Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,099 members, 7,814,862 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 09:10 PM

Nairalanders Help! My Dad Talks Too Much. - Family (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Nairalanders Help! My Dad Talks Too Much. (40561 Views)

Is My Dad Trying To Have An Extramarital Affair? / Is It Right For Me To Ask My Mum To Divorce My Dad?? / My Dad Cheated On My Mum Before She Died And He's Still Doing It (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairalanders Help! My Dad Talks Too Much. by IntroVAT: 3:08am On Jun 11, 2017
I wish my dad was still alive....i wouldn't mind hearing him talk every second of every day cry

4 Likes

Re: Nairalanders Help! My Dad Talks Too Much. by kennytidistar(m): 3:31am On Jun 11, 2017
Slap him, maybe you dont know he is the master of the house, you thought it's that gathering of friends of yours where you form irritation as long as he is speaking sense, listen and learn, monkey.
Re: Nairalanders Help! My Dad Talks Too Much. by israelmao(m): 3:36am On Jun 11, 2017
Wife married in a show will be likely taken away by the same show.By the their fruit we shall know them.
Re: Nairalanders Help! My Dad Talks Too Much. by Nobody: 3:49am On Jun 11, 2017

Re: Nairalanders Help! My Dad Talks Too Much. by wadetaw202: 3:53am On Jun 11, 2017
baby124:
I run away from such people because it's tiring. Sometimes you just want peace and quiet.

Talking much is one of the symptoms old age; you will grow old one day.
Re: Nairalanders Help! My Dad Talks Too Much. by Nobody: 3:54am On Jun 11, 2017
Ishilove:
I don't see what the problem is... He's your father. If you are not used to him by now then when will you be used to him? Is it when he has gone to a place where you can't reach him?

If you feel embarrassed about how he relates with your friends then keep them away from your home. Simple.

Some have shoes, but have no legs, some have legs, but have no shoes. Meanwhile those that have legs and shoes are complaining about the shoes.

Enjoy him while you can because there are many out there who will give almost anything to have a father.

This ^^^^
Re: Nairalanders Help! My Dad Talks Too Much. by wadetaw202: 3:55am On Jun 11, 2017
omoadeleye:
grin grin your papa needs a factory reset

Your kids too may recommend factory reset for you when you grow old. It will soon be your turn. I suggest you be careful what you say about the old peeps today lest it comes back to you.
Re: Nairalanders Help! My Dad Talks Too Much. by Mayflowa(m): 4:06am On Jun 11, 2017
saasala:

Oh, you complaining ust because your dad likes keeping his lips in motion. Look, I have a drunkard father who has been embarassng us since the beginning of time. He would fall inside a canal, gutter, vomit everywhere etc. Now that we all have grown and left home, he still does his shiits, and the stains are still unwashed till this moment. I would exchange him for my drunkard dad anytime anyday. Go thank your stars

I had probably exchange my late dad for your drunkard dad!
Re: Nairalanders Help! My Dad Talks Too Much. by MrIcredible: 4:16am On Jun 11, 2017
DY20:
Hi Nairalanders!

"My dad talks too much" and by saying too much I did not mean he's crazy or something, I mean he talks sensible thing for an absurd long period of time.

Let me use 5 out of million of scenario to define my case.

1. Anytime the family is complete inside the house, and everyone is quiet; busy with something, I browsing on my phone, my little brother playing video game, my sister using beads, mum watching TV and my dad? Talking. When it is very obvious that no one cares to listen, he continue talking.

2. If any of my friends came to visit me, they will become my dad's guest. From the very first moment they say "Good morning" to him, he started talking, asking them questions, essp about their work, school, and talking about his own life too. Like what is happening now, I can see awkward smile on their face as they listen but just don't want to walk away leaving him embarrassed.

3. One day, I was chatting with girlfriend till late in the night, he woke up and say a light in the male children's room, he came in and started accusing me of internet fraud. We talked and talked till we settle it at dawn. From 2 to 4.30. In the morning, my dad started the topic with my mum again.

4. He talks every seconds when he is in the house or when anyone is with him.

5. He make anyone he saw with me (or any of my siblings) to introduce themselves. Indoor or outdoor.

I don't usually talk about my family affair with people but nobody knows me here or my dad.

