Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,404 members, 7,815,880 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:12 PM

Special Status For Lagos Bill Passes Second Reading At House Of Reps - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Special Status For Lagos Bill Passes Second Reading At House Of Reps (21290 Views)

Ambode To Buhari: Lagos Truly Deserves A Special Status / Bill To Allow Married Women Choose Origin Passes Second Reading / Resource Control Bill Passes Second Reading (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Special Status For Lagos Bill Passes Second Reading At House Of Reps by DerideGull(m): 2:02pm On Dec 08, 2016
The stream of thought of most Nigeria seems to run contrary to human intellect. Why would some states in Nigeria including Lagos State be granted special economic status? Are other states not part and parcel of the zoo called Nigeria? It is disheartening that most Nigerians only encourage any form of separation only when it favors them. All states in Nigeria are equal and should be treated in equal political manner without exception.

1 Like

Re: Special Status For Lagos Bill Passes Second Reading At House Of Reps by okasebe(m): 2:03pm On Dec 08, 2016
omonnakoda:

I would still argue it should apply to ALL STATES . Those that get 20% of nothing will realise that soon enough but why single out Lagos state. Let us first establish the principle and the rationale for the principle.
The other issue is why 20% and not 13% . Why not increase oil derivation to 20% too?

If it should apply to other states then we will need to amend the constitution and probably ignore the population criteria used in sharing revenue before.

It's means FG gives back 20% of what they generate from your state and if they can't generate anything tangible then it means you get 20% of nothing.

It's then we will know the real parasites.

But that's not what am agitating for, what i want is for all states to manage its own resources and contribute the 20% to the FG.

this will ease diversification and ensure all the states are working
Re: Special Status For Lagos Bill Passes Second Reading At House Of Reps by DerideGull(m): 2:04pm On Dec 08, 2016
malel1:

100000 likes.
Can u imagine some people asking why other states should be granted special status, really some people are just plan stupid in this country.

Are you okay upstairs? What makes a great society is the sense of equality.
Re: Special Status For Lagos Bill Passes Second Reading At House Of Reps by kstix(m): 2:10pm On Dec 08, 2016
SIRmanjar:

Arrbookiz ad flattyz dem wan live lagos life by all meanz sha.They tink itz easy.They can't measure up to our ankle level.lagos ur masterstate.We lead ad dey follow.Dem bastardz 4 no pass d bill now make we show dem sheygey.
WESTSIDE!
Abi o
Re: Special Status For Lagos Bill Passes Second Reading At House Of Reps by kstix(m): 2:12pm On Dec 08, 2016
Goke7:

abeg no kill me laugh abeg grin burundi of all countries, chineke! lol
Lol
Re: Special Status For Lagos Bill Passes Second Reading At House Of Reps by omonnakoda: 2:19pm On Dec 08, 2016
okasebe:

If it should apply to other states then we will need to amend the constitution and probably ignore the population criteria used in sharing revenue before.

It's means FG gives back 20% of what they generate from your state and if they can't generate anything tangible then it means you get 20% of nothing.

It's then we will know the real parasites.

But that's not what am agitating for, what i want is for all states to manage its own resources and contribute the 20% to the FG.

this will ease diversification and ensure all the states are working
This current proposal needs a constitutional amendment too.Perhaps you should read again.

People just jump on a thread and start commenting without grasping the issues. What is the name of the bill

I do not see the logical nexus between this and population criteria and it shows a poor comprehension of what is at stake.

