Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,069 members, 7,814,691 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 05:30 PM

Awolowo Had No Equal - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Awolowo Had No Equal (29605 Views)

See A Photo Of N1 Note That Was Used In 1979 When $1 Was Equal To N0.647 / awolowo had no power to remove Western nigeria from Nigeria. Only Ademusiwa has / Eze:awolowo Had Nothing To Do With Biafra,gowon Who Lead The Killing 1 Million (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (27) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by sjeezy8: 7:54pm On Jun 04, 2010
Dede1:

Who are you trying to fool with this silly Lagos Island crap? I do not think history is your strong forte. Do you know how many capitals the Protectorates had before independence? You are deranged.

lol you dey vex about "Lagos Island" because you are wrong. No be big deal just admit you are wrong and move on.

Lagos island- capital
Agege, ikorodu, ikeja epe etc . . . - Western Government
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by SEFAGO(m): 7:58pm On Jun 04, 2010
From onlytruth

@

Bros Dede1, you better believe what you read from that two faced character. I don't know what he knows about the USA, but he fails to see that President Obama was born in Hawaii but contested for US Senate and presidency from Illinois; Secretary of State Hillary Clinton is from Texas, but represented New York in Senate. I can go on.

This has major flaws. In case you dont know Obama was a professor at UChicago so it would make sense for him to represent Illinois. Hilary Clinton (Not fro Texas) has to base her residence in New York. Basically even in the US you need to establish residency of a state before you can run. Why? So that you can connect with your constituency
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Sauron1: 7:58pm On Jun 04, 2010
Katsumoto:

That Ibadan is in a poor state today is not Awo's fault. That is down to years of degenerate leadership in Oyo state. Adedibu was the power broker in oyo state and even a child born yesterday knows that he was no Awo. Ibadan was once a nice city.

Besides what was so tough about Awo letting lagos island become the capital? If you ask me, It was a smart move.

Awolowo died in 1987 and yet he's responsible for the 23 years' rot Ibadan has degenerated into.
Conveniently forgetting the first TV station, the premier university and cocoa house were all situated in Ibadan.
I think i need to leave this debate here. . . . . .The guys i am debating with are grossly intellectually sterile.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by gbaski2010: 7:58pm On Jun 04, 2010
anyone with good information on awolowo and the alafin of oyo  story?
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Justcash(m): 8:01pm On Jun 04, 2010
Let the truth be said;

Was Awolowo a pro-developmental leader?

Answer: Oh yes! One of the most developmental leaders of any tribe in Nigeria. His developmental Foresight, educational provisions and general stride with technological advancement were true evidence of my assertion.

Was Awolowo a Nationalistic leader?

Answer: Hell no! He was more concerned about his ethnic group than Nigeria as a whole. His developmental efforts were directed to the benefit of his ethnic group and region, with little to show for national development. It is a well known fact that he was a symbol of the Yoruba's political might in the post-colonial days.

Was Awolowo the greatest leader in Nigeria?

Answer: Nope! If you are talking about Nigeria as a whole, he is not. He is the greatest leader of his tribe and region not Nigeria as a whole. The north would claim that Tafawa balewa/Ahmaedu bello and other northern leaders were the greatest leaders in Nigeria. The Igbos would claim that about Ojukwu. So it is not surprising that Yorubas see Awolowo as the greatest leader Nigeria has ever had. However, he is not. In terms of nationalistic leadership qualities, Nnamdi Azikiwe was a better leader than Awolowo. This is why many Igbos including me don't like him. Igbos feel that he was a fool by sacrificing alot for Nigeria's unity, while his mates were standing for their ethnic groups and region.

Was Awolowo an important player in Nigeria's unity?

Answer: Oh yes! He was. When he refused to declare a separate country for the western region, and instead decided to forgive the people that imprisoned him against the people that released him, he actually preserved Nigeria as a country. He was however seen as a "Coward" and "Ungrateful" individual by the Igbos after that event. However, he helped to keep Nigeria one by doing that.

Was Awolowo a Bad or Good man?

Answer: It is relative. To the Yorubas and Hausa/fulanis, he was a Sweetheart and a symbol of a true leader. To the Igbos and most eastern tribes, he was a Coward, a saboteur and a devil in the making. Nothing can change these perceptions, no matter how much you argue.

