Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,521 members, 7,819,876 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:42 AM

Enugu, The Pride Of The East. - Politics (532) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Enugu, The Pride Of The East. (1785102 Views)

Nigerian Armed Forces, Pride Of West Africa. / Babangida’s Letter To Bola TINUBU, Does The Letter Expose The Pride Of IBB? / The First Mayor Of Enugu, The Most Politically Important Igbo City, Was A Fulani (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (529) (530) (531) (532) (533) (534) (535) ... (697) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Afam4eva(m): 7:22pm On Mar 24, 2018
ChimaAdeoye:

What you have said will make more sense if Nigeria were restructured. Under the present arrangement, Enugu will NEVER get any so called recognition. It is up to you and I to invest in Enugu and use facilities in the place. Nigeria is a toxic and incurably tribalistic geographic expression. You could never seriously expect such an entity to do anything positive to get Enugu the recognition it deserves on any level whatsoever. That is why those Igbos killing themselves to invest in Funtua, kano or Daura while they have no hut in their villages and continue to neglect their own state capitals or towns closer to their villages, should enjoy whatever comes to them eventually due to their folly.

I also don't think that for Enugu to reach it's potential, it involves displacement of anyone (Lagos, Abuja, Port Harcourt, Calabar or Onitsha). It is part of primitive Nigerian mentality to think about struggling for a smaller cake instead of baking a bigger cake so everyone will grow and be happy. If economy of Nigeria grows through activities in Enugu or Kano or Jos, it does not mean that Lagos or Calabar or Abuja will be less for it.
Now we're talking. As much as i think that Nigeria has stunted our progress as a people, i still think we hold our destiny in our hands. Uyo or Calabar may not be anywhere close to Lagos or Abuja but they have carved a niche for themselves. How about we start from there. How about we have governors who would maybe build something in the mold of Tinapa, Obudu or Ibom tropicana. That's what i meant when i said that there's nothing we have that others don't. We even get to the ridiculous level where we celebrate shoprite in Enugu.

If it's tourism, we want to focus on, let;s build the biggest theme park in Nigeria. If it's sports, let's beat the Uyo International stadium by building something better. How about we build big film studios like Donal Duke did in Tinapa. How about we start a carnival and publicize it like the Calabar festival. How about we build a model university that will compete with the best in Africa. Let's just do something, anything.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by SoNature(m): 7:26pm On Mar 24, 2018
Dremca:
We all talk about allocation from federal government, what about internally generated revenue. How is it being utilized. A state like Lagos can do without allocation same with Anambra state.

Lagos? Yes, it's Nigeria's commercial capital.

Anambra? Hmmm. I don't know about that because they almost always don't release their IGR whenever National Bureau of Statistics publishes annual states' IGRs.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Afam4eva(m): 7:26pm On Mar 24, 2018
SoNature:

At the emboldened, nwanne don't go there! grin

Go and check the federal allocation going to Akwa Ibom...highest in Nigeria for years now.

Calabar was bubbling when twas an active Niger Delta member state, but now their oil wells have been ceded to Akwa Ibom, making them super broke.

ChimaAdeoye raised a good point, but one thing we must always keep in mind is that development is a process.

And I know you people may not like the part, but I have to mention it. If we continue to agitate for Biafra the way we are going about it, non-Igbos will never bring their business to the east because the most important thing a rational man thinks before money is his security.

Just like the Igbos have their investments all over Nigeri, we need others to bring their investments here because no man is an island.

With the current Nigeria's arrangement, we can't do it alone.

I understand what those states get compared to us. Does that mean we should remain stagnant? If we can't focus on multiple things, how about we focus on just tourism in order to put Enugu on the map.

Yes, development is a process and that is why Enugu hasn't made any gargantuan chnages since the past decade. Yes, more roads have been built with more street lights but that is insignificant if those roads and street lights cannot put us on the map. Enugu is not the only city with street lights and shoprite. We need to think outside the box. We need to think like Dubai.

3 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by ChimaAdeoye: 7:26pm On Mar 24, 2018
I agree those with the funds should start building medium high rise structures instead of always build bungalows.

