Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,195 members, 7,822,037 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 03:15 AM

Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 (20207 Views)

What Percent Performance Will You Give GEJ For 2012? / Onaiyekan, Sultan Nominated For 2012 Nobel Peace Prize / Shocking Predictions By Primate Elijah Ayodele For 2012/2013... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Go Down)

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by Nobody: 9:12pm On Dec 19, 2012
Baby mama:

Yes Bill Clinton,Barrack Obama on the same list eediots?
Hehehehehehehe

You are not bright. Re-read my comment and tell me what part of Half you don't understand.
Idiots on the list include but not limited to: Ngozi Okonjo Iweala and Chinua Achebe.

1 Like

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by phantom(m): 9:13pm On Dec 19, 2012
Baby mama:

Yes Bill Clinton,Barrack Obama on the same list of eediots?
Good company of eediots IMHO,I wish I were one
Hehehehehehehe

Other notable people on the list are Bill Clinton at no 3 , Bill Gates at no 5 and Barack Obama at no 7
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
classic!!!!

2 Likes

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by Nobody: 9:17pm On Dec 19, 2012
Prof Corruption:

You are not bright. Re-read my comment and tell me what part of Half you don't understand.
Idiots on the list include but not limited to: Ngozi Okonjo Iweala and Chinua Achebe.

I just love when the tribal hatred consumes you
Entertaining
grin grin grin grin
I prefer these "eediots" anyday
May this " eediotic" blessing be my portion
Amen oooooooooooooo

2 Likes

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by Nobody: 9:18pm On Dec 19, 2012
Baby mama:

I just love when the tribal hatred consumes you
Entertaining
grin grin grin grin

It's fun dude when you admit your stupidity.

1 Like

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by phantom(m): 9:20pm On Dec 19, 2012
Prof Corruption:

kai...chairman no fall my hand here now.i expect better arguement from you...

1 Like

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by Nobody: 9:21pm On Dec 19, 2012
Prof Corruption:

It's fun dude when you admit your stupidity.

Hehehehehehehe
All because Chinua made a list grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Bwaahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!

1 Like

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by Nobody: 9:22pm On Dec 19, 2012
Baby mama:

Hehehehehehehe
All because Chinua made a list
Bwaahahahahahahahahahahaha

No, Chinua is dead intellectually, no serious fellow takes him seriously anymore.
The comment is reserved for you for not being able to comprehend this:
Half of dudes on that list are certified idiots.
Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by Nobody: 9:23pm On Dec 19, 2012
phantom:
kai...chairman no fall my hand here now.i expect better arguement from you...

Because of how the thing dey pain dem even if Prof Achebe cough ,I go post the sputum here
Anyone wey wan quench,make e quench

1 Like

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by Nobody: 9:24pm On Dec 19, 2012
Prof Corruption:

No, Chinua is dead intellectually, no serious fellow takes him seriously anymore.

No one and that person is you?
And your medium is nairaland
Hehehehehehehehe grin grin grin grin grin
Kai una no go kill baby mama with laff o grin grin grin grin grin
You?
Ikwikwikwikwikwi!!!!!
A faceless nameless poster on a chat forum?
Hohoho hohoho
I no go die o grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by phantom(m): 9:27pm On Dec 19, 2012
Prof Corruption:

[b]No, Chinua is dead intellectually, [/b]no serious fellow takes him seriously anymore.

Prof Corruption:

you mean in nigeria or outsidethink carefully before you answer!

1 Like

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by Nobody: 9:29pm On Dec 19, 2012
phantom:

Even in Nigeria sef
Why are they hyperventilating if he was a nobody
Some even called for a ban of his book
Hehehehehehe
This thread sweet o

1 Like

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by Nobody: 9:29pm On Dec 19, 2012
phantom:

lol. Everywhere in the world. You obviously mistaken topping useless Wikipedia lists with being recognized by serious folks.
You think the fools begging him with awards here in Nigeria are serious folks? Give me a break.

1 Like

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by Tolexander: 9:31pm On Dec 19, 2012
ezeagu:

And how does a Noble prize increase or decrease the impact of an author?
there is universal impact and there is a local impact.
Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by babapupa: 9:32pm On Dec 19, 2012
ezeagu:

Tell me what you had for dinner.

