Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,181 members, 7,815,137 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:01 AM

Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? (11212 Views)

Why Is Easter Always Falling On Different Dates? (picture) / Are You Comfortable In Your Place Of Worship?Read this photo inside / Seun We Want A Pagan Traditionalist Mod On The Religious Section (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by Freksy(m): 8:29am On Apr 05, 2013
Zikkyy:

Reading this again, ...and i remembered an event where Nehemiah, the priest and levites advised the people to party even when it was not commanded by law, and there is no evidence to show that God was angry.

Nehemiah 8:9-12 (NIV)
9 Then Nehemiah the governor, Ezra the priest and teacher of the Law, and the Levites who were instructing the people said to them all, “This day is holy to the LORD your God. Do not mourn or weep.” For all the people had been weeping as they listened to the words of the Law.
10 Nehemiah said, “Go and enjoy choice food and sweet drinks, and send some to those who have nothing prepared. This day is holy to our Lord. Do not grieve, for the joy of the LORD is your strength.”
11 The Levites calmed all the people, saying, “Be still, for this is a holy day. Do not grieve.”
12 Then all the people went away to eat and drink, to send portions of food and to celebrate with great joy,
because they now understood the words that had been made known to them.

No one is condemning such rejoicing. If I were there I would have rejoiced with them. Check again where you bolded on my post, it's about festival directed to God, like say, Easter festival. The people's rejoicing which resulted from their understanding of the law, was it a festival to God,? Not at all!

Rather, on the second day of the assembly, the heads of the people have a special meeting with Ezra to gain insight into the Law. They learn of the Festival of Booths that should be celebrated that very seventh month, and they immediately arrange to build booths for this feast to God. Neh. 8:13-16

And all the congregation of them that were come again out of the captivity made booths , and sat under the booths : for since the days of Jeshua the son of Nun unto that day had not the children of Israel done so . And there was very great gladness . Also day by day , from the first day unto the last day , he read in the book of the law of God . And they kept the feast seven days ; and on the eighth day was a solemn assembly ,according unto the manner."—Neh. 8:17, 18; Lev. 23:33-36

Note the expression: "according unto the manner" KJV; "as was required. " NET ; "according unto the ordinance" ASV

I appreciate your effort, please keep searching the scriptures, perhaps, you will suddenly come across a festival directed to God that men sat down, reasoned in out by themselves, in the end, the Almighty approved.
Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by Zikkyy(m): 9:08am On Apr 05, 2013
ijawkid:
would you have or would any Easter celebrant have observed the Easter celebration down till today if it was not instituted by the catholic church?....

am sure it never occurred to you that people (in their own way) celebrate on a daily basis. The only reason you noticed the Easter or Christmas celebrations is because an holiday is declared which enables large group participation. I do know the catholic church has other feast you never get to hear of, simply because there is no holiday. Institution of a celebration by the church allowed for participation, that is not say everybody participates in this celebration or that people don't on their own reflect on some of these things and celebrate in their way.

ijawkid:
because from all your talks iI can see that d origin means nothing to u.....

You people are yet to give me the full (& unbiased) gist of the origin, have actually been waiting for somebody to post something on the origin.

ijawkid:
Jesus didnt set the precedent,his apostles who are part of d major foundation of Christianity didnt....

Do you live a life based on precedent? please answer.

ijawkid:
your problem is your sense of identifying whats right or wrong is totally warped....as for u anything and everything is acceptable to God....smoking marijuana,celebrating,pagan originated festivals,,(maybe even doing tattoos)..cheesy

Unlike you guys, i never allow my emotions influence my reasoning. I don't do hearsay either. I look at issues with a discerning spirit.

ijawkid:
learn and follow d steps of Jesus and other faithful servants of God and stop being part of this Satan ruled world...

