Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,269 members, 7,815,450 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:39 PM

Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? - Religion (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? (11214 Views)

Why Is Easter Always Falling On Different Dates? (picture) / Are You Comfortable In Your Place Of Worship?Read this photo inside / Seun We Want A Pagan Traditionalist Mod On The Religious Section (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by Zikkyy(m): 10:03am On Apr 11, 2013
Freksy: None of my comments, in any way, supports the conclusion you have chosen to arrive. To observe the Lord's supper the way it was divinely given means you observe it the way it was. My comment does not imply that every one would do it under an idol's name, hence the expression 'for those who would still ...'

We are saying the same thing. the problem i have with you is that you are not reading my posts. Read my question again below:

"If we change the name of the Lord's supper to 'sango' today, will that make the Lord's supper of pagan origin?"

and your response was.....

"The Lord's supper was divinely instituted, so nothing would change for those who would still observe it as was divinely given to them."

Nothing would change for those that observed as given by Jesus abi? so what are saying with response? are you saying the Lord's supper is now of pagan origin? maybe you don't know what it means to say something is of pagan origin. It means we can trace the root/beginning of that celebration to a pagan practice. so will changing the name of the Lord's supper to "sango" prove that Jesus adopted a pagan practice? i don't think so. What i read you say with your response is that it will not change the origin of the Lord's supper because it was divinely instituted. So no change of name can paganize a practice God recognize.

I want you to do the same the celebration of Jesus resurrection. prove that it started as a pagan practice (prove that it was not a variant of the Lord's Supper or some other celebration). and just like the the Lord's supper, you cannot prove on the ground that somebody change the name after 700 years of practice. you cannot prove it on the ground that some people modified the celebration 1,200 years later (i.e. easter egg and bunnies). You will have to go back to the very beginning and show the motivation for the first set of celebrants. To do otherwise will be to rely on hearsay or assumptions.

Freksy:
My comment does not imply that every one would do it under an idol's name, hence the expression 'for those who would still ...' Observing it under an idol's name would make it a devotion to an idol.

...and my conclusion does not imply that 'anyone' would do it under an idol's name. my focus was on the impact the name change will have on the origin of the Lord's supper. i.e. will the name change imply that Jesus adopted a pagan practice? because this is what you have been telling me with easter.

Freksy:
Again, note that 'Easter celebration' was adopted, not just the name, 'easter' as you think. When you transfer its name and transfer its traditions, tell me what is remaining.

...again i ask that you prove that the first set of people that celebrated Jesus resurrection used easter bunnies and easter egg. also prove that the name easter was used by the first set of celebrant. is my request that difficult to understand?

1 Like

Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by Zikkyy(m): 11:04am On Apr 11, 2013
Freksy:
Rather you are giving him pagan celebration, named after their goddess, an idol.

How do you prove that my prayers, praises and thanksgivings to God is pagan and directed at a goddess? did i sacrifice another human to God?

Freksy:
Therefore, tracing its origin will always take one to pagan.

Do the trace and post your findings here. Just ensure your trace goes back to the very beginning. Don't bring evidence from the 8th century o!

Freksy:
2. You don't also realize that the popular observances were not originated with Christian, but pagans,

i don't know anything bout that.

Freksy:
therefore tracing their origin will always take one to pagan.

you see the problem am having with you. Instead of tracing the origin of the celebration of Jesus resurrection, you are tracing the origin of colored egg and cakes. activities that were introduced after 700 years or more (i think) of peeps celebrating the Jesus resurrection.

Freksy:
The following quote says it all about the origin of it popular observances. "...The popular observances that still attend the period of its celebration amply confirm the testimony of history as to its Babylonian character. The hot cross buns of Good Friday, and the dyed eggs of Pasch or Easter Sunday, figured in the Chaldean rites just as they do now."—(New York, 1943), pp. 103, 107, 108;

The popular observance has babylonian character abi? all you need to do is show that this observances you refer to were also popular with the first set of celebrants. i don't think that will be difficult na?

Freksy:
In answer to your question, if the Lord's supper was originated with pagan, like Easter celebration, adding eggs and co to it 'will amply confirm the testimony of history as to its Babylonian character.'

You did not answer my question. you set a question for yourself and answered it. We all know Christ instituted the Lord's supper, it is not an issue of "if". Please respond to my question. What happens after i add colored egg and rabbit to my meal, will my action change the origin of the Lord's supper?
Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by Freksy(m): 11:13am On Apr 11, 2013
Zikkyy:

Don't conclude yet. The issue of name is not something i have given serious consideration. my focus for now is on the origin of the celebration.

'Originally' here as used here is saying that the term 'Easter' referred to the 'spring festival in honor of the Teutonic goddess of light and spring'. The name was later used to describe the Christian festival designed to celebrate Jesus resurrection.

Then, does it require a rocket science for one to know that 'Easter celebration' is carrying an idol's emblem? The origin of Easter celebration will always take you to pagan, if you like try it a million times. I have told you, those eggs and rabbits you see in Easter festival do not miss their way at a.......ll! They know where they belong! Why not we talk about celebration prior to Easter in Christianity.

It depends, which Easter are you referring to? the celebration of Jesus resurrection or the spring festival? If you are referring to Jesus resurrection, i will say i don't know. if you referring to the spring festival, the question is not necessary.
If i may ask, how many Easter do we have? Can you prove that the festival supposedly designed to celebrate the resurrection of Christ was also called 'Easter'?