I am Igbo, So you should know how I feel about him. That being said, the truth has to be told.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by akigbemaru: 8:01pm On Jun 04, 2010
[font=Lucida Sans Unicode]To all Ibos from villages, I know the ones who have emigrated to other regions or different places see things in a more liberalized way than you. It amounts to a greater sin for some people or a group wanting to canonize a saint as evil. Awo has left a giant step in the sand of a time in Africa and world at large, just like any of our great leaders like Saudana and Azikwue.  If Mr. Tony who is nobody could open his big mouth to rant likes a delusional dog, which signals his parochial way of thinking. I am not available at this time to throw tantrums on NVS, but I may not sit idly to succumb to your errant drivels about our beloved Pa. Awolowo.[/font]

It is amazing how misinformed some Nigerians are, about their national politics both past and present, such is the case of Tony;
claiming
“History records that Awolowo introduced tribalism into Nigeria when he conspired with some Yoruba candidates who had won a majority of the seats in the Western region under the platform of Ziks NCNC to cross carpet and deny Zik that victory.”

Let’s make a throwback to pan-African politics from its inception. Chief Herbert Macaulay created the first national party in history of Nigeria “Nigerian National Democratic Party “(NNDP), which vied and won a large number of seats against British government. This phenomenon marked the brink of British’s rule in Nigeria.  Then, another political platform “National Youth Movement” (NYM) emerged, which comprised of youths -- which Pa. Awo was fortunate to be among. The fledging “NYM” became a threat to Macaulay’s NNDP, also wrestled mantle away from NNDP. This upset forced Herbert Macaulay to rename NNDP as N.C.N.C. – which made NCNC to be known as the third political party in Nigeria. Herbert was the leader of NCNC till the old age mugged the authority away from him. Azikwue was a protégé to Macaulay, and that gave him more fame in Western region. Since, all the Ibo members of NYM deflected to NCNC, to counter-act their power; Awolowo renamed “NYM” as Action Group (AG). I didn’t blame Awo for making Western region unfriendly to Ziks, if you let stranger trample on your privacy – you are in soup. So, Mr. Tony, don’t misconstrue Awo’s motive as hatred for Ziks; but such moves emanated as a result of rivalry between Ziks’ godfather “Herbert Macaulay and Pa. Awolowo.
“you have just vindicated my argument that Awo was tribally inclined and petty, thus could not all through his life rise above his self imposed limitations to his ethnic group.”
Oti ooo, Tony, your claim doesn’t hold water again, and you may have to expurgate it. We as a people also make a big force about tribalism and mediocrity.  [size=16pt]It baffles me “When one asks which tribe is more tribalistic, most or 99% of Ibos will say, Yoruba.”[/size]
Here are some major contributors to both evils that you and I better recognize. Their logic can never stand the test of truth in the light of Nigeria’s political history.  Out of the original three regions, the Hausa/Fulani had a movement for themselves that evolved into Northern People’s Congress (NPC) and the Igbos had the Ibo State Union in the early thirties and forties before Egbe Omo Oduduwa came to be in the early fifties.  I may not be exact on the dates, but history will support this fact.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Katsumoto: 8:02pm On Jun 04, 2010
~Sauron~:

Awolowo died in 1987 and yet he's responsible for the 23 years' rot Ibadan has degenerated into.
Conveniently forgetting the first TV station, the premier university and cocoa house were all situated in Ibadan.
I think i need to leave this debate here. . . . . .The guys i am debating with are grossly intellectually sterile.

All of us?  grin grin grin
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Sauron1: 8:03pm On Jun 04, 2010
Katsumoto:

All of us?  grin grin grin

Of course. . . . .I meant the anti-Awo group. grin cheesy
To put things clearly, i meant JustCash, Orisebawo, Dede1.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Katsumoto: 8:06pm On Jun 04, 2010
akigbemaru:

[font=Lucida Sans Unicode]To all Ibos from villages, I know the ones who have emigrated to other regions or different places see things in a more liberalized way than you. It amounts to a greater sin for some people or a group wanting to canonize a saint as evil. Awo has left a giant step in the sand of a time in Africa and world at large, just like any of our great leaders like Saudana and Azikwue.  If Mr. Tony who is nobody could open his big mouth to rant likes a delusional dog, which signals his parochial way of thinking. I am not available at this time to throw tantrums on NVS, but I may not sit idly to succumb to your errant drivels about our beloved Pa. Awolowo.[/font]

