Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,019 members, 7,818,019 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:49 AM

Help! My Parents Want Me To Marry Someone I Don't Like. - Romance (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Help! My Parents Want Me To Marry Someone I Don't Like. (31002 Views)

I Wish To Marry Her But Her Parents Want To Spoil The Plan / My Girlfriend Told Me She Is Not In Good Health And Wouldn't Want Me To Suffer / She Wants Me To Buy Her 66k Phone, But Doesn't Want Me To Touch Her (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Help! My Parents Want Me To Marry Someone I Don't Like. by millionboi(m): 5:40pm On Nov 21, 2016
DDeliverer:
Why don't you love this guy, my dear op?

Marry him..the love would grow afterwards...!!

Don't say "I'm too young".."there is plenty more time"..because those are exactly what sister meg said and today she is 49, No husband, No children...

And forget about that your poor coursemate you are dating....this is real life!! wink
hahaha
.. .. No mind her,small pinkin dey worry her.
Re: Help! My Parents Want Me To Marry Someone I Don't Like. by lekzman: 5:42pm On Nov 21, 2016
Marry someone you do not like is a big problem and listen not to your parent is another wahala. Uhmmm! But, my advice to you is you should make a plan(backup plan) for any decision you may take. Lastly, do what will make you happy not what you will regret. Pray for God direction.
Re: Help! My Parents Want Me To Marry Someone I Don't Like. by millionboi(m): 5:42pm On Nov 21, 2016
Toniaeloho:
A man in his late twenties approached me to marry him. I was not attracted to him neither was he a very friendly person. I told my mom about it and she advised me to think about it carefully.

After much thought, I decided to refuse because he seemed in hurry to marry me even when he barely knew me.

My parents got so angry with me. They said I should say agree because he is God fearing, has a good job( he owns a school) and they like him. I still refused , the man told me to marry him because he likes me and my parents like him. I tried reasoning with him but he told me that in those days girls marry men their parents approve.

My parents have threatened to not support my schooling if I refuse. I have tried to love this guy but I just can't. My parents esp my mom like him too much. I am not allowed to say a bad word against him. I am in my final year at school and 19 year old.

What should I do?
Re: Help! My Parents Want Me To Marry Someone I Don't Like. by millionboi(m): 5:40pm
DDeliverer:

Don't say "I'm too young".."there is plenty more time"..because those are exactly what sister meg said and today she is 49, No husband, No children...

And forget about that your poor coursemate you are dating....this is real life!! wink

hahaha

1 Like

Re: Help! My Parents Want Me To Marry Someone I Don't Like. by Annalise(f): 5:44pm On Nov 21, 2016
Toniaeloho:

I plan on following your advice. It's surprising since my parents are well to do. I think they are just scared I will bring a poor boy from a tribe they hate and I will say I love him.

Do you have an older uncle/family friend or pastor who your parents respect? If yes, let them know. By the way you described the man, he would be authoritarian. Imagine him telling you that girls of those days never refused their parents choice? If you cannot find a way out, you should find a job and go and live with a relative or friend outside town. Just tell them that you have agreed but let them wait till after service. When you're through with service, you just remain in that town and lie that you have a new job. You can even threaten suicide. I feel for you oh, marriage is no joke.

Just an after thought. I hope you're a "good" girl? Because I have noticed that when some parents notice that their daughter is wayward, they start pushing for marriage.
Re: Help! My Parents Want Me To Marry Someone I Don't Like. by rosyandchic(f): 5:45pm On Nov 21, 2016
My dear,my advice to you is to commit everything into God's hand.don't bow to parental pressure 'cos when the heat starts,they will not feel it rather they will start accusing you of not being submissive.just take it to God in prayers, cheers.
Re: Help! My Parents Want Me To Marry Someone I Don't Like. by CXLVII: 5:53pm On Nov 21, 2016
Write a note for them stating why you had to do what you did, then commit any form of suicide.

Am talking from experiences based on the Nollywood movies have watched.
Re: Help! My Parents Want Me To Marry Someone I Don't Like. by windeal: 5:53pm On Nov 21, 2016
This girl op can never be 19years I repeat this girl in question is not 19years ..Nigerian girls will never seize to be 19/20 years old even though they are at their late 30s. gone are those days when parents chooses for their son/daughters who to marry and who not to marry ..unless age, tribe ,job Issues
Re: Help! My Parents Want Me To Marry Someone I Don't Like. by obowunmi(m): 5:55pm On Nov 21, 2016
Toniaeloho:
A man in his late twenties approached me to marry him. I was not attracted to him neither was he a very friendly person. I told my mom about it and she advised me to think about it carefully.

