Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,296 members, 7,811,887 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:18 PM

Sahara Reporters: Saraki Is Not Even Nigerian - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Sahara Reporters: Saraki Is Not Even Nigerian (81491 Views)

I Will Collect My N4Billion From Sahara Reporters – Saraki / Saraki Is A Threat To APC, Democracy - Adamawa Lawmaker, Alhassan Urmar / Even Nigerian Police Officers Can't Spell Correctly (SEE PHOTO) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sahara Reporters: Saraki Is Not Even Nigerian by jaybee3(m): 7:25pm On Jun 28, 2015
CFCfan:
Saraki is still a Nigerian citizen by birth. The fact that he is a naturalized British citizen does not negate his Nigerian citizenship by birth, according to section 66 of the 1999 constitution.
Therefore, he is qualified to hold public office in Nigeria
How can he be a Nigerian citizen by birth if he was born in London?

1 Like

Re: Sahara Reporters: Saraki Is Not Even Nigerian by wachakuta(m): 7:25pm On Jun 28, 2015
hennesseykrane:
white hawkers!!! N jon sow is dead. So who save d north
The boy with d 3 eyed Crow...
Re: Sahara Reporters: Saraki Is Not Even Nigerian by adora4u1: 7:26pm On Jun 28, 2015
Joysmart:
If he's not Nigeria fine let him resign so that Ekweremadu will become the Senate president cheesy undecided

Ah! Abeg o! That would be catastrophic! Thinking of it would kill Tinubu!
Re: Sahara Reporters: Saraki Is Not Even Nigerian by namelesss: 7:27pm On Jun 28, 2015
He has fulfilled one of the dream of a typical Yoruba man.... ie bn a citizen of the British
Re: Sahara Reporters: Saraki Is Not Even Nigerian by 989900: 7:27pm On Jun 28, 2015
This was all I could find (posted earlier by some Niaralanders).

Section 28 (1):
subject to other provisions of this section, a person shall forfeit forthwith his citizenship if, not being a citizen of Nigeria by birth, he acquires or retains the citizenship of or nationality of a country, other that Nigeria, of which he is not a citizen by birth.

Section 66 (1) No person shall be qualified for election to the Senate or the House of Representatives if-
a) subject to section 28 of this Constitution he has voluntarily acquired the citizenship of a country other than Nigeria or, except in such cases as may be prescribed by the National Assembly, has made a declaration of allegiance to such a country;

Thes case of Dual Citizenship and the right to contest for a political office in Nigeria is already settled in the law suit filed (SUIT NO. FHC/ABJ/CS/28/07) at Federal High Court in 2007 between:

PROF. ISA ODIDI, HON. OLUWAFOLAJIMI AKEEM BELLO (NEW DEMOCRATS PARTY)……PLAINTIFFS

VS

INDEPENDENT NATIONAL ELECTORAL COMMISSION (INEC)
PROFESSOR MAURICE IWU (CHAIRMAN INDEPENDENT NATIONAL ELECTORAL COMMISSION)……DEFENDANTS

Bottom line, if you are a citizen of Nigeria by birth, the law of the land allows you to hold dual citizenship, and your dual citizenship does not disqualify you from contesting for any political office in Nigeria. However, if you are a naturalized citizen of Nigeria and hold dual citizenship with other country, you are not allowed to contest for any political office in Nigeria. I hope this answer your question.

See the verdict render by appeal court and federal high court below.

http://www.nigerianmuse.com/important_documents/?u=Odidi_Bello_Dual_Citizenship_Judgement.htm

In the case of Ogbeide vs Osula [2004] 12 NWLR part 886 page 86 at 138

Adeniji (JCA) Justice Court of Appeal delivering lead Judge held as follows

at page 127.

B. Section 29 deals with the issue of renunciation of a persons Nigerian

citizenship while Section 25 deals with categories of Nigerian

citizens. In other words, a person who is a citizen of Nigeria by birth

cannot have such citizenship forfeited or become ineligible to

C. contest such elections under any circumstances even where Section

65(1) is read with Section 1 37, a person who is not a citizen of

Nigeria can he so registered, but where he is not a citizen of that other

country by birth, his registration will be conditioned on the

renunciation of his citizenship of that other country. In other words,

renunciation of

D. citizenship does not apply to a citizen of this country by birth.

The tribunal however held on page 121 paragraph 2 of the record that

a Nigerian citizenship by his acquisition as the citizenship of another

country, he would stand disqualified from being a member of the

E. National Assembly if he holds such dual citizenship or has subscribed

to an oath of allegiance to any other country. That I must say with

due respect, is not contained in the Section under scrutiny. What one

can make of that Section read with Sections 25, 26 and 27 of the 1999

Constitution is that a citizen of this country by birth never loses his

citizenship even where he holds dual citizenship of another country

and cannot be disqualified from contesting election into the House of

Representative for reasons only that he holds such dual citizenship.