It is amazing how misinformed some Nigerians are, about their national politics both past and present, such is the case of Tony;
Let’s make a throwback to pan-African politics from its inception. Chief Herbert Macaulay created the first national party in history of Nigeria “Nigerian National Democratic Party “(NNDP), which vied and won a large number of seats against British government. This phenomenon marked the brink of British’s rule in Nigeria.  Then, another political platform “National Youth Movement” (NYM) emerged, which comprised of youths -- which Pa. Awo was fortunate to be among. The fledging “NYM” became a threat to Macaulay’s NNDP, also wrestled mantle away from NNDP. This upset forced Herbert Macaulay to rename NNDP as N.C.N.C. – which made NCNC to be known as the third political party in Nigeria. Herbert was the leader of NCNC till the old age mugged the authority away from him. Azikwue was a protégé to Macaulay, and that gave him more fame in Western region. Since, all the Ibo members of NYM deflected to NCNC, to counter-act their power; Awolowo renamed “NYM” as Action Group (AG). I didn’t blame Awo for making Western region unfriendly to Ziks, if you let stranger trample on your privacy – you are in soup. So, Mr. Tony, don’t misconstrue Awo’s motive as hatred for Ziks; but such moves emanated as a result of rivalry between Ziks’ godfather “Herbert Macaulay and Pa. Awolowo.
“you have just vindicated my argument that Awo was tribally inclined and petty, thus could not all through his life rise above his self imposed limitations to his ethnic group.”
Oti ooo, Tony, your claim doesn’t hold water again, and you may have to expurgate it. We as a people also make a big force about tribalism and mediocrity.  [size=16pt]It baffles me “When one asks which tribe is more tribalistic, most or 99% of Ibos will say, Yoruba.”[/size]
Here are some major contributors to both evils that you and I better recognize. Their logic can never stand the test of truth in the light of Nigeria’s political history.  Out of the original three regions, the Hausa/Fulani had a movement for themselves that evolved into Northern People’s Congress (NPC) and the Igbos had the Ibo State Union in the early thirties and forties before Egbe Omo Oduduwa came to be in the early fifties.  I may not be exact on the dates, but history will support this fact.

E bo lo wa lati jo yi? grin
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by akigbemaru: 8:10pm On Jun 04, 2010
Tony, stop being a protagonist that makes Ziks seemed a hero and Awo looked like a villain.
I ponder it in my head, why Ziks would not allow bugs in his land sting him; but adamantly thought people of Western Region were gullible to put their affairs in the hands of strangers. It may be reasonable if Eastern Region was willing to reciprocate other regions.
I am not baffled that Obafemi Awo knew his friend Ziks well to warn the west to be careful whom they put on top of their affairs. It makes me cringe to imagine what it would be like if God did not bless the western Nigeria with Pa. Obafemi Awolowo. The old wise man knew the capability of a double edge sword, it may defend you or come back to hurt you. The Yorubas responded to the voice of reason by cross carpeting which wholesomely is legal and politically correct and did not have anything to do with Zik’s seat as a democratically elected member of the western house of assembly. Instead of taking his seat as a member of the western house, once more took off running, this time to the eastern region that was the most efficient and a pace setter for the other regions under the leadership of a seasoned administrator, Professor Eyo Ita to relinquish his seat as premier and leader of government business to him (Azikiwe). When Ita will not bulge, Zik conspired openly with the less educated Igbo members of the eastern house, whipping ethnic sentiments, a naked display of tribalism to conjure a vote of no confidence on Ita and his ministers. By this barbaric display of tribal numerical strength, the ministers resigned and Azikiwe whose primary intention even in the western region was to meet the queen at the then upcoming Constitutional Conference in London, finally achieved his dreams at the cost of democracy.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Justcash(m): 8:12pm On Jun 04, 2010
~Sauron~:

Of course. . . . .I meant the anti-Awo group. grin cheesy
To put things clearly, i meant JustCash, Orisebawo, Dede1.

LOL!@Sauron

So if you are asked, you'll say that you have been making sense on this topic? Your point of view is completely impotent and tainted with huge patches of tribalistic rants which has left you too handicapped to see things from a realistic point of view. You are bent on fighting a tribalistic battle, one that I dnt wish to indulge in because arguments are meant to instill knowledge and not strife.