If you are not part of "satan ruled world", what are you doing on NL?
Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by Zikkyy(m): 9:40am On Apr 05, 2013
Freksy:
No one is condemning such rejoicing. If I were there I would have rejoiced with them. Check again where you bolded on my post, it's about festival directed to God, like say, Easter festival. The people's rejoicing which resulted from their understanding of the law, was it a festival to God,? Not at all!

What exactly is a "festival to God"? We are told the celebration happened on a day that was holy to the Lord. How is the celebration different from Easter? (other than it is not an annual event). They rejoiced after hearing/reading and understanding what has been made known to them. At Easter i see people do some reflections (based on their understanding of scriptures), prayers (which the Israelite would have done), fasting for some, some teachings in church then the celebrations - food & drink just like the Israelite. I did not forget the re-enactment of some of activities leading to Jesus crucifixion. Is there something am missing? please fill the gap. So what is not a festival to God, were the Israelite rejoicing, eating and drinking because they heard the words of the law as issued by Baal?

Freksy:
And all the congregation of them that were come again out of the captivity made booths , and sat under the booths : for since the days of Jeshua the son of Nun unto that day had not the children of Israel done so . And there was very great gladness . Also day by day , from the first day unto the last day , he read in the book of the law of God . And they kept the feast seven days ; and on the eighth day was a solemn assembly ,according unto the manner."—Neh. 8:17, 18; Lev. 23:33-36

Note the expression: "according unto the manner" KJV; "as was required. " NET ; "according unto the ordinance" ASV

Before nkor? it can only be done as stated in the law. if done any other way, they have not complied. I don't see any correlation between this and somebody celebrating Jesus resurrection.

Freksy:
I appreciate your effort, please keep searching the scriptures, perhaps, you will suddenly come across a festival directed to God that men sat down, reasoned in out by themselves, in the end, the Almighty approved.

What i see here is you people writing your own law so you can use it to condemn an action. There would be no argument if you can show that a commandment of the Lord have been breached.
Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by Zikkyy(m): 10:25am On Apr 05, 2013
Freksy:

..and let me repeat that same rule (for determining right or wrong) will apply irrespective of the action.
Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by ijawkid(m): 12:26pm On Apr 05, 2013
Zikkyy:

am sure it never occurred to you that people (in their own way) celebrate on a daily basis. The only reason you noticed the Easter or Christmas celebrations is because an holiday is declared which enables large group participation. I do know the catholic church has other feast you never get to hear of, simply because there is no holiday. Institution of a celebration by the church allowed for participation, that is not say everybody participates in this celebration or that people don't on their own reflect on some of these things and celebrate in their way.
.....I would have still noticed the easter or xmas celebration even if it wasn't made a holiday..thought the holidays attached to it even makes its root in paganism glaring...

The truth is people don't reflect on Jesus' ressurection until easter....you talk like you don't understand what's happening.....

Don't you celebrate the easter??....I would still ask you again:::: would you be celebrating the easter or know anything about it if the catholics did not kick start it??.....you think if individuals took there time to meditate on Jesus' sacrificial death I would be here arguing with u??.......the easter is a registered celebration that is done annualy,with a fixed date...........and a great crowd of persons are doing it.......why??......

Zikkyy:

You people are yet to give me the full (& unbiased) gist of the origin, have actually been waiting for somebody to post something on the origin.

You know sabi do research again??....or abi wikipedea no dey work for your phone??......

Go to the catholic encyclopedia or search for other posts here on nairaland to see the origin of easter and then come back here to defend it.....angry.....

Zikkyy:

Do you live a life based on precedent? please answer.

Yes I do.....my christian living is based on precedent.......Jesus' actions,his words,the examples of the apostles.......abi you no know??...

Zikkyy:

Unlike you guys, i never allow my emotions influence my reasoning. I don't do hearsay either. I look at issues with a discerning spirit.
Which discerning spirit would make a true christian not question pagan based celebrations,the having of tattoos,smoking of marijuana etc....??

Abeg check that spirit well.......

