Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,170 members, 7,815,093 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:10 AM

Because Ojukwu Was Involved. - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Because Ojukwu Was Involved. (7716 Views)

Awolowo Asked Ojukwu To Be Open And Forthright . But Ojukwu Was Trying To Do Wuru Wuru Backroom Deals / Ojukwu Was Forced To Defend His People, Says Tinubu / In London, Ojukwu Was Lonely, Dumb – Igwe Nwokedi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Because Ojukwu Was Involved. by aloyemeka2: 7:35pm On Feb 07, 2010
mekuszyx:

Some very great photos grin
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-393054.0.html

How is that picture connected to this thread. Can you accord that man some respect please. He hasn't even been buried yet. Geez. embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: Because Ojukwu Was Involved. by Shoot2Kill: 7:35pm On Feb 07, 2010
SEFAGO:

t.

Proof? Unsubstantiated statement grin What up will all these omoibo lies?

Chai bros u wicked o!  grin

It quite true ,it is not properly documented but i read about it a few years back. i can't seem to find the exact article but let me show one of the recent pics i can find of those buildings :

http://sugabelly..com/search?updated-max=2009-12-14T20%3A55%3A00-05%3A00&max-results=7
Re: Because Ojukwu Was Involved. by mekuszyx: 7:36pm On Feb 07, 2010
Re: Because Ojukwu Was Involved. by SEFAGO(m): 7:42pm On Feb 07, 2010
Shoot2Kill:

Chai bros u wicked o!  grin

It quite true ,it is not properly documented but i read about it a few years back. i can't seem to find the exact article but let me show one of the recent pics i can find of those buildings :

http://sugabelly..com/search?updated-max=2009-12-14T20%3A55%3A00-05%3A00&max-results=7

No, its not true except it is documented. The problem is that this is quite common- nigerians of all ethnic groups claiming to be the first africans. Of all the countries in Africa, it is always the yoruba and the igbo claiming to be the first millionaire, the first doctor, the first lawyer, the first cab driver, the first 419 artist (Of course we chop that one), the first bicycle rider, the first African  owner of a TV- they are always claimed by Nigerians grin

What about Egypt, Ghana, Senegal and a host of other African cultures- na u dey all be the first.
Re: Because Ojukwu Was Involved. by Nobody: 7:45pm On Feb 07, 2010
SEFAGO:

No, its not true except it is documented. The problem is that this is quite common- nigerians of all ethnic groups claiming to be the first africans. Of all the countries in Africa, it is always the yoruba and the igbo claiming to be the first millionaire, the first doctor, the first lawyer, the first cab driver, the first 419 artist (Of course we chop that one), the first bicycle rider, the first African  owner of a TV- they are always claimed by Nigerians grin

What about Egypt, Ghana, Senegal and a host of other African cultures- na u dey all be the first.
no mind them with their useless claims.i d i o t s
Re: Because Ojukwu Was Involved. by mekuszyx: 7:46pm On Feb 07, 2010
SEFAGO:

No, its not true except it is documented. The problem is that this is quite common- nigerians of all ethnic groups claiming to be the first africans. Of all the countries in Africa, it is always the yoruba and the igbo claiming to be the first millionaire, the first doctor, the first lawyer, the first cab driver, the first 419 artist (Of course we chop that one), the first bicycle rider, the first African  owner of a TV- they are always claimed by Nigerians grin

Did anyone claim Ojukwu's father was the first African millionaire? If so, that will be preposterous since we do not know much about other Africans as of prior to the 1960s. As for me I have always read that he is the first in Nigeria. I like to restrict myself to Nigeria except where the data is clear for the whole AFrica. This is unlike Yoruba-run Yabatech that claimed to be the third oldest in Africa and 27th in the world grin grin
Re: Because Ojukwu Was Involved. by EzeUche(m): 7:47pm On Feb 07, 2010
I think this competition amongst the Ndi Igbo and the Yoruba is very healthy.

