Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,068 members, 7,814,690 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 05:27 PM

Awolowo Had No Equal - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Awolowo Had No Equal (29604 Views)

See A Photo Of N1 Note That Was Used In 1979 When $1 Was Equal To N0.647 / awolowo had no power to remove Western nigeria from Nigeria. Only Ademusiwa has / Eze:awolowo Had Nothing To Do With Biafra,gowon Who Lead The Killing 1 Million (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (27) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Onlytruth(m): 5:38pm On Jun 04, 2010
TewMuch:

You mean in a country separated by regions it made sense for Zik who was non yoruba to contest in the Yoruba region and win? . Even if you are trying to say ZIK  was influenced by his American experience, you must be delusional becuse in the 60's that  would have been almost impossible if Nigeria's type of government was the system of government in America. Your argument is strange and am sure you know it, but you would love to be the antagonist as usual, just for the sake of argument

It was not in the 60s. I'm talking about the incidence of the early 1950s when Nigeria was still trying to create a national character, when we could have emerged a beautifully united country at independence. Awo killed all that, such that when independence came, it was a damaged good - a product of chicanery and deceit.

Yes, Nigeria could have emerged a completely different country.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by sjeezy8: 5:39pm On Jun 04, 2010
Onlytruth:

Bros Dede1, you better believe what you read from that two faced character. I don't know what he knows about the USA, but he fails to see that President Obama was born in Hawaii but contested for US Senate and presidency from Illinois; Secretary of State Hillary Clinton is from Texas, but represented New York in Senate. I can go on.

The formative era of the Nigerian nation namely the 50s was a time the US was emerging a truly egalitarian society, and Zik being a product of the US education system wanted the best for Nigeria. He wanted a Nigeria where Nigerians can contest elections in areas of domicile. In the US, it takes one year to establish domicile. If there is any Nigerian that truly was ahead of his peers (at least in the ideals of forming a federal system of government) it was Zik. None other.

I hope you see why I keep saying that Awolowo destroyed southern Nigerian unity for ever. With the likes of Katsumoto who wants to eat their cakes and have it, forming a nation between Yoruba and Igbo is almost an impossibility. Which is why we have an arrested development.

We dont want southern unity- Only the West, East,North, middle belt and and South South. All zones except SE want that.

and I think the you have problems with reading comprehension or maybe its that selective reading you have. Barack Obama is example to refute your silly claim that votes in  developed countries are not based on ethncitity. He also stated that in countries unlike America - the UK

Katsumoto :

I ask again, there are many scots living in england, why has not one contested in England? Also why don't the english contest in Scotland? [size=15pt]What you should be doing is citing many examples of people who have contested and won elections in places outside their regions of origin. [/size]

region of ORIGIN- Not like america where everyone is a settler there a big difference.

Are you mentally OK?
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Katsumoto: 5:40pm On Jun 04, 2010
Onlytruth:

Bros Dede1, you better believe what you read from that two faced character. I don't know what he knows about the USA, but he fails to see that President Obama was born in Hawaii but contested for US Senate and presidency from Illinois; Secretary of State Hillary Clinton is from Texas, but represented New York in Senate. I can go on.

The formative era of the Nigerian nation namely the 50s was a time the US was emerging a truly egalitarian society, and Zik being a product of the US education system wanted the best for Nigeria. He wanted a Nigeria where Nigerians can contest elections in areas of domicile. In the US, it takes one year to establish domicile. If there is any Nigerian that truly was ahead of his peers (at least in the ideals of forming a federal system of government) it was Zik. None other.

I hope you see why I keep saying that Awolowo destroyed southern Nigerian unity for ever. With the likes of Katsumoto who wants to eat their cakes and have it, forming a nation between Yoruba and Igbo is almost an impossibility. Which is why we have an arrested development.

Again you argue through your anus. USA gained independence in 1776 and the two examples that you cite occured more than two hundred years after independence. Also when you consider the number of elections (Senate, congress, governors, state house of reps, etc) that have been had in the US in over two hundred years you will appreciate that what you are suggesting is not the norm. Give me several examples from America's nascent democracy and I will accept your argument. Otherwise I will continue to argue that Zik had no right or business in being the leader of the western region. Zik was an Igbo man, why was he not trying to be the leader of the Eastern house?
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by TewMuch: 5:42pm On Jun 04, 2010
Justcash:

[b]Let the truth be said;

Was Awolowo a pro-developmental leader?

