Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,621 members, 7,816,559 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:07 PM

Desmond Elliot To Contest For Lagos House Of Assembly - Politics (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Desmond Elliot To Contest For Lagos House Of Assembly (35066 Views)

Desmond Elliot & Lagos House Of Assembly Members At US Conference (Photos) / Desmond Elliot Shares Photo Of His First Sitting At The Lagos House Of Assembly / The Car That Took Desmond Elliot To His Inauguration (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Desmond Elliot To Contest For Lagos House Of Assembly by tupacshakur(m): 4:01pm On Sep 12, 2014
Asoozy:

Oro na dun, o fe ke!

Something wey you know say you go kuku ma agree to, you first do merrygo round at the end you still fall in line o.

Olodo your friend is a fraudster!

Ta lo fe ke? grin grin...se mo j'omo Ghana ni?

How's he a Fraudster?

By choosing his middle name over his first name as his stage name?

Do you know the meaning of the word "Fraud" at all?

The fact that he wasn't pragmatic and "real" enough doesn't make him a Fraudster!
Re: Desmond Elliot To Contest For Lagos House Of Assembly by Nobody: 4:01pm On Sep 12, 2014
nzeBiddle: Do not get me wrong. I am not advocating for him. I only voiced my opinion on what I beleive should shape our views on folks that are voted into power today (much unlike what the situation was in the past) ..and in fact you veered towards that at the begining of your reply (re: his lack of competence or therebouts) and up to your point on 'number 1'. If there is any evidence on ground to suggest so then fine, that I believe should predominantly guide opinion or views on his eligibility for the post -which primarily is my point on here. This is 2014, and while I very much admit that tribalism and politics in these parts are very much inseperable, the nigerian society can only genuinely advance when we begin to focus more on competence re: voting folks into power. You cannot continue to justify what has always been obtainable just because its a 'tribal society with many fault-lines' unless we'd rather remain stagnant as a society.

See when you apply for certain jobs, regardless of your qualifications, you'll have to submit your CRB check just to show if you can be trusted with holding a sensitive position. And in this case - his "CRB check" is about how trustworthy he's; if he identifies with his identity; and if he can relate to the people.

However, based on his antecedents and public image - he failed the CRB check. Evidently, he has absolutely nothing to offer. The guy looks like a cowboy who's seeking personal gains, and not someone seeking to represent the people - which is what political office is about. He never aligned with them in public before now due to personal gains - and he's trying to align with them now probably due to personal gains. Can you see the guy is a fraud now? So, basically, what's a fraud going to offer, apart from personal gains. And that's the only reason why Nigeria is stuck in medieval ages because the politicians don't represent the people - they're just in there for personal gains

Also, the fault-lines are always going to be there whether you like it or not - that's how humanity was created. Except if those in there aren't indigenous people. Human beings are naturally territorial. Hence the two bloodiest wars ever fought - WW1 and WW2 - were fought in Europe basically because of the same reason - tribalism, territorial integrity, and fault-lines. The only reason why there hasn't been a WW3 is because they know that might wipe everyone off the planet. However, they're still tribal - but with more autonomy for the tribal identities, and more tribal/ethnic identities are still asking for more autonomy. Something Nigerians still don't understand. Study history, brother.

2 Likes

Re: Desmond Elliot To Contest For Lagos House Of Assembly by nzeBiddle(m): 4:04pm On Sep 12, 2014
Well your opinion smiley. My worry though is a situation where you (and also a lot of folks on here) have outrightly dismissed his candidature primarily based on the fact that "he is not one us (ie you and your ilk)" -this, inspite of the fact that his father is a yoruba man from that same lagos state. I would have thought you should more interested in what he claims he would be 'bringing to the table'/his agenda, its 'workability' and his ability to deliver (competence); past community involvement if any and all that in assessing his suitability for the post. I am no fan of his; he may well be incompetent afterall but then this is what I believe should be primarily used to judge him. Ditto all his opponents

superstar1:

To some, the lack of worthy history and lack of canaan land-like ancestral land, makes them want to always advocate others to jettison their past for them.

Any competent whatsoever, should go back to either sambisa or gully erosion or oil land and turn it into dubai and not our forefathers land.

They should show us what 8th wonder of the world they have achieved on their soil before they can aspire tp.lead others. The blind is aspiring to lead the full sighted. What an aberration.

Re: Desmond Elliot To Contest For Lagos House Of Assembly by docsholz(m): 4:07pm On Sep 12, 2014
The guy will come dead last
Re: Desmond Elliot To Contest For Lagos House Of Assembly by ibedun: 4:08pm On Sep 12, 2014
According to my mama the boy na IBO!