It keeps both of our groups on our toes. That is why I wouldn't mind forming a nation with the Yoruba. The competition would be intense.  grin

IGBO BU EZE!
Re: Because Ojukwu Was Involved. by mekuszyx: 7:50pm On Feb 07, 2010
Sefago, Bluetooth, Roadstar, etc
Seriously, jokes aside, do you know of any Yoruba milionaire during the time that Ojukwu's father was making his money? Please educate us so we know. No harm in knowledge sharing. Thanks.
Re: Because Ojukwu Was Involved. by MrCrackles(m): 7:51pm On Feb 07, 2010
mekuszyx:

Seriously, jokes aside, do you know of any Yoruba milionaire during the time that Ojukwu's father was making his money? Please educate us so we know. No harm in knowledge sharing. Thanks.
What stupid millions are you talking about?
Are you insane?
Millions in cowries or pebbles?
Re: Because Ojukwu Was Involved. by RoadStar: 7:51pm On Feb 07, 2010
This is a man that went and shamelessly befriended and married a beauty queen his daughter age.
His friends daughter.
With Igbo people beating up songs of praise for him.

What else do u need 2 know that this is a very self centred man.
Re: Because Ojukwu Was Involved. by adconline(m): 7:54pm On Feb 07, 2010
[b]Like Odutola, Louis Ojukwu attained prominence as an astute businessman and one of the first millionaires the country produced. Born in 1909, the native of Nnewi, Anambra State rose to become a director in various Nigerian companies and also won a parliamentary seat during the nation’s First Republic. Following his primary and secondary education in Asaba, Delta State, Ojukwu started his professional career at the Agricultural Department before leaving to join John Holt as a tyre sales clerk. He also incorporated a textile company in Onitsha to supplement his income during this period, already exhibiting a little bit of his entrepreneurial spirit. While at John Holt, he noticed the severe strain that lack of adequate transportation network had on Eastern textile traders. He later left John Holt to create a transport company to improve the trading environment for Nigerian traders.

His transport company, founded as Ojukwu Transport Company in 1934, later extended its activities into construction and other sectors thereby growing into a multi-million naira group with thousands of workers in its employ.

As a transport operator, he was a tireless worker and meticulous to detail; he was usually the first to inspect his transport vehicles for oil and leakages. Apart from his work ethic, his success was also oiled by the economic boom after World War II, working with the West African Railway Company and the newly inaugurated produce boards; he provided his fleet for commodity transportation and for other traders’ use. During the 1950s, he diversified his interest, bought some industries, invested heavily in the real estate sector and became a director in numerous major corporations. He was a member of the board of Nigerian Coal Corporation, Shell Oil D’Archy, and African Continental Bank. Ojukwu was perhaps, the wealthiest Nigerian of his generation: a multi-millionaire businessman, who was chairman of UAC (West Africa), the Nigerian Stock Exchange, director of Shell-BP with vast ownership of investment property in Lagos, Kano, Port-Harcourt, Enugu, Onitsha, among others. He owned controlling shares in many top blue-chip corporations that still operate in Nigeria today. Until his death in 1966, the multi-millionaire remained a titan in the nation’s business community. [/b]

http://www.thenationonlineng.com/dynamicpage.asp?id=67366
Re: Because Ojukwu Was Involved. by mekuszyx: 7:54pm On Feb 07, 2010
MrCrackles:

What silly millions are you talking about?
Are you insane?
Millions in cowries or pebbles?
Imbe-cile. Nigeria was using British pounds as far back as after 1914. Was Ojukwu's father doing business with Shell and other multinationals back then with cowries and pebbles? Bloody eediot grin
Re: Because Ojukwu Was Involved. by mekuszyx: 7:55pm On Feb 07, 2010
Ojukwu Jr. was among the few students and certainly the only Nigerian student riding an impressive car back then at Oxford university.
Re: Because Ojukwu Was Involved. by Shoot2Kill: 7:56pm On Feb 07, 2010
mekuszyx:

More on Ojukwu here
http://www.africansuccess.org/visuFiche.php?id=361&lang=en

Mekus did you read this part in your link ?

After 13 years in exile, the Federal Government of Nigeria under President Shehu Aliyu Usman Shagari granted an official pardon and opened the road for a triumphant return in 1982. His people of Nnewi gave him the now very famous title of “Ikemba,” while the entire Igbo nation called him “Dikedioramma” (Beloved hero). He was indeed a beloved hero. His foray into politics was disappointing to many, who wanted him to stay above the fray. Afraid of his supposedly overbearing and enigmatic influence, the ruling party, NPN, rigged him out of the senate seat, which was purportedly lost to a little known state commissioner in then Governor Jim Nwobodo's cabinet called Dr. Edwin Onwudiwe.
Re: Because Ojukwu Was Involved. by SEFAGO(m): 7:57pm On Feb 07, 2010
mekuszyx:

Did anyone claim Ojukwu's father was the first African millionaire? If so, that will be preposterous since we do not know much about other Africans as of prior to the 1960s. As for me[b] I have always read[/b] that he is the first in Nigeria. I like to restrict myself to Nigeria except where the data is clear for the whole AFrica. This is unlike Yoruba-run Yabatech that claimed to be the third oldest in Africa and 27th in the world grin grin

Read where? Did they go to his bank to verify this claim? Or was it Ojukwu's father who told people he was the first millionaire?  

mekuszyx:

I dont make unsubstantiated claim. There might have been some i dont know. But case in point, Ojukwu's father might not have been a millionaire.

