Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,324 members, 7,811,955 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:37 AM

Enugu, The Pride Of The East. - Politics (371) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Enugu, The Pride Of The East. (1780475 Views)

Nigerian Armed Forces, Pride Of West Africa. / Babangida’s Letter To Bola TINUBU, Does The Letter Expose The Pride Of IBB? / The First Mayor Of Enugu, The Most Politically Important Igbo City, Was A Fulani (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (368) (369) (370) (371) (372) (373) (374) ... (697) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 8:14am On May 11, 2015
You will not notice about unemployment in Abia upon all the Mismanagement,reason why is that Abia people are creative and progressive in their approach to business unlike the laid back attitude of ndi Enugu. (Always comfortable) If we can change that,Wawa land will be the best in Eastcoast.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by warripekin(m): 9:04am On May 11, 2015
CaptainOjemba:
You will not notice about unemployment in Abia upon all the Mismanagement,reason why is that Abia people are creative and progressive in their approach to business unlike the laid back attitude of ndi Enugu. (Always comfortable) If we can change that,Wawa land will be the best in Eastcoast.
. U are so out of other castigating Enugu state and even comparing them with ur Aba. Abia state has experienced and still experiencing the worst form of leadership in the whole of south south and south east put together in the last 16 years and counting. I have been to Aba with the possibility of establishing a business there and I was never impressed with what I found on the ground even when geometrics was promising an independent power supply. I have been in Enugu severally as well and I was deeply impressed by the extent of development in the state. I am already working on a project in the state and the people are so friendly on like what u find in delta state where youths and community touts will make ur investment hell if u don't settle them on a continual basis. The peace and the ambience of the environment is a major attraction for me. And who says the state is not attracting investors. The bludgeoning real estate in the city who are the people behind them. Again the hospitality industry needs a rejig and I believe Enugu deserves another world class 5 star hotel.

3 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 9:25am On May 11, 2015
http://ifeanyiugwuanyi.org/about-us/

We can visit this site to download the 4- point agenda of the next administration, with the attendant goals and objectives under each point.
With this, we can know what to expect and what not to, and we can as well be objective in according praises to a governor on one hand and criticisms on the other.
I really wish the government will reduce the school fees in esut and IMT, esut main school fees, other fees and sundries are just too outrageous .
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 9:26am On May 11, 2015
You seem not to understand me, I am from Enugu but Abia is ahead of Enugu when it comes to investment, Enugu maybe more conducisive due to the civil nature of Enugu indigene but when it comes to cash flowing Abia takes it inspite of all the mismnagement by thief orji, Abia doesn't need to run after investors cos the market is there,In eduction abia is ahead, real estate don't rule abia out though not from the govt but individuals. With little push in education we canbe better than abia cum anambra but the govt of day abandoned education for road construction.
warripekin:
. U are so out of other castigating Enugu state and even comparing them with ur Aba. Abia state has experienced and still experiencing the worst form of leadership in the whole of south south and south east put together in the last 16 years and counting. I have been to Aba with the possibility of establishing a business there and I was never impressed with what I found on the ground even when geometrics was promising an independent power supply. I have been in Enugu severally as well and I was deeply impressed by the extent of development in the state. I am already working on a project in the state and the people are so friendly on like what u find in delta state where youths and community touts will make ur investment hell if u don't settle them on a continual basis. The peace and the ambience of the environment is a major attraction for me. And who says the state is not attracting investors. The bludgeoning real estate in the city who are the people behind them. Again the hospitality industry needs a rejig and I believe Enugu deserves another world class 5 star hotel.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by PROUDIGBO(m): 10:23am On May 11, 2015
CaptainOjemba:
Chime is failed in bringing investors to Enugu. Just one year Obiano spent, he has attracted over1.5billon usd while chime that spent 8 years cant boast of attracting 400million usd. Until we continue to elect politicians instead of technocrats in Enugu,we shall continue tocry about unemployment.

^^^You people that compare Enugu with Anambra make me laugh!

Enugu doesn't have the ready-made investment climate and opportunities Anambra has; neither does it have the high-networth investors and entrepreneurs that Anambra has! Most of the recent investments Anambra attracted under Obiano are from wealthy Anambra sons and daughters...this is an advantage it has over Enugu!

