Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,412 members, 7,954,644 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 04:20 AM

NL Monthly Political Debate - Politics (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / NL Monthly Political Debate (50679 Views)

Ifeanyi Uba Caught Cheating In Anambra Political Debate. / 1914 Amalgamation - A Historical Mistake? : Nairaland Political Debate / Gov Orji Walks Out Of Political Debate!can It Affect His Election? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (37) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Jarus(m): 10:09pm On Oct 10, 2012
dayokanu: After the debates, Can the floor be thrown open to insult people? If yes can you pencil down my name for that section

Emi Okunrin mewa,

Ogboju le oogun so omo aje niko. Eni ko o mo, Eni mo o ko,

O mu ida sile o fi ogun enu pani (He that put down the sword and used words to kill) grin cheesy

Don't worry, it's only when the debate is on that the floor will be available only for the debaters, coordinators and judges. After declaration of results and judges packing their notes, the floor can be declared open for the bench throwers and operation wetie grin

1 Like

Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Nobody: 11:29pm On Oct 10, 2012
Jarus:

Don't worry, it's only when the debate is on that the floor will be available only for the debaters, coordinators and judges. After declaration of results and judges packing their notes, the floor can be declared open for the bench throwers and operation wetie grin

grin grin grin

Seriously though, since the debate will take place on a weekend, I might be interested in participating. I'm relishing the prospect of engaging in an intellectually stimulating discourse with NL eggheads, free of annoying and diversionary diatribes as well as unreasonable tribal/ethnic bias. Sign me up!!! cheesy cool
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by coogar: 12:04am On Oct 11, 2012
Jarus:
1, COOGER: Cooger has been on Nairaland for more than 4 years and has been a valuable member of the forum, contributing to different topics in different sections. He brings to the table versatility and experience. He is also well-known for his command of the queen’s language

hahahahaha - i can't take the credit, english language is not my invention. that credit belongs to a certain gbongan citizen widely known as debosky! grin
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Johndoe100(m): 2:50am On Oct 11, 2012
I am loving this. An UNBIASED debate, organized by haters, judged by haters, and debated by haters. What could be fairer than that? Let me guess, the topics will mainly be about.........the state of the nation.
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Gbawe: 7:24am On Oct 11, 2012
Johndoe100: I am loving this. An UNBIASED debate, organized by haters, judged by haters, and debated by haters. What could be fairer than that? Let me guess, the topics will mainly be about.........the state of the nation.

No .... folks will debate Ukranian politics and American celebrities.
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Zutchy: 8:33am On Oct 11, 2012
Gbawe:

LMFAO
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Zutchy: 8:43am On Oct 11, 2012
Nice one indeed,this forum could Indeed be a powerful tool to be used to demand for accountability from our leaders,I look forward to the debates.
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by PointB: 8:50am On Oct 11, 2012
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by PointB: 8:51am On Oct 11, 2012
Johndoe100: I am loving this. An UNBIASED debate, organized by haters, judged by haters, and debated by haters. What could be fairer than that? Let me guess, the topics will mainly be about.........the state of the nation.
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Odunnu: 9:58am On Oct 11, 2012
Gbawe:

ROFLMAO
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Jarus(m): 11:05am On Oct 11, 2012
PROCEDURE IN 5 STAGES

1, Choosing of topics
2, Choosing of debaters
3, Choosing of 5 judges from our pool of 10
4, Debate proper
5, Post-debate discussions

NOTE: All planning(steps 1-3) will be taking place in this mother-thread, but special dedicated thread shall be opened for each debate, to be opened few hours to debate. W

1, CHOOSING OF TOPICS
This shall be thrown open, suggestions taken from everyone, and topics arrived at by consensus. Topical and developmental issues shall be given preference. 2 topics shall be arrived at, one for first round, another for final. Or same subject but different angles as points of debate in first round and final.

2, CHOOSING OF DEBATERS
This can be by voluntary indication of interest and/or nomination by another member. At the end of the day, we shall settle for 4 debaters for each cycle(month). Topic will also play a role in settling for debaters.

3,CHOOSING OF 5 JUDGES
We shall contact all the 10 judges and confirm their availability on the debate day. If we have positive answer from more than 5, we shall use our discretion to settle for 5. Rotation will also be considered.

4, DEBATE PROPER
Debate thread shall be opened at least 3 hours to the commencement, where the rules, brief Nairaland citation of debaters, list of judges, shall be posted. The thread will then be locked till 5 minutes to start of debate when the coordinators shall declare the debate open. The debaters can then post their arguments within 20 minutes. Then, the debaters will be given another 20 minutes to take on one another, fault opponents arguments etc. Then another 20 minutes for judges to throw their questions at each of the debaters and debaters to respond. Then we shall take 1 question from audience(viewers) based on first post, first recognized basis. Note that the viewer/audience rep is only to ask question and not endorse/fault an argument.

While the debate is going on, any comment other than from debaters, coordinators and judges shall be hidden and the poster risks 2 hours ban from Politics section. When it's time to take a question from 1 viewer/audience, the coordinator will announce.

Then the judges will compile their results and email to the coordinators, who will aggregate and announce the results on the thread.

