Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,218 members, 7,815,257 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:43 AM

Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! (19599 Views)

Is Senator Bala Ibn'Nallah's Dress Code To An Event Right? (pics) / Dress Code In Lagos House Of Assembly Worthy Of Emulation / Why We Barred Females From Wearing Trousers In Offices – Plateau Govt (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! by Nobody: 8:58pm On Aug 06, 2007
redsun:

In as much as christianity is fake,it doesn't forcefully trample on citizen's fundamental human rights.Nigeria is a circular state,religion should be totally abolished or remain in the background.What we need is common sense,not ancient ideas that have no significance in the 21st century world.I bet if mohammed was alife today,he be in the realm of people like bill gate because he was smart enough to initiate an ideology in his time,he was not a loser like most of his followers today.

You are so far removed from the topic of this thread.
If you hate Christianity,that's a totally different topic from this.
I'm sure no Christians are losing sleep over you neither are they hunting your head to appease Christ.
Take your frustrations somewhere else!!
Re: Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! by Nobody: 9:21pm On Aug 06, 2007
For those of you jumping up and down and trying so hard to distance this new trend sweeping the nation from sharia,I'm just as optimistic as you are but I also have not left my thinking caps in the dump.
Did we ever think many years ago that a Nigerian woman would become frontline news with amnesty International pleading with a barbaric state government to save her from stoning for adultery.
The same idiotic state government that set her lover free for "lack of evidence".

Whatever you term this,Sharia,morality gone wild,militant deeper life invasion,it is very wrong.
A woman should be able to wear whatever she feels like wearing,we are not in Saudi Arabia!!
Neither is Benue state Zamfara!!
Any one that feels offended by a woman in trousers should move to Sokoto and live there!

Below Benue is Enugu state so we are no longer talking of a trend far removed from my homeland ,Igboland
It sounded millions of miles away when we heard of sharia police flogging men in bars and cutting off fingers
now what's next?
since trousers are now illegal here,what types of skirts are allowed and what are it's dimensions and style?
Should I now fear that when I arrive murtala,the thieving twenty twenty naira police can arrest me enroute my hotel room for dressing like a prostitute?
what does it mean to dress like a prostitute?

to nurex or whatever you call yourself,I am a Christian and about half the populace in Nigeria are.
Christians do not promote indecent dressing and trousers are not indecent dressing
neither do we see it as our God ordained right to force women to dress a certain way and flog them with koboko when they refuse.
Christianity is of the heart.
If I wear an abaya and my heart is not right,it profits me nothing.
A true Christian knows to dress modestly and it is none of your business or anyones whatsoever to legislate dressing for women.

You and your clones will not take us to the 14th century.
Dress your mothers,wives and daughters however you wish,cover them in bedsheets and lead them by the hand,I don't care grin really,I do
But know where your authority ends.
It's call live and let live.
Re: Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! by debosky(m): 9:24pm On Aug 06, 2007
redsun:

In as much as christianity is fake,it doesn't forcefully trample on citizen's fundamental human rights.Nigeria is a[b] circular [/b]state,religion should be totally abolished or remain in the background.What we need is common sense,not ancient ideas that have no significance in the 21st century world.I bet if mohammed was alife today,he will be in the realm of people like bill gate because he was smart enough to initiate an ideology in his time,he was not a loser like most of his followers today.

the word is secular mate, though I do agree we tend to go round in circles chasing our tail sometimes wink

babyosisi ride on!!
Re: Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! by lovemajek(f): 9:29pm On Aug 06, 2007
charity begins at home.
Re: Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! by agbola(m): 9:37pm On Aug 06, 2007
who are all dese bloody hypocrites karaye, redsun et al don't blame christianity for d moral decadence,
we keep lookin at d wrong things and chasing shadows wen facin dis issue