All those bungalows along Ogui road and Okpara avenue need to be sold to entrepreneurs who will replace them with medium high rise as in the picture. They can just limit it to a maximum of 4-6 floors to make available parking space enough.

....and they don't need to make these buildings just for offices. They can make spaces for supermarkets, banks, small shops / furniture shops and other private companies that may want to hire. Even some people can hire some floors as their hotel or some high end restaurants. The buildings must not all be for offices.

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Cooly100: 7:36pm On Mar 24, 2018
ChimaAdeoye:
I agree those with the funds should start building medium high rise structures instead of always build bungalows.

All those bungalows along Ogui road and Okpara avenue need to be sold to entrepreneurs who will replace them with medium high rise as in the picture. They can just limit it to a maximum of 4-6 floors to make available parking space enough.

....and they don't need to make these buildings just for offices. They can make spaces for supermarkets, banks, small shops / furniture shops and other private companies that may want to hire. Even some people can hire some floors as their hotel or some high end restaurants. The buildings must not all be for offices.

Aside Sullivan all Enugu state governors are just able to pay salaries. Dubai was nothing before but it took an aggressive emir to turn it into one of the best destinations on earth.

All it takes is to employ some experts to develop a deliberate infrastructure master plan in the city. I know they have low IGR...but they can get loans. Dubai has huge debts too.

We need people with excellent ideas and not people who are just able to pay salaries..even my grand mother can that.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Dremca(m): 7:36pm On Mar 24, 2018
SoNature:

Lagos? Yes, it's Nigeria's commercial capital.

Anambra? Hmmm. I don't know about that because they almost always don't release their IGR whenever National Bureau of Statistics publishes annual states' IGRs.
The state generate tax from indutries operating in the state, the state generate revenue from Anambra Red buses, they generate revenue from several business premises, including their stake in public private partnership operating in the state et al.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by SoNature(m): 7:47pm On Mar 24, 2018
Dremca:
The state generate tax from indutries operating in the state, the state generate revenue from Anambra Red buses, they generate revenue from several business premises, including their stake in public private partnership operating in the state et al.

My bro, we don pass this level na.

We shouldn't be working basing our analysis on assumptions.

Every state ought to have a data center where anyone can goto and have reliable records about the state.

The implication of not having official records is that CNN, or any foreign organization for that matter, can just assume anything about you even without visiting your state, and you can't defend yourself.

But when you do, they will always quote official records because you can't know my town from overseas more than me.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Dremca(m): 7:51pm On Mar 24, 2018
SoNature:

My bro, we don pass this level na.

We shouldn't be working basing our analysis on assumptions.

Every state ought to have a data center where anyone can goto and have reliable records about the state.

The implication of not having official records is that CNN, or any foreign organization for that matter, can just assume anything about you even without visiting your state, and you can't defend yourself.

But when you do, they will always quote official records because you can't know my town from overseas more than me.
Do you have faith in the one published by National Bureau of Statistics.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by SoNature(m): 7:55pm On Mar 24, 2018
Dremca:
Do you have faith in the one published by National Bureau of Statistics.

Good question! grin

To answer you: I don't have a choice but to believe it because those are official figures from various states in Nigeria.

NBS doesn't generate IGR figures from their office.

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by asha80(m): 8:26pm On Mar 24, 2018
Dremca:
We all talk about allocation from federal government, what about internally generated revenue. How is it being utilized. A state like Lagos can do without allocation same with Anambra state.
it this kind of discussion can we please stop calling lagos state?who doesnot know the history of Lagos?

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Dremca(m): 8:38pm On Mar 24, 2018
SoNature:

Good question! grin

To answer you: I don't have a choice but to believe it because those are official figures from various states in Nigeria.

NBS doesn't generate IGR figures from their office.
That is why the country need to be restructured so as for the state to make IGR figures official. Why would a state like Anambra tell you how much they earn from IGR when many northern states far less populated than many eastern states receives more allocation just because of creation of more local governments and their landmass.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Dremca(m): 8:40pm On Mar 24, 2018
asha80:
it this kind of discussion can we please stop calling lagos state?who doesnot know the history of Lagos?
What happened to Calabar, even Ogun state is more economical viable than Calabar. Was Ogun state a former capital?
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Afam4eva(m): 8:45pm On Mar 24, 2018
Dremca:
What happened to Calabar, even Ogun state is more economical viable than Calabar. Was Ogun state a former capital?
Sometimes, i wonder what goes through the minds of some of you when you comment. You mentioned Calabar. What IGR does Calabar have since you're talking about IGRs. Isn't Ogun state IGR becaus eof it's proximity to Lagos? If Enugu bordered Lagos, it would have been the same story.

