Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,323 members, 7,811,952 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:19 AM

Farouk Lawan: Femi Otedola's $500K Bribe Was To Expose Him - Politics (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Farouk Lawan: Femi Otedola's $500K Bribe Was To Expose Him (32690 Views)

Tinubu Shaken By Fashola’s Threat To Expose Him / Farouk Lawan To Be Remanded In Prison Till February 9? / Police To Declare Farouk Lawan Wanted (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Farouk Lawan: Femi Otedola's $500K Bribe Was To Expose Him by Nobody: 4:44pm On Jun 12, 2012
He may be guilty but he is not going down without a fight.Moves and countermoves, attack and counterattack is already in play. I just hope the subsidy probe isn't swept under the carpet. Very soon other names will be exposed. And the circle continues at the very end of it all, nobody will be going to jail. What a pathetic system
Re: Farouk Lawan: Femi Otedola's $500K Bribe Was To Expose Him by isaco(m): 4:55pm On Jun 12, 2012
You guys are so good. Now, i believe both of them are thieves. Therefore, listen to dis: Everybody is a thief, Goodluck a gentle thief, Otedola a business thief, Lawan an honurable thief, the committe a corporate thief, northerners are arrogant thieves, westerners are stylish thieves, easterners are intelligent thieves, niger deltans are militant thieves, mid belt are middle thieves, while you n I are patriotic thieves.!. . . To be continued. . .
Re: Farouk Lawan: Femi Otedola's $500K Bribe Was To Expose Him by otokx(m): 4:57pm On Jun 12, 2012
The whole thing is trying to get confusing but it appears Farouk has a case to answer as his stories are changing by the day.
Re: Farouk Lawan: Femi Otedola's $500K Bribe Was To Expose Him by 2mch(m): 5:01pm On Jun 12, 2012
You go fear explanation sha! see story! grin grin grin cheesy. This small fry doesnt know that business men like Otedola have years of experience in these affairs, and the ears of the right people. He will not recover from this. You just dont try to blackmail people like dangote and otedola. Even TFC will not give you a job when they are finished with you.
Re: Farouk Lawan: Femi Otedola's $500K Bribe Was To Expose Him by Nobody: 5:04pm On Jun 12, 2012
maasoap: Can we have a link to news where Farouk claimed he didn't collect money with his statement in quote?

This is the exact question I'm also begging for.
It will be a fatal error if we subject our judgement to the unverified newspaper reports.
I still can't recall any news that kept his supposed statements in quote. The media at times are the most misleading elements, just for us to grab their newspapers by their misleading headlines.
Before the news of Farouk's denial was published, it had been earlier reported that he had admitted to have received the alleged money after the video tape was played to him by the speaker of the house of rep.
It was further reported that he attempted presenting the money before the House, but was refused by the house members on the ground of lapse of time.
If the news contained in the two paragraphs above is true, then I don't see how the most foolish creature on earth will later come out and claim not to have received anything after the above occurrences.
In my opinion, something is going wrong somewhere with the press releases(especially that of the denial).
I implore we still stay calm and study how the game goes rather than basing our judgements on the mischievous and unverified news of the press.
Re: Farouk Lawan: Femi Otedola's $500K Bribe Was To Expose Him by KDULAR: 5:38pm On Jun 12, 2012
isaco: You guys are so good. Now, i believe both of them are thieves. Therefore, listen to dis: Everybody is a thief, Goodluck a gentle thief, Otedola a business thief, Lawan an honurable thief, the committe a corporate thief, northerners are arrogant thieves, westerners are stylish thieves, easterners are intelligent thieves, niger deltans are militant thieves, mid belt are middle thieves, while you n I are patriotic thieves.!. . . To be continued. . .
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Farouk Lawan: Femi Otedola's $500K Bribe Was To Expose Him by CY09: 5:43pm On Jun 12, 2012
isaco: You guys are so good. Now, i believe both of them are thieves. Therefore, listen to dis: Everybody is a thief, Goodluck a gentle thief, Otedola a business thief, Lawan an honurable thief, the committe a corporate thief, northerners are arrogant thieves, westerners are stylish thieves, easterners are intelligent thieves, niger deltans are militant thieves, mid belt are middle thieves, while you n I are patriotic thieves.!. . . To be continued. . .
hahahahahahahahahahahah!
lwkmd! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
make i add 1, Nigeria a Gaint thief grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Farouk Lawan: Femi Otedola's $500K Bribe Was To Expose Him by sunkoye: 5:53pm On Jun 12, 2012
wow.....now faruku just realized the vidos was not a caricature of himself.....i fink the yeye man was pingin away when collecting banjamin. oniro...oloshi gbogbo!!
Re: Farouk Lawan: Femi Otedola's $500K Bribe Was To Expose Him by Psalter: 5:57pm On Jun 12, 2012
These are not the best of times for Hon. Farouk Lawan who is enmeshed in a monumental bribe for clearance scandal. Lawan, who is accused of extorting a bribe of $600k from Chairman of Zenon Oil, Femi Otedola, to clear his company from culpability in the fuel subsidy probe which committee in the House he chaired had contradicted what he said on Sunday by Monday. On Snday he denied ever collecting any bribe, but by Monday, after Otedol had given an interview on Thisday stating his side of his story, Lawan changed his story and alleged that he did collect the bribe but that he informed the chairman of the House Committee on Narcotics and Financial Crimes of the attempt to bribe him via a letter.

