Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,730 members, 7,820,527 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:31 PM

The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent (27713 Views)

The Crime Of Lagos State In Demolishing Oshodi Main Market / $1.1b Fraud: British Judge Questions GEJ's Integrity, Stops Etete From Getting / One Of The Paris Terrorists Was Of Nigerian Descent (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by Nobody: 6:53am On Apr 22, 2012
Brixtonyute:

If you have any family member in the UK between the age 18-22, ask them how many of friends have got kids - post the reply on nairaland. grin

I just asked; they said none.
So how many of your family members between 18-22 have kids?

PS: 18-22 is defined as adult here o.
Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by Brixtonyute(m): 6:59am On Apr 22, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

I just asked; they said none.
So how many of your family members between 18-22 have kids?

PS: 18-22 is defined as adult here o.

Good for them, if they're being sincere. I don't have any sister, but almost all the young girls from where I grew up have got kids - and most are not even in a proper relationship. It's a vicious cycle.

I've got blurry eyes, tomorrow is another day, Ileke idi (whatever that means). grin
Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by Nobody: 7:02am On Apr 22, 2012
Brixtonyute:

Good for them, if they're being sincere. I don't have any sister, but almost all the young girls from where I grew up have got kids - and most are not even in a proper relationship. It's a vicious cycle.

I've got blurry eyes, tomorrow is another day, Ileke idi (whatever that means). grin

Ok, why the cheesy smiley? undecided It's becoming annoying. . . . anywaz, adieu!!
Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by antartica(m): 10:22am On Apr 22, 2012
English system is a very rigid and silent class system,like carbon monoxide.The government and educational institutions makes it clear to the "poor" that they are inherently deprived and that there is nothing much they can do about it,even with "free" education and "equal" opportunities for all.

Black youths are lost in the mist,caught up in between two delicate world.They are not really blacks and they can't be whites and with very few role models of their own to inspire them.Worse off up when they look at africa that is suppose to be their motherland.

Their inspirations seems to come from game consoles,ipads,ipods,blackberry and even from washing their dirty linens on facebook,they think it is cool.

1 Like

Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by MrsChima(f): 11:28am On Apr 22, 2012
Nebeuwa: There seems to be a wave of criminality that is impacting British of Nigerian descent. Everyday, we here news of another young Nigerian either committing a crime, or being the victim of crime in the United Kingdom. What I want to know is what is the problem?

The same cannot be said of Nigerians who live in the United States. It is very rare that you hear about a Nigerian in the United States being involved in a gang. It is so rare, that I have never heard of such, even though I know it probably does exist. Are there any differences between the Nigerians in the United States and Nigerians in the United Kingdom?

I have my own hypothesis, in which Nigerians in American want to differentiate themselves from African Americans who are often seen at the lower levels of United State society, but Nigerians in the United Kingdom do not have that luxury to differentiate themselves from other black groups in the UK since they are all recent arrivals.

Another hypothesis that I have is that there are more opportunities for Nigerians born in the United States than Nigerians born in the United Kingdom. The U.S. is more of a merit based society, even though it is being eroded compared to the United Kingdom when it depends on not only your social class, but also your pedigree.

Are there any other reasons that you can think of?

Correction: Black men in America is considered the lowest on the totem pole. Get it right. That's includes Blacks from other countries.
Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by Nebeuwa(m): 2:16pm On Apr 22, 2012
Mrs.Chima:

Correction: Black men in America is considered the lowest on the totem pole. Get it right. That's includes Blacks from other countries.

Look at you trying to make a dividing line amongst black men and black women. If your assertion was true, then President Obama would never have been elected since he is considered a black man. Black men were even given the right to vote after slavery was abolished in the United States before white women were even given the right to vote. Why do you think many white women during the suffrage movement in this country were up in arms?

Let me give you a little bit of my personal background and anyone else who wants to know, so you know who you are arguing against. I am a black man, born and raised on the East Coast of the U.S., to a Nigerian father and African American mother. You are not debating someone who does not have any roots in the U.S. That being said, it is not African Americans who would be considered the "lowest on the totem pole," it is actually ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS mainly of Mexican descent if you want to be specific.

