Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,952 members, 7,828,349 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 08:39 AM

Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 (20214 Views)

What Percent Performance Will You Give GEJ For 2012? / Onaiyekan, Sultan Nominated For 2012 Nobel Peace Prize / Shocking Predictions By Primate Elijah Ayodele For 2012/2013... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Go Down)

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by Nobody: 11:40pm On Dec 19, 2012
van bonattel:

Thats where you are getting it wrong, its about you now, and thick brain who cannot see through your bigotry to praise a man for achieving what you will never ever achieve in three lifetimes.

Where's the bigotry in telling it how it is?? I'm a realist and I don't sugarcoat crap!! I already applauded Achebe for making himself and those who share his biafracentric views proud - however, it should end there... The standard for African/black/Nigerian hero(es) is too high for Achebe - he needs to retrace his steps and apologise for dividing a divided country further before he can be considered a Nigerian hero...

If W.E.B Dubois(before his demise) could apologise to Marcus Gavey, then Achebe shouldn't have a problem apologising to Nigerians, period...

PS: This isn't about me... cool

2 Likes

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by vanbonattel: 11:41pm On Dec 19, 2012
hypeman:

However, I've achieved more right now than Achebe did when he was at my age.. So, you can't judge now, can you??

Wait till I get to his age to judge that... wink

Who are you? How many bookers, IoS have you won?
At your young age you are displaying this type of arrogant, disrespectful stupidity and you hope to become anything better than a giggolo in this your life?

2 Likes

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by Nobody: 11:44pm On Dec 19, 2012
Baby mama: [size=18pt]From an independent observer ,neither Yoruba nor Igbo[/size]

The Mallam has. Spoken

Crack me up! Mallam, an independent observer in Nigeria's affairs? Some of you are even more daft than expected.
I ignore an obvious fool.

1 Like

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by vanbonattel: 11:44pm On Dec 19, 2012
hypeman:

Where's the bigotry in telling it how it is?? I'm a realist and I don't sugarcoat crap!! I already applauded Achebe for making himself and those who share his biafracentric views proud - however, it should end there... The standard for African/black/Nigerian hero(es) is too high for Achebe - he needs to retrace his steps and apologise for dividing a divided country further before he can be considered a Nigerian hero...

If W.E.B Dubois(before his demise) could apologise to Marcus Gavey, then Achebe shouldn't have a problem apologising to Nigerians, period...

PS: This isn't about me... cool

Sorry, but maybe you failed to read the topic?
Its about Achebe being recognized by another international body for his efforts at writing and not about his heroism. Maybe you need to sleep and wake up to join us here?

3 Likes

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by Nobody: 11:44pm On Dec 19, 2012
van bonattel:
Who are you? How many bookers, IoS have you won?
At your young age you are displaying this type of arrogant, disrespectful stupidity and you hope to become anything better than a giggolo in this your life?

Did I claim I was superior to Achebe?? And how I'm being arrogant and disrespectful??

My only crime here is critiquing Achebe and telling it how it is... Tired of Africans celebrating overrated people who didn't contribute anything to the progress and upliftment of the continent and race... Like I said earlier, Achebe has done well for himself - however, he isn't a Nigerian/African hero, period..

2 Likes

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by Nobody: 11:46pm On Dec 19, 2012
van bonattel:
Sorry, but maybe you failed to read the topic?
Its about Achebe being recognized by another international body for his efforts at writing and not about his heroism. Maybe you need to sleep and wake up to join us here?

I read the topic - and my line of argument has been consistent...

I'm arguing against IKengawo's assertion that Achebe is a Nigerian/African icon...

Go back and read my argument again...

2 Likes

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by vanbonattel: 11:48pm On Dec 19, 2012
hypeman:

Did I claim I was superior to Achebe?? And how I'm being arrogant and disrespectful??

My only crime here is critiquing Achebe and telling it how it is... Tired of Africans celebrating overrated people who didn't contribute anything to the progress and upliftment of the continent and race... Like I said earlier, Achebe has done well for himself - however, he isn't a Nigerian/African hero, period..

You boasted you were better than Achebe when he was your age?

1 Like

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by phantom(m): 11:49pm On Dec 19, 2012
Prof Corruption:

ha ha ha! You are a fool, nothing more. You have not presented any argument, premise or even thesis beyond your normal one liner that is absolutely stupid and unreadable to intellectually shining eyes. What on earth is the correlation between reading a book in secondary schools to being superlative or being masterpiece? One could read a book to learn how not to write similar book. You get it.

grin grin grin grin grin grin did you just call yourself an intellectual grin grin please stop spinning a web around yourself.