But when the Chairman of the House Committee on Narcotic Drugs and Financial Crimes, Hon. Jagaba, was contacted to confirm receipt of Lawan’s letter, he denied receiving any letter to that effect.

“I am not part of the Ad Hoc Committee on Monitoring the Fuel Subsidy and to the best of my knowledge, I did not receive any such letter of complaint about an attempt to bribe the subsidy committee. I am not aware of anything concerning that transaction (bribery) and my committee is not in possession of such a letter,” he told THISDAY in a telephone interview Monday.

Jagaba said that while he could not hold brief for Lawan, it would be important for Nigerians to look at the issue on its merit.

According to Jagaba, the subsidy report unveiled monumental corruption in the management of the subsidy scheme and should not be undermined because of the bribery allegation against the committee.
Re: Farouk Lawan: Femi Otedola's $500K Bribe Was To Expose Him by Onasa22: 5:57pm On Jun 12, 2012
I can now understand why Baba called them robbers. Parrot Farouk outrightly denied accepting bribe before now. Why the sudden change of mind. Thief
Re: Farouk Lawan: Femi Otedola's $500K Bribe Was To Expose Him by Nobody: 5:59pm On Jun 12, 2012
Zenon boss was in a state of "Delimma" and needed to make a choice. The truth is that people that have reputations and influence (not politicians) can do anything to avoid tarnishing their image just for peace to reign when it is within their capacities and Otedola has a name. I know what am saying: Otedola has reputation and can do anything within his reach to maintain his name, he values his reputation and he can't just afford to fall so cheaply (he is in not a Politician) all because he fails to do that within his reach. I can say that Otedola is clean from the allegation as the integrity of these security officers can be compromised as they are all in the game, EFCC nd CO have been given their cut to cook_up defense mechanisms. I will stop here for now.
Re: Farouk Lawan: Femi Otedola's $500K Bribe Was To Expose Him by monex(m): 6:00pm On Jun 12, 2012
oddy4real:
GEJ is corrupt? how?? do u have an instance or concrete proof you cant just make wild allegations you cant substantiate because u have unlimited access to the internet

@oddy can you really bet your salary or earnings on the fact that GEJ is not corrupt. Abeg leave matter bo. My 2 yr old nephew knows that GEJ is corrupt.

@Bayo. leave them. they actually dont want you to derail the thread with GEJ matter. deep down within them they know he is corrupt.
Re: Farouk Lawan: Femi Otedola's $500K Bribe Was To Expose Him by Nobody: 6:14pm On Jun 12, 2012
bayooooooo:

To say the least. We are back in square one. The subsidy report is now worthless.
Mr integrity is now Mr corruption. Nobody will ever take any probe in NASS serious again.

and the cycle continues. I am out!!!

den who will cause d u-turn from d way of corruption?
Re: Farouk Lawan: Femi Otedola's $500K Bribe Was To Expose Him by wealth123: 6:20pm On Jun 12, 2012
The simple question here should be: where is the $600,000 now. If its with the police, when was it deposited there, do we have a dated certificate of deposit? If otedola informed IGP or EFCC and his money were marked then the same money must now be with the IGP to clear Farouk.

Otedola should explain why he offered to bribe farouk when he knew his company did not participate in the oil subsidy programme. With his clout with Government he could have stood his ground and tell farouk to do his worst i.e call his bluff. THEY ARE USING THIS SCAM TO DIVERT OUR ATTENTION. Those companies indicted are already enjoying the loot and they will fight hard to avoid prosecution. So leave Farouk alone, he has done a good job but go after the CABAL. The house can investigate Farouk and punish him if found guilty.
Re: Farouk Lawan: Femi Otedola's $500K Bribe Was To Expose Him by econome(m): 6:27pm On Jun 12, 2012
Big Thieves Every!
Big Thieves Every!
Big Thieves Every!