Answer: Oh yes! One of the most developmental leaders of any tribe in Nigeria. His developmental Foresight, educational provisions and general stride with technological advancement were true evidence of my assertion.

Was Awolowo a Nationalistic leader?

Answer: Hell no! He was more concerned about his ethnic group than Nigeria as a whole. His developmental efforts were directed to the benefit of his ethnic group and region, with little to show for national development. It is a well known fact that he was a symbol of the Yoruba's political might in the post-colonial days.

Was Awolowo the greatest leader in Nigeria?

Answer: Nope! If you are talking about Nigeria as a whole, he is not. He is the greatest leader of his tribe and region not Nigeria as a whole. The north would claim that Tafawa balewa/Ahmaedu bello and other northern leaders were the greatest leaders in Nigeria. The Igbos would claim that about Ojukwu. So it is not surprising that Yorubas see Awolowo as the greatest leader Nigeria has ever had. However, he is not. In terms of nationalistic leadership qualities, Nnamdi Azikiwe was a better leader than Awolowo. This is why many Igbos including me don't like him. Igbos feel that he was a fool by sacrificing alot for Nigeria's unity, while his mates were standing for their ethnic groups and region.

Was Awolowo an important  player in Nigeria's unity?

Answer: Oh yes! He was. When he refused to declare a separate country for the western region, and instead decided to forgive the people that imprisoned him against the people that released him, he actually preserved Nigeria as a country. He was however seen as a "Coward" and "Ungrateful" individual by the Igbos after that event. However, he helped to keep Nigeria one by doing that.

Was Awolowo a Bad or Good man?

Answer: It is relative. To the Yorubas and Hausa/fulanis, he was a Sweetheart and a symbol of a true leader.  To the Igbos and most eastern tribes, he was a Coward, a saboteur and a devil in the making. Nothing can change these perceptions, no matter how much you argue.

I am Igbo, So you should know how I feel about him. That being said, the truth has to be told.[/b]
If awolowo is all these things then why did your Igbo people accept free education and benefit from it? You guys love to revise history anfd throw blame when things dont work your way. The idea of maintining Nigeria as one was ZIK's bright idea, so stop lying there. You people should exhume his body and beat him up if you are that upset. As you say, Awolowo wanted the best for his people but Zik was canvassing to rule everyone in any way possible. IEven to the extent that he didnt mind being a figurehead head of state to people of very low intelligence compared to him. If you ask me, those are attributes of a greedy person and a coward. You have not told the whole truth, but how can i blame you. If you hear lies repeatedly over a period of time you begin to believe it. All the anger of the Igbo's today was self created, and they tried to run away when all didnt go as planned. Who told you Yoruba's wanted one Nigeria? When our region was light years ahead of others? you must be dreaming.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Katsumoto: 5:44pm On Jun 04, 2010
TewMuch:

You mean in a country separated by regions it made sense for Zik who was non yoruba to contest in the Yoruba region and win? . Even if you are trying to say ZIK  was influenced by his American experience, you must be delusional becuse in the 60's that  would have been almost impossible if Nigeria's type of government was the system of government in America. Your argument is strange and am sure you know it, but you would love to be the antagonist as usual, just for the sake of argument

Don't mind that chap. I don't know why people of his ilk always think that they are smarter than the Yorubas. So a Northerner is leader in the North, an Easterner leader in the East, and another leader in the West. So what happens to the advanced Yoruba people? They look on as observers? His arguments are always without flawed.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Katsumoto: 5:49pm On Jun 04, 2010
Justcash:

[b]Let the truth be said;

Was Awolowo a pro-developmental leader?

Answer: Oh yes! One of the most developmental leaders of any tribe in Nigeria. His developmental Foresight, educational provisions and general stride with technological advancement were true evidence of my assertion.

Was Awolowo a Nationalistic leader?

Answer: Hell no! He was more concerned about his ethnic group than Nigeria as a whole. His developmental efforts were directed to the benefit of his ethnic group and region, with little to show for national development. It is a well known fact that he was a symbol of the Yoruba's political might in the post-colonial days.

