Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,632 members, 7,816,607 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:51 PM

Tribalism Among Nigerians In Diaspora And On The Web – A Trend We Need To Stop - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tribalism Among Nigerians In Diaspora And On The Web – A Trend We Need To Stop (15371 Views)

Association Of Nigerians In The Diaspora (AND) / Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? / Tokunboh: To Live Abroad, Nigerians In Diaspora, And Matters Arising (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tribalism Among Nigerians In Diaspora And On The Web – A Trend We Need To Stop by Nnenna1(f): 10:50pm On Apr 25, 2012
Re: Tribalism Among Nigerians In Diaspora And On The Web – A Trend We Need To Stop by Nobody: 10:52pm On Apr 25, 2012
Beaf:
Sorry, YOU went into hiding when poster after poster began to question why cretins like you were not ashamed of yourselves. You look like the id!ot that you are on that thread, bro (just as you look an id!ot here as well).

Where were hiding yesterday?? grin grin grin grin

Beaf is on here 24/7 - but he went ghost yesterday after getting whopped.. Bruv, don't create threads to mock poor Nigerians next time. grin
Re: Tribalism Among Nigerians In Diaspora And On The Web – A Trend We Need To Stop by Nobody: 10:54pm On Apr 25, 2012
Ekwy_nwa

Omalicha, biko I miss you. kiss
Re: Tribalism Among Nigerians In Diaspora And On The Web – A Trend We Need To Stop by Nnenna1(f): 10:56pm On Apr 25, 2012
Re: Tribalism Among Nigerians In Diaspora And On The Web – A Trend We Need To Stop by Nobody: 10:57pm On Apr 25, 2012
Nnenna1:

:/

Oh well...

Make sure I get an invite to you guys' wedding. I have the Igbo traditional dress, and the red cap to match.

Igbo Kwenu.. Kwezuenu. cool
Re: Tribalism Among Nigerians In Diaspora And On The Web – A Trend We Need To Stop by Beaf: 10:57pm On Apr 25, 2012
shymmex:

Where were hiding yesterday?? grin grin grin grin

Beaf is on here 24/7 - but he went ghost yesterday after getting whopped.. Bruv, don't create threads to mock poor Nigerians next time. grin
Just admit that you are a bigot who is being shamed here.

Disgraceful.
Re: Tribalism Among Nigerians In Diaspora And On The Web – A Trend We Need To Stop by Nobody: 11:00pm On Apr 25, 2012
Nnenna1: Another societal ill is obviously sexism - we need to respect our women, take them seriously, and stop all forms of abuse and discrimination.

That has more to do with western influence - our culture respects our women. I think we need a total overhaul of the Nigerian system, and we need to focus more on our culture.. Religion is also one of the biggest problems in Nigeria - but that's a topic for another day
Re: Tribalism Among Nigerians In Diaspora And On The Web – A Trend We Need To Stop by Nobody: 11:02pm On Apr 25, 2012
Beaf:

All in all, SW people need to stop insulting others; they have the most to lose.

Re: Tribalism Among Nigerians In Diaspora And On The Web – A Trend We Need To Stop by tigerleggs(m): 11:03pm On Apr 25, 2012
@ shymmex, I dey laugh. Hahahaha.
Re: Tribalism Among Nigerians In Diaspora And On The Web – A Trend We Need To Stop by Nobody: 11:06pm On Apr 25, 2012
Beaf:
Just admit that you are a bigot who is being shamed here.

Disgraceful.

I'm not even close to a bigot. I grew up with Igbo, Urhobo, and Edo friends - and we all still keep in touch. The funniest thing is that, everyone says I look more Igbo than Yoruba - because I'm light-skinned - and I don't even deny it when Igbo people think I'm one of them...

From 2007 - 2009, all the guys I was hanging around were Igbos. How do you think I can write the little Igbo I write on NL, without living in Nigeria??

I'm Mr. Nigeria, and I don't discriminate. cool
Re: Tribalism Among Nigerians In Diaspora And On The Web – A Trend We Need To Stop by babaowo: 11:08pm On Apr 25, 2012
Sky-walker:
i think this shit either started on Nairaland.I am not sure if it happens in real life in Naija. I roll with different tribes in the UK here. All tribes and we get along well, go to clubs together, find jobs together and hustle together no matter what and we help each other. Nobody ever spoke about tribal issues and we all good.

i think most tribalist are internet trolls.Most who dont have a life in the real world and they try and make themselves look superior by hiding be-hide computers
.. Another blunt truth.
Re: Tribalism Among Nigerians In Diaspora And On The Web – A Trend We Need To Stop by Beaf: 11:08pm On Apr 25, 2012
saxywale:

I would have appreciated a comment, bro. SW people insult everybody which is unfair, its something that needs to be dealt with.