Finish!

One drop of Ibo blood = 0 Yoruba vote. Abeg!!

That no mans land thinz dey vex me en!

5 Likes

Re: Desmond Elliot To Contest For Lagos House Of Assembly by thwarrior72: 4:11pm On Sep 12, 2014
ibedun: If i hear that IGBO nonsense. See as Olusola suddenly appear!!! Igbo boy

My mama talk say na IBO

"omo ibo" ni boda Desmond
Insanity grin
Re: Desmond Elliot To Contest For Lagos House Of Assembly by Nobody: 4:12pm On Sep 12, 2014
tupacshakur:

Superstar1, gboju n be! Emi mo Desmond dele o! I know the guy reach house!

Na confirmed Yoruba Guy. We grew up in the same neighbourhood in Surulere. We used to call him Brother Shola back in the days. His younger brother is still a friend of mine and all his siblings bear Yoruba first names. I wondered and still wonder why he didn't bear his first name as a Movie person.

His late Dad was a confirmed Omo isale eko and his Mom, who is Delta igbo speaks Yoruba more than she does Igbo...

This post sums it up!

LOBATAN!!

I wish Olusola Desmond Elliot all the best in his political career. cool
Re: Desmond Elliot To Contest For Lagos House Of Assembly by Keenysbojan(m): 4:13pm On Sep 12, 2014
I think you guys have problems,if he likes he join politics,how does that reduce the price of garri in market? mitshw undecidedI
Re: Desmond Elliot To Contest For Lagos House Of Assembly by lyricalz: 4:17pm On Sep 12, 2014
Asoozy: His name don already disqualify him. He better revert back to his Yoruba last name.

Moreso he is half Igbo.

Yeye dey smell so now he remembers his real first name? When he needed to get into nollywood he discarded his Yoruba identity so as to be accepted fully into the ibo industry.

Nonsense and alubosa!

He is not even married to a Yoruba o.

Na tribalism na im go kill u die troway. Obama no be kenyan? Whatz ur biz with the ethnicity of the woman he got married to? Infact ur mouth dey smell.
Re: Desmond Elliot To Contest For Lagos House Of Assembly by Asoozy: 4:18pm On Sep 12, 2014
berem: This post sums it up!

LOBATAN!!

I wish Olusola Desmond Elliot all the best in his political career. cool

Berem, this dey give you hope say your half Igbo half Omo Eko pikin go fit contest for governorship in fushure abi?

Lol...

2 Likes

Re: Desmond Elliot To Contest For Lagos House Of Assembly by Nobody: 4:20pm On Sep 12, 2014
tupacshakur:

Shymexx, My man!

DesBaba na Yoruba guy o and he's very proud of his yoruba lineage.

You claimed he didn't align himself with his people, but how could he have done that when there was no opportunity to do so until now.

He and all his siblings attended the state school, LASU based on their indigeneship status and his Dad was one of the Lagosians the government had to resettle from the Island to Surulere (New Lagos) in the 80s. His Mom still lives in their Dad's house in Surulere.

He didn't change names! He has always been Shola and trust me, his folks and those who know him from way back call him "Shola" and not "Desmond"...

Well I guess Desmond Elliot is his stage name. It is very common for actors to use only their English names for the sake of their acting career. There are many of them both yorubas and igbo actors who use only their english names.
Re: Desmond Elliot To Contest For Lagos House Of Assembly by Asoozy: 4:20pm On Sep 12, 2014
lyricalz:

Na tribalism na im go kill u die troway. Obama no be kenyan? Whatz ur biz with the ethnicity of the woman he got married to? Infact ur mouth dey smell.

America na immigrant land now. Both slave and master fit contest. But for Lagos? Ko jo!

4 Likes

Re: Desmond Elliot To Contest For Lagos House Of Assembly by Asoozy: 4:24pm On Sep 12, 2014
berem: Well I guess Desmond Elliot is his stage name. It is very common for actors to use only their English names for the sake of their acting career. There are many of them both yorubas and igbo actors who use only their english names.

I hope he can explain that to a Yoruba voter who sees Desmond Eliot for one paper then look on another come see ademola Dosunmu on another. No question whom I'm go identify with. Moreso when previously he used to see Desmond's face on Igbo movie covers.

E go quick borrow himself brain come ask himself whether im wan sell im papa land.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Desmond Elliot To Contest For Lagos House Of Assembly by Nobody: 4:26pm On Sep 12, 2014
Asoozy:

Berem, this dey give you hope say your half Igbo half Omo Eko pikin go fit contest for governorship in fushure abi?