We expect the exercise to take between 2-3 hours.

5, POST-DEBATE
Then the thread shall be declared open for regular Nairaland discussion and comments.

1 Like

Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Jarus(m): 11:06am On Oct 11, 2012
Space reserved for judging criteria
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 12:20pm On Oct 11, 2012
@Jarus.. brilliant methodical procedure right there. once stickied. it should make for excellent reference material. at least for majority of Nlers who do not want to go through the rigor of an intellectual debate. easily digested. opinions of Nlers are better informed. this is absolutely brilliant
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by taharqa: 2:54pm On Oct 11, 2012
ilugunboy:

Yes Pukkah...state exactly what you have against the nomination rather than asking if am kidding or not.
I was thinking of torkata, not pukkah. Comment withdrawn

1 Like

Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Nobody: 3:08pm On Oct 11, 2012
Well done, Jarus. I have nothing to add.
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Nobody: 3:14pm On Oct 11, 2012
Gbawe:

Thank you for your vote of confidence but I already disqualified myself very early on in the process. The chosen judges are excellent choices. All are good people in my opinion. The main thing is to thank the mod for this initiative. Whether we appreciate it or not, Nairaland is like Nigeria. If efforts are not made to deliver change then the status quo continues.

@Jarus and OAM4J.

Good choice guys. It is only Talina I do not know but all others you chose are Nairalanders who conduct themselves admirably on this forum. Una do well.

Oh well, the decision is yours.

I still think you should be a Judge though. I mean if you really want to make an impact in Nigeria, you should't be truning down these opportunities (as little as it seems). You are still the most objective poster I know in this section and I think we need people like you judging the debate. . . .
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by taharqa: 3:25pm On Oct 11, 2012
Jarus: For the maiden edition, I propose we have our Politics section posters of the years 2010 and 2011 and their runners-up as debaters.

These are
Ekt_bear (2010 PS POtY)
Katsumoto (Runner-up)
Gbawe (2011 PS POtY)
Onlytruth (Runner-up)

What do you guys think?
I hope you know there is a huge problem here. Lets not kid ourselves, if there is going to be a debate on NL in d politics section it would eventually be about what the present admin is doing or not doing. And when you hv someone like Gbawe as a participant in such a debate, another debater with a somewhat opposing view-set should also participate. A debate where a particular view is favourd from the outset is no debate..... You guys must be commended however for this great move, as it would raise the degree of intellectual discourse and d use of FACTS whilst having such discourse in NL- something that is unfortunately increasingly becoming rare on this forum. We must bring that back cos that is the only way we may make sense of the present happenings in our beloved nation. Again, great job.
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Johndoe100(m): 3:41pm On Oct 11, 2012
taharqa: [size=18pt]I hope you know there is a huge problem here. Lets not kid ourselves, if there is going to be a debate on NL in d politics section it would eventually be about what the present admin is doing or not doing. And when you hv someone like Gbawe as a participant in such a debate, another debater with a somewhat opposing view-set should also participate. A debate where a particular view is favourd from the outset is no debate.....[/size]

You mean bias is bad?? Whatever gave you that idea. Let's all pretend that we don't know where this is going.
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 3:59pm On Oct 11, 2012
There is a strong contention for bias especially among the judges who lean towards a political group or learning. It is our deepest hope that they will put aside these obvious bias and objectively debate with balance of ideals in mind. imagine @Gbawe and @Beaf in agreement with some people-centric ACN plans grin grin
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Johndoe100(m): 4:03pm On Oct 11, 2012
This debate is like a three dollar bill. If we are to have a debate why can't we have some honest judges? I nominate myself, IFIHEARAM, BILLYONAIRE, D-EXPLORER,
WEREPERI, MANDALAGUY (I hope this is how his moniker is spelt)and any other patriotic member.
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 4:12pm On Oct 11, 2012
Johndoe100: This debate is like a three dollar bill. If we are to have a debate why can't we have some honest judges? I nominate myself, IFIHEARAM, BILLYONAIRE, D-EXPLORER,
WEREPERI, MANDALAGUY (I hope this is how his moniker is spelt)and any other patriotic member.

BILLYONAIRE, D-EXPLORER, seems like double-counting wink
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Jarus(m): 4:13pm On Oct 11, 2012
lagerwhenindoubt: There is a strong contention for bias especially among the judges who lean towards a political group or learning. It is our deepest hope that they will put aside these obvious bias and objectively debate with balance of ideals in mind. imagine @Gbawe and @Beaf in agreement with some people-centric ACN plans grin grin

We recognized that, but I think the risk is very low, given;

1, Judges were carefully selected and a good number of forumers have confidence in them

2, From all the comments, judges will naturally want to be seen as doing objective job. Settling for them of the lot is a vote for their ability. With the nice words about them, I don't think anyone would want to disappoint, even in practically inconsequential online debate like this.