It depends. the goddess did not trademark the name. you can modify your question by being a bit specific. For the Babylonians Easter may be referring to a goddess.
BTW, you are yet to answer my question.

She did not trademark the name, but she trademarked her belongings, how can you reconcile that? The Catholic Encyclopedia tells us: "A great many pagan customs, celebrating the return of spring, gravitated to Easter. The egg is the emblem of the germinating life of early spring. . . . The rabbit is a pagan symbol and has always been an emblem of fertility."—(1913), Vol. V, p. 227.
Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by Zikkyy(m): 2:30pm On Apr 11, 2013
Freksy:
The origin of Easter celebration will always take you to pagan, if you like try it a million times.

Then prove it. trace the celebration of Jesus resurrection back in time to the time it was adopted from a pagan practice. simple.

Freksy:
I have told you, those eggs and rabbits you see in Easter festival do not miss their way at a.......ll! They know where they belong!

Lol grin are you saying you don't eat egg? what about rabbit stew grin

Freksy:
if i may ask, how many Easter do we have?

i don't know o! but i do know your version/understanding of easter differs from mine.

Freksy:
Can you prove that the festival supposedly designed to celebrate the resurrection of Christ was also called 'Easter'?

I cannot prove o! If it was not called easter at inception, then the origin of celebrating Jesus resurrection cannot be from pagan practice.

Freksy:
She did not trademark the name, but she trademarked her belongings, how can you reconcile that? The Catholic Encyclopedia tells us: "A great many pagan customs, celebrating the return of spring, gravitated to Easter. The egg is the emblem of the germinating life of early spring. . . . The rabbit is a pagan symbol and has always been an emblem of fertility."—(1913), Vol. V, p. 227.

Na wa o! who dey teach you this kind error? so the goddess get belongings? are you saying egg and rabbit are not from God again? haba! so when God made the rabbit, he made it as an 'emblem' of fertility? or when he was designing the egg he had "germinating life of early spring" in mind? So after all the work God went through bringing these things to existence, you are now giving credit to some goddess somewhere.

The goddess owns nothing! everything belongs to God. The problem is that men continue to put these things into inappropriate use. Using something that belongs to God in worship of other gods does not take away true ownership.
Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by truthislight: 7:29pm On Apr 11, 2013
Zikkyy:

is my request that difficult to understand?

Infact, your request is so daft!
Zikkyy:

"If we change the name of the Lord's supper to 'sango' today, will that make the Lord's supper of pagan origin?"

^ so daft a question!

The origin remains what it is.

Lords super = christ.

Easter = pegan. QED.

The truth is that Yahweh will not shear anything with satan but satan "keeps on transforming himself to an angel of light" to deceive people.

When Adam went obeying satan God abandoned him since God (Yahweh) cannot shear with satan worship in any way.

There is no way Yahweh will go to Sango worship because of whatever reasons deduced.

That you dont know the origin of Ishtar/easter does not mean that yahweh does not know and did not see its origin and it Worshpers appeasing satan,

That you passed such over to him later is very very short sighted of you and very very wrong.

You better take a lift from how Jesus dealt with him in prayers and respect so that you know how seriouse a thing it is dealing with yahweh.

Keep deceiving yourself by thinking that yahweh reasons like you.

Better go read about Yahweh and his dealings with the Jews.
*sigh*
Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by Freksy(m): 6:55am On Apr 12, 2013
Zikkyy:

We are saying the same thing. the problem i have with you is that you are not reading my posts. Read my question again below:

and your response was.....

"The Lord's supper was divinely instituted, so nothing would change for those who would still observe it as was divinely given to them."

Nothing would change for those that observed as given by Jesus abi? so what are saying with response? are you saying the Lord's supper is now of pagan origin? maybe you don't know what it means to say something is of pagan origin. It means we can trace the root/beginning of that celebration to a pagan practice. so will changing the name of the Lord's supper to "sango" prove that Jesus adopted a pagan practice? i don't think so. What i read you say with your response is that it will not change the origin of the Lord's supper because it was divinely instituted. So no change of name can paganize a practice God recognize.

I want you to do the same the celebration of Jesus resurrection. prove that it started as a pagan practice (prove that it was not a variant of the Lord's Supper or some other celebration). and just like the the Lord's supper, you cannot prove on the ground that somebody change the name after 700 years of practice. you cannot prove it on the ground that some people modified the celebration 1,200 years later (i.e. easter egg and bunnies). You will have to go back to the very beginning and show the motivation for the first set of celebrants. To do otherwise will be to rely on hearsay or assumptions.

Notwithstanding the fact that religious leaders proclaim Easter as a Christian celebration - celebration of jesus' resurrection, it is still pagan. No matter when ester eggs and bunnies were introduced, they are still pagan. Easter celebration is pagan. It's you that have to prove that what you are celebrating is not pagan, not someone else.

...and my conclusion does not imply that 'anyone' would do it under an idol's name. my focus was on the impact the name change will have on the origin of the Lord's supper. i.e. will the name change imply that Jesus adopted a pagan practice? because this is what you have been telling me with easter.

...again i ask that you prove that the first set of people that celebrated Jesus resurrection used easter bunnies and easter egg. also prove that the name easter was used by the first set of celebrant. is my request that difficult to understand?

