Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,003 members, 7,838,516 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 01:40 AM

2baga's Posts

Nairaland Forum / 2baga's Profile / 2baga's Posts

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (of 23 pages)

Politics / Re: Flooding: White Man Paddling His Canoe In Victoria Island, Lagos (Video, Photos) by 2baga(m): 5:30am On Jul 09, 2017
alcmene:
Lagos is just an over rated slum.... lipsrsealed

If Lagos is like this then you can imagine the conditions of Owo, Oshogbo and Ogbomosho cheesy cheesy

Kontinew to spew what you know nothing about, Owo in Ondo state is a town on hills, Oshogbo in Osun state lies on an elevation much higher than the whole of Lagos, Ogbomosho in Oyo state is in the midpark savanna belt.
No traces of overwhelming flood, even when it rains excessively there's quick run off of the water except where you have cases of blocked drainage.

And it is nothing to be compared to lagos
Technology Market / Re: PRE ORDER 2.0 - CHEAPEST PRE-ORDER TABLET/PHONE DEALS EVER FROM CHINA. by 2baga(m): 4:20pm On Jun 14, 2017
Bowlexzy:
Hello, I am Samuel Bolu; Freelance computer technician, product manager, web content strategist and social media manager. I have worked with eCommerce companies and also small medium enterprise to help manage and monitor their sites. So do you want to start selling your products on Konga, Jumia, Bargainmaster, SME Markethub etc or you need your products on your site? Or are you new to e-commerce? And you need help registering and uploading your products? With marketing that increases sales? I am Looking for brilliant and exciting idea to help product manage. If you are running an e-commerce company, contact me if you need a product manager and management help. 07035943189 or 08154326177

https://www.nairaland.com/3844154/need-web-content-strategist-e-commerce#57513156

i just might need your skill soon

1 Like

Properties / Re: FOR SALE: Uncompleted 3br Duplex Roofed At Abiola Farm Estate Ayobo Lagos by 2baga(m): 9:04am On Jun 07, 2017
Happy Birthday to you
Travel / Re: General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. by 2baga(m): 7:56am On Jun 03, 2017
baenoz:

It's all about knowing the tips and tricks of either exam. Some people say it's easier to nail your 20points with PTE. Though the speaking for PTE can be frustrating, you can ace it only if you can speak in the accent the computer understands.
IELTS on the other hand has its own style. It can be preferred if your thoughts flow better while writing on pen and paper than typing on the keyboard. Also if you prefer speaking to a human being than a robot. It takes longer time from booking the exam to seeing your result - maybe up to 2months, whereas PTE can be booked like 2days before and your result is out in a few days.

Really nice breakdown, thanks
Business To Business / Re: Ice Block Making Machine by 2baga(m): 7:38pm On May 29, 2017
nuclearboy:
builders of these machines (like other items) have relatives, friends etc. These would wish you patronise their uncles/sponsors etc. Like you, I contacted the poster who wants you to contact him first. I asked for his manufacturers number/address. His response (via email AGAIN) was that he'd get back to me in a couple of days: Standard issue response when you're trying to impress without having the capability to do so. I asked because I think I know practically every true builder in Ibadan and their capability and am not aware of anyone boasting his specs and price.

58, state hospital road, off ring road, Ibadan (08033272767/07055530420 email:nlbomb@gmail.com). Visit at your convenience. Not only will you see machines being built but also ice being frozen/sold. And Ice machine prices are not hard-coded. They vary according to market forces but you're looking at about 300K (installation included)

I would like to know if the above is still valid
Business / Re: This Machine Can Make You Millions Of Naira. by 2baga(m): 2:42pm On May 23, 2017
If only you can be more flexible in your pricing.....I'm sure a lot of people out there would love to patronise you
Business To Business / Re: Red Brick making machine for sale. by 2baga(m): 9:52am On May 23, 2017
Godspikin:
This project is a few minutes walk from Western Sun Hotels and the residence of Senator Adeleke in Ede Osun State.

4 Bedrooms all en-suite, 2 living rooms.
Varnish will be applied on the Exterior, this will make it waterproof and ensure it retains its unique beauty, the interior will be plastered and screeded to give the best of both worlds, A beautifully painted interior, with stucco, spatinin and leaves digital done on some portion and a uniquely beautiful exterior with all the benefits of a red brick building.

Total number of bricks to be used: 11,500 - 11,700 (Project is ongoing, 11,500 estimated to complete it)

I would like to know if this calculation is still valid today pls??

https://www.nairaland.com/2812399/red-brick-making-machine-sale#41442004
Business To Business / Re: Red Brick making machine for sale. by 2baga(m): 9:50am On May 23, 2017
Godspikin:

I dey here ooo
You can reach me on whatsapp

you have been a little bit scarce you know, how are you doing??
Business / Re: Help Needed! What Business Can I Set Up With 5m Naira by 2baga(m): 11:41am On May 14, 2017
dennisworld1:
with 1.5million roughly calculations. u can setup a bet9ja mega/VIPs shop. rent a big shop close to the road maybe 25k monthly rent of 1year which is 300k make sure that no bet9ja shop around you. buy 10desktop, about 3 40inch plasma TV. 6.5kva deasil self wed gen which can carry 1.5hp A.C and your desktops computer with no wahala, don't buy fuel if you don't want to spend more, deasil cost is cheaper if you buy from the black market which is 1k for 10litres. maybe new one worth 300k. or fairly used worth 100k. look for super agents to approve your shop. buy 4g router. subscribe monthly like 10k. furniture and banners of about 150k. slide window and doors of 200k. load your account with 100k each in the 4 account given to u, also buy A.C and fridge to sell can drinks, hire 3sales cashiers with a guarantors form attached salaries of not up to 15k-20k to resume by 8am and close by 7pm. don't look the business and say it is for the agberoes. look for the profits u will get. Do you know how much all this betsites owner eg Alabi makes weekly. I will those guys make moneys out of punters roughly 40million naira I may say that is a lot to become a millionaire. just be their agent and get your little bonus. this business is hotcake everywhere. cyber cafes owners dun port to bet shop owners. that's all maybe. your profits will be massive if people start trooping in for visual games. also buy 1small corolla to run around. the remaining 1 u can buy a plot of land with C of O depending on how cheap it is and use your profits to starts your foundation. U can as well give me inside too.