1st of all trousers for me are safer and freer especially wit d hard knock life we hav to face in nigeria jumpin gutters, ridin okadas, strugglin 4 buses etc also it has been found that it acts a deterrent against rapists

men who hav a problem wit dese trousers know wat dey r cing oooo, bloody perverts , me i no get problem

whereas y shud a governor of a state wit 1 of the lowest levels of development, and literacy be thinkin of such, a state dat needs so much help be thinkin of payin pple to catch girls on d road instead of empowerin dem to become leaders

shame on whoever that uneducated, barbaric governor is anyway
Re: Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! by DisGuy: 9:44pm On Aug 06, 2007
so in the predominant Christian state we blame sharia, a judge in a south western state ordered a criminal to be flogged, we blame sharia grin

so what exactly are the predominant Christian females in Benue state and other southern state doing about this wink
Re: Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! by Nobody: 9:46pm On Aug 06, 2007
agbola:

who are all dese bloody hypocrites karaye, redsun et al don't blame christianity for d moral decadence,
we keep lookin at d wrong things and chasing shadows when facin this issue

1st of all trousers for me are safer and freer especially wit d hard knock life we hav to face in nigeria jumpin gutters, ridin okadas, strugglin 4 buses etc also it has been found that it acts a deterrent against rapists

men who hav a problem wit dese trousers know what dey r cing oooo, bloody perverts , me i no get problem

whereas y should a governor of a state wit 1 of the lowest levels of development, and literacy be thinkin of such, a state that needs so much help be thinkin of payin people to catch girls on d road instead of empowerin them to become leaders

shame on whoever that uneducated, barbaric governor is anyway

My brother say it again O.
The governor is just like some of the responders here.
very little minded.
Re: Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! by Nobody: 9:48pm On Aug 06, 2007
By the way,can someone confirm that the commissioner for police and the governor in this state are non Muslims!
since I found out Fashola in Lagos is a Muslim,I'm not surprised anymore why his people are arresting girls for" dressing like prostitutes"
Re: Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! by denex: 9:55pm On Aug 06, 2007
Nobody is talking O! I've been saying let's impeach Fashola since morning, nobody answer me.
Re: Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! by redsun(m): 9:57pm On Aug 06, 2007
Which ever way you see it,it all boils down to politics and religion,one religion trying to outdo the other with their delusional beliefs and tenets.As for you debosky,that is i what i  call a slip of finger,but i am glad you understand what i  am trying to put across,let's not glorify english,it is not our mother tongue, it is part of the confusion sometimes, in as much as i acknoledge it is a communication tool trying to unite a country that under normal circustances should be three.
Re: Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! by DisGuy: 9:57pm On Aug 06, 2007
na lets privatise Lagos state, sell all those nurtw, and areas boys tinubu gave birth to, to Ibadan or Enugu grin
Re: Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! by wendymanda: 10:00pm On Aug 06, 2007
I think it is silly that in this day and age women are being arrested in a place as NIgeria for wearing trousers, and in Lagos. If a white woman who is a tourist wore trousers what is going to happen then is what I want to know?
Re: Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! by DisGuy: 10:01pm On Aug 06, 2007
some people in here supported covenant university with their dress code and all, but are gettin their knickers in a twist over this policy undecided some of you think its okay for the university to dictate what the student wear and discriminate against pregnant and hiv graduates but get mad when this is introduced in a state tongue

hipo-crazy get another level cool
Re: Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! by Nobody: 10:03pm On Aug 06, 2007
wendymanda:

I think it is silly that in this day and age women are being arrested in a place as NIgeria for wearing trousers, and in Lagos. If a white woman who is a tourist wore trousers what is going to happen then is what I want to know?

Good point!
are the foreigners immune to this?

