Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,758 members, 7,820,643 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:40 PM

Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 (20202 Views)

What Percent Performance Will You Give GEJ For 2012? / Onaiyekan, Sultan Nominated For 2012 Nobel Peace Prize / Shocking Predictions By Primate Elijah Ayodele For 2012/2013... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Go Down)

Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by TechRev: 11:37am On Dec 19, 2012
Professor Chinua Achebe’s latest book, “There Was A Country: A Personal History of Biafra”, is among books listed on the IOS Books of the Year, 2012.

The book adjudged as one of the best in the biography and memoir category by the international organization, despite generating lots of controversies and debates at home, was described on The Independent (London) as “the book that we’ve been waiting for since 1967, and the start of the Biafran War”.

“In an era in which memoirs seem mostly to be written by young celebrities with nothing to say, how refreshing that this year’s best examples are genuinely long-awaited life stories from those who know life, and a story, when they see it. There Was a Country: A Personal History of Biafra by Chinua Achebe (Allen Lane, £20) really is the book that we’ve been waiting for since 1967, and the start of the Biafran War”.

Achebe’s book was further noted as, “the first non-fiction account of that period from the author of the novel “Things Fall Apart”, and as such takes a measured, long view of a confusing and ultimately pretty futile conflict”.

This long-awaited memoir of Prof Achebe’s experiences of the 1967-1970 Biafran war although is clearly stated, is his personal “account of coming of age during one of the 20th century’s greatest humanitarian disasters”, has received so much criticism in Nigeria.

Continuing, the report pointed out that, “Though Achebe is known as the ‘father of modern African literature’, and made his name writing about the history of Nigeria, this is the first time that he has directly addressed in his writing, the civil war which was the defining experience of his own life and his country’s recent history.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/12/achebes-memoir-on-biafran-listed-on-2012-ios-best-books/

Now what are we not saying??

24 Likes

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by GARRIx7(m): 12:13pm On Dec 19, 2012
"Book of LIES"........
"Book of BITTERNESS"......
"Book of BIGOTRY".......
"Book of HATRED"

ACHEBE AND HIS BOOK BELONG TO THE HALL OF SHAME

11 Likes

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by tawa89(f): 12:24pm On Dec 19, 2012
[quote author=GARRI (x7)][/quote]lol your name is Garri. What do ​you know?

30 Likes

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by GARRIx7(m): 12:30pm On Dec 19, 2012
tawa89: lol your name is Garri. What do ​you know?
My Name is Garri (x7) and I know when a bitter old man tries to destroy the truth by raising wicked lies straight from the pit of hell...

1 Like

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by PROUDIGBO(m): 1:08pm On Dec 19, 2012
GARRI (x7):

My Name is Garri (x7) and I know when a bitter old man tries to destroy the truth by raising wicked lies straight from the pit of hell...

^^^Shut it, fool! Your ranting is childish and pathetic; if you feel so strongly about Profs' book, write your rebuttal and demand that it's listed on IOS best books for 2013.

55 Likes

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by GARRIx7(m): 1:15pm On Dec 19, 2012
PROUD-IGBO:

^^^Shut it, fool! Your ranting is childish and pathetic; if you feel so strongly about Profs' book, write your rebuttal and demand that it's listed on IOS best books for 2013.
Read it again, and I hope it kills you this time.... grin grin grin
GARRI (x7):

1 Like

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by PointB: 1:29pm On Dec 19, 2012
Achebe stands and will forever stand an international literary giant. When he speaks the world listen.

'There was a country' is a book, I will certainly read, and recommend to all those who seek knowledge about the Nigeria civil war and it's immediate aftermath. Thank you Prof for such lasting legacy of siding with the truth!

31 Likes

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by kettykin: 1:34pm On Dec 19, 2012
@ Garri why not come out with your truth and counter Achebe's lies rather than kill your self in frustration

13 Likes

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by Desola(f): 1:51pm On Dec 19, 2012
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/books/reviews/ios-books-of-the-year-2012-biography-and-memoir-8420174.html

In an era in which memoirs seem mostly to be written by young celebrities with nothing to say, how refreshing that this year's best examples are genuinely long-awaited life stories from those who know life, and a story, when they see it. There Was a Country: A Personal History of Biafra by Chinua Achebe (Allen Lane, £20) really is the book that we've been waiting for since 1967, and the start of the Biafran War. It is the first non-fiction account of that period from the author of the novel Things Fall Apart, and as such takes a measured, long view of a confusing and ultimately pretty futile conflict. Achebe, who acted during the war as a roving ambassador for the doomed Biafran government, unpicks a sorry history. Of modern Nigeria, he concludes: "Mediocrity destroys the fabric of a country as surely as a war."

There were no accolades to Achebe here, rather a confirmation that the Biafran effort was a doomed one from the onset and one which could have been avoided.

7 Likes

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by GARRIx7(m): 1:55pm On Dec 19, 2012
kettykin: @ Garri why not come out with your truth and counter Achebe's lies
Thank God you agree he lied.... His lies have been thrashed severally on this forum. Find below one of the threads..