You did a fine analysis

1 Like

Jobs/Vacancies / Re: Don't Tell The Interviewer About Yourself, This Is What He Really Wants To Hear by 2baga(m): 2:57pm On Apr 26, 2017
I'm so stealing these gems grin grin grin

zazawaga:
Simple Ways to Answer Tricky Interview Questions

A couple of years ago, my idea of a job interview was being in front of a hard, unsmiling panel and having extremely difficult questions thrown at me, like rocks. However, when I got invited for my first interview, I realized this is not always the case.

A job interview does not have to be tense. In fact, you may find yourself with a very friendly panel, who will go all out to make you feel as comfortable as possible.

However, irrespective of the size and manner of the panel you are faced with, what is required of you is confidence and of course, the appropriate answers to every question you are asked. This part is what’s tricky.

So, in this post, we’d be looking at the simple ways to answer 5 tricky questions you are likely to get in your job interview.

1. Tell Me About Yourself.

This question seems very straightforward. Usually, the first you’d be asked in an interview. However, it is tricky because though it sounds like an invitation to tell your life story, it is not.

When asked the ‘tell me about yourself’ question, what the hiring panel is actually asking you is to tell them about yourself, as it pertains to the position you are applying for.

With this in mind, you should not begin to share generic information about yourself, your family or how many siblings you have. Rather, you could start with your name, academic qualifications, present skills and strengths, previous experiences as well as future professional aspirations. You should also feel free to ask the interviewers for clarifications, just in case there are specific information they’d like to hear about.

Take this for instance:

Question: Tell us a bit about yourself.

Wrong Answer: Hmmn, where do I start? My name is Oluwaseun. I was born in the late 80s and currently married with 6 kids. …

Right Answer: My name is Oluwaseun, a second-year master’s student of marketing communications at the Lagos Business School. Prior to pursing this degree, I worked with the marketing and communications department at Shell, where I developed and honed my skills in copywriting and digital marketing. This experience really piqued my interest in this field and I look forward to an opportunity to learn more and contribute to your marketing communications department…

2. Where do you See Yourself in Five Years?

This question is tricky because you might be tempted to say everything you see yourself doing in five years and completely miss the mark. Like the first question, your answer should be much more professional than personal. What the hiring panel really wants to know is if you are going to stick with them and if you are worth the investment of training.

To answer this question, you could tell them how you think the job will provide you with so many opportunities, such that in 5 years, you'd be in a particular position within the organisation. You can also explain what value you hope to have added as well as how you could also have improved yourself professionally in that time.

Take this for instance:

Question: Where do you see yourself in five years?

Wrong Answer: In five years, I’d be a millionaire, enjoying life. I’d have built a house and would probably be the CEO of this company …

Right answer: In five years, I hope to have acquired a lot of knowledge in marketing communications, as well as contributed immensely to the growth of my department and the company. I’m also looking forward to eventually taking on additional managerial responsibilities and possibly taking the lead on some projects…

3. What is your Greatest Weakness?

Like the first two, this question is also very tricky because you might be tempted to give personal, instead of professional answers.

When asked this question, what interviewers actually want to know is if or not you are consciously aware of the areas you could improve on. Your weakness does not have to be present. It could be something that you’ve already worked on, but say it anyway. I’d advise that you think about this question before the interview, so you don’t give a generic answer or be at a loss of what to say. No one would believe you if you say you have no weakness.

To answer this question, start by mentioning the weakness, how it poses a problem to your work or career and how you’ve started to work on improving.

Take this for instance:

Question: What is your greatest weakness?

Wrong answer: Hmmn, my greatest weakness is to sleep. I could sleep all day…

Right answer: I used to have to have a problem with time management and this affected me every time I tried to multitask. Currently, I’m working on this through the use of certain time management tools.

4. What did you Hate About your Last Job?

This question is tricky because you might be tempted to spill all the beans about why you hated your boss, the work, the timing - all of it! This is wrong, because as Kachi Tila-Adesina puts it, the interviewers might already begin to picture you sitting elsewhere and literally dragging their name and their organisation in the mud as well.’

To answer this question, start by saying how beneficial the job was, before going to state one or two things you could have changed, if given the opportunity. Also, explain why you think the role you are now applying for is a better fit.

If you did not hate your last job, you can say so. This response can also be adapted, just in case you are asked why you are leaving your current position.

Take this for instance:

Question: What did you hate about your last job?

Wrong answer: Ooh, my boss! I hated my boss! …

Right answer: Well, my last job did offer me an opportunity to learn and grow in my career. However, I think it would have been better if such opportunity was granted in a less hostile work environment... I believe that working here would not just give me a better opportunity to grow, but also a conducive and comfortable work environment, which is very important to growth.

5. How much are you looking to be paid?

Now, this question is tricky because well, money is involved and while you don’t want to short-change yourself, you wouldn’t want to price yourself out of range either!

I know money is very important but when asked this question, don’t jump at the opportunity to scream ‘one million naira!’ Instead, you should have done your research on the organisation you are coming into and how much is standard for the role you are applying for.

If you are aware of how much the company really wants to hire you, say because of your expertise and skills, you can negotiate your salary right there. However, if this is not the case, you’ll need to fall back on the information you’ve gathered on what the going rate is, for the position you’re being interviewed for. In the worst case scenarios, you can request to know more about the role’s responsibilities and benefits packages. You should also mention how you are willing to discuss further when the time is right.

Take this for instance:

Question: How much are you looking to be paid?

