Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,644 members, 7,816,647 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:32 PM

Tribalism Among Nigerians In Diaspora And On The Web – A Trend We Need To Stop - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tribalism Among Nigerians In Diaspora And On The Web – A Trend We Need To Stop (15372 Views)

Association Of Nigerians In The Diaspora (AND) / Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? / Tokunboh: To Live Abroad, Nigerians In Diaspora, And Matters Arising (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tribalism Among Nigerians In Diaspora And On The Web – A Trend We Need To Stop by Nobody: 11:41pm On Apr 25, 2012
Mr. Globe:
E

[size=14pt]MR GLOBE HATING ON HIS FELLOW IGBOS[/size]

lol. You are not far from the truth and the 'clownishly incompetent' you used in describing peter obi is very perfect.
In other news, this guy called onlytruth is corny. Wonder who made him the id.iotic 'eze' on nairaland that is decieveing him? How can you talk for ndiigbo when you are a govt agent and claim ignorance of the governance curse of peter obi on his state. Comparing peter obi to rochas and chime and putting peter obi and sam mbakwe in the same context is just stup!d and thats what he is! Eze my foot.

At this point, I will have to come in and say the the devil in all his wickedness punish you. Facelift ke? Come back home and see what is happening ko? As if anambra is in the moon. Quit spreading lies. Anambra is in sh/!tt. Awka is like nsuka or even worse. Onitsha? Nnewi? Not even an airport for known mobile and economic Anambra people. Everything has gone from stalemate to backwards under obi. Anids is a scam. May the gods punish you and your master for conniving in impoverishing a potential state. I will report your posts for spam.

Guy, go kiss a python. I thought this thread was about two progressive cities? Can you match your 1216 Awka with any of the cities we talking here? I thought someone has already advised you to wait until 52 years when awka might get to owerri status to comment. Am willing to sponsor you on a trip to a city so you know what development is all about and not disgracefully bringing awka here. You look like an id/iot for that. If you must talk anambra, talk onitsha

You have been exposed!! grin grin grin
Re: Tribalism Among Nigerians In Diaspora And On The Web – A Trend We Need To Stop by MrGlobe(m): 11:54pm On Apr 25, 2012
shymmex:

[size=14pt]MR GLOBE HATING ON HIS FELLOW IGBOS[/size]

You have been exposed!! grin grin grin
you are silly. Yeah, I was attacking a non performing governor and his agents and so what? Am a progressive. I care for my people and then you cant compare my civility to the zoo war between Aregbeshola and Omisorri or the Acn and LP in ondo state trying to kill themselves, or tunubu and obj. OR THE NURTW BOYS IN IBADAN SLAUGHTERING THEMSELVES.
The only thing exposed so far is your stup¡dity!!!!!
Re: Tribalism Among Nigerians In Diaspora And On The Web – A Trend We Need To Stop by ezotik: 11:57pm On Apr 25, 2012
In other news, this guy called onlytruth is corny. Wonder who made him the id.iotic 'eze' on nairaland that is decieveing him?

i do agree with that comment though. that title should have gone to andre uweh aka tuzuonigga grin grin
Re: Tribalism Among Nigerians In Diaspora And On The Web – A Trend We Need To Stop by noiseless: 11:57pm On Apr 25, 2012
Anywhere you see the IDs alhj harem,transgendered/shymmex, buttyend/bittyend, bakila,odua soja,daftyokanu and other gangs of back up buch of hypocrites, the i advice better get your bigotproof jacket. These lots need to arrested and taken to a mental home, they will provok,start fight and scream claming they are victims.
Re: Tribalism Among Nigerians In Diaspora And On The Web – A Trend We Need To Stop by Nobody: 11:58pm On Apr 25, 2012
Mr. Globe:

you are silly. Yeah, I was attacking a non performing governor and his agents and so what? Am a progressive. I care for my people and then you cant compare my civility to the zoo war between Aregbeshola and Omisorri or the Acn and LP in ondo state trying to kill themselves, or tunubu and obj. The only thing exposed do far is your stup¡dity!!!!!