Like Odutola, Louis Ojukwu attained prominence as an astute businessman and one of the first millionaires the country produced

I have heard of odutola, but like ojukwu his claims are unsubstantiated. What one should say, is that they were one of the richest men in Nigeria during their time not the first yada yada
Re: Because Ojukwu Was Involved. by MrCrackles(m): 7:57pm On Feb 07, 2010
mekuszyx:

Imbe-cile. Nigeria was using British pounds as far back as after 1914. Was Ojukwu's father doing business with Shell and other multinationals back then with cowries and pebbles. Bloody eediot grin
You are a celebrated fuc./ktard. . .
Were you there at the time when Ojukwu's father was making the so called millions?
Put hard facts up here or nosedive into a pile of cow dung, you raaasclat!!
Vagabonds and oxymorons are fond of chatting shit on a public forum. . . .
Dingbat!
Re: Because Ojukwu Was Involved. by RoadStar: 7:58pm On Feb 07, 2010
I know that Ojukwus father was probably the richest man in Nigeria (although undocumented)through hard work and diligence.
But this 1diot of a son squandered it and the man died heartbroken just because of the mans selfishness.
He wanted to be a head of state by all means.
If Ojukwus father was alive he would tell you that his son is a curse!
Re: Because Ojukwu Was Involved. by mekuszyx: 7:58pm On Feb 07, 2010
MrCrackles:

You are a celebrated fuc./ktard. . .
Were you there at the time when Ojukwu's father was making the so called millions?
Put hard facts up here or nosedive into a pile of cow dung, you raaasclat!!
Vagabonds and oxymorons are fond of chatting poo on a public forum. . . .
Dingbat!

I have shown you links. slowpoke. Read them or if you cannot ask your father where he was when Ojukwu senior was making his millions. Ode omo ole.
Re: Because Ojukwu Was Involved. by Shoot2Kill: 7:59pm On Feb 07, 2010
SEFAGO:

No, its not true except it is documented. The problem is that this is quite common- nigerians of all ethnic groups claiming to be the first africans. Of all the countries in Africa, it is always the yoruba and the igbo claiming to be the first millionaire, the first doctor, the first lawyer, the first cab driver, the first 419 artist (Of course we chop that one), the first bicycle rider, the first African  owner of a TV- they are always claimed by Nigerians grin

Na so o!  grin  cheesy  wink  smiley  grin  cool  smiley  wink  cheesy  grin
Re: Because Ojukwu Was Involved. by Eziachi: 8:00pm On Feb 07, 2010
sjeezy8:

THE  threat of civil war or some kind of conflict if Apga didnt win Point blank. It would have been good if  Ngige or even Soludo  won because both are good and have support outside the SE- which is great.

Just dont expect any presido coming from the Apga platform - because its more of an SE party, not really a national party like AC or PDP.

Like Obasanjo and Tinubu told the SW there is no room for Afenifere/AD in "Nigeria" and its true.

Unfortunately for you, it is up to Easterners to choose who rules them and not outsiders. Today some of you are showing your true colours. An election is held and result was known within hours and no lose of life, no electoral returning officer running to Abuja to be told who should be the winner after weeks of manipulations, no more imaginary landslide victories with millions of mirage votes and still people like you are not happy.
What do you guys want from us? If we are clothe you are not happy, if we are naked you laughed at our unclothedness too.

It seems we can't win with you guys, if the election was marred with violence, people like you can't stop yourself by now parroting your Igbo is divided epistle. But since our  people conducted themselves , now your attention has shifted to melancholy of knowing better  than our people regarding what they want.
This is madness!!
Re: Because Ojukwu Was Involved. by mekuszyx: 8:01pm On Feb 07, 2010
Shoot2Kill:

Mekus did you read this part in your link ?

