Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,230 members, 7,815,297 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:25 AM

Buhari Begins Town Hall Meetings - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari Begins Town Hall Meetings (32241 Views)

Buhari Begins The Process Of Payment Of N5,000 To Extremely Poor Nigerians -Pic / Presidency To Begin Town Hall Meetings Across Nigeria – Aide / President Buhari Begins Short Vacation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Buhari Begins Town Hall Meetings by silvernus0: 9:30pm On Feb 02, 2015
actually i will not mind voting for BUHARI but him skippn a debate shows a lot of incompetency,

i cannot vote some who cannot face other aspirate to tell us what economic policies he intend to introduce for a change.

we are not looking at your ascent , or qualification, just let the people have a first hand feel your sincerity that all.

'

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Buhari Begins Town Hall Meetings by raumdeuter: 9:33pm On Feb 02, 2015
cesareborgia:
What happens to the people in pokistum, laffia, awka, asaba, calabar ,uyo, ilorin, ile ife, jalingo,markudi,gboko...Are they not all Nigerians...Make buhari debate...and still try organised 'em townhall meetings...nothing spoil...

The townhalls would be televised and questions can still be sent via social media

Its better to talk to the electorate the people you are planning to serve than to engage other aspirants
Re: Buhari Begins Town Hall Meetings by Nobody: 9:35pm On Feb 02, 2015
aresa:

What other unintelligent crap would you love to share because the one you just spewed is grossly stale and weak.... grin

I would have love to see that eddioott calling people illiterates...
Re: Buhari Begins Town Hall Meetings by Nobody: 9:38pm On Feb 02, 2015
kenock:
Buhari wants to respect his age, he doesn't want to go there and blow a wrong grammer, so they wouldn't raise the cerficicate....certificate issue

This is one of the typical PDP dunces asking for certificate...like the one call Descartes..
Re: Buhari Begins Town Hall Meetings by duality(m): 9:38pm On Feb 02, 2015
Absolute rubbish!!

Now its obvious the APC are not tired of talking to themselves. A town hall meeting where 99% attendees will be party supporters organised by their party men and women.

A situation where Buhari and Osinbajo will not face on the spot scrutiny and broad appraisal without party sentiments. Always swimming in their comfort zone. The so called town hall meeting is not different from the rallies being done so far. This guys just want us to go for election without us having something concrete to hold them to. Its so unfortunate.

Have we not seen even governorship debates before in various state. Politics is about our choice based on superior ideas. Now after the so called town hall meeting held today, have the media been able to report any meaningful thing?

Nigerians must break out of this spell. something is not just right. How can we be so weak when it comes to APC

God have mercy.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Begins Town Hall Meetings by Marvin67: 9:40pm On Feb 02, 2015
Come on guys, let's drop partisanship aside and face the truth. A townhall meeting is good, but a debate is very necessary. A debate would only take one day and a few minutes. It gives you an opportunity to take your opponents ideas to the cleaners, and show his supporters how much better you are than him.
A townhall meeting, in most cases would only be attended by few neutrals. Those who have decided to vote GEJ would not attend any GMB townhall meeting and vice versa. A debate would however be viewed by millions of supporters from both sides, thereby giving you the opportunity of wooing your opposition supporters with your brilliant ideas.
Even if the townhall meeting is aired live on TV, it wouldn't carry as much importance as viewers would attach to a debate, and for that reason, many wouldn't view it.
Let's be sincere PDP started the idea of "townhall" meeting. Remember GEJ met with the organized private sector first, and I'm sure they're also preparing to have other meeting. I know for sure that GEJ would hold a meeting with the farmers and other meetings. Just saying this so that when it happens APC guys don't say PDP copied them.

6 Likes

Re: Buhari Begins Town Hall Meetings by zanga420: 9:41pm On Feb 02, 2015
berem:
This is far better than debate. Meet Nigerians one on one and interact with them.

APC teaching Jonathan how to campaign properly.
time n time again I say that people deserve the leadership they get. This guy keep on proving he has nothing tangible to offer to the modern time. All he has been doing is rigmarolling about n hiding under people. Now the mistake in that is, if for instance the get to power, the vp who might be a sound technocrat for which they were voted 'll make less impact in policy making 'cos we know that vps/deputies are spare tires in nigeria politics. Even vibrant/notorious atiku with all his gra gra is an example.
On those saying its an organised/arrangee debate, is the town hall meeting that 'll not be organised/arrangee. If things continue this way he might as well boycott inec n conduct his own election. What is he afraid of? When u know what u're made of, u dont fear competition anywhere.
I remember in 2011 an auntie of mine said that gej 'll dissappoint nigerians, I didnt take it serious n I remember gej won 2011 massively with pure support of the masses. Now many are shouting blindly again n are rooting on another person whom I think they're doing blindly.
What this means is that majority of nigerians make bad decisions.
1. If gej scored lets say 60% or less in his 5yrs tenure , buhari wont score 40% or more. That means a buhari administration(with what I've seen so far) is frying pan to fire
2. The way people blindly follow things especially those that dont have alterior motive is a thing of concern. 'cos if things go worse we suffer it together n vice versa. Thats why I speak, 'cos failure to do so leaves one with a guilty conscience should things go worse. I hate nobody, for instance, if i tell a job seeker 'u are not qualified for this job' it doesnt mean I hate him/her.
God bless nigeria.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari Begins Town Hall Meetings by Descartes: 9:41pm On Feb 02, 2015
ilugunboy:

This is one of the typical PDP dunces asking for certificate...like the one call Descartes..
Pa Ilugunboy, what's your problem?
Re: Buhari Begins Town Hall Meetings by great664(m): 9:41pm On Feb 02, 2015
berem:
This is far better than debate. Meet Nigerians one on one and interact with them.

APC teaching Jonathan how to campaign properly.
did I hear u say meet Nigerians 1by1, will they allow me to be there to ask question or they will prepare down question and those who will ask it + the answer, the only way to prove that he has something upstair is to debate freely without first knowing the question to be ask or who will ask it. Not some arranged town hall meeting......

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Begins Town Hall Meetings by darlenese(f): 9:42pm On Feb 02, 2015
eighTHREAD:
mugu. When he won over the social media and also won all online polls, freaks like you called him an online president, that the electorates are in the grassroots. Now he is meeting the grassroots, freaks like you are still whining.

You mean the online polls where one person voted 500 times? Hahahahahahhahahaha:ahhahhahahhhahahhahahahhahahhaahahhahahhahahhahhahahhahahhahahhahahhahahahhahahahahahahahahhahahahahhahahahhahahahahhahhahahhahahhahahhahhahahhahahhahahahahhahahahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahhahahahahahahahahahahhahhahhahahahhahahahhaahahahhah.

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Begins Town Hall Meetings by DesChyko: 9:43pm On Feb 02, 2015
jayymysterio:

You chanting educated individuals, educated individuals like babalawo, what has "educated individuals" in person of our president brought to this country

He hasn't achieved his full potential truthfully, but he has done quite a lot in spite of the challenges and foes before him. The good-for-nothing illiterates are the culprits utilizing their poisonous words to mislead those who can't find out things for themselves.
And yes, I emphasize on 'educated' because it's not easy to become one. It's far easier not to be. Until these scourges are completely thrown away from the helm of affairs, Nigeria's productivity will continue to decline

1 Like

Re: Buhari Begins Town Hall Meetings by ernieboy(m): 9:44pm On Feb 02, 2015
DesChyko:
Lol.. What class of elites still attend 'town hall meetings'??grin..
Even keke drivers find it outdated. Well, that's where he belongs, amongst the poorly-informed, else he'ld have been better prepared with his certificate issues amongst others.
Do u actually know what a town hall meeting is? stop parading your ignorance in a public forum. Even in advanced democracies like the U.S. Town hall meetings are a very usefl tool for engaging with the electorate.
Re: Buhari Begins Town Hall Meetings by great664(m): 9:47pm On Feb 02, 2015
Surely people will attend and question will be asked but question already prepared and arranged those that will ask it too. Its not new, it happens everywhere,
MyMouth:

Would the town hall meeting not be attended by people? Would questions not be asked and answered? For me the town hall meeting where I will meet the candidate one on one and ask questions and get answers is far better than a televised debate where i would not have the opportunity to ask questions or not even able to watch due to blackout generated by Gej's power companies. Mark my words, generations to come would adopt this model against the normal arrangee debate!

1 Like

Re: Buhari Begins Town Hall Meetings by DesChyko: 9:49pm On Feb 02, 2015
ernieboy:

Do u actually know what a town hall meeting is? stop parading your ignorance in a public forum. Even in advanced democracies like the U.S. Town hall meetings are a very usefl tool for engaging with the electorate.

I don't believe Buhari is the inventor of town meetings in Nigeria. How many of them have you attended personally?
Date, Time and Venue, if you may. I believe in being practical

1 Like

Re: Buhari Begins Town Hall Meetings by Marvin67: 9:51pm On Feb 02, 2015
duality:
Absolute rubbish!!

Now its obvious the APC are not tired of talking to themselves. A town hall meeting where 99% attendees will be party supporters organised by their party men and women.

A situation where Buhari and Osinbajo will not face on the spot scrutiny and broad appraisal without party sentiments. Always swimming in their comfort zone. The so called town hall meeting is not different from the rallies being done so far. This guys just want us to go for election without us having something concrete to hold them to. Its so unfortunate.