With that being said, if it was between an educated black man getting a job and an educated black woman with the same credentials, the black man would get it. Black women are often viewed by White America as suffering from Angry Black Woman Syndrome (ABWS). And I hate to say this, but it easier for a black man in the United States to date outside his race than a black woman. According to studies, black women and Asian men are the least desired in the world. Now I am off topic. undecided
Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by Nebeuwa(m): 2:22pm On Apr 22, 2012
I have question for Nigerians who live in the United Kingdom, is it easy for Nigerian immigrants or any immigrant in general to get on welfare? The reason I ask this, because in the United States, it is very hard for any immigrant to be allowed on welfare. There is no social safety net for those who are not citizens of the United States. It is either you sink or you swim. That is why you find many recent immigrants to the United States like Mexicans, Dominicans, Indians, Nigerians working many jobs so they can make ends meet.
Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by Katsumoto: 2:27pm On Apr 22, 2012
Nebeuwa: I have question for Nigerians who live in the United Kingdom, is it easy for Nigerian immigrants or any immigrant in general to get on welfare? The reason I ask this, because in the United States, it is very hard for any immigrant to be allowed on welfare. There is no social safety net for those who are not citizens of the United States. It is either you sink or you swim. That is why you find many recent immigrants to the United States like Mexicans, Dominicans, Indians, Nigerians working many jobs so they can make ends meet.

Very easy

So easy that illegal immigrants have been known not only to receive grants but also to defraud the system.

1 Like

Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by Katsumoto: 2:32pm On Apr 22, 2012
Nebeuwa:

Look at you trying to make a dividing line amongst black men and black women. If your assertion was true, then President Obama would never have been elected since he is considered a black man. Black men were even given the right to vote after slavery was abolished in the United States before white women were even given the right to vote. Why do you think many white women during the suffrage movement in this country were up in arms?

Let me give you a little bit of my personal background and anyone else who wants to know, so you know who you are arguing against. I am a black man, born and raised on the East Coast of the U.S., to a Nigerian father and African American mother. You are not debating someone who does not have any roots in the U.S. That being said, it is not African Americans who would be considered the "lowest on the totem pole," it is actually ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS mainly of Mexican descent if you want to be specific.

With that being said, if it was between an educated black man getting a job and an educated black woman with the same credentials, the black man would get it. Black women are often viewed by White America as suffering from Angry Black Woman Syndrome (ABWS). And I hate to say this, but it easier for a black man in the United States to date outside his race than a black woman. According to studies, black women and Asian men are the least desired in the world. Now I am off topic. undecided

That was a very silly study; black women, together with latinos are the most beautiful women in the world. Clearly, the study was conducted by people who love bones and flat ars.es.

1 Like

Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by Nebeuwa(m): 2:35pm On Apr 22, 2012
Katsumoto:

Very easy

So easy that illegal immigrants have been known not only to receive grants but also to defraud the system.

That is very interesting. Do you think that creates a culture of dependence on the government for recent immigrants? I am not trying to start a tired against the ills of welfare, but I believe it does more harm than good.

And I hope I am not asking too many questions, because I am ignorant of the UK system, but why is it so easy for immigrants to get on welfare? I thought many nations immigration policies are structure in the way that people who have the means to immigrate are only allowed into those countries unless they are considered refugees, which is a small minority for immigrants.
Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by Nebeuwa(m): 2:39pm On Apr 22, 2012
Katsumoto:

That was a very silly study; black women, together with latinos are the most beautiful women in the world. Clearly, the study was conducted by people who love bones and flat ars.es.

I agree that the study is ludicrous, and I think the population used was skewed in favor of those who are of European descent. And I love black women of all shades and I will soon be happily married to one. However, those were the results of the study and you can also correlate that study and find that black women are least likely in the United States to marry outside their race.

See the article Interracial Marriage More Common Than Ever, but Black Women Still Lag http://abcnews.go.com/WN/Media/black-women-marry-interracial-marriage-common/story?id=10830719#.T5QJ6TJSRFo
Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by Jakumo(m): 2:45pm On Apr 22, 2012
Katsumoto:

It boils down to personal preference, Katsumoto-san. I can't stand the company of perpetually indignant or arrogant women, and I never date such specimens regardless of race. It just so happens that the raw deal historically handed the black American female makes her as highly-strung as a long-tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs. No thank you. I'd sooner makle a career of choking the lizard than face the many mortal perils of dating a mad-as-hell Soul Sistah who is ever ready to reach for her gat ha ha.