After 13 years in exile, the Federal Government of Nigeria under President Shehu Aliyu Usman Shagari granted an official pardon and opened the road for a triumphant return in 1982. His people of Nnewi gave him the now very famous title of “Ikemba,” while the entire Igbo nation called him “Dikedioramma” (Beloved hero). He was indeed a beloved hero. His foray into politics was disappointing to many, who wanted him to stay above the fray. Afraid of his supposedly overbearing and enigmatic influence, the ruling party, NPN, rigged him out of the senate seat, which was purportedly lost to a little known state commissioner in then Governor Jim Nwobodo's cabinet called Dr. Edwin Onwudiwe.

I was not talking about Ojukwu jnr. My reference was on the little part of the article about Ojukwu snr. Thanks.
Re: Because Ojukwu Was Involved. by Shoot2Kill: 8:04pm On Feb 07, 2010
Mekus ,what about Mr mobolaji Bank Anthony,he was well documented and known:

Sir Mobolaji Bank-Anthony was a company director whose many business connections and social standing placed him in a position of great influence, although he never involved himself in party politics.Son of Mr. Anthony Bank-Anthony of Lagos, one of the country's pioneers in business, Sir Mobolaji was born in Leopoldville (now Kinshasa ), on June 11, 1907.

After attending kindergarten schools in Calabar, Nigeria and Lagos, Sir Mobolaji went to the Methodist Boys' High School and CMS Grammar School both in Lagos, and the Ijebu-Ode Grammar School in Ijebu-Ode. He joined the posts and Telegraphs Department as a clerk in 1924, resigning eight years later to work with his father in Lagos.

Sir Mobolaji set up his own business the following year, after a business trip to Germany. 'I started as a hawker of medicine and watches', he once said . 'By the end of World War II, I found myself in a good position and started to expand.'

Within four years he had floated four enterprises- The Nigerian Marble Industries, M. de Banks Transport (road transport), M. de Banks Brothers ( general merchants ) and Boroni Prono, Nigeria (construction). At the end of 1966, Sir Mobolaji was either chairman or director of over a dozen companies. Among them were Mobil Oil Nigeria, British Insulated Callender Cables, Pressed Metal Works, the Aero Contractors Company of Nigeria and the Tourist Company of Nigeria.

Sir Mobolaji was awarded the OBE in 1958 and knighted by Queen Elizabeth II in 1962 for his public services to Nigeria. A Christian and philantrophist, Sir Mobolaji was the president of the Lagos branch of the Young Men's Christian Association.

http://www.onlinenigeria.com/people/ad.asp?blurb=57

Re: Because Ojukwu Was Involved. by MrCrackles(m): 8:04pm On Feb 07, 2010
mekuszyx:

I have shown you links. slowpoke. Read them or if you cannot ask your father where he was when Ojukwu senior was making his millions. Ode omo ole.
Look dude, whenever we debate or have a convo about anything up here, dont EVER bring my parents into it. . . .Ever!!!
This is all about me and you. . . So deal with that or flipping get lost, you fu/cking bellend!!
Re: Because Ojukwu Was Involved. by Eziachi: 8:12pm On Feb 07, 2010
Shoot2Kill:

I support sjeezy on this one.Dude take a look at Ekiti, you will realize that in Yoruba land there are no clear leaders. The fight in Yorubaland now is between the old generation and the younger generation.

We the young generation of Yorubaland refuse to bow to the older unintelligent generation and I hope the IGBOS will follow suite as this is the only way we can right the wrongs of the past and repair the tribal divisions that has plagued Nigeria.

Ojukwu may be alive but he represents the Old era of Nigeria that allowed the unjust massacre of IGBOs all in the name of power. My comments show that i wish Anambra the best, I want Anambra and other states of Nigeria to have a Governor that is as good or even better than fashola so that the whole of Nigeria can develop and progress at a rapid rate.
grin grin
You guy don't stop to amaze me. So all these yapping about Igbo is divided, has no leader, OJukwu is disliked by his people no longer count anymore because the out come of the election did not suit your agenda of waiting to pounce to tell us how Ojukwu had been ignored by his people had it been that Obi lost?
That is what all this attention towards Ojukwu is all about all of a sudden.
All of a sudden, you are now telling us about old and new Yoruba generation. Who are this new Yoruba generation if I may ask? Being an elder is all of a sudden a bad thing, something you kept on about Igbo all the time about respecting elders? Suddenly it's no longer fashionable, just people Anambra people made a choice that was endorsed by their icon?

