Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,844 members, 7,956,170 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 06:43 AM

Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 (20529 Views)

What Percent Performance Will You Give GEJ For 2012? / Onaiyekan, Sultan Nominated For 2012 Nobel Peace Prize / Shocking Predictions By Primate Elijah Ayodele For 2012/2013... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Go Down)

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by Tolexander: 6:37pm On Dec 19, 2012
centje: could list the indicator(s) that biafra was 'meant' to fail even before the war started?
the last time i heard a boy winning a man was several B.C ago when David won Goliath.
Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by Ikengawo: 6:38pm On Dec 19, 2012
Achebe has surpassed your petty world of internet articles and tribalism. He's a world treasure. Not simply a Nigerian or African one. He is sought after by the entire world to come and speak. His book is read from the US to Japan as a part of primary education. He's been translated in more languages than any african alive.

13 Likes

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by Nobody: 6:50pm On Dec 19, 2012
Tolexander: the last time i heard a boy winning a man was several B.C ago when David won Goliath.
you know chaff
Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by ezeagu(m): 6:52pm On Dec 19, 2012
Tolexander: i said nobel prize in literature, u are telling me number of copies sold.
10million copies of things fall apart while lady bird PETER and JANE sold 100million copies

What should an African writer care more about, spreading his message and his history and his culture around the world for millions to see absorb and be influenced by, or being dashed a title by a village committee in Sweden?

7 Likes

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by Afam4eva(m): 6:54pm On Dec 19, 2012
The memoir was written by Achebe on how he saw the war and the intrigues involved in it. So, it's his personal opinion. It's funny that those that have called for his head have not had the decency to deny some of the things he said rather they're busy cursing and telling us how Achebe is bitter because Soyinka refused to give him sweet. Achebe's truth is bitter and anyone can't contain it, they should jump of the closest bridge to them.

11 Likes

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by Nobody: 7:04pm On Dec 19, 2012
Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by Nobody: 7:06pm On Dec 19, 2012
^^^^The difference is that the REAL heroes were killed - however, the fake ones are celebrated by everyone...

Story of the black race... grin wink undecided
Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by ezeagu(m): 7:07pm On Dec 19, 2012
And how did your post above make Things Fall Apart any less popular?

10 Likes

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by Nobody: 7:08pm On Dec 19, 2012
Ok.
Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by Tolexander: 7:09pm On Dec 19, 2012
centje: you know chaff

Ambiguous!
Chaff(countermeasure)
chaff(dry part covering seed)
Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by chosen04(f): 7:11pm On Dec 19, 2012
hypeman: This picture had me roflmao - the two most overrated black men clowns ever IMO... cool

]

I thought you have stopped taking that ''stuff?''
Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by Nobody: 7:15pm On Dec 19, 2012
ezeagu: And how did your post above make Things Fall Apart any less popular?

I don't have a problem with Achebe and the popularity of his books, or lack thereof... However, making an overzealous claim that's borderline ridiculous about being an African icon is problematic... For how long are we going to let other people dictate our heroes to us?? Achebe might be an Igbo hero(due to his tribal chauvinism), but he's definitely not an African icon...

We dictate who our icons/heroes are and we don't use populist and Eurocentric agenda for that - we use their body of work and achievements in relation to the black cause to do that...

Btw, I was commenting on the picture of Achebe and Mandela...
Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by Nobody: 7:16pm On Dec 19, 2012
chosen04:

I thought you have stopped taking that ''stuff?''

What "stuff?" undecided
Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by Ikengawo: 7:18pm On Dec 19, 2012
hypeman: ^^^^The difference is that the REAL heroes were killed - however, the fake ones are celebrated by everyone...

Story of the black race... grin wink undecided
[size=14pt]
Nelson Mandela
[/size]is a Fake hero? LOL wooowwww

4 Likes

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by Nobody: 7:19pm On Dec 19, 2012
Benjamin Zephaniah is more of a black/African hero than Achebe - he's down for the cause and he's definitely a better writer... grin

Benjamin Zephaniah

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by Tolexander: 7:19pm On Dec 19, 2012
ezeagu:

What should an African writer care more about, spreading his message and his history and his culture around the world for millions to see absorb and be influenced by, or being dashed a title by a village committee in Sweden?

title by a village committee in sweden?
Messi, world footballer of the year by a village committee in Switzerland?
Bakassi peninsula was ceeded to cameroun by a village committee in Holland?

