Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,559 members, 7,816,353 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:03 AM

Annual Report Of 1914: Palm Oil Highest Revenue Earner - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Annual Report Of 1914: Palm Oil Highest Revenue Earner (44440 Views)

The Colonial Flag Of Nigeria Between 1914-1960 (Photo) / 1931 Population Figures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups- Colonial Annual Report 1933. / Annual Report Of Nigeria 1914: Palm Oil Highest Revenue Earner, See Others (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Annual Report Of 1914: Palm Oil Highest Revenue Earner by mrvitalis(m): 8:42pm On Sep 09, 2016
Niger Delta now produce more oil than the south East?? Make una take am easy with una lies abeg

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Annual Report Of 1914: Palm Oil Highest Revenue Earner by APCHaram: 8:42pm On Sep 09, 2016
Hagm0nd:
The cocoa output for that year was much higher than what is written due to the fact that huge quantities hadn't been exported yet

Lol. This is weak.

How many tons where left unexported ?

Yeye

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Annual Report Of 1914: Palm Oil Highest Revenue Earner by Nobody: 8:43pm On Sep 09, 2016
EternalTruths:

What is this one saying.? undecided
if you are blind see an oculist,if you mentally handicapped see a psychiatrist

7 Likes

Re: Annual Report Of 1914: Palm Oil Highest Revenue Earner by APCHaram: 8:43pm On Sep 09, 2016
mrvitalis:
Niger Delta now produce more oil than the south East?? Make una take am easy with una lies abeg

Sorry no vex. I will change the title to Eastern Nigeria.

12 Likes

Re: Annual Report Of 1914: Palm Oil Highest Revenue Earner by EternalTruths: 8:44pm On Sep 09, 2016
mrvitalis:

Are Imo and Abia not part of Nigerdelta.?

Divide and rule won't work again cool

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Annual Report Of 1914: Palm Oil Highest Revenue Earner by APCHaram: 8:45pm On Sep 09, 2016
Hagm0nd:

Stop derailing.
Re: Annual Report Of 1914: Palm Oil Highest Revenue Earner by EternalTruths: 8:46pm On Sep 09, 2016
Hagm0nd:

He pain am grin

We fed you guys with our palm oil.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Annual Report Of 1914: Palm Oil Highest Revenue Earner by Nobody: 8:46pm On Sep 09, 2016
APCHaram:

Lol. This is weak.

How many tons where left unexported ?

Yeye
it was from the same document you posted, it was said that due to cocoa price slump,many farmers refused to sell their produces during the period of documentation.
Is the south south region the only region that produces palm oil.
I challenge you to post pictures of any map where some part of western region doesn't cultivate oil palm.
If not use your brain and stop quoting me.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Annual Report Of 1914: Palm Oil Highest Revenue Earner by trapQ: 8:52pm On Sep 09, 2016
Niger Delta was more correct.
APCHaram:

Sorry no vex. I will change the title to Eastern Nigeria.
Re: Annual Report Of 1914: Palm Oil Highest Revenue Earner by aribisala0(m): 8:59pm On Sep 09, 2016
You are like a kid with a new toy. Those with half education are worse than those with no education. Colonial reports were produced annually from the 1890s and have been debated severally on Nairaland
https://www.nairaland.com/2306559/non-indigenes-lagos-must-respect-hosts/12

Palm oil was produced across the entire south not just the delta
in the 1890s the average export from Lagos Colony and the SW was about £900000

So you are just waking up to colonial reports? Good Morning!! but we have debated them several times on Nairaland you are the one that needs to catch up

You have not told us anything new

35 Likes

Re: Annual Report Of 1914: Palm Oil Highest Revenue Earner by aribisala0(m): 9:04pm On Sep 09, 2016
Colony of Lagos report
http://libsysdigi.library.illinois.edu/ilharvest/Africana/Books2011-05/3064634/3064634_1898_lagos/3064634_1898_lagos_opt.pdf
This shows you where Laagos was in the 1890s

There was a telephone link to England
There were street lights
There was a train

This was before 1914 amalgamation

Where was the Delta then ?

What did they have ?

This shows you that Lagos developed well before the so called OYEL money

These reports are all online

I think you will regret starting this

35 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Annual Report Of 1914: Palm Oil Highest Revenue Earner by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 9:05pm On Sep 09, 2016
trapQ:
Receive sense. Nobody said so but the quantity of palm oil produced in the South South far exceeds that of other regions combined.