3 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by SoNature(m): 8:54pm On Mar 24, 2018
Dremca:
That is why the country need to be restructured so as for the state to make
IGR figures official. Why would a state like Anambra tell you how much they earn from IGR when many northern states far less populated than many eastern states receives more allocation just because of creation of more local governments and their landmass.

I am afraid you haven't made any point.

Internally Generated Revenue is different from Federal Allocation

If you don't understand how a system works, kindly ask questions.

Good night.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Dremca(m): 9:06pm On Mar 24, 2018
SoNature:

I am afraid you haven't made any point.

Internally Generated Revenue is different from Federal Allocation

If you don't understand how a system works, kindly ask questions.

Good night.
I simply meant that some states has gone past the level of receiving allocation and needs to charge and develop its resources.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Dremca(m): 9:09pm On Mar 24, 2018
Afam4eva:

Sometimes, i wonder what goes through the minds of some of you when you comment. You mentioned Calabar. What IGR does Calabar have since you're talking about IGRs. Isn't Ogun state IGR becaus eof it's proximity to Lagos? If Enugu bordered Lagos, it would have been the same story.
Yes you're right. I believe Enugu as political might to achieve what Lagos achieved.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Anambra1stSon(m): 9:12pm On Mar 24, 2018
christejames:
The new Bon Sunshine Hotel, Enugu.

we need more of such higher and taller condominium/tenement leisure structures to change the skyline of the city. I envision a city where skyscrapers would be seen as bungalows; that is, having them dotting our skyline.

Coal City is Nigerian nay African City for the future!
Own by Emeka Nwandu from Enugu-Ukwu

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by asha80(m): 9:20pm On Mar 24, 2018
Dremca:
I simply meant that some states has gone past the level of receiving allocation and needs to charge and develop its resources.
when you talk about resources here I hope you do not include mineral resources?
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by NonsoWow: 9:51pm On Mar 24, 2018
post=66127245:

Own by Emeka Nwandu from Enugu-Ukwu
Without Anambra indigenes input, Enugwu state would have collapsed long ago. Asha80 was complaining about lack of businesses in Enugwu, what she failed to realize is that most Anambra indigenes are now re-directing their investments they would have situated in Enugwu and other Igbo states, back home to Anambra state in anticipation of our new Anambra International Airport that wawa people loathe so much. See the boom taking place in Awka, the enormous real estate developments in our capital is the biggest anywhere in the south east. Even Genesis cinemas is joining the craze by closing down their Enugwu operation and relocating to Awka with their new state-of-the-art cinemas opp Ekwueme square. In all these, Governor Willie Obiano's good governance is a crucial factor that has been spurring the Anambra boom.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Scholes007(m): 9:53pm On Mar 24, 2018
Afam4eva:

We need a national recognition before we start talking of international recognition. You need more than just few good roads, clean and green streets as well as few residential estates to be recognized. I just returned from Dubai last week and i saw what the whole noise about that city is all about. Even Lagos and Abuja cannot smell 5% of what Dubai has been able to achieve let alone cities like Enugu. Let's sthink of displacing Calabar and Port-hacourt first before we think national and international. The truth is that, it's mostly Igbo people who have good things to say about Enugu. You rarely hear a Non Igbo saying potiive things about Enugu because they either haven't been there or it's not really worth talking about. Atleast we hear Calabar and Uyo all over the place and we should ask ourselves, why Uyo? Why not Enugu?

