Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,467 members, 7,816,092 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:23 AM

Help! My Parents Want Me To Marry Someone I Don't Like. - Romance (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Help! My Parents Want Me To Marry Someone I Don't Like. (30993 Views)

I Wish To Marry Her But Her Parents Want To Spoil The Plan / My Girlfriend Told Me She Is Not In Good Health And Wouldn't Want Me To Suffer / She Wants Me To Buy Her 66k Phone, But Doesn't Want Me To Touch Her (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Help! My Parents Want Me To Marry Someone I Don't Like. by Lexusgs430: 10:11pm On Nov 21, 2016
Raphafire101:

I feel this ur comment jare....especially the absconding part, u sure know how to calm nerves....

But its true nah. If her parents know plans are on tow to abscond, they would relax their position. But I hope she still considers marrying me though .....
Re: Help! My Parents Want Me To Marry Someone I Don't Like. by favexx(f): 10:13pm On Nov 21, 2016
tee59:
I know ur parents are igbo who lik money dan anytn.. Money is d only language dis igbo women understand, dat is why dey encourage their toddlers to get married to rich dudes wtout considering their happiness and joy. Igbo people and money, only God can separate dem. I kno d guy must be rich.
and u just made sense?
Re: Help! My Parents Want Me To Marry Someone I Don't Like. by pressplay411(m): 10:13pm On Nov 21, 2016
Momma knows best. Marry him, love will grow.hehe

1 Like

Re: Help! My Parents Want Me To Marry Someone I Don't Like. by mrblessed(m): 10:25pm On Nov 21, 2016
Where are the cretins who were quick to malign the Igbo nation out sheer hatred and thougtlesness? Won't these psychos bury their heads in shame? Sorry slowspokes, the lady isn't Igbo. No matter the nature of hatred and jealousy, we don't even recognise your existence. We just do our thing, unmindful of your dismal existence.
Re: Help! My Parents Want Me To Marry Someone I Don't Like. by mrblessed(m): 10:57pm On Nov 21, 2016
tee59, the unabashed child of anger. What is your headache with the Igbo nation? Why spew such bile in a public forum? Why demean your self just to prove your hatred for an ethnic group? Did any Igbo dude disappoint you after making promises? Do you truly think you can constitute the Igbo to a sitting duck? It is obvious you don't have good education, or your understanding of complex issues is extremely shaky and unfamthobly flawed. Well, let me give you some tips. As you erroneously and maliciously believed, the Igbo don't worship money, we strive very hard to make money, but due to our highly industrious and enterprising nature, a reprobate like you is likely to misconstrue and misjudge our God-giving trait. You can't be enterprising without having to commune with money. We all use and need money to survive and make our lives better, but to liken it to the Igbo alone, betrayed your true intentions. Sorry, this feeble attempt backfired and exposed your hurtful feelings to the Igbo. Perhaps future attempts will be successful. I wish you best of luck as you go on thoughtlessly hating people and culture.
Re: Help! My Parents Want Me To Marry Someone I Don't Like. by Fxwarrior: 11:36pm On Nov 21, 2016
Jarizod:
19 years old!! Am trying so hard no to insult ur parents here angry

Stand ur ground! Don't marry someone u don't want to .. u will most probably regret it for the rest of ur Life!

19..marriage??! nawa oo

Who you epp?
"Stand your ground?"
So when they stop funding her education na you go help her?

Op I have a practical advice for you. Don't argue. Just calm down and tell your parents to allow you finish your education at least. After your education, do your clearance , go for service and you are now in a better position to call off their bluff.

If they refuse the above, tell your Pastor and Uncles let them see how low your parents have sunk to so they can call family meeting
Re: Help! My Parents Want Me To Marry Someone I Don't Like. by Nobody: 11:39pm On Nov 21, 2016
Fxwarrior:

Who you epp?
"Stand your ground?"
So when they stop funding her education na you go help her?