Even your map betrays you. Maybe you dont know map reading. Let me school you. The areas marked green are oil palm producing areas and in those areas you can clearly see that delta and Benin has more palm trees meaning they are the largest produces of oil palm.

Those tree like things you saw are for rubber, not oil palm
Infact, the map covers South East mostly

3 Likes

Re: Annual Report Of 1914: Palm Oil Highest Revenue Earner by 989900: 9:05pm On Sep 09, 2016
APCHaram:

That is not the reason I made this thread.

I just wanted to highlight that over 100yrs ago the Niger Delta has been feeding you.

LoL, we all have our different takeaways, that was mine, others will give theirs, you can air yours too.

If you are expecting me to dance along with your train of thought and form an informed opinion in support of your take 'cause of a 1 year inadequate report in over 50 years before crude became major, it won't happen -- you could as well provide same data from 1914 to 1970 to drive your point home, if it checks; we learn.

Cocoa's dominance as the country's major Forex earner didn't happen until the 40s till the early 70s.

BTW, asides from Ondo (my state of Origin which is part of the ND), my roots cut across Ekiti, Edo, and Delta ; say something else.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Annual Report Of 1914: Palm Oil Highest Revenue Earner by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 9:06pm On Sep 09, 2016
Igboland contributed most of the oil palm

21 Likes

Re: Annual Report Of 1914: Palm Oil Highest Revenue Earner by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 9:07pm On Sep 09, 2016
aribisala0:
You are like a kid with a new toy. Those with half education are worse than those with no education. Colonial reports were produced annually from the 1890s and have been debated severally on Nairaland

So you are just waking up to colonial reports? Good Morning!! but we have debated them several times on Nairaland you are the one that needs to catch up

SW contributed only a small quantity of palm oil.

20 Likes

Re: Annual Report Of 1914: Palm Oil Highest Revenue Earner by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 9:09pm On Sep 09, 2016
EternalTruths:

Are Imo and Abia not part of Nigerdelta.?

Divide and rule won't work again cool
I can see the title of the thread is changed, cos Anambra and Enugu, ebonyi are not in the ND

2 Likes

Re: Annual Report Of 1914: Palm Oil Highest Revenue Earner by EternalTruths: 9:09pm On Sep 09, 2016
aribisala0:
Colony of Lagos report
http://libsysdigi.library.illinois.edu/ilharvest/Africana/Books2011-05/3064634/3064634_1898_lagos/3064634_1898_lagos_opt.pdf
This shows you where Laagos was in the 1890s

There was a telephone link to England
There were street lights
There was a train

This was before 1914 amalgamation

Where was the Delta then ?

What did they have ?

This shows you that Lagos developed well before the so called OYEL money

These reports are all online

I think you will regret starting this

So you guys are now claiming to have produced palm oil alongside oil.

Pls tells us the quantity you guys produced and why we never waste our time dragging cocoa with your people even though we produced cocoa

12 Likes

Re: Annual Report Of 1914: Palm Oil Highest Revenue Earner by EternalTruths: 9:11pm On Sep 09, 2016
InyinyaAgbaOku:

SE contributed little quantity of cocoa but we don't brag

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Annual Report Of 1914: Palm Oil Highest Revenue Earner by VulgarVulvas: 9:12pm On Sep 09, 2016
aribisala0:

Mr. Man stop spewing trash.

Why is the SW celebrating cocoa instead of oil palm?

I have looked into the Report of 1911 (check page 16) and you will see an average earnings for the past 5yrs up starting from 1907 to 1911 and Nigeria earned an average of just €85,000 from cocoa. See it for yourself.

So how come You made €900,000 from palm export and we only hear you guys beating your flat chest about cocoa?

Stop your lies Abeg !

Can you point to Palm Oil house in Ibadan ?

You can lie for satan I swear!

And finally cocoa was also farmed in present day Delta state (my state ), Akwa Ibom, Rivers and also Calabar.

So if we go by your own logic then Niger Delta made half of that paltry 5yr average earnings of €85,000.

You people should stop giving Yorubas a bad name with your jealousy, envy and outright lies.