Wrong answer: I can’t take anything less than ‘One million naira’!

Right answer: That's a fair question. To answer it properly, I'd need to know more about the role’s responsibilities and benefits package. I am quite confident that knowing the reputation of the company, when the time comes, any offer you make will be competitive.”

Read also: 8 Insightful Questions Only the Smartest Candidates ask in a Job Interview

There you have it, the simple ways to answer tricky questions in your next job interview. Of course, there are quite a lot more tricky questions than I’ve listed. And while researching for this post, I found a couple of materials on tricky interview questions, which I think you’ll also find helpful. I’ve labelled them material 1, material 2, material 3 and material 4, respectively.

Finally, if you have any questions concerning job search, preparing for an interview or anything career-related, do feel free to ask.

Kindly share this post if you found it useful

https://discovery.insidify.com/dont-tell-the-interviewer-about-yourself-this-is-what-he-really-wants-to-hear

2 Likes 1 Share

Properties / Re: Is There A Demand For Brick Houses In Nigeria? by 2baga(m): 7:32am On Apr 26, 2017
It's a no brainer, if the overall design is tasteful and facilities are well put together..... you'll surely be amazed by people's response

6 Likes 2 Shares

Travel / Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 by 2baga(m): 12:31pm On Apr 25, 2017
thesoj:
***IMPORTANT LINKS***

HINTS ON SECURING MSc ADMISSIONS IN CANADIAN UNIVERSITIES

COMPREHENSIVE LIST OF REQUIREMENTS FOR STUDY VISA APPLICATION

CLICK HERE TO FIND A UNIVERSITY IN CANADA

LIST OF MOST POST-SECONDARY AND PGD PROGRAMS IN CANADIAN COLLEGES
Ontario Colleges programs search

TIPS ON WRITING AN SOP FOR THE VISA OFFICER

CLICK HERE TO FIND A SOP SAMPLE FOR THE VISA OFFICER

CLICK HERE TO FIND A LETTER OF SPONSORSHIP SAMPLE

THINGS TO LOOK OUT FOR BEFORE SUBMITTING A STATEMENT OF ACCOUNT Thanks @yemdogg

TIPS ON FINDING A RESEARCH SUPERVISOR FOR RESEARCH OR THESIS-BASED MSC OR PHD

STEPS TO CANADA ONLINE VISA APPLICATION

CLICK HERE FOR A SAMPLE OF LIST OF DOCUMENTS TO SUBMIT FOR YOUR STUDY VISA

HOW TO TACKLE COMMON REASONS FOR DENIAL

HOW TO FIND ANY INFORMATION ON THIS THREAD, NO MATTER WHEN IT WAS POSTED

THE POPULAR TRV CHOPPING DOCUMENTS COMPILATION

MORE POPULAR TRV CHOPPING DOCUMENTS

HOW TO SHRINK FILES FOR YOUR ONLINE VISA APPLICATION

CLICK TO SEE COMMON REASONS FOR DENIAL

SAMPLE LETTER OF INTRODUCTION FROM YOUR WORK PLACE

CIC E-MAIL FOR INQUIRIES

MEDICAL EXAMINATION LOCATIONS IN NIGERIA

CLICK HERE TO KNOW MORE ABOUT WORK PERMIT AFTER GRADUATION

IS IT HARDER OR EASIER TO GET A TRV WITH PGC/PGD ADMISSION VS. MASTERS?

A VERY IMPORTANT CLUE WHEN DRAFTING YOUR SOP

IF YOUR APP IS MORE THAN THE AVERAGE PROCESSING TIME, CLICK HERE TO SEND A CASE SPECIFIC ENQUIRY TO CIC

CHANGING INSTITUTION AFTER TRV & LANDING IN CANADA

CHEAP GCMS ORDERING SERVICE

TRAVELLING TIPS #1
TRAVELLING TIPS #2

LIFE IN CANADA Tips
***UPDATED***

wow thanks for the top-class info
Travel / Re: General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. by 2baga(m): 4:33pm On Apr 24, 2017
mamajaz:

My basic info:
Qualification: HND, BEng, PGD Elect / Elect
Age 40yrs
Married
Almost 15years continous experience
Hold IELTS average 7.5
Brotherly, before sunvick and dem others go come to give you milk, make Ai first give you pap so that everything go dey easily digestible for you...
Your BEng should earn you 15 points, age will earn you 15 points, IELTS if you have no module lesser than 7 will earn you 10 points but if lesser than that but no module is not up to 6( it will serve you for assessment only), you go need retake am be that, you may want to consider PTE-A to claim 20 points, your experience will earn you 15 points if you wanna claim points from experience.
You need to move with the speed of light to assess with EA, fast track same too. It is well with you as you go back to the first two pages because of this family history to read and digest all the links there. God be in your head.....and in your....( Who remember that nursery prayer).

you are so funny but i believe the message is well understood

1 Like

Celebrities / Re: Biography Of Late Actor, Olumide Bakare by 2baga(m): 4:22pm On Apr 22, 2017
shadrach77:
Chief Koko of Oluwa lanbe Lodge. It is well cry

You're from my generation...... Nice to know

1 Like

Satellite TV Technology / Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by 2baga(m): 1:15pm On Apr 13, 2017
Wow just reading this makes me think are we in the same naija... surely you have a sweet setup

Chuckdee:
Hi all,

I want to share my setup with the house so as to serve as a source of motivation to new DIYers that would come across this thread because it's the same way i got the needed info to do mine. I have read, watched and studied so much in the past years as regards to solar and renewable energy that I was able to design, procure and deploy my setup all by myself and with help of a couple of friends. I did make use of some carpenter guy to help mount the panels on the roof following my instructions through, and also got my electrician to run load separation cables for me. However, there are members of this forum who have been immensely helpful to me by answering my plenty questions and worries, I am very grateful to Mr. Chris of AWPS Renewable Energy, your love n passion for the job is unquestionable!, Dunka, your motivation is next to none, Frankie the able supplier and a brother, George_D da boss!, thanks for the emails! and all the contributing members here, y'all are the best. it has been a very wonderful experience and I thank God for the opportunity.