10 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 11:14am On May 11, 2015
So what stops Chime from getting foreign investors?
PROUDIGBO:

Enugu doesn't have the ready-made investment climate and opportunities Anambra has; neither does it have the high-networth investors and entrepreneurs that Anambra has! Most of the recent investments Anambra attracted under Obiano are from wealthy Anambra sons and daughters...this is an advantage it has over Enugu!

3 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 11:29am On May 11, 2015
PROUDIGBO:

Enugu is cool but like u said, the commercial and industrial aspect is absent. Enugu also need to work towards getting more cooperate bodies in a marked and well organized business district. This will raise the standard of the city.

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 11:42am On May 11, 2015
customized13:
Enugu is cool but like u said, the commercial and industrial aspect is absent. Enugu also need to work towards getting more cooperate bodies in a marked and well organized business district. This will raise the standard of the city.

Maybe you are forgetting that Ninth mile is in Enugu state, with NBL, COCA COLA, 7up, Aqua Rapha etc all in the same location, we have an industrial layout, we only need to attract more industries.

Pictures of Ninth mile corner below. ...

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 11:56am On May 11, 2015
spyder880:

Maybe you are forgetting that Ninth mile is in Enugu state, with NBL, COCA COLA, 7up, Aqua Rapha etc all in the same location, we have an industrial layout, we only need to attract more industries.

Enugu commerce and industry are actually on the increase .
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 12:27pm On May 11, 2015
spyder880:

I so much like Enugu, I am just trying to make a candid contribution to the development of Enugu as a city. More corporate bodies and an organized business district will go a long way in bringing out Enugu. I am sure u agree with me?

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Abagworo(m): 12:40pm On May 11, 2015
customized13:
I so much like Enugu, I am just trying to make a candid contribution to the development of Enugu as a city. More corporate bodies and an organized business district will go a long way in bringing out Enugu. I am sure u agree with me?

The next Governor should look at the comparative advantage Enugu enjoys as a result of its key position as gateway between South and North. Organised large yam market will work miracles. Abia stole the cattle market from Enugu and Imo as a result of Orji Kalu's business experience. Abia today has the largest cattle market in the entire Eastern region while Enugu is better positioned.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 1:00pm On May 11, 2015
Abagworo:

The next Governor should look at the comparative advantage Enugu enjoys as a result of its key position as gateway between South and North. Organised large yam market will work miracles. Abia stole the cattle market from Enugu and Imo as a result of Orji Kalu's business experience. Abia today has the largest cattle market in the entire Eastern region while Enugu is better positioned.

The governor comes from that gateway area so he should know how to position the yam and other agricultural products market from the north. The cattle market? Cant we continue with our lead in the poultry sector of the agric industry? Ngwo has so many poultry farmers who are making it big, Ayalogu and others has a combined workforce of over 2000.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Abagworo(m): 1:22pm On May 11, 2015
spyder880:

The governor comes from that gateway area so he should know how to position the yam and other agricultural products market from the north. The cattle market? Cant we continue with our lead in the poultry sector of the agric industry? Ngwo has so many poultry farmers who are making it big, Ayalogu and others has a combined workforce of over 2000.

Never knew much about poultry but yam is a billion Dollar business. If I wasnt quite well engaged in something lucrative, time consuming and futuristic, I would have invested in Yam.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by ChimaAdeoye: 3:49pm On May 11, 2015
The notobs guy-man that has been trying to derail the thread by asking redundant questions about what Chime completed should desist. I guess the Zik ave. and the twin bridges, Agbani road dualized, Airport road dualized,our secretariat, resurfacing of all city roads etc etc were all there in 2007. Chime was instrumental in bringing a massive mall to Enugu as the second site in Nigeria after Lagos!!! Most SE &SS governors in 2008 simply did not know there was such a thing in the country. ONLY Akpabio and Kwankwaso comes close to Chime in the transformation he spearheaded. Of course Kano and Akwa Ibom had excess funds to do it, which Enugu did not.
Luckily this thread captures a few of those projects, thus you should search them for yourself if you are truly serious to learn.

Chime should have completed the International conference center and the hotel attached to it. This could have brought more conference tourism into the state. I also think that Chime has not properly leveraged on AIIA, Enugu to bring more tourists into the state by supporting cultural festivals, parades and developing tourist sites. I hope the incoming government will take tourism seriously and try to market Enugu as a holiday destination to Newly married Nigerian couples as well as international tourists.
Also, the Enugu Free Trade Industrial zone was not given the needed government impetus to take off.