Jonathan should have listen to Nigerian on January 2nd
Re: Farouk Lawan: Femi Otedola's $500K Bribe Was To Expose Him by olyivy(f): 6:54pm On Jun 12, 2012
econome: Big Thieves Every!
Big Thieves Every!
Big Thieves Every!

and you should have gone to school when your mates are at it!
Re: Farouk Lawan: Femi Otedola's $500K Bribe Was To Expose Him by Nobody: 7:07pm On Jun 12, 2012
The only hope this country has is ME.
Re: Farouk Lawan: Femi Otedola's $500K Bribe Was To Expose Him by Detongue: 7:17pm On Jun 12, 2012
Lawan said just yesterday dat he did not take bribe, here he is saying he took bribe to expose Otedola. Who does he want to fool. I thot d man had intergrity but shame on him.

His story is an after thot, he did not think it out properly b4 denying dat he did not take bribe, now dat he knows d evidence against him are very glaring (video), he as decided to cook up a story dat only a fool will blive.

Dis is a big shame Mr Lawan, u disappionted alot of us who blive in u
Re: Farouk Lawan: Femi Otedola's $500K Bribe Was To Expose Him by rolchi(m): 7:22pm On Jun 12, 2012
ROSYL: The only hope this country has is ME.

When you wan do? Kill every body ni?
Re: Farouk Lawan: Femi Otedola's $500K Bribe Was To Expose Him by femozy0311(m): 7:34pm On Jun 12, 2012
this is exactly what Fela Anikulapo Kuti called look and laugh.But ,come to think of it , who will now clean all this mess? hmmmm . Money !money!! money!!!. So its everybody that have its own price tag. na wa oh ! I must look and laugh
Re: Farouk Lawan: Femi Otedola's $500K Bribe Was To Expose Him by babestella: 7:57pm On Jun 12, 2012
Jonathan and his cohorts are all THIEVES. I can't imagine the kind of low lives running this nation gradually to a halt, what nonsense. In fact, before I come back tomorrow make all the house representatives and senate and even Jonathan disappear from Abuja, come wey this boy, bring my cane now.
Re: Farouk Lawan: Femi Otedola's $500K Bribe Was To Expose Him by Beync(f): 8:26pm On Jun 12, 2012
After loosing interest on Nollywood for long time, now I can actually watch interesting drama again. We are so endowed with Actors, Lawal na wah.
Re: Farouk Lawan: Femi Otedola's $500K Bribe Was To Expose Him by Beync(f): 8:27pm On Jun 12, 2012
Re: Farouk Lawan: Femi Otedola's $500K Bribe Was To Expose Him by Beync(f): 8:28pm On Jun 12, 2012
Re: Farouk Lawan: Femi Otedola's $500K Bribe Was To Expose Him by brabus(m): 8:33pm On Jun 12, 2012
The case is pretty straight. [size=15]Midget-sized legislator Farouk[/size] is trying to cover his tracks but its obvious he's not good at the game. Maybe he's a first-timer.

One thing everybody gloss over is this:

1. If IGP was truly aware, did he instruct FL to go ahead and run the show by himself?

2. Based on FL's assertions, Otedola initiated the conversation and made the offer. But why aren't there better evidences to nail Otedola. As far as I'm concerned, FL has nothing to hold against Otedola. Absolutely nothing!

3. FL admit collecting $620k in 3 installments and some gullible people are still looking for video evidences. Why didn't he break the silence when he received the first payment? Why didn't he ask for backup when he's going for the 2nd installment? GREED

Otedola is so rich that he can afford to pay him off at once. It was actually a bait to hook the greedy fella.

Aboki Farouk, you fall my hand o.
Re: Farouk Lawan: Femi Otedola's $500K Bribe Was To Expose Him by chagga(m): 8:37pm On Jun 12, 2012
$3m BRIBERY SCANDAL: House weighs sanctions for Farouk

Tweet

June 12, 2012 | 12:15 am

Headlines

By Emmanuel Aziken, Political Editor, Okey Ndiribe &  Emman Ovuakporie
LAGOS — The leadership of the House of Representatives was last night considering two options in the wake of the bribery scandal that has engulfed its investigation into the utilisation of subsidy in the prices of petrol.

The House options, Vanguard learnt, were upon pressures from members of the House  who were peeved over what they saw as a stain in the image that the Aminu Tambuwal House had sought to uphold.

At the centre of the emerging scandal is the chairman of the House ad-hoc committee on the Utilisation of fuel subsidies, Lawan Farouk. He was, yesterday, formally accused by diesel merchant, Mr. Femi Otedola of demanding $3 million bribe to supposedly clear him, Otedola and his companies from culpability in the committee’s report.