What is the point pushing about with your lack of empathy in argument? Now you know who is making no sense?
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by TewMuch: 8:15pm On Jun 04, 2010
akigbemaru:

Tony, stop being a protagonist that makes Ziks seemed a hero and Awo looked like a villain.
I ponder it in my head, why Ziks would not allow bugs in his land sting him; but adamantly thought people of Western Region were gullible to put their affairs in the hands of strangers. It may be reasonable if Eastern Region was willing to reciprocate other regions.
I am not baffled that Obafemi Awo knew his friend Ziks well to warn the west to be careful whom they put on top of their affairs. It makes me cringe to imagine what it would be like if God did not bless the western Nigeria with Pa. Obafemi Awolowo. The old wise man knew the capability of a double edge sword, it may defend you or come back to hurt you. The Yorubas responded to the voice of reason by cross carpeting which wholesomely is legal and politically correct and did not have anything to do with Zik’s seat as a democratically elected member of the western house of assembly. Instead of taking his seat as a member of the western house, once more took off running, this time to the eastern region that was the most efficient and a pace setter for the other regions under the leadership of a seasoned administrator, Professor Eyo Ita to relinquish his seat as premier and leader of government business to him (Azikiwe). When Ita will not bulge, Zik conspired openly with the less educated Igbo members of the eastern house, whipping ethnic sentiments, a unclothed display of tribalism to conjure a vote of no confidence on Ita and his ministers. By this barbaric display of tribal numerical strength, the ministers resigned and Azikiwe whose primary intention even in the western region was to meet the queen at the then upcoming Constitutional Conference in London, finally achieved his dreams at the cost of democracy.

lol!!! Zik the greedy, cowardly, toothless bulldog. Very desperate man. Am sure all the thrash Igbo's keep repeating is the grand tales and propaganda spread by Zik. They keep arguing despite the evidence on ground and refuse to be objective. And they call Awo the great Tribalist.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by akigbemaru: 8:19pm On Jun 04, 2010
Katsumoto:

E bo lo wa lati jo yi? grin

Omo iya, se bi eyinna lo ni, ki ama ti tori awi jare kito si wa tan lenu. I am chilling, just taking care of business.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Katsumoto: 8:23pm On Jun 04, 2010
akigbemaru:

Omo iya, se bi eyinna lo ni, ki ama ti tori awi jare kito si wa tan lenu. I am chilling, just taking care of business.

Its all good, nice to know you were taking care of business. Welcome back.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Sauron1: 8:27pm On Jun 04, 2010
Justcash:

LOL!@Sauron

So if you are asked, you'll say that you have been making sense on this topic? Your point of view is completely impotent and tainted with huge patches of tribalistic rants which has left you too handicapped to see things from a realistic point of view. You are bent on fighting a tribalistic battle, one that I dnt wish to indulge in because arguments are meant to instill knowledge and not strife.

What is the point pushing about with your lack of empathy in argument? Now you know who is making no sense?

Justcash, to actually call you a fool will be an insult to the Mongolian idiots cos yours is worse.

The Western Region wasn't dissolved until 1967 and yet you expected Awolowo to have left his duties as a governor of the Western Region to develop the Eastern Region in the name of nationalism. . . . . .By the same token, what did Azikwe build in the West OR what did the Yorubas benefit from Azikwe since you Eastern cowards are claiming Awolowo did nothing because you did not benefit from the seeds he sowed.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Justcash(m): 8:36pm On Jun 04, 2010
As the premier of the pre-independence Eastern region, Nnamdi Azikiwe greatly expanded the educational facilities in the Easter region and  laid the foundation of University of Nigeria nsukka.
He could speak the three Nigerian languages fluently.
He played the single most vigorous role in Nigeria's match to independence and which led to him being given a post of the Governor-general  in october 1 1960 and subsequently President in october 1, 1963.
His love for Nigeria led him to defect from Biafra after reluctantly serving under Ojukwu from May 1967-January 1970. He defected in 1969, a year before the defeat of Biafra.

On May 11, 1966, New York times described him as, " A man who towered over the affairs of the most populous nation in Africa, attaining the status of a true national hero who came to be admired across the regional and etnic lines dividing Nigeria".
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by babapupa: 8:39pm On Jun 04, 2010
Justcash:

As the premier of the pre-independence Eastern region, Nnamdi Azikiwe greatly expanded the educational facilities in the Easter region and  laid the foundation of University of Nigeria nsukka.
He played the single most vigorous role in Nigeria's match to independence and which led to him being given a post of the Governor-general  in october 1 1960 and subsequently President in october 1, 1963.
His love for Nigeria led him to defect from Biafra after reluctantly serving under Ojukwu from May 1967-January 1970. He defected in 1969, a year before the defeat of Biafra.

On May 11, 1966, New York times described him as, " A man who towered over the affairs of the most populous nation in Africa, attaining the status of a true national hero who came to be admired across the regional and etnic lines dividing Nigeria".

You call this achievement? You no get shame ni?
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by bkbabe97: 8:40pm On Jun 04, 2010
Justcash:

Let the truth be said;

Was Awolowo a pro-developmental leader?

