Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,078 members, 7,957,019 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 04:39 AM

NL Monthly Political Debate - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / NL Monthly Political Debate (50692 Views)

Ifeanyi Uba Caught Cheating In Anambra Political Debate. / 1914 Amalgamation - A Historical Mistake? : Nairaland Political Debate / Gov Orji Walks Out Of Political Debate!can It Affect His Election? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (37) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Wislet(f): 8:20pm On Oct 09, 2012
politics section and its bruhaha.
I hope some of the judges listed up there will not be the worst thing to happen to the debate, cos going by the exchange of words that took place already, hope there won't be 'bad blood' between the criticized judges and their critics.
Choose the judges veeeeryy carefully(that cannot be overstressed).
They must be neutral characters with long forgotten/NO history of fighting with or holding grudge against anyone(even on this thread).
In the absence of that, NO ONE will take their assessments seriously and there might be fresh fights over that.
Am not impressed with the drama on this thread so far(and the debate hasn't even started).
Could we please respect one another here and leave the name calling(whether Arewa, biafra,etc)outside the door?
Thnx.
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Jarus(m): 8:27pm On Oct 09, 2012
chucky234: Jarus! Jarus!! Jarus!!!
Why can't you inform stake holders like us notice on time,haba JARUS.
My apologies, boss.
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Jarus(m): 8:28pm On Oct 09, 2012
Wislet: politics section and its bruhaha.
I hope some of the judges listed up there will not be the worst thing to happen to the debate, cos going by the exchange of words that took place already, hope there won't be 'bad blood' between the criticized judges and their critics.
Choose the judges veeeeryy carefully(that cannot be overstressed).
They must be neutral characters with long forgotten/NO history of fighting with or holding grudge against anyone(even on this thread).
In the absence of that, NO ONE will take their assessments seriously and there might be fresh fights over that.
Am not impressed with the drama on this thread so far(and the debate hasn't even started).
Could we please respect one another here and leave the name calling(whether Arewa, biafra,etc)outside the door?
Thnx.
Noted. Thanks
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Jarus(m): 8:31pm On Oct 09, 2012
goldiam: well its a good idea but i think d debaters should be given enough time prior to the date of the debate as this will enable them gather their facts well before coming out to throw their points.not that u guys will just come up with any topic a day to the debate and expect them to feed us with baseless facts. Ta sante
That's actually the plan. At least 1 week notice. The topic and debaters shall be made known not earlier than 1 week and everyone looks forward to the 'Super Weekend'.
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Odunnu: 8:34pm On Oct 09, 2012
If Ibime is serious about being a judge, I nominate him.
Violent is level headed too and would do better as a judge.
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by chucky234(m): 8:36pm On Oct 09, 2012
Jarus:
My apologies, boss.
Apology accepted
Carry go,nothing do you.
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by PaulJohn1: 8:38pm On Oct 09, 2012
Just watching from here. Hope the mods make the right choice.
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by chucky234(m): 8:40pm On Oct 09, 2012
I think eight debaters should be nominated for first round then trim down to four in the second round with only two debaters making it to the final from the four.
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by controlseven: 8:42pm On Oct 09, 2012
I am getting more addicted to Nairaland with each passing day. Like Jose Mourinho would say, "Nairaland is a top top news forum" With such an innovation, i declare Nairaland "The Only One". I am proud to be part of this community of great minds and pace setters! *Hit'em up*

1 Like

Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by chucky234(m): 8:45pm On Oct 09, 2012
Odunnu: If Ibime is serious about being a judge, I nominate him.
Violent is level headed too and would do better as a judge.
Odunnu haba,how you go say persin wey dey bear "Violent" which also translate to Nsogbu in Igbo,wahala in Yoruba as been level headed.
Violent go kill all the debaters na,make Shymexxing no follow sha.
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Nobody: 8:46pm On Oct 09, 2012
The time has come for us to hit d nail on d head of our leaders. I am a constant fan of dis forum but neva register until i got dis topic. We must use dis forum to draw d attention of our Political figures to d hills in our dear country. I will like to volunteer myself to partake in d debate. I am a neutral Guy but concerned with present situation of d country. I hope we wil not abuse dis.
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by chucky234(m): 8:53pm On Oct 09, 2012
Jumong1: The time has come for us to hit d nail on d head of our leaders. I am a constant fan of dis forum but neva register until i got dis topic. We must use dis forum to draw d attention of our Political figures to d hills in our dear country. I will like to volunteer myself to partake in d debate. I am a neutral Guy but concerned with present situation of d country. I hope we wil not abuse dis.
Welcome on board bro