Have we not seen even governorship debates before in various state. Politics is about our choice based on superior ideas. Now after the so called town hall meeting held today, have the media been able to report any meaningful thing?

Nigerians must break out of this spell. something is not just right. How can we be so weak when it comes to APC

God have mercy.

Exactly! God bless people like you. I'm amazed at how people support whatever a particular party does just because they want to vote for the candidate of that party. Let's flip this for a while. Let's assume it's PDP shunning debates and deciding to hold town hall meetings instead. What would the APC say? You think they'd clap for PDP. You just said the truth. A townhall meeting is just like another rally. It would be attended by supporters of that party alone, the people would simply be mobilised by the party chieftains. Neutrals and opposition supporters would not even be attracted to see it on TV. I expected APC to call their own debate and let's see if PDP would reject or not. If you've said GEJ is clueless, then show the world how clueless he is by thrashing his ideas and policies in a debate.

3 Likes

Re: Buhari Begins Town Hall Meetings by publisher(m): 9:52pm On Feb 02, 2015
barcanista:
Sure bro, I have seen and very impressive.
I know you are totally disappointed in Buhari's refusal to debate.
Many of his intellectual supporters are, and this move may totally backfire on GMB's momentum.

This is no strategy, it's a very false sense of over-confidence.

7 Likes

Re: Buhari Begins Town Hall Meetings by raumdeuter: 9:53pm On Feb 02, 2015
Marvin67:

Exactly! God bless people like you. I'm amazed at how people support whatever a particular party does just because they want to vote for the candidate of that party. Let's flip this for a while. Let's assume it's PDP shunning debates and deciding to hold town hall meetings instead. What would the APC say? You think they'd clap for PDP. You just said the truth. A townhall meeting is just like another rally. It would be attended by supporters of that party alone, the people would simply be mobilised by the party chieftains. Neutrals and opposition supporters would not even be attracted to see it on TV. I expected APC to call their own debate and let's see if PDP would reject or not. If you've said GEJ is clueless, then show the world how clueless he is by thrashing his ideas and policies in a debate.

When Jonathan shunned debates in 2011 did it stop you and all his followers from voting for him?

1 Like

Re: Buhari Begins Town Hall Meetings by cooljude(m): 9:53pm On Feb 02, 2015
It is irritating to see how so many Buhari supporters reason. Illitracy is still a big disease in Nigeria.

4 Likes

Re: Buhari Begins Town Hall Meetings by chibas: 9:57pm On Feb 02, 2015
CriticalThought:

You people are funny, interact with who?. A town hall meeting will only ensure he can talk to a small segment of people(who most likely are APC supporters already). There are 170m Nigerians, should they not get a chance to see both candidates speak and grilled on national TV.
i think the town hall meeting organised by APC is far better than the question and answer session u called debate,because not everybody understand english that they used in the question and answer session yesterday sunday as i believe local language will be use in the town hall interactive session which i believe to be more effective.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Begins Town Hall Meetings by Nobody: 9:59pm On Feb 02, 2015
raumdeuter:
Excellent thinking. This is why I chose APC. Sensible thinking. Whats the purpose of a debate where they just repeat the same thing and argue among themselves

Let them go and meet the people they would govern who would ask them UNEDITED questions that concerns them not moderated questions by the media

I would suggest they split Osibanjo and Buhari so they can cover more locations in the next 10 days

Lagos, Ibadan, Akure(SouthWest), Benin, Port Harcourt, Warri(SouthSouth) Enugu, Onitsha, Owerri(SouthEast), Jos, Minna, Makurdi(NorthCentral)

2 or 3 Cities in each region
I hope you would be okay with the either the Republican or Democrat nominee skipping the general election presidential debate next year.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Begins Town Hall Meetings by Spray(m): 10:02pm On Feb 02, 2015
Truth24:
Where he can easily fool d illiterates like him
smh
what is this son of drug peddler saying?
Re: Buhari Begins Town Hall Meetings by lacasa: 10:02pm On Feb 02, 2015
Noviolence2015:

Empty noise makers of a party. What is word? APC projecting tinubu' puppets to Nigerians.

Buhari has sold his soul to the same people he says he is coming in to fight...

Talk is cheap .

