Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,856 members, 7,817,536 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:55 PM

Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? - Travel (75) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (811310 Views)

Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / Nigerians In The Uk, How Do You Cope With the Scottish Accent? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (72) (73) (74) (75) (76) (77) (78) ... (213) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by 3sha4lyf: 12:53pm On Aug 24, 2014
ocheejemb:

Cranfield doesnt have any undergraduates.

Oh great. Thanks for the correction. Should have known when all they do is executive this n executive that. My bad. Tx once more for the correction. smiley

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 12:55pm On Aug 24, 2014
ocheejemb:

Abeg where, lemme move there. I guess it depends on location, but for Cranfield and Milton Keynes, I dont think its a rip-off. A survey on gumtree or spareroom should help the OP.

That was why i said in 'some' places...e.g Luton which is just few minutes away from Milton Keynes
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by HudsonBanks(m): 12:55pm On Aug 24, 2014
justwise:

You want to pay that because you got the money and not because you got no choice.

Not exactly sir, who wouldn't want to save some reasonable cash. I tried using the studentpad of my school to search for off-campus accommodation but the amount I was seeing was still expensive, I think the least I saw for a decent(not fantastic but just OK) shared flat of 5 occupants was £90/week, some including utilities some not including. I also tried other sites like rightmove.co.uk and a few others but what I saw was similar.

If you could direct me to another website where I could get something cheaper I would be extremely grateful, I don't mind breaking my contract by December when my school allows it.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 12:57pm On Aug 24, 2014
HudsonBanks:

Not exactly sir, who wouldn't want to save some reasonable cash. I tried using the studentpad of my school to search for off-campus accommodation but the amount I was seeing was still expensive, I think the least I saw for a decent(not fantastic but just OK) shared flat of 5 occupants was £90/week, some including utilities some not including. I also tried other sites like rightmove.co.uk and a few others but what I saw was similar.

If you could direct me to another website where I could get something cheaper I would be extremely grateful, I don't mind breaking my contract by December when my school allows it.

Try gumtree and select private landlord
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 1:04pm On Aug 24, 2014
HudsonBanks:

Those would still be costly because they tend to make their prices a little bit cheaper than the uni's
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by HudsonBanks(m): 1:22pm On Aug 24, 2014
justwise:

Try gumtree and select private landlord

Okay thank you, just tried as you suggested and here is my findings; Only 5 recent postings(i.e within the last two months) and the best out of all 5 is a single room for £90/week including utilities, same flat has a double room for £130/week and its a flat of 4.

Guess I'm just unlucky with the town my uni is located. I'll do some house hunting still when I get there & will hopefully find something reasonable.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by HudsonBanks(m): 1:23pm On Aug 24, 2014
spikesC:

Those would still be costly because they tend to make their prices a little bit cheaper than the uni's

Yea I figured. Even Gumtree isn't favourable for my uni town sad
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Bambamzzzz: 6:15pm On Aug 24, 2014
HudsonBanks:

Please my oga's here any idea about how much i can get studio flat in Birmingham city centre because privacy na the koko oh
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 6:17pm On Aug 24, 2014
HudsonBanks:

Okay thank you, just tried as you suggested and here is my findings; Only 5 recent postings(i.e within the last two months) and the best out of all 5 is a single room for £90/week including utilities, same flat has a double room for £130/week and its a flat of 4.

Guess I'm just unlucky with the town my uni is located. I'll do some house hunting still when I get there & will hopefully find something reasonable.

Where is your uni? If you don't mind me asking.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by worry359(m): 6:43pm On Aug 24, 2014
Bambamzzzz:
Please my oga's here any idea about how much i can get studio flat in Birmingham city centre because privacy na the koko oh
British people tend NOT to live in the city centre.
Also Birmingham is huge.

The GOOD NEWS is that there is a very good bus service along all of the main roads.
(Not Ocadas! grin) Proper busses tht have fixed routs!
Some areas are white folk, many are Indian, Pakistan (as black you should avoid these)
Some Muslim areas. Some afro-caribean areas (lots of drugs and naughty ladies!)

Tell us which University and college (part of uni.) then we might advise.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by emteecve(m): 8:13pm On Aug 24, 2014
For those who have stayed a lil in London. pls, how much on d average do u tnk is ok for living expenses per week or month. I will soon be in ICL for Msc. Tnx
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by HudsonBanks(m): 8:53pm On Aug 24, 2014
Bambamzzzz:

I have no idea bro. Try Gumtree as Oga Justwise suggested to me.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by HudsonBanks(m): 8:56pm On Aug 24, 2014
justwise:

Where is your uni? If you don't mind me asking.

Oh no I don't mind at all, its in Guildford Surrey. University of Surrey.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by chivitech: 9:03pm On Aug 24, 2014
justwise:

grin thanks anyway.

Now school accommodation......i'm not a fan but i will this....if money is not an issue then gr8! go for it, socially you will benefit, student experience is almost guaranteed (depend on if you are an introvert or extrovert)

If you are on budget then stay away, renting from private landlords saves you a lot and you are allowed to stay longer after your graduation as long as you keep paying your rent but with school accommodation you will be kicked out after graduation.

