Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,520 members, 7,816,275 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:36 AM

Annual Report Of 1914: Palm Oil Highest Revenue Earner - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Annual Report Of 1914: Palm Oil Highest Revenue Earner (44435 Views)

The Colonial Flag Of Nigeria Between 1914-1960 (Photo) / 1931 Population Figures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups- Colonial Annual Report 1933. / Annual Report Of Nigeria 1914: Palm Oil Highest Revenue Earner, See Others (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Annual Report Of 1914: Palm Oil Highest Revenue Earner by Trut(m): 12:12am On Sep 10, 2016
We bust Oluwole lies every day

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Annual Report Of 1914: Palm Oil Highest Revenue Earner by VulgarVulvas: 12:26am On Sep 10, 2016
Trut:
We bust Oluwole lies every day

These people are truly the children of a fallen angel lucifer aka oduduwa

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Annual Report Of 1914: Palm Oil Highest Revenue Earner by coolscott(m): 12:43am On Sep 10, 2016
Hagm0nd:
The south south is not the only region that produces palm oil
Sure.
Anywhere there is enough humidity et al to grow the trees, palm trees can be cultivated. And I believe everywhere from the west all the way to southern Benue state/norther Cross Rives state can produce palm trees.

Cross Rivers state (along with Akwa Ibom) is already well reputed for producing palm oil

7 Likes

Re: Annual Report Of 1914: Palm Oil Highest Revenue Earner by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 2:31am On Sep 10, 2016
aribisala0:
We are talking about 1899

anyway so this truck was used to move palm oil from Calabar to Lagos? On which road? grin grin
What was used to convey groundnut from the north to Lagos?

18 Likes

Re: Annual Report Of 1914: Palm Oil Highest Revenue Earner by aribisala0(m): 2:50am On Sep 10, 2016
InyinyaAgbaOku:

What was used to convey groundnut from the north to Lagos?
Why are you asking ME ? Am I a Groundnut seller?.
If you want information you look for it or pay for it.Don't ask me foolish questions

5 Likes

Re: Annual Report Of 1914: Palm Oil Highest Revenue Earner by Trut(m): 3:27am On Sep 10, 2016
aribisala0:
Why are you asking ME ? Am I a Groundnut seller?.
If you want information you look for it or pay for it.Don't ask me foolish questions

You don't know what to answer because Afonjas lies and propaganda has been busted.

16 Likes

Re: Annual Report Of 1914: Palm Oil Highest Revenue Earner by Jarus(m): 3:59am On Sep 10, 2016
Igboid:
So this arisbisala is Jarus and also Omonnakoda all these while?

Choi! Ndia etee ose, tee ugba!

Are you joking? Do I look like a coward that will hide under another name to express my views?

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Annual Report Of 1914: Palm Oil Highest Revenue Earner by felixomor: 4:49am On Sep 10, 2016
This is a nice post.

The more we dig up and study history, the stronger we will be.

Kudos.

9 Likes

Re: Annual Report Of 1914: Palm Oil Highest Revenue Earner by LMFashions: 5:05am On Sep 10, 2016
Hagm0nd:
it was from the same document you posted, it was said that due to cocoa price slump,many farmers refused to sell their produces during the period of documentation.
Is the south south region the only region that produces palm oil.
I challenge you to post pictures of any map where some part of western region doesn't cultivate oil palm.
If not use your brain and stop quoting me.

Of course SW cultivates oil palm but its like comparing the crude oil in Ondo and Lagos with dat of the Niger Delta. The fact is dat Eastern Nigeria cultivated and contributes way much more.

13 Likes

Re: Annual Report Of 1914: Palm Oil Highest Revenue Earner by OBAGADAFFI: 5:26am On Sep 10, 2016
Adminisher:

Actually no Nigerian money initially went to develop the oil industry. It was after some mega-sized discoveries that the Joint Ventures started and Nigeria started contributing.

