Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,659 members, 7,955,390 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 02:20 AM

NL Monthly Political Debate - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / NL Monthly Political Debate (50684 Views)

Ifeanyi Uba Caught Cheating In Anambra Political Debate. / 1914 Amalgamation - A Historical Mistake? : Nairaland Political Debate / Gov Orji Walks Out Of Political Debate!can It Affect His Election? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (37) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by aljharem(m): 10:45am On Oct 09, 2012
na wa o, this PointB aka Ezeuche is too unrefined grin grin
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 10:49am On Oct 09, 2012
I think this has gone long enough - Judges will not create a balance in discourse as long as they have Socio-political Affiliations and Socio-political Ideals. what we need is a scribe to turn all purposeful threads into a Case Study. Judges will simply devolve into a scenario where a whole lot of chairs will be brought into the discussion grin
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Nobody: 10:55am On Oct 09, 2012
Lolzzzzzz.....I Know there will be back and forth argument on arriving at a consensus for the next 5 pages....

1. Katsumoto
2. PointB
3. Pukkah
4. Coogar
5. Kobojunkie
6. Eziachi
7. Haka nai
8. Akanbi edu

Wee just need to get the right mix and balance

.....If we are to look at it, people will always find reason(s) why someone should not be on the list purely out of previous nasty encounter.
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Jarus(m): 11:17am On Oct 09, 2012
I'm liking this idea of having both Katsumoto and PointB on the panel, to neutralize two extreme points of views on politics section. Or do you guys think the exercise is better off leaving both of them out?
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Gbawe: 11:17am On Oct 09, 2012
lagerwhenindoubt: I think this has gone long enough - Judges will not create a balance in discourse as long as they have Socio-political Affiliations and Socio-political Ideals. what we need is a scribe to turn all purposeful threads into a Case Study. Judges will simply devolve into a scenario where a whole lot of chairs will be brought into the discussion grin

Not a bad idea but debates still need judges. The idea of Judges cannot be discarded because of their socio-political leanings. It is impossible to gain judges without a point of view either way. What judges should do , as much as possible, is put personal opinion asides to look at the arguments.

This is the whole point of selecting Nairalanders who, from their writing here, show they can do that. There are Nairalands who have passionate and strong views yet can be trusted to be fair in my opinion. Also, Judges can give scores to debaters and indicate precise strengths and weaknesses of argument. that way, we get to note the thinking of judges.

Debates are enjoyable and educational if decorum is good ... and mods can ensure civility anyway by 'sitting in attendance'. What you suggest can still happen separate to a debate.
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Nobody: 11:24am On Oct 09, 2012
Jarus: I'm liking this idea of having both Katsumoto and PointB on the panel, to neutralize two extreme points of views on politics section. Or do you guys think the exercise is better off leaving both of them out?

That is the reason I added both of them:

It will give the two of them at a point to cross-check notes and at the same time give the debaters some kind of sense of representation on the panel of judges.
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Katsumoto: 12:13pm On Oct 09, 2012
@ jarus and ilugunboy

I am unsure of how you have defined extreme points of view. I also do not regularly debate with PointB. Can you elucidate further please? Thanks

1 Like

Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Afam4eva(m): 12:15pm On Oct 09, 2012
Katsumoto: @ jarus and ilugunboy

I am unsure of how you have defined extreme points of view. I also do not regularly debate with PointB. Can you elucidate further please? Thanks
You're Yorucentric in your debates while PoinB is equally Igbocentric. I guess that's what he means.
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Jarus(m): 12:25pm On Oct 09, 2012

Even after the 'debate' on this thread? cheesy
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Nobody: 12:30pm On Oct 09, 2012

Well....on a personal note, the truth is I will prefer you to be on that panel to serve as a check as usual for some folks that revels in history revisionism..your presence always keep some people in check ..*winks*

For PointB...I just want him to represent some other views that may not find home with your own views...

It's my personal opinion though.
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Gbawe: 12:37pm On Oct 09, 2012
Jarus: I'm liking this idea of having both Katsumoto and PointB on the panel, to neutralize two extreme points of views on politics section. Or do you guys think the exercise is better off leaving both of them out?

Jarus, it should simply be about Nairalanders who are civil, rational and that most members of the forum don't have issues with. That is what you stated you would do originally. If you noticed, I deferred to Afam4eva's point that me and others should not be judges. There are many Nairalanders like e-guerilla, Eziachi, Akanbi Edu, Ogugua88, kilode, Sky Blue, pukkah, PhysicsQED, edo Girl, Ajanlokoko, Paddy Lo, Northsharp, HNosegbe, Coogar, Mikeansy, Sisi Skills et al liked by everyone. Why would you want to replace those likeable and fair-minded people because of the notion you are "neutralizing" extreme opinions? The very point of selecting judges is ensuring they should not have extreme opinions so that they can look at the opinions of others dispassionately.
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Akanbiedu(m): 12:37pm On Oct 09, 2012
ilugunboy:

Well....on a personal note, the truth is I will prefer you to be on that panel to serve as a check as usual for some folks that revels in history revisionism..your presence always keep some people in check ..*winks*

For PointB...I just want him to represent some other views that may not find home with your own views...