Section 137 provides for instance of disqualification while section 28 deals

principally with the question of dual citizenship. By the decision of His

Lordship Adeniji (JCA) Justice Court of Appeal page 127, "a person who is

a citizen of Nigeria by birth cannot have such citizenship forfeited or

became ineligible to contest election under any circumstance even where

Section 65(1) in the present case Section 28 is read together with section 137

of 1999 Constitution.

The above case is in all fours with the present suit and by the doctrine of

stare decises I am bound by the decision of the appellate Court. I adopt

same as mine and hold that the 1999 Constitution of Federal Republic of

Nigeria recognizes dual citizenship and same cannot be a hare for Plaintiffs

to contest election especially when they are Nigerians by birth. I so hold.

Accordingly reliefs 1, 2, 3 and 5 are granted, while relief 4 is refused.

I don't know what happens with politicians with foreign birth and Nigerian parents.

In this case Ajumobi was cleared.

P.S. I think Saraki gets cleared too, à la citizenship by birth to Nigerian parents.

3 Likes

Re: Sahara Reporters: Saraki Is Not Even Nigerian by jaybee3(m): 7:27pm On Jun 28, 2015
CFCfan:

Sir, according to section 25 of the constitution a Nigerian kid born outside Nigeria by, at least, one Nigeria parent is a Nigerian citizen by birth.
So Sen Saraki is a Nigerian citizen by birth.
A Nigerian citizen AT birth is different from a Nigerian citizen by birth
Re: Sahara Reporters: Saraki Is Not Even Nigerian by Nobody: 7:30pm On Jun 28, 2015
jaybee3:

How can he be a Nigerian citizen by birth if he was born in London?

Section 25(1)
The following persons are citizens of Nigeria by birth-namely-

(a) every person born in Nigeria before the date of independence, either of whose parents or any of whose grandparents belongs or belonged to a community indigenous to Nigeria; Provided that a person shall not become a citizen of Nigeria by virtue of this section if neither of his parents nor any of his grandparents was born in Nigeria.

(b) every person born in Nigeria after the date of independence either of whose parents or any of whose grandparents is a citizen of Nigeria; and
(c) every person born outside Nigeria either of whose parents is a citizen of Nigeria.

5 Likes

Re: Sahara Reporters: Saraki Is Not Even Nigerian by osimataylor(m): 7:31pm On Jun 28, 2015
doctokwus:
He is playing dirty so he should expect dirt thrown back at him.The day is just dawning on Saraki, soon court cases and allegations will soon start flying.
He is now in d kitchen, so he should be ready for the heat.
Just about playing out what they did to GEJ gov.They have started playing dirty .When Saraki supporters will follow suit they will coin hate this or that to it.APC is made up of liars,blackmailers and propagandist . during d last e

1 Like

Re: Sahara Reporters: Saraki Is Not Even Nigerian by mafioso47(m): 7:32pm On Jun 28, 2015
citizenisb:
A lot of times we try to project the image of the benign, peace loving drunk from Otueke to cover up the complete rot his administration represented. It is just a repeat of history as most of us know that Shagari is a good man but his administration was very corrupt.

I stay in Abuja and I know that the corruption under the GEJ administration was monumental and the enormous revenue accrued to the government was wasted even much more than Abacha, Babangida and Obasanjo combined. Why are we so wicked to keep on defending his administration.

Buhari has a lot of personal flaws but if we can remember this election was a referendum on GEJ not necessarily about Buhari in the swing states of the South West and North Central.

Whether he appoints Ministers this night or next year it is a huge relief from the madness we just went through for six years.

It will take a lot for us to recover with the depleted external reserves, crash of crude prices, a possible Greek default, reduction in summer travel and GDP/ Oil use due to terrorism fears, a huge slowdown in China, 30 million barrels of stored Iranian crude about to hit the market with the removal of sanctions and two possible interest rate hikes by the US Federal Reserve.