1 Like

Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Katsumoto: 8:56pm On Oct 09, 2012
Jarus:
That's actually the plan. At least 1 week notice. The topic and debaters shall be made known not earlier than 1 week and everyone looks forward to the 'Super Weekend'.

One week is too long a time. With one week, most posters can become 'experts' in a subject. There will be too much information making it difficult to judge. Announce the topic on a Friday and ask people to nominate themselves. Some debates will have high nominations while others will have low nominations. That shouldn't affect the quality of the debate. You will be surprised that some posters will even prepare rebuttals based on widely available articles. You want to judge posters based on their response times, quality of points, ability to respond to points being articulated by the opposition and references provided.

Just my opinion
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by johnsonerhis: 9:02pm On Oct 09, 2012
The moderators of this section have decided to introduce a monthly debate session as a way of raising the intellectual value of the section.

We are aware that debate goes on everyday here and indeed every thread is a debate, but the difference this would make is that it is going to be moderated and there shall be winners.

DATE:
We are proposing last Saturday and Sunday of every month (6-8pm Nigerian time, to be dubbed 'Weekend of Titans' or 'Political el-Classico' or any other fanciful name to add some colour to it)). First round on Saturday and final on Sunday. We are starting this October.

TOPIC:
The topic shall be drawn from contemporary political issues or any other topical issue. As much as possible, we shall avoid very sensitive and emotional topics.

DEBATERS
There shall be 4 debaters in each cycle (month), to be paired and the 2 winners slug it out at the finals. Debaters will be arrived at through voluntary indication of interest and/or nomination by members.

COORDINATORS
The Mods shall be coordinators and will not be part of the panel of judges.

JUDGES
We shall have a standing panel of 10 judges, nominated by members and mods. But only 5 shall be used in a round of debate. The 5 shall be arrived at based on their expertise on the subject, neutrality, non-connectedness to the topic etc. In choosing judges, consideration shall be given to posters known for their neutrality or middle-course approach to issues. e.g where Sanusi's CBN is being discussed, I cannot be part of Judges based on my history on NL.

My partner will come in to chip in more things.

Your input and opinion are welcomed in the meantine.

PRELIMINARY NOMINATION FOR JUDGES (to be pruned down to 10)
Nigerian (8 to be chosen)
1, PointB
2, Eziachi
3, Max siollun
4, Pukkah
5, e-Geurilla
6, Ajanlekoko
7, Paddy Lo
8, Northsap
9, Ufeolohun
10, Kilode
11, Rossik
12,Sagamite
13, Mikeansy
14, Akanbi Edu
15, Haka nai
16, HNOsegbe
17, Ballabriggs
18, Jason123
19,Edo girl
20, Sisi-skills
21, Coogar
22, Jomogbomo
23, Kobojunkie
24, Ogugua88
25, Odunnu
26, PhysicsQED
27, Afro_blue

Non-Nigerian (2 to be chosen)

TIMELINE: We shall reach a conclusion on Judges not later than Wednesday, October 10, so that we can begin discussion on October maiden edition. Datz a gud one, I have bn a silent observer 4 sum tym now but i Wish to present my self as one of d debaters if its ok by u. Cheers
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by acidtalk: 9:21pm On Oct 09, 2012
Thank God the whole bruhaha of who should be judge is over.
Now the main issue at hand. I MUST DEBATE oh! Because Jonah boy must to hear my voice for Aso Rock.
My blood is boiling.
My Muscles are Charging
My veins are stretching

I must to talk
And I must talk.

My voice must to be heard
Heard in far away Pluto.