Ok, I've noticed you for 2seconds undecided

Now, kindly fade..
Re: Buhari Begins Town Hall Meetings by zanga420: 10:03pm On Feb 02, 2015
ikp4succes:

Majority of Nigerians are illiterate, this is where the votes will come from. if you think an average Nigeria cares about distributive policies of the government(Foreign policy, all the projects that you can't see) you wrong.. what an average Nigerian want is Light, good roads, welfare system.. if Jonathan has done one of this things, even i myself would vote for him, regardless of boko haram...plus not everybody have TV to watch the debate, or light to watch the debate..
why not allow the illitrates to run the country. Educating n enlightening the so called illitrates is what is development, not when they shout hooo! Hooo! And make troubles. We talk of advancing n u're bringing retrogressive mindset more.
Re: Buhari Begins Town Hall Meetings by Marvin67: 10:04pm On Feb 02, 2015
raumdeuter:

When Jonathan shunned debates in 2011 did it stop you and all his followers from voting for him?

Nd what makes you think I voted for GEJ in 2011. In 2011, most people voted blindly (based on emotions). In 2015, most people would also vote based on emotions (another blind selection of leaders).

A debate is not compulsory but necessary so that we can compare the ideas of both men especially now that both parties are throwing allegations around. Again I say, if you say GEJ is clueless, then you should be proud to tarnish his policies and shame him right before his own face.

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Begins Town Hall Meetings by aresa: 10:04pm On Feb 02, 2015
publisher:

I know you are totally disappointed in Buhari's refusal to debate.
Many of his intellectual supporters are, and this move may totally backfire on GMB's momentum.

This is no strategy, it's a very false sense of over-confidence.

Coming from a gej apologist.... We don't care about your feelings getting hurt because of debates, its up to the electorates to decide so meet us at the polls with your PVCs. . Adults crying all over the place because of debates is getting more and more pathetic..
Re: Buhari Begins Town Hall Meetings by Missy89(f): 10:04pm On Feb 02, 2015
Confuciusng:

Town hall meetings are ok but it can never be substituted for debates in the developed countries.

So when did Nigeria become a developed country?

The margin of voters that can be swayed with public debates in Nigeria is still very low because they are not ideological voters. They consider power, ethnic and religious affiliations.

Most voters already know who they are voting for no matter what happens between the next 12 days and the margin of undecided voters are are too low to sway the result of the elections. If APC can get the stakeholders of each region to attend their town hall meetings and deliver a coherent plan, The fallout from not attending the debate will be mitigated and wont affect the final result of the elections.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari Begins Town Hall Meetings by chibas: 10:04pm On Feb 02, 2015
thunder74:
Buhari will not debate simple. I have said it here several times, he has a lot to cover up. You would have noticed that he reads prepared speach these days and cant be allowed to consult his image consultants before answering any live debate questions.
This town hall meeting was an afterthought because the first excuse given was that there was possibility of baise from the organiser. When a more independent bodies agreed to organise the debate, see another maradona excuse. Like I earlier said, it will be too late before many of you screaming change realise that you have entered one chance.
please why do u guys hype this question and answer session as debate?mind u this man in question has been there in the previous year.
Re: Buhari Begins Town Hall Meetings by Nobody: 10:05pm On Feb 02, 2015
Descartes:
Pa Ilugunboy, what's your problem?

Smelly Villager....when would you get sense ?
Re: Buhari Begins Town Hall Meetings by Gondonu: 10:05pm On Feb 02, 2015
Nigeria will be making a big mistake if MB is elected as president.Something is terribly wrong with this APC of a party.Debate is more important than other sideway strategies as most audience can be reach via the TV or radio within a short time which is effective in all respect.This is a technologically driven world where your ideas & implimentation can be well scrutinized.A government that is not answerable to the electorate has no business in governance.

3 Likes

Re: Buhari Begins Town Hall Meetings by aresa: 10:06pm On Feb 02, 2015
Missy89:

So when did Nigeria become a develop country?

The margin of voters that can be swayed with public debates in Nigeria is still very low because they are not ideological voters. They consider power, ethnic and religious affiliations.

Most voters already know who they are voting for no matter what happens between the next 12 days and the margin of undecided voters are are too low to sway the result of the elections. If APC can get the stakeholders of each region to attend their town hall meetings and deliver a coherent plan, The fallout from not attending the debate will be mitigated and wont affect the final result of the elections.

Well said....
Re: Buhari Begins Town Hall Meetings by Nobody: 10:06pm On Feb 02, 2015
Town hall meeting are by far better than debates. This new thinking is a plus for APC.
Re: Buhari Begins Town Hall Meetings by raumdeuter: 10:08pm On Feb 02, 2015
CFCfan:

I hope you would be okay with the either the Republican or Democrat nominee skipping the general election presidential debate next year.

In the US neutral organisation do these debates

Have you seen Foxnews claiming to organise debates or MSNBC

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Yemi Osinbajo And Late FRA Williams / NASS Debates, Passes 2016 Budget Today / ISWAP Attacks Nigerian Army University, Biu. Kills Two Employees (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.