Yours sincerely

From a man whose people are daubed "drunken fishermen" by SWerners (for no reason). embarassed

1 Like

Re: Tribalism Among Nigerians In Diaspora And On The Web – A Trend We Need To Stop by Nnenna1(f): 11:08pm On Apr 25, 2012
Re: Tribalism Among Nigerians In Diaspora And On The Web – A Trend We Need To Stop by Nobody: 11:09pm On Apr 25, 2012
tigerleggs: @ shymmex, I dey laugh. Hahahaha.

Why you dey laugh na?
Re: Tribalism Among Nigerians In Diaspora And On The Web – A Trend We Need To Stop by Beaf: 11:11pm On Apr 25, 2012
shymmex:

I'm not even close to a bigot. I grew up with Igbo, Urhobo, and Edo friends - and we all still keep in touch. The funniest thing is that, everyone says I look more Igbo than Yoruba - because I'm light-skinned - and I don't even deny it when Igbo people think I'm one of them...

From 2007 - 2009, all the guys I was hanging around were Igbos. How do you think I can write the little Igbo I write on NL, without living in Nigeria??

I'm Mr. Nigeria, and I don't discriminate. cool
You are a bigot, bro.
I don't blame you that much from the history you've given. If you have never lived in Nigeria, there is bound to be a serious disconnect with your identity that might make you play the fool a few times too many.
Re: Tribalism Among Nigerians In Diaspora And On The Web – A Trend We Need To Stop by Nobody: 11:13pm On Apr 25, 2012
Nnenna1:
You think Nigeria cultures respect women?
Don't agree - even this thread has actually shown a snippet of this problem.

If you don't think so - maybe you need to read more about our culture, and how it celebrates women.. How do you think we had women like Queen Amina, Madam Tinubu, and the Aba Women in our history?? Our culture has been bastardized, but the real African culture celebrates, and worship their women.

Yorubas worship feminine gods like Osun, Oya, Yemoja etc.
Re: Tribalism Among Nigerians In Diaspora And On The Web – A Trend We Need To Stop by Nobody: 11:15pm On Apr 25, 2012
Beaf:
You are a bigot, bro.
I don't blame you that much from the history you've given. If you have never lived in Nigeria, there is bound to be a serious disconnect with your identity that might make you play the fool a few times too many.

I'm connected to my Nigerian identity - I'm from little Lagos in London a la Peckham - it can't get realer than that.
Re: Tribalism Among Nigerians In Diaspora And On The Web – A Trend We Need To Stop by Beaf: 11:19pm On Apr 25, 2012
shymmex:

I'm connected to my Nigerian identity - I'm from little Lagos in London a la Peckham - it can't get realer than that.
I'm just telling you that you don't need to play the fool to be accepted. I can deduce that you might actually be a good person at heart, but you are also young and confused.

Peckham is not Lagos and never will be. Take time out to visit and get to know your people and country (good and bad aspects).
Peckham will never teach you those things.
Re: Tribalism Among Nigerians In Diaspora And On The Web – A Trend We Need To Stop by Nnenna1(f): 11:20pm On Apr 25, 2012
Re: Tribalism Among Nigerians In Diaspora And On The Web – A Trend We Need To Stop by basher(m): 11:22pm On Apr 25, 2012
Ill rather people vent their warped & pervasive tribal frustrations here in NL than in real life. I believe its therapy for them & is directly related to other frustrations and dashed hopes they have in real life.