As for someone saying palm oil was feeding Nigeria in 1914. That is wrong please. You were feeding the UK and Royal Niger Company then after which then you started feedng yourselves in the Eastern/ Western region depending on what side of the Niger you were.
Mid West palm oil and rubber money was Western Region money. Rivers and Calabar was Eastern region.
Please stop all the rubbish about Niger Delta feeding anybody. There was very little crash crop cultivation in the real swamps of Niger Delta anyway. They were only logistics providers for large boats and canoeS to transport produce to Brass, Opobo and maybe Bonny

Best comment so far.

At no time did the Colonialist use raw materials to feed their host.

10 Likes

Re: Annual Report Of 1914: Palm Oil Highest Revenue Earner by Sealeddeal(m): 5:29am On Sep 10, 2016
Is Southwest Nigeria now claiming Palm oil instead of Cocoa as their Major export before independence?
So no more cocoa? So cocoa was useless?
Those people...
The Eastern Nigeria has always fed Nigeria with everything.

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Annual Report Of 1914: Palm Oil Highest Revenue Earner by Sealeddeal(m): 5:31am On Sep 10, 2016
OBAGADAFFI:

Best comment so far.

At no time did the Colonialist use raw materials to feed their host.
Sure they didn't but they used some to build Seaports and Railways.

4 Likes

Re: Annual Report Of 1914: Palm Oil Highest Revenue Earner by OBAGADAFFI: 5:42am On Sep 10, 2016
Sealeddeal:
Sure they didn't but they used some to build Seaports and Railways.

Seaports are built on the coastal areas from Calabar to Lagos.

Railways were regional.

They are just transportation means .

7 Likes

Re: Annual Report Of 1914: Palm Oil Highest Revenue Earner by jneutron4000: 6:39am On Sep 10, 2016
VulgarVulvas:

Oil palm production back a hundred years ago is similar to crude oil production today.

How many barrels of crude does SW bring to the 2.6million bpd?

Going by that rubbish then your paltry 154k revenue from cocoa should be shared with the Niger delta and eastern lands because cocoa was also farmed in bothe these two areas.
now you are confusing yourself just a simple question that require a straight answer and you are just beating around the bush. Back then, Akwa Ibom produced more palm oil and the following states just produced to the best they can in which at least three states from SW region also produced Palm oil Ondo, Ekiti and Ogun state produced in large quantity too also some states in SE produced too in a very large quantity. So therefore that export of Palm oil that year was all gotten from all the states producing Palm oil.

11 Likes

Re: Annual Report Of 1914: Palm Oil Highest Revenue Earner by jneutron4000: 6:44am On Sep 10, 2016
Now it got to a stage where Palm oil was not much required back then and it market fell just like was is happening to crude oil these days and Cocoa and Timber became very important in the Nigeria economic Cocoa production in Nigeria
Cocoa production is important to the economy of Nigeria. Cocoa is the leading agricultural export of the country and Nigeria is currently the world's fourth largest producer of Cocoa, after Ivory Coast, Indonesia and Ghana,[1] and the third largest exporter, after Ivory Coast and Ghana.[2] The crop was a major foreign exchange earner for Nigeria in the 1950s and 1960s and in 1970 the country was the second largest producer in the world but following investments in the oil sector in the 1970s and 1980s, Nigeria's share of world output declined. In 2010, Cocoa production accounted for only 0.3% of agricultural GDP.[1] Average cocoa beans production in Nigeria between 2000 and 2010 was 389,272 tonnes per year [1] rising from 170,000 tonnes produced in 1999.[3]. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cocoa_production_in_Nigeria

8 Likes

Re: Annual Report Of 1914: Palm Oil Highest Revenue Earner by jneutron4000: 6:53am On Sep 10, 2016
So op thinking SW did not and is not feeding Nigeria is a big lie. The region has got everything. Crude oil, Agriculture, industrialization etc. apart from the SS can you pls tell us what the SE contribution that is increasing this country GDP?