We are in interesting times no matter who is at the helm and the earlier we all hunker down and pray to weather the storm without terrible social unrest that will come with job losses, subsidy removal, Naira devaluation and corresponding hyperinflation adding to the Boko Haram insurgency decimating the North East and the bankruptcy of the states.

Let me give you a brief example; Buhari told the governors to negotiate longer loan tenors with the banks up to 20 years to reduce the strain and inability to pay salaries, do you know how that will affect bank profits and systemic liquidity. What will happen to their Oil and Gas loans if oil prices dip further.

May God help this country but please it is sheer wickedness to bring up the previous administrations records. In other climes they would have been shot by now.
you can make your point without bringing GEJ into this. No body is defending his administration. Besides Change is here. We have progressives like Saraki on the controls. All Hail Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Sahara Reporters: Saraki Is Not Even Nigerian by siju2015: 7:32pm On Jun 28, 2015
You need to grow up and learn fast. You can be a citizen of a country by birth,naturalization etc. Is saraki an english name and even if it is,he has the citizenship certificate already so what's the point.Havn't you heard of nigerian citizen that were part of uk govt admninstration. Is obama not from kenya still an american president. You need to work had to acquire such profiles. Guy you still have a longway to go so my advice for you is that, you need to reason well before posting your views on this site get that straight to your head.peace.

1 Like

Re: Sahara Reporters: Saraki Is Not Even Nigerian by smartleo(m): 7:33pm On Jun 28, 2015
Maxymilliano:
So after 8 years as Kwara State governor, and over 4 years as a Senator, Sahara Reporters just discovered that Saraki hold dual citizenship ?

Destructive journalism at its beat ...
Please guy or girl or whatever you are ,which one is destructive criticism in this descovery now,if he likes he spends 20years as Kwara state governor ,and holds whatever political position,what has that to do with a the truth about his dual citizenship,let him come out and defend himself and until it proves otherwise,this report is true as far as I'm concern.stop all this rubbish campaign for some over ambitious yeye politician.

3 Likes

Re: Sahara Reporters: Saraki Is Not Even Nigerian by DobraDobra: 7:33pm On Jun 28, 2015
This is not british passport, its not a clever job at all jst too fake
Re: Sahara Reporters: Saraki Is Not Even Nigerian by Nobody: 7:36pm On Jun 28, 2015
edoyad:

But just because the previous administration was reckless with our democracy and we opted for change doesn't give the man the mandate to return us to a Military style of Govt. Have you ever fallen into a situation with the Nigerian Army before ? What gives him the power to decide that the presidential villa, one of our foremost symbols of democracy should be shielded by his band of Zombies rather than the constitutionally assingned sentinels ? What is so difficult in assembling a cabinet ?
Tomorrow we will hear of Nigerians being locked up in Military barracks because he doesn't trust our police system. We will start to get decrees instead of bills because legislators are corrupt.
Better we fight this from the start before it is too late.

The problem, we have in this country is truth and hypocrites.

Nice insight...Thumbs up.
Re: Sahara Reporters: Saraki Is Not Even Nigerian by Nobody: 7:39pm On Jun 28, 2015
Saharareporters are bunch of thieves. Its now obvious they are sponsored by Tinubu. They should get over it. Saraki will remain senate president for 8years or more
Re: Sahara Reporters: Saraki Is Not Even Nigerian by Correctman0606: 7:39pm On Jun 28, 2015
citizenisb:
A lot of times we try to project the image of the benign, peace loving drunk from Otueke to cover up the complete rot his administration represented. It is just a repeat of history as most of us know that Shagari is a good man but his administration was very corrupt.

I stay in Abuja and I know that the corruption under the GEJ administration was monumental and the enormous revenue accrued to the government was wasted even much more than Abacha, Babangida and Obasanjo combined. Why are we so wicked to keep on defending his administration.

Buhari has a lot of personal flaws but if we can remember this election was a referendum on GEJ not necessarily about Buhari in the swing states of the South West and North Central.

Whether he appoints Ministers this night or next year it is a huge relief from the madness we just went through for six years.

It will take a lot for us to recover with the depleted external reserves, crash of crude prices, a possible Greek default, reduction in summer travel and GDP/ Oil use due to terrorism fears, a huge slowdown in China, 30 million barrels of stored Iranian crude about to hit the market with the removal of sanctions and two possible interest rate hikes by the US Federal Reserve.