Freksy:
We cannot discuss the origin of Easter celebration without the origin of the name, "Easter". The origin of the name 'Easter' is very crucial to knowing what the celebration is all about and how it got started. For example, if Easter is the name of a pagan goddess, an idol, that will simply tell you that Easter is the name of a pagan goddess, and thus, the celebration is in the name of an idol.
After the above, we then begin to look at the origin of its customs.

Origin of the name + origin its customs. Is that not what the above implies? Which one will be your proof, can't you defend your faith? Are you afraid?

1 Like

Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by Freksy(m): 7:50am On Apr 12, 2013
Zikkyy:

How do you prove that my prayers, praises and thanksgivings to God is pagan and directed at a goddess? did i sacrifice another human to God?

Do the trace and post your findings here. Just ensure your trace goes back to the very beginning. Don't bring evidence from the 8th century o!

i don't know anything bout that.

you see the problem am having with you. Instead of tracing the origin of the celebration of Jesus resurrectio[/b]n, you are tracing the origin of [b]colored egg and cakes. activities that were introduced after 700 years or more (i think) of peeps celebrating the Jesus resurrection.
The popular observance has babylonian character abi? all you need to do is show that this observances you refer to were also popular with the first set of celebrants. i don't think that will be difficult na?

Who introduced them, peeps? Who accepted them, non-peeps? Flimsy! I told you: name + traditions. Begin to trace them one after the other let see where they will take you to.

"Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers : for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness ? and what communion hath light with darkness ? And what concord hath Christ with Belial ? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel ? And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols ? for ye are the temple of the living God ; as God hath said, I will dwell in them , and walk in them; and I will be their God , and they shall be my people . Wherefore come out from among them , and be ye separate , saith the Lord , and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you , And will be a Father unto you , and ye shall be my sons and daughters , saith the Lord Almighty . " 2 Cor 6:14-18

Those things originated with pagans, and were associated with Easter festival of spring and fertility. They are not new things as far as Easter is concern. Don't claim ignorance, you know these things. Why not put your question this way: 'instead of tracing the origin of the celebration of Jesus' resurrection, you are tracing the origin of Easter celebration'.

You did not answer my question. you set a question for yourself and answered it. We all know Christ instituted the Lord's supper, it is not an issue of "if". Please respond to my question. What happens after i add colored egg and rabbit to my meal, will my action change the origin of the Lord's supper?

"Easter. Originally the spring festival in honor of the Teutonic goddess of light and spring known in Anglo-Saxon as Eastre. As early as the 8th century the name was transferred by the Anglo-Saxons to the Christian festival designed to celebrate the resurrection of Christ."—The Westminster Dictionary of the Bible (Philadelphia, 1944), by John D. Davis, page 145.

The origin of Easter is pagan, and will not change. The name Easter remains Easter, and has not changed from birth. Eggs and rabbits were associated with Easter celebration from the beginning, and they have not changed, therefore, your question is not relevant in this regard. Eggs and rabbits are not foreign to Easter celebration, look for another question.

See the bolded for the origin of Easter. Note the word 'originally', has to do with origin. That remains its origin, pagan. Eggs and rabbits were there from the beginning. If you have a particular celebration in mind you want us to talk about, better open up and stop this rigmarole.
Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by Zikkyy(m): 8:24am On Apr 12, 2013
truthislight:
^ so daft a question!

The origin remains what it is.

Lords super = christ.

Easter = pegan. QED.

grin daft question and yet you provided an answer. daft answer to a daft question abi? and the daft response has exposed your insincerity. it has shown the silliness in your theory that the pagan name given to a celebration is what makes the celebration pagan. Anyways, for writing out of point (even you got the answer right)and wasting the examiner's time, you get to lose marks. so am scoring you 3/10 grin a daft score abi? that's what you get for speaking from both side of ya mouth angry

truthislight:
When Adam went obeying satan God abandoned him since God (Yahweh) cannot shear with satan worship in any way.

are you saying Eve is satan? shocked i know it was Eve that influenced Adam. I guess Peter was worshiping satan at the time he denied Jesus? How come God did not abadon him. You people don't even understand what it means to worship satan. That's why you go about making false accusations.

truthislight:
There is no way Yahweh will go to Sango worship because of whatever reasons deduced.

Exactly what i have been trying to tell your freksy, your brother. unfortunately, you guys have been program to condemn without understanding what you are condemning.

truthislight:
That you dont know the origin of Ishtar/easter does not mean that yahweh does not know and did not see its origin and it Worshpers appeasing satan,

You dey there? how did you know the worshiper was appeasing satan? .....and i think you should restrict/limit your teachings to what you know (like zikkyy have done), you don't know what God saw.

truthislight:
That you passed such over to him later is very very short sighted of you and very very wrong.

You go about making false accusations when you don't even know what i do, and what is such behavior saying about you?
Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by Zikkyy(m): 8:46am On Apr 12, 2013
Freksy:
Notwithstanding the fact that religious leaders proclaim Easter as a Christian celebration - celebration of jesus' resurrection, it is still pagan. No matter when ester eggs and bunnies were introduced, they are still pagan.

na wa oo! you avoiding everything i have been saying and sticking with a written script. please show me where the original celebrants of Jesus resurrection called their celebration Easter!

Freksy:
Origin of the name + origin its customs. Is that not what the above implies? Which one will be your proof, can't you defend your faith? Are you afraid?