So, you can not tell us what that senile and bitter old man believed in and died for? You are dumber than I thought..
Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by Afam4eva(m): 9:33pm On Dec 19, 2012
I can't believe Prof Corruption is still on alive on this thread after the brutality and fatality that he's received as a result of his sheer stup1dity.

1 Like

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by Nobody: 9:33pm On Dec 19, 2012
Prof Corruption:

lol. Everywhere in the world. You obviously mistaken topping useless Wikipedia lists with being recognized by serious folks.
You think the fools begging him with awards here in Nigeria are serious folks? Give me a break.

Read it well it is not a Wikipedia list,the newspaper merely quoted Wikipedia ,you can see it on huffington post cool

This one should give you heart attack then
Here I come,another accolade altogether
Hehehehehehe

The Nigerian novelist Chinua Achebe has won the $300,000 Dorothy and Lillian Gish Prize, which recognizes artists who have had an extraordinary impact in their field. The award, named after the silent film stars, will be delivered at a ceremony on Oct. 27 in New York. Past winners include Robert Redford, Ornette Coleman, Merce Cunningham and Frank Gehry. Mr. Achebe's books are among the most widely read in African literature. His 1958 novel, ''Things Fall Apart,'' has sold more than 10 million copies, and he has also won the Man Booker International Prize for Fiction and the Nigerian National Merit Award.
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9B04E4D91231F936A1575AC0A9669D8B63&ref=chinuaachebe

1 Like

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by Nobody: 9:36pm On Dec 19, 2012
afam4eva: I can't believe Prof Corruption is still on alive on this thread after the brutality and fatality that he's received as a result of his sheer stup1dity.

You made me laugh. What brutality or fatality, the shot you fired or the ones fired by dude who could not comprehend half or the significance of question mark in a sentence? You are not bright.
Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by Nobody: 9:37pm On Dec 19, 2012
Baby mama:

Read it well it is not a Wikipedia list,the newspaper merely quoted Wikipedia ,you can see it on huffington post cool

Hehehehehehe

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9B04E4D91231F936A1575AC0A9669D8B63&ref=chinuaachebe

How does it compare with a million dollars for folks with Nobel? Judge for yourselves.
Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by Nobody: 9:39pm On Dec 19, 2012
Achebe is a lazy writer, a copy and paste author, a revisionist autobiographer and the world's most hate filled man.
So much for a dead living.

1 Like

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by Nobody: 9:42pm On Dec 19, 2012
Prof Corruption:

How does it compare with a million dollars for folks with Nobel? Judge for yourselves.

You still dey here
Ngwa another award coming your way
Nobody is omparing Achebe to Soyinka.I love Soyinka,I love his work
But your hatred of Igbos will not allow you appreciate Achebe that is the difference between me and you so since Achebe makes you uncomfortable,let me add to your discomfort

Oya collect another one and add to your misery

This is from 2007,the same artist without relevance grin grin grin grin grin

[size=18pt]LONDON, June 13 -- Nigerian novelist Chinua Achebe won the 2007 Man Booker International Prize for fiction Wednesday, beating such celebrated nominees as Philip Roth, Margaret Atwood and Ian McEwan.[/size]

The $120,000 prize is awarded every two years for a body of fiction.

Achebe, 76, is best known for his first novel, "Things Fall Apart" (1958), and "Anthills of the Savannah," published more than 30 years later. "Things Fall Apart" has sold more than 10 million copies and has been translated into 50 languages, making Achebe the most translated African writer of all time.

2 Likes

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by Tolexander: 9:42pm On Dec 19, 2012
ezeagu:

And Malik Shabazz, Martin Luther King Jr., Mahatma Ghandi, Nat Turner, Nanny of the Maroons, etc all got their "azzz kicked", yet your friends are quoting them as "real heroes", for what? Dying for what they believe in.