8 Likes

Re: Annual Report Of 1914: Palm Oil Highest Revenue Earner by jneutron4000: 6:59am On Sep 10, 2016
Even in the report, the SW region i.e. Lagos sea port was used to export good from every parts of the country to overseas and some of you will say it was crude oil money that was used to build Lagos sea port. Even for using Lagos port shows the SW region Have being useful since the time of Adam and Even. Now don't give me that flimsy excuse that is because Lagos was the Sit of power then why then no put sit of power for Imo then? grin

12 Likes

Re: Annual Report Of 1914: Palm Oil Highest Revenue Earner by Souljaboi1: 7:07am On Sep 10, 2016
Jarus:

Are you joking? Do I look like a coward that will hide under another name to express my views?

Egbon, all the way from Mina ! cheesy

Don't forget your Aburos in du'a.
Re: Annual Report Of 1914: Palm Oil Highest Revenue Earner by Lushore1: 7:13am On Sep 10, 2016
VulgarVulvas:

Are you daft?

Now you are relying on outright lies to defend your silly lies?

Where in that page was there even mention of palm oil?

Stop your Useles les.

Cocoa.—The increase here is very satisfactory indeed,
but it should not be taken as indicating that Lagos, so
rich in indigenous palm products, will make such rapid and substantial progress in this industry as has been accomplished on the Gold Coast. Every encouragement is being given to planters, and the recently formed Agricultural Union, which has branch societies at Abeokuta, Ibadan, and Oyo, is doing
good work. The Government realises how desirable it is, look-ing to the future, that Lagos should not be so entirely depen-dent upon the palm tree, and not only with regard to cocoa but other products as well is it hoped that our export trade may be rendered less narrow than at present

2 Likes

Re: Annual Report Of 1914: Palm Oil Highest Revenue Earner by Lushore1: 7:25am On Sep 10, 2016
VulgarVulvas:

Your lies will not work here.

You have been spewing total irrelevant bullsh1t trying to claim that SW produced more palm than any other region in the south and you only sounded like an autistic child dropped deliberately on his head by his mother.

Guy pray tell why were Yorubas not fighting the federal govt in 1967 over better pricing of palm rather than cocoa in the Agbekoya Parapo uprising?

All we here from that waste land of yours is cocoa this cocoa that and now you want to claim that SW produced more palm oil than the entire Eastern and Midwest region?

Guy keep showing how wicked and treacherous you Yorubas are.

This thread isn't meant for afonjas like you but my brothers in the better south.

If you want to volunteer your services as the resident Yoruba lying , slanderous traitor then pls be my guest.

Bros, he never said southwest produced palm products more than eastern or midwest region. It was you guys that initial claimed that niger delta was feeding everyone before you changed it to eastern region and eventually added midwest to your claim. Forgeting that midwest region was not part of eastern region but western region.

The total of palm products you guys were quoting came from all over the country and at least four states from SW region also produced palm products. Ondo, Ekiti, Ogun and Lagos state produced in large quantity.

7 Likes

Re: Annual Report Of 1914: Palm Oil Highest Revenue Earner by jneutron4000: 7:35am On Sep 10, 2016
Lushore1:

Bros, he never said southwest produced palm products more than eastern or mideest region. It was you guys that initial claimed that niger deltal was feeding everyone before you changed it to eastern region and eventually added midwest to your claim.
Dont mind them, they are just confused. I just asked the OP a simple question and the guy just twisted everything. They just want to bad mouth SW region so that they will be happy grin. The Palm oil money that they are even shouting about, the Colonial Masters took almost all if not all away. After 1960, Cocoa became Nigeria major source of income before crude oil. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cocoa_production_in_Nigeria. So leave OP make him dey make himself happy grin

10 Likes

Re: Annual Report Of 1914: Palm Oil Highest Revenue Earner by Lushore1: 7:43am On Sep 10, 2016
jneutron4000:
Dont mind them, they are just confused. I just asked the OP a simple question and the guy just twisted everything. They just want to bad mouth SW region so that they will be happy grin. The Palm oil money that they are even shouting about, the Colonial Masters took almost all if not all away. After 1960, Cocoa became Nigeria major source of income before crude oil. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cocoa_production_in_Nigeria. So leave OP make him dey make himself happy grin

I really dont know when this chestbeating is going to Stop.

