Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,845 members, 7,817,502 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:20 PM

What Is The Big Deal About Fashola? Nonsense! - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Is The Big Deal About Fashola? Nonsense! (35713 Views)

See What Wole Soyinka Wrote About Fashola(pic) / The Truth About Fashola's Success / What Is The Big Deal About Fashola? Nonsense! Pt 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Big Deal About Fashola? Nonsense! by Fhemmmy: 1:59am On May 25, 2011
Yes, he is only doing his job, but nice to see a normal human out of all the animals that we have.
Re: What Is The Big Deal About Fashola? Nonsense! by Justcash(m): 2:02am On May 25, 2011
ekt_bear:

Let's be real.

The reason why people are downplaying his accomplishments are:
A) He is in the ACN
B) He is Yoruba

Bluntly speaking, that is the reason why this happening, right? Let's be real with ourselves.

Those who don't care about either of these factors (e.g., the US ambassador I mentioned) will be honest. Or the analysis from the Economist. Or the credit agencies that are trying to assess a state's ability to repay a loan. They don't give a crap about ACN, Yoruba, etc. All they care about is performance.
[b]
No one is downplaying Fashola's accomplishment. He is infact, my best governor. I am Igbo, as you know. It is also not everyone that is a tribal bigot. Personally, I don't hate Yorubas. I only hate some segment of Yorubas because they have shown that they hate Igbos (My own ethnic group). The fact is that Fashola is doing well and fine. But, for me, he is being over hyped.  If you live abroad, and read about Fashola's achievement online, you will be very disappointed when you land in Lagos state to see the reality on ground. That does not in anyway mean that he is not trying. It is only those that know how Lagos was, that will appreciate how it is now.
For example, If you go to Anambra state, you will call Peter Obi the worst (est) governor in Nigeria. But, those that saw Anambra in the past will confirm that it has changed alot (Though, slowly). It is a gradual thing.
There is no basis for comparing Fashola with Arnold. Fashola is not close to him yet. Drop it man, you cannot prove it.[/b]
Re: What Is The Big Deal About Fashola? Nonsense! by manny4life(m): 2:03am On May 25, 2011
ekt_bear:

I've lived in California for almost 5 years now. Arnold didn't do a good job here. Constant budget crises, bankruptcy, issuing i.o.u.s, an inability to control different political factions and build (political) bridges.

Now granted, I'm not an expert on local politics. But those I know who've lived here all their lives and are politically knowledgeable also say the same thing.

Fashola > Arnold probably isn't controversial at all. . . Arnold simply didn't do well

Great, I'm glad you live in CA for five years and you should have asked what CA contributed to U.S. economy 10 years ago. No offense but negative minded people are the ones who are quick to criticize without any solution. You lived in CA during the recession crisis which comes as no surprise obviously, kee in mind I'm no Republican but I closely watched states economies as they unfolded. When the recession hit, Bush did not acknowledge that U.S. was in recession till like 2mos or less till he was about to leave office, meanwhile several states were suffering deficits and budget problesm. If I recall, it was a handful of about 7states that had a somewhat balanced budget including Virgina, several states were selling off state property, Chicago for instance entered into the business of making P.O.R.N movies, several states were doing outrageous and unheard off stuff so do not exclude CA. CA was badly hit unlike other states because they are a huge economic stronghold on the economy and u know this.

Now anyone who knows CA, know CA as the Major economic engine of the U.S., when U.S. crashed, they went down as well, NY followed, Chicago as well as other to cities, IMO there was no better way for him to have handled the crisis. As for political issues and i.o.u., those were quite an unfortunate events that can never be handled by a gov. only. The Gov sends a budget to the house and the whole charade that goes with it and lawmakers pride themselves that they chose to do what they felt they want to and not what the people want. There was nothing he could have done than issue I.O.U, prime example is the FG Govt shutdown that was averted about a month and half ago, if u remember it.

Prime examples CA ports handle more than 40% sea traffic (import and export) of the U.S., all th whole fruits, veggies, beef, etc supplied throughout out the U.S. comes from CA, most of the tech and advanced companies are in CA, like I can continue to list a whole lot as u can see when our economy slumped they followed immediately.