Op I have a practical advice for you. Don't argue. Just calm down and tell your parents to allow you finish your education at least. After your education, do your clearance , go for service and you are now in a better position to call off their bluff.

If they refuse the above, tell your Pastor and Uncles let them see how low your parents have sunk to so they can call family meeting
k
Re: Help! My Parents Want Me To Marry Someone I Don't Like. by mikolo80: 11:49pm On Nov 21, 2016
tee59:
I know ur parents are igbo who lik money dan anytn.. Money is d only language dis igbo women understand, dat is why dey encourage their toddlers to get married to rich dudes wtout considering their happiness and joy. Igbo people and money, only God can separate dem. I kno d guy must be rich.
is there happiness in poverty?
Re: Help! My Parents Want Me To Marry Someone I Don't Like. by absool(m): 11:55pm On Nov 21, 2016
What elder sees sitting down a child can't see it standimg

1 Like

Re: Help! My Parents Want Me To Marry Someone I Don't Like. by dcole73: 12:44am On Nov 22, 2016
Better Run.

If u marry him u are on your own.

OYO..
Re: Help! My Parents Want Me To Marry Someone I Don't Like. by Nobody: 1:04am On Nov 22, 2016
You are not too young, obey your parent and marry,a child that dnt heed will regret,dnt mind nairalanders discouraging you,you will grow to love,love dnt just occur.your parents will guide you through your marriage,because if you dnt and u want to enjoy life,you may end up losing your virginity for some guys that dnt care,and won't be bothered about marriage, then u will nurse it till twenty eight,by that time, you maybe going from one wring guy to another and at the end you may not find the right man.so dear, you may not like your parents idea now but its gonna pay you in future.better heed.
Toniaeloho:

I asked them for their reasons but they said they want what is best for me. My mom likes him because he is from her tribe and stays close to our house I am the first daughter and they want to want to get married early because they think it will bring honour to the family
Re: Help! My Parents Want Me To Marry Someone I Don't Like. by Nobody: 1:10am On Nov 22, 2016
But Ugbos too insult and hates Yoruba's and Hausa's
mrblessed:
Where are the cretins who were quick to malign the Igbo nation out sheer hatred and thougtlesness? Won't these psychos bury their heads in shame? Sorry slowspokes, the lady isn't Igbo. No matter the nature of hatred and jealousy, we don't even recognise your existence. We just do our thing, unmindful of your dismal existence.
Re: Help! My Parents Want Me To Marry Someone I Don't Like. by Nobody: 1:11am On Nov 22, 2016
But Igbos too insult and hates Yoruba's and Hausa's
mrblessed:
Re: Help! My Parents Want Me To Marry Someone I Don't Like. by Nobody: 1:19am On Nov 22, 2016
And the boy she maybe sleeping with now may not love her,she want love, she no know say love grows in marriage
Hexzyz:

I don't think the way people think anyway. But you do have sex with a boyfriend whom you love and don't even know if you will end up together. Why not get married and have sex legally?
Re: Help! My Parents Want Me To Marry Someone I Don't Like. by Nobody: 1:30am On Nov 22, 2016
That's the ladys fault, maybe shes lacking in character, not because she married at 20.
talktonase:
A friend of mine found herself in such a predicament and got married at 20yrs. After giving birth to 3 children she went berserk by abandoning her husband and children 12yrs later.Her regret was that she rushed into te whole marriage thing with no experience in relationships.Right now she is kpanshing all over the place meanwhile the husband is a wonderful person.Girl you really need some soul searching...
Re: Help! My Parents Want Me To Marry Someone I Don't Like. by davidif: 2:40am On Nov 22, 2016
ItsQuinn:
If your mum says she's not going to fund your school until you marry him and you're in your final year, it's time to change to the "survival to the fittest" mode. In this kind of situation, you need to think logically.