Lawan Farouk and Femi Otedola

In an interview published by a national newspaper, yesterday, Otedola stated that Lawan and an official of the committee collected the sum of $620,000 in part payment of the alleged bribe in marked money supposedly provided by security agencies.  Lawan, had prior to yesterday’s disclosure denied culpability, alleging the determination of those indicted by his committee’s report to fight back dirty.

Lawan could not be reached yesterday for further reactions following the formal accusations by Otedola.

Though the House is currently on break, an unusual tension was evident in the offices of the House of Representatives yesterday with angry members expressing regret over the latest development. The clerk of the committee cited by Mr. Otedola who allegedly collected part of the bribe money alongside Lawan,  Boniface Emenalo was out of his office throughout yesterday. His secretary repeatedly stated that Emenalo was not in the office during repeated visits by newsmen to the office.

The options before the House

Vanguard learnt last night that upon the pressures from House members, the House leadership was now leaning towards two options. The first is to dump Lawan from his position as chairman of the ad-hoc committee. Under the option which is seriously favoured by a majority of those in the hierarchy of the House, Lawan would also be stopped from presiding during the appearance of the 17 companies who were re-invited by the Lawan committee following their complaints that they were indicted by Lawan’s committee without hearing from them.

Under the second option Lawan would be left to continue in his duties while the House would give full liberty to security agencies to investigate the matter. That option which was initially favoured when the scandal broke is increasingly being discountenanced upon pressures from House members.

Meanwhile it was learnt yesterday that the House on resumption next Tuesday would take a resolution on the issue based on the option it finally adopts.

Irrespective of the resolution, the hierarchy of the House is determined to push the executive arm of government to implement the recommendations of the report earlier submitted by the Lawan committee.

House members were further angered by what they claimed as the initial arrogance of the alleged chief culprit once he was called upon by Speaker Tambuwal to defend himself when the scandal first broke.

Lawan walks out on Speaker Tambuwal

When he was confronted with the allegation last week on the circumstances under which he allegedly collected the money, he angrily denied and walked out on the speaker and the principal officers present at the meeting.
Re: Farouk Lawan: Femi Otedola's $500K Bribe Was To Expose Him by mkoabiola: 8:58pm On Jun 12, 2012
Dis is drama or movie of d year.ds 1 pass prison break.infact u don't av to go silver bird galleria or ozone cinema to watch d movie .jus stay tune to NL.
This is season film.watch out 4 season 2
No one is saint.evrybody na barawo,na only person dat way de catch na hm b thief.lol
Re: Farouk Lawan: Femi Otedola's $500K Bribe Was To Expose Him by fridayiwere: 9:02pm On Jun 12, 2012
na today abeg
Re: Farouk Lawan: Femi Otedola's $500K Bribe Was To Expose Him by Hearme(m): 9:16pm On Jun 12, 2012
NIJA. PREVIOUS HEADLINES WERE BOKO, 900 NAIRA MIN WAGE INCREMENT, LAGOS DOCTORS, KIDNAPPERS, MAULAG AND DANA? NOW IT IS FAROK. OTEDOLA SUBSIDY BRIBE SCANDAL. BY JUNE ENDING THE STORY WOULD HAVE DIED WITH ANOTHER DISTRACTION. WHICH WAY FORWARD?
Re: Farouk Lawan: Femi Otedola's $500K Bribe Was To Expose Him by Oshiite: 10:09pm On Jun 12, 2012
I just feel like crying,farouk don fall my hand big time, the least he could do is just to shut up and stop prattling and make more caricature of himself
Re: Farouk Lawan: Femi Otedola's $500K Bribe Was To Expose Him by mbhs139(m): 10:27pm On Jun 12, 2012

Me, I be self-made academic thief.

O ya, make everybody dey confess the kind thief wey dem be Confess now before it is too late ... Jesus is coming
Re: Farouk Lawan: Femi Otedola's $500K Bribe Was To Expose Him by greatlee(m): 10:28pm On Jun 12, 2012
I thought this Mr. Faruk said initially that he did not collect any bribe. How come ha ve changed his words now to ' i collected the bribe to expose him' . Well, this is the time for otedola to show us to vidoe or ......

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

PIC Of The Day: Fuel Scarcity And Easter (jesus Resurrection) / Rukkayya, Wife Of Abdulmumini Dame Thrown Out Of His House After His Death (Pics / Primaries: 300 People Claim They Voted For Me After I Got 2 Votes - Shehu Sani

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.