We are in interesting times no matter who is at the helm and the earlier we all hunker down and pray to weather the storm without terrible social unrest that will come with job losses, subsidy removal, Naira devaluation and corresponding hyperinflation adding to the Boko Haram insurgency decimating the North East and the bankruptcy of the states.

Let me give you a brief example; Buhari told the governors to negotiate longer loan tenors with the banks up to 20 years to reduce the strain and inability to pay salaries, do you know how that will affect bank profits and systemic liquidity. What will happen to their Oil and Gas loans if oil prices dip further.

May God help this country but please it is sheer wickedness to bring up the previous administrations records. In other climes they would have been shot by now.
Barbarian
Re: Sahara Reporters: Saraki Is Not Even Nigerian by HRich(m): 7:41pm On Jun 28, 2015
wachakuta:
His from Niger
When he was ordinary and ordinary APC senator, he was a Nigerian. And now that he has become a Senate President out of APC wish he's no longer a Nigerian. SarahaReporters are confuse. APC are now looking for people's personal details, yet when PDP was looking for Buhari's CV everyone of them was insulting him. For all i know and care. Saraki is a Nigerian.

2 Likes

Re: Sahara Reporters: Saraki Is Not Even Nigerian by modhream: 7:41pm On Jun 28, 2015
adebisicutie:

The Constitution does not allow one to hold a political office with dual citizenship however I expect he is smart enough to have officially renounced his British critizenship as you are allowed to do that. If not he is in yawa
Which Constitution are you quoting?.Your piece of akara paper?.The Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria,1999 as amended allows anyone with multi-citizenship to hold political office in so far as he or she is a citizen by birth.Citizenship by birth being defined as having a Nigerian parent at birth regardless of place of birth or being born in Nigeria and having only one grandparent who is a Nigerian.See Section 25(1)a,b,c

3 Likes

Re: Sahara Reporters: Saraki Is Not Even Nigerian by Nobody: 7:43pm On Jun 28, 2015
We don't even care[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font]
Re: Sahara Reporters: Saraki Is Not Even Nigerian by akatonero(m): 7:43pm On Jun 28, 2015
APC pay Sahara reporters the agreed balance before the election but u dnt tell us ur president if from Chad not also a nigerian
Re: Sahara Reporters: Saraki Is Not Even Nigerian by AreaFada2: 7:45pm On Jun 28, 2015
Hmmmm
Re: Sahara Reporters: Saraki Is Not Even Nigerian by atospet(m): 7:46pm On Jun 28, 2015
Sunofgod:
Saraki is a British-Hausa/Yoruba Man,
He doesn't even understand hausa. He's completely yoruba.. Kwarans are 90% Yorubas but for political reasons we affiliate ourselves with the Northerners.

3 Likes

Re: Sahara Reporters: Saraki Is Not Even Nigerian by wachakuta(m): 7:47pm On Jun 28, 2015
HRich:
When he was ordinary and ordinary APC senator, he was a Nigerian. And now that he has become a Senate President out of APC wish he's no longer a Nigerian. SarahaReporters are confuse. APC are now looking for people's personal details, yet when PDP was looking for Buhari's CV everyone of them was insulting him. For all i know and care. Saraki is a Nigerian.

Oyah where is ur proof?
Re: Sahara Reporters: Saraki Is Not Even Nigerian by HRich(m): 7:47pm On Jun 28, 2015
citizenisb:

One luck that shines on you now is that you copied this nonsense and didnt write it on your own.

3 Likes

Re: Sahara Reporters: Saraki Is Not Even Nigerian by Nobody: 7:49pm On Jun 28, 2015
65. (1) Subject to the provisions of section 66 of this Constitution, a person shall be qualified for election as a member of:
(a) the Senate, if he is a citizen of Nigeria and has attained the age of 35 years; and

(b) the House of Representatives, if he is a citizen of Nigeria and has attained the age of 30 years;

(2) A person shall be qualified for election under subsection (1) of this section if:

(a) he has been educated up to at least School Certificate level or its equivalent; and

(b) he is a member of a political party and is sponsored by that party.