Ok I want to go and buy Mega Million, wish me luck tonight, Will be back in 20mins.
Re: What Is The Big Deal About Fashola? Nonsense! by ektbear: 2:22am On May 25, 2011
@manny4life: Texas didn't suffer like California did. Texas didn't ruin its credit rating like California did. Texas is not drowning in a sea of debt.

I don't understand how you are justifying the performance of a man who has left his state a mess. A guy who has had such great difficulty passing budgets. A guy who left office with approval ratings in the low 20s (FYI, low 20s is very bad.) Granted, some of it might not be his fault.

But he simply did not do well as governor.

Now granted, in some hypothetical situation where Fashola had been governor, maybe he'd have flopped too. Perhaps much of this is out of a guy's hands.

But to pretend as if based upon track records, Arnold is a better administrator than Fash? Simply ludicrous

EDIT: lol, good luck on the mega millions.
Re: What Is The Big Deal About Fashola? Nonsense! by EkoIle1: 2:34am On May 25, 2011
manny4life:

No one is disputing the fact that he is the best; the content of the matter is that he is over-hyped as it is. Come to think of it, you answered it in your own post, but hey if he's over-hyped, well I guess he deserves the hype from people who haven't seen it let alone feel it. For instance someone like me though I give him due credit but I sure ain't hyped like Eko-Ile because I guess we have different experiences. It takes a lot to hype me because at least I've seen it all or some of it.

Call it hype or what ever makes you snore well at night. What many of you call hype is basically state pride to me. I like what my state and my governor is doing. It's not my fault that many have no pride in themselves and their states, they obviously have nothing to be proud of because their state/leaders are not doing anything to be proud of.

I'm proud of my state and if I see Fashola commissioning even a common overhead pedestrian bridge, I'll take a picture and clap joyously.

Rome wasn't built in a day, they started from somewhere.

You people see me post pictures and talk about something new or just commissioned project by Fashola everyday, but you are yet to challenge me by doing the same with any order governor in Nigeria, not even the federal government, obviously, it's not hype, it's reality because it happens everyday and like I said, it's unchallenged by any other government in Nigeria.

There's just too much bad bele and tribalism clouding people's judgment and sense of fairness.
Re: What Is The Big Deal About Fashola? Nonsense! by manny4life(m): 2:40am On May 25, 2011
ekt_bear:

@manny4life: Texas didn't suffer like California did. Texas didn't ruin its credit rating like California did. Texas is not drowning in a sea of debt.

I don't understand how you are justifying the performance of a man who has left his state a mess. A guy who has had such great difficulty passing budgets. A guy who left office with approval ratings in the low 20s (FYI, low 20s is very bad.) Granted, some of it might not be his fault.

But he simply did not do well as governor.

Now granted, in some hypothetical situation where Fashola had been governor, maybe he'd have flopped too. Perhaps much of this is out of a guy's hands.

But to pretend as if based upon track records, Arnold is a better administrator than Fash? Simply ludicrous

EDIT: lol, good luck on the mega millions.

Texas, Florida, Virginia and a few republican states were of the 7/10 states that did not get hit badly; Texas isn't economically stronghold like NY, Chicago, CA, et al. While it's just a huge state, their economic output is nothing compared to CA or other cities. Look I'm not justifying anything but merely telling you the truth; yes his ratings were low, obviously some of his actions were his own but as far as the ones you listed, those had nothing to do with him. The man tried all he could do like for instance if people are not exporting, where are the revenues? If people are not working because the demand of a product is low, how do u expect to get a tax revenue when you're paying unemployment compensation? The CA economy really was dependent on consumers around the U.S. and not just Californians.

I have told you, passing budgets is certainly not his fault, blame the ego driven lawmakers. Now if his office did not prepare the budget on time for the house to sit and deliberate on it, that's different, but when you have prideful lawmakers who would rather allow their egos, budgets at least to a wide extent were not his fault. Arnold was trying; there were so much on his plate, from massive deficits, to political issues to criminal issues like the penal criminal system to social issue like gay marriage to environmental system with the EPA, to the health care system even constitutional problems. Arnold had so much on his plate than ANY other sitting governor within his term. It takes grace to handle it all. Again I'm not justifying his low ratings, but there are so much one person can handle. Like seriously look at most of the strong cases heard in the Federal court to the U.S. Court of Appeals, most of them are from 9th Circuit, most of which stemmed from Arnold term.
Re: What Is The Big Deal About Fashola? Nonsense! by gdini2003: 2:45am On May 25, 2011
Here's another way to look at it.