We are not allowing our emotions influence our reasoning,we only look at issues with the eyes of our Lord and the apostles.......
Zikkyy:

If you are not part of "satan ruled world", what are you doing on NL?

Hehehe...I'm here on nairaland to help people shun paganism that is covered with christian clothing.......cheesy
Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by Freksy(m): 12:32pm On Apr 05, 2013
Zikkyy:

What exactly is a "festival to God"? We are told the celebration happened on a day that was holy to the Lord. How is the celebration different from Easter? (other than it is not an annual event).
But a daily or weekly or monthly festival? Can you say YES to that?

They rejoiced after hearing/reading and understanding what has been made known to them. At Easter i see people do some reflections (based on their understanding of scriptures), prayers (which the Israelite would have done), fasting for some, some teachings in church then the celebrations - food & drink just like the Israelite.

At Easter festival, as you say, people today do something similar to what is described at Neh. 8:9-12. The people of that same Neh. 8:9-12 did those things at what festival? Can you mention as you have mentioned Easter? ..... Like I said before, condemning Easter does not mean condemning rejoicing, am sure you know this by now.

I did not forget the re-enactment of some of activities leading to Jesus crucifixion. Is there something am missing? please fill the gap. So what is not a festival to God, were the Israelite rejoicing, eating and drinking because they heard the words of the law as issued by Baal?

Can you please share the bolded with us?

Before nkor? it can only be done as stated in the law. if done any other way, they have not complied. I don't see any correlation between this and somebody celebrating Jesus resurrection.
Bros, it appears you have forgotten what you are trying to prove.
Can the same words in bold be as well used regarding Easter, as you claim Easter was also divinely instituted for God's worshipers? Moreover, who says Easter had anything to do with the resurrection of Christ? Can you prove this?

What i see here is you people writing your own law so you can use it to condemn an action. There would be no argument if you can show that a commandment of the Lord have been breached.
Lol... There are principles in the bible that show Easter celebration is wrong for Christians to take part in.
Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by Freksy(m): 1:29pm On Apr 05, 2013
Zikkyy:

..and let me repeat that same rule (for determining right or wrong) will apply irrespective of the action.

Is it proper to be sure of what you eat? You have to be sure of what you give to God, a holy being.
Prove that the above is not in line with the bible principle found at 1thess. 5:21-22 "On the other hand, don’t be gullible. Check out everything, and keep only what’s good. 22 Throw out anything tainted with evil." - MGB (The Message Bible)

It behoves you to carry out thorough research on easter, as others have done, to enable you see if Easter is tainted with evil.. What if your findings show Easter has evil root? The same text tells us what we must do - Throw it out! .... Supposed I am engrained in it so much that I can't let it go? James 4:17 is self-explanatory in this regard.

"So for one who knows the right thing to do and does not do it, it is a sin." James 4:17 NABRE (Catholic Bible)

The above are some of the bible principles that we must be guided by in our dealings with God.

1 Like

Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by Zikkyy(m): 2:20pm On Apr 05, 2013
ijawkid:
.....I would have still noticed the easter or xmas celebration even if it wasn't made a holiday..

...and you are yet to notice my celebrations?

ijawkid:
..thought the holidays attached to it even makes its root in paganism glaring...

are you now saying the idea of an holiday (work free days) is pagan as well?

ijawkid:
The truth is people don't reflect on Jesus' ressurection until easter....you talk like you don't understand what's happening.....

i see you don't know the real truth..anybody waiting till easter to reflect on Jesus resurrection is not really interested in Jesus. He is actually waiting for the holiday.

ijawkid:
Don't you celebrate the easter??...

i enjoy the holiday.

ijawkid:
....I would still ask you again:::: would you be celebrating the easter or know anything about it if the catholics did not kick start it??....

some elements of easter i do, easter or no easter.

ijawkid:
.....you think if individuals took there time to meditate on Jesus' sacrificial death I would be here arguing with u??.......the easter is a registered celebration that is done annualy,with a fixed date...........and a great crowd of persons are doing it.......why??......

so if individuals have their own easter, you no get issues. only when done as a group abi? it only becomes a sin when an activity is done by a great crowd abi? am beginning to understand your case.

by the way if JW memorial is done annually with a fixed date, why is the frequency and date for celebrating easter considered pagan? you see your bias.

ijawkid:
You know sabi do research again??....or abi wikipedea no dey work for your phone??......

