Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,761 members, 7,817,104 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:42 AM

On Nigerian Women And (lack Of) Future Ambition - Romance (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / On Nigerian Women And (lack Of) Future Ambition (37061 Views)

Ways To Know Your Boyfriend Has No Future Ambition / Is Prior Behavior Is A Good Predictor Of Future Behavior? / Nigerian Women And Their Abundance Of Future Ambition (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: On Nigerian Women And (lack Of) Future Ambition by sheniqua: 1:28pm On Sep 23, 2014
pickabeau1: i still dont get sheniquas points you are quoting what happened donkey years ago

The original post was clear

Women achieve something for yourself. some women nowadays are not interested in career or a biz

Bukatyne also has been precise and clear

NOI;s husband could still cheat if she was in the US or not

Its a personal thing

You hardly get any reasonable points on NL so I am not surprised
Are there any careers in Nigeria devoid of women,please name one
Where have you entered into and saw no women working there?

I live in the USA and most of my friends are Nigerians
Every single one of them work
So who are these girls without ambitions that want to sit home and do nothing?

I have younger brothers with wives the age of most posters here,they work and work hard

1 Like

Re: On Nigerian Women And (lack Of) Future Ambition by pickabeau1: 1:32pm On Sep 23, 2014
Typical from you.. its not new

Once you start on a line of thinking.. you continue on it obtusely

Let me humour you

There are no careers where woman CAN perform

Note this is different from women are working in all careers

Next..

ok i saw this late

The issue is not about women working.women in the previous generation worked and raised kids
Its about a new breed of women who are not interested in working even though they have degrees and can work and just want to be settled maritally

Crystal?
sheniqua:

You hardly get any reasonable points on NL so I am not surprised
Are there any careers in Nigeria devoid of women,please name one

I live in the USA and most of my friends are Nigerians
Every single one of them work
So who are these girls without ambitions that want to sit home and do nothing?

1 Like

Re: On Nigerian Women And (lack Of) Future Ambition by sheniqua: 1:35pm On Sep 23, 2014
pickabeau1: Typical from you.. its not new

Once you start on a line of thinking.. you continue on it obtusely

Let me humour you

There are no careers where woman CAN perform

Note this is different from women are working in all careers

Next..

Then change the topic to sexism,se,xual harassment and gender discrimination and it's general acceptance as the norm in Nigeria rather than talk of something else and have another in mind.
Someone already told us entry girls in banks cannot get pregnant and marry as a rule and it is acceptable
Tell us something we don't know
Re: On Nigerian Women And (lack Of) Future Ambition by pickabeau1: 1:39pm On Sep 23, 2014
So why did not read the post to comprehend the thrust of the poster

sheniqua:

Then change the topic to sexism,se,xual harassment and gender discrimination in Nigeria rather than talk of something else and have another in mind.
Someone already told us entry girls in banks cannot get pregnant and marry as a rule and it is acceptable
Tell us something we don't know

1 Like

Re: On Nigerian Women And (lack Of) Future Ambition by sheniqua: 1:42pm On Sep 23, 2014
Gotta baff
I have a job to go to cool
Re: On Nigerian Women And (lack Of) Future Ambition by scooby650(m): 1:42pm On Sep 23, 2014
alexx187: .....eloquence homie.....spellcheck.....
my frd both eloquent and eloquence are nearly the same words but (Oratory) fit in to qualify her academic writing.

1 Like

Re: On Nigerian Women And (lack Of) Future Ambition by Nobody: 1:46pm On Sep 23, 2014
pickabeau1: i still dont get sheniquas points you are quoting what happened donkey years ago

The original post was clear

Women achieve something for yourself. some women nowadays are not interested in career or a biz

Bukatyne also has been precise and clear

NOI;s husband could still cheat if she was in the US or not

Its a personal thing

apparently sheqina is being sentimental like I said being responsible is not a gender issue. some guys have got their flaws too , just that we have got more females with the lacadestical attitude. no one says career overr marriage . get married and yea , ur hubby can't still support you in whatever you wish for yourself. if he doesn't then he does not love you enough .his fear is you might be more successful than him . I haven't in my lifetime seen a woman who dumps her family just because she is now so successful. someone asked , how many women that are successful are in their husbands houses .I would ask are there no unsuccessful women that are divorced. so which is better being successful or living ur life for a man you don't love.