If you can't value an old generation like Ikemba, how can you value a new one? All the candidates in this election will die to have his endorsement.
If Fshola is great and valued as you preaching, who are those trying to impeach him? Hypocrites!!
Those who always value the only yam from their farm but call others useless tuber. It is not Ikembas duty or job to alleviate anybody's poverty or problem, that is down to those the people pays their taxes to, that is their job.
As for his legacy, just leave that to those it concerned and concentrate on what legacy your own father will leave behind instead of what it will be for another person's father or leader. Fix your own problem first, before branching to fix others, especially when you are not asked.
Haba!
Re: Because Ojukwu Was Involved. by Nobody: 8:20pm On Feb 07, 2010
Adeola Odutola, late industrialist and
philanthropist had to deal in fishing nets for
the middle and lower classes in his town's
riverine areas. He sold gas lamps to
churches and damask materials to the upper
class. It was in those days when a modest
beginning was adjudged worthy
prerequisite to the good life. For Odutola, it
worked a timeless magic.
From the sale of fishing nets, gas lamps and
damask materials, he was able to build a
network of clients across theA various
social classes. Soon, he became notable
among his patrons and the rest of his Ijebu
Ode, Ogun State townsfolk, began to
depend upon the late businessman for their
needs.
Thus began the evolution of a Southwest
industrialist. Odutola's quest to better his lot
soon translated into success as he rose to
become a titan in the Nigerian business
community.
However, he started from humble
beginnings. “The society into which Odutola
was born on June 16, 1902, was by all
standards, a society in transition, torn
between traditional systems of authority
and the emerging influence of the
colonialists. It was, however, a different
time altogether. There was no electricity, no
pipe borne water and many of the roads
today were non-existent, noted Reuben
Abati, a journalist and late Sesan Ajayi in
Odutola: The Biography of T. Adeola
Odutola. According to the authors, at his
birth, no comets were seen, neither was
there any subtle indication of his birth to
the world. Save the shrieks of his parents,
the world was oblivious to the arrival of the
newborn.
Nevertheless, Sanni and Sabinah, Odutola's
parents had great hopes for him. As their
eldest son, they sought to educate him.
Thus when he turned seven, they registered
him at St. Saviour's School, Italupe; a
missionary school. Then, he proceeded to
Ijebu-Ode Grammar School, Ijebu-Ode,
where he spent four years until he dropped
out. The death of his father during this
period put much pressure on him and his
family. He therefore, couldn't complete his
education. Consequently, he left Ijebu-Ode
to seek greener pastures in Lagos.
In Lagos, he worked a series of white collar
jobs until he got a job offer through Ade
Fowokan, his friend based in Ijebu-Ode.
Fowokan assisted his return to Ijebu-Ode to
work as a Tax Collector with the Ijebu
Native Administration.
Having established himself in his town’s
civil service, Odutola, eager for self
actualization in the world of commerce,
invested in the importation of damask, silk,
cloth, gas lamps and fishing nets. This gave
him the opportunity to establish a network
of customers and acquaintances. Gas lamps,
in particular, brought him much popularity;
in no time, he had almost virtually
monopolised the sale of gas lamps. It was
also by this time, in 1922, that Odutola took
a wife.
His foray into buying and selling soon
became more profitable as he expanded his
business to the exportation of cocoa and
palm produce. In 1925, he teamed up with
his younger brother, Jimoh Akintola
Odutola. The two of them established
Odutola Brothers – a multi-purpose
company which, apart from general
commerce, also mined gold in Ilesha, Osun
State.
Odutola expanded his business by
venturing into the local sale and exportation
of palm kernel, palm Oil, Kola nuts and
Cocoa. His local clients included UAC, John
Holt, and A.K. Zard. He also exported produce
to Germany, the United Kingdom and the
United States. One of the companies with
which he had a meaningful and lasting
relationship at the time was Busi and
Stephenson Company of Liverpool. To this
company, until he withdrew from produce
business, Odutola sold cocoa.
By the late thirties, Odutola had built two
gigantic cocoa stores, off Degun Street in
Ijebu-Ode. The stores served as a storage
facility not only for cocoa but for all other
produce.
As a produce merchant, he was outstanding.
Through hard work, he had been able to do
well, and hold his own in an area where
foreign multi-nationals, like UAC and John
Holt, enjoyed a near monopoly. By then, he
was already wealthy; and well-known. He
was one of the very few Nigerians, apart
from foreign residents, who could boast of
owning a car.
A car was a status symbol then and Odutola
was one of the first few Nigerian
millionaires who owned cars. Others were
Sir Louis Odimegwu Ojukwu, father of the
ex-Biafran warlord, Emeka Ojukwu.
Odimegwu owned an Austin with
registration number L 7500; Alhaji Alhassan
Dantata had a Morris car registered K3. The
Emir of Kano also owned a car. There was
also Nnamdi Azikiwe who went about in a
small Austin. Rev. and Mrs. Ransome-Kuti of
Abeokuta Grammar School, Abeokuta, also
later acquired a car, a tireless Ford Prefect
with registration number AB 640. The more
usual thing then was that cars were owned
by the District Officers and key foreign
residents.
Odutola later diversified into timber
business and rubber plantation. He invested
in public transportation and tyre re-
threading business in Nigeria. In 1945, he
established the Secondary Commercial
College, with a total of 16 students, thus
sowing the seed for the Adeola Odutola
Comprehensive College, an Ijebu-Ode-based
school. The new school became operational
in February 1964.
In 1949, he registered a company known as
Odutola Tyresoles Company and set up a
factory in Ibadan. In 1967, Odutola became
interested in the manufacturing of bicycle
tyres and tubes. To take care of this, he set
up Odutola Nigerian Industries Limited in
Ijebu-Ode. The company manufactured
bicycle and motorcycle tyres and tubes.
Odutola continued to diversify. In 1979, he
set up a factory, again in Ijebu-Ode, known
as Odutola Food Industries Ltd. Odutola also
established Continental Breweries Limited,
manufacturers of "33" lager beer.
Until his death on April 13, 1995, Odutola
remained an embodiment of success and a
challenge to his peers and underlings.
mekuszyx:

Re: Because Ojukwu Was Involved. by oderemo(m): 8:25pm On Feb 07, 2010
as usual this peter obi victory has degenerated from celebration to chief gburubguru ojukwu being a coward or otherwise to name calling and personal insult. when do we learn .
are you guys better than the politician s we all prefare to wipe our shoes on. i hope you guys will sleep well cover in insult quilt.
Re: Because Ojukwu Was Involved. by adconline(m): 8:32pm On Feb 07, 2010
so are we now saying that Sir Mobolaji was not a millionaire simply because no forensic accounts peeped into his bank accounts? Or maybe Shakespeare was  never a good writer, because he never won  a Noble Prize in Literature?Maybe Kingdom of Songhay was not the richest in anciet Africa simply because there  was no Forbes List to track their wealth. It's silly how folks use knowledge inversely in order to sound "smart". But how could someone buy shares in Mobil, John Holt, UAC. Shell without knowing the value of those shares?
Re: Because Ojukwu Was Involved. by Shoot2Kill: 8:33pm On Feb 07, 2010
Eziachi:

grin grin
You guy don't stop to amaze me. So all these yapping about Igbo is divided, has no leader, OJukwu is disliked by his people no longer count anymore because the out come of the election did not suit your agenda of waiting to pounce to tell us how Ojukwu had been ignored by his people had it been that Obi lost?
That is what all this attention towards Ojukwu is all about all of a sudden.
All of a sudden, you are now telling us about old and new Yoruba generation. Who are this new Yoruba generation if I may ask? Being an elder is all of a sudden a bad thing, something you kept on about Igbo all the time about respecting elders? Suddenly it's no longer fashionable, just people Anambra people made a choice that was endorsed by their icon?

If you can't value an old generation like Ikemba, how can you value a new one? All the candidates in this election will die to have his endorsement.
If Fshola is great and valued as you preaching, who are those trying to impeach him? Hypocrites!!
Those who always value the only yam from their farm but call others useless tuber. It is not Ikembas duty or job to alleviate anybody's poverty or problem, that is down to those the people pays their taxes to, that is their job.
As for his legacy, just leave that to those it concerned and concentrate on what legacy your own father will leave behind instead of what it will be for another person's father or leader. Fix your own problem first, before branching to fix others, especially when you are not asked.
Haba!

You are an I D I O T for mentioning my father. My father is dead and his legacy lives on .He was a very popular lawyer and he did something in Nigeria that i am sure he is well remembered for(and no i am not talking about Gani or bola Ige). He also contributed to the liberation of Nigeria from the British while your Ojukwu was still a youngster so don’t even go there. Do a research on the Olora of Ekiti and you will know who my father was.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Because Ojukwu Was Involved. by Eziachi: 8:36pm On Feb 07, 2010
SEFAGO:

Tangible proof? Was he in forbes richest african list or punch richest african list grin, how do you know?