Go to the catholic encyclopedia or search for other posts here on nairaland to see the origin of easter and then come back here to defend it.....angry.....

Una go give me PHD for the research? i cannot because of you spend valuable time doing research. na you talk say easter celebration get k-leg, meaning you know stuff we don't know. post the info here make we read na.

ijawkid:
Yes I do.....my christian living is based on precedent.......Jesus' actions,his words,the examples of the apostles.......abi you no know??...

which one be 'Christian' living, attempting to dribble your way out of the corner you put yourself abi? and i see you have added 'words' to your definition of precedence. anyways that will not save you, Christian living impacts every aspect of your day to day activities. so tell us where christ and the apostles used or told us to use internet & gsm phone, also tell us whether jesus built or told us to build kingdom halls, don't forget to tell us the precedent of how paul and the apostles (or even jesus self) was passing the bread round (without taking a bite) when they come together for the Lord's supper.

oya, over to you angry

ijawkid:
Which discerning spirit would make a true christian not question pagan based celebrations,the having of tattoos,smoking of marijuana etc....??

It's the same discerning spirit that enables me to understand your perspective plus much more. i see beyond what you see smiley

ijawkid:
We are not allowing our emotions influence our reasoning,we only look at issues with the eyes of our Lord and the apostles.......

You better check your glasses very well, cos you no dey see the same thing Jesus dey see.

ijawkid:
Hehehe...I'm here on nairaland to help people shun paganism that is covered with christian clothing......

You don't do that by accusing them of pagan worship when you don't know what they do.
Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by Zikkyy(m): 3:03pm On Apr 05, 2013
Freksy:
But a daily or weekly or monthly festival? Can you say YES to that?

so the reason it's pagan its because it is recurring? that's why easter is a sin? kindly confirm before i say more.

Freksy:
At Easter festival, as you say, people today do something similar to what is described at Neh. 8:9-12. The people of that same Neh. 8:9-12 did those things at what festival? Can you mention as you have mentioned Easter? ..... Like I said before, condemning Easter does not mean condemning rejoicing, am sure you know this by now.

my understanding of your initial position was that easter is wrong because it was not commanded. please confirm that this view is still valid. cos what am reading above is that easter celebration is evil because it's done on a normal day. My interpretation of the above is that if easter activities was done on say same day with the Lord's supper, it becomes an accepted celebration. kindly confirm.

if that's not what you are saying, then what the Israelite did is equally wrong cos it was not commanded by God simple.

Freksy:
Can you please share the bolded with us?

There's not much to share. i know of activities like palm sunday (i think there is a procession or something), i know of 'Holy thursday' (i think that has to do with some feet washing).

Freksy:
Bros, it appears you have forgotten what you are trying to prove.
Can the same words in bold be as well used regarding Easter, as you claim Easter was also divinely instituted for God's worshipers?

You are the one not understanding what am trying to prove. You don't find me saying "Easter was also divinely instituted for God's worshipers". That's false accusation. what am saying with the part of my post you bolded was that doing anything in a manner contrary to specification does not equate to compliance. But it only applies to activities required for implementing that law/instruction. That instruction cannot be extended to cover other activities. for e.g. If God says rest on sabbath, that instruction cannot be applied to other working days abi?

Freksy:
Moreover, who says Easter had anything to do with the resurrection of Christ? Can you prove this?

I don't need any proof. the celebrants says he is celebrating Jesus resurrection. It's the man that believes the celebrant is not celebrating Jesus resurrection that's required to tender evidence proving the celebrant is not telling the truth.

