Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,214 members, 7,829,352 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 04:09 AM

How Much Is Reasonable Enough To Give Your Spouse Monthly? - Family (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Much Is Reasonable Enough To Give Your Spouse Monthly? (48564 Views)

I Just Confirm Polygamy Is Reasonable. / How Do You Cope With Pressure To Cheat On Your Spouse? / If You Knew What You Know Now, Would You Marry Your Spouse? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Much Is Reasonable Enough To Give Your Spouse Monthly? by Nobody: 9:28am On Aug 24, 2018
Hanseel1:

This is surely the most realistic and sensible answer on this thread.

I see no need paying your wife monthly allowance when she also works ,giving her monthly money for upkeep should only be if she's jobless,full time housewife.

The best you can do is to purchase worthy gifts for her, when I say gifts I don't mean cheap stuffs and so.

Oh I know what the ladies like cheesy
Re: How Much Is Reasonable Enough To Give Your Spouse Monthly? by franklingud(m): 9:35am On Aug 24, 2018
''whether she is working, doing business or not''

What kind of lame idea is this? Is she totally disabled or what?

Guys like you are the reason most of our girls are lazy. And over dependent on their husbands or boyfriends.

#whattalyf
Re: How Much Is Reasonable Enough To Give Your Spouse Monthly? by donbachi(m): 9:37am On Aug 24, 2018
donbachi:
Pad-500,joy soap-100,body spray-800,roll on-500,data-1000,chewing gum-200,sunday offerings-800...if she is your girlfriend that comes and goes.t-fare-1000=4900naira..by my calculation...make sure sey food dey always dey house.
as dis comment,dey in favour of guys...no bashing.
Re: How Much Is Reasonable Enough To Give Your Spouse Monthly? by queenfav(f): 9:39am On Aug 24, 2018
Oyindidi:
I know of a woman that collects 200k from her husband and I heard she still borrow from lapo.

Don't mind these stupid kids saying trash on this thread.

Even if you're earning a million naira as a woman, you still need the support of your husband. I made that mistake and I'm regretting it.

Op, I don't collect monthly allowance not because I don't need it but I started that way.

Young ladies in the house, don't form good wife and cry later.
lol.. Exactly o. In my case, my husband is a proud igbo man. From day one he asked me how much is ok for me to sort out my needs and that of the house monthly. We agreed on an amount and he credits my account every month end. Most of the girls here are unmarried and actively trying to get praises from nairaland boys. A man is always proud to spend on his woman. If he doesn't have that's a different thing, then she can support him.

2 Likes

Re: How Much Is Reasonable Enough To Give Your Spouse Monthly? by Nobody: 9:45am On Aug 24, 2018
Oyindidi:
I know of a woman that collects 200k from her husband and I heard she still borrow from lapo.

Don't mind these stupid kids saying trash on this thread.

Even if you're earning a million naira as a woman, you still need the support of your husband. I made that mistake and I'm regretting it.

Op, I don't collect monthly allowance not because I don't need it but I started that way.

Young ladies in the house, don't form good wife and cry later.

So are you actually crying now? I mean If your husband is performing his roles & paying the heavy bills, then what do you pay for asides from taking care of yourself. I'm assuming he brings money for food stuffs in the home, Rent, children school fees.

Lets note that in the case you pointed, you are actually earning a good pay, so you're not one average Nigerian wife.
Re: How Much Is Reasonable Enough To Give Your Spouse Monthly? by ImaIma1(f): 9:47am On Aug 24, 2018
Bluezy13:

Goodnight too
Cheers... cheesy

@victorian. This is the point you guys kiss grin

I enjoyed your conversation. Nothing wrong with a man dropping money for upkeep.

A lot of people responding are just talking based on their perspective of marriage

Besides, as long as the couple agree and they are ok with it, every other thing is background noise.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Much Is Reasonable Enough To Give Your Spouse Monthly? by NoToPile: 9:51am On Aug 24, 2018
queenfav:
After reading comments of some men and women on the first page of this thread, i have a prayer of Thanksgiving.
"Heavenly Father, I thank you for making me a hardworking woman and for also giving me a Proud Igbo man that still treats me like a baby girl even though he knows i am making money. Thank you God for the sensible Husband you gave me that knows its his duty to provide. Thank you my Good God for giving me a husband that's wise enough to place me on monthly allowance, without having to come and ask kids on nairaland about it. Amen!
Word of advice.. Women, pls marry well. Many of these men are overgrown kids who will come on nairaland to ask what sexxx position he should use in the bedroom with you. Tueh! I am amazed by the comments of some girls here, biko wait till you are married, then come back and stand by your comment.Maybe English is getting hard or they just want nairaland fame. Either ways, it's appalling!It's a man's duty to give his wife money for the upkeep of the home!Even the Bible says a man that can't provide for his family is worse than an infidel! So you will marry a woman into your house and she will be the one feeding you right? . Oshey!