DEFINITELY, the development of world class housing estates around the city is a welcome thing. Also, the re-planning of the city to make all parts totally accessible with good roads is a great idea. Enugu today is undoubtedly one of the few Nigerian cities that can be said to be decent up to international standard. Many Nigerian state governors have NO CLUE how to build decent cities. They allow unplanned shoddy houses to spring up everywhere and call it "development".That Enugu has managed to compete in decency with Abuja,Kano or Lagos in spite of having one of the tiniest state budgets in Nigeria is a great testimony to Chime's visionary and sterling leadership.

6 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Afam4eva(m): 4:35pm On May 11, 2015
I think it's high time we stopped attacking people who highlight some of the defects of Enugu. Enugu is one of the most liveable cities in Nigeria and Africa, no doubt. It is one city that has been consistent in growing, though slowly, but surely. But i think it's high time, we made this city more than just a civil service center. Contrary to what a lot of people like to say, i think Enugu needs to become a commercial center. By commerce, not exactly in the mold of Onitsha or Aba. We need to make Enugu a hub for Banks, IT firms and Manufacturers. There's no reason why some banks cannot be headquatered in Enugu. There's no reason why Enugu cannot be the IT hub of NIgeria. We have have our own sillicon valley in Enugu. It's possible owing to the fact that these kinds of sectors need a peaceful and workable cities to function. As much as i am pro-Igbo, i don't seem why Enugu cannot attract the likes of Innoson, Coscharis and other local and international car manufacturers and dealers. We can also take a bit of fashion from Aba and setup a mini Fashion capital in Aba. We can also attract the phamaceutical giants who have their origin in Orlu to Enugu. Another area that the Enugu state government should look into is in the tourism sector. There are very few states in Nigeria that have a more blessed and majestic natural beauty like Enugu. We can have an Obudu sort of thing in Enugu. We need 5 star hotels. We can also create one of the largest parks in Africa.

All these can be achieved if the enabling environment is activated. Power and access(Roads and Airport) are very vital in this regard. I want to see Enugu bubble while still retaining it's tranquility.

5 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by notobs: 5:40pm On May 11, 2015
ChimaAdeoye:
The notobs guy-man that has been trying to derail the thread by asking redundant questions about what Chime completed should desist. I guess the Zik ave. and the twin bridges, Agbani road dualized, Airport road dualized,our secretariat, resurfacing of all city roads etc etc were all there in 2007. Chime was instrumental in bringing a massive mall to Enugu as the second site in Nigeria after Lagos!!! Most SE &SS governors in 2008 simply did not know there was such a thing in the country. ONLY Akpabio and Kwankwaso comes close to Chime in the transformation he spearheaded. Of course Kano and Akwa Ibom had excess funds to do it, which Enugu did not.
Luckily this thread captures a few of those projects, thus you should search them for yourself if you are truly serious to learn.

Chime should have completed the International conference center and the hotel attached to it. This could have brought more conference tourism into the state. I also think that Chime has not properly leveraged on AIIA, Enugu to bring more tourists into the state by supporting cultural festivals, parades and developing tourist sites. I hope the incoming government will take tourism seriously and try to market Enugu as a holiday destination to Newly married Nigerian couples as well as international tourists.
Also, the Enugu Free Trade Industrial zone was not given the needed government impetus to take off.

DEFINITELY, the development of world class housing estates around the city is a welcome thing. Also, the re-planning of the city to make all parts totally accessible with good roads is a great idea. Enugu today is undoubtedly one of the few Nigerian cities that can be said to be decent up to international standard. Many Nigerian state governors have NO CLUE how to build decent cities. They allow unplanned shoddy houses to spring up everywhere and call it "development".That Enugu has managed to compete in decency with Abuja,Kano or Lagos in spite of having one of the tiniest state budgets in Nigeria is a great testimony to Chime's visionary and sterling leadership.

I think you are burying your head in the sand and refusing to acknowledge the truth about the ineffectiveness of chime administration. But your denials does not change the fact about chime's wasted years in Enugu Government.

My Argument with spyder was over an article i posted , which was published in the guardian that summarized the 8yrs of Gov. Chime's administration, the few gains he made and the abundant ills he brought to enugu (i would advise you to read the article first).
I knowing Enugu well thought that it was a very balanced article that captured Enugu state under chime in an unbiased manner.
The Argument was that Chime has not completed any Major project in Enugu in his Eight Years as Governor, and Uptill now no one has refuted that assertion including you.