1 Like

Re: On Nigerian Women And (lack Of) Future Ambition by pickabeau1: 1:48pm On Sep 23, 2014
majekdom2: apparently sheqina is being sentimental like I said being responsible is not a gender issue. some guys have got their flaws too , just that we have got more females with the lacadestical attitude. no one says career overr marriage . get married and yea , ur hubby can't still support you in whatever you wish for yourself. if he doesn't then he does not love you enough .his fear is you might be more successful than him . I haven't in my lifetime seen a woman who dumps her family just because she is now so successful. someone asked , how many women that are successful are in their husbands houses .I would ask are there no unsuccessful women that are divorced. so which is better being successful or living ur life for a man you don't love.

good for her

The post is clear in my opinion

Women need this so that they are not left in the lurch in life

Things happen - they could be widowed, job loss by the hubby etc

1 Like

Re: On Nigerian Women And (lack Of) Future Ambition by bukatyne(f): 1:55pm On Sep 23, 2014
safarigirl: If you're one who has stayed within the female hostel of any Nigerian University, you'll find that most of it's occupants share similar hopes and dreams- and no, it's not to excel in their chosen career paths.

One of the lecturers in my school aptly described women as 'a waste of education'...no, it wasn't an insult, it was just stating the obvious. You find a woman who has hustled through primary, secondary and University education. One who looked set to be a force to reckon with in the world of business or law or medicine, I mean a female with straight A's and you think Nigerian women may be getting things right, only to follow her back to her hostel and hear these heart-breaking words:

"Omo, after school na to find husband marry remain."

In the real sense of the word this is translated to:

"After school, I'll fling my degee inside one iron box in my dad's storeroom, find a perfect mugu that will put a ring on my finger, buy me a car, set up a boutique/beauty saloon for me and all I have to do to get this is spread my legs for him and push out little people with his DNA"

Nigerian women view marriage the same way hustling Nigerian men view the US Green Card- an avenue to escape life's troubles. So in the same way you find 23 year old Nigerian men marrying 56 year old American women, you find young, promising women relegated to some man's priority list.

Here she is saying some Nigerian women see marriage as a means to an end. Theirs is not the issue of 'I have to sacrifice A, B, C for family; they are not even ready to venture into their chosen path at all'

I don't think most Nigerian women realise that nobody wants to get attached to a leech. If you allow some Nigerian women, they would even want their husbands to carry the babies and birth them as well. And when you ask why they don't want to build wealth with a man, you hear:

"I've already suffered in my father's house. I don't want to continue suffering in my husband's house"

Now unless you're getting married to a no-good leech like yourself, there is no reason why building wealth with a man should be termed 'suffering'

She is encouraging women to go for upcoming men and together build a home

Even on Sun Newspaper's 'Beauty Of The Week' it's the same thing.

Future Ambition: Getting Married And Having Kids

If you think God put you on this earth to make a liability of yourself, you need to think again. There is more to life than being someone's baby mama. There is a purpose for getting an education that lies beyond being able to speak good english whenever you and your man attend social functions

Nigerian women need to sit down and re-evaluate their lives. God sent you to assist a man, not to add to his problems. Men appreciate women who can think for themselves, who want to contribute to the family (and I don't mean churning out kids). There is nothing more endearing than a smart woman who views men as companions rather than money bags.

Another powerful message

Don't waste the education your parents worked so hard to provide for you. Break the stereotype, Nigerian women should be more than gold-digging leeches. If the likes of Oby Ezekwesili, Joke Silva, NOI can be successful career women as well as wives and mothers, then we all need to dust up our certificates and CVs and have proper future ambitions

@ last bolded, classic.

God Bless You...and don't take this the wrong way grin

I went back to quote the OP and will highlight some parts

sheniqua:
The thread is about so many things including that I read the original post three times and shook my head each time.
Do you know why my career seems to be picking up now,my kids are no longer babies
They can pretty much do everything themselves so I have less to do for them
I can afford to stay at work till 7 PM and do stuff
I can travel out to conferences
In fact this October I will be out almost two weeks on work related stuff ( one week at a time)
I can take part in career enhancing ventures out of town
I couldn't do that before

1 Like

Re: On Nigerian Women And (lack Of) Future Ambition by Nobody: 2:10pm On Sep 23, 2014
50calibre:
I tell ya!! Check the life expectancy for men, it's much lower than that of women, because a man toils all his life to please his family, till the day he drops dead. Life is too short to put up with a pest who can't bring some form of positivity into your life.