Lol...
Egbon,there's no doubt that Desmond Elliot is a confirm yoruba dude. Your grouse with him is that he didn't add "Sola" to his names all these while. I don't think it matters honestly. What matters now is for lagosians to give him all the support he needs.

1 Like

Re: Desmond Elliot To Contest For Lagos House Of Assembly by Nobody: 4:28pm On Sep 12, 2014
tupacshakur:

I also think he fuccked up by not coming out with his Yoruba name from the onset!

Well, like some Motherfuckers postulated on this thread, I think he wanted to endear himself to the Movie producers who were mostly Igbos, but he sure didn't consider the long-term consequences...

I'm cool, bro! How your side na?

Thug Life!

Yes, he goofed with his name and public image, for something trying to contest for a public officer. Your name determines your identity, even if you don't overtly connect with it. At least, folks will know who you're. Like once you see Shaniqua or Letisha - you know that's a negro right there. But Shaniqua herself might not be ghetto - but her blackness can never be denied. Ditto names with Mac, Mc and O' as the prefix - you know off the bat that the person is Celt (either Irish or Scottish).

Anyway, folks need to start calling out the bigoted and medieval movie industry that hides under the "Nigerian" emblem, but isn't all inclusive. And perhaps, that will improve the quality - rather the trash that it's. The quality is so poor that, I'd rather sit outside and watch the sun, than watch anything nollywood has to offer. The hustle messed this nyggah up - and he needs accept that he goofed, and move on with life. His "talent" should be used to improve nollywood for future generations.

Oi, like Pac said in "White manz world" that, "look at you/you're not even using your brain/Look at you, what makes you ashamed of being black." That's this nyggah's unauthorised autobiography right there.

The Hate U Give Little Infants Fvck Everyone - THUG LIFE forever!

I'm out!

3 Likes

Re: Desmond Elliot To Contest For Lagos House Of Assembly by Nobody: 4:28pm On Sep 12, 2014
Asoozy:

I hope he can explain that to a Yoruba voter who sees Desmond Eliot for one paper then look on another come see ademola Dosunmu on another. No question whom I'm go identify with. Moreso when previously he used to see Desmond's face on Igbo movie covers.

E go quick borrow himself brain come ask himself whether im wan sell im papa land.
Desmond Elliot will be massively voted for. How I wished he was contesting under Ojo constituency,I will rally votes for him. He craves for a change and he deserves the chance to make that change. cheesy cheesy
Re: Desmond Elliot To Contest For Lagos House Of Assembly by Asoozy: 4:29pm On Sep 12, 2014
berem: Egbon,there's no doubt that Desmond Elliot is a confirm yoruba dude. Your grouse with him is that he didn't add "Sola" to his names all these while. I don't think it matters honestly. What matters now is for lagosians to give him all the support he needs.

Egbon ke? No kill me for my young age o.

As an Ekoite myself, I denounce his candidacy.

1 Like

Re: Desmond Elliot To Contest For Lagos House Of Assembly by Nobody: 4:31pm On Sep 12, 2014
Asoozy:

Egbon ke? No kill me for my young age o.

As an Ekoite myself, I denounce his candidacy.
well,it is in the hands of Lagosians to decide. cool
Re: Desmond Elliot To Contest For Lagos House Of Assembly by NaijirianKing: 4:32pm On Sep 12, 2014
Thoughts?
Re: Desmond Elliot To Contest For Lagos House Of Assembly by Asoozy: 4:33pm On Sep 12, 2014
berem: Desmond Elliot will be massively voted for. How I wished he was contesting under Ojo constituency,I will rally votes for him. He craves for a change and he deserves the chance to make that change. cheesy cheesy

I know that all this your APC support is to get an ibo man into Lagos' state house.

Kai! Igbo will always be Igbo! Efrytin ma business. cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Desmond Elliot To Contest For Lagos House Of Assembly by NaijirianKing: 4:33pm On Sep 12, 2014
Interesting.
Re: Desmond Elliot To Contest For Lagos House Of Assembly by Asoozy: 4:34pm On Sep 12, 2014
berem: well,it is in the hands of Lagosians to decide. cool

And Lagosians are ibos who form 90% of the electorate.

Hmmm...na una get mouth pass!

1 Like

Re: Desmond Elliot To Contest For Lagos House Of Assembly by superstar1(m): 4:35pm On Sep 12, 2014
berem: Egbon,there's no doubt that Desmond Elliot is a confirm yoruba dude. Your grouse with him is that he didn't add "Sola" to his names all these while. I don't think it matters honestly. What matters now is for lagosians to give him all the support he needs.