If you're not a bigot, how dare you disrespect Onlytruth a la Eze ndigbo gburu gburu of NL - the elected leader of Igbos in NL kindgom? grin
Re: Tribalism Among Nigerians In Diaspora And On The Web – A Trend We Need To Stop by Nobody: 12:00am On Apr 26, 2012
[s]
noiseless: Anywhere you see the IDs alhj harem,transgendered/shymmex, buttyend/bittyend, bakila,odua soja,daftyokanu and other gangs of back up buch of hypocrites, the i advice better get your bigotproof jacket. These lots need to arrested and taken to a mental home, they will provok,start fight and scream claming they are victims.
[/s]

Hug a nuclear reactor in fukushima.
Re: Tribalism Among Nigerians In Diaspora And On The Web – A Trend We Need To Stop by MrGlobe(m): 12:00am On Apr 26, 2012
noiseless: Anywhere you see the IDs alhj harem,transgendered/shymmex, buttyend/bittyend, bakila,odua soja,daftyokanu and other gangs of back up buch of hypocrites, the i advice better get your bigotproof jacket. These lots need to arrested and taken to a mental home, they will provok,start fight and scream claming they are victims.
lol, the poke cant even hide under a rock. He is known everywhere for bigotry
Re: Tribalism Among Nigerians In Diaspora And On The Web – A Trend We Need To Stop by MrGlobe(m): 12:03am On Apr 26, 2012
ezotik:

i do agree with that comment though. that title should have gone to andre uweh aka tuzuonigga grin grin
Thank you. I can only be fair. Lets leave who to support for the people but not that guy
Re: Tribalism Among Nigerians In Diaspora And On The Web – A Trend We Need To Stop by hamsky: 12:16am On Apr 26, 2012
This may sound very weird but I left my Nigerian friends to stay with a British family (complete strangers) because of the issue of tribalism.
Re: Tribalism Among Nigerians In Diaspora And On The Web – A Trend We Need To Stop by damselMe: 12:48am On Apr 26, 2012
Igbos will never stop fighting. Divide the country and watch igbo fight themselves to their deaths...
Re: Tribalism Among Nigerians In Diaspora And On The Web – A Trend We Need To Stop by odumchi: 1:16am On Apr 26, 2012
@Shymmex (aka the Chameleon)

I biakwala odo. You've come again grin

Very soon now you'll go back to your usual behavior lol.
Re: Tribalism Among Nigerians In Diaspora And On The Web – A Trend We Need To Stop by ak47mann(m): 1:18am On Apr 26, 2012
As my man bob Marley says,"dont let them fool-you" cool cool
Re: Tribalism Among Nigerians In Diaspora And On The Web – A Trend We Need To Stop by odumchi: 1:34am On Apr 26, 2012
@Shymmex

...But on a serious note, most of this 'tribalism' is restricted to the web especially places like Nairaland. Here in the diaspora, 'tribalism' is very rare and I've yet to witness it with my own eyes.

For example the other day, I was in a store and I heard to guys speaking Pidgin very loudly. I decided to wait a little to see if they were really speaking pidgin or just bad english. My suspicions were confirmed when I heard one of they same, "E be like say". I walked up to them and asked I'd they were Nigerian and immediately I aske that, their eyes lit up an they responded with an excites "yes". It was as if one had found his long lost brother. After telling them that I was also from Nigeria, I asked them what ethnicity they were and they said they were Yoruba. One of the guys then asked me and I said I was Igbo. I later found out that one of the guys had spent many years in Imo state. After greeting, we then went our separate ways. In our conversation, there was no sign of hatred, distrust, or resentment.

Another example is when I attended the church of a relative of mine. To my surprise, the church was a mostly Nigerian church filled with Ibibio, Igbo, Yoruba, and Edo people. These groups took turns singing church hymns in their native languages and all others joined. The church itself was like a mini-Nigeria since everyone was united based on the fact that they were Nigerian.

I'm only bringing these stories up to show you how ethnocentrism is virtually nonexistent in the diaspora since we tend to cling onto the fact that we are Nigerians when we are away from Nigeria. However when we are at home, it's a different story. In Nigeria, much of the ethnocentrism we experience is based on the fact that we know little about each other. For example, ignorant Yoruba people think that every Igbo person is named "Okoro" while igborant Igbo people think that every Yoruba person is a party animal. It's in places like the diaspora where we all realize that there really isn't much difference between us (socially speaking).