Freksy:
There are principles in the bible that show Easter celebration is wrong for Christians to take part in.

I am yet to see the principles. kindly share.
Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by Zikkyy(m): 3:16pm On Apr 05, 2013
Freksy:

Is it proper to be sure of what you eat? You have to be sure of what you give to God, a holy being.
Prove that the above is not in line with the bible principle found at 1thess. 5:21-22 "On the other hand, don’t be gullible. Check out everything, and keep only what’s good. 22 Throw out anything tainted with evil." - MGB (The Message Bible)

It behoves you to carry out thorough research on easter, as others have done, to enable you see if Easter is tainted with evil.. What if your findings show Easter has evil root? The same text tells us what we must do - Throw it out! .... Supposed I am engrained in it so much that I can't let it go? James 4:17 is self-explanatory in this regard.

"So for one who knows the right thing to do and does not do it, it is a sin." James 4:17 NABRE (Catholic Bible)

The above are some of the bible principles that we must be guided by in our dealings with God.

This is what i see in the post above;

1. bible verses saying we should do away with anything evil
2. your belief that easter celebration is evil
3. your refusal to provide the details of the 'evil' embedded in easter, instead advising we do our own research.

Na so? i don't see how you will be successful as a pastor/teacher if you adopt this approach. i have been waiting for you to provide the 'juicy' & 'evil' details in easter to enable me form an opinion. Do i have to bribe to get information around here?
Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by Freksy(m): 6:30pm On Apr 05, 2013
Zikkyy:

so the reason it's pagan its because it is recurring? that's why easter is a sin? kindly confirm before i say more.

Don't pretend, you know the reason Easter is said to be pagan. I used those questions to belie your claim that Easter is like what happened at Neh. 8:9-12. You said it was a festival, like easter except it did not take place annually like Easter. Any sane person that read Neh. 8:9-12 will know that wasn't a festival. Rather, they had the festival of booth some days later.
Easter is pagan, you know.

my understanding of your initial position was that easter is wrong because it was not commanded. please confirm that this view is still valid. cos what am reading above is that easter celebration is evil because it's done on a normal day. My interpretation of the above is that if easter activities was done on say same day with the Lord's supper, it becomes an accepted celebration. kindly confirm.
See my comment above.

if that's not what you are saying, then what the Israelite did is equally wrong cos it was not commanded by God simple.

There's not much to share. i know of activities like palm sunday (i think there is a procession or something), i know of 'Holy thursday' (i think that has to do with some feet washing).

You are the one not understanding what am trying to prove. You don't find me saying "Easter was also divinely instituted for God's worshipers". That's false accusation. what am saying with the part of my post you bolded was that doing anything in a manner contrary to specification does not equate to compliance. But it only applies to activities required for implementing that law/instruction. That instruction cannot be extended to cover other activities. for e.g. If God says rest on sabbath, that instruction cannot be applied to other working days abi?

Ok sir, but would it be correct to say that the decision to start celebrating Easter among Christian all over the world, was divinely inspired?

I don't need any proof. the celebrants says he is celebrating Jesus resurrection. It's the man that believes the celebrant is not celebrating Jesus resurrection that's required to tender evidence proving the celebrant is not telling the truth.

I am yet to see the principles. kindly share.

Why were you not contented with what the celebrants of "a feast to the LORD" at Ex. 32 :5&6 told you, but you went ahead to research further and furnished us with proofs that they were not actually doing it to the LORD as they claimed.
Whether you accept it or not, you need to proof easter. Was it not you that said nobody will condemn me for not doing it? If I will not be condemned for not doing it, what about those doing it? Are you thinking the admonition for you to prove easter is from me, it's from Paul "Prove all things ; hold fast that which is good" - 1Thess. 5:21 KJV
Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by Freksy(m): 6:51pm On Apr 05, 2013
Zikkyy:

This is what i see in the post above;

1. bible verses saying we should do away with anything evil
2. your belief that easter celebration is evil
3. your refusal to provide the details of the 'evil' embedded in easter, instead advising we do our own research.