Fashola is not hyped enough and not given enough credit. They should sing his praises in all religious institutions during every holy day of worship.

People on this thread are saying "he is just doing his job" and "Lagos state should be easy to govern"? I find these statements incredibly naive.
Have you stopped to consider the complexity of administering millions on citizens? Nigerian citizens in a third world environment for that matter.
His works are extraordinary and unprecedented. It is just the simple truth.
Re: What Is The Big Deal About Fashola? Nonsense! by manny4life(m): 2:50am On May 25, 2011
Eko Ile:

Call it hype or what ever makes you snore well at night. What many of you call hype is basically state pride to me. I like what my state and my governor is doing. It's not my fault that many have no pride in themselves and their states, they obviously have nothing to be proud of because their state/leaders are not doing anything to be proud of.

I'm proud of my state and if I see Fashola commissioning even a common overhead pedestrian bridge, I'll take a picture and clap joyously.

Rome wasn't built in a day, they started from somewhere.

You people see me post pictures and talk about something new or just commissioned project by Fashola everyday, but you are yet to challenge me by doing the same with any order governor in Nigeria, not even the federal government, obviously, it's not hype, it's reality because it happens everyday and like I said, it's unchallenged by any other government in Nigeria.

There's just too much bad bele and tribalism clouding people's judgment and sense of fairness.

Hey nothing wrong with you having pride in your state; feel free to do so at your pleasure. At least you said you have pride in your Governor, no one is in doubt of his success, again in IMO, if he's really worth the hype, then hey by all means, give him the praise ain't nothing wrong with it. I'm just saying that the man has done a great job but there's an over-hype to it. This has nothing to do with other governors, you're not looking at other governors when hyping, but looking at his success therefore other governors are irrelevant to this issue.
Re: What Is The Big Deal About Fashola? Nonsense! by ObamaUS: 3:00am On May 25, 2011
comparing the huge revenues arising from taxes and the FG allocations.FASHOLA has done nothing extra-ordinary.He's got a great PR and that's working for him.
It's when he leaves office that pple will know he's not done much compared to what he gets, Most of the money goes into TINUBU's pockets
Re: What Is The Big Deal About Fashola? Nonsense! by ektbear: 3:10am On May 25, 2011
manny4life:

Texas, Florida, Virginia and a few republican states were of the 7/10 states that did not get hit badly; Texas isn't economically stronghold like NY, Chicago, CA, et al.
Texas is the #2 economy in the US, after California.

While it's just a huge state, their economic output is nothing compared to CA or other cities. Look I'm not justifying anything but merely telling you the truth; yes his ratings were low, obviously some of his actions were his own but as far as the ones you listed, those had nothing to do with him. The man tried all he could do like for instance if people are not exporting, where are the revenues? If people are not working because the demand of a product is low, how do u expect to get a tax revenue when you're paying unemployment compensation? The CA economy really was dependent on consumers around the U.S. and not just Californians.
Those macroeconomic factors, every state had to deal with. He was not able to cut down spending or raise taxes. One of the first things he did when he got into office was to make some tax cut that later on bit him in the ass and made him unable to balance the budget.

I have told you, passing budgets is certainly not his fault, blame the ego driven lawmakers. Now if his office did not prepare the budget on time for the house to sit and deliberate on it, that's different, but when you have prideful lawmakers who would rather allow their egos, budgets at least to a wide extent were not his fault.
It is his job to build consensus. That simply isn't a good enough excuse.

Arnold was trying; there were so much on his plate, from massive deficits, to political issues to criminal issues like the penal criminal system to social issue like gay marriage to environmental system with the EPA, to the health care system even constitutional problems. Arnold had so much on his plate than ANY other sitting governor within his term. It takes grace to handle it all. Again I'm not justifying his low ratings, but there are so much one person can handle. Like seriously look at most of the strong cases heard in the Federal court to the U.S. Court of Appeals, most of them are from 9th Circuit, most of which stemmed from Arnold term.
Any way you want to slice it, he did not perform.