"One could read a book to learn how not to write similar book" <-what does this meanplease read it again(yeah go ahead dont be shy,its your post)and proudly tell the house this makes sense to you. grin grin grin grin grin.
please when your daughter submits her list of books for the new term to you,and you scroll down and see that title you love to hate,tell her you wont buy it for her because achebe is not a role model. **o boy,would it be fun to see her face** clown! grin grin

1 Like

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by Nobody: 11:50pm On Dec 19, 2012
Prof Corruption:

Crack me up! Mallam, an independent observer in Nigeria's affairs? Some of you are even more daft than expected.

Everything he wrote there is the gospel truth
Every other tribe knows you folks are full of hatred and it shows
You will even sell your own brothers for a packet of gala to get them killed

Abiola
His wife
Dipo
Bola Ige
The list is endless

Na today?
They will smile in your faces,prostrate on the floor turn around,a dagger at your back

1 Like

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by vanbonattel: 11:51pm On Dec 19, 2012
hypeman:

I read the topic - and my line of argument has been consistent...

I'm arguing against IKengawo's assertion that Achebe is a Nigerian/African icon...

Go back and read my argument again...

If you have read his book, and he has not read yours, then he is a hero to you.
You can continue to hide behind your finger all you like, but the man will continue to rise in his reputation everyday.

1 Like

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by Willy7(m): 11:51pm On Dec 19, 2012
Incase anyone cares to know,i'm the one clicking d like buttons on the comments by the igbos defending d Literary giant Prof Chinua Achebe.I dont have any contributions to make,so im just gonna keep clicking that button ok?My own humble and meager way to say I love and appreciate the man Achebe.May Almighty continue to grant him longlife and bless him.

5 Likes

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by Nobody: 11:52pm On Dec 19, 2012
To cut a long story short, Achebe's nomination is nothing more than being nominated by a local newspaper like Tribune or Sunday vanguard . Kudos to him for achieving that. The nomination has nothing to do with validity or otherwise of assertions of Mr. Achebe in his controversial and much criticized book.

I am out.

1 Like

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by Nobody: 11:53pm On Dec 19, 2012
re@lchange:
Yoruba destroyed nigeria with their tribalism
they contribute nothing to nigeria and will not be missed if excised from nigeria

all they contribute is oil theft

Please, let's leave tribe and tribalism out of this...

Don't derail the thread.. wink

1 Like

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by Nobody: 11:55pm On Dec 19, 2012
phantom:
grin grin grin grin grin grin did you just call yourself an intellectual grin grin please stop spinning a web around yourself.

"One could read a book to learn how not to write similar book" <-what does this meanplease read it again(yeah go ahead dont be shy,its your post)and proudly tell the house this makes sense to you. grin grin grin grin grin.
please when your daughter submits her list of books for the new term to you,and you scroll down and see that title you love to hate,tell her you wont buy it for her because achebe is not a role model. **o boy,would it be fun to see her face** clown! grin grin

Compare the nonsense you have here with what others have contributed and judge for yourselves. You are a certified fool.
Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by vanbonattel: 11:56pm On Dec 19, 2012
Prof Corruption: To cut a long story short, Achebe's nomination is nothing more than being nominated by a local newspaper like Tribune or Sunday vanguard . Kudos to him for achieving that. The nomination has nothing to do with validity or otherwise of assertions of Mr. Achebe in his controversial and much criticized book.

I am out.

Have you ever been nominated by even an association of MAD people? Na jealousy go kill you?

You are out? Go ahead, jump into the lagoon!

1 Like

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by Nobody: 11:56pm On Dec 19, 2012
hypeman:

Please, let's leave tribe and tribalism out of this...

Don't derail the thread.. wink

so what are all of you doing here running down the only man that actually put nigeria on the world map of literature?
if you ask a chinese about achebe he will remember things fall apart and then nigeria
if you ask the same chinese about soyinka, he may not even know which country he comes from, nobel or no nobel
thanks to achebe, africans have shown that they had some culture before colonialism
what have you termites contributed to nigeria's greatness?
nothing!