3 Likes

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by Nobody: 7:19pm On Dec 19, 2012
Ikengawo:
[size=14pt]
Nelson Mandela
[/size]is a Fake hero? LOL wooowwww

He's overrated... wink
Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by Nobody: 7:21pm On Dec 19, 2012
Some of our brothers from Eastern side of the Niger truly like be hailed for nothing, empty chest beating that amounts to nothing.

What's IoS? Independent on Sunday book selection! What some fools are celebrating here is tantamount to Sunday Tribune selecting a book as being good to read, nothing more. To the fools celebrating, how does this selection validate the contents of the book? There is a difference between a readable book and a factual one. The book is readable because it's written by Achebe but it's full of lies, lies and lies which are being deconstructed almost on daily basis.

Achebe goofed big time. He killed his literary career by publishing tissue of lies as personal history. I laughed really hard when the book was listed as non-fiction as if Achebe had ever written a fiction in his life. He should stop spending money to promote a bad book. Let him win the real thing: Nobel Prize and play in the first class league peopled by the likes of Wole Soyinka, Naguib Mahfouz,Nadine Gordimer etc.

7 Likes

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by babapupa: 7:23pm On Dec 19, 2012
GARRI (x7):

Thanks.

Besides, how can a man who served as a roving ambassador for the doomed Biafran government say the truth without bias??

The bitter man is still fighting the doomed and failed war as the biafra propaganda minister.

The senile man did not get the memo that the war ended 40 years ago and he got his azzz kicked.

No wonder he's yet to smell the Nobel.

5 Likes

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by Nobody: 7:38pm On Dec 19, 2012
Prof Corruption: Some of our brothers from Eastern side of the Niger truly like be hailed for nothing, empty chest beating that amounts to nothing.

What's IoS? Independent on Sunday book selection! What some fools are celebrating here is tantamount to Sunday Tribune selecting a book as being good to read, nothing more. To the fools celebrating, how does this selection validate the contents of the book? There is a difference between a readable book and a factual one. The book is readable because it's written by Achebe but it's full of lies, lies and lies which are being deconstructed almost on daily basis.

Achebe goofed big time. He killed his literary career by publishing tissue of lies as personal history. I laughed really hard when the book was listed as non-fiction as if Achebe had ever written a fiction in his life. He should stop spending money to promote a bad book. Let him win the real thing: Nobel Prize and play in the first class league peopled by the likes of Wole Soyinka, Naguib Mahfouz,Nadine Gordimer etc.

You cannot be a propaganda minister and not be well steeped in the art of lying. Nigerians are just not buying it this time around.

2 Likes

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by ezeagu(m): 7:52pm On Dec 19, 2012
Tolexander:
title by a village committee in sweden?
Messi, world footballer of the year by a village committee in Switzerland?
Bakassi peninsula was ceeded to cameroun by a village committee in Holland?

And how does a Noble prize increase or decrease the impact of an author?
Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by ezeagu(m): 7:55pm On Dec 19, 2012
hypeman:

I don't have a problem with Achebe and the popularity of his books, or lack thereof... However, making an overzealous claim that's borderline ridiculous about being an African icon is problematic... For how long are we going to let other people dictate our heroes to us?? Achebe might be an Igbo hero(due to his tribal chauvinism), but he's definitely not an African icon...

We dictate who our icons/heroes are and we don't use populist and Eurocentric agenda for that - we use their body of work and achievements in relation to the black cause to do that...

Btw, I was commenting on the picture of Achebe and Mandela...

And how did his status as a icon or no icon stop his novel from being the most widely read of a contemporary African author?
Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by ezeagu(m): 8:01pm On Dec 19, 2012
Prof Corruption: Some of our brothers from Eastern side of the Niger truly like be hailed for nothing, empty chest beating that amounts to nothing.