Answer: Oh yes! One of the most developmental leaders of any tribe in Nigeria. His developmental Foresight, educational provisions and general stride with technological advancement were true evidence of my assertion.

Was Awolowo a Nationalistic leader?

Answer: Hell no! He was more concerned about his ethnic group than Nigeria as a whole. His developmental efforts were directed to the benefit of his ethnic group and region, with little to show for national development. It is a well known fact that he was a symbol of the Yoruba's political might in the post-colonial days.

Was Awolowo the greatest leader in Nigeria?

Answer: Nope! If you are talking about Nigeria as a whole, he is not. He is the greatest leader of his tribe and region not Nigeria as a whole. The north would claim that Tafawa balewa/Ahmaedu bello and other northern leaders were the greatest leaders in Nigeria. The Igbos would claim that about Ojukwu. So it is not surprising that Yorubas see Awolowo as the greatest leader Nigeria has ever had. However, he is not. In terms of nationalistic leadership qualities, Nnamdi Azikiwe was a better leader than Awolowo. This is why many Igbos including me don't like him. Igbos feel that he was a fool by sacrificing alot for Nigeria's unity, while his mates were standing for their ethnic groups and region.

Was Awolowo an important  player in Nigeria's unity?

Answer: Oh yes! He was. When he refused to declare a separate country for the western region, and instead decided to forgive the people that imprisoned him against the people that released him, he actually preserved Nigeria as a country. He was however seen as a "Coward" and "Ungrateful" individual by the Igbos after that event. However, he helped to keep Nigeria one by doing that.

Was Awolowo a Bad or Good man?

Answer: It is relative. To the Yorubas and Hausa/fulanis, he was a Sweetheart and a symbol of a true leader.  To the Igbos and most eastern tribes, he was a Coward, a saboteur and a devil in the making. Nothing can change these perceptions, no matter how much you argue.

I am Igbo, So you should know how I feel about him. That being said, the truth has to be told.

Was Ojuku a pro-developmental leader?

Answer: Hell nah! The worst of  leaders of any tribe in Nigeria. His lack of developmental Foresight, educational provisions and lack of general stride with technological advancement are true evidence of my assertion.

Was Ojuku a Nationalistic leader?

Answer: What the hell are u sniffing?! (attempts to assault interviewer) He was more concerned about his ethnic group than Nigeria as a whole. His developmental efforts were directed to the benefit of his ethnic group and region, with little to show for national development. Infact, he left Biafra in shambles by the time his (mis)adventure was ova! It is a well known fact that he was a symbol of the Ibo political stu.pidity in the post-colonial days. This greedy, bearded, monkey attempted to create his own fiefdom using the money of the country he despised and wanted to be rid of!

Was Ojuku the greatest leader in Nigeria?

Answer: Not by a long stretch! If you are talking about Nigeria as a whole, he is not. If you are talking about that mess of a Biafra, maybe! He is the greatest leader of his tribe and region not Nigeria as a whole. Hell, dude couldnt stand "Nigeria". The north would claim that Tafawa balewa/Ahmaedu bello and other northern leaders were the greatest leaders in Nigeria. The Igbos would claim that about Ojuku. And it is not surprising that Yorubas see Awolowo as the greatest leader Nigeria has ever had. However, he is not. In terms of nationalistic leadership qualities, my daughter's Homer Simpson doll was a better leader than Ojuku. This is why no right thinking person, including myself, likes him. Ibos feel that he was a fool for attempting "Biafra", but because of low-self esteem or stu.pi.dity (or a combination of both) they refuse to say this openely. Imagine this, if the ibos are so scared of him now that he's old, vanquished, and senile, imagine how he woulda been had that dream of his had materialized! You think North Korea worships its leader, only the Lord knows what Ojuku woulda been revered as; a god maybe?!

Was Ojuku an important  player in Nigeria's unity?