£85 a week for a single bedroom is daylight robbery, with that amount in private renting you will get double bedroom with all bills included and in a very clean area.

lol.. if you call £85 a week daylight robbery, what will you call £530 a month which is what i am going to be paying at Oxford sad cry
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by chivitech: 9:07pm On Aug 24, 2014
HudsonBanks:

Ah Nawa ooo sad What of some of us that will be paying well over a £100/week for ensuite on-campus accomodation? I guess we can call it All day robbery(both day & night) cry

School is located in South east England(not far from London) so even off-campus accommodation isn't cheap. It is well.
angry

I feel you bro. Mine is even worse. its £530/month and it is not even ensuite. All the ensuite were gone before I applied for accommodation
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by HudsonBanks(m): 9:38pm On Aug 24, 2014
chivitech:

I feel you bro. Mine is even worse. its £530/month and it is not even ensuite. All the ensuite were gone before I applied for accommodation

Ahh you see! Same South east England sad . Mine is £510/month but yours that isn't ensuite is horribly expensive my good gracious! If you can cancel your contract early I suggest you also find off-campus housing once you are on ground.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by LabourParty(m): 9:58pm On Aug 24, 2014
HudsonBanks:

Ahh you see! Same South east England sad . Mine is £510/month but yours that isn't ensuite is horribly expensive my good gracious! If you can cancel your contract early I suggest you also find off-campus housing once you are on ground.

Surrey na posh area o.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by 3sha4lyf: 10:49pm On Aug 24, 2014
HudsonBanks:

Have you tried spareroom.co.uk and the brother sites?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by myfuture: 11:59pm On Aug 24, 2014
3sha4lyf:

I would go get an affidavit to "notarise" the error in my waec or bc. Then whichever is correct, when I get to the uni, I'll notify them to correct their records, having in hand my sworn affidavit if they act funny.

Can I ask, do u require a visa for studies? And if you do, have u gotten one or applied for one yet? Did you use same documents and was it a problem?
Actually WAEC certificate was not quoted on my CAS, so I don't need it for my visa application.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by GeneralShepherd(m): 12:25am On Aug 25, 2014
I have searched gumtree for milton keynes and i have not even seen a single room less than 100 pounds per week.

Please justwise ,spikec and other veterans ,I need help with this accomodation thing.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Bambamzzzz: 12:26am On Aug 25, 2014
worry359:
British people tend NOT to live in the city centre.
Also Birmingham is huge.

The GOOD NEWS is that there is a very good bus service along all of the main roads.
(Not Ocadas! grin) Proper busses tht have fixed routs!
Some areas are white folk, many are Indian, Pakistan (as black you should avoid these)
Some Muslim areas. Some afro-caribean areas (lots of drugs and naughty ladies!)

Tell us which University and college (part of uni.) then we might advise.
Am going to Birmingham city university and my campus is at curzon street at city centre with post code B4
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by HudsonBanks(m): 12:30am On Aug 25, 2014
LabourParty:

Surrey na posh area o.

I been no know o.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by HudsonBanks(m): 12:33am On Aug 25, 2014
3sha4lyf:
Have you tried spareroom.co.uk and the brother sites?

Yes I did o but they are all same sadly sad
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 12:55am On Aug 25, 2014
GeneralShepherd: I have searched gumtree for milton keynes and i have not even seen a single room less than 100 pounds per week.

Please justwise ,spikec and other veterans ,I need help with this accomodation thing.

http://student.spareroom.co.uk/accommodation/milton_keynes/10/2389004/

http://student.spareroom.co.uk/flatshare/flatshare_detail.pl?featured=1&search_id=&search_results=%2Faccommodation%2Fmilton_keynes%2F10&flatshare_id=111738

http://student.spareroom.co.uk/accommodation/milton_keynes/10/2897986/
http://student.spareroom.co.uk/accommodation/milton_keynes/10/2988174/

There are more links in that site
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Bambamzzzz: 1:00am On Aug 25, 2014
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 1:00am On Aug 25, 2014
HudsonBanks:

Oh no I don't mind at all, its in Guildford Surrey. University of Surrey.

Posh area and the uni ranking increases the rent price for students but pay for one semester and when you get there and get to know the city you will find cheaper accommodations.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by GeneralShepherd(m): 5:17am On Aug 25, 2014

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 9:22am On Aug 25, 2014
Bambamzzzz:

Please i need advise on Birmingham city centre because my school is Birmingham city uni

You have a lot to look at here http://www.gumtree.com/flatshare/birmingham
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by worry359(m): 9:46am On Aug 25, 2014
Bambamzzzz:

Please i need advise on Birmingham city centre because my school is Birmingham city uni
Your school is just outsite the main city centre (10 minutes walk)
Below are some bus maps to help you see where you can look for accomodation.
Aston area is good for students but many are at another university.
Lots of cheaper housing on bus routes but most will only advertise locally.
You may need to book hotel while you look for somwhere suitable.
Many, many shops selling african and indian supplies nearby.

http://www.birmingham.gov.uk/bustravel

http://www.networkwestmidlands.com/nmsruntime/saveasdialog.aspx?lID=1734&sID=97
On this one your school in in square D7, you need to be looking at places outside the centre for accomodation.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nicur: 9:59am On Aug 25, 2014
hello friends plz i have a question, my friend got admission into university of sunderland and is required to pay deposit of 3,500 pounds. he wants to know if it is refundable in case he did not get his visa or did not meet up with the requirements, thanks
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by paradisewoods: 11:01am On Aug 25, 2014
Nicur: hello friends plz i have a question, my friend got admission into university of sunderland and is required to pay deposit of 3,500 pounds. he wants to know if it is refundable in case he did not get his visa or did not meet up with the requirements, thanks

Its refundable, I am a prospective student of UoS. Once u send them the visa refusal letter they ll refund u in 3 days except u tell them you want to defer it

(1) (2) (3) ... (72) (73) (74) (75) (76) (77) (78) ... (213) (Reply)

U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 6 / QATAR AND UAE GENERAL VISA ENQUIRIES Part 3

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.