1 Like

Re: Tribalism Among Nigerians In Diaspora And On The Web – A Trend We Need To Stop by mimifonwon(f): 11:23pm On Apr 25, 2012
@symmex first step in fixing tribalism, let the government mandate that every child learn a different language within nigeria, other than english and their native tongue. Then There should be an intercultural exchanges between uni students. For examples students from ondo state can choose to transfer for a semester to an abia state school or edo state school, or university in kano and vise versa, this will greatly help, in helping reshape our youths and generation on these tribalism problem. Its a a place to start.
Re: Tribalism Among Nigerians In Diaspora And On The Web – A Trend We Need To Stop by MrGlobe(m): 11:27pm On Apr 25, 2012
Everybody knows that the id¡ot who started this thread is a renowned bigot. Always subtle (like his kin). Why are you trying to preach tolerence and bigotry on the same keyboard. Nobody takes you seriously thats why your threads are playcenters. Again igbos and yiruba cannot mix healthily. Divide this fhkin country lets see who will lose more. Foh
Re: Tribalism Among Nigerians In Diaspora And On The Web – A Trend We Need To Stop by Nobody: 11:28pm On Apr 25, 2012
Nnenna1: Shymmex, a few female icons do not determine the rule because they are exceptions.
Just putting the sexism bit out there so Nigerian men,even you, can be aware when relating to women or girls.
There are even subtle but insulting aspects to sexism too (in conversation, etc).
I'm veering offtopic though, so I'll let you have the last word and call it a night.

It's cool.

Nite nite.
Re: Tribalism Among Nigerians In Diaspora And On The Web – A Trend We Need To Stop by Nobody: 11:30pm On Apr 25, 2012
Beaf:
I'm just telling you that you don't need to play the fool to be accepted. I can deduce that you might actually be a good person at heart, but you are also young and confused.

Peckham is not Lagos and never will be. Take time out to visit and get to know your people and country (good and bad aspects).
Peckham will never teach you those things.

I'll be in Lagos in December - I hope that will help. grin
Re: Tribalism Among Nigerians In Diaspora And On The Web – A Trend We Need To Stop by PhysicsQED(m): 11:30pm On Apr 25, 2012
Shymmex, can you please stop making these "one-nigeria"/"unity" type of threads/posts. It's getting repetitive.
Re: Tribalism Among Nigerians In Diaspora And On The Web – A Trend We Need To Stop by 2wins(m): 11:32pm On Apr 25, 2012
shymmex: Sitting on my bed, as I inhale, and exhale my cigarette smoke - I reminisce how I used to view Nigerians as the same people. I was never raised to believe my tribe was superior to my “bredrin’s” tribe. We were all raised as Nigerians first before anything – and we all used to verbally defend Nigeria against our Ghanaian peers – and fist fight our Caribbean peers. That seems like a long time ago now – because tribalism is now rife among Nigerians in diaspora, and on the virtual World Wide Web. It seems we were all young back then, and we were living in denial – and probably tribalists on the inside, but Nigerian on outside.

I noticed every time I chat to my friends now (most of whom have never been to Nigeria) – they are always quick to point out their tribes. My Igbo friend told me the other day, that his sister got married to one of ‘my people’. I was shocked when he said one of ‘my people’ – and I asked him what he meant by that. He then explained to me that his sister got married to a Yoruba guy. My Urhobo/Edo friend has now imbibed the habit of always reminding that “those are your people” every time there are Yoruba names on TV. To be honest, I’m not comfortable with this new trend. It seems everyone in the diaspora has now been infected the tribal consciousness virus. We never used to be like this – we used to be proud Nigerians back in the days – when we used go to African parties, and jam to Sir Shina Peters and King Sunny Ade together as Nigerians. Where did it go wrong?

Today, I went on youtube to check SBTV (a UK urban music video channel on youtube) – and I saw an acoustic performance by the great Nigerian singer, Nneka. As I scrolled down to read some of the comments under the video – I noticed some youths posted comments like: “she is Igbo, that’s my tribe”, “big up Igbo, Igbo for life”, “repping Igbo hard” etc. I was baffled because this is a music video channel visited by mostly youths raised in the UK – and I was expecting the Nigerians on there to big up, Naija – and not their tribes. This new trend of tribal consciousness is becoming problematic, and we need to put it in check before it consumes us all – and destroy our future generations.

We’re all still Nigerians, pending our disintegration – which is not happening in the foreseeable future. The older folks among us need to stop promoting tribal sentiments – and start raising their kids as Nigerians. The Nigerian diaspora is already divided along class, and country of residence lines – we shouldn’t divide further – what’s already divided.