Was Awolowo the greatest leader in Nigeria?

Answer: Nope! If you are talking about Nigeria as a whole, he is not. He is the greatest leader of his tribe and region not Nigeria as a whole. The north would claim that Tafawa balewa/Ahmaedu bello and other northern leaders were the greatest leaders in Nigeria. The Igbos would claim that about Ojukwu. So it is not surprising that Yorubas see Awolowo as the greatest leader Nigeria has ever had. However, he is not. In terms of nationalistic leadership qualities, Nnamdi Azikiwe was a better leader than Awolowo. This is why many Igbos including me don't like him. Igbos feel that he was a fool by sacrificing alot for Nigeria's unity, while his mates were standing for their ethnic groups and region.

Was Awolowo an important  player in Nigeria's unity?

Answer: Oh yes! He was. When he refused to declare a separate country for the western region, and instead decided to forgive the people that imprisoned him against the people that released him, he actually preserved Nigeria as a country. He was however seen as a "Coward" and "Ungrateful" individual by the Igbos after that event. However, he helped to keep Nigeria one by doing that.

Was Awolowo a Bad or Good man?

Answer: It is relative. To the Yorubas and Hausa/fulanis, he was a Sweetheart and a symbol of a true leader.  To the Igbos and most eastern tribes, he was a Coward, a saboteur and a devil in the making. Nothing can change these perceptions, no matter how much you argue.

I am Igbo, So you should know how I feel about him. That being said, the truth has to be told.[/b]

How could Awo have developed other regions if he had no power over them? We can judge him on the region that he led and he had no equal in Nigeria. His achievements are there for all to see. If Awo was president of Nigeria and only developed the West, then I will accept the argument that he was a tribalist. But the fact is that he was not, he was the premier of the Western region and he did his job well, especially when compared with the other leaders.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by TewMuch: 5:56pm On Jun 04, 2010
Katsumoto:

How could Awo have developed other regions if he had no power over them? We can judge him on the region that he led and he had no equal in Nigeria. His achievements are there for all to see. If Awo was president of Nigeria and only developed the West, then I will accept the argument that he was a tribalist. But the fact is that he was not, he was the premier of the Western region and he did his job well, especially when compared with the other leaders.
Dont mind them, and even when Awo was leader of the western region he did not restrict all these benefits to indigenes alone, IGBOS benefitted as well. But when they want to start their usual accusations and try to tell Yoruba's how much they made them disadvantaged, they start telling ridiculous lies. Give credit where credit is due. Awolowo did not create borders to keep Igbo's out, they benefitted tremendously as well. Na wa oh. cheesy
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Justcash(m): 6:02pm On Jun 04, 2010
TewMuch:

[b]If awolowo is all these things then why did your Igbo people accept free education and benefit from it? [/b]You guys love to revise history anfd throw blame when things dont work your way. [b]The idea of maintining Nigeria as one was ZIK's bright idea, so stop lying there. [/b]You people should exhume his body and beat him up if you are that upset. As you say, Awolowo wanted the best for his people but Zik was canvassing to rule everyone in any way possible. [b]IEven to the extent that he didnt mind being a figurehead head of state to people of very low intelligence compared to him. If you ask me, those are attributes of a greedy person and a coward. [/b]You have not told the whole truth, but how can i blame you. If you hear lies repeatedly over a period of time you begin to believe it. All the anger of the Igbo's today was self created, and they tried to run away when all didnt go as planned. [b]Who told you Yoruba's wanted one Nigeria? [/b]When our region was light years ahead of others? you must be dreaming.

Your 1st statement in Bold: Only Nigerians in the Western region benefited from it. There was really no way he would have separated other ethnic groups from benefiting from his good educational incentive and innovation. Any Igbo that benefited from it actually traveled to the West to do so. Awolowo Never had Nigeria as a whole in mind while implementing his developmental plans. His Tribe and "Region" were his concern. However, other ethnic nationals in the region benefited. That does not make him a national leader, rather it points to the fact that he was more tribalistic and regional in his plan.

Your second statement in bold: Shows that you were thinking with your heart than your head. Pls point out where I said that ZIk kept Nigeria as one? Can you check up the meaning of being "Nationalistic" in leadership? If you don't know, pls research to avoid spewing out your ignorance.