Oh, really?

Prof Corruption: Achebe goofed big time. He killed his literary career by publishing tissue of lies as personal history. I laughed really hard when the book was listed as non-fiction as if Achebe had ever written a fiction in his life. He should stop spending money to promote a bad book. Let him win the real thing: Nobel Prize and play in the first class league peopled by the likes of Wole Soyinka, Naguib Mahfouz,Nadine Gordimer etc.

Nice "first class league". So what is the most read Nigerian African novel in history?

2 Likes

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by Nobody: 8:02pm On Dec 19, 2012
ezeagu:

And how did his status as a icon or no icon stop his novel from being the most widely read of a contemporary African author?

My comment was directed to Ikengawo who was parroting the Igbocentric Achebe as an African/Nigerian treasure with the audacity to post a picture of two of the most overrated Africans to buttress his asinine point... That's the shiit that I don't like! grin

Achebe has done well for himself, no doubt...he definitely took Igbocentricism Biafracentrism/Achebe-ism to the next level - and I applaud him for that and all the success that comes with it... However, I'm allergic to overzealousness... wink
Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by ezeagu(m): 8:05pm On Dec 19, 2012
babapupa:

The bitter man is still fighting the doomed and failed war as the biafra propaganda minister.

The senile man did not get the memo that the war ended 40 years ago and he got his azzz kicked.

No wonder he's yet to smell the Nobel.

And Malik Shabazz, Martin Luther King Jr., Mahatma Ghandi, Nat Turner, Nanny of the Maroons, etc all got their "azzz kicked", yet your friends are quoting them as "real heroes", for what? Dying for what they believe in.

Under-believable!

3 Likes

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by ezeagu(m): 8:08pm On Dec 19, 2012
hypeman:

My comment was directed to Ikengawo who was parroting the Igbocentric Achebe as an African/Nigerian treasure with the audacity to post a picture of two of the most overrated Africans to buttress his asinine point... That's the shiit that I don't like! grin

Achebe has done well for himself, no doubt...he definitely took Igbocentricism Biafracentrism/Achebe-ism to the next level - and I applaud him for that and all the success that comes with it... However, I'm allergic to overzealousness... wink

Sorry, maybe I missed the African author that sold over 12 million of his novels about traditional life and had it published it during the independence movement in the 1960s.

2 Likes

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by Nobody: 8:09pm On Dec 19, 2012
ezeagu:
And Malik Shabazz, Martin Luther King Jr., Mahatma Ghandi, Nat Turner, Nanny of the Maroons, etc all got their "azzz kicked", yet your friends are quoting them as "real heroes", for what? Dying for what they believe in.

Under-believable!

They got their ar.se kicked, however, they died for what they believed in and never compromised... That's why I'll always put Christopher Okigbo on my list of the most-inspirational/greatest black people ever...
Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by ezeagu(m): 8:11pm On Dec 19, 2012
hypeman:

They got their ar.se kicked, however, they died for what they believed in and never compromised... That's why I'll always put Christopher Okigbo on my list of the most-inspirational/greatest black people ever...

That's nice.

1 Like

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by Nobody: 8:13pm On Dec 19, 2012
ezeagu:

Sorry, maybe I missed the African author that sold over 12 million of his novels about traditional life and had it published it during the independence movement in the 1960s.

I'm lost, bro... I already said I applaud him for his success, however, he's neither a Nigerian nor an African treasure... He's his own treasure albeit Igbo/Biafran treasure... He has never been down for the Nigerian/African cause - he's a divisive force in the Nigerian fabric and we need to measure his success on that premise, and stop calling him an African/Nigerian treasure...

1 Like

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by ezeagu(m): 8:15pm On Dec 19, 2012
Chinua Achebe is a living national treasure (for Africa, for Nigeria, and for the Igbo people).

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18)

Share Your Customer Service Experience At A Government Parastatal. / Dr. Adegbola Dominic Dies Of COVID-19 Complications (Lagos PDP Chairman Is Dead) / Chukwuemeka Nwajiuba Asks Court To Disqualify Tinubu, Atiku

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.