I would say marry him until you graduate and become independent then divorce him undecided

If dem wan show say dem wicked, you go show dem who wicked pass grin cheesy

Wow! shocked shocked shocked omo see reasoning. Na wa o. undecided
Re: Help! My Parents Want Me To Marry Someone I Don't Like. by lawlahbammy(f): 4:26am On Nov 22, 2016
Hmmm
Op I certainly understand this just that mine was a little different.

I got a marriage proposal at 20 from my first wen I was in my third year, told my mum and she said I should marry the guy sharpaly because I'm fat. But I felt I wasn't ready and at 20 I have my education to tidy up first. He left me and quickly went ahead to marry someone else. At 21 again I got this loving guy that was bent on marrying me again, he begged and persuaded me he also involved mum. I turned it down again cos I told him to wait a while but he was in a rush to wife me which I found choking. My mum took it personal as she wanted me to settle down on time because of my stature but at 21 gosh! I can't just get married like that joor. The guy also went and marry another lady after sometimes later.

Later I told my mum how I felt about it and she reluctantly understood my plights, actually my dad didn't know about all these proposals as he won't allow me to do anything against my will.

Fast forward to now, I'm 28 and not married, my father that could take my side is gone to the other side #ripDad.
She won't allow me rest as she usually refer to what happened whenever she wants to remind me that I'm getting old and not married.

So op I will say follow your mind ooo and need I say that I don't regret turning down those proposals. I don't want to endure marriage simply because I was coarse into it. Lemme make my decision and face the consequence of it not putting the blame on my mum.

This is 21st century make your own choice.
Re: Help! My Parents Want Me To Marry Someone I Don't Like. by tomdon(m): 4:31am On Nov 22, 2016
Estharfabian:
lipsrsealed
So, This is the 21st century. People Marry for love... Not because your Parents say he's good for you. what do they even know? last I checked, maturity isn't a yardstick for wisdom. We've got dumb, Old people too.

Sweety, If you don't love this-this Grandpa, don't marry HIM! you'd only be miserable for life. I mean, You're Still young. Really young... This is the stage Where you should fall deeply in love, Have fun, Explore the world.

Your parents threats are just barks. I guess? they can't kill you. if they're Your real parents, Then, They won't do you anything. except, well, except they're really evil, Shallow and don't care about your own feelings..DON'T MARRY HIM! Pleeeeease! Sheeesh!

Omo c advise
Re: Help! My Parents Want Me To Marry Someone I Don't Like. by Lenny5k: 5:17am On Nov 22, 2016
Toniaeloho:
A man in his late twenties approached me to marry him. I was not attracted to him neither was he a very friendly person. I told my mom about it and she advised me to think about it carefully.

After much thought, I decided to refuse because he seemed in hurry to marry me even when he barely knew me.

My parents got so angry with me. They said I should say agree because he is God fearing, has a good job( he owns a school) and they like him. I still refused , the man told me to marry him because he likes me and my parents like him. I tried reasoning with him but he told me that in those days girls marry men their parents approve.

My parents have threatened to not support my schooling if I refuse. I have tried to love this guy but I just can't. My parents esp my mom like him too much. I am not allowed to say a bad word against him. I am in my final year at school and 19 year old.

What should I do?

Okay it's obvious that your Parents don't care about you and don't want your Happiness.. because this is a Decision that you would live to Regret and NOPE the guy or your Parents knows nothing about GOD to even call him God-Fearing otherwise they would respect you... And by the way why do they want to Rush off a 19yrs old to Marriage? You are not even 25.. So we have Concluded that this is a bad situation for you, so what are you going to do?... Could you at least Pretend or do whatever to complete your education? And after that what's your plans? Can you get a Job with your education so you can fend for yourself? Do you have a handwork so you can start something that can be giving you money?... Hair-Dressing? Trading? Lemme know more okay.. Stay strong and dont give up quickly.... A friend of mine was done the same by her Parent and Pastor to an Older guy from America..He took her there Married her and it was Beating and Fighting non stop even after she had Children... afraid that she might get Killed if she doesnt leave, she finally left the man last year... Anyway I will be checking up on you, remain strong. Godbless
Re: Help! My Parents Want Me To Marry Someone I Don't Like. by Lenny5k: 5:21am On Nov 22, 2016
uplawal:
You are not too young, obey your parent and marry,a child that dnt heed will regret,dnt mind nairalanders discouraging you,you will grow to love,love dnt just occur.your parents will guide you through your marriage,because if you dnt and u want to enjoy life,you may end up losing your virginity for some guys that dnt care,and won't be bothered about marriage, then u will nurse it till twenty eight,by that time, you maybe going from one wring guy to another and at the end you may not find the right man.so dear, you may not like your parents idea now but its gonna pay you in future.better heed.