Under-believable!
those people u mentioned are men of class when it comes to political, civil and colonial liberation of their people. Count achebe out cos he is not in their class.
Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by babapupa: 9:42pm On Dec 19, 2012
Baby mama:

Read it well it is not a Wikipedia list,the newspaper merely quoted Wikipedia

Hehehehehehe

still, no Nobel..... still not good enough to command the ultimate literary recognition which is the Nobel. the first African and the only Nigerian Nobel winner for literature is whole soyinka and 20 billion copies of ashebes fabu, bitter and hate books can not change that.

1 Like

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by phantom(m): 9:45pm On Dec 19, 2012
Prof Corruption: Achebe is a lazy writer, a copy and paste author, a revisionist autobiographer and the world's most hate filled man.
So much for a dead living.
interesting.....you know i wasnt quite sure if you were one of the smart yoruba peeps here OR one of the dumb ones....but YOU'VE JUST REMOVED ALL DOUBT.thanks for clearing that one up for me... undecided

1 Like

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by Nobody: 9:47pm On Dec 19, 2012
I have come again o
2012 the same Chinua Achebe again another booker prize
Another prize
Hiya
This man na waya o

[size=18pt]Nigerian writer Chinua Achebe was crowned the winner of the second Man Booker International Prize today (13th June). The prize is worth £60,000 and is awarded once every two years to a living author for a body of work. It was first awarded to Ismail Kadaré in 2005.[/size]
Achebe is best known for his first novel, Things Fall Apart (Penguin), written in 1958, and Anthills of the Savannah (also Penguin), published more than 30 years later, but his work includes more than 20 books, including novels, short stories, essays and collections of poetry.
Achebe beat an impressive list of contenders, which this year also included Margaret Atwood, John Banville, Peter Carey, Don DeLillo, Doris Lessing, Ian McEwan, Michael Ondaatje and Philip Roth.
Academic and author Elaine Showalter, who was one of the judges, said: "In Things Fall Apart and his other fiction set in Nigeria, Chinua Achebe inaugurated the modern African novel. He also illuminated the path for writers around the world seeking new words and forms for new realities and societies. We honour his literary example and achievements."

grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by Nobody: 9:49pm On Dec 19, 2012
phantom:
interesting.....you know i wasnt quite sure if you were one of the smart yoruba peeps here OR one of the dumb ones....but YOU'VE JUST REMOVED ALL DOUBT.thanks for clearing that one up for me... undecided

It is always safer to assume they are all rabid tribalists then by the process of elimination separate the sheep from the goats
If you scratch them small,you will see the real man underneath
Na today?

1 Like

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by Tolexander: 9:53pm On Dec 19, 2012
Prof Corruption:

that is exactly her problem.
There is a dichotomy between her and brightness

1 Like

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by phantom(m): 9:54pm On Dec 19, 2012
The Nobel Prize in Literature is not the only literary prize for which all nationalities are eligible. Other notable international literary prizes include the Neustadt International Prize for Literature, the Franz Kafka Prize, and the Man Booker International Prize. In contrary to the Nobel Prize in Literature and the Franz Kafka Prize, the Neustadt International Prize and Man Booker International Prize are awarded bienially. The journalist Hephzibah Anderson has noted that the Man Booker International Prize "is fast becoming the more significant award, appearing an ever more competent alternative to the Nobel".[63] The Neustadt International Prize for Literature is regarded as one of the most prestigious international literary prizes, often referred to as the American equivalent to the Nobel Prize.[64][65] Like the Nobel or the Man Booker International Prize, it is awarded not for any one work, but for an entire body of work. It is frequently seen as an indicator of who may be awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature. Gabriel García Márquez (1972 Neustadt, 1982 Nobel), Czesław Miłosz (1978 Neustadt, 1980 Nobel), Octavio Paz (1982 Neustadt, 1990 Nobel), Tomas Tranströmer (1990 Neustadt, 2011 Nobel) were first awarded the Neustadt International Prize for Literature before being awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature.

The Man Booker International Prize "highlights one writer's overall contribution to fiction on the world stage"[66] and "has literary excellence as its sole focus".[66] Established in 2005, it is not yet possible to analyze its importance on potential future Nobel Prize in Literature winners. However, the winners of the Man Booker International Prize, Ismail Kadare (2005), Chinua Achebe (2007), Alice Munro (2009), and Philip Roth (2011) are all considered perennial contenders for the Nobel Prize in Literature.