"Origin of the name + origin its of the customs (attached to the celebration of Jesus resurrection long time after the celebration started)". Oga this is not what am asking you. tell us about the origin of the celebration itself!

Freksy:
Easter celebration is pagan. It's you that have to prove that what you are celebrating is not pagan, not someone else.

There is nothing to prove. Kindly tell me how my prayers, praises and thanksgiving to God becomes a pagan act. cos i don't know.

Freksy:
Which one will be your proof, can't you defend your faith? Are you afraid?

what has egg and rabbit got to do with my faith?
Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by Zikkyy(m): 9:14am On Apr 12, 2013
Freksy:
Who introduced them, peeps? Who accepted them, non-peeps? Flimsy! I told you: name + traditions. Begin to trace them one after the other let see where they will take you to.

"Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers : for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness ? and what communion hath light with darkness ? And what concord hath Christ with Belial ? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel ? And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols ? for ye are the temple of the living God ; as God hath said, I will dwell in them , and walk in them; and I will be their God , and they shall be my people . Wherefore come out from among them , and be ye separate , saith the Lord , and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you , And will be a Father unto you , and ye shall be my sons and daughters , saith the Lord Almighty . " 2 Cor 6:14-18

Those things originated with pagans, and were associated with Easter festival of spring and fertility. They are not new things as far as Easter is concern. Don't claim ignorance, you know these things. Why not put your question this way: 'instead of tracing the origin of the celebration of Jesus' resurrection, you are tracing the origin of Easter celebration'.

This na one serious case!! i guess this is what happens when you argue from a checklist. all you have been saying here is that the origin of colored egg, rabbit pie and hot buns cake is pagan including the origin of the name easter. oga freksy what about the origin of the celebration of Jesus resurrection? is it pagan? if it is, kindly assist in tracing the celebration to the founders so we can understand. You are not helping anybody when you go about accusing people that celebrate Jesus resurrection of engaging in pagan activities. You have to help them by showing them the idea of celebrating Jesus resurrection is pagan!! it's a waste of time and energy trying to prove that some add-on are of pagan origin. If you can show that celebrating Jesus resurrection is pagan, you killed the argument!! it makes no difference whether they add holy water or anointing oil to the celebration, the ADD-ONs will not change anything!! let for one minute assume the name Easter is of pagan origin, and colored eggs, rabbit pie and hot buns cake is pagan and people you condemn decides to take your advise and change the name to something holy and they do away with the colored egg, rabbit pie and cake, will their action make the celebration of Jesus resurrection holy and acceptable to God? is that your problem? if it is not why waste our time discussion the origin of rabbit pie when we should be focusing on more important issues? for now i will assume your problem with Easter is the name given to it and that delicious rabbit stew and special hot buns cake grin You should know that some of the people you accuse of pagan worship have never seen an easter egg (though they chop egg regularly), they are yet to see an easter bunny (though rabbit stew has always been a special delicacy in some areas prior to the coming of the bible carrying oyinbo man) and they don't even know what hot buns cake look like not to talk of tasting it smiley
Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by Zikkyy(m): 9:35am On Apr 12, 2013
Freksy:
Don't claim ignorance, you know these things.

you see the way you people think. too much assumptions angry learn to base argument/discussion on facts. why assume i know? the truth of the matter is i don't know.

Freksy:
Why not put your question this way: 'instead of tracing the origin of the celebration of Jesus' resurrection, you are tracing the origin of Easter celebration'.

Can you prove that am celebrating a spring festival? more 'faulty assumption' and false accusations. you guys sit in the comfort of your living room or kingdom hall (if you are JW) and begin to accuse people you've never seen in your life not to talk of knowing what they do. what is my business with the origin of spring festival, when we are discussing the celebration of Jesus resurrection. You people go about creating your own version of a practice and accuse some others of engaging in that practice. that is not a good thing to do.

Freksy:
"Easter. Originally the spring festival in honor of the Teutonic goddess of light and spring known in Anglo-Saxon as Eastre. As early as the 8th century the name was transferred by the Anglo-Saxons to the Christian festival designed to celebrate the resurrection of Christ."—The Westminster Dictionary of the Bible (Philadelphia, 1944), by John D. Davis, page 145.

The origin of Easter is pagan, and will not change. The name Easter remains Easter, and has not changed from birth. Eggs and rabbits were associated with Easter celebration from the beginning, and they have not changed, therefore, your question is not relevant in this regard. Eggs and rabbits are not foreign to Easter celebration, look for another question.

the origin of the spring festival is pagan, what about the origin of the celebration of Jesus resurrection?
Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by truthislight: 4:02pm On Apr 12, 2013
Zikkyy:

You dey there? how did you know the worshiper was appeasing satan?

cool

Smh for you.

So, the people of Babylon were worshiping Yahweh when Yahweh had not started dealing with people of the nations?

Was it not through christ that the way was opened to the nations?

Why then was yahweh angry when the king of babylon made used of the utensils from Jeruselam in his celebrations?

Why did the three Hebrews refused to worship the babylonian Idol and Yahweh rescued them?

Keep deceiving yourself.

Look! Yahweh is not one to play pranks with.

Jesus took so seriously his dealing with Yahweh, in prayer, in speech and all.
But you are here playing Games, sorry guy, its no game.

Ishtar/easter is a demonic cum satanic worship fromstart to finish.

