Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,737 members, 7,809,826 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:34 PM

Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 (20176 Views)

What Percent Performance Will You Give GEJ For 2012? / Onaiyekan, Sultan Nominated For 2012 Nobel Peace Prize / Shocking Predictions By Primate Elijah Ayodele For 2012/2013... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Go Down)

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by Nobody: 10:52pm On Dec 19, 2012
Warri_Pikin:

If there were no yorubas in Nigeria, Nigeria would have been highly developed already. Because our leaders will be elected based on competence not tribalism.

In short the whole problem with Nigeria begins and ends with tribalism, and yorubas introduced that into Nigeria.

gbam i say!
Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by salam001(m): 10:54pm On Dec 19, 2012
babapupa:

Dopemu. Shouldn't you be asking your re..tarded brother why compared the bitter and senile old man with dead people.? You and that fool can not even tell us what the clown believed in.

Dumb I..diots
oloriburuku,go and sleep if you have No meaningful comments,the man is a hero,enuff Said

1 Like

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by ebere1712: 10:54pm On Dec 19, 2012
dayokanu: Nobel prize we know not Gordon Bell prize, Man Booker,Mike Tyson Lilian Gish, Tupac Shakur awards
Lol. Awolowo would be very proud.
Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by Nobody: 10:54pm On Dec 19, 2012
PROUD-IGBO:

^^^Couple of things to note:

1- Igbos are not your 'brother' mate, as we'd sooner be brothers with a rattlesnake! Gerrit?......good!;

2- Also, you talk of Igbos "empty chest beating that amounts to nothing": now if you had wanted to be objective and make a good analysis of the responses on this thread, you'd have searched for and gone straight to the initial bigoted post that started the whole mud-slinging (and there's no prizes for noting that it's your embittered pathetic brother that kicked off the whole thing by 'drawing first blood'......check his initial caustic comment which was a precursor for all the other rubbish -like your post- that was to follow); so an admirer of Achebe making a post (which ordinarily should be no skin of your nose) about Achebes' memoirs making the IOS best books list for 2012....this now suddenly translates to Igbos 'chest beating' and is making you mad?; even if -for the sake of argument- Igbos are chest beating over this issue, why does it pain you so much?.....does it affect your well-being in any way?; the only explanation one could come up with is that you and your ilk are bitter and hateful of any achievements Ndigbo make in any field of endeavour, and the same envious spirit that possesed your god awo.....i see that same malevolent spirit in you;

3- You then take the pains to 'try' and belittle the IOS best books listing (you- a nobody that just exists on the pages of nairaland as a sad bigot?).....this says more about your dark state of mind than anything else really; whatever you may think of Achebes' book....this shouldn't be a license to believe that you're more reasonable and better informed than a body of literary intellectuals that have deemed it fit to honour him, and the many countries that have translated and made his book standard literature in their schools;

4- Achebes' book is HIS 'memoirs' of the civil war, gerrit?; it should stand side by side with any rebuttal you can come up with, and then we should leave it to neutrals and students of 'inhumane wars and genocide' to decide which is a tissue of lies and which is fact!

1. That you are called a brother does not in reality make you one. Who cares if you share a brotherly association with snakes or if you are incompetent in expressing a sarcasm.

2.I don't care if Achebe is listed as most read by Nigerian Tribune or Sun Newspaper. I take exception to folks interpreting that to mean validation of the contents of the lies filled book. I stepped in to express my comment just you have done now and I did point out there was a glaring difference between a readable Achebe and a factual one. I don't care about Booker prize who no serious intellectual can , at the moment, calibrate its worthiness relative to a Nobel. I don't give a damn about a list of thinkers for 2012 where half of the so called thinkers are idiots, certified ones for that matter. One even contested in an election she was well aware of losing, so much for a thinker. There is nothing to be jealous about you folks, you are jealous of what you don't have or can't achieve not, obviously, what you have surpassed. get it?