6 Likes

Re: Annual Report Of 1914: Palm Oil Highest Revenue Earner by timeman: 8:00am On Sep 10, 2016
APCHaram:
[s]The famous Groundnuts generated a total of 154,000 pounds
Cocoa the same.

The only commodity that neared palm oil from the Niger Delta was Tin mining in Jos which wasn't even up to half of that realised from palm oil.

Can you people now shutup on that silly lie that your cocoa and groundnuts were used to develop the oil industry[/s]!
You could have been done smoking before putting up this thread. Your knack for sensationalism has beclouded you from reading between the lines. One question for you: why was the market for palm oil declined in the 50s? i hope soon we shall revisit this.

7 Likes

Re: Annual Report Of 1914: Palm Oil Highest Revenue Earner by Igboid: 8:21am On Sep 10, 2016
Lushore1:

Bros, he never said southwest produced palm products more than eastern or midwest region. It was you guys that initial claimed that niger delta was feeding everyone before you changed it to eastern region and eventually added midwest to your claim. Forgeting that midwest region was not part of eastern region but western region.

The total of palm products you guys were quoting came from all over the country and at least four states from SW region also produced palm products. Ondo, Ekiti, Ogun and Lagos state produced in large quantity.

No. As of the time in discuss, there was no Western region or Eastern region. It was Bourdillon in 1939 that created those regions.

But the Palm oil were produced in areas of the pre 1906 Southern Nigeria ie SS and SE, that eventually became Mid west and Eastern region.

You can't use because Bourdillon added the part of the Southern Nigeria known as the Midwest into your Lagos colony, to create western region in 1939, to now claim the Palm oil produced by the Mid westerners.

5 Likes

Re: Annual Report Of 1914: Palm Oil Highest Revenue Earner by timeman: 8:34am On Sep 10, 2016
VulgarVulvas:

[s]Mr. Man stop spewing trash.

Why is the SW celebrating cocoa instead of oil palm?

I have looked into the Report of 1911 (check page 16) and you will see an average earnings for the past 5yrs up starting from 1907 to 1911 and Nigeria earned an average of just €85,000 from cocoa. See it for yourself.

So how come You made €900,000 from palm export and we only hear you guys beating your flat chest about cocoa?

Stop your lies Abeg !

Can you point to Palm Oil house in Ibadan ?

You can lie for satan I swear!

And finally cocoa was also farmed in present day Delta state (my state ), Akwa Ibom, Rivers and also Calabar.

So if we go by your own logic then Niger Delta made half of that paltry 5yr average earnings of €85,000.

You people should stop giving Yorubas a bad name with your jealousy, envy and outright lies[/s].
If only you had patience, maybe knowledge would have smiled at you, unfortunately, you were way ahead of yourself. if you had read with keen insights you would've realised that you gloated on mere trivial. Ask yourself why the market for palm oil declined from early 40s.
Kiss the truth!

7 Likes

Re: Annual Report Of 1914: Palm Oil Highest Revenue Earner by Igboid: 9:17am On Sep 10, 2016
timeman:
If only you had patience, maybe knowledge would have smiled at you, unfortunately, you were way ahead of yourself. if you had read with keen insights you would've realised that you gloated on mere trivial. Ask yourself why the market for palm oil declined from early 40s.
Kiss the truth!

Quit hiding your ignorance behind vague posts. If you have a point/ information relevant to the discussion, bring it out now or forever remain silent.

10 Likes

Re: Annual Report Of 1914: Palm Oil Highest Revenue Earner by Igboid: 9:23am On Sep 10, 2016
jneutron4000:

Cocoa became Western Nigeria major source of income, after independence, but even that was debatable, as some had argued that rubber mainly from the Midwest area was the real forex earner for the region.
Either way., Western region Cocoa was strictly for Western region, they fed no one else, they only paid their loyalty to the FG, like the the Eastern region and Northern region did.