If you like, force Yahweh to accept a name that belongs to satan na you sabi.

Smh.
Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by truthislight: 4:26pm On Apr 12, 2013
Zikkyy:

the origin of the spring festival is pagan, what about the origin of the celebration of Jesus resurrection?

You and co seems to have a better memory than Jesus and Yahweh.

See what Jesus remembered to do:

"And he took bread, and gave thanks, and brake it, and gave unto them, saying, This is my body which is given for you: keep doing this in remembrance of me. " (Luke 22:19).
......................................................................................

So, Yahweh and Jesus remembered to instruct us about that concerning the last supper celebration, but they forgot to command us to do same for his Resurection abi?

And you and co super smart duel decided to fixe their lapses abi?

Lol.
Smh for you.

I hope you super duel should all remember to tell Yahweh that this instruction was wrong:

NIV/ESV/
Now brothers, these things i have transferred so as to apply to myself and apollos for your good, that in our case you may learn the (rule): "Do not go beyond the things that are written" ...................
(1cor4:6)

Smh for lawlessness.
Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by Zikkyy(m): 7:47pm On Apr 12, 2013
truthislight:

cool

Smh for you.

So, the people of Babylon were worshiping Yahweh when Yahweh had not started dealing with people of the nations?

Was it not through christ that the way was opened to the nations?

Why then was yahweh angry when the king of babylon made used of the utensils from Jeruselam in his celebrations?

Why did the three Hebrews refused to worship the babylonian Idol and Yahweh rescued them?

Keep deceiving yourself.

Look! Yahweh is not one to play pranks with.

Jesus took so seriously his dealing with Yahweh, in prayer, in speech and all.
But you are here playing Games, sorry guy, its no game.

Ishtar/easter is a demonic cum satanic worship fromstart to finish.

If you like, force Yahweh to accept a name that belongs to satan na you sabi.

Smh.

i no get your time. only because you are my friend. smiley
Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by Freksy(m): 8:16pm On Apr 12, 2013
Zikkyy:

na wa oo! you avoiding everything i have been saying and sticking with a written script. please show me where the original celebrants of Jesus resurrection called their celebration Easter!
I will only show you when you put your question in unwritten form.

"Origin of the name + origin its of the customs (attached to the celebration of Jesus resurrection long time after the celebration started)". Oga this is not what am asking you. tell us about the origin of the celebration itself!

There is nothing to prove. Kindly tell me how my prayers, praises and thanksgiving to God becomes a pagan act. cos i don't know.
Are you arguing blindly? Recall that the op wanted to know if Easter celebration is biblical or whether it's a pagan way of worship. So, prove that it is biblical, not a pagan way of worship.

what has egg and rabbit got to do with my faith?
What have eggs and rabbits gotten to do with what you claim you are celebrating?
Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by Freksy(m): 9:30pm On Apr 12, 2013
Zikkyy:

you see the way you people think. too much assumptions angry learn to base argument/discussion on facts. why assume i know? the truth of the matter is i don't know.

What single fact have you offered so far to prove that worshiping God in the name of a goddess, an idol, is scriptural?

Can you prove that am celebrating a spring festival? more 'faulty assumption' and false accusations. you guys sit in the comfort of your living room or kingdom hall (if you are JW) and begin to accuse people you've never seen in your life not to talk of knowing what they do. what is my business with the origin of spring festival, when we are discussing the celebration of Jesus resurrection. You people go about creating your own version of a practice and accuse some others of engaging in that practice. that is not a good thing to do.

New year celebration is about new year; new yam festival is about new yam; Christmas celebration is about Christmas; birthday celebration is about birthday. Easter celebration is about Easter. Who was easter? She was the pagan goddess of spring and fertility! Many of the customs originally used in worshiping this ancient European goddess are the same ones used today in celebrating Easter.

The spring festival was easter celebration. Amongst the Anglo-Saxons the month of April was dedicated to the goddess of Spring. The Roman Catholic Church once stated that her (Easter) great feast has given its name to our Easter. The church went on to say that the feast in England was simply the old pagan festival observed with the gladness of a new solemnity.

Now tell me, what else would you like to hear from me before you are convinced that Easter celebration is rooted in pagan.
Your 'mantra' about the celebration of the resurrection of Christ was just an add-on to christianize it. The origin remains the same, my brother.
Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by Zikkyy(m): 8:39am On Apr 13, 2013
Freksy:

What single fact have you offered so far to prove that worshiping God in the name of a goddess, an idol, is scriptural?

New year celebration is about new year; new yam festival is about new yam; Christmas celebration is about Christmas; birthday celebration is about birthday. Easter celebration is about Easter. Who was easter? She was the pagan goddess of spring and fertility! Many of the customs originally used in worshiping this ancient European goddess are the same ones used today in celebrating Easter.

The spring festival was easter celebration. Amongst the Anglo-Saxons the month of April was dedicated to the goddess of Spring. The Roman Catholic Church once stated that her (Easter) great feast has given its name to our Easter. The church went on to say that the feast in England was simply the old pagan festival observed with the gladness of a new solemnity.

Now tell me, what else would you like to hear from me before you are convinced that Easter celebration is rooted in pagan.
Your 'mantra' about the celebration of the resurrection of Christ was just an add-on to christianize it. The origin remains the same, my brother.