Some Japanese women, on the other hand, can be astonishingly beautiful and sexy, and I would give a right arm to date those who fall into that alluring category. Sorry to go off topic here, but a reality check was called for.
Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by antartica(m): 2:48pm On Apr 22, 2012
Nebeuwa: I have question for Nigerians who live in the United Kingdom, is it easy for Nigerian immigrants or any immigrant in general to get on welfare? The reason I ask this, because in the United States, it is very hard for any immigrant to be allowed on welfare. There is no social safety net for those who are not citizens of the United States. It is either you sink or you swim. That is why you find many recent immigrants to the United States like Mexicans, Dominicans, Indians, Nigerians working many jobs so they can make ends meet.

England is more like a welfare state.Very lenient to the poor as regards giving them handouts,never pushing the down trodden to change their status.While america is the opposite.Until recently that times are generally hard,it was only the very lowest of the low that resort to welfare in america,even among born americans,talkless of foreigners who are there to hustle hard.

It was a shameful thing to be on welfare in america years back,even among descent thinking single mums.But in england,normal people feel cool being on welfare because it is slightly more comfortable,sometimes better than low paid jobs.
Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by Katsumoto: 2:58pm On Apr 22, 2012
Jakumo:

It boils down to personal preference, Katsumoto-san. I can't stand the company of perpetually indignant or arrogant women, and I never date such specimens regardless of race. It just so happens that the raw deal historically handed the black American female makes her as highly-strung as a long-tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs. No thank you. I'd sooner makle a career of choking the lizard than face the many mortal perils of dating a mad-as-hell Soul Sistah who is ever ready to reach for her gat ha ha.

Some Japanese women, on the other hand, can be astonishingly beautiful and sexy, and I would give a right arm to date those who fall into that alluring category. Sorry to go off topic here, but a reality check was called for here.

Jakumo-san cheesy

Yes it boils down to personal preference but being able to handle a woman with drama also makes you more of a real man. Besides, my comment was about physical attributes and with physical attributes, I don't need some chap who doesn't have the liver to step to a BLACK woman that skinny pancake ar.se is more attractive than a BLACK woman. I do have friends who secretly love black woman but don't have the liver to step to them. At the end of the day, a man will settle with one woman and that woman can come from any race. If a man so desires, he can find a woman to match his personality in every race. Not all BLACK women are aggressive just as not all Asian women are submissive. Lets not over-generalise here; there are BLACK women on at least 4 continents. It is wrong to project the American black woman stereotype to all others. grin

2 Likes

Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by Katsumoto: 3:01pm On Apr 22, 2012
Nebeuwa:

I agree that the study is ludicrous, and I think the population used was skewed in favor of those who are of European descent. And I love black women of all shades and I will soon be happily married to one. However, those were the results of the study and you can also correlate that study and find that black women are least likely in the United States to marry outside their race.

See the article Interracial Marriage More Common Than Ever, but Black Women Still Lag http://abcnews.go.com/WN/Media/black-women-marry-interracial-marriage-common/story?id=10830719#.T5QJ6TJSRFo

Thats because BLACK women like to date black men or sexy mixed-race men cool . Its like Nigerian women rarely date non-Nigerian men when compared with East and south african women dating men from other countries.
Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by Nebeuwa(m): 3:08pm On Apr 22, 2012
Katsumoto:

Thats because BLACK women like to date black men. Its like Nigerian women rarely date non-Nigerian men when compared with East and south african women dating men from other countries.

Sorry, but your comparisons has no basis with what we are discussing. Maybe I should have been clearer, but I am just talking about black women in the United States. These studies probably used populations within the UNITED STATES. Hence the skewed outlook.

Black women in the United States do not have much choices. Many white men are scared of them, Hispanic men seem to prefer their own or white women, and the population of black men in jail are at epic proportions. I even read somewhere, that there are 1.8 million more black women in the United States than men.
Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by Katsumoto: 3:10pm On Apr 22, 2012
Nebeuwa:

Sorry, but your comparisons has no basis with what we are discussing. Maybe I should have been clearer, but I am just talking about black women in the United States. These studies probably used populations within the UNITED STATES. Hence the skewed outlook.

Black women in the United States do not have much choices. Many white men are scared of them, Hispanic men seem to prefer their own or white women, and the population of black men in jail are at epic proportions. I even read somewhere, that there are 1.8 million more black women in the United States than men.