Enough is Enough!!
We are tired of Religious and Ethnic Sentiments.
The ordinary man has a right.
A Right to speak and to be heard.
A Right to devidend of democracy because he voted.

I Must Talk!
'Cus my tongue is salivating.
Salivating to speak the truth.
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Jarus(m): 9:22pm On Oct 09, 2012
UNVEILING THE 10 WISE-MEN!!!

After 48 hours of extensive deliberation on and off this thread, taking into consideration popular opinion as well as our educated discretion, we have come up with this list as our Standing Pool of Judges:

1, COOGER: Cooger has been on Nairaland for more than 4 years and has been a valuable member of the forum, contributing to different topics in different sections. He brings to the table versatility and experience. He is also well-known for his command of the queen’s language

2, SISI_SKILL: Sisi_skill is well experienced in judging online debates, being on board of the panel of judges that successfully executed the Literary section debate in July 2012. She has been active on Nairaland for many years and understands the dynamics of the forum and psyche of the members.

3, AJANLEKOKO: Highly sought-after Ajanlekoko is Nairaland’s resident career consultant. He is a respected voice on many issues and not known for frivolities. We expect Ajanlekoko to bring to bear his acclaimed maturity and expertise in multi-disciplinary matters and critical thinking.

4, EZIACHI: Eziachi is a Nairaland veteran and one of the encyclopedias of Nigerian political history on Nairaland. He is a well-respected figure in this section. It is this rich background in political knowledge that Eziachi brings to the team.

5, PHYSICSQED: Physics is one of the most cerebral political analysts on Nairaland. He is also well known for his fact-based debating skills, a tool that will be useful as a judge in this programme.

6, E-GUERILLA: e-Guerilla is another well-respected intellectual on Nairaland. He adds to the team analytical depth.

7, IBIME: Ibime has been on Nairaland for more than 5 years and has continued to add value to debates from his repertoire of knowledge and experience. He brings balance to the team, as the other 9 wise men.

8, Ogugua88: Ogugua is well known for the logic of her analyses and presentation. She will be useful in spotting the logic of arguments in our monthly debates.

9, LONDONER: The lady from London is a leading intellectual on Nairaland, adding candour and colour to threads. We have so much confidence in her ability to dispassionately dissect arguments in his judgment.

10, TALINA: In my brief citation on the 9 judges above we have left out their tribe and region of origin for obvious reasons, but we are safe to introduce Talina as a Canadian. Talina brings international flavour and insight into the team.

We do hope our judges will justify the confidence reposed in them as unbiased umpires.

Ladies and gentlemen, join me in wishing these TEN-WISE MEN success in the assignment.

3 Likes

Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by ektbear: 9:23pm On Oct 09, 2012
Ogugua88 na woman cheesy

1 Like

Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by johnsonerhis: 9:23pm On Oct 09, 2012
Am presenting my self one of d debaters for ur kind consideration pls. Am an active follower of happenings in dis country with a passion for +ve change, just hope dis will be handled with all d seriousness it deserves . Cheers
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by alienvirus: 9:31pm On Oct 09, 2012
Welcome guys! However, I would have nominated Beaf : Billiyonnaire and DK
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by solomon111(m): 9:35pm On Oct 09, 2012
Interesting concept.
I am not particularly comfortable with some of the judges though.
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by jmaine: 9:36pm On Oct 09, 2012
Londoner na lady oo! cheesy
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Jarus(m): 9:48pm On Oct 09, 2012
My partner, OAM4J, will be unveiling the modalities and judging criteria before end of tomorrow or Thursday. Thereafter, we shall discuss topic and debaters for October maiden edition.
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Ademab(m): 10:06pm On Oct 09, 2012
I'm in. I think I'm interested in intellectual n constructive debates and not some form of ethnocentric barbaric arguement. Let us rise up to the challenge and make nigeria a better place. Kudos to the initiator of this tread.
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Odunnu: 10:09pm On Oct 09, 2012
Good choices.
We trust your judgement.
Hmmm, last saturday now seem so faraway.
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Nobody: 10:24pm On Oct 09, 2012
taharqa: Pukkah as a judge? You are kidding right? I also think that Sisi-kill shld pass

Yes Pukkah...state exactly what you have against the nomination rather than asking if am kidding or not.
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Nobody: 10:34pm On Oct 09, 2012
Jarus: UNVEILING THE 10 WISE-MEN!!!