Its very obvious you don't have a clue regarding the celebration of Jesus resurrection by Christians. You have not been able to show that the first set of celebrants were actually celebrating ishtar. You spend time creating your own version/world of pagan worship, then you put your target celebrant in it an then accuse them of pagan worship. You have absolutely no clue bout the activities opeople you are accusing. You should do away with what your church been feeding you and spend time reviewing the true activities of christian celebrants .the truth is that I have difficulty reconciling all you have been saying with what I observe during the celebration. You don't advise people if you don't understand their problem. It's very wrong of you to create your version of their problem and advice them base on that. You will achieve nothing. I think you still have a lot to learn.
Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by Enigma(m): 8:42am On Apr 13, 2013
^^^ Nice. Me, I jollified Easter and do so every year.

Now, if person wan say hin dey dere wen I dey worship some pagan god, I go jos laugh him ignorance.

Shikena. smiley
Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by Freksy(m): 10:31pm On Apr 13, 2013
Zikkyy:

Its very obvious you don't have a clue regarding the celebration of Jesus resurrection by Christians. You have not been able to show that the first set of celebrants were actually celebrating ishtar.

It was a dcelebrate thing by the church fathers. They perceived that if Christianity was to conquer the world it could do so only by relaxing the too rigid principles of its Founder, by widening a little the narrow gate which leads to salvation. Pope Gregory I continued this defiling trend. According to Natural History magazine, "instead of trying to obliterate peoples' customs and beliefs, the pope's instructions were, use them. If a group of people worship a tree, rather than cut it down, consecrate it to Christ and allow them to continue their worship." Both Jesus Christ and the apostle Paul predicted that Christianity would be infiltrated by false teachings.

It was the policy of the early Church to give a Christian significance to the pagan ceremonies that could not be rooted out. In the case of Easter the conversion was peculiarly easy. Joy at the rising of the natural sun, and the awakening of nature from the death of winter, became joy at the rising of the Sun of righteousness, at the resurrection of Christ from the grave.

In an attempt to justify Easter celebration, see below part of italo's post. Judge for yourself whether it's not the same policy as mentioned above that was at work. [/quote]

italo:
Most historians believe Halloween originated with the ancient Celtic festival of Samhain (pronounced SOW-in, SAH-vin, or SAM-hayne meaning “End of Summer”). During this festival people would light huge communal bonfires and wear costumes, mostly comprised of animal heads and furs, to ward off roaming spirits and ghosts.
When the eighth century rolled around, Pope Gregory III designated November 1 as “All Saints’ Day”, this was to be a time to honor all of the saints and martyrs who had passed on. This new holiday incorporated many of the traditions of the Samhain festival.

{Think of it this way, it’s much easier to paint an old building and put up a new sign than it is to tear it down and start from scratch. This was nothing new and had been done many times before. For instance, many Pagan customs were combined with Christianity when Constantine converted the official Pagan religion of the Roman Empire to Christianity between 320 and 330 A.D.}
Now, the evening before “All Saints’ Day was known as All Hallows’ Eve and this later became Halloween. Over the centuries, Halloween has evolved into a secular and very commercial celebration embraced by communities as more of a child-centric holiday with activities like trick-or-treating or decorating your home to look spooky.

Read the following scripture carefully and pay attention to your conscience - is it saying the actions of the church fathers were scriptural?

"Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers : for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness ? and what communion hath light with darkness ? And what concord hath Christ with Belial ? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel ? And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols ? for ye are the temple of the living God ; as God hath said, I will dwell in them , and walk in them; and I will be their God , and they shall be my people . Wherefore come out from among them , and be ye separate , saith the Lord , and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you , And will be a Father unto you , and ye shall be my sons and daughters , saith the Lord Almighty." - 2 Cor. 6:14-18

You spend time creating your own version/world of pagan worship, then you put your target celebrant in it an then accuse them of pagan worship. You have absolutely no clue bout the activities opeople you are accusing. You should do away with what your church been feeding you and spend time reviewing the true activities of christian celebrants .the truth is that I have difficulty reconciling all you have been saying with what I observe during the celebration. You don't advise people if you don't understand their problem. It's very wrong of you to create your version of their problem and advice them base on that. You will achieve nothing. I think you still have a lot to learn.

Isn't it funny that you are blaming me for what your church fathers did? Zikkyy, it's true that i have a lot to learn, but how come you that have known it all are absolutely blank about the history of your celebration.
Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by ijawkid(m): 11:16pm On Apr 13, 2013
Freksy:

It was a dcelebrate thing by the church fathers. They perceived that if Christianity was to conquer the world it could do so only by relaxing the too rigid principles of its Founder, by widening a little the narrow gate which leads to salvation. Pope Gregory I continued this defiling trend. According to Natural History magazine, "instead of trying to obliterate peoples' customs and beliefs, the pope's instructions were, use them. If a group of people worship a tree, rather than cut it down, consecrate it to Christ and allow them to continue their worship." Both Jesus Christ and the apostle Paul predicted that Christianity would be infiltrated by false teachings.

It was the policy of the early Church to give a Christian significance to the pagan ceremonies that could not be rooted out. In the case of Easter the conversion was peculiarly easy. Joy at the rising of the natural sun, and the awakening of nature from the death of winter, became joy at the rising of the Sun of righteousness, at the resurrection of Christ from the grave.

In an attempt to justify Easter celebration, see below part of italo's post. Judge for yourself whether it's not the same policy as mentioned above that was at work.