Your third statement in bold: Your statement could actually be true. The question is, in his greediness, was his Nationalistic? Think again!

Your fourth statement in bold: Don't let Awolowo, Obasanjo and co to hear you! They'll be angry that you think that they wasted their time and effort! Who plotted the starvation strategy that left Biafra handicapped? Who accepted the surrender of Biafra? Go and do a proper research my dear friend. If the Yorubas dint want one Nigeria, alot of things would have been different now. I still ponder why the sacrificed so much for it?
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Katsumoto: 6:07pm On Jun 04, 2010
Justcash:

Your 1st statement in Bold: Only Nigerians in the Western region benefited from it. There was really no way he would have separated other ethnic groups from benefiting from his good educational incentive and innovation. Any Igbo that benefited from it actually traveled to the West to do so. Awolowo Never had Nigeria as a whole in mind while implementing his developmental plans. His Tribe and "Region" were his concern. However, other ethnic nationals in the region benefited. That does not make him a national leader, rather it points to the fact that he was more tribalistic and regional in his plan.

Please explain to us how Awo could have developed other regions if he was premier of the western region?
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Justcash(m): 6:13pm On Jun 04, 2010
Katsumoto:

[b]How could Awo have developed other regions if he had no power over them? [/b]We can judge him on the region that he led and he had no equal in Nigeria. His achievements are there for all to see. If Awo was president of Nigeria and only developed the West, then I will accept the argument that he was a tribalist. But the fact is that he was not, he was the premier of the Western region and he did his job well, especially when compared with the other leaders.

Exactly my point. He was only able to develop the western region, because he had the chance. Is that a basis for calling him the greatest leader ever in Nigeria when he made no impact in the lives of the Nigerians in other regions? Like you said, if he was a Nigerian head of state, and performed that credibly, I'd admit that he was the greatest. But my friend, he never had the chance to show his developmental ability over a very complex Nigerian state, so must not be given an unnecessary credit as being the best Leader NIGERIA ever had!
He was the best leader that the WEST ever had! To me Sam Mbakwe of Imo state is by far a better leader than Awolowo because I felt his impact. He did what Awolowo never had the chance to do for Imo state (My home state). That does not mean that I should call him the best leader Nigeria ever had.
Going by what you imply, it is your personal view, so must not be forced on the personal view of others.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Katsumoto: 6:18pm On Jun 04, 2010
Justcash:

Exactly my point. He was only able to develop the western region, because he had the chance. Is that a basis for calling him the greatest leader ever in Nigeria when he made no impact in the lives of the Nigerians in other regions? Like you said, if he was a Nigerian head of state, and performed that credibly, I'd admit that he was the greatest. But my friend, he never had the chance to show his developmental ability over a very complex Nigerian state, so must not be given an unnecessary credit as being the best Leader NIGERIA ever had!
He was the best leader that the WEST ever had! To me Sam Mbakwe of Imo state is by far a better leader than Awolowo because I felt his impact. He did what Awolowo never had the chance to do for Imo state (My home state). That does not mean that I should call him the best leader Nigeria ever had.
Going by what you imply, it is your personal view, so must not be forced on the personal view of others.

I never asserted that Awo was the greatest leader Nigeria ever had. I was only responding to your comment that since he only developed the west, he was a tribalistic leader.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Dede1(m): 6:23pm On Jun 04, 2010
Katsumoto:

Place of residence to determine where to contest. I ask again, there are many scots living in england, why has not one contested in England? Also why don't the english contest in Scotland? What you should be doing is citing many examples of people who have contested and won elections in places outside their regions of origin. Instead you are postulating some utopian fantasy. Did we not learn democracy from the British? Why should Nigerians suddenly develop a political maturity that our teachers and other more mature democracies have not developed in several centuries? Please stop this silly argument. Perhaps you can say this because Awo or TOS Benson were not seeking to be premiers in the East and please forget this place of residence bull.sh.i.t.