After much thought, I decided to refuse because he seemed in hurry to marry me even when he barely knew me.

My parents got so angry with me. They said I should say agree because he is God fearing, has a good job( he owns a school) and they like him. I still refused , the man told me to marry him because he likes me and my parents like him. I tried reasoning with him but he told me that in those days girls marry men their parents approve.

My parents have threatened to not support my schooling if I refuse. I have tried to love this guy but I just can't. My parents esp my mom like him too much. I am not allowed to say a bad word against him. I am in my final year at school and 19 year old.

What should I do?

Marry him.
Re: Help! My Parents Want Me To Marry Someone I Don't Like. by Shafiiimran99: 5:55pm On Nov 21, 2016
talktonase:
Agreement between the two parties only comes from borrowed western cultures. Parental consent is key in this part of the world...
That is not tru and point is still how do u want them to cope.
Re: Help! My Parents Want Me To Marry Someone I Don't Like. by Elebiju: 5:56pm On Nov 21, 2016
The last time i checked, God fearing men abuse women habitually and this guy fits the picture of a heart fraudster. Let your mum marry him now if she is so much in love with the guy.
Re: Help! My Parents Want Me To Marry Someone I Don't Like. by MayhorE(m): 5:57pm On Nov 21, 2016
just be watching
Re: Help! My Parents Want Me To Marry Someone I Don't Like. by ginggerxy: 6:00pm On Nov 21, 2016
Toniaeloho:

What should I do?
can you share your picture with us here pls
Re: Help! My Parents Want Me To Marry Someone I Don't Like. by Usmaniaaa: 6:02pm On Nov 21, 2016
Wallahi no try am if nt u wil regret ur life..
Re: Help! My Parents Want Me To Marry Someone I Don't Like. by talktonase(m): 6:05pm On Nov 21, 2016
Shafiiimran99:

That is not tru and point is still how do u want them to cope.
over there two selfish people give consent while over here both families come together in the union...Name a couple in a marriage currently in nigeria between two individuals devoid of family members from both sides and I tell you that marriage is about hitting rock bottom or has crashed already!
Re: Help! My Parents Want Me To Marry Someone I Don't Like. by shehuolayinka(m): 6:12pm On Nov 21, 2016
Sorry you say you are 19? But do they still do this stuff again? Enter that union and see the wahala you go face.
Re: Help! My Parents Want Me To Marry Someone I Don't Like. by daclemx: 6:15pm On Nov 21, 2016
Toniaeloho:

What should I do?

If you dont want him...stand your ground....If they say they won't help you, forget about them....God will always provide a helper...Lucky you, you are about to finish your school...so, stand your ground....There are things you can do to make money and help yourself legally....Eloho...Urhobo right? Mavo?
Re: Help! My Parents Want Me To Marry Someone I Don't Like. by Shafiiimran99: 6:19pm On Nov 21, 2016
talktonase:
over there two selfish people give consent while over here both families come together in the union...Name a couple in a marriage currently in nigeria between two individuals devoid of family members from both sides and I tell you that marriage is about hitting rock bottom or has crashed already!
Ok, by the way do u receive comment alert because I don't and if u do, how can I do it
Re: Help! My Parents Want Me To Marry Someone I Don't Like. by repogirl(f): 6:20pm On Nov 21, 2016
Toniaeloho:

I plan on following your advice. It's surprising since my parents are well to do. I think they are just scared I will bring a poor boy from a tribe they hate and I will say I love him.
They shouldn't be so eager to marry you off at such a young age. They should believe in you and how they raised you. Like I said, you should also try to be industrious and they will give you some space.

I'm glad to have been of some help. Good luck dear.

1 Like

Re: Help! My Parents Want Me To Marry Someone I Don't Like. by biggz82: 6:27pm On Nov 21, 2016
Kill yourself
Re: Help! My Parents Want Me To Marry Someone I Don't Like. by lielbree: 6:32pm On Nov 21, 2016
Op where are you from?
Re: Help! My Parents Want Me To Marry Someone I Don't Like. by lielbree: 6:33pm On Nov 21, 2016
biggz82:
Kill yourself
What's wrong with u
Re: Help! My Parents Want Me To Marry Someone I Don't Like. by talktonase(m): 6:34pm On Nov 21, 2016
Shafiiimran99:

Ok, by the way do u receive comment alert because I don't and if u do, how can I do it
hahahah no be only comment alert nah Bank alert.Ask Seun. grin
Re: Help! My Parents Want Me To Marry Someone I Don't Like. by supplyquick: 6:38pm On Nov 21, 2016
Hmmm.....