1 Like

Re: Tribalism Among Nigerians In Diaspora And On The Web – A Trend We Need To Stop by odumchi: 1:48am On Apr 26, 2012
shymmex: As I scrolled down to read some of the comments under the video – I noticed some youths posted comments like: “she is Igbo, that’s my tribe”, “big up Igbo, Igbo for life”, “repping Igbo hard” etc. I was baffled because this is a music video channel visited by mostly youths raised in the UK – and I was expecting the Nigerians on there to big up, Naija – and not their tribes. This new trend of tribal consciousness is becoming problematic, and we need to put it in check before it consumes us all – and destroy our future generations.

I heavily disagree with this. Personally, I am Igbo before I am anything else. My ethnic identity, which my ancestors have maintained for centuries, is of higher importance (to me) than my country of origin (which we all assumed in a rather dubious and decietful manner).

Personally, ethnic conscious ness is a very good thing which (I think) should be encouraged. In this world, it is very easy to lose one's identity and the fact that those British-Nigerian youths acknowledge their roots is wonderful. There are people in this world that do not know where their parents are from, but the fact that those youths went as far as pointing out their ethnicities is excellent (to me). I wouldn't want my future children to say "Africa" when asked where they're from. Rather, I want them to say, "I am from Amasu, in Arochukwu, which is in Igboland".

That's just my two-cents. And yes, just because I am Igbo before Nigerian does not mean I hate anyone. Let's all give each other space to practice our beliefs.
Re: Tribalism Among Nigerians In Diaspora And On The Web – A Trend We Need To Stop by BlackPikiN(m): 1:59am On Apr 26, 2012
damsel_Me: Ask igbo, hausa and yoruba. They are the ones claiming they own nigeria. Any Carribbean or Haitian knows where those three tribes are in nigeria cos they nigerians in diaspora always point out their tribe whenever they tell anyone they are nigerians. Nigeria is own by nobody but by every nigeria. If we don't love ourselves who will? Oyibo people? other africans?...i no longer read comments o youtube. If you go on facebook, igbo ppl's groups are like sands on the beach. Ndi igbo, Biafra...u name it. MMsschheww!!! Nonesense!...so pissed.

Go suck yourself. Oloshi
Re: Tribalism Among Nigerians In Diaspora And On The Web – A Trend We Need To Stop by aljharem(m): 2:07am On Apr 26, 2012
Yeah he is all those people because he is a superman. Keep saying things to comfort yourselves.

As for me, I love my Igbo brothers die !!! but coming here on nairaland, the iGbos here are something else. embarassed
Re: Tribalism Among Nigerians In Diaspora And On The Web – A Trend We Need To Stop by aljharem(m): 2:08am On Apr 26, 2012
Beaf:
You are a bigot, bro.
I don't blame you that much from the history you've given. If you have never lived in Nigeria, there is bound to be a serious disconnect with your identity that might make you play the fool a few times too many.

Coming from you ? LOL dude shut it, you are the worse tribalist of all time only after ezeuche
Re: Tribalism Among Nigerians In Diaspora And On The Web – A Trend We Need To Stop by Beaf: 2:25am On Apr 26, 2012
alj harem:

Coming from you ? LOL dude shut it, you are the worse tribalist of all time only after ezeuche
Were you born a fool or did you learn by practice?

1 Like

Re: Tribalism Among Nigerians In Diaspora And On The Web – A Trend We Need To Stop by Hoodrat(m): 2:40am On Apr 26, 2012
I have noticed too many tribalism comment on nairaland. Mehn its really getting out of hand,this issue more sicker than I thought and really need to be dealt with before it turns to ethnics war. Why cant we just get along? Been Yoruba, Hauser or igbo doesn't add no good but increase the hatred other Africans and western world have towards Nigeria (Hell Hole). Igbo and Yoruba claiming superior is like a 12 year old child crying for pampers that doesn't call for glorification so why trying to make yourself feel good claiming superior over your brethren which in the end boils down to poverty,disease and suffering?.Keep on disgracing and tarnishing the already tarnished image of Nigerian by your stupid gbebiafra ideology which will never come to past for nothing good comes out of criminal,wicked and corrupt minds.