My rig consists of:

15 X 300W yahSun Mono Panels (4,500W)
8 X USL16EXC2 6V L16 360AH USA Flooded Batteries
1 X Midnight Solar Classic 150 96A MPPT Charge Controller
1 X Magnum Magnasine 4300W Pure sinewave Inverter
1 X Magnum MERC Advanced Remote
1 X Trimetric 2030A + 500 Mv Shunt
1 X 48V BLS Desulphator
1 X 6Ft Earthing Rod
2 X Midnightsolar MNSPD Surge protector (1 for AC side, 1 for DC side)
1 X 10KVA Servo Stabilizer ( Pre-owned for about 4 years now)
4 x Complete galvanized aluminium Roof Mount
Various quality Breakers, Fuses and Accessories.

EXTRAS:

1 X TP-Link AC750 Dual Band WiFi Range Extender, Extends WiFi to Smart Home & Alexa Devices (RE200)
2 X TP-Link Smart Plug w/ Energy Monitoring, No Hub Required, Wi-Fi, Works with Alexa, Control your Devices from Anywhere (HS110)
1 X TP-Link Smart Wi-Fi Light Switch, No Hub Required, Single Pole, Control Your Fixtures From Anywhere, Works with Amazon Alexa (HS200)
1 X Amazon Echo dot 2nd gen.
.....More on those later.

It is important to state that these items were acquired over a long period of time, infact, it took me one year plus of self disciplined money management, savings and forfeiting so much to make this happen maybe because of my taste in quality but from experience, i have learnt to go hard and go once! at a point i was sending money monthly to Frankie so as to secure a price point on the panels when the dollar was climbing like crazy. The most expensive item to get were the batteries as you had to buy them once. My candid advice to anyone is to start small, make a checklist of needed items and bit by bit, you will be striking off the ones you get as time goes on.

Panels were run in series/parallel strings of 3X5 to a combiner box with 5 breakers. All panels, inverter, CC and Combiner box were Grounded. 6MM ammoured cables from panels to combiner box, 10MM from combiner box to CC. Battery interconnect cables, CC to battery bank, Inverter to battery bank all 50MM Extra fine stranded Welding cable. Although a little more expensive, these cables handle any load comfortably and have never felt a tad warm to the touch at all and trust me, i have pushed them to the max all in the name of testing.

Seeking to achieve an 'almost' off grid setup, I went for that much number in panels and the result of having an array sized to cover the worst time of year, is that you get quite a bit of spare power at peak sun times. Therefore it makes sense to divide your loads up into base loads and opportunity loads. My base loads are 1 large Refrigerator (on a timer running 7AM-5PM daily), 1 always-on 24/7 Freezer, water pumps, computer gear, chargers of all sorts, lighting, security lights consisting of 8 X 15W energy saving bulbs (looking to change them to LEDs of less than 10W if i find them), an always-on Apple MacMini I use as my media server running a PLEX server serving movies to all TVs and smart devices like Roku box, Amazon fire Tv stick, and one Xiami Mi Android TV in the house, 2 standing fans, as well as sundry occasional appliances,power tools and other usual stuff; washing machine, iron, juicer, blender, microwave and hair blowers.

Most mornings, I wake up to a battery bank that is between 68-75% except on days i play the PS4 pro or xbox1 all night, i have seen 66% in the mornings, still under 50% DOD so not too bad and I know that my batteries have not yet been broken into very well. By 1-2PM batteries are already in float so the excess power are dumped into opportunity loads like running ACs, boiling water and cooking using the Induction cooker running at max power till like 4PM. I have seen max PV output of 3600W+ and my area in Abuja is very dusty, so many untarred road around my hood, panels were covered in dust from the next day after installation! and we have not seen any rains yet so i believe there is tendency for better output when the rains come.On average i harvest around 14-18Kwh daily. I have been running the system TOTALLY off-grid since the 10th of March.

I used the Wifi extender to extend my WAN and use the Ethernet jack to plug in the Midnight Classic CC to my home network, so i can monitor from PC and phone w/out having to run a long lan cable to my router inside. Got for less than $20 on amazon and works like a charm.

I use The smart plug to plug in my fridge and set it on a timer so it automatically comes on @ 7am and shuts off by 5PM daily. I also use it to monitor energy consumption in real time or over a period of time, very helpful to calculate all your energy consumption.

The smart switch i use to automatically turn on the whole security lights @ 7pm and turn of @ 6:15 am daily. and just like the smart plug, they both can be controlled from anywhere in the world from the app as long as u have internet and i have tested this, it works perfectly.

I am a geeky kinda guy cool so I love me some home automation wink and i have had some Phillips Hue lighting in the house, all devices in my Home theater setup are controlled using just a single remote-- The Logitec Harmony elite and all these devices can be controlled via voice with Alexa on amazon echo dot, pretty neat and works for the TP link switch and smart plugs too. I hv 10 Terabytes of Movies, TV series and Anime all in HD and running perfectly on the media server 24/7 with the beautiful interface of PLEX (guys u need to check it out, its simply your own NETFLIX @ home) For internet i use the NTEL unlimited package so everything is always ONLINE... I share my home wifi for my neighbors and they can watch movies on their phones and tablets as the media server can comfortably handle multiple media streams at once without issues. All these are possible because the sun gives me free Energy!

I cannot state how lovely it is to have uninterrupted power supply, something people in other countries take for granted. I think going solar is the best way forward for us here.

Ok!Sorry guys for the long read shocked, however, Your comments, criticism, corrections and questions are welcome..

3 Likes

Properties / Re: Where Is The Safest Place In Nigeria To Have Landed Properties? by 2baga(m): 10:02am On Apr 12, 2017
ekems2017:
Federal housing in Calabar, Ekorinim in Calabar, satellite town in Calabar. Those places are safe and it's a mind your business area.