Now you are much clearer.
Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by antartica(m): 3:10pm On Apr 22, 2012
The only thing black women do bad is trying to look like oyinbos with wigs.It is easy to dismiss it as fashion,but just think of a blackman with jerry curls,the very wrong message it denotes or a normal oyinbo woman with braids.

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder and the only thing beautiful about a person is his/her good nature.

1 Like

Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by Jakumo(m): 3:11pm On Apr 22, 2012
Nebeuwa:

Scared of them with very good reason too. There ain't no bullet-proof Juju on sale in America, so best stay out the line of fire ha ha ha.
Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by Brixtonyute(m): 3:14pm On Apr 22, 2012
Still on this topic

Like MLK's dream, there is no solution. Anglo-saxons are not ready to give up their country anytime soon. grin

2 Likes

Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by Nebeuwa(m): 3:16pm On Apr 22, 2012
antartica:

England is more like a welfare state.Very lenient to the poor as regards giving them handouts,never pushing the down trodden to change their status.While america is the opposite.Until recently that times are generally hard,it was only the very lowest of the low that resort to welfare in america,even among born americans,talkless of foreigners who are there to hustle hard.

It was a shameful thing to be on welfare in america years back,even among descent thinking single mums.But in england,normal people feel cool being on welfare because it is slightly more comfortable,sometimes better than low paid jobs.

The Welfare State that many Republicans/conservatives hope to prevent from happening in the United States. Maybe there is wisdom in their fight, because we do not want the United States to suffer like the Greeks and Spanish are suffering, because of welfare cuts. Cuts into welfare in the United States would only impact a small segment of the population. Now cutting Medicare and Social Security, that would get the elderly up in arms, since they are the only group in this country who vote in large numbers.
Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by Nebeuwa(m): 3:18pm On Apr 22, 2012
Jakumo:

Scared of them with very good reason too. There ain't no bullet-proof Juju on sale in America, so best stay out the line of fire ha ha ha.

lol They are not that scary. Most of past girlfriends have been African American, but I had to move my sights to black women from other parts of the Diaspora. cool All I know is when you deal with an African American woman, you better come correct.
Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by antartica(m): 3:32pm On Apr 22, 2012
Nebeuwa:

The Welfare State that many Republicans/conservatives hope to prevent from happening in the United States. Maybe there is wisdom in their fight, because we do not want the United States to suffer like the Greeks and Spanish are suffering, because of welfare cuts. Cuts into welfare in the United States would only impact a small segment of the population. Now cutting Medicare and Social Security, that would get the elderly up in arms, since they are the only group in this country who vote in large numbers.

I am a very good proponent of descent welfare state.I am not a fan of winner takes all at all,more like the american system.But there should be a balance between caring for people and subduing mental drives.People should be cared for when they are actually in need but not when they are taking the pi...

Everybody can't be at work at the same time,there wont be enough work for everybody.While some do the work and earn some descent money,some can live of stipends with few choices.Persnally i will rather work than live off stipend and i don't mind footing the bills for the stipend earners,as long as i make a living.

Win some,lose some.
Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by stillme(m): 3:57pm On Apr 22, 2012
I'm a yoruba guy. The runaway dads are mostly yoruba. My UK friend told me that all they do is hit and run.

1 Like

Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by tunnytox(m): 4:01pm On Apr 22, 2012
Katsumoto:

There is always a different perspective and everything is relative. When you compare opportunities in the UK with other European countries, Black people in the UK have it good but when you compare it with opportunities in the US, the picture is not so rosy. It may be true that a lot of black folk have white-collar jobs in the UK but you need to dig deeper to see an underlying issue.

Typically, most ‘successful’ black people in the UK are in the arts & entertainment, IT, medical, and accounting industries. In the industries where old boy networks reign supreme such as Law, surveying, tenured professorships, media, advertising, etc, you will find only a handful of Black folks. Even in the management consultancy industry, you will find many Caucasians with history and literature degrees from Oxford being selected ahead of more qualified Black folks.

For the black folks who have white collar jobs, they generally think that the UK is a good place until they hit the proverbial glass ceiling, then their careers goes into a rut and they are stuck in the same role for decades with no promotion. When they move (career-wise), it’s always horizontal and never vertical. Yes there are opportunities in the UK but it’s only for a few.