3 Likes

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by Nobody: 11:56pm On Dec 19, 2012
Baby mama: [size=18pt]From an independent observer ,neither Yoruba nor Igbo[/size]

A man who understands that tribalism runs in the Yoruba blood
This is the reason they are jealous of the achievement of others as long as he is not Yoruba
and if he were Yoruba they will retreat in their enclaves to argue that he was ijebu not Egba or Kiti not Oyo
It hurts them to see others succeed
Very small minded men that would fight tooth and nail to sabotage others and rubbish them
Tribalism runs in their blood

Nonsense, coming from the decendants of people who wanted to make Nigeria the private estate of their forefathers! Tribalism my foot.

1 Like

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by Nobody: 11:57pm On Dec 19, 2012
van bonattel:

If you have read his book, and he has not read yours, then he is a hero to you.
You can continue to hide behind your finger all you like, but the man will continue to rise in his reputation everyday.

I'm not a writer - I'm a social critic... grin

I doubt he'll continue to rise...He has been stagnant since "Things Fall Apart" and he hasn't been able to replicate the same book...

Anyway, I applaud him regardless... wink

1 Like

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by vanbonattel: 12:00am On Dec 20, 2012
hypeman:

I'm not a writer - I'm a social critic... grin

I doubt he'll continue to rise...He has been stagnant since "Things Fall Apart" and he hasn't been able to replicate the same book...

Anyway, I applaud him regardless... wink

First, as a social critic, you are terribly incompetent.

Secondly, a bamboo tree can be stagnant for years and still grow very tall in a short while, Achebe has so many books, and will continue to churn out more.

1 Like

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by phantom(m): 12:02am On Dec 20, 2012
Prof Corruption:

Compare the nonsense you have here with what others have contributed and judge for yourselves. You are a certified fool.
grin grin grin wow more insults. **na wa o! katsumoto has a lot of dog training to do**
grin grin grin grin grin grin what cracks me up is that your great grand children will most likely still read this book in school.okay lets say they are born abroad,there is still a likelihood that they'll read this same book in those foreign schools be it the chinese,spanish or german version... grin grin wink....you know its likely dont you? grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by PROUDIGBO(m): 12:02am On Dec 20, 2012
Prof Corruption:

1. That you are called a brother does not in reality make you one. Who cares if you share a brotherly association with snakes or if you are incompetent in expressing a sarcasm.

2.I don't care if Achebe is listed as most read by Nigerian Tribune or Sun Newspaper. I take exception to folks interpreting that to mean validation of the contents of the lies filled book. I stepped in to express my comment just you have done now and I did point out there was a glaring difference between a readable Achebe and a factual one. I don't care about Booker prize who no serious intellectual can , at the moment, calibrate its worthiness relative to a Nobel. I don't give a damn about a list of thinkers for 2012 where half of the so called thinkers are idiots, certified ones for that matter. One even contested in an election she was well aware of losing, so much for a thinker. There is nothing to be jealous about you folks, you are jealous of what you don't have or can't achieve not, obviously, what you have surpassed. get it?

3.Your point three is laughable. You can't belittle what's great and a factual truthful comment can never malign anybody. Point out what's false in my assertion that IoS nomination was not worth the salt. It's just like any other nominations by any newspaper. am I wrong? Who are the intellectuals you referred to? Are you implying same folks who have said a consistent NO to his Nobel nominations are less of intellectuals to the modern day fire brigade award in the name of Booker? That a book is translated to several languages should bot be mistaken for it being a literary masterpiece. Things Fall Apart is far from what can be considered a masterpiece in literary terms. get it?

4.This is where you display a measure of intelligence. It's only fools that would take a personal history of a fellow who ran propaganda machine for a side in a war as the absolute unquestionable truth. There are copious assertions in his book that have no other better description than to be called outright lies. Several rebuttals are out already. There is no independent author on Nigerian fratricidal war who has in a way validated his assertion on the topical issue of genocide. The facts are out there for objective folks.

Dude, do you even know the meaning of sarcasm ? I wasn't being sarcastic when i compared you to a rattlesnake, trust me.

You talk of his book being lies do you? Of course it would be 'lies' b'cos it contains a few issues you'd rather were swept under the carpet, and it exposes your god for the duplicitous, heartless, creep that he was.

You say some have written rebuttals already?; nice one....all that's left now is for their books to gain the same prominence as Achebes' memoirs, and hopefully, they'll receive a Nobel prize for literature into the bargain since you say the annual 'IOS best books listing' and the 'Booker prize' award are beneath you lot.