I just want to know how to handle situation like this because I've started thinking of leaving the house. Maybe I'll learn to accept him when I don't see him everyday.

See? He is starting already... continues to talk when I'm not even looking at him.
So you want solution from nairaland? shocked

It's a crazy world indeed!
Re: Nairalanders Help! My Dad Talks Too Much. by MrCork: 4:17am On Jun 11, 2017
DY20:
Hi Nairalanders!

"My dad talks too much" and by saying too much I did not mean he's crazy or something, I mean he talks sensible thing for an absurd long period of time.

1. Anytime the family is complete inside the house, and everyone is quiet; busy with something, I browsing on my phone, my little brother playing video game, my sister using beads, mum watching TV and my dad? Talking. When it is very obvious that no one cares to listen, he continue talking.

2. If any of my friends came to visit me, they will become my dad's guest. From the very first moment they say "Good morning" to him, he started talking, asking them questions, essp about their work, school, and talking about his own life too. Like what is happening now, I can see awkward smile on their face as they listen but just don't want to walk away leaving him embarrassed.

3. One day, I was chatting with girlfriend till late in the night, he woke up and say a light in the male children's room, he came in and started accusing me of internet fraud. We talked and talked till we settle it at dawn. From 2 to 4.30. In the morning, my dad started the topic with my mum again.

5. He make anyone he saw with me (or any of my siblings) to introduce themselves. Indoor or outdoor.

I don't usually talk about my family affair with people but nobody knows me here or my dad.

I just want to know how to handle situation like this because I've started thinking of leaving the house. Maybe I'll learn to accept him when I don't see him everyday.

See? He is starting already... continues to talk when I'm not even looking at him.

... SLAP HIS FACE mennn....truss me...he will stop naggggggin!!!(no oofeense) angry
Re: Nairalanders Help! My Dad Talks Too Much. by Nobody: 4:31am On Jun 11, 2017
You need help. Look like you took after him. Change yourself.

I dont like to read too much
Re: Nairalanders Help! My Dad Talks Too Much. by sikywonder(m): 4:31am On Jun 11, 2017
good advised
Re: Nairalanders Help! My Dad Talks Too Much. by sben2308(m): 4:32am On Jun 11, 2017
DY20:
Hi Nairalanders!

All I can say is u don't know wat u av until u lose it. Takia
Re: Nairalanders Help! My Dad Talks Too Much. by tochivitus(m): 4:37am On Jun 11, 2017
*value what u have before u loos it.. no matter how too much he talks u can still find a way to strick a balance with him, and how do I mean striking a balance?
make out time to discuss with him, make him your friend and before you know it, he will not be taking at you but talking with you,
and ones you have special bond with him, he will learn to understand when your not in the mood for talks and even when any of ya friend visits, a special kinda look you give him wil signal him not to disturb ya guest, it seems unbelievable but it really works,, I have used this on my granny and it worked perfectly and in facts I learn to love listening when he talks that's why sometimes my own dad seeks my counsel before he does something sometimes, because he says I reason like an old timer lol and am not even the first born, learn to cohabit with him, first u should know your dad is kind of an extrovert, who likes chatting with people and making small talks with ones he don't really know, he has a free spirit and a clean heart his type can never hold anything against anyone once u offend him he tell u there and then and that's it. unlike my dad who will forgive ya trespasses but still use it to blackmail you into doing stuffs for him lol.*

3 Likes

Re: Nairalanders Help! My Dad Talks Too Much. by baby124: 4:44am On Jun 11, 2017
wadetaw202:

Talking much is one of the symptoms old age; you will grow old one day.
Not true. I have sat with a child of 8 who talked too much. An adult in their 30's who talked too much. Not talking too much is a sign of restraint and wisdom. Hope you gather sense before your old age so people don't run from you

1 Like

Re: Nairalanders Help! My Dad Talks Too Much. by OLUJOSHINS(m): 4:46am On Jun 11, 2017
I can literally sell my soul just to have a chat with my father again. & U are here nagging that He talks too much.