Black folks have been going to school, in large numbers, in the UK since the 40s but look at the boards of the FTSE 100 and there has only ever been one black CEO (Thiam, who was appointed in 2009). Currently, in the US, you have Thompson (McDonalds), Frazier (Merck), Chenault (Amex), Burns (female, Xerox), Ferguson (TIAA-CREF), O’Neal (Delphi), Otis (Darden). There are others such as Ward, Parson (Citigroup), ONeal (Merrill Lynch), Raines, etc.

One may argue that Black folks in the UK are not positioning themselves properly in terms of not knowing when to do post graduate courses and what courses to pursue. And also that not many are going to school. But what about those who have selected the right courses and done their post graduate programs at the right time and are still being overlooked.

Nice one!!
No doubt UK is institutionally racist however, i don't think US fair better in organised racism.
Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by buzugee(m): 4:03pm On Apr 22, 2012
the crimes of nigerians in america is worse than the crimes of nigerians in the uk. there have been over 30 cases of nigerian men killing thier wives in america with guns and knives etc etc. these women are usually nurses while the men are unemployed or underemployed. you would never find that kind of crime in the uk. a husband killing their wife in cold blood ? not in the uk. crime is worse amongst nigerians in america
Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by Nebeuwa(m): 4:13pm On Apr 22, 2012
buzugee: the crimes of nigerians in america is worse than the crimes of nigerians in the uk. there have been over 30 cases of nigerian men killing thier wives in america with guns and knives etc etc. these women are usually nurses while the men are unemployed or underemployed. you would never find that kind of crime in the uk. a husband killing their wife in cold blood ? not in the uk. crime is worse amongst nigerians in america

I was waiting for someone to bring that up. Where did you get that 30 number from? I would say that number is between 5-10. It is still too high, but it is definitely not 30. I had recently a discussion about that, and I think that the Nigerian men who have killed their wives are simply "bush men," who do not know to manage their wives once they come to the United States and witness the liberalizing effect of America on women. Nigerian women in Nigeria, should be wary of Nigerian men who come back to Nigeria to find a wife in their village. They should ask themselves, why couldn't they have found a wife in the United States where there are plenty of single women? That is another topic, which is best left for another day.

That being said, Nigerian youth in the United States are not known to join gangs even though they are prevalent amongst the black community in the United States unlike their counterparts in the UK. When was the last time you heard of a Nigerian American in the United States killing another youth based on gang affiliation? When was the last time in general have you heard of any young Nigerian American committing a crime in the United States?

3 Likes

Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by BlackBaron: 4:24pm On Apr 22, 2012
I disagree bout the racism part. Blacks were among the first wave of immigrants to the UK. Yet, the Indians who came much afterward seem to be better off with a burgeoning middle class. I'm often surprised to see a second or third generation black family still living in sink hole estates whilst their Indian counterparts have long climbed up the social ladder.
Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by aglomar: 4:34pm On Apr 22, 2012
Insightful questions. Answers pls
Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by buzugee(m): 4:42pm On Apr 22, 2012
Nebeuwa:

I was waiting for someone to bring that up. Where did you get that 30 number from? I would say that number is between 5-10. It is still too high, but it is definitely not 30. I had recently a discussion about that, and I think that the Nigerian men who have killed their wives are simply "bush men," who do not know to manage their wives once they come to the United States and witness the liberalizing effect of America on women. Nigerian women in Nigeria, should be wary of Nigerian men who come back to Nigeria to find a wife in their village. They should ask themselves, why couldn't they have found a wife in the United States where there are plenty of single women? That is another topic, which is best left for another day.

That being said, Nigerian youth in the United States are not known to join gangs even though they are prevalent amongst the black community in the United States unlike their counterparts in the UK. When was the last time you heard of a Nigerian American in the United States killing another youth based on gang affiliation? When was the last time in general have you heard of any young Nigerian American committing a crime in the United States?
between 5 and 10 ? you are crazy. i can provide links for over 20 cases of nigerian men killing their wives in america.
Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by Afam4eva(m): 4:46pm On Apr 22, 2012
buzugee: between 5 and 10 ? you are crazy. i can provide links for over 20 cases of nigerian men killing their wives in america.
Please do.
Re: The Crime Wave Impacting British Of Nigerian Descent by buzugee(m): 5:11pm On Apr 22, 2012

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply)

Police Parades 13 Year Old Female Suicide Bomber In Kano (Picture) / Soldiers Recover Laptops, Weapons From Boko Haram Cell (Photos) / "Form Three Lines"- Olusegun Obasanjo, shouts at His Former Schoolmates (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.