This is just another "derivation" bill now being applied to non-oil/mineral revenues e.g VAT and other receipts. Under the constitution as it is those receipts are exempt from derivation and so what is being proposed is a constitutional matter.I foresee many hurdles ahead in the state assemblies without political horse trading. Ultimately it should apply to all states. I do not see how singling out Lagos makes sense. The same changes can be made for all states without mentioning any state by name.
Re: Special Status For Lagos Bill Passes Second Reading At House Of Reps by caracas: 2:59pm On Dec 08, 2016
SIRmanjar:

Arrbookiz ad flattyz dem wan live lagos life by all meanz sha.They tink itz easy.They can't measure up to our ankle level.lagos ur masterstate.We lead ad dey follow.Dem bastardz 4 no pass d bill now make we show dem sheygey.
WESTSIDE!
Whats dis one saying.
Okay now i know
Afonja oshogbo weed is in action.
Re: Special Status For Lagos Bill Passes Second Reading At House Of Reps by SIRmanjar(m): 3:07pm On Dec 08, 2016
steppins:

I don't respond to kids. Go outside and play with toys.
Who b diz WANNKKER?Im b like say mad woman don dey show u pant abi? grin
Re: Special Status For Lagos Bill Passes Second Reading At House Of Reps by SIRmanjar(m): 3:11pm On Dec 08, 2016
caracas:

Whats dis one saying.
Okay now i know
Afonja oshogbo weed is in action.
Who iz diz son of a welder?u hav bin noticed oya runaway u smelling Pig kunt. grin

1 Like

Re: Special Status For Lagos Bill Passes Second Reading At House Of Reps by steppins: 3:23pm On Dec 08, 2016
HopeAtHand:

Anambra and Kano without Rivers??

Madness..
That's because the rest of Nigerians see Rivers as an Eastern state. One slot each for the three major tribes.
They tag you South South, but when it comes to sharing, they share collectively.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Special Status For Lagos Bill Passes Second Reading At House Of Reps by SIRmanjar(m): 3:34pm On Dec 08, 2016
Godprotectigbo2:
afters all u people have gain from lagos been the former capital still una greedy being is not satisfied

just watch out how things unfold in this country any moment from now

lazy agberos
Hahahahahaha.Tinz unfold ke?wot can d arbbooki asses ad u ebo asses dem do?If u guyz cough we will deport u all.I triple dare u guyz.
Re: Special Status For Lagos Bill Passes Second Reading At House Of Reps by okasebe(m): 3:59pm On Dec 08, 2016
omonnakoda:
This current proposal needs a constitutional amendment too.Perhaps you should read again.

People just jump on a thread and start commenting without grasping the issues. What is the name of the bill

I do not see the logical nexus between this and population criteria and it shows a poor comprehension of what is at stake.

This is just another "derivation" bill now being applied to non-oil/mineral revenues e.g VAT and other receipts. Under the constitution as it is those receipts are exempt from derivation and so what is being proposed is a constitutional matter.I foresee many hurdles ahead in the state assemblies without political horse trading. Ultimately it should apply to all states. I do not see how singling out Lagos makes sense. The same changes can be made for all states without mentioning any state by name.

Okay
Thanks
Re: Special Status For Lagos Bill Passes Second Reading At House Of Reps by TheEastActivist: 4:09pm On Dec 08, 2016
okasebe:
Many people on this thread think the bill is about federal government giving free monies to those states. ..lol.

You only get back 20% of proceeds generated from your state.

This bill isn't about giving free money to onitsha, Kano or lagos.

Lagos will benefit largely because it's clear the federal government generates more money from lagos state .
Lagos alone contributes 60% of our GDP ..Kano and anambra were only included for political reasons and for easy passage of the bill. some are even saying it will help the textile industry in Kano, pls how much is the textile industry generating for FG. ..in reality it's only lagos that's benefiting from this kind of Bill because FIRS is more active in Lagos than any of the other two states mentioned

It's only states like Lagos, ogun, akwa ibom, rivers, ondo that will benefit from this kind of Bill if they were included.