Otoh, Fashola performed. And nobody can tell me running a state with 18 million people with only a $2 billion annual budget is a substantially easier job than running California.

Fashola performed well (at a very difficult job), Schwarzenegger did not.
Re: What Is The Big Deal About Fashola? Nonsense! by ektbear: 3:11am On May 25, 2011
ObamaUS:

comparing the huge revenues arising from taxes and the FG allocations.FASHOLA has done nothing extra-ordinary.He's got a great PR and that's working for him.
It's when he leaves office that pple will know he's not done much compared to what he gets, Most of the money goes into TINUBU's pockets

Better to go into Tinubu's pockets than PDP slush fund pockets. Heh.

$2 billion in revenue for 18 million people isn't that much. Compare this to Rivers State and Akwa Ibom which get comparable money, but have to deal with 1/3 or 1/4 of the population. . .

Probably if we look deeply into things, we'll find that there is a lot being plundered from both Rivers and Akwa Ibom.
Re: What Is The Big Deal About Fashola? Nonsense! by EkoIle1: 3:16am On May 25, 2011
manny4life:

Hey nothing wrong with you having pride in your state; feel free to do so at your pleasure. At least you said you have pride in your Governor, no one is in doubt of his success, again in IMO, if he's really worth the hype, then hey by all means, give him the praise ain't nothing wrong with it. I'm just saying that the man has done a great job but there's an over-hype to it. This has nothing to do with other governors, you're not looking at other governors when hyping, but looking at his success therefore other governors are irrelevant to this issue.

Are you looking at other governors as you make your over hype comments?

And what do you mean by over hype?

Do you mean he's not doing what we are attributing to him?

Your over hype label is pretty much useless and irrelevant simply because the man's accomplishments in less that 4 years is out there in brick and mortar.  

Is the Time magazine over hyping him too?

Is the huffington post over hyping him too

Is the economist of London over hyping him too

Is President Clinton over hyping him too

Is the UN-Habitat over hyping him too

Was the Martin Luther King Leadership Award just a hype

It's darn easy to keep going on and on, the over hype lingo exist only in your head and unfortunately for you, realities on the ground, Lagos electorates, local and foreign media, local and foreign institutions and world leaders all disagree with your silly over hype rubbish.

This is how we kill ourselves with bad bele, some of us will go to our graves instead of admitting the obvious and what the rest of the world proclaimed and labeled the truth.

The joke is on you,
Re: What Is The Big Deal About Fashola? Nonsense! by manny4life(m): 3:23am On May 25, 2011
Eko Ile:

Are you looking at other governors as you make your over hype comments?

And what do you mean by over hype?

Do you mean he's not doing what we are attributing to him?

Your over hype label is pretty much useless and irrelevant simply because the man's accomplishments in less that 4 years is out there in brick and mortar.  

Is the Time magazine over hyping him too?

Is the huffington post over hyping him too

Is the economist of London over hyping him too

Is President Clinton over hyping him too

Is the UN-Habitat over hyping him too

Was the Martin Luther King Leadership Award just a hype

It's darn easy to keep going on and on, the over hype lingo exist only in your head and unfortunately for you, realities on the ground, Lagos electorates, local and foreign media, local and foreign institutions and world leaders all disagree with your silly over hype rubbish.

This is how we kill ourselves with bad bele, some of us will go to our graves instead of admitting the obvious and what the rest of the world proclaimed and labeled the truth.

The joke is on you,

Seriously though? Martin Luther King Award? President Clinton as well? Please I want to see this particularly this Martin Luther king Award, where do I see this as because I want to. As for the Time Magazine, yeah without doubt it's a financial magazine anyway so I'm not surprised
Re: What Is The Big Deal About Fashola? Nonsense! by EkoIle1: 3:26am On May 25, 2011
ekt_bear:

Better to go into Tinubu's pockets than PDP slush fund pockets. Heh.

$2 billion in revenue for 18 million people isn't that much. Compare this to Rivers State and Akwa Ibom which get comparable money, but have to deal with 1/3 or 1/4 of the population. . .