Happy viewing.. cheesy cheesy cheesy
https://www.nairaland.com/1066355/achebe-biafra-memoir-stirs-controversy/1
Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by Nobody: 1:58pm On Dec 19, 2012
But Nigerians never loved the truth especially whenever it involves someone in their tribe they will love to cover it up which is one of the reason Nigeria aint going anywhere..

10 Likes

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by GARRIx7(m): 2:03pm On Dec 19, 2012
Desola: http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/books/reviews/ios-books-of-the-year-2012-biography-and-memoir-8420174.html

There were no accolades to Achebe here, rather a confirmation that the Biafran effort was a doomed one from the onset and one which could have been avoided.

Thanks.

Besides, how can a man who served as a roving ambassador for the doomed Biafran government say the truth without bias??

6 Likes

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by Desola(f): 2:06pm On Dec 19, 2012
GARRI (x7):

Thanks.

Besides, how can a man who served as a roving ambassador for the doomed Biafran government say the truth without bias??

That is the point of the writer, exactly!
Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by nku5: 2:17pm On Dec 19, 2012
I'm not surprised, I have only read snippets but its an amazing and engaging piece of literature.

Achebe no dey fail to deliver. More grease to his elbows

8 Likes

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by kemback2220003: 2:28pm On Dec 19, 2012
ANOTHER PLUS 4 ACHEBE.

17 Likes

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by ezeagu(m): 3:17pm On Dec 19, 2012
Living national treasure (for Africa, for Nigeria, and for the Igbo people).

13 Likes

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by Nobody: 3:19pm On Dec 19, 2012
Achebe 1

Fallen Biafrans 0
Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by ezeagu(m): 3:26pm On Dec 19, 2012
Aigbofa: Achebe 1

Fallen Biafrans 0

For true!?

1 Like

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by Tolexander: 3:26pm On Dec 19, 2012
this achebe wan win nobel prize in literature by all means like Wole soyinka before he died!
SMH for the crippled senile octogenerian!
Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by ezeagu(m): 3:32pm On Dec 19, 2012
Tolexander: this achebe wan win nobel prize in literature by all means like Wole soyinka before he died!

[size=18pt]All-TIME 100 Novels[/size]

"Critics Lev Grossman and Richard Lacayo pick the 100 best English-language novels published since 1923—the beginning of TIME."

"Things Fall Apart" "91 of 104"

http://entertainment.time.com/2005/10/16/all-time-100-novels/slide/things-fall-apart-1959-by-chinua-achebe/

5 Likes

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by ezeagu(m): 3:36pm On Dec 19, 2012
Tolexander: this achebe wan win nobel prize in literature by all means like Wole soyinka before he died!

[size=18pt]Achebe's most famous book, Things Fall Apart, has sold some 11 million copies around the world.[/size]

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/3752216.stm

5 Likes

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by Tolexander: 3:58pm On Dec 19, 2012
ezeagu:

[size=18pt]Achebe's most famous book, Things Fall Apart, has sold some 11 million copies around the world.[/size]

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/3752216.stm

i said nobel prize in literature, u are telling me number of copies sold.
10million copies of things fall apart while lady bird PETER and JANE sold 100million copies

7 Likes

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by slimghost(m): 4:13pm On Dec 19, 2012
Tolexander: i said nobel prize in literature, u are telling me number of copies sold.
10million copies of things fall apart while lady bird PETER and JANE sold 100million copies

You obviously have a low IQ. I can list a number of renowned authors that never won a nobel prize, so making a fool of yourself.

17 Likes

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by Nobody: 4:26pm On Dec 19, 2012
Desola: http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/books/reviews/ios-books-of-the-year-2012-biography-and-memoir-8420174.html

would you have said so if biafra was a success

1 Like

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by Tolexander: 4:50pm On Dec 19, 2012
slimghost:

You obviously have a low IQ. I can list a number of renowned authors that never won a nobel prize, so making a fool of yourself.
but u definitely have no IQ!
Of course there are many good and sound writters like achebe but there will be few outstanding writers like soyinka.
There are gods and there is a God, out of many people standing, there will be an outstanding man. Many were called and few will be chosen.
An example of the above is the situation of u with no IQ and I with low IQ. At least i senior u and i no carry last.

13 Likes

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by Tolexander: 4:55pm On Dec 19, 2012
centje: would you have said so if biafra was a success
satan is meant to go to hell, no remedy about that. Death is inevitible. Biafra was meant to fail before the war cos boys couldn't withstood men.
My brother! We dont need to assume.
UNWARRANTED ASSUMPTION!

1 Like

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by Nobody: 6:26pm On Dec 19, 2012
Tolexander: satan is meant to go to hell, no remedy about that. Death is inevitible. Biafra was meant to fail before the war cos boys couldn't withstood men.
My brother! We dont need to assume.
UNWARRANTED ASSUMPTION!
could list the indicator(s) that biafra was 'meant' to fail even before the war started?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18)

Ekiti Crisis: APC Lawmakers Gives Terms For Truce / Atiku Addressing PDP Members And Supporters At The Elective National Convention / How Ministries Are Coping Without Ministers Under Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.