Answer: Oh,sure! Yes, He was. He made the North and West become friends because of his greedy, stup*id, imb.e.celic policies! When he hijacked Parliament and tried to declare a separate country for the Eastern Region, killed heroes like Maj. Nzeogwu, ran-off people that could have deveoped Biafra such as Mr Azikiwe and Mr Ken Saro-Wiwa amongst others that knew he was a lunatic and an impending dictator. . . then decided to forgive the people that killed his people in the millions by endorsing one of them a few weeks ago to become President, this inspite of the fact that the General he endorsed is a world renowned criminal and murderer ,then, if thats what u call preserving Nigeria as a country. . . . .  . He has however been seen as a "Coward" and "Ungrateful" individual by the world when in 1970 he disguised as a biyyytch and fled into exile with his skirt between his legs!!! To show you how egotistical that gorilla was; HE EVEN REFUSED TO SHAVE HIS BEARD EVEN THOUGH HE WAS DRESSED AS A WOMAN. HE said it'd make him look less like Barry White if he shaved! Imagine, he valued his beard over his life or that of his commanders and inner circle. Remember too that during the war Ojuku got fatter and fatter while Biafran kids died of malnutrition!!! Oh, also, remember he had a hand in the death of Mr Ken Saro-Wiwa years later! Rumor has it that he was pissed that Mr Ken Saro-Wiwa was more handsome and used to get all the girls back East. The Biafran war lord hates competition . . . .  .

Was Ojuku a Bad or Good man?

Answer: Simplest question you asked all day: HE WAS EVIL! MORE EVIL THAT SATAN HIMSELF! Like I said earlier, he killed Mr Ken Saro Wiwa! Killed his own people in the millions just to achieve his ill-conceived dreams of being a dictator! He attacked Lagos during the civil war by dropping bombs; this, even though the Yorubas were still standing on the sidelines at the time. Then he tried to capture Yoruba country. He sent a Yoruba officer that served in the Biafran army as an emissary, complete with a letter written in typical "Ibo man's big english", detailing how he would rule over the Yorubas once he captured the Western Region! The Yorubas wasnt buying that shiyyyt and they quickly joined the hausas and kicked his aszz back to the 6th century!!!

I am human, So you should know how I feel about him. That being said, the truth has to be told.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Sauron1: 8:41pm On Jun 04, 2010
Justcash:

[b]As the premier of the pre-independence Eastern region, Nnamdi Azikiwe greatly expanded the educational facilities in the Easter region and  laid the foundation of University of Nigeria nsukka.

One University?
In the same period. . . .Awolowo made sure the Western Region had Universities in Ibadan, Lagos and Ile-Ife.
U see what i am talking about?

My driver in Nigeria can speak 5 languages fluently.
It's not a function of one's intelligence - it depends on where anyone has stayed in various phases in his/her life.

Only cowards defect. . . .
Real Men stand by what they believe in. grin cheesy

On May 11, 1966, New York times described him as, " A man who towered over the affairs of the most populous nation in Africa, attaining the status of a true national hero who came to be admired across the regional and etnic lines dividing Nigeria".[/b]

Tell us how the New York Times described Awolowo. . . . .
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Justcash(m): 8:44pm On Jun 04, 2010
~Sauron~:

Justcash, to actually call you a fool will be an insult to the Mongolian idiots cos yours is worse.

The Western Region wasn't dissolved until 1967 and yet you expected Awolowo to have left his duties as a governor of the Western Region to develop the Eastern Region in the name of nationalism. . . . . .By the same token, what did Azikwe build in the West OR what did the Yorubas benefit from Azikwe since you Eastern cowards are claiming Awolowo did nothing because you did not benefit from the seeds he sowed.

The bold part of your comment is unnecessary. It just placed you where you belong! No wonder you know much about fools and Mongolian idiots.

How could Awolowo ever be called the best leader NIGERIA ever had? You seem to lack basic understanding of expressions and their meanings.

Awolowo Can be your greatest leader because you felt his impact, but don't impose him on people who did not feel his impact.

Dude! I aint arguing if Awolowo was good or not. I agree that he was good. But he cannot be said to be the best in Nigeria!!  

He never had the chance to lead Nigeria, so he was never nationalistic. Which actually leaves him at a regional and ethnic level! He is the best in the West and Among Yoruba leaders, NOT IN NIGERIA!!!!

Is this clear to you or do you need it to be translated into Yoruba?
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by sjeezy8: 8:47pm On Jun 04, 2010
babapupa:

lol

Justcash:

The bold part of your comment is unnecessary. It just placed you where you belong! No wonder you know much about fools and Mongolian idiots.

How could Awolowo ever be called the best leader NIGERIA ever had? You seem to lack basic understanding of expressions and their meanings.

Awolowo Can be your greatest leader because you felt his impact, but don't impose him on people who did not feel his impact.

Dude! I aint arguing if Awolowo was good or not. I agree that he was good. But he cannot be said to be the best in Nigeria!!

He never had the chance to lead Nigeria, so he was never nationalistic. Which actually leaves him at a regional and ethnic level! He is the best in the West and Among Yoruba leaders, NOT IN NIGERIA!!!!