Honestly na double TUEH,

What then is the role of the man if he can't PROVIDE, it's not like he's out of job or something.

She's working or not it is your responsibility as a man to provide shikena. It's the role of the man to take care of his family which includes his wife (because I am seeing people posting school fees food stuffs alone as responsibilities) as if it's only children that he's to take care of. angry

Nothing wrong if the woman works and she also drops stuffs as most families can't cope with the current economy on one income but it's not her responsibility.

A man should know it is HIS responsibility to take care of HIS FAMILY, whatever his wife makes or add to that is helping the family it is NOT HER RESPONSIBILTY not knowing this is causing a lot of problems today

Those saying women are lazy, Oya switch roles.

Oya lemme sound it again IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILTY AS A MAN TO PROVIDE ( this includes everything your wife needs hair money, pad money etc etc grin) for your wife and kids. grin grin grin
Deal with it, that's how it was, it is and will be.

I wonder the kind of men being raised nowadays.

Know it's your RESPONSIBILTY.

1 Like

Re: How Much Is Reasonable Enough To Give Your Spouse Monthly? by Nobody: 9:51am On Aug 24, 2018
queenfav:
lol.. Exactly o. In my case, my husband is a proud igbo man. From day one's he was d one who asked me how much is ok for me to sort out my needs and that of the house monthly. We agreed om an amount and he credits my account every month end. Most of the girls here are unmarried and actively trying to get praises from nairaland boys. A man is always proud to spend on his woman. If he doesn't have that's a different thing, then she can support him.

Honestly sometimes It's just better to be a woman in this world.
Asides from delivering children & nurturing them, which is a lot of pain really. I think this is just the only hardship on being a woman.

Every other thing is a Plus, while you are single, different suitors come with their blessings.
When you're married, You have a job, earn decent pay & yet husbands will still give you allowances.

Chaii Na wa oh grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: How Much Is Reasonable Enough To Give Your Spouse Monthly? by Nobody: 9:53am On Aug 24, 2018
pocohantas:

Una go come online dey form Miss Independent, na una type fit chop man destiny if im lose guard.

I wee nor loose Guard IJN. Amen cheesy cheesy grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Much Is Reasonable Enough To Give Your Spouse Monthly? by Nobody: 9:59am On Aug 24, 2018
gonkin:
She doesn't have to give u directly would u even take it if she does?
Why won't I take it?
Re: How Much Is Reasonable Enough To Give Your Spouse Monthly? by Nobody: 10:02am On Aug 24, 2018
Females on this platform have a record of calling people who don't agree with them 'broke, kid, stingy'.

It's time you guys realize that all men aren't the same,this is the 21st century not 1950.
There are men who'll place you on monthly salary, be happy for that. If you see others who won't place their wives on monthly salary, don't ridicule them.

I can't be cooking, sharing all sorts of chores then you still expect me to place my wife on monthly salary.

The kind of comments from you women says alot about you people especially those ones from the igbo extraction.

1 Like

Re: How Much Is Reasonable Enough To Give Your Spouse Monthly? by Nobody: 10:05am On Aug 24, 2018
cruchenutii:

Asides from delivering children & nurturing them, which is a lot of pain really. I think this is just the only hardship on being a woman.

Every other thing is a Plus, while you are single, different suitors come with their blessings.
When you're married, You have a job, earn decent pay & yet husbands will still give you allowances.

How exactly are women enjoying?? Upon all the degradation, subjugation and all sorts of nonsense women go through in Nigeria and other African countries, you still stay women are enjoying.

Honestly, how old are you?

Well, a typical Nigerian female. I wouldn't expect much.
Re: How Much Is Reasonable Enough To Give Your Spouse Monthly? by Nobody: 10:05am On Aug 24, 2018
It depends on ur income. At least 30% is enough (my opinion)

1 Like

Re: How Much Is Reasonable Enough To Give Your Spouse Monthly? by Huchennar(m): 10:06am On Aug 24, 2018
Bluezy13:

I like you.
I would have fallen for you if you were single.

You successfully and effortlessly disclosed your friend's own, but you didn't disclose yours.
And that's unjust.