Dis Guy:

na lets privatise Lagos state, sell all those nurtw, and areas boys tinubu gave birth to, to Ibadan or Enugu grin

no we'll dash you our own ex bakassi boys grin
Re: Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! by Nobody: 10:04pm On Aug 06, 2007
Dis Guy:

some people in here supported covenant university with their dress code and all, but are gettin their knickers in a twist over this policy undecided some of you think its okay for the university to dictate what the student wear and discriminate against pregnant and hiv graduates but get mad when this is introduced in a state tongue

hipo-crazy get another level cool

name names.
don't be afraid
Re: Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! by Danmasani(m): 10:48pm On Aug 06, 2007
Culled From the Daily Independent Newspapers

David Oyedepo: A Controversial Stance

The decision of the authorities of Covenant University not to graduate students who test positive to either the Human Immuno-deficiency Virus (HIV) or pregnancy has placed the institution on the front burner of public discourse. Experts say the university had by some past deeds, like baring students of opposite sex from holding hands and consummating friendship on campus, positioned itself as a citadel of morality. But the school’s latest act of baring students who have paid through the nose to complete years of rigorous academic exercise from graduating has enraged many local and international observers.

While concerned citizens continue to talk about the controversial decision, the university’s Chancellor, Bishop David Olaniyi Oyedepo, who is also the general overseer of Living Faith Ministries (Winners’ Chapel), has remained silent, just as affected parents and students are reluctant to come out publicly to speak on the issue. But Mr. Chris Okemgbo, a public affairs commentator, believes the decision of the school on HIV and pregnant students is an unjust stigmatisation of those under such conditions. "I have not heard where pregnancy has become an unpardonable sin," Okemgbo fumed.

Many think that the decision to cancel the graduation of pregnant students will encourage abortion.

Kingsley Obom-Egbulem, head of research and publications, Journalists Against Aids (JAIDS), believes that HIV test must be voluntary, adding that consensual test is usually preceded by counseling. He calls the verdict of Covenant University on HIV and pregnant students a "draconian" measure.

"They are so many, so how do you counsel all of them? That is why we say it is an aberration. We feel it is wrong, we feel it is absurd and draconian to say that a child whose parents have suffered to train for four years should not graduate because he or she is HIV positive," Obom-Egbulem laments.

Lagos State coordinator, Treatment Action Movement (TAM), Mr. Mayowa Joel, described the decision as imputing that an HIV positive or pregnant student is less than a total graduate. "Now the question is what does being HIV positive take away from you? Does it take away your ability to read? Does it take away your ability to listen, lead and live normal life?" he queried. According to him, testing positive to HIV does not take away ability to be a good Christian. "As a treatment advocate working with people living with HIV, I can tell you categorically that if HIV takes anything away, it takes away the negative aspect because as somebody taking antiretroviral drugs, you have to stop taking alcohol, you have to make sure you don’t engage in indiscriminate sexual intercourse and you have to make sure that you are sensitive and you don’t infect others. In fact, living with HIV promotes behavioural change," Joel said. He added that those living with HIV are highly disciplined. "They know the import of time because they have to take their antiretroviral drugs at regular intervals. Raising a total eagle means putting into consideration people living with HIV/AIDS."

Executive director, Centre for Rights and Development, Mrs. Josephine Odikpo, described the action of Covenant University as an encroachment on the fundamental rights of those affected in the quest to raise what the university terms "total eagles". National coordinator, Positive Action for Treatment Access (PATA), Mrs. Rolake Odetoyinbo, believes that ignorance probably fueled the university’s decision.

The human rights groups on Monday gave Oyedepo a 14-day ultimatum to reverse the decision or face the wrath of the coalition of human rights organisations. The coalition plans to organise Nigerians to embark on a protest march to Canaan land, seat of the university, should the institution’s authorities fail to reverse the decision by the expiration of the ultimatum.

"We will employ everything within our power to make sure that things are put right," Odetoyinbo said, adding, "I feel bad about it because I am a person living with HIV and I have friends who had children 15 to 20 years ago who did not have access to antiretroviral drugs; we have children who are born with HIV. These children are still alive. These are children who are still in the primary and secondary schools. Are you saying that our children should not go to school because they are unfortunate to be HIV positive?"