What type of advice is this for crying out loud? She should Obey her Parents and marry somebody that she doesn't Love cos she may love the person someday? Our we now in Indian where they do arrange marriage? How can ur Parents decide what makes you happy? Please lots of men end up Hurting these Ladies so stop telling her to go ahead abeg... I cant even believe am seeing this?
Re: Help! My Parents Want Me To Marry Someone I Don't Like. by mrblessed(m): 6:22am On Nov 22, 2016
uplawal:
But Igbos too insult and hates Yoruba's and Hausa's
Ms, it is obvious reading from your weak and unjust defence that you share similar characteristic in 'hate business' with tee59. Don't be a party to what is wrong, even if she is your best friend. Ms, where do you stand? Are you also an Igbo hater? Did that Bimbo said your mind? That lady crossed the line. She threw decency and decorum to the dogs. She let her temper get the best of her, and it certainly reveals the worst of her. Nonetheless, she is still an amateur hater; an apprentice who, from all indication, is destined to fall. She and her co-travellers have the uncanny ability to single out purported Igbo tread, and consequently garnish it with ill-conceived bashing that is the figment of their imagination.
Re: Help! My Parents Want Me To Marry Someone I Don't Like. by mrblessed(m): 6:36am On Nov 22, 2016
uplawal:
But Ugbos too insult and hates Yoruba's and Hausa's
It breaks my mind why you instill on defending what is vile and barbaric. Oh, she is ethnic Yoruba just like you. But Yoruba as an ethnic group is not on trial here, Igbo is. Therefore, any and everything she said about the Igbo must be true. I want you to read your defence slowly, and see how evasive you were. In keeping with the malicious scheme, you disingenuously refused to stay on the subject of discussion. You didn't want to mention it because you know your friend was wrong, instead you double down, citing the existence of an unimaginable hatred and tension. So much for defending what is overtly indefensible.
Re: Help! My Parents Want Me To Marry Someone I Don't Like. by nurusystem(m): 6:50am On Nov 22, 2016
babe consult your God,because he may be your best choice or bad choice. and watch him carefully dont lose your position.he may be the better type
Re: Help! My Parents Want Me To Marry Someone I Don't Like. by Nobody: 6:52am On Nov 22, 2016
What do you suggest? smiley
davidif:

Wow! shocked shocked shocked omo see reasoning. Na wa o. undecided
Re: Help! My Parents Want Me To Marry Someone I Don't Like. by Raphafire101: 7:52am On Nov 22, 2016
Lexusgs430:

But its true nah. If her parents know plans are on tow to abscond, they would relax their position. But I hope she still considers marrying me though .....
Loolll...u want her parents to strike u abi
Re: Help! My Parents Want Me To Marry Someone I Don't Like. by Realhommie(m): 8:01am On Nov 22, 2016
lawlahbammy:
Hmmm
Op I certainly understand this just that mine was a little different.

I got a marriage proposal at 20 from my first wen I was in my third year, told my mum and she said I should marry the guy sharpaly because I'm fat. But I felt I wasn't ready and at 20 I have my education to tidy up first. He left me and quickly went ahead to marry someone else. At 21 again I got this loving guy that was bent on marrying me again, he begged and persuaded me he also involved mum. I turned it down again cos I told him to wait a while but he was in a rush to wife me which I found choking. My mum took it personal as she wanted me to settle down on time because of my stature but at 21 gosh! I can't just get married like that joor. The guy also went and marry another lady after sometimes later.