Most of Anambra's proceeds goes to their state government, so it's like giving anambra back their 20% of nothing

Oh yeah, and most of the people investing in Lagos are not indigenes...
This will also make them to go and invest in their various states so as to give back to their own state and the rest would be history..
I guess you didn't see this coming.... cheesy
Re: Special Status For Lagos Bill Passes Second Reading At House Of Reps by TheEastActivist: 4:14pm On Dec 08, 2016
SIRmanjar:

Hahahahahaha.Tinz unfold ke?wot can d arbbooki asses ad u ebo asses dem do?If u guyz cough we will deport u all.I triple dare u guyz.
Same Lagos has been deporting your sorry asses time immemorial...
I dare you too cheesy
Re: Special Status For Lagos Bill Passes Second Reading At House Of Reps by okasebe(m): 4:17pm On Dec 08, 2016
TheEastActivist:

Oh yeah, and most of the people investing in Lagos are not indigenes...
This will also make them to go and invest in their various states so as to give back to their own state and the rest would be history..
I guess you didn't see this coming.... cheesy

You have been giving us this theory of how you will turn alaigbo to Japan etc my question is what is actually stopping you?
Re: Special Status For Lagos Bill Passes Second Reading At House Of Reps by TheEastActivist: 4:21pm On Dec 08, 2016
okasebe:

You have been giving us this theory of how you will turn alaigbo to Japan etc my question is what is actually stopping you?

Nothing I tell yah...
We have come to this level with little or no federal intervention and nothing is stopping Igbos...
Look at alaigbo now and tell yourself the truth...
I heard in osun that there are people still living in stone ages and I wonder how many more of such villages the Yorubas are hiding from us.
Re: Special Status For Lagos Bill Passes Second Reading At House Of Reps by SIRmanjar(m): 4:24pm On Dec 08, 2016
TheEastActivist:

Same Lagos has been deporting your sorry asses time immemorial...
I dare you too cheesy
My frend incase u never understood me.I said if u do anyhow u will see anyhow.I trust my state govt dat arbboki alaba arago mrkt ad alaba int mrkt will b shut down.Till u guyz beg.
Re: Special Status For Lagos Bill Passes Second Reading At House Of Reps by TheEastActivist: 4:28pm On Dec 08, 2016
SIRmanjar:

My frend incase u never understood me.I said if u do anyhow u will see anyhow.I trust my state govt dat arbboki alaba arago mrkt ad alaba int mrkt will b shut down.Till u guyz beg.

Lol...
I heard that Lagos government has been destroying slums upandan without media attention and sometimes I wonder who are the victims... can you also tell me?
Most of you claiming Lagosians is the people I pity more, same state govt wouldn't blink an eyelid sending your destitute to your respective states and destroy your poor homes...

What an irony grin
And for your info, Lagos belongs to the ogba and aworis not Yoruba... cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Special Status For Lagos Bill Passes Second Reading At House Of Reps by Twistaray(m): 4:36pm On Dec 08, 2016
TheEastActivist:

Lol...
I heard that Lagos government has been destroying slums upandan without media attention and sometimes I wonder who are the victims... can you also tell me?
Most of you claiming Lagosians is the people I pity more, same state govt wouldn't blink an eyelid sending your destitute to your respective states and destroy your poor homes...

What an irony grin

Correct guy undecided
Infact they are from the east grin
Re: Special Status For Lagos Bill Passes Second Reading At House Of Reps by okasebe(m): 4:38pm On Dec 08, 2016
TheEastActivist:

Nothing I tell yah...
We have come to this level with little or no federal intervention and nothing is stopping Igbos...
Look at alaigbo now and tell yourself the truth...
I heard in osun that there are people still living in stone ages and I wonder how many more of such villages the Yorubas are hiding from us.

Yes now, you are correct.. Your people are living with them in that village
Re: Special Status For Lagos Bill Passes Second Reading At House Of Reps by okasebe(m): 4:38pm On Dec 08, 2016
TheEastActivist:

Lol...