After 48 hours of extensive deliberation on and off this thread, taking into consideration popular opinion as well as our educated discretion, we have come up with this list as our Standing Pool of Judges:

1, COOGER: Cooger has been on Nairaland for more than 4 years and has been a valuable member of the forum, contributing to different topics in different sections. He brings to the table versatility and experience. He is also well-known for his command of the queen’s language

2, SISI_SKILL: Sisi_skill is well experienced in judging online debates, being on board of the panel of judges that successfully executed the Literary section debate in July 2012. She has been active on Nairaland for many years and understands the dynamics of the forum and psyche of the members.

3, AJANLEKOKO: Highly sought-after Ajanlekoko is Nairaland’s resident career consultant. He is a respected voice on many issues and not known for frivolities. We expect Ajanlekoko to bring to bear his acclaimed maturity and expertise in multi-disciplinary matters and critical thinking.

4, EZIACHI: Eziachi is a Nairaland veteran and one of the encyclopedias of Nigerian political history on Nairaland. He is a well-respected figure in this section. It is this rich background in political knowledge that Eziachi brings to the team.

5, PHYSICSQED: Physics is one of the most cerebral political analysts on Nairaland. He is also well known for his fact-based debating skills, a tool that will be useful as a judge in this programme.

6, E-GUERILLA: e-Guerilla is another well-respected intellectual on Nairaland. He adds to the team analytical depth.

7, IBIME: Ibime has been on Nairaland for more than 5 years and has continued to add value to debates from his repertoire of knowledge and experience. He brings balance to the team, as the other 9 wise men.

8, Ogugua88: Ogugua is well known for the logic of her analyses and presentation. She will be useful in spotting the logic of arguments in our monthly debates.

9, LONDONER: The lady from London is a leading intellectual on Nairaland, adding candour and colour to threads. We have so much confidence in her ability to dispassionately dissect arguments in his judgment.

10, TALINA: In my brief citation on the 9 judges above we have left out their tribe and region of origin for obvious reasons, but we are safe to introduce Talina as a Canadian. Talina brings international flavour and insight into the team.

We do hope our judges will justify the confidence reposed in them as unbiased umpires.

Ladies and gentlemen, join me in wishing these TEN-WISE MEN success in the assignment.

Quiet a balanced mix...nice job Mods!
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Ibime(m): 10:49pm On Oct 09, 2012
Do we have set criteria for judging?

Some people like debaters who present well constructed facts whilst others like debaters who use a lot of obahiagbonisms
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Nobody: 10:50pm On Oct 09, 2012
skybancss.... you've just earned yourself a ban!

pyguru doesn't work when you expect it to!
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by jmaine: 11:00pm On Oct 09, 2012
Ibime: Do we have set criteria for judging?

Some people like debaters who present well constructed facts whilst others like debaters who use a lot of obahiagbonisms

Na question be this ? undecided . . . . .You suppose sabi standardized level na . . . .This your question no follow abeg smiley . . . .
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Jarus(m): 11:03pm On Oct 09, 2012
Ibime: Do we have set criteria for judging?

Sure. OAM4J will roll out the judging criteria tomorrow.
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Ibime(m): 11:11pm On Oct 09, 2012
jmaine:

Na question be this ? undecided . . . . .You suppose sabi standardized level na . . . .This your question no follow abeg smiley . . . .

Which one be standardised level. O boy e done reach 15 years wey man been dey literal and debating society for school. Make una send me the criteria sharp sharp make I reacquaint myself with the parameters before I let down the whole process. Lolz

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (37) (Reply)

PDP Merges With Over 30 Others, Form Mega Party (CUPP) / Biafra: What Senate Will Do About Military Action On Nnamdi Kanu, IPOB – Saraki / More photos of Buhari swearing in New CJN, Muhammed Tanko

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.