Just remember that it was this over talking attitude of His that has been providing food on Ur table from the day U were born. He clothed U with this same attitude. Paid Ur school fees 3 times in a year for over 12 years with this same attitude. Provided so much room in a house to the extent if giving U a boys room with this same attitude.

Until the day U start feed more than one mouth 3 times daily, Pls stop harbouring this childish attitude towards Him.

HE is the greatest man U will ever know.

3 Likes

Re: Nairalanders Help! My Dad Talks Too Much. by Viking007(m): 4:49am On Jun 11, 2017
feelgoodInc:
your dad is getting old and is giving up on life,
Try to buy him a newspaper or buy him a radio to keep him company, sometimes he just needs someone to talk to, so do the needful and stop staring at the phone ask him what the problem is.
smiley
Re: Nairalanders Help! My Dad Talks Too Much. by bakila: 4:58am On Jun 11, 2017
Evablizin:
Sorry dear you can't do anything about it one day you will have your own house and leave the house for him but make sure you are not carrying his gene of talking too much which will manifest later lols
Worst part is she will miss him.

1 Like

Re: Nairalanders Help! My Dad Talks Too Much. by AleeDee(m): 5:01am On Jun 11, 2017
feelgoodInc:
your dad is getting old and is giving up on life,
Try to buy him a newspaper or buy him a radio to keep him company, sometimes he just needs someone to talk to, so do the needful and stop staring at the phone ask him what the problem is.

Get him radio/newspaper, nd u'll ve a longer discussion of d news he heard in ur absense. He'll bcome ur newscaster wch I knw u dnt want. Jst try stayin away frm home nd keeplate in a close frnd's place or pretend to be sleepin in ur room wen u hear him comin. Talkin frm xperience.

PS. Tho I like discussing contemporary issues with my dad cos hes a gud analyst. Even tho its a year nw dat we ve nt seen, we still discuss on fone. U knw my ppl (hausa) with radio na
Re: Nairalanders Help! My Dad Talks Too Much. by Nobody: 5:18am On Jun 11, 2017
DY20:
Hi Nairalanders!

Bro accept ur dad the way he is. Nothing u cn do...
Re: Nairalanders Help! My Dad Talks Too Much. by LeanonGOD(m): 5:21am On Jun 11, 2017
May the good Lord Bless you. More Grease, More Wisdom.
OLUJOSHINS:
I can literally sell my soul just to have a chat with my father again. & U are here nagging that He talks too much.

Just remember that it was this over talking attitude of His that has been providing food on Ur table from the day U were born. He clothed U with this same attitude. Paid Ur school fees 3 times in a year for over 12 years with this same attitude. Provided so much room in a house to the extent if giving U a boys room with this same attitude.

Until the day U start feed more than one mouth 3 times daily, Pls stop harbouring this childish attitude towards Him.

HE is the greatest man U will ever know.

1 Like

Re: Nairalanders Help! My Dad Talks Too Much. by EmekaMD(m): 5:28am On Jun 11, 2017
rheether:
Your mum is the solution to his problem. Ask her to turn into a nag and I promise you, your dad will stop talking.

Re: Nairalanders Help! My Dad Talks Too Much. by janvier27(m): 5:29am On Jun 11, 2017
I used to worry that my dad disturbed too much anytime I was on a trip. If he knew I was travelling, he would call severally & monitor till I reached my destination. That used to be so disturbing and annoying. Now i recall my first trip after he passed on. No one called me. I wept. I still do.

2 Likes

Re: Nairalanders Help! My Dad Talks Too Much. by Nobody: 5:32am On Jun 11, 2017
He's lonely (not every presence is a suitable companion) and chances are (bluntly put)- you are so rude or else why should you put this on nairaland?
Re: Nairalanders Help! My Dad Talks Too Much. by tunde82seidat(f): 5:33am On Jun 11, 2017
iykofias:
Ur papa na apprentice to my boss
walai u just spoke my mind.My boss talks to the extent that sometimes we( ppl under her) just pretend to get her message put on a take smile n move on.
Re: Nairalanders Help! My Dad Talks Too Much. by Nobody: 5:35am On Jun 11, 2017
sexybbstar:
My maternal grandfather too is like that and my mum and her siblings always dread his visit. Even I as the grand daughter don't enjoy the home during his visit. Cook beans for him(wahala), cook rice (wahala), prepare amala(problem).. Give him pounced yam(u are the best). He would tell everyone when he returns home how you prepared rice for him instead of pounded yam(he can eat it 3 times daily for the rest of his life). He can travel from one state to another to visit another child and relate the story of how u cooked rice for him. One of his daughter in law made a big mistake by preparing bread nd tea...Secrecy is not in his dictionary... He would tell everyone how the husband of his daughter.... Nonsense all through Sha.