Probably if we look deeply into things, we'll find that there is a lot being plundered from both Rivers and Akwa Ibom.

You can't help but laugh after reading some of these ignorant statements, many of them have no clue about what these other states are playing with in terms of money, many of these states posts larger budgets than Lagos state  with little or nothing to show for it, but they want to talk about Lagos state, this is really ignorant and shameful.

I don't even pay attention to the ones that jumps into anything about Lagos state and start talking about Tinubu, I just don't take them seriously, they basically trash their credibility with that Tinubu reference.
Re: What Is The Big Deal About Fashola? Nonsense! by jmaine: 3:28am On May 25, 2011
Eko Ile:

Olodo can't read and comprehend, Is ibori the governor of rivers state?

Even sef, the only ibori picture doing anything are the pictures of him in jail, pictures of the rolls and mansions he bought with the money he looted from his own people.

We're talking about better people and this clown is talking about criminals and international fugitives.

You have Bleep'ed up values.

Now, if any of you hating clowns have pics, post or STFU.

You amaze me by your penchant to throw abuses when views are contrary to what your mundane ego stands for . .you seriously need to shed your false toga of intelligence cos it stinks a lot . . . Like i told you the other day, try and learn not to engage in fist fights . .are you that naive,uncultured and immature . . .you are just a plain shame . . to whatever you stand to represent . . .My God . . . Your childish brain retorted to pictures as proof of good governance and all i did was tell you pictures should not be used to gauge the impressive performance of Fashola cos previous corrupt government officials brandished lots of picture as a ruse to deceive the public . .the best you could have done is to calm down and decipher the message . but no, what did you do ? you went on your usual orgassmic rage which i suspect gives you the impression of being assertive but it just makes you look more stvpid, silly and amatuerish . . .O boy, you be big time fvck up . . abi you dey always get nightmare . . . ma guy, make you try rearrange your conducts abeg, and you need some doctrine and serious tutorial on the word debate without rage and abuses  . . .

BTW , What gave you the impression that am hating Fashola  shocked shocked . . . You are simply myopic and painfully slow in thinking

manny4life:

^^^^ No offense but seriously u need to tone it down.

You asked for pictures, and he replied if it was by pictures, ibori won and you're here justifying the picture? Seriously?

Oh well, me think it's really not that serious for u to tell someone they have effed u values because they simply do not agree with you.

The guy is irredeemable, Am even tempted to ask him, if he has a home cos am sensing he needs so much love around him . .  . what a shame
Re: What Is The Big Deal About Fashola? Nonsense! by manny4life(m): 3:29am On May 25, 2011
ekt_bear:

Texas is the #2 economy in the US, after California.
Those macroeconomic factors, every state had to deal with. He was not able to cut down spending or raise taxes. One of the first things he did when he got into office was to make some tax cut that later on bit him in the backside and made him unable to balance the budget.
It is his job to build consensus. That simply isn't a good enough excuse.
Any way you want to slice it, he did not perform.

Otoh, Fashola performed. And nobody can tell me running a state with 18 million people with only a $2 billion annual budget is a substantially easier job than running California.

Fashola performed well (at a very difficult job), Schwarzenegger did not.

Sorry I misquoted when I mentioned about largest state; well look we can argue all this, if hypothetically speaking Lagos was in the same thing as CA, I hope Fashola is able to handle it very well.
Re: What Is The Big Deal About Fashola? Nonsense! by manny4life(m): 3:31am On May 25, 2011
manny4life:

Seriously though? Martin Luther King Award? President Clinton as well? Please I want to see this particularly this Martin Luther king Award, where do I see this as because I want to. As for the Time Magazine, yeah without doubt it's a financial magazine anyway so I'm not surprised

Ok I have to give it to him; I just checked it out and he was recognized by the MLK Foundation on "Outstanding Leadership". Quite a honor!
Re: What Is The Big Deal About Fashola? Nonsense! by EkoIle1: 3:33am On May 25, 2011
jmaine:

You amaze me by your penchant to throw abuses when views are contrary to what your mundane ego stands for . .you seriously need to shed your false toga of intelligence cos it stinks a lot . . . Like i told you the other day, try and learn not to engage in fist fights . .are you that naive,uncultured and immature . . .you are just a plain shame . . to whatever you stand to represent . . .My God . . . Your childish brain retorted to pictures as proof of good governance and all i did was tell you pictures should not be used to gouge the impressive performance of Fashola cos previous corrupt government officials brandished lots of picture as a ruse to deceive the public . .the best you could have done is to calm down and decipher the message . but no, what did you do ? you went on your usual orgassmic rage which i suspect gives you the impression of being assertive but it just makes you look more stvpid, silly and amatuerish . . .O boy, you be big time fvck up . . abi you dey always get nightmare . . . ma guy, make you rearrange your conducts abeg, you need some doctrine and serious tutorial on the word debate  . . .

The guy is irredeemable, Am even tempted to ask him, if he has a home cos am sensing he needs so much love around him . .  . what a shame

STFU, I wasn't talking to you or was I debating criminals and convicts, keep all that sad stuff to yourself.

I asked the other poster for pictures, not you and your criminal reference, you suck and your value system suck too.

F'u'c'k off and stop following me around, you are irrelevant and a waste of my internet time. And shove the above rubbish where the sun don't shine.

Please stop quoting and start ignoring my posts on NL.
Re: What Is The Big Deal About Fashola? Nonsense! by EkoIle1: 3:35am On May 25, 2011
manny4life:

Fashola Bags Martin Luther King Leadership Award

Lagos — It was a day of glory for Lagos State Government and residents, alike penultimate Sunday, January 17, as the state governor, Mr. Babatunde Raji Fashola (SAN) was conferred with an Award of Excellence In Leadership by the Martin Luther King, Jnr Foundation as part of activities marking the 42nd anniversary of the assassination of the civil rights leader in Atlanta, Georgia, United States.

http://allafrica.com/stories/201001280539.html

Fashola Receives Clinton Award For Eko Atlantic City

Lagos — Global recognition came the way of the Eko Atlantic City, the brand new city being developed to combat the effects of climate change through reclamation of nine square kilometers of land lost over the years to the Atlantic, as the Lagos State government and its private sector partners on the Project, South Energyx, got the Clinton Global lnitiave Commitment Certificate.

http://allafrica.com/stories/200909290203.html
Re: What Is The Big Deal About Fashola? Nonsense! by jmaine: 3:48am On May 25, 2011
Eko Ile:

STFU, I wasn't talking to you or was I debating criminals and convicts, keep all that sad stuff to yourself.

I asked the other poster for pictures, not you and your criminal reference, you suck and your value system suck too.

F'u'c'k off and stop following me around, you are irrelevant and a waste of my internet time. And shove the above rubbish where the sun don't shine.

Please stop quoting and start ignoring my posts on NL.

Eko Ile is now playing the victim  . . interesting  cheesy cheesy. . abuse all you like . .but you need to always calm down when replying people's post so that you don't allow your rage to get in the way . . . learn to accept contrary views, see the good in them and make your objections in a sane manner . .your approach of always shouting and abusing people[b] ( Eko Ile recommended value system to all nairalanders[/b]) is not a good precedent bruv  . .  and don't feel i picked any special interest in you . . . Am entitled to object to what i feel is not completely correct . . .and you Eko Ile won't be spared when you fall short off the mark . .  . . . You need to curtail your rage factor lest it consumes the other sane side you have . . .  
Re: What Is The Big Deal About Fashola? Nonsense! by babapupa: 4:03am On May 25, 2011
jmaine:

Eko Ile is now playing the victim  . . interesting  cheesy cheesy. . abuse all you like . .but you need to always calm down when replying people's post so that you don't allow your rage to get in the way . . . learn to accept contrary views, see the good in them and make your objections in a sane manner . .your approach of always shouting and abusing people is not a good precedent bruv  . .  and don't feel i picked any special interest in you . . . Am entitled to object to what i feel is not completely correct . . .and you Eko Ile won't be spared when you fall short off the mark . .  . . . You need to curtail your rage factor lest it consumes the other sane side you have . . .  

Look at this dumb i.diot calling fugitive and convicts peddling posts contrary views. Like I said, your value system sucks.

lol @ me playing victim to this criminal worshiping scum bag, lmao.