Besides, I am not a fan of the central system introduced by Gowon. I believe in true federalism or confederationism. Nigeria needs strong regions based on a collective will and a weak centre. Why should an Easterner be the premier in the East and the West and Northerner the premier in the North? Are you suggesting that there were no credible leaders in the west? Being a westerner I want a westerner to be my leader. That westerners were accommodating should not be misconstrued as them been mugus. If a man from Zamfara born in Anambra and residing in Anambra decides to run for governor of Anambra (or the state you are from) will you vote for him? Zik was born in Zungeru in the North, why did he not contest for the premiership there? Residing in Lagos was not enough for him to have contested the premiership of the West.

I could not believe you are bent on drawing unparallel analogy between Nigeria and the political arrangement that involves Scotland and England. The last time I check though, Scotland had football team that represented it as a country in a sport competition played amongst nations. Scotland had qualified as one of the countries to participate in World Cup.

However, the political entities known as regions were not consider as a nation or nation state. As far as I am concerned, Scotland is a nation state with loose federation with England and another entity to form Great Britain. It is very unfortunate you are drawing such comparison.

The loose federation that existed in Great Britain can not be compared with the federalism in USA.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Sauron1: 6:24pm On Jun 04, 2010
Katsumoto:

I never asserted that Awo was the greatest leader Nigeria ever had. I was only responding to your comment that since he only developed the west, he was a tribalistic leader.

Awolowo was the greatest leader Nigeria ever had.
If anyone says otherwise, i will piss in his face. Just because he didn't dance to the tunes of the Biafra drums doesn't make him a villain.
Awolowo couldn't sacrifice Yorubaland to be used as a battle ground at the expense of Ojukwu's selfish wet-dreams.

What are we talking about here? Awolowo never ruled the Nigerian State as a whole.
He was just a leader of the Western Region and if we compare the South West to the other parts of Nigeria(until IBB developed Abuja), the people in the East and those in the North will feel short-changed.

The development and the industrialization in the West were heads and shoulders above the rest of the country.
He educated everyone willing to go to school in the West and that included the Igbos and the Hausas/Fulanis staying in the West.
What else do these Igbo men want from him? His lungs?
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Justcash(m): 6:28pm On Jun 04, 2010
Katsumoto:

That Awolowo was tribalistic and regional in his approach is not an insult to him. It shows that with his position, he had to be so, in order to make the right impact and deliver to the prople he is responsible to. The west was known to be Yoruba land. He operated with that at the back of his head. He dint care If other national benefited, his sole aim was to ensure the development of yoruba land and people.
Nnamdi Azikiwe was more concerned about leading Nigeria as whole, even at the detriment of his tribe and people. He actually saw Nigeria as a whole, and could actually answer Nigeria than Igboland when asked where he was from. This explains why he even fought to be a political figure in Yorubaland. If Zik had Igbos at the back of his head, he would have concentrated on Igboland and competed to become the political figure head there, in order to represent them and compete for development. These were what Awolowo never Ignored.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Katsumoto: 6:30pm On Jun 04, 2010
~Sauron~:

If anyone says otherwise, i will piss in his face. Just because he didn't dance to the tunes of the Biafra drums doesn't make him a villain.
Awolowo couldn't sacrifice Yorubaland to be used as a battle ground at the expense of Ojukwu's selfish wet-dreams.

What are we talking about here? Awolowo never ruled the Nigerian State as a whole.
He was just a leader of the Western Region and if we compare the South West to the other parts of Nigeria(until IBB developed Abuja), the people in the East and those in the North will feel short-changed.

The development and the industrialization in the West were heads and shoulders above the rest of the country.
He educated everyone willing to go to school in the West and that included the Igbos and the Hausas/Fulanis staying in the West.

Bros I agree with you. However, the greatest Nigerian leader is always a subjective issue and for obvious reasons, Ndigbo will never accept that.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Katsumoto: 6:33pm On Jun 04, 2010
Dede1:

I could not believe you are bent on drawing unparallel analogy between Nigeria and the political arrangement that involves Scotland and England. The last time I check though, Scotland had football team that represented it as a country in a sport competition played amongst nations. Scotland had qualified as one the countries to participate in World Cup.

However, the political entities known as regions were not consider as a nation or nation state. As far as I am concerned, Scotland is a nation state with loose federation with England and another entity to form Great Britain. It is very unfortunate you are drawing such comparison.