I know Nigeria is in a sorry state – but we don’t need to write the country off. I believe in the population, and the diversity Nigeria brings. I believe in the Nigerian people. If china can go from being a hellhole, to being a superpower – I believe Nigeria can also do the same. Nigerians are a unique group of people, bond together by the Confluence of Niger & Benue River – and we shouldn't break the natural confluence, which binds us together. Nigeria is Africa – and the future of Africa depends on Nigeria. If Nigeria can rise to its full potentials – I believe Africa definitely has an opportunity to turn the tide – but if Nigeria fails, Africa is going to be exploited forever.

Nigeria is Europe’s mistake – but a blessing to mama Africa. The future of the black race depends on us – we can’t let our race down.

N/B: Some may want to claim that I'm also a tribalist - but the truth is that I was infected with the bug on NL, and I have since rid myself off the silly bug. cool
Sorry oh. But naija is more united tday than tmoro.
Re: Tribalism Among Nigerians In Diaspora And On The Web – A Trend We Need To Stop by MrGlobe(m): 11:32pm On Apr 25, 2012
mimifonwon: @symmex first step in fixing tribalism, let the government mandate that every child learn a different language within nigeria, other than english and their native tongue. Then There should be an intercultural exchanges between uni students. For examples students from ondo state can choose to transfer for a semester to an abia state school or edo state school, or university in kano and vise versa, this will greatly help, in helping reshape our youths and generation on these tribalism problem. Its a a place to start.
na by force? Where is human rights? How can you force a tribe on someone. Maybe they should also force Yoruba on everybody too so we know we are fighting tribalism smh. Some tribes cannot cohabitate just like oil and water
Re: Tribalism Among Nigerians In Diaspora And On The Web – A Trend We Need To Stop by dansanini: 11:33pm On Apr 25, 2012
this is a war of identity,which people like me cannot fought,so go ahead,as for me i dont believe in what you are fighting on
Re: Tribalism Among Nigerians In Diaspora And On The Web – A Trend We Need To Stop by Nobody: 11:33pm On Apr 25, 2012
mimifonwon: @symmex first step in fixing tribalism, let the government mandate that every child learn a different language within nigeria, other than english and their native tongue. Then There should be an intercultural exchanges between uni students. For examples students from ondo state can choose to transfer for a semester to an abia state school or edo state school, or university in kano and vise versa, this will greatly help, in helping reshape our youths and generation on these tribalism problem. Its a a place to start.

That was why I suggested a complete overhaul of the whole system. We as Nigerians need a new orientation; reconciliation of all the tribes to heal old wounds; and probably a dictator to beat senses into the citizens.
Re: Tribalism Among Nigerians In Diaspora And On The Web – A Trend We Need To Stop by Nobody: 11:35pm On Apr 25, 2012
PhysicsQED: Shymmex, can you please stop making these "one-nigeria"/"unity" type of threads/posts. It's getting repetitive.

Why should I stop it? I will continue to preach the same sermon, till we accept unity.

1 Like

Re: Tribalism Among Nigerians In Diaspora And On The Web – A Trend We Need To Stop by PhysicsQED(m): 11:37pm On Apr 25, 2012
MsDarkSkin:
NOOOO!!

I support your mission but...the bolded? nope!!
It's that same mindset that cause the rift WITHIN the Nigerian community, the African community and the black community at large. The black race is NOT dependent on Nigerians nor is Nigeria dependent of Igbos specifically or Yoruba specifically and so on...ALL people within the Nigerian community TOGETHER must build Nigeria just as ALL black people must uplift the black race. Supremacy is not the same thing as patriotism.

I agree with the spirit of this statement, but people often have to be at least a little arrogant about their own self worth in order to climb to greater heights. One doesn't necessarily need to broadcast that chauvinistic arrogance and announce it with a loudspeaker, but it is occasionally useful as a motivational tool or as a reminder of what the minimum is that one needs to achieve and it shouldn't necessarily be tossed out just on principle.

Humility is socially/diplomatically useful, but a tinge of arrogance is also useful as a motivator.
Re: Tribalism Among Nigerians In Diaspora And On The Web – A Trend We Need To Stop by PhysicsQED(m): 11:38pm On Apr 25, 2012
shymmex:
Why should I stop it? I will continue to preach the same sermon, till we accept unity.

You're probably 1 or 2 years too late to this forum to make any impact here. Maybe you should spread the gospel on another forum.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

2019: PDP To Cede House Speaker To South-west - Punch / Ibom Deep Sea Port, $1.4bn Fertilizer Plant To Change Akwa Ibom’s Status / Lagos Closes Down More Lounges And Clubs For Safety Violations

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.