Abuja; depends on your pocket but if you are an average man, Federal Housing Authority Nyanya is a very safe place to own a house do your business. Karu is another safe place.

This sounds like a fun place to live
Technology Market / Re: Pre-Order ur Goods via Aliexpress/1688/Taobao/Dhgate @Cheapest shipping Rates by 2baga(m): 4:55pm On Apr 06, 2017
TV/Movies / Re: What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 by 2baga(m): 11:18am On Apr 03, 2017
Elparaiso:

He is simply going to scam you or he will give you stolen passwords. Either way na trouble.

noted shocked shocked shocked
Business / Re: Story Of Ibadan’s First Entrepreneur, Enigmatic Adebisi Idi-ikan: An Unsung Hero by 2baga(m): 4:06pm On Apr 02, 2017
Wow, that's a real life hero and role model worthy to be emulated, Ibadan has always been a melting pot of historical people and events that helped shaped this great nation.
Kudos op

Queseda:
The Nigerian firmament, is replete with the stories of unsung heroes, be it in commerce, politics, enterprise, education, sports, medicine, traditional institutions and so on. Sanusi Adebisi Idikan was an enigmatic personality that traversed Ibadan’s landscape in commerce, engaged in philanthropy and humaneness in the late 19th and 20th centuries.
COMING OF THE OFI- CLOTHE WEAVING HERO
He was born in 1882, in Ibadan during the reign of Aare Latoosa, the Baale of Ibadan, and died in 1938, during the reign of his bosom friend and Father In Law, Olubadan Okunola Abass Aleshinloye. Despite being the biggest story of his time, Sanusi remained an unsung hero. Adebisi’s father, Adesina, migrated from Efon Alaaye (Ijesha Stock) in present day Ondo State. He was an itinerant Ofi clothe weaver- a traditional Yoruba clothe, earmarked for ceremonies, marriages, burials and so on. He moved to Ibadan with his paternal half-brother- Alabi and settled in Aremo, in the household of Lanase. Ibadan had become then, the most cosmopolitan city in Nigeria and perhaps black Africa. It was secure, accommodating and prosperous. Adesina whilst plying his trade of Ofi weaving, was also spiritual consultant to Alaafin Atiba, who had betrothed his most precious daughter- Princess Ogboja to him, in recognition of Adesina’s great spiritual impact in his life. Adesina, begat three children- Adetinrin, Adeoti and Adebisi. Adetinrin and Adeoti were 20 years and 15 years respectively, older than Adebisi. Adebisi grew up to join his siblings in the hawking of their father’s Ofi clothes in and outside the city of Ibadan. Within a short spade of time, he enlarged the space of the business by hawking the Ofi clothes outside Ibadan- Iwo, Ile Ogbo, Ikire, Oshogbo, Ife, Ondo and even the far flung place of Benin and before the age of 18 years, he became an instant success and even had to retire his siblings from the business.  
AND THE COCOA PLANTATIONS FOLLOW
Aside Ofi business, he ventured into large scale farming, in Ashipa village, Mamu, where he developed a large cocoa plantation. Cocoa had been introduced into Nigeria since 1874 and had by the 1890s, become Nigeria’s most notable cash crop, most especially in Yoruba land. In Ashipa, he built a farmstead and numerous houses, for his farm workers. The success in the Mamu cocoa plantation, encouraged him to acquire about 200 Acres of land in Apata Ibadan, where he developed another cocoa plantation.  
ADEBISI BECOMES SOCIETY LEADER
In recognition of his success as a cocoa farmer and entrepreneur, he was made the Giwa Egbe (head of the society) by his other successful merchants, like Otiti, Ekolo, Afunleyin, Ladimeji from Isale Ijebu and Adeyemo Owonbuwo from Oopo-yeosa. As Giwa of the society, he added Giwa to his name, to become Sanusi Adebisi Giwa. Sanusi Adebisi Giwa’s acts of philanthropy were demonstrated in his first tax rescue effort in Ibadan. Payment of tax by every male adult was made compulsory by the colonial government. Most Ibadan adults were subsistent farmers, who could not afford the payment of tax and that the punishment for tax evasion was, detention in Mapo, which also served as the Treasury Office. A detained tax defaulter, usually found it difficult to get a contemporary who would bail him out, because most adults were tax evaders and an attempt by a tax evader to bail a tax evader, would certainly land such rescue effort into another detention.  
TAX EVASION: THE SUICIDE STORY OF BAALE’S SON
This tax problem became such an agony, that a Balogun of Ibadan- Balogun Ola, son of Baale Orowusi, would rather commit suicide, than to see Ibadan Young men in perpetual tax agony and detention. This valiant self murder, was recognized by the Ibadan people, who named him Kobomoje (the one who displayed gallantry against timidity) The payment of tax became a social symbol and tax defaulters were usually mocked and despised by the popular song-”Owo ori ti d’ ode o, o o’ode o baba wa loko san” –”payment of taxation has come, our fathers were the first to pay, the idiots and lazy ones who have not paid are in detention in Mapo”- “Awon ode ti o le san o, won nbe lati mole ni Mapo.” Adebisi was displeased with the tax situation in Ibadan. His philosophy had always been- (the rich must help the poor who are vulnerable) Adebisi had at this time been one of the first set of Ibadan elites, perhaps if not the first person, to ride a car, apart from his hordes of horses.  
ADEBISI SHOCKS COLONIAL TAX OFFICER
For effect, he had his horse dispatch rider- Ladimeji, to ride in front of his car, on his way to Mapo, to see the Chief Tax Officer for the Ibadan Colonial Office. In his meeting with the officer in the colonial office, he brokered an understanding- “I want to be paying tax on behalf of every taxable adult in Ibadan”. The officer was shocked, nonplussed and asked him, if he knew the financial implication of his gesture? But he still insisted on paying. Henceforth, the colonial officer would calculate the amount of tax expected from all Ibadan taxable adults and would go to Adebisi Idikan’s residence to collect the money.  