There are also prizes for honouring the lifetime achievement of writers in specific languages, like the Miguel de Cervantes Prize (for Spanish language, established in 1976) and the Camões Prize (for Portuguese language, established in 1989). Nobel winners who were also awarded the Miguel de Cervantes Prize include Octavio Paz (1981 Cervantes, 1990 Nobel); Mario Vargas Llosa (1994 Cervantes, 2010 Nobel); and Camilo José Cela (1995 Cervantes, 1989 Nobel). José Saramago is the only author to win both the Camões Prize (1995) and the Nobel Prize (1998) to date.
source:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nobel_Prize_in_Literature

2 Likes

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by Nobody: 9:54pm On Dec 19, 2012
Baby mama:

You still dey here
Ngwa another award coming your way
Nobody is omparing Achebe to Soyinka.I love Soyinka,I love his work
But your hatred of Igbos will not allow you appreciate Achebe my hat is the difference between me and you so since Ahebe makes you uncomfortable,let me add to your diislmfort

Oya collect another one and add to your misery

This is from 2007,the same artist without relevance grin grin grin grin grin

You can't even compare them. How can you compare death with sleep? There's a world of difference between the two.
Their works are quite different in contents, sophistication, literary soundness and even the tokenism of humanism. Dudes, they are miles apart and what the dead living has be crying all years to achieve was actually achieved effortlessly by the other in more than twenty five years ago. It's more of an insult to compare Achebe with Soyinka, they don't operate in same league, in honesty, patriotism, literary soundness, activism, name it.

I don't hate Igbo, I do love some of them like J.J. Okocha to name just one. I hate liars generally and Achebe is the world's best liar. I hate revisionists and Achebe is second to none in that field. I hate laziness and Achebe is even more lazy than laziness. I hate bigotry and Achebe is nothing but a wicked bigot. Achebe is full of hate, hatred and the demons of history.

I am not surprised by listing wikipedia awards that pale into insignificance when the real thing is being mentioned. Who gives a fck about Booker prize? When was it started? We are talking of a legend of an award and Achebe name is missing!
Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by Nobody: 10:00pm On Dec 19, 2012
babapupa:

still, no Nobel..... still not good enough to command the ultimate literary recognition which is the Nobel. the first African and the only Nigerian Nobel winner for literature is whole soyinka and 20 billion copies of ashebes fabu, bitter and hate books can not change that.

Wole Soyinkas achievements are commendable
If this was a thread about Wole Soyinka,I will be all over it congratulating him
besides his Nobel,he is one of the few men that have suffered for the cause of Nigeria.
Prof Soyinka was imprisoned for the cause of Biafra and has written on the injustice of Biafra
Perhaps one of the few Yoruba men in that category
Igbos love Wole Soyinka
For you or anyone to try to peg Soyinka against Igbos is ludicrous
He won't even be on your side in this argument,he will be happy for Achebe
Soyinkas successes however does not take away one bit from Chinua Achebes
Prof Achebe has continually enjoyed world wide recognitions through out his career and is the author of the most widely read Book by an African author ever,published in over 50 languages
If it makes you or anyone uncomfortable ,tough!
Deal with it!

No apologies!
This thread is about Achebe not Soyinka
So even if you were taught from childhood to hate and be fearful of Igbos,you can change your perception by educating yourself and broadening your horizon.you will be better for it
Your parents ignorance does not have to be yours
You and the other fellow are sounding pathetic here

10 Likes

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by salam001(m): 10:01pm On Dec 19, 2012
babapupa:

So, you can not tell us what that senile and bitter old man believed in and died for? You are dumber than I thought..
common sense eludes you,must one Die for something to become a hero?smh

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18)

Ibaka Seaport In Akwa Ibom To Start Operations In 2015 / South-East Governors Are Confusionists - Junaid Muhammad / Ahmad Lawan: Buhari Will Be Challenged Under Me – Senate President Vows

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.