It's my personal opinion though.

The duty of a judge will not be to check revisionists. Judges will only need to arrive at a judgement based largely on what is presented by debaters and not his/her personal opinion on that particular debate.
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Katsumoto: 12:38pm On Oct 09, 2012
@ ilungunboy

Ok

@ jarus

You are not serious grin . That was for Kilode.
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Jarus(m): 12:41pm On Oct 09, 2012
Gbawe:

Jarus, it should simply be about Nairalanders who are civil, rational and that most members of the forum don't have issues with. That is what you stated you would do originally. If you noticed, I deferred to Afam4eva's point that me and others should not be judges. There are many Nairalanders like e-guerilla, Eziachi, Ogugua88, kilode, Sky Blue, pukkah, PhysicsQED, edo Girl, Ajanlokoko, Paddy Lo, Northsharp, HNosegbe, Coogar, Mikeansy, Sisi Skills et al liked by everyone. Why would you want to replace those likeable and fair-minded people because of the notion you are "neutralizing" extreme opinions? The very point of selecting judges is ensuring they should not have extreme opinions so that they can look at the opinions of others dispassionately.
Noted. Thanks.

We already have a mental picture of FINAL TEN, but we still want more scrutiny, to guide review of our initial selection.

We will unveil the Panel of Judges tomorrow.
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Afam4eva(m): 12:45pm On Oct 09, 2012
Jarus:
Noted. Thanks.

We already have a mental picture of FINAL TEN, but we still want more scrutiny, to guide review of our initial selection.

Also have in mind the availability of these mods. Most of the people proposed are don't frequent Nairaland often.
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Gbawe: 12:54pm On Oct 09, 2012
afam4eva:
Also have in mind the availability of these mods. Most of the people proposed are don't frequent Nairaland often.

It is a once a month debate. They don't have to be on NL daily. If they have not left NL completely, then they will probably be able to be here on a day , perhaps one in the weekend, designated for debate.
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Nobody: 1:04pm On Oct 09, 2012
Gbawe:

Jarus, it should simply be about Nairalanders who are civil, rational and that most members of the forum don't have issues with. That is what you stated you would do originally. If you noticed, I deferred to Afam4eva's point that me and others should not be judges. There are many Nairalanders like e-guerilla, Eziachi, Akanbi Edu, Ogugua88, kilode, Sky Blue, pukkah, PhysicsQED, edo Girl, Ajanlokoko, Paddy Lo, Northsharp, HNosegbe, Coogar, Mikeansy, Sisi Skills et al liked by everyone. Why would you want to replace those likeable and fair-minded people because of the notion you are "neutralizing" extreme opinions? The very point of selecting judges is ensuring they should not have extreme opinions so that they can look at the opinions of others dispassionately.

That guy in bold at a point derailed and joined the band of people with extreme views..besides he has been off from N/L lately.

PhysicsQED in my opinion will also do justice to such assignment...dude is highly cerebral grin grin

Pukkah"s cool mien will also be valuable....

Well...at the end of the day..it will boil down to the mods call.
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Nobody: 1:09pm On Oct 09, 2012
Akanbi_edu:
The duty of a judge will not be to check revisionists. Judges will only need to arrive at a judgement based largely on what is presented by debaters and not his/her personal opinion on that particular debate.

Yes you are on point...but sometimes the presence of such a person alone can serve as a deterrence. cheesy cheesy
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Demdem(m): 1:09pm On Oct 09, 2012
i wonder why its only my post that gets hidden. I think the mods hate me undecided undecided cry cry cry

1 Like

Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Gbawe: 1:33pm On Oct 09, 2012
ilugunboy:

That guy in bold at a point derailed and joined the band of people with extreme views..besides he has been off from N/L lately.

PhysicsQED in my opinion will also do justice to such assignment...dude is highly cerebral grin grin

Pukkah"s cool mien will also be valuable....

Well...at the end of the day..it will boil down to the mods call.

Well, I did not notice that about Mikeansy. You are right about PhysicsQED and pukkah. Both will do well.

3 Likes

Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by PointB: 1:54pm On Oct 09, 2012
Jarus:
Noted. Thanks.

Jarus, do what you think is right. There is none one here without vested interest in politics or others stuff; that they have not shown it is a different ball game. Let not the personal whims and caprices of some old hypocrite derail you from your noble idea. The old man, may write a million words a minute, but that does not in anyway make him a majority opinion here, so if anyone's opinion can be discounted so could his.

In any case, I am not desperate to be on any panel, nor debate with anyone. Myself nomination is simple to ruffle a few feathers and test the depth of resentment by some I have bested in battle of wits and guile. Personally, I am not into pseudo-intellectualism prevalent on Nairaland, promoted solely intellectual quacks, and paid hacks, whose only source of 'kicks' is sounding off. Anyone who think himself intellectual, should publish their work, it's as simple as that.