It's very simple. Enugu has refused to revolutionize like Uyo or Calabar. Yes, we have one of the most livable cities in Nigeria, but what do we have that others don't? We need to start thinking really big.
Reading this alone, it is clear you haven't been to Uyo to warrant such comparison.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Afam4eva(m): 10:21pm On Mar 24, 2018
Scholes007:
Reading this alone, it is clear you haven't been to Uyo to warrant such comparison.
The reason i don't like posting here is because i know there are people like you who take people's comments out of context. When i mentioned Uyo, i was referring to the gargantuan projects embarked by Akpabio that changed Uyo forever and put it on a pedestal to be a city for the future. The massive road and bridge construction, the world class hospital, Ibom Tropicana and the Uyo International stadium are legacy projects that has put Uyo on the map.

6 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Dremca(m): 10:27pm On Mar 24, 2018
NonsoWow:
Without Anambra indigenes input, Enugwu state would have collapsed long ago. Asha80 was complaining about lack of businesses in Enugwu, what she failed to realize is that most Anambra indigenes are now re-directing their investments they would have situated in Enugwu and other Igbo states, back home to Anambra state in anticipation of our new Anambra International Airport that wawa people loathe so much. See the boom taking place in Awka, the enormous real estate developments in our capital is the biggest anywhere in the south east. Even Genesis cinemas is joining the craze by closing down their Enugwu operation and relocating to Awka with their new state-of-the-art cinemas opp Ekwueme square. In all these, Governor Willie Obiano's good governance is a crucial factor that has been spurring the Anambra boom.
Thank you my brother. Anambra is the new commercial hub. What we need is for Anambrarians in diaspora to come back home and invest and is already yielding enormous result. Security use to be the reason for not investing in the state, but now, Anambra is one of the safest state in the country.

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Dremca(m): 10:29pm On Mar 24, 2018
Scholes007:
AKS receives more in allocation. So what do you expect.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Scholes007(m): 10:32pm On Mar 24, 2018
Afam4eva:

The reason i don't like posting here is because i know there are people like you who take people's comments out of context. When i mentioned Uyo, i was referring to the gargantuan projects embarked by Akpabio that changed Uyo forever and put it on a pedestal to be a city for the future. The massive road and bridge construction, the world class hospital, Ibom Tropicana and the Uyo International stadium are legacy projects that has put Uyo on the map.
Pls mr I don't like... If that is what you call placing on world map,how about the estates, industries,private hotels, and other investments springing up in enugu? I never disprove neither am totally in support of your claims brother. Enugu to me is get national n international recognition, only that it is too slow.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 10:46pm On Mar 24, 2018
Afam4eva:

We need a national recognition before we start talking of international recognition. You need more than just few good roads, clean and green streets as well as few residential estates to be recognized. I just returned from Dubai last week and i saw what the whole noise about that city is all about. Even Lagos and Abuja cannot smell 5% of what Dubai has been able to achieve let alone cities like Enugu. Let's sthink of displacing Calabar and Port-hacourt first before we think national and international. The truth is that, it's mostly Igbo people who have good things to say about Enugu. You rarely hear a Non Igbo saying potiive things about Enugu because they either haven't been there or it's not really worth talking about. Atleast we hear Calabar and Uyo all over the place and we should ask ourselves, why Uyo? Why not Enugu?

It's very simple. Enugu has refused to revolutionize like Uyo or Calabar. Yes, we have one of the most livable cities in Nigeria, but what do we have that others don't? We need to start thinking really big.

So, what exactly is the difference between your comment and mine?
And I am yet to see a non Igbo who have come to Enugu and not amazed. And what's special about Calabar that Enugu doesn't have?
Enugu has far more industries than Calabar and it has long declined since Duke left. You can make more money in Enugu than calabar, whatever the endeavor. What's the purchasing power of calabar citizens including their people outside? Is not even comparable to that of Enugu as we speak.
Please, my comment was in order.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Afam4eva(m): 10:51pm On Mar 24, 2018
InyinyaAgbaOku:

So, what exactly is the difference between your comment and mine?
And I am yet to see a non Igbo who have come to Igbo and not amazed. And what's special about Calabar that Enugu doesn't have?
Enugu has far more industries than Calabar and it has long declined since Duke left. You can make more money in Enugu than calabar, whatever the endeavor. What's the purchasing power of calabar citizens including their people outside? Is not even comparable to that of Enugu as we speak.
Please, my comment was in order.
Can you make more money in Enugu than Ibadan, kaduna, Kano, Benin etc? Why do you people keep missing the mark and when did this argument have to do with where you can make more money. If it was more about money then why are we not discussing Onitsha and Aba where more money is made. We're talking of how to put Enugu on the map and you're talking about how more money is made in Enugu than Calabar. Like WTF?