Later I told my mum how I felt about it and she reluctantly understood my plights, actually my dad didn't know about all these proposals as he won't allow me to do anything against my will.

Fast forward to now, I'm 28 and not married, my father that could take my side is gone to the other side #ripDad.
She won't allow me rest as she usually refer to what happened whenever she wants to remind me that I'm getting old and not married.

So op I will say follow your mind ooo and need I say that I don't regret turning down those proposals. I don't want to endure marriage simply because I was coarse into it. Lemme make my decision and face the consequence of it not putting the blame on my mum.

This is 21st century make your own choice.
Just checked ur pix, i mean no disrespect but don't you think you need to shed some weight Like seriously!!
Re: Help! My Parents Want Me To Marry Someone I Don't Like. by Realhommie(m): 8:05am On Nov 22, 2016
Lenny5k:

What type of advice is this for crying out loud? She should Obey her Parents and marry somebody that she doesn't Love cos she may love the person someday? Our we now in Indian where they do arrange marriage? How can ur Parents decide what makes you happy? Please lots of men end up Hurting these Ladies so stop telling her to go ahead abeg... I cant even believe am seeing this?
Everyone mustn't agree on an issue, people must have differing views.. That's her opinion and she has a right to it.

I am not for or against but what's love really?
Re: Help! My Parents Want Me To Marry Someone I Don't Like. by Realhommie(m): 8:15am On Nov 22, 2016
mrblessed:
Ms, it is obvious reading from your weak and unjust defence that you share similar characteristic in 'hate business' with tee59. Don't be a party to what is wrong, even if she is your best friend. Ms, where do you stand? Are you also an Igbo hater? Did that Bimbo said your mind? That lady crossed the line. She threw decency and decorum to the dogs. She let her temper get the best of her, and it certainly reveals the worst of her. Nonetheless, she is still an amateur hater; an apprentice who, from all indication, is destined to fall. She and her co-travellers have the uncanny ability to single out purported Igbo tread, and consequently garnish it with ill-conceived bashing that is the figment of their imagination.
Dude chillax.... Tee59's post was stereotypical, that doesn't necessarily translate to hate. You're overreacting.

No need getting all personal coz someone said something negative bout ur tribe, you have to understand that people must talk.. And just so you know, with due respect, some Igbo's hate others too.
Re: Help! My Parents Want Me To Marry Someone I Don't Like. by lawlahbammy(f): 8:21am On Nov 22, 2016
Realhommie:
Just checked ur pix, i mean no disrespect but don't you think you need to shed some weight Like seriously!!

Thank you for the suggestion. I've large bones so becoming really slim isn't visible. I do my medical check up promptly so I'm healthy.
Re: Help! My Parents Want Me To Marry Someone I Don't Like. by Viking007(m): 8:38am On Nov 22, 2016
ItsQuinn:
If your mum says she's not going to fund your school until you marry him and you're in your final year, it's time to change to the "survival to the fittest" mode. In this kind of situation, you need to think logically illogically

I would say marry him until you graduate and become independent then divorce him undecided

If dem wan show say dem wicked, you go show dem who wicked pass grin cheesy
Fixed. smiley
Re: Help! My Parents Want Me To Marry Someone I Don't Like. by Realhommie(m): 8:39am On Nov 22, 2016
lawlahbammy:

Thank you for the suggestion. I've large bones so becoming really slim isn't visible. I do my medical check up promptly so I'm healthy.
Ok. Good to know
Re: Help! My Parents Want Me To Marry Someone I Don't Like. by Nobody: 8:39am On Nov 22, 2016
How is that fixed? undecided
Viking007:
Fixed. smiley

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Yoruba Terms Of Endearment / Does The Rich Always Marry The Rich? - Solomon Buchi Bartholomew / 7 Categories Of Young Ladies Around A Single Guy.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.