SALAMI AGBAJE JOINS ADEBISI
Ibadan of this era had certainly produced Salami Agbaje and Adebisi Idikan as its two wealthiest citizens. Salami Agbaje was born in Lagos in 1880, to Arowodu, an Arabic migrant from Iseyin. His mother was an Ibadan woman and he had begun his early life as a tailor, apprentice driver and later a sawyer. He eventually supplied all the timbers (slippers) needed for the Lagos-Ibadan railway, between 1898 and 1901, when fortune smiled on him. Ibadan train station was opened in 1901. His fortune in the timber business encouraged him to venture into the newly, money spinning cocoa market. However, whilst Sanusi Adebisi indulged his money in philanthropy, Salami indulged his own, in the education of his children and had produced the first Ibadan Medical Doctor- Dr. Saka Anthony Agbaje, Mojeed Agbaje, First Ibadan Lawyer, a retired Supreme Court Judge, Gani Agbaje and a Senior Advocate of Nigeria- Yekeen Agbaje. As an acknowledgement of these two great wealthy men, a notable Ibadan diarist- Akinpade Obisesan, in his diary in 1922 noted: “nobody in this town will revere anyone of no-means, he would be counted as no-man, the great presents made to us, forced me to recognise that Messers Agbaje and Adebisi are being held in high esteem- after all, what is our intelligence, our school going and reading of books, without getting money to back these three things” Akinpade Obisesan, after he retired from the Lagos railway, had returned to Ibadan, where he worked in many European mercantile firms and also made efforts to establish himself as a trader, like Adebisi and Salami. In furtherance of his aspiration, he ordered a book entitled: Six Hundred Ways to Get Rich” from a book seller in the United States. However, despite the book knowledge, the burden entrepreneur could still not make it in the way of Salami Agbaje and Adebisi Idikan. Fortune is a product of not only hard work, but mother luck.  
IBADAN’S FIRST UNIVERSITY GRADUATE
Bishop Alexander Babatunde Akinleye, was Ibadan’s first University Graduate in 1912 and founded Ibadan’s first Secondary School- Ibadan Grammar School in 1913. Two of Adebisi’s children- Azeez Zakariyyah and Salawu Adebisi had attended Ibadan Grammar School under Bishop Akinleye. There were usually, no higher schools in Ibadan, after Ibadan Grammar School.  
WHY ADEBISI REJECTED UNIVERSITY EDUCATION FOR HIS CHILDREN
Bishop Akinleye had visited Salami Adebisi, to encourage him and also to intimate him, on the prospect of gaining a university admission for his two sons in Europe, who had just left his college, with the hope that it would be an encouragement to other Ibadan wealthy men. But Adebisi, whilst thanking Bishop Akinleye for his concern and also acknowledging his episcopal visit, told the Bishop and Principal, that he would not like to expose his children, to the danger associated with schooling abroad. According to him, the man of means would always employ the man of knowledge. Around 1920, the Miller brothers of the United Kingdom, arrived Ibadan looking for business prospects, opportunities and business associates. They needed a native of immense wealth, who could be an intermediary and associate. Sanusi even though unlettered, had secretaries and Personal Assistants, who were lettered.
THE MILLER BROTHERS ENGAGE HIM
The Miller brothers made him their Factor. Whatever goods imported to Nigeria by the Miller brothers, would reach Ibadan, the main depot, for Adebisi to chat its mode of distribution and marketing, as its main distributor and marketer. Adebisi’s fortune soared and the Miller brothers, became a conglomerate and a multi-national. Adebisi later became a share holder in the multi-national and Miller brothers, later changed their name to United African Company (U.A.C)   HOW HE JOINED TRADITIONAL RULING CLASS
Adebisi, having traversed the world of business, commerce, enterprise and philanthropy, he needed to expand his frontiers, by joining the traditional ruling elites of Ibadan. As Ibadan’s notable wealthy man, he approached the reigning monarch- Baale Shittu Aare in 1924 for a Chieftaincy title, which Baale gladly obliged. Unfortunately, before he could be conferred with the chieftaincy title, Baale Shittu Aare was on May 1925, deposed by the Alaafin of Oyo- Oba Shiyanbola Ladigbolu, for “disloyalty and having an unsatisfactory attitude.” As the diarist Akinpelu saw the matter, Shittu was” wrongfully and wickedly deposed”. Baale Shittu Aare, remained in Oyo for a year and was then deported further north to Shaki where he died in 1935. His corpse was returned to Ibadan to be buried in his compound- Ile Latoosa. Aare was succeeded by Baale Oyewole Foko in 1925. On the 26th of November, 1926, Adebisi was installed, the Ashaju Baale of Ibadan, jumping about 10 lines on the rung of the ladder- Otun Olubadan (civil) line. Money “is the god of the world” rhapsodised Akinpelu Obisesan. In June 1925, the foundation stone of Mapo Hall was laid by Alaafin Shiyanbola Ladigbolu and the British Resident- Captain W.A Ross.  
ADEBISI UNDERSCORES THE INFLUENCE OF MONEY
At this impressive ceremony, Adebisi was gorgeously dressed in flamboyant traditional attires, with befitting caps to match, which caught the instant admiration of the British Resident. Alaafin Shiyanbola Ladigbolu accused Adebisi of stealing the show. Before Alaafin Ladigbolu left Ibadan, for Oyo, he dropped a message for Baale Shittu, that Adebisi must see him in Oyo and that when coming, Adebisi must come along with him, the apparel- clothes, cap and shoes used when he met the Resident governor-Captain W.A Ross. Sensing danger, Adebisi refused to go, but rather, sent a truck load of clothes, food items and drinks with an emissary, led by his senior sister- Adetinrin, who was a sparkling beauty. Having assuaged the ego of Iku Baba Yeye, he later paid him a visit where he was heralded with songs and drums. Adebisi who had earlier been targeted for extinction, became Alaafin Ladigbolu’s favourite friend, amiable consult and loyalist. Sanusi Adebisi having