How ignorant can you you be? How old is Forbe himself and how long has Forbe magazine and it publish of rich list existed? Why not ask us why Nigerian sun Newspaper didn't cover Nigeria independent event of 1960, even when the publisher wasn't born then , let alone the newspaper. Hatred turns people mind like a spin.
Re: Because Ojukwu Was Involved. by mekuszyx: 8:42pm On Feb 07, 2010
Crackles,

Your forbearer is a thief. Deal with or take a dive. Incompetent village urchin.
Re: Because Ojukwu Was Involved. by mekuszyx: 8:43pm On Feb 07, 2010
Thanks. Now are these people millionaires? If so, is there are record that they were millionaires before Ojukwu senior? Note that it does not matter in which curency one is a millionaire (then). Most people back then will be very poor that the few rich ones in whatever currency can easily be distinguished.
~Bluetooth:

Adeola Odutola, late industrialist and
philanthropist had to deal in fishing nets for
the middle and lower classes in his town's
riverine areas. He sold gas lamps to
churches and damask materials to the upper
class. It was in those days when a modest
beginning was adjudged worthy
prerequisite to the good life. For Odutola, it
worked a timeless magic.
From the sale of fishing nets, gas lamps and
damask materials, he was able to build a
network of clients across theA various
social classes. Soon, he became notable
among his patrons and the rest of his Ijebu
Ode, Ogun State townsfolk, began to
depend upon the late businessman for their
needs.
Thus began the evolution of a Southwest
industrialist. Odutola's quest to better his lot
soon translated into success as he rose to
become a titan in the Nigerian business
community.
However, he started from humble
beginnings. “The society into which Odutola
was born on June 16, 1902, was by all
standards, a society in transition, torn
between traditional systems of authority
and the emerging influence of the
colonialists. It was, however, a different
time altogether. There was no electricity, no
pipe borne water and many of the roads
today were non-existent, noted Reuben
Abati, a journalist and late Sesan Ajayi in
Odutola: The Biography of T. Adeola
Odutola. According to the authors, at his
birth, no comets were seen, neither was
there any subtle indication of his birth to
the world. Save the shrieks of his parents,
the world was oblivious to the arrival of the
newborn.
Nevertheless, Sanni and Sabinah, Odutola's
parents had great hopes for him. As their
eldest son, they sought to educate him.
Thus when he turned seven, they registered
him at St. Saviour's School, Italupe; a
missionary school. Then, he proceeded to
Ijebu-Ode Grammar School, Ijebu-Ode,
where he spent four years until he dropped
out. The death of his father during this
period put much pressure on him and his
family. He therefore, couldn't complete his
education. Consequently, he left Ijebu-Ode
to seek greener pastures in Lagos.
In Lagos, he worked a series of white collar
jobs until he got a job offer through Ade
Fowokan, his friend based in Ijebu-Ode.
Fowokan assisted his return to Ijebu-Ode to
work as a Tax Collector with the Ijebu
Native Administration.
Having established himself in his town’s
civil service, Odutola, eager for self
actualization in the world of commerce,
invested in the importation of damask, silk,
cloth, gas lamps and fishing nets. This gave
him the opportunity to establish a network
of customers and acquaintances. Gas lamps,
in particular, brought him much popularity;
in no time, he had almost virtually
monopolised the sale of gas lamps. It was
also by this time, in 1922, that Odutola took
a wife.
His foray into buying and selling soon
became more profitable as he expanded his
business to the exportation of cocoa and
palm produce. In 1925, he teamed up with
his younger brother, Jimoh Akintola
Odutola. The two of them established
Odutola Brothers – a multi-purpose
company which, apart from general
commerce, also mined gold in Ilesha, Osun
State.
Odutola expanded his business by
venturing into the local sale and exportation
of palm kernel, palm Oil, Kola nuts and
Cocoa. His local clients included UAC, John
Holt, and A.K. Zard. He also exported produce
to Germany, the United Kingdom and the
United States. One of the companies with
which he had a meaningful and lasting
relationship at the time was Busi and
Stephenson Company of Liverpool. To this
company, until he withdrew from produce
business, Odutola sold cocoa.
By the late thirties, Odutola had built two
gigantic cocoa stores, off Degun Street in
Ijebu-Ode. The stores served as a storage
facility not only for cocoa but for all other
produce.
As a produce merchant, he was outstanding.
Through hard work, he had been able to do
well, and hold his own in an area where
foreign multi-nationals, like UAC and John
Holt, enjoyed a near monopoly. By then, he
was already wealthy; and well-known. He
was one of the very few Nigerians, apart
from foreign residents, who could boast of
owning a car.
A car was a status symbol then and Odutola
was one of the first few Nigerian
millionaires who owned cars. Others were
Sir Louis Odimegwu Ojukwu, father of the
ex-Biafran warlord, Emeka Ojukwu.
Odimegwu owned an Austin with
registration number L 7500; Alhaji Alhassan
Dantata had a Morris car registered K3. The
Emir of Kano also owned a car. There was
also Nnamdi Azikiwe who went about in a
small Austin. Rev. and Mrs. Ransome-Kuti of
Abeokuta Grammar School, Abeokuta, also
later acquired a car, a tireless Ford Prefect
with registration number AB 640. The more
usual thing then was that cars were owned
by the District Officers and key foreign
residents.
Odutola later diversified into timber
business and rubber plantation. He invested
in public transportation and tyre re-
threading business in Nigeria. In 1945, he
established the Secondary Commercial
College, with a total of 16 students, thus
sowing the seed for the Adeola Odutola
Comprehensive College, an Ijebu-Ode-based
school. The new school became operational
in February 1964.
In 1949, he registered a company known as
Odutola Tyresoles Company and set up a
factory in Ibadan. In 1967, Odutola became
interested in the manufacturing of bicycle
tyres and tubes. To take care of this, he set
up Odutola Nigerian Industries Limited in
Ijebu-Ode. The company manufactured
bicycle and motorcycle tyres and tubes.
Odutola continued to diversify. In 1979, he
set up a factory, again in Ijebu-Ode, known
as Odutola Food Industries Ltd. Odutola also
established Continental Breweries Limited,
manufacturers of "33" lager beer.
Until his death on April 13, 1995, Odutola
remained an embodiment of success and a
challenge to his peers and underlings.
Re: Because Ojukwu Was Involved. by Nobody: 8:44pm On Feb 07, 2010
mekuszyx:

Born August 24, 1937 to a poor
family in Abeokuta, Ogun State, Abiola
received his primary education at Baptist
Boys’ High School and earned a scholarship
to attend the University of Glasgow,
Scotland, where he received a degree in
Economics. Abiola was raised in the Yoruba
Muslim faith; and he died a practising
Muslim.
He amassed a fortune via his involvement
in certain industries including publishing,
communications, and oil. With his
educational background he easily got the
position of deputy chief accountant with
the Lagos University Teaching Hospital,
LUTH, where he served between 1965 and
1967. Then he became Controller of Pfizer
Products, Ltd. between 1967 and 1969. In
1969, he became the Controller of
International Telephone and Telegraph (ITT),
Nigeria, Limited and rose to become vice
president for ITT’s Africa and Middle East
branch. He was also chairman and chief
executive officer of ITT Nigeria Limited
from 1972 through 1988. During this
period, Abiola founded and sat as Chairman
of CPN and served as chief executive officer
at Radio Communications Nigeria, RCN. While
employed with ITT, he was frequently
admonished by the general public due to
the dreadful condition of the Nigerian
telephone system. Abiola’s detractors claim
he profited financially at the expense of the
citizens by using inferior materials and
keeping extra profits for himself; charges
he vehemently denied.
Much of Abiola’s fortune, estimated at $2
billion, was generously distributed among
his needy country folk. He is said to have
sponsored over 2,500 students through the
university system.
His generosity was understandable as
having come from a poor background,
Abiola thought it fair to be generous to the
poor and needy. This took the form of bulk
buys of rice and tinned milk, to constructing
new wings for tertiary institutions. He also
awarded scholarships from his personal
fortune. Abiola made such gestures
nationwide and did not limit them to his
ethnic or geographic group. He had contacts
and friends within and outside the country
and Nigerians hoped that Abiola’s
stupendous wealth would prevent him from
falling victim to temptation and loot the
treasury if voted as president, thus the
overwhelming support for his candidature
at the June 12, 1993 presidential elections

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Goodluck Ebele Jonathan / Jonathan Breaks Silence On Bayelsa Crisis, Knocks Sy / Akpabio's Hospitals...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 127
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.