Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,667 members, 7,823,884 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 05:26 PM

Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? - Travel (74) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (812319 Views)

Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / Nigerians In The Uk, How Do You Cope With the Scottish Accent? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (71) (72) (73) (74) (75) (76) (77) ... (213) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 8:25am On Aug 23, 2014
myfuture: The birth year on my WAEC certificate does not tally with the one on my passport but the thing is I have been given admission by a well respected university.When I applied for admission,I submitted the WAEC certificate with the error.I am wondering whether that might still cause problem for me during registration when I arrive in the UK.

hmmmm...submitting that is risky but fingers crossed....hopefully it will not be spotted.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 10:08am On Aug 23, 2014
royalsweetness:
Aww finally, good for you
paradisewoods:
Mr Teleperformance , eeyah. Pele. We ll all join you soon.
All the best
justwise:
Welcome to the UK

cool
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by 3sha4lyf: 1:40pm On Aug 23, 2014
spikesC: In the uk now, currently at Ipswich cool

My ears still hurt embarassed

You're in the neighbourhood. Just 30mins away on the Abellio Greater Anglia train. smiley have fun ok. And try visiting Great Yarmouth if you have the flare for something different. Welcome to "obodo oyibo". cheesy

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by 3sha4lyf: 1:48pm On Aug 23, 2014
Rachii:
You're welcome. I don't know how much GT charges but Diamond rates are cheap. As at yesterday, even their PTA was at 269 naira.

Gtb is a no-go area. Paid some fees for my friend with my card... Lost well over £600 compared to cbn rates.
Also they are annoying with their 1% (naira equivalent) charge on ATM withdrawal. Charged me NGN420 Commission + NGN42.075.23 for a £150 withdrawal. Sick!
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Emmagency(m): 4:06pm On Aug 23, 2014
myfuture: The birth year on my WAEC certificate does not tally with the one on my passport but the thing is I have been given admission by a well respected university.When I applied for admission,I submitted the WAEC certificate with the error.I am wondering whether that might still cause problem for me during registration when I arrive in the UK.

Go with your birth cert or better still, get an attestation of birth from NPC..coupled with a court affidavit stating the error made by WAEC if you like..which is what I did for my own case...just checking all the boxes..

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Emmagency(m): 4:12pm On Aug 23, 2014

cool Ride on bro... we're still here doing the 'countdown' thing ooh.. Good Luck

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by 3sha4lyf: 4:36pm On Aug 23, 2014

I would go get an affidavit to "notarise" the error in my waec or bc. Then whichever is correct, when I get to the uni, I'll notify them to correct their records, having in hand my sworn affidavit if they act funny.

Can I ask, do u require a visa for studies? And if you do, have u gotten one or applied for one yet? Did you use same documents and was it a problem?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 5:23pm On Aug 23, 2014

I know that feeling bro
grin
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 6:29pm On Aug 23, 2014
3sha4lyf:

You're in the neighbourhood. Just 30mins away on the Abellio Greater Anglia train. smiley have fun ok. And try visiting Great Yarmouth if you have the flare for something different. Welcome to "obodo oyibo". cheesy
lol. Thanks very much
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 6:30pm On Aug 23, 2014
Ishsoph:

I know that feeling bro
grin

oga me, how ur concubines
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 7:32pm On Aug 23, 2014
spikesC:

oga me, how ur concubines

Haven't you collected all?
What do you want again angry
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 8:39pm On Aug 23, 2014
Ishsoph:

Haven't you collected all?
What do you want again angry

ah ah, am talking about ALL of them not just one grin
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 9:37pm On Aug 23, 2014
spikesC:

ah ah, am talking about ALL of them not just one grin
My friend go chop burger for dinner
Thank God say no be for romance section you dey yarn this, go spoil fun for person sad
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by peteafrik88(m): 9:58pm On Aug 23, 2014
Emmagency:

Hello...anyone with an idea on this?

From the little knowledge I have, these london branches of our banks operate independent from their parent company back home. FBN, GTB & some other also have branches, which from my enquiry one cant access their nigerian bank account from these branches.
You have to open an account with the london branch and do your normal bank transfers as usual, I guess those fees we are trying to escape from will still suffice, but maybe a little less...