37 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Annual Report Of 1914: Palm Oil Highest Revenue Earner by aribisala0(m): 9:13pm On Sep 09, 2016
http://libsysdigi.library.illinois.edu/ilharvest/Africana/Books2011-05/3064634/3064634_1899_1900_southern_nigeria/3064634_1899_1900_southern_nigeria_opt.pdf

This is a report for "southern Nigeria" 1899-

"Southern Nigeria" before amalgamation was the old Eastern Region and Colony of Lagos was the old Western Region.

Go to page 8 of the link and see how much Palm oil the Eastern Region was selling

Stop deceiving yourselves

9 Likes

Re: Annual Report Of 1914: Palm Oil Highest Revenue Earner by VulgarVulvas: 9:19pm On Sep 09, 2016
aribisala0:
http://libsysdigi.library.illinois.edu/ilharvest/Africana/Books2011-05/3064634/3064634_1899_1900_southern_nigeria/3064634_1899_1900_southern_nigeria_opt.pdf

This is a report for "southern Nigeria" 1899-

"Southern Nigeria" before amalgamation was the old Eastern Region and Colony of Lagos was the old Western Region.

Go to page 8 of the link and see how much Palm oil the Eastern Region was selling

Stop deceiving yourselves

[size=18pt]Mr. man what I want to know is that if Western Region contributed to half of Palm Oil proceeds as your claim which amounted to about €900,000 for the year 1914 but only a paltry €150k from cocoa how come your region never celebrated Palm above cocoa?

Why is there cocoa house in Ibadan and not palm kernel house ?[/size]

I await your lies in response to my question.

42 Likes 1 Share

Re: Annual Report Of 1914: Palm Oil Highest Revenue Earner by afroniger: 9:20pm On Sep 09, 2016
APCHaram:
F

The British colonial govt spent most of what was not repatriated back to Britian to fund the railway project and seaports in the SW and northern region.

Try another lie.

Bro calm down. I asked you to educate me, but instead you are acting like a militant, all belligerent and stuff. Take a chill pill man. You are yet to provide any evidence to prove the assertion you made above, because according to available records, the first railway in Nigeria was opened in 1898 between Lagos and Abeokuta, a distance of 96km (more than a decade before the 1914 figures you presented). As a matter of fact the British government began construction of a railway from Lagos Colony to Ibadan in March 1896. The Lagos Government Railway began operations in March 1901 and was extended to Minna in 1911, where it met the Baro–Kano Railway that was built by the government of Northern Nigeria between 1907 and 1911. The two lines were amalgamated in 1912 into the Government Department of Railways, the predecessor to the Nigerian Railway Corporation. All this happened before the 1914 Amalgamation, when the Northern and Southern Protectorates were separate entities (or de facto countries, if you will). Even the Southern Colony wasn't merged with the Lagos Colony until 1906. Yet, Railways had already been built to Link Lagos with the hinterland of the wider region she falls under.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rail_transport_in_Nigeria

As for the Lagos ports, work began on its expansion way before amalgamation, in 1908 to be precise and ended in 1912 (prior to the amalgamation), excerpted from "Artificial Structures and Shorelines" and attached below.

It's like you are allowing Sanusi's statement to cause you to arouse hatred for other Nigerians in you, be careful bros. Hate is like cancer.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Annual Report Of 1914: Palm Oil Highest Revenue Earner by aribisala0(m): 9:20pm On Sep 09, 2016
VulgarVulvas:

Mr. Man stop spewing trash.

Why is the SW celebrating cocoa instead of oil palm?

I have looked into the Report of 1911 (check page 16) and you will see an average earnings for the past 5yrs up starting from 1907 to 1911 and Nigeria earned an average of just €85,000 from cocoa. See it for yourself.

So how come You made €900,000 from palm export and we only hear you guys beating your flat chest about cocoa?

Stop your lies Abeg !

Can you point to Palm Oil house in Ibadan ?

You can lie for satan I swear!
You are also illiterate I never said palm oil export was 900000. That was the total export. I am writing this not because of you clearly you hive no manners. This is for the others who will come on to this thread

looking at what was written in 1914 it just said "Palm oil" but palm oil exports include palm kernel and the Colony of Lagos Exported £400000 and £460000 in 1897 and 1898 . The 1914 report you showed did not mention palm kernels at all.
Still what was the total value of exports from the eastern region in the comparable period

19 Likes

Re: Annual Report Of 1914: Palm Oil Highest Revenue Earner by Adminisher: 9:21pm On Sep 09, 2016
APCHaram:
The famous Groundnuts generated a total of 154,000 pounds.