Na so? i don't see how you will be successful as a pastor/teacher if you adopt this approach. i have been waiting for you to provide the 'juicy' & 'evil' details in easter to enable me form an opinion. Do i have to bribe to get information around here?

My brother, I understand the way you are feeling on this issue. It's not easy, some of us felt the same way too. It's now left for you and your conscience. Whatever you do, wherever you are, whomever you are with, keep reflecting on all that you have been told. I was happy to hear from you that nobody will condemn me for not celebrating Easter. My advice to you is, be sure that nobody will condemn you for celebrating Easter.
Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by Freksy(m): 7:53pm On Apr 05, 2013
Zikkyy:

Exodus 32:1 (KJV)
32 And when the people saw that Moses delayed to come down out of the mount, the people gathered themselves together unto Aaron, and said unto him, Up,
make us gods, which shall go before us; for as for this Moses, the man that brought us up out of the land of Egypt, we wot not what is become of him.

The Israelite were not worshiping God through the calf; they were actually worshiping the calf.

Exodus 32:8 (KJV)
8 They have turned aside quickly out of the way which I commanded them: they have made them a molten calf, and have worshipped it, and have sacrificed thereunto, and said, These be thy gods, O Israel, which have brought thee up out of the land of Egypt.

Well done! So the people decided how to worship and feast by themselves. Remember, you know this because you have searched the scripture to be sure of all things. Your findings show all they did, in reality, was to another god, though they tagged their festival "a feast to Jehovah" ASV - This is something one wouldn't have known until he reads beyond verses 5&6.

When i first quoted only verses 5&6, I wanted you to know that mere looking at their rejoicing and offerings and the purpose of their feast were not enough to conclude that they did the right thing. Forget about hearsay, Easter had nothing to do with the resurrection of Christ. Do what you did regarding "a feast to Jehovah" ASV.

You can forget about the era before crucifixion, the law was still in operation. you don't expect them to come up with celebrations not approved by the temple, do you? it was not their responsibility to design or create celebrations. and even after, the apostles would not consider celebrations. to answer your question - Don't know of any party originating from the apostles.
Don't you think the apostles had the opportunity to have created Easter, especially each time they want to celebrate the LORD's Supper, what exactly prevented them from doing that? Now, judging from your comment, it was our responsibility to creat Easter am I correct?

Its not a question of anybody forgetting or not being wise enough. It's not a do or die thing either. Nobody will condemn you for not doing it. It might just be how the person want to worship or probably based on the value/importance that event have on the celebrant's faith
Why will nobody condemn me for not doing it? What about those doing it? Ok, what about The Lord's supper, will I be condemned for not doing it? Give thoughts to those questions.

I don't see why you chose to make that distinction between general celebration and one directed to God. I believe same rule should apply in determining right or wrong.
There are principles that guide everything we do as Christians, with general celebration inclusive.
Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by ijawkid(m): 8:13pm On Apr 05, 2013
Zikkyy:

...and you are yet to notice my celebrations?
Hehehe.....by the time you promulgate a pagan celebration that has Jesus or His Father attached to it then we go fish you and your doctrine out....cheesy......it would have been better if the catholics kept there pagan embelished easter in there bedrooms.......so that we for no dey talk here....but as e be we need talk..and we must talk..the apostles would have done the same...

Zikkyy:

are you now saying the idea of an holiday (work free days) is pagan as well?
Naaaa.......that's not what I meant......

Zikkyy:

i see you don't know the real truth..anybody waiting till easter to reflect on Jesus resurrection is not really interested in Jesus. He is actually waiting for the holiday.

Tell that to easter celebrants who wait to run around with easter eggs and bunnies when easter arrives and to unanimously claim to be officialy celebrating the ressurection of Christ on easter day....cheesy

Zikkyy:

i enjoy the holiday.
grin...I thought you were a celebrant......you just enjoy the holiday alone...just like as an atheist would do??...