Moreover, Cocoa was also produced in Cross Rivers and Northern Abia parts of the Eastern region, but not in the scale it was produced in Western region, just as Western region Palm produce were not in the scale as produced in the Eastern region and mid western parts.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Annual Report Of 1914: Palm Oil Highest Revenue Earner by SairikiDurri: 9:47am On Sep 10, 2016
timeman:
Kiss the truth!

You guys are born liars.

Prove that west Nigeria produced more palm oil than present day SS/SE region.

You guys are shameless liars.

Not one single fact as presented by the OP has been recounted by your shameless liars rather all I see is pure foolishness in trying to claim that your waste land was richer in terms of palm exports.

You guys are truly the problem!

8 Likes

Re: Annual Report Of 1914: Palm Oil Highest Revenue Earner by Eastlink(m): 9:54am On Sep 10, 2016
APCHaram:
https://www.google.com/url?q=http://libsysdigi.library.illinois.edu/ilharvest/Africana/Books2011-05/3064634/3064634_1914/3064634_1914_opt.pdf&sa=U&ved=0ahUKEwiGyOH69YLPAhUBJMAKHe0OAM8QFggLMAA&usg=AFQjCNE8bx1PWlU-vVAQhrTxIllP50Cn-w

Saw this pdf "Annual Report 1914, Nigeria " (see link above) which showed gross revenue between the north and southern regions after one year of almagation.

Go to page 7 and see for yourself how Nigeria's greatest revenue earner at over €1million pounds ( at least 10 times higher than any commodity export even cocoa) is proof that Niger Delta and eastern Nigeria has been feeding Nigeria since almagation.

@OP, the report states 'Eastern Nigeria' and not 'Niger-Delta'. Eastern Nigeria or Oil Rivers was what the areas contituting the palm oil belt was known as then. The term 'Niger-Delta' is a new invention, synonymous with crude oil.

9 Likes

Re: Annual Report Of 1914: Palm Oil Highest Revenue Earner by Igboid: 10:02am On Sep 10, 2016
Eastlink:
@OP, the report states 'Eastern Nigeria' and not 'Niger-Delta'. Eastern Nigeria or Oil Rivers was what the areas contituting the palm oil belt was known as then. The term 'Niger-Delta' is a new invention, synonymous with crude oil.

Nna, leave that matter for Matthias for now.

We have common foe, ie the North and their Yoruba Muslim brothers.

No need splitting hairs over irrelevant semantics for now. Whether Niger Delta or Eastern region, we are all saying same thing. If you put just Eastern region, you exclude the Western Igbos, if you put just Niger Delta, you exclude Anambra, Enugu and Ebonyi.

So, you see, it doesn't matter either of the terms we use, what matters is that we establish the fact that the Yorubas and the North had always been lacking, which is why they are still clinging unto Nigerian unity till today.

Udo.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Annual Report Of 1914: Palm Oil Highest Revenue Earner by Lushore1: 10:07am On Sep 10, 2016
Igboid:

No. As of the time in discuss, there was no Western region or Eastern region. It was Bourdillon in 1939 that created those regions.

But the Palm oil were produced in areas of the pre 1906 Southern Nigeria ie SS and SE, that eventually became Mid west and Eastern region.

You can't use because Bourdillon added the part of the Southern Nigeria known as the Midwest into your Lagos colony, to create western region in 1939, to now claim the Palm oil produced by the Mid westerners.

It was the op that was attributing the total palm oil production in the country to niger delta. He later changed it to eastern region and eventually added midwest.

Go through the cited report again and you will see that the present southwest region is also part of southern provinces. Example the regeneration of cocoa farm in agege district and apapa saw mill (lagos), the oni forest reserve (ogun state) and many others....

6 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Tinubu Returns To Delta, To Meet Tompolo, Other Ex-Militants / Charly Boy Reacts To Alex Badeh's Death By Assassination / Bomb Blast In Yola This Night

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.