Its about the best Leader in Nigeria not about the best leader who led Nigeria.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Justcash(m): 8:48pm On Jun 04, 2010
babapupa:

Yes it is! Because he made it possible for us to be independent which was of importance! Pls outline what Awolowo achieved for Nigeria mister Babapupa?! Let's see who will bow in shame!!!
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Katsumoto: 8:49pm On Jun 04, 2010
sjeezy8:

lol

Its about the best Leader [b]in Nigeria not about the best leader who led Nigeria.[/b]

Gbam, one gulder for you tonight.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Sauron1: 8:49pm On Jun 04, 2010
Justcash:

The leader of a small community can as well be the best LEADER in Nigeria. . . .
You don't have to RULE Nigeria as a country to be the best leader in Nigeria. . . . .Seems English Language is a clog in your wheels of reasoning.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Katsumoto: 8:50pm On Jun 04, 2010
bk/babe97:

Was Ojuku a pro-developmental leader?

Answer: Hell nah! The worst of  leaders of any tribe in Nigeria. His lack of developmental Foresight, educational provisions and lack of general stride with technological advancement are true evidence of my assertion.

Was Ojuku a Nationalistic leader?

Answer: What the hell are u sniffing?! (attempts to assault interviewer) He was more concerned about his ethnic group than Nigeria as a whole. His developmental efforts were directed to the benefit of his ethnic group and region, with little to show for national development. Infact, he left Biafra in shambles by the time his (mis)adventure was ova! It is a well known fact that he was a symbol of the Ibo political stu.pidity in the post-colonial days. This greedy, bearded, monkey attempted to create his own fiefdom using the money of the country he despised and wanted to be rid of!

Was Ojuku the greatest leader in Nigeria?

Answer: Not by a long stretch! If you are talking about Nigeria as a whole, he is not. If you are talking about that mess of a Biafra, maybe! He is the greatest leader of his tribe and region not Nigeria as a whole. Hell, dude couldnt stand "Nigeria". The north would claim that Tafawa balewa/Ahmaedu bello and other northern leaders were the greatest leaders in Nigeria. The Igbos would claim that about Ojuku. And it is not surprising that Yorubas see Awolowo as the greatest leader Nigeria has ever had. However, he is not. In terms of nationalistic leadership qualities, my daughter's Homer Simpson doll was a better leader than Ojuku. This is why no right thinking person, including myself, likes him. Ibos feel that he was a fool for attempting "Biafra", but because of low-self esteem or st.pi.ity (or a combination of both) they refuse to say this openely. Imagine this, if the ibos are so scared of him now that he's old, vanquished, and senile, imagine how he woulda been had that dream of his had materialized! You think North Korea worships its leader, only the Lord knows what Ojuku woulda been revered as; a god maybe?!

Was Ojuku an important  player in Nigeria's unity?

Answer: Oh,sure! Yes, He was. He made the North and West become friends because of his greedy, stup*id, imb.e.celic policies! When he hijacked Parliament and tried to declare a separate country for the Eastern Region, killed heroes like Maj. Nzeogwu, ran-off people that could have deveoped Biafra such as Mr Azikiwe and Mr Ken Saro-Wiwa amongst others that knew he was a lunatic and an impending dictator. . . then decided to forgive the people that killed his people in the millions by endorsing one of them a few weeks ago to become President, this inspite of the fact that the General he endorsed is a world renowned criminal and murderer ,then, if thats what u call preserving Nigeria as a country. . . . .  . He has however been seen as a "Coward" and "Ungrateful" individual by the world when in 1970 he disguised as a biyyytch and fled into exile with his skirt between his legs!!! To show you how egotistical that gorilla was; HE EVEN REFUSED TO SHAVE HIS BEARD EVEN THOUGH HE WAS DRESSED AS A WOMAN. HE said it'd make him look less like Barry White if he shaved! Imagine, he valued his beard over his life or that of his commanders and inner circle. Remember too that during the war Ojuku got fatter and fatter while Biafran kids died of malnutrition!!! Oh, also, remember he had a hand in the death of Mr Ken Saro-Wiwa years later! Rumor has it that he was pissed that Mr Ken Saro-Wiwa was more handsome and used to get all the girls back East. The Biafran war lord hates competition . . . .  .

Was Ojuku a Bad or Good man?