Anyways, from now on, you exist only on my ignore list. There's just no point conversing with a low life clown like you,
Re: What Is The Big Deal About Fashola? Nonsense! by Katsumoto: 4:14am On May 25, 2011
Ekt Bear and Manny4life

A few facts to consider regarding California
California is beset with two types of problems - a) Macroeconomic ie recession, housing bubble, increased public spending resulting from recession b) Structural and institutional ie California's system of ballot measures, proposition 13 which limits raising taxes, the 1978 voter initiative which requires a two-thirds majority of both houses for tax increases.

Whilst it is easy to absolve Arnold of blame for these two issues because he can't be blamed solely for the recession nor can he be blamed for the structural and institutional issues which existed before his time. Arnold was like a fish out of water; he was out of depth and couldn't respond to the major issues bedeviling California. As governor, Arnold should have taken some bold steps to counter the budget issues he was facing. As governor, Arnold contributed to the budgetary problems by reducing taxes when he didn't need to ignoring the fact that he wasn't going to be able to raise taxes above a certain threshold should the need arise.

Leaders MUST make bold choices like the one made by Wisconsin's governor, who sought to limit public-sector worker's collective bargaining rights as it became obvious that the state can not afford some of the benefits. Arnold should have done the following sought changes to

1. California's system of ballot measures as voters kept opposing cost-cutting measures
2. Proposition 13
3. 1978 voter initiative
4. the limits on property taxes
Re: What Is The Big Deal About Fashola? Nonsense! by bidemi12(m): 4:17am On May 25, 2011
gdini2003:

Here's another way to look at it.

Fashola is not hyped enough and not given enough credit. They should sing his praises in all religious institutions during every holy day of worship.

People on this thread are saying "he is just doing his job" and "Lagos state should be easy to govern"? I find these statements incredibly naive.
Have you stopped to consider the complexity of administering millions on citizens? Nigerian citizens in a third world environment for that matter.
His works are extraordinary and unprecedented. It is just the simple truth.

exactly!!. . . . His works are extraordinary and unprecendented, especialy for a country like Nigeria where the standards for excellence are extremly low. wink
Re: What Is The Big Deal About Fashola? Nonsense! by igboboy1(m): 4:46am On May 25, 2011
eko ile bend down low touch your toe so fashola can give you angle 90, na ur boyfriend? Geez get off the mans d!(K and let him do his job undecided Fashola this fashola that
Re: What Is The Big Deal About Fashola? Nonsense! by babapupa: 4:56am On May 25, 2011
igbo boy:

eko ile bend down low touch your toe so fashola can give you angle 90, na your boyfriend?  Geez get off the mans d!(K and let him do his job  undecided Fashola this fashola that

You shouldn't be recommending your gayish values and favorite pastime to other people and there is no need to broadcast to the world your sexuality, keep that sh.it to yourself you nasty butt pirate.
Re: What Is The Big Deal About Fashola? Nonsense! by Nobody: 5:21am On May 25, 2011
Look if some public officer is doing his job there is nothing wrong in encourage such ppl to keep on with the good job.Fashola has good intentions for lagos state and he is doing his job so i dont see any reason we should bash him.If we must bash someone lets start with the Ex Gov of Zamfara state who used all the state money to have flings in europe with white girls while the ppl in his state was starving and to cap it all he married a 12 yr old egyptian girl and spent thirty thousand dollars as bride price and no doubt the money was part of the largesse he stole as a governor.Or lets bash the ex governor from edo state with a very thick moustacious with the name of Lucky Igbenedion but making edo state an unlucky state.He stole all the money in edo state and used it to build his father"s private university or what about Ibori one of the richest ex governors in nigeria and an ex convict who has an oil refinery in south africa and the USA and stole a lot of money from his state"s coffer while his state was the pooer for it.Fashola is one in a million.
Re: What Is The Big Deal About Fashola? Nonsense! by igboboy1(m): 5:30am On May 25, 2011
babapupa:

You shouldn't be recommending your gayish values and favorite pastime to other people and there is no need to broadcast to the world your sexuality, keep that sh.it to yourself you nasty butt pirate.

batty boy u dey talk too? shocked shocked oh i see eko ile is your shooking partner enh, no wonder u came to his defence, dont be jealous fashola cant steal him from you nau, u were made for each others holes grin

see wetin your tiger faced cousin dey do, only in yoruba land,

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/05/policeman-rapes-impregnates-12-yr-old/

Policeman rapes, impregnates 12-yr-old
On May 25, 2011 · In News
BY GBENGA ARIYIBI
A Police officer in Ekiti State Police Command, has been arrested by the command for allegedly raping and impregnating a 12-year old girl.