My point is not to pull Enugu down,As some of you folks on these thread who seem to categorize anyone that is objective about chime or has a contrary view to your praise singing.Chime administration is a "spilled milk and there is no point crying over it".

My motive is that the Next government that comes after chime should do more than chime, I do know that people in power in enugu have been listening to views expressed on this thread, that's why i implore you guys that comment here to be objective, so we can better the lots of enugu by being objective.Least the next government will think that if he can deliver mediocre administration like chime did for 8yrs, fleece the state of its limited resources to advance his pocket that it would be Okay for Enugu, and that some of you will clap for him.
Now is the time for some of you that love enugu to begin to call for the changes that you want to see in enugu, so the next administration can get a clue, making excuse for chimes failures might just replicate the same failure from his successor.

5 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 6:05pm On May 11, 2015
notobs:

I think you are burying your head in the sand and refusing to acknowledge the truth about the ineffectiveness of chime administration. But your denials does not change the fact about chime's wasted years in Enugu Government.

My Argument with spyder was over an article i posted , which was published in the guardian that summarized the 8yrs of Gov. Chime's administration, the few gains he made and the abundant ills he brought to enugu (i would advise you to read the article first).
I knowing Enugu well thought that it was a very balanced article that captured Enugu state under chime in an unbiased manner.
The Argument was that Chime has not completed any Major project in Enugu in his Eight Years as Governor, and Uptill now no one has refuted that assertion including you.

My point is not to pull Enugu down,As some of you folks on these thread who seem to categorize anyone that is objective about chime or has a contrary view to your praise singing.Chime administration is a "spilled milk and there is no point crying over it".

My motive is that the Next government that comes after chime should do more than chime, I do know that people in power in enugu have been listening to views expressed on this thread, that's why i implore you guys that comment here to be objective, so we can better the lots of enugu by being objective.Least the next government will think that if he can deliver mediocre administration like chime did for 8yrs, fleece the state of its limited resources to advance his pocket that it would be Okay for Enugu, and that some of you will clap for him.
Now is the time for some of you that love enugu to begin to call for the changes that you want to see in enugu, so the next administration can get a clue, making excuse for chimes failures might just replicate the same failure from his successor.

In a nutshell, where will the new administration get the funding to perform this magic you advocate? Please suggest for all to learn. I hate thinking backwards, I always think ahead.

For once, stop attacking people and make useful suggestions, let's take it you are the new governor, what will you do differently?

You have the floor, we are listening.

5 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 6:09pm On May 11, 2015
Abagworo:

Never knew much about poultry but yam is a billion Dollar business. If I wasnt quite well engaged in something lucrative, time consuming and futuristic, I would have invested in Yam.

I know a lot about poultry, and know friends in Ngwo who export poultry products beyond the boundaries of Enugu state, Anambra, Delta, Benue and Abia buy packed chicken parts and eggs from some Enugu based companies. Ayalogu and Ozokwor farms are large businesses.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by asha80(m): 6:18pm On May 11, 2015
spyder880:

I know a lot about poultry, and know friends in Ngwo who export poultry products beyond the boundaries of Enugu state, Anambra, Delta, Benue and Abia buy packed chicken parts and eggs from some Enugu based companies. Ayalogu and Ozokwor farms are large businesses.
I wonder why one hardly hears of such poultry farms
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by notobs: 6:21pm On May 11, 2015
spyder880:

In a nutshell, where will the new administration get the funding to perform this magic you advocate? Please suggest for all to learn. I hate thinking backwards, I always think ahead.

For once, stop attacking people and make useful suggestions, let's take it you are the new governor, what will you do differently?

For a start; complete all abandoned project especially the ones that have passes 50% completion stage, seeing that government has already spent huge resources on the said project.

Improve IGR.

Implement the national minimum wage

prioritize rural development

improve state schools and health facilities.

Tackle corruption and impunity by state government officials

Just a few of the things that chime failed to do. Now over to you what are the changes you want to see?

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 6:24pm On May 11, 2015
asha80:

They are large and online, try this link http://enuguchamber.org/index.php/members-area/101-phinomar
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Abagworo(m): 6:25pm On May 11, 2015
spyder880:

I have read the article and I think Chime's major failure is lack of continuity. I believe he did it to spite Nnamani against the larger interest of the State. You know I am a diehard Okorocha man but his failure remains deliberate replication and abandonement of projects just to spite Ohakim. I saw picture of the conference centre started by Chimaraoke and still wonder why Chime left it to rot. Imagine Ugwuanyi abandoning the new secretariat to rot.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 6:25pm On May 11, 2015
Double post.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 6:25pm On May 11, 2015
notobs:

For a start; complete all abandoned project especially the ones that have passes 50% completion stage, seeing that government has already spent huge resources on the said project.