3.Your point three is laughable. You can't belittle what's great and a factual truthful comment can never malign anybody. Point out what's false in my assertion that IoS nomination was not worth the salt. It's just like any other nominations by any newspaper. am I wrong? Who are the intellectuals you referred to? Are you implying same folks who have said a consistent NO to his Nobel nominations are less of intellectuals to the modern day fire brigade award in the name of Booker? That a book is translated to several languages should bot be mistaken for it being a literary masterpiece. Things Fall Apart is far from what can be considered a masterpiece in literary terms. get it?

4.This is where you display a measure of intelligence. It's only fools that would take a personal history of a fellow who ran propaganda machine for a side in a war as the absolute unquestionable truth. There are copious assertions in his book that have no other better description than to be called outright lies. Several rebuttals are out already. There is no independent author on Nigerian fratricidal war who has in a way validated his assertion on the topical issue of genocide. The facts are out there for objective folks.
Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by dayokanu(m): 10:54pm On Dec 19, 2012
re@lchange:
please can anybody show me what yoruba citizens add to nigeria, both as public servants or as private businesses

... please minus oil theft businesses

We remember Maurice Iwu, Humphrey Nwosu, Chukwumerije, Ofonagoro, Achebe
Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by Nobody: 10:56pm On Dec 19, 2012
dayokanu:

We remember Maurice Iwu, Humphrey Nwosu, Chukwumerije, Ofonagoro, Achebe

you wan me to list Yoruba thieves?
this forum will not contain the names i swear

just show me one Yoruba that served nigeria well
[size=14pt]just one![/size]

2 Likes

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by Nobody: 10:57pm On Dec 19, 2012
i am asking a simple question
show me a yoruba minister or public servant that you miss
or yoruba private company that is putting nigeria on the world map in manufacturing

2 Likes

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by Nobody: 10:57pm On Dec 19, 2012
none! angry

1 Like

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by Tolexander: 11:03pm On Dec 19, 2012
salam001: if you know what this man has achieved,you would wish to be crippled and senile
health is wealth!
Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by phantom(m): 11:06pm On Dec 19, 2012
Prof Corruption:

I ignore an obvious fool.
yeah real mature of you.......when your arguements fail,you draw first blood. wow very mature.. wink

3 Likes

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by Tolexander: 11:07pm On Dec 19, 2012
re@lchange:
i am asking a simple question
show me a yoruba minister or public servant that you miss
or yoruba private company that is putting nigeria on the world map in manufacturing
irrelevance! Nonsense is even an understatement.

1 Like

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by Tolexander: 11:11pm On Dec 19, 2012
centje: waste, unimportant,and worthless
chaff is a waste but not worthless because it can be given to animals as feed like you are feeding on it.
Continue eating it, it is yours!
Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by Nobody: 11:12pm On Dec 19, 2012
phantom:

yeah real mature of you.......when your arguements fail,you draw first blood. wow very mature.. wink

ha ha ha! You are a fool, nothing more. You have not presented any argument, premise or even thesis beyond your normal one liner that is absolutely stupid and unreadable to intellectually shining eyes. What on earth is the correlation between reading a book in secondary schools to being superlative or being masterpiece? One could read a book to learn how not to write similar book. You get it.

I ignore an obvious fool.
Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by Nobody: 11:13pm On Dec 19, 2012
nku5:

grin Are you for real?? Benjamin Zephanaiah is a better writer than Chinua Achebe? Dude are you like a rastafarian or something

Well - Benjamin Zephanaiah is one of the top 50 British writers in the last century...

That's a massive achievement for a Rasta in the belly of the beast...
Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by Nobody: 11:20pm On Dec 19, 2012
Is Achebe a good writer(not great)? - Hell yes!!

Is he a great ambassador for Biafranism(not Igbo because he has never done anything for Igbos as well)?? - Hell yes

Is he an African/Nigerian icon/hero? - Hell fvcking NO!!

Achebe is a divisive force that shouldn't be celebrated... He needs to emulate(though he's old) W.E.B Dubois and Murtala Muhammed - these great men made mistakes when they were young, however, they retraced their steps and cemented their places as one of the greatest black/African men ever and the most Pan-Africanist Nigerian leader ever respectively...