Most historians believe Halloween originated with the ancient Celtic festival of Samhain (pronounced SOW-in, SAH-vin, or SAM-hayne meaning “End of Summer”). During this festival people would light huge communal bonfires and wear costumes, mostly comprised of animal heads and furs, to ward off roaming spirits and ghosts.
When the eighth century rolled around, Pope Gregory III designated November 1 as “All Saints’ Day”, this was to be a time to honor all of the saints and martyrs who had passed on. This new holiday incorporated many of the traditions of the Samhain festival.

{Think of it this way, it’s much easier to paint an old building and put up a new sign than it is to tear it down and start from scratch. This was nothing new and had been done many times before. For instance, many Pagan customs were combined with Christianity when Constantine converted the official Pagan religion of the Roman Empire to Christianity between 320 and 330 A.D.}
Now, the evening before “All Saints’ Day was known as All Hallows’ Eve and this later became Halloween. Over the centuries, Halloween has evolved into a secular and very commercial celebration embraced by communities as more of a child-centric holiday with activities like trick-or-treating or decorating your home to look spooky.

Read the following scripture carefully and pay attention to your conscience - is it saying the actions of the church fathers were scriptural?

"Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers : for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness ? and what communion hath light with darkness ? And what concord hath Christ with Belial ? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel ? And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols ? for ye are the temple of the living God ; as God hath said, I will dwell in them , and walk in them; and I will be their God , and they shall be my people . Wherefore come out from among them , and be ye separate , saith the Lord , and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you , And will be a Father unto you , and ye shall be my sons and daughters , saith the Lord Almighty." - 2 Cor. 6:14-18

You spend time creating your own version/world of pagan worship, then you put your target celebrant in it an then accuse them of pagan worship. You have absolutely no clue bout the activities opeople you are accusing. You should do away with what your church been feeding you and spend time reviewing the true activities of christian celebrants .the truth is that I have difficulty reconciling all you have been saying with what I observe during the celebration. You don't advise people if you don't understand their problem. It's very wrong of you to create your version of their problem and advice them base on that. You will achieve nothing. I think you still have a lot to learn.

Isn't it funny that you are blaming me for what your church fathers did? Zikkyy, it's true that i have a lot to learn, but how come you that have known it all are absolutely blank about the history of your celebration.

The truth is zikky knows all about its history..but as usual with zikky anything goes.....just about anything and everything goes as regards worship of God..........even if it means worshipping God vicariously through sango,zeus, etc...

He can't tell you how easter started(definitly not with Jesus and his apostles) neither would he agree that easter had a pagan origin,,,,,,,.....so he's stuck in the middle arguing nothing and defending junk.........

Jesus would ask them when he returns if he ever commanded them to pick up ishtar,rub it to his name and ressurection and then commemorate it..........

cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by Freksy(m): 11:28pm On Apr 13, 2013
Zikkyy:

Its very obvious you don't have a clue regarding the celebration of Jesus resurrection by Christians. You have not been able to show that the first set of celebrants were actually celebrating ishtar. You spend time creating your own version/world of pagan worship, then you put your target celebrant in it an then accuse them of pagan worship. You have absolutely no clue bout the activities opeople you are accusing. You should do away with what your church been feeding you and spend time reviewing the true activities of christian celebrants .the truth is that I have difficulty reconciling all you have been saying with what I observe during the celebration. You don't advise people if you don't understand their problem. It's very wrong of you to create your version of their problem and advice them base on that. You will achieve nothing. I think you still have a lot to learn.

"Amongst the Anglo-Saxons the month of April was dedicated to Eostre or Ostara, Goddess of Spring; and her great feast has given its name to our Easter. Here again the Church was quite frank about it, and Bede states that the feast in England was simply `the old [pagan] festival observed with the gladness of a new solemnity.'" - Paganism in our Christianity, Weigall, p. 261, Gordon Press, 1974 (Reprint of the edition published by Putnam, New York.)

Curiosities of Popular Customs explains: "It was the invariable policy of the early Church to give a Christian significance to such of the extant pagan ceremonies as could not be rooted out. In the case of Easter the conversion was peculiarly easy. Joy at the rising of the natural sun, and the awakening of nature from the death of winter, became joy at the rising of the Sun of righteousness, at the resurrection of Christ from the grave."
Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by Zikkyy(m): 3:59am On Apr 14, 2013
Freksy:

It was a dcelebrate thing by the church fathers. They perceived that if Christianity was to conquer the world it could do so only by relaxing the too rigid principles of its Founder, by widening a little the narrow gate which leads to salvation. Pope Gregory I continued this defiling trend. According to Natural History magazine, "instead of trying to obliterate peoples' customs and beliefs, the pope's instructions were, use them. If a group of people worship a tree, rather than cut it down, consecrate it to Christ and allow them to continue their worship." Both Jesus Christ and the apostule Paul predicted that Christianity would be infiltrated by false teachings.

In an attempt to justify Easter celebration, see below part of italo's post. Judge for yourself whether it's not the same policy as mentioned above that was at work.