Meanwhile, don't allow them cheat you. Always visit www.engineerosaz..com for latest prices of building materials and to connect with a professional contractor.
Re: Help! My Parents Want Me To Marry Someone I Don't Like. by ehispapa(m): 6:41pm On Nov 21, 2016
automatix:
It is now clear you are igbo. This can only happen in a place like that. I guess you should just stall the whole arrangement till you grad. Get a job and move out of the house.

eloho is not an Igbo na..its pure Urhobo
Re: Help! My Parents Want Me To Marry Someone I Don't Like. by ehispapa(m): 6:43pm On Nov 21, 2016
daclemx:

If you dont want him...stand your ground....If they say they won't help you, forget about them....God will always provide a helper...Lucky you, you are about to finish your school...so, stand your ground....There are things you can do to make money and help yourself legally....Eloho...Urhobo right? Mavo?

yes..i just saw this just as i said she is Urhobo and i think that final year she meant was Secondary School.
Re: Help! My Parents Want Me To Marry Someone I Don't Like. by Olufemiolaolu(m): 6:49pm On Nov 21, 2016
Toniaeloho:

What should I do?
Dont allow ur happiness 2 be determined by ur parent ok. Becos they wont be there 2 console & feel ur pain when d man starts 2 show his real colours. Be decisive ok.
Re: Help! My Parents Want Me To Marry Someone I Don't Like. by uzoexcel(m): 6:49pm On Nov 21, 2016
Nitwit
tee59:
I know ur parents are igbo who lik money dan anytn.. Money is d only language dis igbo women understand, dat is why dey encourage their toddlers to get married to rich dudes wtout considering their happiness and joy. Igbo people and money, only God can separate dem. I kno d guy must be rich.
Re: Help! My Parents Want Me To Marry Someone I Don't Like. by Toniaeloho(f): 6:49pm On Nov 21, 2016
Towncrier007:
I see bad gang people creating new account same day posting on NL some cooked up stories... just to hit front page, Ogun is watching all of u
Check out the date registered, this kind fake stories for NLFP
this is my first time on nairaland , I joined because I desperately needed advise.
Re: Help! My Parents Want Me To Marry Someone I Don't Like. by uzoexcel(m): 6:52pm On Nov 21, 2016
U would give u daughter out for marriage @ 19?
ridiculous
millionboi:
Re: Help! My Parents Want Me To Marry Someone I Don't Like. by millionboi(m): 5:40pm
DDeliverer:

hahaha
Re: Help! My Parents Want Me To Marry Someone I Don't Like. by rosalieene(f): 6:55pm On Nov 21, 2016
tee59:
[s]I know ur parents are igbo who lik money dan anytn.. Money is d only language dis igbo women understand, dat is why dey encourage their toddlers to get married to rich dudes wtout considering their happiness and joy. Igbo people and money, only God can separate dem. I kno d guy must be rich.[/s]
DUMB!!
From her username its obvious she is from Delta, "ELOHO" what does that sound to you.
Like you don't like money too.

automatix:
It is now clear you are igbo. This can only happen in a place like that. I guess you should just stall the whole arrangement till you grad. Get a job and move out of the house.

From her username its obvious she is from Delta, "ELOHO" what does that sound to you

1 Like

Re: Help! My Parents Want Me To Marry Someone I Don't Like. by automatix: 6:56pm On Nov 21, 2016
ehispapa:

eloho is not an Igbo na..its pure Urhobo
OOPS... i just checked now. Sorry my bad'
Re: Help! My Parents Want Me To Marry Someone I Don't Like. by AreaFada2: 6:57pm On Nov 21, 2016
Your parents want the best for you. But they have not considered many things.
At 19 no need to hurry into marriage.

It brings honour ok, but what if you end up cheating on him with a guy you truly love, like during NYSC and everyone finds out? Or You have to divorce at 22? Won't that be a big dishonour?

Being from your mom's tribe does not mean he will be a good hubby. There are good & bad ones from every tribe.

Meet somebody who they respect, like their pastor to discuss it. Make them reason with you dear.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Yoruba Terms Of Endearment / 7 Categories Of Young Ladies Around A Single Guy. / These 11 Signs Show That You Are Good In Bed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.