So, tell me; how much do you get monthly from your husband??
Re: How Much Is Reasonable Enough To Give Your Spouse Monthly? by addictiv(m): 10:28am On Aug 24, 2018
ZIMDRILL:

your are missing the big picture you are still a boy

1st its how nigerians 2i assume you are" too misuse the words Upkeep/allowance to wife

2nd your wife shouldnt be given money for upkeep or allowance as you say but should have money monthly "if possible" to buy things like earrings perfume, bras, pants, shoes, clothes new hair ourfit etc things that even if she wasnt married had money she would buy those regardless being married or not

3rd so you aint paying her salary as think or see but the money is to buy new stuff for herself eg a sexy dress etc things that make her look beautiful a nice dress etc sure you wouldnt want your wife to be known to wear the same outfit for the whole year

4th remember this money applies to both men and women as man you need money for beer if you drink, money for a new season jersey for your fav team etc this money is from that covers personal needs after paying main expenses and also if your monthly income can afford that

If you read my post well you will realise that I have already empowered her to buy any thing she wants by getting her a well paying job. I believe a woman who is married should be cared for and pampered by her husband. I believe he should buy her nice things and give her funds when he can. But it should not be on a monthly basis and she should have her own role and contribution to the home front. I grew up in a family where my dad and mum are both earning and while my mum uses her money to run the home and buy foodstuffs, clothes for kids etc. My dad took care of the capital expenses like building projects, school fees, cars, travel, during holidays he would take us shopping, as we grew older he started giving us money for upkeep esp during Christmas season and other festive periods, he will also buy bags and cans of foodstuffs some to give out and the rest for the home.. My dad has never come home to hear that there is no garri, or money for soup no de. Cos feeding and clothing (herself and her daughters ) is primarily my mum's responsibility. It doesn't mean he doesn't buy her gifts or gives her money when he wants to. They have their system and have peacefully and successfully run it for years. Bearing the whole responsibility alone as a man will only run you down and Wear you out. For all those quoting Bible saying it's a man's responsibility to provide for his house I absolutely agree but I will also remind them that most women in the Bible were primarily house wive's who didn't work and relied on the husband for everything. Now most women re working and have to play a role in the home. Lord knows I ll run mad if my wife keeps asking me for monthly money for home upkeep when she's earning. Monthly money is only for house wives.

1 Like

Re: How Much Is Reasonable Enough To Give Your Spouse Monthly? by Nobody: 10:39am On Aug 24, 2018
Hanseel1:

How exactly are women enjoying?? Upon all the degradation, subjugation and all sorts of nonsense women go through in Nigeria and other African countries, you still stay women are enjoying.

Honestly, how old are you?

Well, a typical Nigerian female. I wouldn't expect much.

I'm 3 years old sir, trust me I am.

Let it be known to you that even with the issues in Nigeria women go through, they never want to fully embrace a part of feminism, which is equality. At least this threads shows you how women don't want to 50/50 manage a home Financially.

Well, personally knowing that 50/50 marriage doesn't translate to Financially alone, they do help in other areas that makes up for their 50%.

Issue with Nigeria is, It is hard place to live in economically. But still women still prefer to receive monthly stipends even when they earn higher or exact pay as the spouse, instead of combining forces financially. They rather just collect their stipends & keep their own money.

And please, this reasoning is to Nigeria alone, some African countries are actually more enlightened.
Re: How Much Is Reasonable Enough To Give Your Spouse Monthly? by Oyindidi(f): 10:39am On Aug 24, 2018
cruchenutii:

So are you actually crying now? I mean If your husband is performing his roles & paying the heavy bills, then what do you pay for asides from taking care of yourself. I'm assuming he brings money for food stuffs in the home, Rent, children school fees.

Lets note that in the case you pointed, you are actually earning a good pay, so you're not one average Nigerian wife.

The rich also cry. My own case I don't know how to demand from someone, if I do then I am in a very tight corner. When I got married 11 years ago, I didn't know there's something like family upkeep. I gladly accepts whatever was given to me then and I don't even know what to do with my own money. But now game don change..

2 Likes

Re: How Much Is Reasonable Enough To Give Your Spouse Monthly? by tunary(m): 10:40am On Aug 24, 2018
This question is a wrong question
Re: How Much Is Reasonable Enough To Give Your Spouse Monthly? by Oyindidi(f): 10:41am On Aug 24, 2018
queenfav:
lol.. Exactly o. In my case, my husband is a proud igbo man. From day one's he was d one who asked me how much is ok for me to sort out my needs and that of the house monthly. We agreed om an amount and he credits my account every month end. Most of the girls here are unmarried and actively trying to get praises from nairaland boys. A man is always proud to spend on his woman. If he doesn't have that's a different thing, then she can support him.
We need to teach the younger ladies.. Most of the commenters(guys) are bellow 18 years old.