Answer: Simplest question you asked all day: HE WAS EVIL! MORE EVIL THAT SATAN HIMSELF! Like I said earlier, he killed Mr Ken Saro Wiwa! Killed his own people in the millions just to achieve his ill-conceived dreams of being a dictator! He attacked Lagos during the civil war by dropping bombs; this, even though the Yorubas were still standing on the sidelines at the time. Then he tried to capture Yoruba country. He sent a Yoruba officer that served in the Biafran army as an emissary, complete with a letter written in typical "Ibo man's big english", detailing how he would rule over the Yorubas once he captured the Western Region! The Yorubas wasnt buying that shiyyyt and they quickly joined the hausas and kicked his aszz back to the 6th century!!!

I am human, So you should know how I feel about him. That being said, the truth has to be told.

Dude, you crack me up sometimes.  grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Justcash(m): 8:51pm On Jun 04, 2010
sjeezy8:

Its about the best Leader in Nigeria not about the best leader who led Nigeria.

@ Sjeezy8: Where was it specified? What I saw was that "Awolowo had no equals" in Nigeria's leadership. Where is the inside or outside?
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Onlytruth(m): 8:53pm On Jun 04, 2010
Mention Biafra now, these same idiots will start sh**ting their pants! shocked shocked shocked angry

I'll ask you people again: What do you two faced people want from Nigeria?

As far as I know, Awolowo destroyed the prospect of a united Nigeria through his personal actions and the evil seeds he sowed.

Why am I even lamenting this? Because the same idiots (led by the same treacherous devil) fought again to keep Nigeria one, the same country they permanently destroyed. Amazing! shocked angry
It seems these people enjoy pain. If only my Igbo brothers will see this and take appropriate actions.

Each time some of them talk, I cringe.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Justcash(m): 8:54pm On Jun 04, 2010
Katsumoto:

Gbam, one gulder for you tonight.

LOL! Hahahahahahahah! You guys are damn dumb! The topic implied that AWOLOWO was the best leader Nigeria ever had! Now How could he have been the best as a regional leader?

LOL!
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by TewMuch: 8:55pm On Jun 04, 2010
Justcash:

See BIG achievement!!! I say see Achievement!. Can you imgaine if someone like Awolowo was a leader in the eastern region how they will extol him/? See the Zik they are raising on a pedestal, he only laid the foundation for UNN. This is too sad, you guys need to regroup and have a good talk with your leaders, this is too embarassing. The great Zik of Africa, Nigeria's foremost traitor. His biggest achievement was the creation of Nigeria, the biggest failure for a country, ever!!! He even sold out the middle belt people, that is why fulani people are dealing with them till today.  Greedy, Greedy, Greedy traitor.lol!
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Katsumoto: 8:56pm On Jun 04, 2010
Justcash:

LOL! Hahahahahahahah! You guys are damn dumb! The topic implied that AWOLOWO was the best leader Nigeria ever had! Now How could he have been the best as a regional leader?

LOL!

You know I have not insulted you. I don't understand why you are going that way.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Sauron1: 8:56pm On Jun 04, 2010
Onlytruth:

Mention Biafra now, these same idiots will start sh**ting their pants! shocked shocked shocked angry

As far as I know, Awolowo destroyed the prospect of a united Nigeria through his personal actions and the evil seeds he sowed.

It's obvious you cannot cope with the pace of the discussion.
Duh. . . .It was Ojukwu that wanted to secede. . . . .Was that supposed to be a war uniting Nigeria?
Onlytruth should be OnlyFALSE. cheesy
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by sjeezy8: 8:57pm On Jun 04, 2010
Justcash:

@ Sjeezy8: Where was it specified? What I saw was that "Awolowo had no equals" in Nigeria's leadership. Where is the inside or outside?

He had no equals in Nigeria- if he does can you name any? I honestly cant and im not even being tribalistic really.

Onlytruth:

Why am I even lamenting this? Because the same idiots (led by the same treacherous devil) fought again to keep Nigeria one, the same country they permanently destroyed. Amazing! shocked angry
It seems these people enjoy pain. If only my Igbo brothers will see this and take appropriate actions.

Each time some of them talk, I cringe.

He didnt fight to keep Nigeria One. He sat back and let the Nigerian army do that and why would he forcefully divide something that previously could have been divided peacefully?

Thats just common sense Im fine in Nigeria and not suffering- The yorubas arent blaming anyone except the poor leader in their own back yard. Hausas -fulanis are of no threat to us. Its not like yorubas want to be govenor of Kaduna or some shiot. Nigeria is fine with me- the Sw needs better leaders.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (27) (Reply)

2015: Oshiomhole To Vie For APC Presidential Ticket / Fayose: I Don’t Need Police, DSS Protection Again / 10 Things To Know About Nigeria’s Petroleum Industry Bill, PIB

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 141
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.