The image he is projecting, is that of a fraudulent person.

How many yorubas, whether Muslim or xtian or traditional worshipper do not bear their yoruba names? It is due to this kind of avoidable controversies.

"Olusola" Desmond Elliot is a fraudster, who did not identify with the people he wanted to lead and now he added the Sola to boost his profile.

I will rather vote for Desmond Elliot than "Olusola " Desmond Elliot, even if he was going to turn water into wine or turn Lagos to Vegas.

6 Likes

Re: Desmond Elliot To Contest For Lagos House Of Assembly by Nobody: 4:42pm On Sep 12, 2014
Asoozy:

I know that all this your APC support is to get an ibo man into Lagos' state house.

Not at all!! Desmond Elliot is a Yoruba man and he has every right to contest in Lagos. You should support him and not castigating him because of his name
Re: Desmond Elliot To Contest For Lagos House Of Assembly by superstar1(m): 4:46pm On Sep 12, 2014
Asoozy:

And Lagosians are ibos who form 90% of the electorate.

Hmmm...na una get mouth pass!

The only way omo y1bo can gba ijoba, is to organise bloody coup they are known for again.

An itshekiri will first become a political office holder on our soil, before any Igbo can even dream of it, talk less of daring it.

2 Likes

Re: Desmond Elliot To Contest For Lagos House Of Assembly by Nobody: 4:47pm On Sep 12, 2014
YoursGEJ: All of you that are speculating on his tribe as the most important thing should close your worm-infested mouths and shove your comments up a place where sunlight does not get to. Why can't you ask about his agenda or plans? Forget corruption and bad leadership, I swear the masses constitute a majority of the problem this country is facing. Alright regarding previous occupants of that seat, I can bet that most of you cannot name a single thing that they contributed to the community or a bill they have sponsored in the house. But you'd rather let them continue unchallenged in their position. Why? Because both of their parents are Lagosians. Imagine that your car broke down and what is most important to you is whether the mechanic that is trying to fix it is from your village even though all the previous mechanics who have tried but failed to fix it were all from your village. This politics of tribalism has led Nigeria nowhere especially under this current democratic dispensation. When military regimes used administrators from other parts of the country to rule a state, Nigeria saw more development that indigenous politicians have never been able to replicate be it at the federal, state or local level.

You should all bow your heads in shame and look to change your ways because you are enemies of progress to this country

And by the way, if the constitution says he is eligible to contest for that seat, as can be ascertained by INEC, there is nothing you can do to stop him. So look for the nearest transformer and do this country a favour by doing the needful
I wish there was a way I could give multiple thanks... I wished there was a way I could thank you multiple times... God bless you for this wisdom and please do well to pass it on to your offspring, Nigeria lacks it at the higher totem pole.

1 Like

Re: Desmond Elliot To Contest For Lagos House Of Assembly by Nobody: 4:50pm On Sep 12, 2014
shymexx:

Fam, I admire your courage with speaking your mind with no holds barred, unlike all these other folks who're inherently bigoted, but revel in trying to protect a fraudulent image on a faceless forum.

So, basically, this nyggah right here is reminiscent of an Uncle Tom who has never associated with the black community, but decided to align himself with his own people after getting the negro-wake-up-call? That's definitely an unacceptable behaviour. Just because he wanted to make it big, in a medieval and tribalistic movie industry, that churns out the crappiest movies ever known to mankind - with utter poor acting and useless scripts, no? Anyway, that's why the prerequisite for contesting an election, to be voted for, everywhere on the planet - is based on how long you've lived in a place and if you can prove beyond reasonable doubt that you can relate to the people within that constituency - and see yourself as part of them. To contest for an election in the UK, you've to show your Britishness. And it's the same everywhere else.

Regardless, you can't blame him for that. Sometimes, you can't blame folks for whatever they do to to become a success story. Hence people ditch ethnic and African names sometimes for job opportunities due to institutional racism. Perhaps, that movie industry needs to be called out, for not giving all Nigerians equal opportunities, and being disproportionately in favour of a particular group - since it represents Nigeria and the national language of the country, which is the English language.

Well, if the shitty nollywood should be the premise of how he's going to perform - then ol'boy needs to stick to being a crappy actor, and not destroy my darn home state!

Salute!

See this one.
Nollywood will keep going places internationally while u will remain a cleaner in UK.
Igbo/english nollywood is crappy? wait till u see the Yoruba films.
There is nothing tribalistic abt nollywood, igbos gave it existence and life , so the glory will go to them.
Having Been schemed out of federal politics in. the 70s, igbos delved into the private sectors of which nollywood is among .