Improve IGR.

Implement the national minimum wage

prioritize rural development

improve state schools and health facilities.

Tackle corruption and impunity by state government officials

Just a few of the things that chime failed to do. Now over to you what are the changes you want to see?

How best will you improve the IGR Sir?

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 6:30pm On May 11, 2015
Abagworo:

I have read the article and I think Chime's major failure is lack of continuity. I believe he did it to spite Nnamani against the larger interest of the State. You know I am a diehard Okorocha man but his failure remains deliberate replication and abandonement of projects just to spite Ohakim. I saw picture of the conference centre started by Chimaraoke and still wonder why Chime left it to rot. Imagine Ugwuanyi abandoning the new secretariat to rot.

Chime did not abandon all Chimaroke projects, only the conference centre.
Chime built many structures in the state university at Agbani which Chimaroke started
Chime did the roads in Golf estates and Fidelity estates near Ebeano tunnel entrance
Chime even worked a little on the Ozalla-Agbani road, stopping at Agbani.

If Chime has Rochas size allocation, he would have done more.

3 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by ChimaAdeoye: 6:31pm On May 11, 2015
spyder880:

Oga Spyder,
You know he won't answer that question about what he would do with N90 billion naira budget if he were the governor. Typically, he would answer that he would build skyscrapers in ogui, build international airport the size of JFK New York, and build hospitals the size of Gwagwalada hospital in every village. grin

The truth is that we all want Enugu to resemble Atlanta or Houston, but WHERE IS THE MONEY?? That is simply why Chime has impressed many realists in this forum that understand the handicap of funding to development. Chime's achievements should be compared to Ekiti,Ebonyi or Nassarawa that have similar annual budgets and not to Lagos Akwa Ibom or Kano with budgets 5 times bigger than Enugu. I only give Chime knocks when he misses out on the opportunity to expand the states internal revenue base by not vigorously pursuing tourism and Agro-industrial development
Day dreamers will often-always wonder why we have not become like Switzerland or Japan on the budget of $500 million dollars for a state with a population of 4 million.

5 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 6:34pm On May 11, 2015
ChimaAdeoye:

Oga Spyder,
You know he won't answer that question about what he would do with N90 billion naira budget if he were the governor. Typically, he would answer that he would build skyscrapers in ogui, build international airport the size of JFK New York, and build hospitals the size of Gwagwalada hospital in every village. grin

The truth is that we all want Enugu to resemble Atlanta or Houston, but WHERE IS THE MONEY?? That is simply why Chime has impressed many realists in this forum that understand the handicap of funding to development. Chime's achievements should be compared to Ekiti,Ebonyi or Nassarawa that have similar annual budgets and not to Lagos Akwa Ibom or Kano with budgets 5 times bigger than Enugu. I only give Chime knocks when he misses out on the opportunity to expand the states internal revenue base by not vigorously pursuing tourism and Agro-industrial development
Day dreamers will often-always wonder why we have not become like Switzerland or Japan on the budget of $500 million dollars for a state with a population of 4 million.

And a landmass larger than many south east states who get nearly twice our allocation!

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 6:35pm On May 11, 2015
People make me laugh when they come up with all these suggestions for development when the fundamentals are not yet fully in place. One guy had the nerve to say that Chime was concentrating too much on roads! I mean, what is wrong with you people? Do you know that in this day and age no city or town worth its salt anywhere in the world has a SINGLE road that is untarred or without a covered sidewalk? You people talk of developing tourism etc... I mean, is there a shortage of destinations on this earth that somebody will leave where he is to start 'touring' a city where roads are untarred and unpaved with open gutters? Where he exits his hotel for a walk and is confronted with sand and gutters? Honestly some of you need to travel to countries - not even in Europe or America. Visit the Carribean or Latin American destinations and see what I'm talking about. Fact is you MUST make your physical environment top notch and very clean FIRST, before considering anything else. You cannot have dusty untarred side streets. You must have tarred roads AND pedestrian sidewalks on EVERY street, not just major roads. Same as street lighting etc. You must hire people to sweep the roads daily to avoid any dust or dirt on the streets. These are the FIRST things to do even if it takes ten years. THEN you can start talking of things like tourist attractions, attracting international investors etc etc.