3, Diversity - This is the most assuring point. 5 judges, spread in different parts of the world, with different worldviews, cannot all be wrong. These guys are not known for a single line of opinion. Nobody can, in one sentence, summarize what they share in common. e.g if you have Dayokanu and Gbawe in a team, you can tell what they share in common, same if you have a team of 5 with Billyonaire, Beaf etc, you can tell what they have in common. For our team of judges, no common denominator in ideology and viewpoints. This diversity will be helpful in reaching objective conclusion. After all, we are going to aggregate their scores for each debater and average it.

Worst case scenario is having one or two biased, but their bias will easily be evened out or rendered insignificant when the other objective 3's scoring/judgement are averaged with it. If 2 biased judges score someone 4 over 5, and the objective ones scored the person 2, the average comes to 2.8, which is not significantly different from teh objective score of 2.
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Johndoe100(m): 4:34pm On Oct 11, 2012
Jarus:

We recognized that, but I think the risk is very low, given;

1, Judges were carefully selected and a good number of forumers have confidence in them

2, From all the comments, judges will naturally want to be seen as doing objective job. Settling for them of the lot is a vote for their ability. With the nice words about them, I don't think anyone would want to disappoint, even in practically inconsequential online debate like this.

3, Diversity - This is the most assuring point. 5 judges, spread in different parts of the world, with different worldviews, cannot all be wrong. These guys are not known for a single line of opinion. Nobody can, in one sentence, summarize what they share in common. e.g if you have Dayokanu and Gbawe in a team, you can tell what they share in common, same if you have a team of 5 with Billyonaire, Beaf etc, you can tell what they have in common. For our team of judges, no common denominator in ideology and viewpoints. This diversity will be helpful in reaching objective conclusion. After all, we are going to aggregate their scores for each debater and average it.

Worst case scenario is having one or two biased, but their bias will easily be evened out or rendered insignificant when the other objective 3's scoring/judgement are averaged with it. If 2 biased judges score someone 4 over 5, and the objective ones scored the person 2, the average comes to 2.8, which is not significantly different from teh objective score of 2.

Who are the honest judges? I have given you a list choose from. We the members (to bad you don't get to decide who the members are is it not) want anyone on the list. This will give your "debate" some credibility. By the way was this debate the idea of one of your opposition friends? As an aside this is something I have always found fascinating about this politics board. Are you the mod for ALL the members or just those you like?
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Jarus(m): 4:50pm On Oct 11, 2012
Johndoe100:

Who are the honest judges? I have given you a list choose from. We the members (to bad you don't get to decide who the members are is it not) want anyone on the list. This will give your "debate" some credibility. By the way was this debate the idea of one of your opposition friends? As an aside this is something I have always found fascinating about this politics board. Are you the mod for ALL the members or just those you like?
If I say I understood what you wrote up here, I will be deceiving you.

1 Like

Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by coogar: 4:55pm On Oct 11, 2012
Jarus:

professor jarus - i got your message and i'm in!!!
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Johndoe100(m): 4:57pm On Oct 11, 2012
Jarus:

Quite simple really. We patriotic members feel you lean towards those opposition members (enemies of progress if you ask me). We wonder if the debate was conceived as a way to forward the interest of the opposition's viewpoint. You have an excellent opportunity to prove us wrong by including some of our nominees as judges and debaters in this debate of yours.
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Jarus(m): 5:03pm On Oct 11, 2012
Johndoe100:

Quite simple really. We patriotic members feel you lean towards those opposition members (enemies of progress if you ask me). We wonder if the debate was conceived as a way to forward the interest of the opposition's viewpoint. You have an excellent opportunity to prove us wrong by including some of our nominees as judges and debaters in this debate of yours.

We spent 2 days to arrive at this team of judges but you didn't show up here while that was going on.

Two, can you tell me which of our panel members is an 'opposition member'. And I know you're too smart to say a person becomes an 'opposition member' just because he had had cause to disagree with you or your political leaning in the past. Name which of those guys is known for opposition to your political leaning.
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Nobody: 5:07pm On Oct 11, 2012
Johndoe100: This debate is like a three dollar bill. If we are to have a debate why can't we have some honest judges? I nominate myself, IFIHEARAM, BILLYONAIRE, D-EXPLORER,

And what is your definition of "patriotic"?
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Gboliwe: 5:20pm On Oct 11, 2012
Good choices in the judges.
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Katsumoto: 5:25pm On Oct 11, 2012
Only one whose objective is to fix debates will complain about judges that a majority have agreed to as being balanced and without party affiliation. And then subsequently nominate himself along with those known to have the same party affiliations.

1 Like

Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Gbawe: 6:14pm On Oct 11, 2012
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Gbawe: 6:14pm On Oct 11, 2012
@Johndoe.

Drop this show of vacuous anarchy. No one likes a diva acting up for the sake of it alone. Go and eat your snickers or something.The judges are people liked and respected here. When they were conducting themselves well and getting noticed for their good conduct and character, you were busy insulting others and calling them unprintable names. Now you are sounding off for nothing and breaching the peace. Guy, go and find something to do. The judges have been chosen. If you don't like it, start your own debate initiative. Simple.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (37) (Reply)

When The Inspector General Is Your Friend (hilarious Photos) / Buhari Did Not Lie About My Father - Ojukwu's Son / PDP Presidential Campaign Rally In Enugu With Atiku And Peter Obi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.