He's not even caring... Whenever he's coming to to visit, he would keep a small cane...(can u imagine)
Apreciate the old man... Not many people can still enforce the right descipline at that age... Children need it.

1 Like

Re: Nairalanders Help! My Dad Talks Too Much. by LeanonGOD(m): 5:40am On Jun 11, 2017
By God's GRACE in Good Health you WILL live much longer than your dad. I wish mine was alive talking none stop, I would still be proud of him.
IntroVAT:
I wish my dad was still alive....i wouldn't mind hearing him talk every second of every day cry

1 Like

Re: Nairalanders Help! My Dad Talks Too Much. by HaneefahRN(f): 5:42am On Jun 11, 2017
This OP is high sha.
My dad is just like this, can talk for a long period of time, if you have a guest, he or she must receive a lecture too, they usually don't mind anyway. Or if he was watching a film when you walk in, he can tell you the details even without you asking or a news or about natural medicine, he can talk about a variety of topics. He will tell you the year he learnt it sef.
But I think it's cool, though it can be annoying sometimes, like when you are sick and he decides to tell everyone he knows and meet on the way, that you are sick and we are going to the hospital ' rolls eye'.
And I know how to dodge him when I get tired of the talk, just tell him, I quickly want to do something and coming back.

Op you should be used to your dad's nature by now, you can always create interest in his discussions and developed ways to evade him when not interested.
I don't know why it should bother you unless he says things that are embarrassing or demeaning to you.
Re: Nairalanders Help! My Dad Talks Too Much. by kdon0000: 5:45am On Jun 11, 2017
Its only orphans that knows the implication of not having someone to call dad
enjoy your father while there is still time and try to cope with his flaws.
I think he loves his family and he is becoming overprotective and always wants to enjoy their company. Afterall which other family does he have to share his knowledge and wisdom except his.

1 Like

Re: Nairalanders Help! My Dad Talks Too Much. by LeanonGOD(m): 5:46am On Jun 11, 2017
Very good advise, may God bless you and wipe away all your tears in Jesus Name.
EmoBoy:
I will give anything to hear my father talk again.

OP

Just imagine that one day, your father that talks too much had a stroke and he wasn't talking anymore. Days past, weeks past and months past but he still wasn't able to talk. Bro, you will be the one wishing he could start rapping like Bone thugs.

Don't wish for what you can't handle, I am talking from experience. This your father that you insult for talking too much, one day, you will need him to even say one word but he can't or he would not be there and do you know what you will do? You will cry and weep like a baby.

You have 24 hrs in a day, spend at least 2 hours in talking to father. Make your father feel special, he deserves it. Your own time will come and will wish your children could talk to you.

Re: Nairalanders Help! My Dad Talks Too Much. by LordOfNaira: 5:51am On Jun 11, 2017
DY20:
Hi Nairalanders!

Sorry, I just couldn't stop laughing, especially at the "awkward smiles on your friends' faces".

On a serious note, I don't know how you can help it. It is a fundamental problem. Your father was like that as a child. If his parents had introduced a sensible and respectful system to tone it down, he wouldn't be like this as an adult.

Another possible angle is that he has got talkative with age.

The only solution I can think of is to take him like that. Don't always turn away so quickly when he starts chatting. I am telling you, when eventually he goes, you will miss the chatting. It has always been the cases of people who had complained to me about talkative loved ones. When the loved one dies, they miss them so terribly.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

His Maid Is Pregnant For Him And He Wants Abortion / What I Experienced In My Friend's House. / My 5 yr old Cousin Behaves like Ancestor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.