Pundits are of the view that the National Universities Commission (NUC) must step in to prevent Covenant University from treading the path of lawlessness.

http://www.independentngonline.com/?c=97&a=31903

I guess the  "Shariazation" and the "Islamization" of Nigeria has also reached Covenant University as some people say here!
Re: Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! by Nobody: 10:51pm On Aug 06, 2007
Pundits are of the view that the National Universities Commission (NUC) must step in to prevent Covenant University from treading the path of lawlessness.

exactly my point too.
Christianity gone sharia grin
Re: Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! by 0123456789: 6:44am On Aug 07, 2007
People need to open their heads and minds to reasons.
We all need to learn the differences of religion, culture, behavior, personality, belief, and norms and apply our knowledge to positive courses instead of things that would take us one or more steps backward.

"Babyosisi" is one of the most inconsistent and self-contradicting person i have seen since i have joined this community and in my entire life. Why do you always go up and down saying completely opposite things, blowing hot and cold at the same time. You (babyosisi) need to need to be direct in your posts, instead of always swaying with the direction of the wind. Be consistent.

I am not trying to make you (babyosisi) look bad,
this is supposed to be a form of Constructive criticism.
Try as much as possible to be direct in you postings and other endeavors and may God see you through them.
Re: Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! by redsun(m): 7:21am On Aug 07, 2007
@babyosisi,what is your stand point,is it religion or morals?meanwhile,the moral standard of nigeria is primarilly based on religion,islam,christianity,whatever.Imagine obasanjo who ruled nigeria for several years, operating at the level he is now,they said he just had his first semester exams on of all thing christian theology,not even religious studies in general which would have given him a wider view of what religion is all about,when he should making public speeches on human and natural upliftment and development.I bet you are just another self righteous born again christian,it is another virus in america.
Re: Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! by Nobody: 7:24am On Aug 07, 2007
So, women can't wear trousers in Benue state? shocked

Shocking. Such attitudes to women only reinforce my decision to stay away from Nigeria, and probably others too.

Whatever next, Burqa? angry
Re: Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! by denex: 7:36am On Aug 07, 2007
The question somebody asked earlier is that what if a white woman wears a pair of trousers to Benue or Lagos state, will they treat her with racial superiority and overlook her?

As for Covenant University, they may want to stop sexual intercourse, and encourage chastity among their students but are they trying to tell me that all the male students that have sex will become pregnant? This is the same thing we see in sharia where the women are punished and the men are set free because of lack of adequate evidence (pregnancy/absence of hymen). Is Covenant University telling me that those who got HIV through blood transfusions and barbing salons should not be graduated too?

This is madness.
Re: Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! by redsun(m): 7:57am On Aug 07, 2007
@denex,don't mind this people living in the past.As animal scientist,i bet you know something about artificial insemination,it is some thing i want to work on when i come to nigeria as regards cattle breeding.We haven't even started real domestication and cross breeding of animals yet,they are talking about clothes they can't even make,i bet some of them still want to dress like hunter gatherers,because they are not any better.
Re: Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! by antis: 8:18am On Aug 07, 2007
Govt should pls tackle the problem of HUNGER, POOR STATE OF OUR SCHOOLS, EPILEPTIC POWER SUPPLY, UNEMPLOYEMENT , I cant even exhaust the list and leave ladies alone though I dont support ladies going on d streets half naked.

come to think of it, ladies go for Pageant with half pant and bra and parade for the whole world to see with most of our leaders in attendence. how do u expect a lady dat can be brave enof to expose her body dat much in public in d name of pageant to cover herself thereafter

i even learnt that they take those dat are caught to a place for rehabilitation when there are beggers and d disabled on d street dat need to be rehabilitated.

our leaders shd wake up oooooooooooooooooooooo
Re: Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! by swiftycool(m): 8:34am On Aug 07, 2007
This is soo soo sick!
we ve all forgotten the origin of our current fashion, Trousers came from foreign traditions which had designs for both males and females just as skirts in scotland have designs 4 both males and females

Funny!  b4 the white man whose women still go about in trousers came to preach Christianity we were either NAKED or mostly in wrappers, men and women alike.
Id say if we want to copy tradition lets copy the whole thing, if not lets go back to our origins. If christianity or islam is the basis 4 the victimisation of these women lets find out from the white man and arabs alike if they actually created trousers only 4 their men,
we will be suprised at your findings and stop rattling around in stupid ignorance and hipocritical morality.