1 Like

Re: How Much Is Reasonable Enough To Give Your Spouse Monthly? by gonkin(m): 10:43am On Aug 24, 2018
Hanseel1:

Why won't I take it?
Strong men

1 Like

Re: How Much Is Reasonable Enough To Give Your Spouse Monthly? by Ayowumie(m): 11:00am On Aug 24, 2018
It is saddening reading through many of the comments on the first page.

The OP simply asked how much is enough for a wife's upkeep or for wife's personal allowance. Whether an African setting or not, it is not out of place placing on wife on allowance whether she is working on not.

To answer the OP's question. What is enough as allowance is relative. It all depends on your income, your financial responsibilities in the house besides the allowance, your view on what your wife can ask you to routinely buy and your wife's perspective on her own finance.

addictiv:

...My dad took care of the capital expenses like building projects, school fees, cars, travel, during holidays he would take us shopping, as we grew older he started giving us money for upkeep esp during Christmas season and other festive periods, he will also buy bags and cans of foodstuffs some to give out and the rest for the home.. My dad has never come home to hear that there is no garri, or money for soup no de. Cos feeding and clothing (herself and her daughters ) is primarily my mum's responsibility. It doesn't mean he doesn't buy her gifts or gives her money when he wants to. They have their system and have peacefully and successfully run it for years. Bearing the whole responsibility alone as a man will only run you down and Wear you out. For all those quoting Bible saying it's a man's responsibility to provide for his house I absolutely agree but I will also remind them that most women in the Bible were primarily house wive's who didn't work and relied on the husband for everything. Now most women re working and have to play a role in the home. Lord knows I ll run mad if my wife keeps asking me for monthly money for home upkeep when she's earning. Monthly money is only for house wives.

Well, to each his own. I actually do not agree with the premise of your argument that feeding is primarily your mum's responsibility or should be primarily a woman's responsibility but i do agree with you that bearing the responsibility alone as a man will run you down and wear you out. By the way, monthly money is not only house wives. That is my view.

1 Like

Re: How Much Is Reasonable Enough To Give Your Spouse Monthly? by Nobody: 11:02am On Aug 24, 2018
Oyindidi:
The rich also cry. My own case I don't know how to demand from someone, if I do then I am in a very tight corner. When I got married 11 years ago, I didn't know there's something like family upkeep. I gladly accepts whatever was given to me then and I don't even know what to do with my own money. But now game don change..

You didn't get married 11years ago, stop the fake life.
I don't know who you're trying to impress but you forgot you've always revealed yourself on this forum, the internet never forgets.

The fact that you and Victorian are spreading lies on this thread, being fake etc shows that you two are more childish than the people you guys accuse of being childish.

Your post is fake but I still want to help your ministry by replying you.

What exactly do you want?

You work, right? so which upkeep are you talking about?

Victorian aka alexialin it's enough time you stop living a fake life on this forum.
At first you were a 38 years old single lady

2ndly, you've companies, cars and blah blah..

Again.. you are just a lady struggling with your man

Now, you're married and blah blah.

Oyindidi behave yourself. You two should stop spreading lies on this forum.
Re: How Much Is Reasonable Enough To Give Your Spouse Monthly? by SeriousPartner(f): 11:05am On Aug 24, 2018
Be giving her whatever you can comfortably afford to be giving her but whenever you truly don't have enough to give her, she should be ready to still manage your home well, bear with you & make you happy throughout.
Re: How Much Is Reasonable Enough To Give Your Spouse Monthly? by Nobody: 11:11am On Aug 24, 2018
ZIMDRILL:

your are missing the big picture you are still a boy

1st its how nigerians 2i assume you are" too misuse the words Upkeep/allowance to wife

2nd your wife shouldnt be given money for upkeep or allowance as you say but should have money monthly "if possible" to buy things like earrings perfume, bras, pants, shoes, clothes new hair ourfit etc things that even if she wasnt married had money she would buy those regardless being married or not

3rd so you aint paying her salary as think or see but the money is to buy new stuff for herself eg a sexy dress etc things that make her look beautiful a nice dress etc sure you wouldnt want your wife to be known to wear the same outfit for the whole year

4th remember this money applies to both men and women as man you need money for beer if you drink, money for a new season jersey for your fav team etc this money is from that covers personal needs after paying main expenses and also if your monthly income can afford that

You're contradicting yourself.