joined the Otun Olubadan line from the 11th on the rung of the ladder, of 22 lines, later shortly thereafter, rose to become the Ashipa in 1936, and was installed by the incumbent Olubadan- Abass Okunola Aleshinloye, who succeeded Oyewole Foko, in 1930 as the new Olubadan of Ibadan. Akinpelu Obisesan, again, dumbfounded by Adebisi’s meteoric rise, wrote in his diary_ “Adebisi rose from the rank of political servants to the rank of political masters. Surely, money is the god of the world; in this way, he fulfilled one of his life’s greatest ambitions.” With the Ashipa title in the Olubadan line, Adebisi had just few steps into becoming the Olubadan of Ibadan land. Oba Abass Okunola Aleshinloye in further recognition of Adebisi’s Wealth and philanthropy, also gave his beloved daughter in marriage to him. Oba Abass Aleshinloye, had promoted Adebisi three times, within six years. Adebisi having been impressed with the construction of Mapo hall in 1925, also started the construction of his own mansion in 1927- an edifice that looked like Mapo Hall in elegance, grandeur and splendour. The architectural design and construction of the Adebisi mansion, could only be found in Europe. The building/mansion was simply non-pariel, i.e. no equal, that it was the folk tale that “eni ti o ba fe ko iru ile Adebisi, ko tin i ile ko” meaning- “he who wants to build a house like Adebisi’s mansion, is not ready to build any house”. The top of the triangular dome was designed with an elephant, which is engraved “S.A.G” abbreviation for Sanusi Adebisi Giwa. The Mapo Hall was commissioned in October 5, 1929 and Adebisi’s Mansion was opened before the opening of Mapo Hall. Both buildings were constructed by Europeans, and a local Engineer- Mr Carew (Keru), with some foreign professional builders and Engineers working as a consortium.  
THE MAN OF GENEROSITY
Sanusi Adebisi was a man of excessive generosity, whose milk of human kindness was ceaseless. Coming from a visit from Ede, where he had gone to see the reigning Monarch- the Timi of Ede, he saw a handcuffed man, being taken to the Agodi prison yard Ibadan, by some prison warders. He stopped to ask for the man’s offence- he was a debtor. Adebisi there and then instructed the warders to follow him to collect the money and release the debtor. Despite Adebisi’s intervention, the freed debtor, refused to leave Adebisi’s household and stated that he would rather remain and live with him, as one of his boys and this Adebisi gladly obliged. Adebisi’s driver- Ereola, was reported to him by some jealous folks for stealing Adebisi’s money and had used proceeds of that theft in building a house. Adebisi promised to investigate the matter. The following morning, he challenged the driver- Ereola and asked him to take him straight to the house he was building. On reaching the site, he saw the building construction going on and the builders were shocked to see Ereola’s master. Unbelievably, Adebisi asked the builders to start dismantling the structure already constructed and start to rebuild it in the mode that would befit Ereola’s master- Adebisi. Adebisi directed the builders to go into his building material stores at Ogunpa and ordered them to go and collect thousands of blocks and all the necessary building materials, like roofing sheets and so on. At completion, Ereola’s house became a cynosure of all eyes and also broke the record, as the first lowly person in Ibadan, to build a house of blocks, that was incomparable. Adebisi had a legendary style of writing off debts, without being prompted. He would ask his secretary / personal assistant- Adesokan, to read out the names of debtors and how much they owed. He would tear the pages and order for a match stick. He would strike the match stick and burn all the papers containing the debtors names. He would write off the debts whilst saying- “nobody likes to be a debtor”. Aside from his foray into the Ibadan traditional ruling council, he also became the President of the Ibadan Land Court in 1936. At the Land Court, he displayed exceptional brilliance, humaneness and deep knowledge of the Ibadan traditional Justice system. He would rather arbitrate a dispute, and would always prefer a fine option to a jail sentence. At this period, Captain Ward Price, an Ibadan apologist, had succeeded Captain W.A Ross, as the Resident of Ibadan.
HIS GLORIOUS EXIT
Adebisi in ill health, had visited the then renowned surgeon- Dr Doherty in Lagos. He was advised by the surgeon, to stay in Lagos for three weeks in order to reduce his stressful activities. In order to stay in Lagos for three weeks, he bought a house at 34, Whitman Street, Ebute Meta in Lagos, to enjoy a well-deserved rest. In January, 1938, in his last few moments, he brought out money to assist insolvent debtors. He brought out the papers containing the debtors’ names, tore and burnt them, without anyone noticing any premonition. After a brief illness of some few hours, he joined the saints triumphant on Friday June 21, 1938, at the age of 56 Years, and such was the glorious exit of the unparalleled, uncommon benefactor and philanthropist, who had impacted on souls and communities,- the Ibadan communities, Ibadan societies, Western Region and Nigeria. In the Ibadan folklore- “Ile Adebisi lati je Malu tawo tawo, awa o je dodo, nile Salami”, meaning-it is in Adebisi’s house that cow meat is eaten wholly with its skin, while we have not eaten fried plantain in the house of Salami (another notable Ibadan wealthy man of Adebisi’s generation). This piece is in response to a clarion call for the celebration of the times and lives of men, who had impacted successfully on the society and who had also made life worth living for the less privileged of their times, as a demonstration of how best to live a worthy and exemplary life. Human memory being short, the likes of Adebisi Idikan must be continually applauded and celebrated at all times! Sanusi Adebisi Giwa Akanji Idikan, Omo Ogboja, may your soul continually find peaceful repose with the Lord.