The loose federation that existed in Great Britain can not compared with the federalism in USA.

If I remember correctly, Scottish MPS sit in the House of parliament and are allowed to vote on certain issues. Scotland may have a football team but the last I remember, all scots, Northern Irish, Welsh, and English carry British passports. I can also draw parallels because Nigeria received its independence from great britain.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Sauron1: 6:35pm On Jun 04, 2010
Katsumoto:

Bros I agree with you. However, the greatest Nigerian leader is always a subjective issue and for obvious reasons, Ndigbo will never accept that.

The facts speak for itself. . . . .Who cares what the Ndigbos think?
How many Prime Universities were in the West compared to the other regions back then?
Which of Azikwe or Balewa had the foresight to implement Free Education to liberate their people from illiteracy?
Only a consummate retard would even debate how astute Awolowo was as a leader. . . .

Justcash:

That Awolowo was tribalistic and regional in his approach is not an insult to him. It shows that with his position, he had to be so, in order to make the right impact and deliver to the prople he is responsible to. The west was known to be Yoruba land. He operated with that at the back of his head. He dint care If other national benefited, his sole aim was to ensure the development of yoruba land and people.
Nnamdi Azikiwe was more concerned about leading Nigeria as whole, even at the detriment of his tribe and people. He actually saw Nigeria as a whole, and could actually answer Nigeria than Igboland when asked where he was from. This explains why he even fought to be a political figure in Yorubaland. If Zik had Igbos at the back of his head, he would have concentrated on Igboland and competed to become the political figure head there, in order to represent them and compete for development. These were what Awolowo never Ignored.

Heap of applesauce. . . . .

There were 3 leaders in charge of 3 regions in Nigeria.
Awolowo had the West, Balewa was in the North and Azikwe was in the East.
How can anyone tell me Azikwe's share of expenditure went into developing Nigeria as a whole? How could that have happened?
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Justcash(m): 6:37pm On Jun 04, 2010
~Sauron~:

LOL! Mr Sauron: That is your point of view.

My point of view is that Awolowo was no where near Sam Mbakwe and Okpara in purposeful leadership.

A child in it's mother's stomach thinks that the size of it's mother's stomach is the size of the world.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Sauron1: 6:44pm On Jun 04, 2010
Justcash:

LOL! Mr Sauron: That is your point of view.

My point of view is that Awolowo was no where near Sam Mbakwe and Okpara in purposeful leadership.

A child in it's mother's stomach thinks that the size of it's mother's stomach is the size of the world.

Of course. . . . . . .
Sam Mbakwe built 2000 Universities for his people. . . . . .He also implemented free education but those boys in Aba refused.
What didn't he do? He is even greater than Nelson Mandela of South Africa.
How anyone can tell me a secessionist like Mbakwe deserves a mention borders on LUNACY. . . .

Mbakwe and Gbenga Daniels have the same level of credibility in Nigerian Politics and that's about it.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Orikinla(m): 6:51pm On Jun 04, 2010
What the great Ọbáfẹ́mi Awólọ́wọ̀ achieved as Premier of Western Nigeria in one year is what Chief Olusegun Obasanjo has failed to achieve as the head of state of Nigeria. Since Ọbáfẹ́mi Awólọ́wọ̀ passed away, the Yoruba nation no longer has a leader.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by TewMuch: 6:52pm On Jun 04, 2010
Justcash:

Your second statement in bold: Shows that you were thinking with your heart than your head. Pls point out where I said that ZIk kept Nigeria as one? Can you check up the meaning of being "Nationalistic" in leadership? If you don't know, pls research to avoid spewing out your ignorance.

Your third statement in bold: Your statement could actually be true. The question is, in his greediness, was his Nationalistic? Think again!