Cocoa the same.

The only commodity that neared palm oil from the Niger Delta was Tin mining in Jos which wasn't even up to half of that realised from palm oil.

Can you people now shutup on that silly lie that your cocoa and groundnuts were used to develop the oil industry!

Actually no Nigerian money initially went to develop the oil industry. It was after some mega-sized discoveries that the Joint Ventures started and Nigeria started contributing.

As for someone saying palm oil was feeding Nigeria in 1914. That is wrong please. You were feeding the UK and Royal Niger Company then after which then you started feedng yourselves in the Eastern/ Western region depending on what side of the Niger you were.
Mid West palm oil and rubber money was Western Region money. Rivers and Calabar was Eastern region.
Please stop all the rubbish about Niger Delta feeding anybody. There was very little crash crop cultivation in the real swamps of Niger Delta anyway. They were only logistics providers for large boats and canoeS to transport produce to Brass, Opobo and maybe Bonny

22 Likes

Re: Annual Report Of 1914: Palm Oil Highest Revenue Earner by VulgarVulvas: 9:22pm On Sep 09, 2016
Hagm0nd:
The cocoa output for that year was much higher than what is written due to the fact that huge quantities hadn't been exported yet

Google the report for 2011 scroll down to page 16 and you will see a 5yr table summarizing cocoa exports and revenue since 1907.

The average revenue generated from cocoa was a paltry €85k.

Make una dey softly softly lie

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Annual Report Of 1914: Palm Oil Highest Revenue Earner by VulgarVulvas: 9:24pm On Sep 09, 2016
Adminisher:

Actually no Nigerian money initially went to develop the oil industry. It was after some mega-sized discoveries that the Joint Ventures started and Nigeria started contributing.

As for someone saying palm oil was feeding Nigeria in 1914. That is wrong please. You were feeding the UK and Royal Niger Company then after which then you started feedng yourselves in the Eastern/ Western region depending on what side of the Niger you were.
Mid West palm oil and rubber money was Western Region money. Rivers and Calabar was Eastern region.
Please stop all the rubbish about Niger Delta feeding anybody. There was very little crash crop cultivation in the real swamps of Niger Delta anyway. They were only logistics providers for large boats and canoeS to transport produce to Brass, Opobo and maybe Bonny

Mr man stop that trash.

You guys have been spewing crap that your cocoa and groundnut was what was used to maintain and fund the nation as well as develop Niger Delta oil wells.

Stop retracing your lies.

You guys have been severally scolded on this matter by ppangel.

15 Likes

Re: Annual Report Of 1914: Palm Oil Highest Revenue Earner by aribisala0(m): 9:24pm On Sep 09, 2016
afroniger:

Bro calm down. I asked you to educate me, but instead you are acting like a militant, all belligerent and stuff. Take a chill pill man. You are yet to provide any evidence to prove the assertion you made above, because according to available records, the first railway in Nigeria was opened in 1898 between Lagos and Abeokuta, a distance of 96km (more than a decade before the 1914 figures you presented). As a matter of fact the British government began construction of a railway from Lagos Colony to Ibadan in March 1896. The Lagos Government Railway began operations in March 1901 and was extended to Minna in 1911, where it met the Baro–Kano Railway that was built by the government of Northern Nigeria between 1907 and 1911. The two lines were amalgamated in 1912 into the Government Department of Railways, the predecessor to the Nigerian Railway Corporation. All this happened before the 1914 Amalgamation, when the Northern and Southern Protectorates were separate entities (or de facto countries, if you will). Even the Southern Colony wasn't merged with the Lagos Colony until 1906. Yet, Railways had already been built to Link Lagos with the hinterland of the wider region she falls under.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rail_transport_in_Nigeria

As for the Lagos ports, work began on its expansion way before amalgamation, in 1908 to be precise and ended in 1912 (prior to the amalgamation), excerpted from "Artificial Structures and Shorelines" and attached below.

It's like you are allowing Sanusi's statement to cause you to arouse hatred for other Nigerians in you, be careful bros. Hate is like cancer.