Safarigirl sounds like a lesbian or Asexual to me, I'm confused. One minute I see her speaking of her disinterest in men & the other I see her creating threads with pics of oiled men with muscle grin I think she's smart but somewhat bipolar.

Lmao @ the bold. These women are blood suckers. grin

I need to start going out there to get their own, we're all equal and there's absolutely no excuse! I laughed hysterically when I saw some simpletons on this thread making excuses for women yesterday. Like seriously, aren't boys and girls raised the same way in naija? If the guys can go out of their way to better their lives and achieve success, why can't the women do the same? Why aren't guys sitting their ar.ses down, and waiting for a rich woman to marry them? Everything about these naija folks defies logic - and most of them think like villagers, to be honest. Those women need to start spending all the money they spend on bleaching cream and fake hair (Nigeria is one of the biggest markets for both products), to better their lives and get proper education.

Lmao @ Safari being bipolar. She's still a kid, and still growing. I guess that's why she's confused. However, if you can sift what she has to say - she's good money.

1 Like

Re: On Nigerian Women And (lack Of) Future Ambition by winner01(m): 2:25pm On Sep 23, 2014
CoCoLav: Well...no matter how career oriented I am, I know that raising a family will always come first. A career can come after my family. My father has always told me that a time will come when you have all you want and money will mean nothing to you. Only your family will remain and you will be blessed to have them.

I know women who chased their careers and are now very rich but still sow seeds for marriage in church on Sundays. There's no time limit to making money but there's a time limit for having kids. There's no joy in coming home to an empty house.

You can be successful even after marriage and let's face it, at the end of the day who are you working for? its your kids. You work to provide for them and make them have a better life not really for yourself. Right now all i keep thinking of is an effective way to balance the both. Everything comes with a price and at the end of the day you choose that which is more pleasing to you so don't go castigating those who have made raising kids their ambition.

If everyone thought the same way or had the same ambition, the world will be a boring place indeed.
can I say I love you for this.
Re: On Nigerian Women And (lack Of) Future Ambition by Nobody: 2:28pm On Sep 23, 2014
A man and a woman ain't equal tho .... carrying a baby for 9 months ain't an easy task.... but no one is a lesser.The fact that he has got so much money doesn't mean a wife can't add to her society by simply engaging herself. some housewives atimes even put the responsibility of her own extended family on the man ....quite serious.
Re: On Nigerian Women And (lack Of) Future Ambition by Princessoyinkan(f): 2:36pm On Sep 23, 2014
godofwar666: Nigerian women don't think straight espacially the learned one's... All they think of is to make use of iphone6, brazilian hair, exotic cars and to be with there sugar daddie! Please don't quote
cry
godofwar666: Nigerian women don't think straight espacially the learned one's... All they think of is to make use of iphone6, brazilian hair, exotic cars and to be with there sugar daddie! Please don't quote
Re: On Nigerian Women And (lack Of) Future Ambition by tpia1: 2:57pm On Sep 23, 2014
Empress2014: I was in 400 level when my dad started asking who my fiancee was, I politely ignore his question, after that I told my dad I wanna go for my Master's after Nysc, his reply was "ile oko e lo ti ma se masters". Situations like this won't make some ladies think straight at all, pressure from our parents is somehow frustration, some parents needs to be enlightened

is it that hard to get a man?

if you dont start looking now, are you not delaying the whole thing?

does getting a masters mean you must not start searching for who to marry or who will marry you?

1 Like

Re: On Nigerian Women And (lack Of) Future Ambition by Nobody: 3:05pm On Sep 23, 2014
Logicalmindy: How would they aspire to be great in life?, when their female Nigerian counterparts who are breaking records is being bashed of being loose, husbandless and prostitute e.g Chimamanda, Genevieve, Linda Ikeji, Rita Dominic etc
Chimamanda is actually married. So to people with the crab and slave mentality,career driven women whether married or single will always be lashed with hatred and jealousy. It's sad to say that among these foul mouthed people, a greater number of them are fellow women- FACT!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: On Nigerian Women And (lack Of) Future Ambition by Empress2014(f): 3:07pm On Sep 23, 2014
tpia1:

does getting a masters mean you must not start searching for who to marry or who will marry you?
lol.....some things just have to be put in place before embarking on such journey, and besides he is making it look as if "bcus I had a degree already, the next step is to bring a man home" am pretty sure if am a man, he won't ask me to bring a wife home even when am still in school....its just like trying to make someone embark on a journey that someone is not ready for

3 Likes

Re: On Nigerian Women And (lack Of) Future Ambition by Nobody: 3:16pm On Sep 23, 2014
tpia1:

it actually isnt easy to find the right man ... I don't mean money now. I mean a guy who can be real.