Your fourth statement in bold: Don't let Awolowo, Obasanjo and co to hear you! They'll be angry that you think that they wasted their time and effort! Who plotted the starvation strategy that left Biafra handicapped? Who accepted the surrender of Biafra? Go and do a proper research my dear friend. If the Yorubas dint want one Nigeria, alot of things would have been different now. I still ponder why the sacrificed so much for it?
You guys love to hang onto the Biafra line, now answer this question; would the entity called Nigeria exist if Zik did not go with the Northerners to create Nigeria to meet his greedy ends? Because the westerners refused him leadership he wanted to rule them by all means and settled for figure head ruler. what a shame to Igbo's. Now when that same entity Nigeria did not work, they wanted to carve out Biafra. You think Yoruba's will follow you into that nonsense? after forcing them to be in Nigeria, you now want to run when you dont have your way. Abeg stop crying over spilt milk, no one betrayed you, you betrayed yourselves. The moment you begin to ccept and acknowledge that the faster Igboland will progress. Awolowo was the greatest and a great visionary, he saw the dangers of Nigeria, and concentrated on his own regional development which many Igbo's benefitted. Zik's greed is the cause of Nigeria's failure and the failure of the so called Biafra. That is who you should be blaming. Stop throwing blame where it does not fit. If not for the fact that Yoruba's are very good with History, you guys will be trying to tell us who we are.  grin
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Sauron1: 6:53pm On Jun 04, 2010
Orikinla:

What the great Ọbáfẹ́mi Awólọ́wọ̀ achieved as Premier of Western Nigeria in one year is what Chief Olusegun Obasanjo has failed to achieve as the head of state of Nigeria. Since Ọbáfẹ́mi Awólọ́wọ̀ passed away, the Yoruba nation no longer has a leader.

I agree 100%. . . .
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by orisebawo(m): 6:54pm On Jun 04, 2010
Are you for real, I am a yoruba man and I respect Awolowo very well but your assertion that  he had no equal is nothing but a fallacy, the Awolowo I know was a tribal leader i.e a local champion and he was never denied the presidency, he just didnt have the skills needed, he failed to evolve from a yoruba man to a Nigerian, he promoted tribalism by implying that the yoruba tribe was the best . When I read about Yoruba  leaders still going to Ikenne to meet with Awolowo's wife, it further buttresses my point that the Awolowo's are just trying to remain in the limelight and not really after any development and apparently not making any impact.

The Awolowo's should leave the younger generation to lead, afterall how old was Awolowo when he was the premier of the western region.

I respect him for what he did in western nigeria but that is where it ends, he was not a true Nigerian like Abiola, who was recognised all over Nigeria and is the only man that was denied the presidency.

I am not slighting him I am only saying the truth.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by TewMuch: 6:56pm On Jun 04, 2010
orisebawo:

Are you for real, I am a yoruba man and I respect Awolowo very well but your assertion that he had no equal is nothing but a fallacy, the Awolowo I know was a tribal leader i.e a local champion and he was never denied the presidency, he just didnt have the skills needed, he failed to evolve from a yoruba man to a Nigerian, he promoted tribalism by implying that the yoruba tribe was the best . When I read about Yoruba leaders still going to Ikenne to meet with Awolowo's wife, it further buttresses my point that the Awolowo's are just trying to remain in the limelight and not really after any development and apparently not making any impact.

The Awolowo's should leave the younger generation to lead, afterall how old was Awolowo when he was the premier of the western region.

I respect him for what he did in western nigeria but that is where it ends, he was not a true Nigerian like Abiola, who was recognised all over Nigeria and is the only man that was denied the presidency.

Sure, anyone on Nairaland can open an alternate account and claim they are Yoruba. Please recite your oriki if you know what you are talking about otherwise, open another username and come with a new point of view. you sound very Igbo. cheesy
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Dede1(m): 6:58pm On Jun 04, 2010
Katsumoto:

If I remember correctly, Scottish MPS sit in the House of parliament and are allowed to vote on certain issues. Scotland may have a football team but the last I remember, all scots, Northern Irish, Welsh, and English carry British passports. I can also draw parallels because Nigeria received its independence from great britain.

Great Britain comprised nation states that were politically held together through a loose federation. Most world bodies regard Northern Ireland, Wale, Scotland and England as countries. In fact, they are countries that makeup United Kingdom. Granted that Nigeria gain its independence from Great Britain does not mean it was politically organized as the later. If this was the case, the regions in Nigeria would have given way to more politically independent nation states with loose federation at the center than obtained in 1950s and 60s.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by babapupa: 6:59pm On Jun 04, 2010
Onlytruth:

It was not in the 60s. I'm talking about the incidence of the early 1950s when Nigeria was still trying to create a national character, when we could have emerged a beautifully united country at independence. Awo killed all that, such that when independence came, it was a damaged good - a product of chicanery and deceit.