In any case, I don't habour extreme view, and it is disingenuous to regard ferocious counter-attacks, aimed at delivery silencing blows as extreme, as often the case with some of the propagandist and extremists from the other side. Anyone who doesn't like my way, and manner of approach should refer to Nairaland Rules, or report me to the Admins or MODs. I offer, and will offer no apology. I make no commitment to change, as I matter of fact I can only get 'better' at things I do best. Leopard spots, never change.

My attacks against Tinubu and his NL paid goons (the Resident Hypocrite, by #1) will continue indefinitely. And any Yoruba poster who revel, and rejoice at the massacre of Igbos in the North, while paying no heed to Yoruba's casualty, will be promptly reminded by me that he/she has invariably declared 'Yorubas blood as cheap.' Now that is PointB, and I make no apologies, ever, for me.

So Jarus, whether you make me part of your panel or not changes nothing. I am not desperate to be part of the debate, nor will I withdraw my self nomination, but I wont make it easy for you to select me. You have to think through you decision, and be your own man!

#Kilode is not liked by all. He is an ACN goon!

1 Like

Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Jarus(m): 2:02pm On Oct 09, 2012
We are currently putting finishing touches to our list of Judges.

Pls we want nominations for non-Nigerian Nairalanders.
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Jarus(m): 2:06pm On Oct 09, 2012
PointB:

Jarus, do what you think is right. There is none one here without vested interest in politics or others stuff; that they have not shown it is a different ball game. Let not the personal whims and caprices of some old hypocrite derail you from your noble idea. The old man, may write a million words a minute, but that does not in anyway make him a majority opinion here, so if anyone's opinion can be discounted so could his.

In any case, I am not desperate to be on any panel, nor debate with anyone. Myself nomination is simple to ruffle a few feathers and test the depth of resentment by some I have bested in battle of wits and guile. Personally, I am not into pseudo-intellectualism prevalent on Nairaland, promoted solely intellectual quacks, and paid hacks, whose only source of 'kicks' is sounding off. Anyone who think himself intellectual, should publish their work, it's as simple as that.

In any case, I don't habour extreme view, and it is disingenuous to regard ferocious counter-attacks, aimed at delivery silencing blows as extreme, as often the case with some of the propagandist and extremists from the other side. Anyone who doesn't like my way, and manner of approach should refer to Nairaland Rules, or report me to the Admins or MODs. I offer, and will offer no apology. I make no commitment to change, as I matter of fact I can only get 'better' at things I do best. Leopard spots, never change.

My attacks against Tinubu and his NL paid goons (the Resident Hypocrite, by #1) will continue indefinitely. And any Yoruba poster who revel, and rejoice at the massacre of Igbos in the North, while paying no heed to Yoruba's casualty, will be promptly reminded by me that he/she has invariably declared 'Yorubas blood as cheap.' Now that is PointB, and I make no apologies, ever, for me.

So Jarus, whether you make me part of your panel or not changes nothing. I am not desperate to be part of the debate, nor will I withdraw my self nomination, but I wont make it easy for you to select me. You have to think through you decision, and be your own man!

#Kilode is not liked by all. He is an ACN goon!
Noted. Thanks.
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by jmaine: 2:26pm On Oct 09, 2012
Again . . . Londoner should be on the judges list . . . .

2 Likes

Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by ektbear: 2:31pm On Oct 09, 2012
I'm not even convinced that Kilode likes the ACN. Let alone is a goon for them.

He is/was mostly anti-PDP.
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by ektbear: 2:32pm On Oct 09, 2012
cheikh for the non-Nigerians?

1 Like

Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Nobody: 2:50pm On Oct 09, 2012
ekt_bear: cheikh for the non-Nigerians?
Which nationality is he/her?
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by OAM4J: 2:51pm On Oct 09, 2012

They are better as debaters. See people asking if we started the debate already, thanks to them cheesy
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Katsumoto: 3:03pm On Oct 09, 2012
OAM4J:

They are better as debaters. See people asking if we started the debate already, thanks to them cheesy

OAM4J and Jarus,

You chaps are asking for trouble. grin

I also want collect bribe as a judge. Please stop trying to exclude me. Kilode gon.

I can also be considered as a foreigner despite my 'yorucentricness' (thanks Afam4eva). grin grin grin
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Nobody: 3:35pm On Oct 09, 2012
Come....is there any monetary benefit as a panel member? If so, I nominate myself too then! grin

We chop the N/Land money together!
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Katsumoto: 3:41pm On Oct 09, 2012
ilugunboy: Come....is there any monetary benefit as a panel member? If so, I nominate myself too then! grin

We chop the N/Land money together!

It's too late for you. Constitution of panel of judges is now closed. You have to wait for someone to retire in 2037. grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (37) (Reply)

Don’t Mislead Christians, APC Cautions Deeper Life / Fulanis Pray At Usmanu Danfodio Graveside In Sokoto (Photos) / Policemen Killed In Emmanuel Agbadu Akabe, Nasarawa Deputy Governor’s Ambush

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.