I am starting to understand why Africa never progress as continent. When you were given the opportunity everyday to be civilized yet you are using it to pass ethnics hatred. For your information I am of igbo and Yoruba born but my hatred and anger towards Nigerians keep increasing more and more due to so many stupid tribalism comment and post on Nairaland I only logged on to read some news to my family only for my wife to discover Nigerians are real fkd up and diluted people from what she have seen and read so far on Nairaland. For the cyber thugs and computer heroes spreading hatred on Nairaland I pray you learn the hard way pretty soon. My last day on nairaland.
Re: Tribalism Among Nigerians In Diaspora And On The Web – A Trend We Need To Stop by phreakabit(m): 3:05am On Apr 26, 2012
Outstrip:

I did not know that tribalism was such an issue in Nigeria until I joined nairaland and I lived most of my teenage years in Nigeria. My mom is Igbo and my dad a bendelite. It was not only in recent years when I have asked y mom directly about the war that I even comprehended that Biafra in the minds of many was a country. My mom does not hate Yorubas. My cousins give their kids Yoruba middle names. It really pains me when I read how much we hate each other.

If your cousins are Igbos, well. . . . .
Re: Tribalism Among Nigerians In Diaspora And On The Web – A Trend We Need To Stop by Nobody: 3:10am On Apr 26, 2012
I dont understand the hate sad sad

Sincerely, I love Nigerians through and through. Be he Yoruba, from Ondo or from Osun, my love never dies. I intend on giving my children an Ondo native name. kiss kiss kiss
Re: Tribalism Among Nigerians In Diaspora And On The Web – A Trend We Need To Stop by ak47mann(m): 3:50am On Apr 26, 2012
phreakabit:

If your cousins are Igbos, well. . . . .
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Tribalism Among Nigerians In Diaspora And On The Web – A Trend We Need To Stop by Onlytruth(m): 4:00am On Apr 26, 2012
odumchi:

I heavily disagree with this. Personally, I am Igbo before I am anything else. My ethnic identity, which my ancestors have maintained for centuries, is of higher importance (to me) than my country of origin (which we all assumed in a rather dubious and decietful manner).

Personally, ethnic conscious ness is a very good thing which (I think) should be encouraged. In this world, it is very easy to lose one's identity and the fact that those British-Nigerian youths acknowledge their roots is wonderful. There are people in this world that do not know where their parents are from, but the fact that those youths went as far as pointing out their ethnicities is excellent (to me). I wouldn't want my future children to say "Africa" when asked where they're from. Rather, I want them to say, "I am from Amasu, in Arochukwu, which is in Igboland".

That's just my two-cents. And yes, just because I am Igbo before Nigerian does not mean I hate anyone. Let's all give each other space to practice our beliefs.

cool cool cool
Re: Tribalism Among Nigerians In Diaspora And On The Web – A Trend We Need To Stop by Johndoe100(m): 4:11am On Apr 26, 2012
@topic
Who cares what the internet Nigerians do or say? When and if they ever get here, their eyes go clear sharp sharp.
Re: Tribalism Among Nigerians In Diaspora And On The Web – A Trend We Need To Stop by ekwynwa: 4:26am On Apr 26, 2012
Hoodrat: I have noticed too many tribalism comment on nairaland. Mehn its really getting out of hand,this issue more sicker than I thought and really need to be dealt with before it turns to ethnics war. Why cant we just get along? Been Yoruba, Hauser or igbo doesn't add no good but increase the hatred other Africans and western world have towards Nigeria (Hell Hole). Igbo and Yoruba claiming superior is like a 12 year old child crying for pampers that doesn't call for glorification so why trying to make yourself feel good claiming superior over your brethren which in the end boils down to poverty,disease and suffering?.Keep on disgracing and tarnishing the already tarnished image of Nigerian by your stupid gbebiafra ideology which will never come to past for nothing good comes out of criminal,wicked and corrupt minds.