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 12:33am On Aug 24, 2014
Ishsoph:
My friend go chop burger for dinner
Thank God say no be for romance section you dey yarn this, go spoil fun for person sad

Which one come be burger undecided
I dey find okpa jare grin

Don't worry, you shall get 5 replacement concubines.
Oya say Amen tongue
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by GeneralShepherd(m): 4:40am On Aug 24, 2014
Hello House ,

oga justwise and all my oda ogas in the house.Please i have a question, I got an accommodation for 85 pounds per week for a shared house at Cranfield University. do you think its a fair offer? should i seek for alternate accommodation off-campus?

Thanks in advance
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 6:49am On Aug 24, 2014
GeneralShepherd: Hello House ,

oga justwise and all my oda ogas in the house.Please i have a question, I got an accommodation for 85 pounds per week for a shared house at Cranfield University. do you think its a fair offer? should i seek for alternate accommodation off-campus?

Thanks in advance

That is quite high for one bedroom but it depends on a lot of stuff...

1. is it single bedroom or double bedroom?

2. All bills inclusive?( gas, electricity, water and internet)

3. Number of people sharing the flat? ( Anything more than 3 doesn't worth it)

4. Distant from the university

If it tickets all the boxes AND the house is in good condition...(forget about pics on the internet) then go for it.

Lastly avoid singing group tenancy agreement.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by GeneralShepherd(m): 7:38am On Aug 24, 2014
justwise:

That is quite high for one bedroom but it depends on a lot of stuff...

1. is it single bedroom or double bedroom?

2. All bills inclusive?( gas, electricity, water and internet)

3. Number of people sharing the flat? ( Anything more than 3 doesn't worth it)

4. Distant from the university

If it tickets all the boxes AND the house is in good condition...(forget about pics on the internet) then go for it.

Lastly avoid singing group tenancy agreement.

It's a university accommodation and hence inside the school.
It's all bills inclusive.
It's a single room.
Should be about 13 people sharing the house.

Wow your response was fast.
It's amazing how you keep providing free services to people fresh off the boat, year in year out.where do you get the inspiration to continue.?

You are simple awesome. Thanks alor
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by 3sha4lyf: 7:51am On Aug 24, 2014
Thanks in advance

Lemme add to what Justwise has written.
* Check If it's for a double room, and I mean a double room with double bed, NOT single room with double bed (sorry can't give measurements but if you search online, you'll see a standard DR and SR size)
* When JW says ALL BILLS, IT MEANS ALL BILLS! No shared bills except Council tax which of course, as a student, you don't pay. He he he.
* Also is the room let by live-in or live-out landlord? ( gosh, I hate L/I landlords, so sorry).
* is it en-suite or shared bathroom(s)? How many? As said, anything more than 3 to a house isn't worth it but you may consider if your room is en-suite. Again, try to find out if your fellow room mates are on the same (study) track with you. What I mean is, most postgrad students rarely live with undergrads because they can easily get distracted (I can't really explain this but you'll feel it when you start) and if you're one
PG student, trust me, a time comes in your studies where you need no distraction and knowing Crainfield uni for what it is, that time will come quick! cheesy
Be sure to read the tenancy agreement before you even sign or release funds. I prefer a rolling contract than a 12-month contract cos you end up worrying and searching for a new place when you should be doing your dissertation, final exams, essays, etc. So think it.

HTH as well.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 10:23am On Aug 24, 2014
GeneralShepherd:

It's a university accommodation and hence inside the school.
It's all bills inclusive.
It's a single room.
Should be about 13 people sharing the house.

Wow your response was fast.
it's amazing how you keep providing free services to people fresh off the boat, year in year out.where do you get the inspiration to continue.?

You are simple awesome. Thanks alor

grin thanks anyway.

Now school accommodation......i'm not a fan but i will this....if money is not an issue then gr8! go for it, socially you will benefit, student experience is almost guaranteed (depend on if you are an introvert or extrovert)

If you are on budget then stay away, renting from private landlords saves you a lot and you are allowed to stay longer after your graduation as long as you keep paying your rent but with school accommodation you will be kicked out after graduation.

£85 a week for a single bedroom is daylight robbery, with that amount in private renting you will get double bedroom with all bills included and in a very clean area.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ocheejemb: 11:10am On Aug 24, 2014

Thanks in advance

I don't think 85 pounds is 'daylight robbery' as some people have said. £340pcm (per calendar month) is not cheap, but its also not too expensive. I believe that the cheapest accommodation anywhere in the UK will be something like £250pcm, probably a room in a house with bills not included. So when you add bills, you are probably coming up to like £300 pounds a month.