Read more at: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/07/sanusi-adebisi-idikan-1882-1838-first-ibadan-notable-entrepreneur-philanthropist/
Technology Market / Re: Pre-Order ur Goods via Aliexpress/1688/Taobao/Dhgate @Cheapest shipping Rates by 2baga(m): 3:29pm On Mar 28, 2017
please help with these items

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32796162656/32796162656.html?shortkey=VVFRZ7N3&addresstype=600

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2-16G-X96-Android-6-0-Amlogic-S905X-Quad-core-HDMI-2-0-4K-2K-Internet/32703371090.html?spm=2114.01010208.3.2.mojhqY&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_2_10065_10068_10526_9982_10529_10084_10083_10080_10082_10081_10110_10136_10111_10137_10060_10112_10138_10113_10062_10114_125_10141_10056_10055_10054_10059_10517_10099_10078_10079_10103_10073_10102_10096_10070_10122_10123_10144_10052_10053_10124_10142_10107_10050_10143_10051-9982,searchweb201603_1,afswitch_1,ppcSwitch_5,single_sort_0_default&btsid=11ce3c81-5078-4d30-8aa8-7eaaf9899f42&algo_expid=483c794a-17d8-4ec5-9689-f33d8e8d1234-0&algo_pvid=483c794a-17d8-4ec5-9689-f33d8e8d1234

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Amlogic-S912-2GB-DDR3-RAM-16GB-H96-Pro-Android-6-0-KODI-16-14k-smart-media/32723525264.html?spm=2114.01010208.3.85.mojhqY&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_2_10065_10068_10526_9982_10529_10084_10083_10080_10082_10081_10110_10136_10111_10137_10060_10112_10138_10113_10062_10114_125_10141_10056_10055_10054_10059_10517_10099_10078_10079_10103_10073_10102_10096_10070_10122_10123_10144_10052_10053_10124_10142_10107_10050_10143_10051-9982,searchweb201603_1,afswitch_1,ppcSwitch_5,single_sort_0_default&btsid=11ce3c81-5078-4d30-8aa8-7eaaf9899f42&algo_expid=483c794a-17d8-4ec5-9689-f33d8e8d1234-10&algo_pvid=483c794a-17d8-4ec5-9689-f33d8e8d1234
Politics / Re: Hameed Ali Redeploys Seven Comptrollers Of Customs by 2baga(m): 11:56am On Mar 17, 2017
Specialspesh:
REDEPLOYMENT OF COMPTROLLERS

The Comptroller-General of Customs Col. Hameed Ibrahim Ali (Rtd) has approved the redeployment of seven (7) Comptrollers of Customs.
They are:
• Aber, T. B. Kirikiri Lighter Terminal to Ag. ACG Modernization
(HQ)
• Wushishi, L. ICT (HQ) to Kirikiri Lighter Terminal
• Babani, A. Port Harcourt Area II to Post Clearance Audit (Zone
‘A’)
• Abubakar, B. Post Clearance Audit (Zone ‘A’) to Port Harcourt
Area II
• Mohammed, A. A. Finance Administration and Technical
Service (HQ) to Seme
• Dimka, V. O. From Seme to Zone ‘D’ HQ Bauchi
• Odibu, C. O. Human Resource Development (HRD) to
Ikorodu Lighter Terminal
As the affected officers resume at their new posts, the CGC urges them to re-engineer their Commands for effective and efficient service delivery.

Signed
Joseph Attah
Ag. Public Relations Officer

http://www.cambellsblog.com/2017/03/customs-boss-hameed-ali-redeploys-seven.html

nice approach to service
Education / Re: WTF Facts : Funny, Interesting And Weird Facts! by 2baga(m): 1:38am On Feb 20, 2017
Hmmm interesting perspective
Science/Technology / Re: How my inverter is saving me in this poor power supply and no-fuel situation by 2baga(m): 6:04am On Feb 09, 2017
perloomey:
I'm an installer of solar panels and inverters
let me tell u a story of a man of in which we install solar panels. we helped the man install solar panels if 2700w with 6batteries and a 5.5kva inverter with the best charge controllers not pwm as widely used. his son came from abroad while he was away, throughout the son stay for two weeks he was able to pump water, iron clothes, electric stove, watch TV, fridge and freezer is always on etc.
the son was convinced and thought Nigeria light was good not until his father came and showed him the panels on the roof.
also we've been able to build cars that uses solar panels. think of anything in solar come to us
call or Whatsapp 08068783141

Nice marketing
Autos / Re: Classic Autos Available In Cotonuo..See Pictures of different cars i bought. by 2baga(m): 11:28pm On Jan 29, 2017
Hello good evening, how much is the landing cost for Honda Shuttle 2000 and Mitsubishi Spacewagon 2000??
Car Talk / Re: I Need A Drivers License by 2baga(m): 3:12pm On Jan 24, 2017
pattybf:

3yrs 12k, 5yrs 17k

nice one
Religion / Re: Oyedepo Commands Followers To Kill Suspected Terrorists - 2015 by 2baga(m): 9:43am On Jan 13, 2017
Seun:
Every decent person shares the humble Bishop's feelings about Boko Haram, but asking people to spill the blood of "anyone that looks like them" (i.e. a northerner or muslim in the wrong place at the wrong time) is very wrong. Didn't Jesus say, "love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you"? How can you call yourself a Christian if you blatantly and proudly disobey the teachings of the very Christ you worship?

apparently, neither you nor any member of your family had ever witnessed or personally experienced the scourge called bokoharam.
Even neutral muslims from the north are terrified of their actions!!!!

Seun:
Didn't Jesus say, "love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you"? How can you call yourself a Christian if you blatantly and proudly disobey the teachings of the very Christ you worship?

Seun, evidently your knowledge of the biblical injunctions are sorely limited
Politics / Re: Southern Kaduna : Elrufai Meets With Buratai, Requests Deployment Of Troops by 2baga(m): 11:49am On Jan 12, 2017
medicine after death sad

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (of 23 pages)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 143
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.