I am starting to understand why Africa never progress as continent. When you were given the opportunity everyday to be civilized yet you are using it to pass ethnics hatred. For your information I am of igbo and Yoruba born but my hatred and anger towards Nigerians keep increasing more and more due to so many stupid tribalism comment and post on Nairaland I only logged on to read some news to my family only for my wife to discover Nigerians are real fkd up and diluted people from what she have seen and read so far on Nairaland. For the cyber thugs and computer heroes spreading hatred on Nairaland I pray you learn the hard way pretty soon. My last day on nairaland.

@ Hood[b]RAT[/b], STFU angry
NL will not miss your rambling azz. Claptrap
Re: Tribalism Among Nigerians In Diaspora And On The Web – A Trend We Need To Stop by Nobody: 5:12am On Apr 26, 2012
Once had a thread about the tribalism on NL and hopefully thought it had gotten better but apparently people still have their senses ina knot.
Only a miracle will take our minds away from the hatred we have grown to sew in each other
maybe a revolution that gets rid of the old leaders,maybe a moral cleansing,Only God knows
Re: Tribalism Among Nigerians In Diaspora And On The Web – A Trend We Need To Stop by Nobody: 5:52am On Apr 26, 2012
@Shymmex Really? Weren't you in Beaf's meat thread talking about Nigeria being a cesspit? That was the only word you had for our Nigeria. No wait. Cesspit and shytehole. "Prideful Nigerians died a long time ago". "Nigeria should be compared to Somalia, Yemen". Sound familiar? Now you're calling Nigeria a blessing to Mama Africa.

How is it that diaspora Nigerians are the most tribalistic? Nigerians that have access to youtube are automatically in diaspora? Please, it's 2012.

Diaspora Nigerians gave plenty of help, support, and went on marches in the UK, New York, Oakland, Houston, Canada, promoting "One Nigeria", and we were called naive. I'm speaking from experience as I've been lambasted time and time again, by Nigerians in Nigeria, for believing in unity. Nigerians in home talk down to youthful Nigerians in diaspora sef because they think we know nothing, especially when we promote "One Naija". So how is it we're being labeled tribalistic now? If anything, today's Nigerians are for unity more so than our parents, who are still talking of Biafra, Gowon, and Awolowo.
Re: Tribalism Among Nigerians In Diaspora And On The Web – A Trend We Need To Stop by deshclones(m): 8:00am On Apr 26, 2012
shymmex:

If you're not a bigot, how dare you disrespect Onlytruth a la Eze ndigbo gburu gburu of NL - the elected leader of Igbos in NL kindgom? grin

Baggah..you obviously having fun abi?its only a myopic,jobless troll that will fall for this your unity talk.....
Re: Tribalism Among Nigerians In Diaspora And On The Web – A Trend We Need To Stop by deshclones(m): 8:03am On Apr 26, 2012
odumchi:

Your next bottle of beer is on me pal......
Re: Tribalism Among Nigerians In Diaspora And On The Web – A Trend We Need To Stop by deshclones(m): 8:05am On Apr 26, 2012
hamsky: This may sound very weird but I left my Nigerian friends to stay with a British family (complete strangers) because of the issue of tribalism.

Will be damned if those friends of yours are not yaribasssssss grin grin grin grin

very deceitful...
Re: Tribalism Among Nigerians In Diaspora And On The Web – A Trend We Need To Stop by Nobody: 8:50am On Apr 26, 2012
Its a shame !!!
Re: Tribalism Among Nigerians In Diaspora And On The Web – A Trend We Need To Stop by kpolli(m): 9:09am On Apr 26, 2012
Don't think tribalism can end (sorry to say). . . When parents brought up in Lagos still insist their daughters must marry from their tribe, it wud be hard to end this horror

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Soldiers Rescue 15 Women, Recover Armoured Personnel Carrier From Boko Haram / Ibom Deep Sea Port, $1.4bn Fertilizer Plant To Change Akwa Ibom’s Status / Russia-Ukraine War: Nigeria Ready To Fill Natural Gas Gap In Europe – Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.