Go to Lagos or Abuja and ask a random person where they will like to visit between Calabar and Enugu. Your guess is as good as mine. Calabar is a preferred destination because of the few things that Donald Duke put in place and not because more money can be made there than Enugu. people from all over the country instead of visiting their villages during Christmas, opt for Calabar to attend the festival there. I'm waiting for when the same can be said of Enugu. The earlier we started telling ourselves the truth, the better for us.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 10:51pm On Mar 24, 2018
Afam4eva:

Now we're talking. As much as i think that Nigeria has stunted our progress as a people, i still think we hold our destiny in our hands. Uyo or Calabar may not be anywhere close to Lagos or Abuja but they have carved a niche for themselves. How about we start from there. How about we have governors who would maybe build something in the mold of Tinapa, Obudu or Ibom tropicana. That's what i meant when i said that there's nothing we have that others don't. We even get to the ridiculous level where we celebrate shoprite in Enugu.

If it's tourism, we want to focus on, let;s build the biggest theme park in Nigeria. If it's sports, let's beat the Uyo International stadium by building something better. How about we build big film studios like Donal Duke did in Tinapa. How about we start a carnival and publicize it like the Calabar festival. How about we build a model university that will compete with the best in Africa. Let's just do something, anything.

You people should stop comparing uyo or calabar to enugu.
Enugu is far more advanced in sports than Uyo can ever be. Her stadium once hosted a world cup tournament, not saying the stadium can't be improved but u get my point.
Carnival and publicize it? Well you guys can but I am not a fan of that carnival of a thing - I had said prefer investments in exceptional healthcare, education and ICT, since the environment supports it

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Afam4eva(m): 10:53pm On Mar 24, 2018
InyinyaAgbaOku:

You people should stop comparing uyo or calabar to enugu.
Enugu is far more advanced in sports than Uyo can ever be. Her stadium once hosted a world cup tournament, not saying the stadium can't be improved but u get my point.
Carnival and publicize it? Well you guys can but I am not a fan of that carnival of a thing - I had said prefer investments in exceptional healthcare, education and ICT, since the environment supports it

No, i don't get your point. Is it only Enugu that hosted the under 17 world cup? Tell me how many times the super eagles have brought a match to the Nnamdi Azikiwe stadium in Enugu compared to how many times matches have been played in Uyo, Calabar, kano and Port-hacourt. Ngwa, let's keep deceiving ourselves.

4 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by iLoveAnambra(m): 11:14pm On Mar 24, 2018
Ndi Igbo nwere nnukwu Nsogbu
u wil see Many investments Anambra people own in PH Enugu,Owerri but Ndi obodo ahu na akpo anyi ndi Ogwu ego
i was telling one Ikwerre guy dat Genesis fast food New big mall at Choba campus owned by Everyday supermarket
and Helena Haven(the best Hotel in Uniport area)
one Igbo dude si na obu Ogwu ego
i gat nothing to say again than to cry deep inside m Heart...

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Dremca(m): 11:38pm On Mar 24, 2018
Scholes007:
Pls mr I don't like... If that is what you call placing on world map,how about the estates, industries,private hotels, and other investments springing up in enugu? I never disprove neither am totally in support of your claims brother. Enugu to me is get national n international recognition, only that it is too slow.
The investment in Nnewi alone, surpass that of the entire Enugu state.e
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Afam4eva(m): 11:43pm On Mar 24, 2018
Dremca:
The investment in Nnewi alone, surpass that of the entire Enugu state.e
I hope you're aware that there's an Anambra thread. You can go over there to mastur.bate.

7 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (529) (530) (531) (532) (533) (534) (535) ... (697) (Reply)

Update on developments in Anambra state-photos / Few Pics From Imo State / Abubakar Shekau, Boko Haram Leader Speaks To BBC Hausa, Enjoys Killing People.

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.