2 Likes

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by Nobody: 11:22pm On Dec 19, 2012
No name calling - I just want to know why Achebe should be celebrated by Nigerians and Africans in general...

Andre_Uweh, can you take Ezeagu's place??... grin

1 Like

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by vanbonattel: 11:25pm On Dec 19, 2012
hypeman: No name calling - I just want to know why Achebe should be celebrated by Nigerians and Africans in general...

Andre_Uweh, can you take Ezeagu's place??... grin

Because he thinkered some little sense into your head, via his wise sayings in his books.

1 Like

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by Nobody: 11:26pm On Dec 19, 2012
Is Achebe the greatest writer out of Africa?? - Hell NO!!

The man is overrated!! undecided

1 Like

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by vanbonattel: 11:28pm On Dec 19, 2012
hypeman: Is Achebe the greatest writer out of Africa?? - Hell NO!!

Which of your townsman has won even biscuit in the primary school by writing? You are permanently underrated.

3 Likes

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by Nobody: 11:29pm On Dec 19, 2012
van bonattel:

Because he thinkered some little sense into your head, via his wise sayings in his books.

I've read his best book, "Things Falls Apart" - and the only thing I took out of it was that a superior culture(European culture) swallowed up an African culture...

That definitely isn't my type of book because it shattered the pride I had in African culture(s) and how the culture(s) could stand side by side with other cultures around the world...

So, Achebe is guilty of peddling low self-esteem among Africans... grin

1 Like

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by vanbonattel: 11:30pm On Dec 19, 2012
hypeman: Is Achebe the greatest writer out of Africa?? - Hell NO!!

You can never hope to eat in the same place Achebe defeacates!

1 Like

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by Nobody: 11:30pm On Dec 19, 2012
van bonattel:

Which of your townsman has won even biscuit in the primary school by writing? You are permanently underrated.

This isn't about me, don't derail the thread, brah.. undecided
Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by vanbonattel: 11:32pm On Dec 19, 2012
hypeman:

I've read his best book, "Things Falls Apart" - and the only thing I took out of it was that a superior culture(European culture) swallowed up an African culture...

That definitely isn't my type of book because it shattered the pride I had in African culture(s) and how the culture(s) could stand side by side with other cultures around the world...

So, Achebe is guilty of peddling low self-esteem among Africans... grin

Yes, and the same low esteem has been following you around. Most of us that read the book found explanations to the riddles about our past, and went out and conquered our fear of the white man, and you know what, WE WON!

1 Like

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by Nobody: 11:32pm On Dec 19, 2012
van bonattel:

You can never hope to eat in the same place Achebe defeacates!

However, I've achieved more right now than Achebe did when he was at my age.. So, you can't judge now, can you??

Wait till I get to his age to judge that... wink

1 Like

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by Nobody: 11:34pm On Dec 19, 2012
van bonattel:

Yes, and the same low esteem has been following you around. Most of us that read the book found explanations to the riddles about our past, and went out and conquered our fear of the white man, and you know what, WE WON!

That's basically because most of you are borderline ret.arded...

The book probably contributed to the low IQ among Nigerians... grin

1 Like

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by vanbonattel: 11:34pm On Dec 19, 2012
hypeman:

This isn't about me, don't derail the thread, brah.. undecided

Thats where you are getting it wrong, its about you now, and your thick brain which cannot think through your bigotry to praise a man for achieving what you will never ever achieve in three lifetimes.

1 Like

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by vanbonattel: 11:35pm On Dec 19, 2012
hypeman:

That's basically because most of you are borderline ret.arded...

The book probably contributed to the low IQ among Nigerians... grin

Most especially you.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18)

Kenneth Okonkwo: "Buhari Does Not Induce Anybody With Corruption" / President Buhari Hiding Unemployment Data Because Of 2019 Elections- Atiku / 9th Assembly: Reps Members Speak On Gbajabiamila ‘buying’ Votes With Green Cards

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.