1 Like

Re: On Nigerian Women And (lack Of) Future Ambition by Nobody: 3:29pm On Sep 23, 2014
EbolaParasite:

Here's my problem with your statement - You make it seem like the ultimate goal of going to school is TO WORK in the corporate world.
The reason girls are sent to school is to get an EDUCATION and ACQUIRE KNOWLEDGE.
If she chooses to be an Educated Housewife - so be it. The most important thing is that she is not an ILLITERATE.
Educated Women help marriages blossom. Some housewives help their husbands do their accounting etc.
The so-called boutique you are criticizing is not a bad idea at all. What is wrong with the hubby getting the wife a boutique and she puts her education into good use and turns a 50,000 naira boutique to a multi-million naira franchise?

I know a woman who opened a store and started selling groceries as a housewife with her husband's initial investment. The husband worked for an oil company that starts with "S" and they were very comfortable. She grew the store to a multi-million naira outfit that they both run today. Husband is now retired.

Not everyone will be a lawyer, engineer, doctor etc. There is nothing wrong with women chosing to get married. You can chose to be career and oriented and be a Condolezza rice or maintain a balance between both and be a Hilary Clinton or chose to have a happy family while you raise your kids like the numerous women around. Nothing wrong with it.
Exactly. Your life, your decisions. No one should decide how you should live your life. People will always talk even if you are an angel. As perfect as Jesus Christ was, a notorious criminal was chosen to be freed over him. He was jailed,beaten and killed like a common criminal. You'll face none of that for choosing a career path so just do it . Your female ancestors did it, why shouldn't you?
Re: On Nigerian Women And (lack Of) Future Ambition by tpia1: 3:35pm On Sep 23, 2014
majekdom2: it actually isnt easy to find the right man ... I don't mean money now. I mean a guy who can be real.

thats why someone who is interested in marrying, should start searching prior to tying the knot.
Re: On Nigerian Women And (lack Of) Future Ambition by tpia1: 3:36pm On Sep 23, 2014
Empress2014: lol.....some things just have to be put in place before embarking on such journey, and besides he is making it look as if "bcus I had a degree already, the next step is to bring a man home" am pretty sure if am a man, he won't ask me to bring a wife home even when am still in school....its just like trying to make someone embark on a journey that someone is not ready for

women's biological clocks are different from men's.

dont be confused by the media stories of women who are giving birth in their 60s and 70s, real life is different.

i wonder if you think you are wiser than your dad in this matter.
Re: On Nigerian Women And (lack Of) Future Ambition by tpia1: 3:36pm On Sep 23, 2014
Re: On Nigerian Women And (lack Of) Future Ambition by Empress2014(f): 3:49pm On Sep 23, 2014
tpia1:

women's biological clocks are different from men's.

dont be confused by the media stories of women who are giving birth in their 60s and 70s, real life is different.

i wonder if you think you are wiser than your dad in this matter.
not claiming to be wiser than him at all, but there are some decisions I can't be forced to make, we aren't seeing things the same way, lol....you no go understand
Re: On Nigerian Women And (lack Of) Future Ambition by tpia1: 3:52pm On Sep 23, 2014
ok, e nor concern anybody sha.

just wondering if you intend to go the 27 dresses route.

[img]http://sarcasmsoapbox.files./2012/06/27-dresses.jpg?w=580&h=326[/img]
Re: On Nigerian Women And (lack Of) Future Ambition by Empress2014(f): 3:56pm On Sep 23, 2014
tpia1: ok, e nor concern anybody sha.

lol......
Re: On Nigerian Women And (lack Of) Future Ambition by Nobody: 4:01pm On Sep 23, 2014
tpia1: ok, e nor concern anybody sha.

na by force to marry .... I don't know if you are a xtain and dont take this personal if you are not. the bible advices those that want to be closer to God not to marry.