Yes, Nigeria could have emerged a completely different country.

You obviously have a warped understanding of Nigeria and the system of government back in the period you're talking about.

The country was under a regional administrative system and Awolowo was the premier of the western region.

As the premier/head of the western region, his job was to work for and look out for the people of the western region of Nigeria, not the federal republic of Nigeria or Northern and Eastern Nigeria.

You got it all wrong, he did basically what he was charged to do in the 50's and he did a great job.

Nigeria as a country is still reaping the benefits of many of his great and yet to be duplicated achievements.

Talking about National character under a regional set up where each region was in charge of it's own destiny sounds very ignorant and laughable.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Justcash(m): 7:01pm On Jun 04, 2010
~Sauron~:

Of course. . . . . . .
Sam Mbakwe built 2000 Universities for his people. . . . . .He also implemented free education but those boys in Aba refused.
What didn't he do? He is even greater than Nelson Mandela of South Africa.
How anyone can tell me a secessionist like Mbakwe deserves a mention borders on LUNACY. . . .

Mbakwe and Gbenga Daniels have the same level of credibility in Nigerian Politics and that's about it.

Just As Obafemi Awolowo is the same as a Son of a bitch, A coward, an ungrateful F-oo-l and a complete saboteur to me.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Sauron1: 7:02pm On Jun 04, 2010
orisebawo:

Are you for real, I am a yoruba man and I respect Awolowo very well but your assertion that  he had no equal is nothing but a fallacy, the Awolowo I know was a tribal leader i.e a local champion and he was never denied the presidency, he just didnt have the skills needed, he failed to evolve from a yoruba man to a Nigerian, he promoted tribalism by implying that the yoruba tribe was the best . When I read about Yoruba  leaders still going to Ikenne to meet with Awolowo's wife, it further buttresses my point that the Awolowo's are just trying to remain in the limelight and not really after any development and apparently not making any impact.

SPERMFLAKES must occupy where your brain-cells should be.
How did he fail to evolve from a Yoruba man to a Nigerian when his task was to govern the Western Region?
So Awolowo should leave his duties and help the East and North develop their regions?
Jesus Christ. . . . .How dumb can some people reason?

This further proves your first degree illiteracy.
Abiola never held a political post. . . . . .He was a philanthropist. . . .
Comparing Awolowo to Abiola tells me your IQ is lower than your shoe-size.

Justcash:

Just As Obafemi Awolowo is the same as a Son of a naughty woman, A coward, an ungrateful F-oo-l and a complete saboteur to me.

I doubt you know the meaning of that word. . . .
If you do, you are insulting Ojukwu - your HERO!!!
The hero that left his people to rot by going on EXILE. grin grin grin
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by orisebawo(m): 7:03pm On Jun 04, 2010
Lol,

Omo okele okuta ose gbemi
omo woron woron bi atori
oto legun ija, oto legun agbara
eniba gbemi a poole.

Direct from Remo, not far from Ikenne.

That is the problem with you, you believe if I am a yoruba man I should tow the line, I am a nigerian first and then a yoruba man, but in all things we need to be objective, I still remember my dad going to queue at Awolowo,s lying in state over 20 years ago, he was agood man but not one without equal.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by babapupa: 7:04pm On Jun 04, 2010
orisebawo:

Do you guys even read the ridiculous and absurd nonsense you type?
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by TewMuch: 7:05pm On Jun 04, 2010
Justcash:

Just As [b]Nnamdi Azikiwe
(you mean?) is the same as a Son of a naughty woman, A coward, an ungrateful F-oo-l and a complete saboteur to me.[/b]
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Sauron1: 7:06pm On Jun 04, 2010
babapupa:

Do you guys even read the ridiculous and absurd nonsense you type?

Ignore the troll. . . .
Orisebawo is a spambot!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (27) (Reply)

Osun Poll Null As INEC Excludes NRM Candidate, Says Ajulo / 2015: Oshiomhole To Vie For APC Presidential Ticket / Fayose: I Don’t Need Police, DSS Protection Again

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 148
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.