All this is very well detailed in Colony Reports from 1896

13 Likes

Re: Annual Report Of 1914: Palm Oil Highest Revenue Earner by Nobody: 9:24pm On Sep 09, 2016
please read this part carefully,

" A large portion of its people-probably about half-occupying the fulani and bornu state, were the inheritors of an ancient civilization (based on the religion of islam), which, prior to the assumption of the government by the British Crown in 1900, had deteriorated into a rule of tyranny and extortion. Slave raiding had assumed gigantic proportions, and the armies of the Emirs had depopulated vast areas which had previously been inhabited by a dense and industrious pagan population. A great variety of taxes (including death duties, etc) had become the instrument of spoliation, and the Mohammedan law and impartial in their judgments, had also to a large extent become debased and the servile instrument of a despotic Executive

A great variety of taxes (including death duties, etc) had become the instrument of spoliation, and the Mohammedan law and impartial in their judgments, had also to a large extent become debased and the servile instrument of a despotic Executive

this is what we still see till today, nepotism and favoritism... that is why ekwueme was sent to prison why shagari was kept on house arrest,same way bubu is deploying troops to peaceful Niger Delta and ignoring his fulani brother raiding innocent farmers in the middle belt and southern part.....

I just pity Yourbas that suck to the beasts from Futa Jalon...shame shame shame on people who refuse to learn from history

www.nairaland.com/attachments/4217576_img20160909210452_jpeg1795925708c4a5498f4f1319b18d2295

Fulani herdsmen raids and attacks come to mind...we are watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQYYD7uKW9k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ywkx41E6cIg

https://www.nairaland.com/3335277/ghana-fulani-elders-offered-n350m

7 Likes

Re: Annual Report Of 1914: Palm Oil Highest Revenue Earner by CSTR2: 9:25pm On Sep 09, 2016
Damn. This is legendary.
It should be on the frontpage by now. This thread is addressing a fundamental lie that pseudo sophisticates and their fellow pseudo-arabics (enemies of truth, justice and sustainable peace) have peddled for years even though it never really made sense given how diverse the terrain and resources of the eastern region.
Parasitism did not start today. God bless the eastern region.

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Annual Report Of 1914: Palm Oil Highest Revenue Earner by aribisala0(m): 9:26pm On Sep 09, 2016
VulgarVulvas:

[size=18pt]Mr. man what I want to know is that if Western Region contributed to half of Palm Oil proceeds as your claim which amounted to about €900,000 for the year 1914 but only a paltry €150k from cocoa how come your region never celebrated Palm above cocoa?

Why is there cocoa house in Ibadan and not palm kernel house ?[/size]

I await your lies in response to my question.

The figures are in the report, shouting will not change them

in 1898 the total export of palm oil and palm kernel was £460000 from the Colony of Lagos. That is written in black and white it is not a matter for debate

Cocoa was a new thing in 1914. Clearly you lack knowledge. Cocoa as a plant is not indigenous to AFrica so by 1914 it was just taking off. By Independence it was a different story

17 Likes

Re: Annual Report Of 1914: Palm Oil Highest Revenue Earner by VulgarVulvas: 9:28pm On Sep 09, 2016
aribisala0:
[b][/b]
[s]You are also illiterate I never said palm oil export was 900000. That was the total export. I am writing this not because of you clearly you hive no manners. This is for the others who will come on to this thread

looking at what was written in 1914 it just said "Palm oil" but palm oil exports include palm kernel and the Colony of Lagos Exported £400000 and £460000 in 1897 and 1898 . The 1914 report you showed did not mention palm kernels at all.
Still what was the total value of exports from the eastern region in the comparable period[/s]

Trash as usual.

The Lagos Sea port was were cocoa and groundnut was shipped out of Nigeria .

[size=18pt]By this assertion you will start claiming that Lagos and the SW produced all those groundnut pyramids because it was exported through Lagos ports[/size]

Mr man go sleep because you are doing more harm than good for your Yoruba race with your silly lies.

Again answer me why are Yorubas always lamenting on the glory days of cocoa and not palm oil?

27 Likes

Re: Annual Report Of 1914: Palm Oil Highest Revenue Earner by CSTR2: 9:29pm On Sep 09, 2016
InyinyaAgbaOku:

SW was not reckoned with in palm oil production in every historical archive I have read.
It is only on nairaland I read a different story..

15 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

State By State Breakdown Of Goodluck Jonathans Achievements / Osun Governorship Election: Oyetola Reconciles With Aregbesola / Mechanics , Touts, Hotels Tops Beneficiaries Of Lagos Island Flood

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.