2 Likes

Re: Desmond Elliot To Contest For Lagos House Of Assembly by nzeBiddle(m): 4:51pm On Sep 12, 2014
Well if really that is the case ie he has not been 'significantly involved' with his people or rather people of that constituency (probably only folks who come from/reside/know the area can accurately tell) then it further portrays his incompetence and as such is/should be a big dent on his suitability. Now I would expect most of the debates on here to primarily centre on that. Furthermore I do not think the sudden 'olusola' aspect is strong enough to completely write him off as a jobber or unstable fellow (NB nigerian politicans do it a lot because majority of the masses/those who vote in this country primarily yield to sentiments/emotions UNFORTUNATELY, so these politicians do not waste time in fanning the embers of such eg "Goodluck to Azikiwe", "Rotimi to Chibuike" etc hence I do not read serious meaning into it; just a strategy to rope in the majority ignorant electorate). While this aspect is a crucial point/ key reservation (given the nigerian context) no doubt, I believe as I have repeatedly mentioned that the more salient issues are those we ought to be primarily disecting as folks who comparatively should know better.

shymexx:

See when you apply for certain jobs, regardless of your qualifications, you'll have to submit your CRB check just to show if you can be trusted with holding a sensitive position. And in this case - his "CRB check" is about how trustworthy he's; if he identifies with his identity; and if he can relate to the people.

However, based on his antecedents and public image - he failed the CRB check. Evidently, he has absolutely nothing to offer. The guy looks like a cowboy who's seeking personal gains, and not someone seeking to represent the people - which is what political office is about. He never aligned with them in public before now due to personal gains - and he's trying to align with them now probably due to personal gains. Can you see the guy is a fraud now? So, basically, what's a fraud going to offer, apart from personal gains. And that's the only reason why Nigeria is stuck in medieval ages because the politicians don't represent the people - they're just in there for personal gains

Also, the fault-lines are always going to be there whether you like it or not - that's how humanity was created. Except if those in there aren't indigenous people. Human beings are naturally territorial. Hence the two bloodiest wars ever fought - WW1 and WW2 - were fought in Europe basically because of the same reason - tribalism, territorial integrity, and fault-lines. The only reason why there hasn't been a WW3 is because they know that might wipe everyone off the planet. However, they're still tribal - but with more autonomy for the tribal identities, and more tribal/ethnic identities are still asking for more autonomy. Something Nigerians still don't understand. Study history, brother.
Re: Desmond Elliot To Contest For Lagos House Of Assembly by Nobody: 4:53pm On Sep 12, 2014
They all went into music, but couldn't succeed, now na politics. Una go fit withstand?
Una beta join D Banj for Agric business jare.
Re: Desmond Elliot To Contest For Lagos House Of Assembly by Nobody: 4:54pm On Sep 12, 2014
Asoozy:

The aforementioned actors made a name before the ibo producers hijacked the movie industry. As a matter of fact, these names helped launch a lot of the producers into prominence and not the other way around. The likes of omotola made her name when the Opa Williams', the Simi Opeoluwas, thé Amatas, the Tade Ogidans ran thé show.

Desmond Elliot is part of thé second génération that came when thé ibo producers had infiltrated the market.

The names you mentioned were established household names so it is in ibo marketers interest to take advantage.

my friend, igbos started nollywood industry In 1992.
Prior to that, people were making local films , igbo, yoruba, etc but it wasn't an industry yet.
Omotola joined nollywood in 2000 or so and NW gave her fame.
nobody knew omotola bfr nollywood
Re: Desmond Elliot To Contest For Lagos House Of Assembly by Nobody: 4:58pm On Sep 12, 2014
Asoozy:

Mortal inheritance made Omotola Jalade and propelled her into prominence. The movie was directed by Fred Amata and released in 1995.

by which time nollywood has started and it was still Igbo dominated.
There was never a time igbos weren't much in nollywood.
production is also different from directing
Re: Desmond Elliot To Contest For Lagos House Of Assembly by abdulwastecx(m): 5:08pm On Sep 12, 2014
Evergreen123:

by which time nollywood has started and it was still Igbo dominated.
There was never a time igbos weren't much in nollywood.
production is also different from directing

that is why they lack professionalism...

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

6 Critical Reasons Why Northern Nigeria Remains The Poorest - Sen. Shehu Sani / 2023: Tinubu/Shettima-NAIRAXI Transit Card Opens Portal, Commence Registration / Yahaya Bello: Why Tinubu Should Not Succeed Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.