You continue to make the same blunder. There's no way Easter celebrants will take you seriously when you continues to speak in strange tongues. When I say you have a lot to learn, it's not just about knowing more information, it's also about your approach to showing people what they are doing is wrong. You have been talking like a pre-programmed computer that will repeat the same solution irrespective of what the problem is. I have done my best to give your thoughts on Easter a direction that Easter celebrants will easily identify with, but you continue to resist preferring instead to stick to the comfort of your world. In your long write-up above you did not say anything of relevance to the Easter celebrant.
Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by Zikkyy(m): 4:36am On Apr 14, 2013
Freksy:

"Amongst the Anglo-Saxons the month of April was dedicated to Eostre or Ostara, Goddess of Spring; and her great feast has given its name to our Easter. Here again the Church was quite frank about it, and Bede states that the feast in England was simply `the old [pagan] festival observed with the gladness of a new solemnity.'" - Paganism in our Christianity, Weigall, p. 261, Gordon Press, 1974 (Reprint of the edition published by Putnam, New York.)

Curiosities of Popular Customs explains: "It was the invariable policy of the early Church to give a Christian significance to such of the extant pagan ceremonies as could not be rooted out. In the case of Easter the conversion was peculiarly easy. Joy at the rising of the natural sun, and the awakening of nature from the death of winter, became joy at the rising of the Sun of righteousness, at the resurrection of Christ from the grave."

You are not saying anything. I asked that you show evidence that the first set of worshipers were celebrating ishtar. If you cannot do that, there is no way I can begin to make sense of your posts. Its the starting point. For you to understand how I view your comments so far, I'll tel bout an experience growing up in my hometown back in the days. I had this neighbor, a pagan that always wanted to participate in every celebration around him . At Xmas or New year celebrations he would buy goats and offer to his gods, pray to his gods. For him holidays were season you celebrate to your gods. He had two gods he was worshiping. You can imagine freksy coming to advise zikkyy based on his (freksy) understanding of my neighbor's activities. you cannot accuse me of worshiping my neighbor's gods. If you believe what I do is wrong you must address what I do, and not what you think I do. I don't see you can communicate effectively when you go about creating your own version of my activities. Like I said, you still have much to learn.
Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by Zikkyy(m): 4:46am On Apr 14, 2013
ijawkid:

The truth is zikky knows all about its history..but as usual with zikky anything goes.....just about anything and everything goes as regards worship of God..........even if it means worshipping God vicariously through sango,zeus, etc...

I did not plan on responding to any post you make till you answer the question you have been avoiding but I find something of interest in the above. So tell me, are you saying if I pray to God from sango shrine, God will not listen to or answer my prayer?
Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by ijawkid(m): 5:29am On Apr 14, 2013
Zikkyy:

I did not plan on responding to any post you make till you answer the question you have been avoiding but I find something of interest in the above. So tell me, are you saying if I pray to God from sango shrine, God will not listen to or answer my prayer?

Why should you go to sango shrine in the first place??...........to destroy what ever is there or to go worship your heavenly Father??.....
Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by Zikkyy(m): 9:56am On Apr 14, 2013
ijawkid:

Why should you go to sango shrine in the first place??...........to destroy what ever is there or to go worship your heavenly Father??.....

I did not go there to destroy the place and I did not go there to worship sango. The shrine is no longer in use maybe the sango priest don get visa relocate abroad grin oya answer the question angry
Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by ijawkid(m): 10:29am On Apr 14, 2013
Zikkyy:

I did not go there to destroy the place and I did not go there to worship sango. The shrine is no longer in use maybe the sango priest don get visa relocate abroad grin oya answer the question angry

Hehehehehehe..............

The shrine no longer in use and the priest relocated??......hope the sango priest also relocated with all his juju stuffs,and utensils used in that shrine and also you cleaning the building.......??............

Uh??.......excpet you want to worship with all the cowries and oiuja boards around you......grin......
Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by truthislight: 11:18am On Apr 14, 2013
Zikkyy:
are you saying if I pray to God from sango shrine, God will not listen to or answer my prayer?

and the answer:

ijawkid:

and your retort:

Zikkyy:

your have some issues my friend.
Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by truthislight: 11:21am On Apr 14, 2013
ijawkid:

excpet you want to worship with all the cowries and oiuja boards around you......grin......

but that is what they are doing with easter, with egg and Rabbit.

1 Like

Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by Zikkyy(m): 2:55pm On Apr 14, 2013
ijawkid:

Hehehehehehe..............

The shrine no longer in use and the priest relocated??......hope the sango priest also relocated with all his juju stuffs,and utensils used in that shrine and also you cleaning the building.......??............

Uh??.......excpet you want to worship with all the cowries and oiuja boards around you......grin......

You never answer the question. Will God reject my prayers? The priest left in a hurry, not enough time to clear all his stuffs grin
Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by Zikkyy(m): 3:15pm On Apr 14, 2013
truthislight:

and the answer:

and your retort:

your have some issues my friend.

I no get your time angry
Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by ijawkid(m): 4:28pm On Apr 14, 2013
Zikkyy:

You never answer the question. Will God reject my prayers? The priest left in a hurry, not enough time to clear all his stuffs grin

Why did you go there??..........wetin make of all the good places for the world na ifa priest shrine you wan go worship God.......??

Which spirit push u go there??.....grin....

Your question will not make sense until you tell me why on earth a servant of God would insist on going to a shrine(wether the priest don pick race or not) to worship God that hates shrines......

Them put gun for your head or where u tied up and locked up in the shrine with no whe®e to go??........cheesy

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

The Benefits Of Praising The Lord / Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? / 2014 Rapture Signs To Watch For

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 175
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.