66. (1) No person shall be qualified for election to the Senate or the House of Representatives if:

(a) subject to the provisions of section 28 of this Constitution, he has voluntarily acquired the citizenship of a country other than Nigeria or, except in such cases as may be prescribed by the National Assembly, has made a declaration of allegiance to such a country;

When S.65 is read in conjunction with S.28 CFRN '99 it becomes apparent that Bukola Saraki could not have validly contested election into The Senate! This is not about The Conduct of The Election but whether he could have contested in the first place. By U.A.C. v. McFoy you cannot put something on nothing.

Sad that the Nigerian DSS who knew this all along stood by and did nothing! It would be alarming if it slipped by the DSS who, these days are not worthy of the F2000 they carry! Oh, what a country!! There was indeed a country!!!
Re: Sahara Reporters: Saraki Is Not Even Nigerian by Nobody: 7:52pm On Jun 28, 2015
edoyad:

But just because the previous administration was reckless with our democracy and we opted for change doesn't give the man the mandate to return us to a Military style of Govt. Have you ever fallen into a situation with the Nigerian Army before ? What gives him the power to decide that the presidential villa, one of our foremost symbols of democracy should be shielded by his band of Zombies rather than the constitutionally assingned sentinels ? What is so difficult in assembling a cabinet ?
Tomorrow we will hear of Nigerians being locked up in Military barracks because he doesn't trust our police system. We will start to get decrees instead of bills because legislators are corrupt.
Better we fight this from the start before it is too late.

What is this one saying, SSS/DSS is a creation of the military I.e IBB, what makes them a symbol of democracy then? As commander in chief of the armed forces and a retired General, Pmb has every right to want to be guarded by Soldiers, let DSS be what they should be, spy agency

1 Like

Re: Sahara Reporters: Saraki Is Not Even Nigerian by Esperooke(m): 7:53pm On Jun 28, 2015
Saraki has since the days of his progenitor been playing the Maradona in kwara state. Taking the Kwarans for a ride. Now that he has taken it to a bigger level, I am sure it's going to be a different challenge altogether. By the way, he deserves whatever he gets. Hnmmm!..... Wetin concern me sef, awon Ole! There is God Sha.
Re: Sahara Reporters: Saraki Is Not Even Nigerian by janvier27(m): 7:53pm On Jun 28, 2015
Hmmmm. Sofily sofily catches monkey. Act 1 Scene 2.
Re: Sahara Reporters: Saraki Is Not Even Nigerian by Sibrah: 7:57pm On Jun 28, 2015
samueld0:
This is a confirmation that Tinubu owns Sahara reporters.
They can finish someone politicaly

Gej was a victim and example

Saraki be ready for social media warfare with Sahara reporters
An Ijaw man actually owns SaharaReporters.
Re: Sahara Reporters: Saraki Is Not Even Nigerian by Nobody: 7:58pm On Jun 28, 2015
modhream:

Which Constitution are you quoting?.Your piece of akara paper?.The Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria,1999 as amended allows anyone with multi-citizenship to hold political office in so far as he or she is a citizen by birth.Citizenship by birth being defined as having a Nigerian parent at birth regardless of place of birth or being born in Nigeria and having only one grandparent who is a Nigerian.See Section 25(1)a,b,c

Friend, S.25(1)a,b,c, is qualified by S.28.1. When read together and subjected to rules of interpretation it should be apparent to a discerning mind that Saraki, if he still keeps his British passport, and not having been born in Nigeria IS NOT A NIGERIAN by the provisions of the Constitution and it matters not what you think! Kudos to the SR for good investigative journalism and thumbs down for Nigerian journalists whose industry is suspect enough for this to have slipped by right under their noses!

1 Like

Re: Sahara Reporters: Saraki Is Not Even Nigerian by dmitroika(m): 7:58pm On Jun 28, 2015
citizenisb:

I don't know who you are, but I will find you, and I will shake you!
Thumbs up.
Re: Sahara Reporters: Saraki Is Not Even Nigerian by FUTYGUY(m): 8:00pm On Jun 28, 2015
OLYBUKOLA SARAKI and not BUKOLA SARAKI. Hmm APC, Nigeria is in for a big mess. God help us for this four years under this government.
Re: Sahara Reporters: Saraki Is Not Even Nigerian by bams2999(m): 8:02pm On Jun 28, 2015
wowoowo, this so great let our Lawan take go

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Photo : GMB Inspecting The Train For New Nigeria / Two Boys Killed During Kogi Governorship Election In Lokoja (Graphic Photos) / COVID-19: Abiola Ajimobi Is Dead - Sulaiman Aledeh Says

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.