3 Likes

Re: On Nigerian Women And (lack Of) Future Ambition by Nobody: 4:08pm On Sep 23, 2014
Ok.
Re: On Nigerian Women And (lack Of) Future Ambition by Fourwinds: 4:11pm On Sep 23, 2014
safarigirl: If you're one who has stayed within the female hostel of any Nigerian University, you'll find that most of it's occupants share similar hopes and dreams- and no, it's not to excel in their chosen career paths.

One of the lecturers in my school aptly described women as 'a waste of education'...no, it wasn't an insult, it was just stating the obvious. You find a woman who has hustled through primary, secondary and University education. One who looked set to be a force to reckon with in the world of business or law or medicine, I mean a female with straight A's and you think Nigerian women may be getting things right, only to follow her back to her hostel and hear these heart-breaking words:

"Omo, after school na to find husband marry remain."

In the real sense of the word this is translated to:

"After school, I'll fling my degee inside one iron box in my dad's storeroom, find a perfect mugu that will put a ring on my finger, buy me a car, set up a boutique/beauty saloon for me and all I have to do to get this is spread my legs for him and push out little people with his DNA"

Nigerian women view marriage the same way hustling Nigerian men view the US Green Card- an avenue to escape life's troubles. So in the same way you find 23 year old Nigerian men marrying 56 year old American women, you find young, promising women relegated to some man's priority list.

I don't think most Nigerian women realise that nobody wants to get attached to a leech. If you allow some Nigerian women, they would even want their husbands to carry the babies and birth them as well. And when you ask why they don't want to build wealth with a man, you hear:

"I've already suffered in my father's house. I don't want to continue suffering in my husband's house"

Now unless you're getting married to a no-good leech like yourself, there is no reason why building wealth with a man should be termed 'suffering'

Even on Sun Newspaper's 'Beauty Of The Week' it's the same thing.

Future Ambition: Getting Married And Having Kids

If you think God put you on this earth to make a liability of yourself, you need to think again. There is more to life than being someone's baby mama. There is a purpose for getting an education that lies beyond being able to speak good english whenever you and your man attend social functions

Nigerian women need to sit down and re-evaluate their lives. God sent you to assist a man, not to add to his problems. Men appreciate women who can think for themselves, who want to contribute to the family (and I don't mean churning out kids). There is nothing more endearing than a smart woman who views men as companions rather than money bags.

Don't waste the education your parents worked so hard to provide for you. Break the stereotype, Nigerian women should be more than gold-digging leeches. If the likes of Oby Ezekwesili, Joke Silva, NOI can be successful career women as well as wives and mothers, then we all need to dust up our certificates and CVs and have proper future ambitions.

God Bless You...and don't take this the wrong way grin
kai.! u just make my belle sweet with ur post. u have said it all.
Re: On Nigerian Women And (lack Of) Future Ambition by Fourwinds: 4:18pm On Sep 23, 2014
tpia1:

thats why someone who is interested in marrying, should start searching prior to tying the knot.
that time meant for the search is what they use for funfair..,party here and there instead of targeting the fish.
Re: On Nigerian Women And (lack Of) Future Ambition by bukatyne(f): 4:18pm On Sep 23, 2014
FrankAba1: I have been following this thread from a far. Career now, Family later? Watch and listen to Danielle Crittenden opinion on it :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TU1isJvsTCw

Is this all you gathered from the OP?
Re: On Nigerian Women And (lack Of) Future Ambition by Nobody: 4:25pm On Sep 23, 2014
bukatyne:

Is this all you gathered from the OP?

NO.
Re: On Nigerian Women And (lack Of) Future Ambition by fightforchange1(f): 5:17pm On Sep 23, 2014
fightforchange1:

Huh??
R u serious?
Lmao.

Please inform y they R gonna murder me
Re: On Nigerian Women And (lack Of) Future Ambition by Nobody: 5:26pm On Sep 23, 2014
koyyes:
Chimamanda is actually married. So to people with the crab and slave mentality,career driven women whether married or single will always be lashed with hatred and jealousy. It's sad to say that among these foul mouthed people, a greater number of them are fellow women- FACT!

You have said it all, @bolded.

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply)

Man Proposes To His Girlfriend At Shoprite In Ibadan (Photos) / Nairalanders Tell Us Your Selling Point(goody Bag) / My Mum Is Against My Relationship

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.