What an irony grin

Lol, you know awori are descendants of nri

1 Like

Re: Special Status For Lagos Bill Passes Second Reading At House Of Reps by TheEastActivist: 4:41pm On Dec 08, 2016
okasebe:

Lol, you know awori are descendants of nri

Ogba too cheesy

1 Like

Re: Special Status For Lagos Bill Passes Second Reading At House Of Reps by TheEastActivist: 4:41pm On Dec 08, 2016
okasebe:

Yes now, you are correct.. Your people are living with them in that village
I doubt, that's why they are primitives in this 21st century grin

1 Like

Re: Special Status For Lagos Bill Passes Second Reading At House Of Reps by TheEastActivist: 4:44pm On Dec 08, 2016
Twistaray:

Correct guy undecided
Infact they are from the east grin
Lol... maybe... cos they are wise...
They have always displayed and voiced their displeasure having afonjas with them in Lagos... grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Special Status For Lagos Bill Passes Second Reading At House Of Reps by SIRmanjar(m): 4:47pm On Dec 08, 2016
TheEastActivist:

Lol...

What an irony grin
Go ad baff man.
Re: Special Status For Lagos Bill Passes Second Reading At House Of Reps by Twistaray(m): 4:54pm On Dec 08, 2016
TheEastActivist:

Lol... maybe... cos they are wise...
They have always displayed and voiced their displeasure having afonjas with them in Lagos... grin

I see.
Infact they can have the whole of lagos in their pocket as long as it...

Remain on NL!

Goodluck..you dream big. I hope you wake up well grin
Re: Special Status For Lagos Bill Passes Second Reading At House Of Reps by Blue3k(m): 5:06pm On Dec 08, 2016
This is hardly tribal just politics and politicing. It still doesn't guarantee the bill passes.
Re: Special Status For Lagos Bill Passes Second Reading At House Of Reps by HopeAtHand: 5:20pm On Dec 08, 2016
steppins:

That's because the rest of Nigerians see Rivers as an Eastern state. One slot each for the three major tribes.
They tag you South South, but when it comes to sharing, they share collectively.

whatever you're selling, im not buying.

Anambra and Kano arent nearly as important as Rivers in Nigeria. The location of strategic national assets, the strategic location of the state by yhe sea, its IGR, its GDP and the mix of Nigerias diverse population residing in Rivers makes it a candidate for whatever special fund being considered. Because we don't have senators and Reps in the national assembly doesn't mean we shud be overlooked.

Anambra and Kano have no economic indices with which they can touch Rivers state.
Re: Special Status For Lagos Bill Passes Second Reading At House Of Reps by steppins: 5:26pm On Dec 08, 2016
HopeAtHand:

whatever you're selling, im not buying.

Anambra and Kano arent nearly as important as Rivers in Nigeria. The location of strategic national assets, the strategic location of the state by yhe sea, its IGR, its GDP and the mix of Nigerias diverse population residing in Rivers makes it a candidate for whatever special fund being considered. Because we don't have senators and Reps in the national assembly doesn't mean we shud be overlooked.

Anambra and Kano have no economic indices with which they can touch Rivers state.
Oya na. Go and tell them.
Keep living in denial.

2 Likes

Re: Special Status For Lagos Bill Passes Second Reading At House Of Reps by HopeAtHand: 5:33pm On Dec 08, 2016
steppins:

Oya na. Go and tell them.
Keep living in denial.

Haha bros...which one be "living in denial".
Re: Special Status For Lagos Bill Passes Second Reading At House Of Reps by Mimzyy(f): 5:50pm On Dec 08, 2016
DucheSsMerezz:

Baybee.. How have u been?

Good good. Missed ya kiss.

1 Like

Re: Special Status For Lagos Bill Passes Second Reading At House Of Reps by Ovamboland(m): 5:52pm On Dec 08, 2016
NaLaugh:

The water table in Lagos is probably too high for a true subway system.

UK, an island has extensive underground railway and there's another subway under the sea linking UK and France. Water table can't stop us if we really want it

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Obaseki: APC Importing Thugs Into Edo / Gov Dickson Goofed, Bayelsans/ijaws Are Not Lazy / Fuel Crisis: Nigeria Labour Congress Hails Senate, Threatens Mass Action

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.