7 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by IGBOSON2: 6:36pm On May 11, 2015
asha80:

^^^One area our businesses need to step up on is advertising! We need to move away from that 'one man and his sons ltd' type of business that has been the norm since independence, and try be a bit more corporate in nature!

How many Igbo-owned businesses do you see having slick commercials on NTA Network News? Anyone seen a INNOSON commercial that captured your imagination lately?......Didn't think so!

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 6:42pm On May 11, 2015
ROSSIKE:
People make me laugh when they come up with all these suggestions for development when the fundamentals are not yet fully in place. One guy had the nerve to say that Chime was concentrating too much on roads! I mean, what is wrong with you people? Do you know that in this day and age no city or town worth its salt anywhere in the world has a SINGLE road that is untarred or without a covered sidewalk? You people talk if developing tourism etc... I mean, is there a shortage of destinations on this earth that somebody will leave where he is to start 'touring' a city where roads are untarred and unpaved with open gutters? Honestly some of you need to travel to countries - not even in Europe or America. Visit the Carribean or Latin American destinations and see what I'm talking about. Fact is you MUST make your physical environment top notch and very clean FIRST, before considering anything else. You cannot have dusty untarred side streets. You must have pedestrian sidewalks on EVERY street, not just major roads. Same as street lighting etc. You must hire people to sweep the roads daily to avoid any dust or dirt on the streets. These are the FIRST things to do even if it takes ten years. THEN you can start talking of things like tourist attractions, attracting international investors etc etc.

Tourism, tourism, you people should not annoy me o grin Or I will stay at Shoprite all of tomorrow and get you the pictures of who and who cross state boundaries to shop in the city mall with the best network of roads around it. I may collect pictures of government house plate numbers from Ebonyi, Anambra, Benue and Imo who just came to buy lunch for the number one citizen of their state grin

Which other tourism are you talking about when guys travel all the way from Delta to show their babes the London in Enugu? grin Na joke we dey o, before some guys will start taking it serious grin

3 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by notobs: 6:43pm On May 11, 2015
ROSSIKE:
People make me laugh when they come up with all these suggestions for development when the fundamentals are not yet fully in place. One guy had the nerve to say that Chime was concentrating too much on roads! I mean, what is wrong with you people? Do you know that in this day and age no city or town worth its salt anywhere in the world has a SINGLE road that is untarred or without a covered sidewalk? You people talk of developing tourism etc... I mean, is there a shortage of destinations on this earth that somebody will leave where he is to start 'touring' a city where roads are untarred and unpaved with open gutters? Where he exits his hotel for a walk and is confronted with sand and gutters? Honestly some of you need to travel to countries - not even in Europe or America. Visit the Carribean or Latin American destinations and see what I'm talking about. Fact is you MUST make your physical environment top notch and very clean FIRST, before considering anything else. You cannot have dusty untarred side streets. You must have pedestrian sidewalks on EVERY street, not just major roads. Same as street lighting etc. You must hire people to sweep the roads daily to avoid any dust or dirt on the streets. These are the FIRST things to do even if it takes ten years. THEN you can start talking of things like tourist attractions, attracting international investors etc etc.

Those countries did not build all those roads in 8 or 10 yrs! it took time sometimes centuries to get to where they are, for now we are talking about what a state can achieve within it administrative life cycle of 4 or 8 yrs.
Concentrating on roads alone is not enough. and by the way tourism does not need to be like vegas type of europe or caribbean type tourism, It must start from attracting Nigerian tourist who don't have the european taste or expectations.
The Calabar carnival and argungu fishing festivals are examples of successful Nigerian tourism events that brings a lot of people to town for the events and generate money for the cities and private business, hotels etc.
Don't tell me that all the roads in calabar and argungu are tarred!

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 6:47pm On May 11, 2015
notobs:

Those countries did not build all those roads in 8 or 10 yrs! it took time sometimes centuries to get to where they are, for now we are talking about what a state can achieve within it administrative life cycle of 4 or 8 yrs.
Concentrating on roads alone is not enough.

Good point, but the IGR question is still waiting for your attention Sir.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (368) (369) (370) (371) (372) (373) (374) ... (697) (Reply)

Update on developments in Anambra state-photos / Few Pics From Imo State / Abubakar Shekau, Boko Haram Leader Speaks To BBC Hausa, Enjoys Killing People.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 129
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.