If you should call him a boy because he doesn't want to give his wife monthly upkeep then I'll call you a kid because I can remember when I logged in sometime ago I saw a thread about a lady insulting a man who didn't give her money for cab after date, You supported the man.

If you can support a man for not footing all the bills of his date then you're a kid .

Now, responding to that line.. Who'd give the man the money required to purchase the beer you're talking about?
Re: How Much Is Reasonable Enough To Give Your Spouse Monthly? by queenfav(f): 11:29am On Aug 24, 2018
Oyindidi:
We need to teach the younger ladies.. Most of the commenters(guys) are bellow 18 years old.
I swear...lolz

1 Like

Re: How Much Is Reasonable Enough To Give Your Spouse Monthly? by queenfav(f): 11:31am On Aug 24, 2018
cruchenutii:

Na so u think abi? Lol
Re: How Much Is Reasonable Enough To Give Your Spouse Monthly? by victorian(f): 11:32am On Aug 24, 2018
ImaIma1:

@victorian. This is the point you guys kiss grin

I enjoyed your conversation. Nothing wrong with a man dropping money for upkeep.

A lot of people responding are just talking based on their perspective of marriage

Besides, as long as the couple agree and they are ok with it, every other thing is background noise.

Lol cheesy

Na so..

Stop reading mills and boons cheesy
Re: How Much Is Reasonable Enough To Give Your Spouse Monthly? by victorian(f): 11:34am On Aug 24, 2018
Sop18:
Don't conclude yet your husband can still earn more!

By God's grace, he will earn more. Amen. smiley

Thanks smiley

1 Like

Re: How Much Is Reasonable Enough To Give Your Spouse Monthly? by victorian(f): 11:39am On Aug 24, 2018
cruchenutii:

Madame, It's like you will invite me to meet this your Lawyer oh, You cannot be enjoying the connections alone grin
In terms of the 60k salary & other sources of income.
It's not easy oh. Some fields are just low earners, you need to change your career path totally.
For example, marketers earn as low as they come. These are hard times

Abeg you go wait first o cheesy

Let him conclude the pending business deals we have on ground with his top clients, first Biko.

After then, u can come into the equation, as long as u have a business plan that sells like hot cake.. That's when he will be interested. If he buys your business idea and see it as a good deal with his rich clients, he will talk percentage with u, which is always 10percent. If u agree?. Then he will tell u what steps to take in making your documentations tight.

But first let him complete my own first grin
Re: How Much Is Reasonable Enough To Give Your Spouse Monthly? by Oyindidi(f): 11:41am On Aug 24, 2018
Hanseel1:

You didn't get married 11years ago, stop the fake life.
I don't know who you're trying to impress but you forgot you've always revealed yourself on this forum, the internet never forgets.

The fact that you and Victorian are spreading lies on this thread, being fake etc shows that you two are more childish than the people you guys accuse of being childish.

Your post is fake but I still want to help your ministry by replying you.

What exactly do you want?

You work, right? so which upkeep are you talking about?

Victorian aka alexialin it's enough time you stop living a fake life on this forum.
At first you were a 38 years old single lady

2ndly, you've companies, cars and blah blah..

Again.. you are just a lady struggling with your man

Now, you're married and blah blah.

Oyindidi behave yourself. You two should stop spreading lies on this forum.
Please, maintain your woman wrappering lanegrin

You don wash her pants this morning? grin

4 Likes

Re: How Much Is Reasonable Enough To Give Your Spouse Monthly? by victorian(f): 11:42am On Aug 24, 2018
generationz:

this your friends husband is an IBO or middle belt man abi

He's from Kogi.
Re: How Much Is Reasonable Enough To Give Your Spouse Monthly? by victorian(f): 11:48am On Aug 24, 2018
kaycee125:
Is that what your father gives your mother monthly??

My dad even gave my mum more when they were both alive.

He opened a thriving business. He was the CEO, she was the MD. They made lots of money. She built three houses in her name with his blessings, he built three as well..
And they loved each other so much. Helping their extended families alongside.

Men of those days are far different from most men of these days who like to complain on every little thing they spend on.. Especially adding value to their wives.

So don't get it twisted.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

My Step-father Sneaked Into My Room And Made Love To Me / It Turns Me On Seeing My Wife Hurt, Sad Or In Pain / Six Habits That Prove A Person Was Born In A Poor Family

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.