I've been to Cranfield once, it is a very serious place mehn. Very studious. And unlike many uni's it has a proper campus in the middle of nowhere. Getting private accommodation outside campus means you may have to commute or walk a long distance into campus everyday. It may not be worth it, even if the rent appears cheaper.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ocheejemb: 11:12am On Aug 24, 2014
3sha4lyf:

Lemme add to what Justwise has written.
* Check If it's for a double room, and I mean a double room with double bed, NOT single room with double bed (sorry can't give measurements but if you search online, you'll see a standard DR and SR size)
* When JW says ALL BILLS, IT MEANS ALL BILLS! No shared bills except Council tax which of course, as a student, you don't pay. He he he.
* Also is the room let by live-in or live-out landlord? ( gosh, I hate L/I landlords, so sorry).
* is it en-suite or shared bathroom(s)? How many? As said, anything more than 3 to a house isn't worth it but you may consider if your room is en-suite. [b]Again, try to find out if your fellow room mates are on the same (study) track with you. What I mean is, most postgrad students rarely live with undergrads because they can easily get distracted (I can't really explain this but you'll feel it when you start) and if you're one
PG student, trust me, a time comes in your studies where you need no distraction and knowing Crainfield uni for what it is, that time will come quick! cheesy
[/b]
Be sure to read the tenancy agreement before you even sign or release funds. I prefer a rolling contract than a 12-month contract cos you end up worrying and searching for a new place when you should be doing your dissertation, final exams, essays, etc. So think it.

HTH as well.

Cranfield doesnt have any undergraduates.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 11:40am On Aug 24, 2014
ocheejemb:

I don't think 85 pounds is 'daylight robbery' as some people have said. £340pcm (per calendar month) is not cheap, but its also not too expensive. I believe that the cheapest accommodation anywhere in the UK will be something like £250pcm, probably a room in a house with bills not included. So when you add bills, you are probably coming up to like £300 pounds a month.

I've been to Cranfield once, it is a very serious place mehn. Very studious. And unlike many uni's it has a proper campus in the middle of nowhere. Getting private accommodation outside campus means you may have to commute or walk a long distance into campus everyday. It may not be worth it, even if the rent appears cheaper.

Yes its, £85 for a single bedroom is a rip off. in some place £90 a week will get you a studio accommodation.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 12:33pm On Aug 24, 2014
Getting a room for £85 a week is a blessing for me grin
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 12:33pm On Aug 24, 2014
justwise:

Yes its, £85 for a single bedroom is a rip off. in some place £90 a week will get you a studio accommodation.

Which area ?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by HudsonBanks(m): 12:40pm On Aug 24, 2014
justwise:

Ah Nawa ooo sad What of some of us that will be paying well over a £100/week for ensuite on-campus accomodation? I guess we can call it All day robbery(both day & night) cry

School is located in South east England(not far from London) so even off-campus accommodation isn't cheap. It is well.
angry
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 12:46pm On Aug 24, 2014
HudsonBanks:

Ah Nawa ooo sad What of some of us that will be paying well over a £100/week for ensuite on-campus accomodation? I guess we can call it All day robbery(both day & night) cry

School is located in South east England(not far from London) so even off-campus accommodation isn't cheap. It is well.
angry

You want to pay that because you got the money and not because you got no choice.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 12:47pm On Aug 24, 2014
adaobi123:

Which area ?

Some areas outside London, E.g Bedfordshire
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by LabourParty(m): 12:48pm On Aug 24, 2014
Anywhere in Bedfordshire, £85/week for a single room is a rip off. You can get a good double room for that price.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 12:49pm On Aug 24, 2014
LabourParty: Anywhere in Bedfordshire, £85/week for a single room is a rip off. You can get a good double room for that price.

Exactly! Ridiculous amount to pay
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ocheejemb: 12:49pm On Aug 24, 2014
justwise:

Abeg where, lemme move there. I guess it depends on location, but for Cranfield and Milton Keynes, I dont think its a rip-off. A survey on gumtree or spareroom should help the OP.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by LabourParty(m): 12:52pm On Aug 24, 2014
ocheejemb:

Abeg where, lemme move there. I guess it depends on location, but for Cranfield and Milton Keynes, I dont think its a rip-off. A survey on gumtree or spareroom should help the OP.

It's also a rip off for Milton Keynes.

How do I know? Milton Keynes is my home and I hang around Bedfordshire a lot (Luton)

(1) (2) (3) ... (71) (72) (73) (74) (75) (76) (77) ... (213) (Reply)

U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening / QATAR AND UAE GENERAL VISA ENQUIRIES Part 3 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 6

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.