy.....
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by anytaij: 1:15am On Sep 12, 2014
Uzoraustin: Self employment is the only answer to unemployment. I'm a graduate with a good result but i'm now a fashion designer. I earn more than 150k monthly. It's easier to touch your nose with your tongue than to get a well paid job in Nigeria.
Uzor where are you base? Am into Fashion as well. Self employed is really the only ans to unemployment.
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by DeeChukwu: 4:26am On Sep 12, 2014
Op you funny. So if space is meant for only 20 people or lets say 20 1st class n 21ns and about 1000 1st class and 21ns also wants to occupy that same position and you think is a success then you should have a rethink. Though it opens door for the lucky 1st class n 21ns but looking at at situation in Nigeria from all angle today I think you rather encourage people to be selp employed rather than jubilation over a false reality.
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by poik(m): 5:06am On Sep 12, 2014
Bottom line...by strength shall no man prevail. But it dosent negate hard work.
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by muzeze77: 5:15am On Sep 12, 2014
Thats true article, I don't believe in Man know man, that you have to have a connection to get a job, i finished from a federal University with a 2:1 actually i was lucky my GPA was 3.51 on the dot, despite that their was no party that i did not attend during my time in school but during my NYSC i got two job offers and i actually started working for an International firm during my NYSC (I just had to settle my NYSC folks to avoid coming in on Friday to do that NYSC stuff). then i got admission for school in the US and I have been here for over 13 years and i have worked for firms such as IBM, Dell all with my Nigerian 2:1 Degree
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Ehimenboy(m): 5:54am On Sep 12, 2014
donroxy: Bro, the pain you would pass through to enrol in 2years M.sc/MBA and other professional exams while applying for Jobs is better-off than Pain of Unemployment for many years and even without any prospect !
Applying for jobs while doing an Msc: two questions. One, will the organisation one is applying to recognise the about-to-be-procured certificate? Two, in a case of, say 7 months before the completion of the degree at which one is offered the employment, will the employing organisation uphold the employment until the individual is through with their programme?
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Ogunleke48: 6:09am On Sep 12, 2014
Nigerian Navy Recruitment; Advantages &
Disadvantages
I suppose it is only apt to point out how scarce it is
to find information about the positives and pitfalls of
working for the Nigerian Navy . That being said, we
did our best to get you everything you need to know
about the Nigerian Navy Recruitment exercise , the
advantages of working for the Navy and the
disadvantages as well.
The Nigerian Navy is a branch of the Nigerian
Army, every year they recruit able bodied men and
women into the force. The official recruitment portal
is at http://www.service.nigeriannavy.gov.ng/ the
application form and instructions are all there. All
the information you might need officially. Like the
fact that their are 13 departments the Navy recruits
into:
Accounts and budget
Chaplain
Education
Engineering
Human Resource Management
Hydrography
Information and Communication Technology
Imam
Legal services
Logistics
Medical
Music
Sports
It follows that the minimum educational requirement
for applicants into any of these departments is a
first degree – B.Sc., B.A., or HND. Holders of the
Ordinary National Diploma (OND) or the Nigerian
Certificate in Education (NCE) are not expected to
apply and holders of the B.Sc. or B.A. must
possess at least a second class upper, and HND
holders HND must possess at least an upper credit
from an accredited institution within or outside the
country.
If you search around the internet further for first
hand account of what the work experience is like
with the Nigerian Navy you might be left
disappointed as you will find none. 2 things you will
however find is that “ the pay is good ” as far as
salaries go and its a pensionable job regardless of
what departments you get into. But common
knowledge will also let you know that “the same
way many are looking to get into working for the
Nigerian Navy many are also looking to get out”…
The reasons for this are not explicitly stated but
investigating further revealed that a lot of times
“most military and para-military agencies do not
treat the families of personnel who lose their lives in
the line of duty very well.” This should never be the
case in such an agency but it is clear now every
institution in Nigeria is broken, and none was left
out at that.
Like I said before, we have no first hand account.
This is all just information gathered together in one
place to help you make an informed decision about
working for the Nigerian Navy/The Nigerian Army at
large.
You will also find that you do not need to know how
to swim to apply to the Navy, you will be taught
when you do get into the academy. As a man
applying you will also need to be at least 1.7 meters
tall while female applicants must be at least 1.67
meters tall. You can not have any disabilities of any
kind, even shortsightedness will get you
disqualified. All applicants must be between the
ages of 22 and 28. This age restrictions do not
apply to doctors, lawyers, architects, Imams, and
chaplains, who should not be more than 30 years of
age.
You are advised to not take any kind of letters of
recommendations from any kind of authorities with
you to your screening as that might be perceived as
an attempt to circumvent the screening process…
Scouring around online will also bring you to the
shocking discovery that many believe admission is
not by merit and you should otherwise seek
assistance from a senator or an “authority” in the
system or maybe even a political power of some
kind. But of course this might only be because we
are in Nigeria. Maybe it is true or maybe it is false.
If you are really interested in working with the
Nigerian Navy, go for it. Y
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by mack111(m): 6:35am On Sep 12, 2014
Ijeleigbo: What a thread! Very educating and enlightening.... I just couldn't help it but read all through the pages of this thread and really the issue of grading in Nigeria is a major one.... 1st class and 2nd class upper is good, it brings a feeling of self-accomplishment. My candid advice to those who graduated with a second class lower and third class is to obtain professional certification or a masters degree to boost your CV. Obtaining a bachelors degree is not about flaunting your grade but rather the major objective should be contributing to the growth and development of our society.... The present Nigeria structure is a failure, the destiny of this beloved country lies in our hands.... The mentality of our present generation must change, we must think of what we must do for our country and not what our country shall do for us..... We must think of how to become entrepreneurs and stop this craze for a white collar job that is non-existent.... Our thinking should change, only then the future will be bright.... A graduate be you first class, 2.1, 2.2 or 3.0 is a first class citizen of a society and it is required from such individual to make an impact in the society.... Every graduate must be creative, innovative, skillful and think out of the box.... This talk of grades is overrated and must cease.... It has not contributed to the development of Nigeria in anyway.... Thank you!!!
thank u too. Nice write up, quite fascinating but however, being an entrepreneur is more difficult than going to school. Becoming business oriented is a key factor in this, nd majority of us lacks it. Moreover being an entrepreneur doesn't guarantee a person riches beyond borders within d next 10yrs or more. Just saying.
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by mack111(m): 6:49am On Sep 12, 2014
tonychristopher:

Dude Its You That Is Not Reading Properly ...Do You Ever Realize That We Have What We Call Reading In Between The Line

Go Back To The Topic

It Says Why You MUST graduate With Whatever Grades...I Think You Lack comprehension
C'mon mr, u re just being belligerent over nothing. @Op is only enlightening us on d benefits of graduating with a good result, he didn't say a good result guarantee success in life neither did he say a 3rd does same. Go back nd read carefully i still insist. @op even wrote getting a 2,1 or first class makes it even easy for someone to connect u, as in during times of nepotism. The aforementioned is among d benefits. What concerns this thread with ur boss who got successful with a third class. Read in between d lines indeed.
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by mack111(m): 6:57am On Sep 12, 2014
Uzoraustin: Self employment is the only answer to unemployment. I'm a graduate with a good result but i'm now a fashion designer. I earn more than 150k monthly. It's easier to touch your nose with your tongue than to get a well paid job in Nigeria.
i'm sure that amount is not constant. Maybe some month u'll get 50k or less, that's business for u. Come to think of it, do u sew for celebrities? Don't u pay for d space u re using, that u still make 150k monthly. I believe u earn sth that keeps u going like footing ur necessary bills, but certain not up to that amount. 150k for fashion designing as if u re a celebrity designer.

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (17) (Reply)

7 Nigerian Universities With The Most Beautiful Buildings / Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! / Male Teachers Vs Female Teachers: Are Women Better Teachers Than Men?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.