The suspect whose name was given as Lasisi Nurudeen Olalekan, was said to have lured the Junior Secondary School, JSS 1, student (names withheld) to a nearby bush around Textile area, Ado Ekiti sometimes last year.

The randy police officer, a corporal has been arrested on the order of the police commissioner, Mr Olayinka Balogun, following a complaint from Mrs Juliana Olajiga, a guardian to the innocent girl.

According to a petition written by Mrs Rita Ilevbare, on behalf of a non-governmental organisation which was forwarded to the State police command, the NGO had raised an alarm over the illicit action of the policeman and called on the police authority to arrest the suspect.

In the petition dated May 19, 2011, the suspect was said to have assaulted Mrs Olajiga when she confronted him over his disgaceful act.

However, the State Commissioner of Police, Mr Balogun has confirmed the reciept of the petition, disclosing that the accused person has been arrested and that a senior officer has been assigned to commence investigations into the matter.

In the petition entitled: “Sexual abuse of Miss Bimbo and assault of Mrs Juliana Olajiga by Police Officer, Lasisi Nurudeen Olalekan”, demand for arrest, investigation and prosecution”, the policeman was alleged to have deceived the victim twice and forcefully had a carnal knowledge of her, which led to her impregnation.

Mrs Olajiga, according to the petition was said to have tried for over three months to locate Olalekan to respond to the complaint from Bimbo, but to no avail .

The NGO further alleged that the victim had inflicted bodily injuries on the complainant (Mrs Olajiga) at her residence Similoluwa on May 12, 2011 when the Policeman was eventually found.

While calling for the prosecution of the suspected police officer, the organisation said, “Sir, it would interest you to note that this child, Bimbo, is a about six months pregnant, a minor, an orphan who is 12 years old

“The education and the future of such a great child has been dimmed by a man, a security agent for that matter, who for any reason, will not allow the future of his children to be tampered with. We demand that justice be done in this matter by arresting and prosecuting Olalekan if indeed is culpable”, it concluded.
Re: What Is The Big Deal About Fashola? Nonsense! by daroz(m): 6:19am On May 25, 2011
@poster
If u are opportunned to know the person of Igbinadion and his achievements in Edo state for 8years, then u will know there is a lot of big deal about Fashola.
Re: What Is The Big Deal About Fashola? Nonsense! by davidayo: 7:30am On May 25, 2011
Men this is appalling people,why cant we see something good and say it as it is. That guy Fashola is a great man and should be celebrated. If others were doing just half wouldnt Nigeria have been a better place. @Poster you just be big fool and you also be witch infact winch. Una no dey like good thing or progress.
Re: What Is The Big Deal About Fashola? Nonsense! by gdini2003: 8:10am On May 25, 2011
Someone said Time magazine is a financial magazine?
Re: What Is The Big Deal About Fashola? Nonsense! by mabell: 8:31am On May 25, 2011
@Poster,
You don't seem to understand,they have the right to appreciate him whether he is doing his job or not
Afterall, his predecessors have come and gone without doing anything
He probably had being tempted over again but he overcame it
He could even be chopping money stylishly but Fashola is working, Lagos is working
Don't worry i am not yoruba neither do i stay in Lagos or close to it grin
Re: What Is The Big Deal About Fashola? Nonsense! by Nobody: 8:34am On May 25, 2011
Eko_Ile or Eko_laa , This your Ibo sentiments is getting outta hand, why are you so Dumb?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply)

Peter Obi And LP's Case Dismissed At PEPT / Jonathan Transition Team Trickish – Buhari Campaign Group / President Buhari Presented With Cards, Trophy For "Capturing Sambisa Forest"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 139
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.