Zikkyy:

some elements of easter i do, easter or no easter.
......Just openely tell me you don't celebrate easter so that we can both rest.....do you celebrate easter??.

Zikkyy:

so if individuals have their own easter, you no get issues. only when done as a group abi? it only becomes a sin when an activity is done by a great crowd abi? am beginning to understand your case.
....Any Individual who would go search for pagan holidays and customs to offer to Gods son is also pagan my bro.......easter is said to be easter because its root is in paganism.....that is why the apostles had no business with it........
Zikkyy:

by the way if JW memorial is done annually with a fixed date, why is the frequency and date for celebrating easter considered pagan? you see your bias.
Jw's observe the memorial of Christ death only and only because its a precept......the difference between a Jw and the rest is that we don't assume in our heads what religious celebrations to offer to God or his Son........easter was never commanded by Gods son.......chikena......let what ever concerns Jesus be commanded by Jesus..is that hard for you guys to understand....

Zikkyy:

Una go give me PHD for the research? i cannot because of you spend valuable time doing research. na you talk say easter celebration get k-leg, meaning you know stuff we don't know. post the info here make we read na.
Na you wey dey deny say easter has no connection with paganism make us dey say make you go research find out about its origin...should we spoon feed u??........abi na another origin you know of??...since you and I know we can't find it in the holy books then where did it start from??...

Zikkyy:

which one be 'Christian' living, attempting to dribble your way out of the corner you put yourself abi? and i see you have added 'words' to your definition of precedence. anyways that will not save you, Christian living impacts every aspect of your day to day activities. so tell us where christ and the apostles used or told us to use internet & gsm phone, also tell us whether jesus built or told us to build kingdom halls, don't forget to tell us the precedent of how paul and the apostles (or even jesus self) was passing the bread round (without taking a bite) when they come together for the Lord's supper.
Hehehe......

ThE kingdom hall is just a covered roof where meetings take place.......it could be a bamboo house or anything...we could even meet under a tree..only be say rain and sun go worry us..........holding christian gatherings is not pagan,but easter is......abi??....if Christ was existing today he would have used gsm..na lie??........gsm is a means of communication and not a religious service....easter is..easter is not a secular holiday or celebration....its religious...don't you get it...its like asking why Jesus would board a boat when he was on earth.....transporting himself was necessary......

Zikkyy:

It's the same discerning spirit that enables me to understand your perspective plus much more. i see beyond what you see smiley
Lol....what is pagan can be white washed and attached to holy persons,,,,abi??...that's what the scripture teaches u??.....aLl you see is how you can do what ever you like and fix God in the middle without checking if God approves it......I can see you have the spirit that Jesus and his apostles never had...that spirit of converting what is rotten and pagan into what is
good.....cheesy

Zikkyy:

You better check your glasses very well, cos you no dey see the same thing Jesus dey see.

I dey see..that's why I no dey do easter......Jesus did not institute easter....so I'm really wearing Jesus' lens....grin.....you should check the one you're wearing...

Zikkyy:

You don't do that by accusing them of pagan worship when you don't know what they do.

I know the origin so I know what they are doing...cheesy....
Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by Freksy(m): 10:10pm On Apr 05, 2013
Zikkyy:

There is always that possibility that one can end up doing the wrong thing. The reason one should allow the spirit to guide him/her in everything.
With all sincerity of heart, would you say that those who adopted Easter from pagan were guided by the spirit?

I don't expect God to accept all offerings.
Why won't he accept, are they not offered to him and in his name? Ok, what about easter that his son has been dragged into? [/quote]

I was hoping somebody will post something that addresses this.
Really?