Mate, there are many things in life you don't have to agree with, but i reckon you're sinking to pathetic depths when you're obsessed with an issue that you've already voiced your opinion on a countless number of times in the past; take this thread for instance- it 'innocently' highlighted the fact that the esteemed Achebe has his book listed for 'IOS best books 2012' (saying nothing about your god awo or anything about the southwest) yet you dived in with invectives and derision, and to what end really? You come across as being very immature, with the mental age of a retar/ded 12 year old.....quite sad really.

You take time out of your obviously busy schedule to 'try' and rubbish the 'IOS best books' listing (which you've done only b'cos the esteemed Achebe was chosen), with your ultimate aim being to 'try' and deflate the happiness his admirers are feeling for the recognition of his efforts....you see how you come across don't you? What drives you if not the same dark forces that spurred on your god to commit unspeakable acts of wickedness in the late 60's, all in the name of 'keeping Nigeria one'.

I'll leave you with YOUR WORDS for you to see just how stupid this hatred you have for Igbos is making you look: "That a book is translated to several languages should bot be mistaken for it being a literary masterpiece" ; i mean....DUDE!, just read what you typed.

4 Likes

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by Nobody: 12:03am On Dec 20, 2012
re@lchange:

so what are all of you doing here running down the only man that actually put nigeria on the world map of literature?
if you ask a chinese about achebe he will remember things fall apart and then nigeria
if you ask the same chinese about soyinka, he may not even know which country he comes from, nobel or no nobel
thanks to achebe, africans have shown that they had some culture before colonialism
what have you termites contributed to nigeria's greatness?
nothing!

And how has that contributed to Nigeria's growth?? The Christmas bomber also put Nigeria on the map albeit in a negative way.. grin

I'm sorry, I don't rate superficial achievements...

Achebe has divided Nigeria further - that's the bone of contention here, bro...

And No, Cheikh Anta Diop, Chancellor Williams et al showed the world we had a superior culture and everything came from us(using scientific methods, anthropology, and archaeology) not the fictional crap Achebe wrote... You need to read more, bro. undecided

1 Like

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by Nobody: 12:06am On Dec 20, 2012
van bonattel:
First, as a social critic, you are terribly incompetent.

Secondly, a bamboo tree can be stagnant for years and still grow very tall in a short while, Achebe has so many books, and will continue to churn out more.

Which of his "so many books" is he known for?? grin

Achebe reached his prime with "Things Fall Apart." undecided
Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by phantom(m): 12:08am On Dec 20, 2012
PROUD-IGBO:

Dude, do you even know the meaning of sarcasm ? I wasn't being sarcastic when i compared you to a rattlesnake, trust me.

You talk of his book being lies do you? Of course it would be 'lies' b'cos it contains a few issues you'd rather were swept under the carpet, and it exposes your god for the duplicitous, heartless, creep that he was.

You say some have written rebuttals already?; nice one....all that's left now is for their books to gain the same prominence as Achebes' memoirs, and hopefully, they'll receive a Nobel prize for literature into the bargain since you say the annual 'IOS best books listing' and the 'Booker prize' award are beneath you lot.

Mate, there are many things in life you don't have to agree with, but i reckon you're sinking to pathetic depths when you're obsessed with an issue that you've already voiced your opinion on a countless number of times in the past; take this thread for instance- it 'innocently' highlighted the fact that the esteemed Achebe has his book listed for 'IOS best books 2012' (saying nothing about your god awo or anything about the southwest) yet you dived in with invectives and derision, and to what end really? You come across as being very immature, with the mental age of a retar/ded 12 year old.....quite sad really.

You take time out of your obviously busy schedule to 'try' and rubbish the 'IOS best books' listing (which you've done only b'cos the esteemed Achebe was chosen), with your ultimate aim being to 'try' and deflate the happiness his admirers are feeling for the recognition of his efforts....you see how you come across don't you? What drives you if not the same dark forces that spurred on your god to commit unspeakable acts of wickedness in the late 60's, all in the name of 'keeping Nigeria one'.

I'll leave you with YOUR WORDS for you to see just how stupid this hatred you have for Igbos is making you look: "That a book is translated to several languages should bot be mistaken for it being a literary masterpiece" ; i mean....DUDE!, just read what you typed.
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin...when you think you've finally seen the worst on nairaland,you get dissapointed.... grin grin grin grin funny thing is the dude actually thinks he's smart. **o boy i would take a newt anyday**

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18)

Ibaka Seaport In Akwa Ibom To Start Operations In 2015 / 2019: Adamawa Government Reveals Atiku's Presidential Ambition / El-Rufai: Buhari Frustrated Fuel Subsidy Removal

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.