So many dumb ignoramus in this country blinded by religion they dont even know what next to do!  tongue
Re: Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! by denex: 8:47am On Aug 07, 2007
Actually, Arab and Indian women have been wearing trousers for centuries. European and American women started wearing trousers in the 19th century and African women started wearing trousers in the 21st century. The whole world is beginning to realise that a pair of trousers is one of the most convenient clothing items invented.

I second the motion that if women wearing trousers on the streets can be arrested, then women wearing bikinis at beauty pageants should be shot at sight. Policewomen wearing trousers should also be jailed immediately and all those "OVATION" women should be clamped down on.
Re: Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! by tng(f): 9:08am On Aug 07, 2007
A number of people here have mentioned that benue state is predominately a xtian state; don't know if the COP is a muslim but the gov. is a xtian and all happening there is blamed on islam even when the wearing of trousers(although not revealing ones) is encouraged in islam. Anyway, i guess its in vogue to blame everything on Islam and muslims.

@babyosisi
Tinubu is a muslim as well and he didnt arrest women for indecent dressing.
Re: Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! by swiftycool(m): 9:31am On Aug 07, 2007
denex:

Actually, Arab and Indian women have been wearing trousers for centuries. European and American women started wearing trousers in the 19th century and African women started wearing trousers in the 21st century. The whole world is beginning to realise that a pair of trousers is one of the most convenient clothing items invented.

I second the motion that if women wearing trousers on the streets can be arrested, then women wearing bikinis at beauty pageants should be shot at sight. Policewomen wearing trousers should also be jailed immediately and all those "OVATION" women should be clamped down on.

And all female  youth coppers should be flogged for the trousers, or given green wrappers to tie, Hahaha grin ( id love to witness the drills again o.)
and Trouser suits should be banned by all corporate institutions. Let all women tie wrappers or long deeper life skirts to bank jobs

Sick Sick Sick, how i wish tax payers monies were directed towards more useful things than women victimization

@ Biossisi or whatever
we ignorant christians are more to blame for this hipocritical bull shit not them muslims mind u!
[/color][color=#990000][/color][color=#990000][/color][color=#990000][/color][color=#990000][/color][color=#990000][/color][color=#990000]
Re: Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! by denex: 9:47am On Aug 07, 2007
@swiftycool

I knew I was forgetting something. Yes, all female NYSC corpers should be stripped naked, publicly flogged and then handed green "buba" and wrapper with "gele"(to cover their indecent hair that is always causing sexual tensions).
Re: Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! by pisces20: 9:55am On Aug 07, 2007
pls which is more indecent: trouser or miniskirt.?
i also heard that the police has started arresting girls that dress indecent in lagos. don't they have more important things to do?
Re: Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! by Iman3(m): 10:14am On Aug 07, 2007
Before the coming of the Europeans and the Arabs,were not African women skimpily dressed? Are the bare breasted Koma women victims of Western influence?

The irony is that those who assert that African women must cover up as much as possible, and that such a failure to cover up is a product of Western influence, are promoting values first transmitted to us by outsiders.
Re: Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! by denex: 10:34am On Aug 07, 2007
On Sunday Afternoon, I was watching a movie on Focus Television (local cable) and they were just showing men kissing women's nipples and women stripping every 5 minutes in the movies.

In broad daylight! On a family day!
PrimeTime jams shows hiphop videos with uncensored lyrics.
And there's a law against this. Yet nothing has been done about it.

It is where there is no law that Lagos and Benue State governments want to punish.

What has a guy with dreadlocks got to do with crime.

How can people break inexistent laws. Where in the criminal code is hairstyle or sexiness indicated to be against the law.
Re: Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! by bish2001(m): 11:26am On Aug 07, 2007
D

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Nigerian Troops Ill-equipped For War In Mali! / Amaechi Is Already With APC - Rivers PDP / Ambode, Oshiomhole, Tambuwal, Adeosun At NEC Meeting Today - Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.