You do know you are attempting to write your own law here. all this while, i thought the law is written on our hearts, never knew we still have to go by the book! what's the difference between what are saying and living under the mosaic law?
what do understand by "the law being written on our heart?"

if all your activities are based on scriptural precedent you have no business posting on NL, afterall Jesus & the apostles did not use the computer
As a Christian, have you ever read about past events in the bible, and use the lesson learnt to make an informed decision?
That is why they gave us principles that we will be guided by, no matter how long we may live, and advanced the world may be. Laws may change, but bible principles will always remain unchanged. The more you study and understand the scriptures, the more you'll acquire the principles therein and be guided by in all you do, Internet use inclusive.
Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by Zikkyy(m): 10:14pm On Apr 05, 2013
Freksy:
I used those questions to belie your claim that Easter is like what happened at Neh. 8:9-12. You said it was a festival, like easter except it did not take place annually like Easter. Any sane person that read Neh. 8:9-12 will know that wasn't a festival. Rather, they had the festival of booth some days later.

You misinterpreted me again. I am not saying the event was a festival, only the activities are not so different from what I see done at Easter.
Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by Zikkyy(m): 10:19pm On Apr 05, 2013
Freksy:
Ok sir, but would it be correct to say that the decision to start celebrating Easter among Christian all over the world, was divinely inspired?

Am sorry, but questions like this I don't answer. You should take it upstairs.
Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by Freksy(m): 10:22pm On Apr 05, 2013
Zikkyy:

You misinterpreted me again. I am not saying the event was a festival, only the activities are not so different from what I see done at Easter.
You can't use that. ...That is one of the reasons I referred you to Ex. 32:5&6. It's too weak a reason to be used to justify Easter.
Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by Zikkyy(m): 10:36pm On Apr 05, 2013
Freksy:
Why were you not contented with what the celebrants of "a feast to the LORD" at Ex. 32 :5&6 told you, but you went ahead to research further and furnished us with proofs that they were not actually doing it to the LORD as they claimed.

There was no need for research. Was already familiar with exodus 32.

Freksy:
Whether you accept it or not, you need to proof easter. Was it not you that said nobody will condemn me for not doing it? If I will not be condemned for not doing it, what about those doing it? Are you thinking the admonition for you to prove easter is from me, it's from Paul "Prove all things ; hold fast that which is good" - 1Thess. 5:21 KJV

I don't see condemnation either way. For me it's a matter of choice.
Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by Freksy(m): 10:42pm On Apr 05, 2013
Zikkyy:

Am sorry, but questions like this I don't answer. You should take it upstairs.
It's not a must for you to answer all
Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by Zikkyy(m): 10:48pm On Apr 05, 2013
Freksy:
When i first quoted only verses 5&6, I wanted you to know that mere looking at their rejoicing and offerings and the purpose of their feast were not enough to conclude that they did the right thing Forget about hearsay, Easter had nothing to do with the resurrection of Christ. Do what you did regarding "a feast to Jehovah" ASV.

I don't have issues with their rejoicing. It obvious you do, so I believe you have info you need to share. If you are not keen on sharing your info, let's ignore the need for additional research.
Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by Freksy(m): 10:52pm On Apr 05, 2013
Zikkyy:

There was no need for research. Was already familiar with exodus 32.
Ok, but you know not everybody is familiar with it. So I couldn't have known if you were familiar with it or not.

I don't see condemnation either way. For me it's a matter of choice.
You're right about the bolded, it's your choice. We only advice that it should be informed, as life is involved.
Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by Freksy(m): 10:58pm On Apr 05, 2013
Zikkyy:

I don't have issues with their rejoicing. It obvious you do, so I believe you have info you need to share. If you are not keen on sharing your info, let's ignore the need for additional research.

Please which rejoicing do you think I have issue with, that at Ex.32 or that of Easter?
Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by Zikkyy(m): 10:59pm On Apr 05, 2013
Freksy:
Don't you think the apostles had the opportunity to have created Easter, especially each time they want to celebrate the LORD's Supper, what exactly prevented them from doing that? Now, judging from your comment, it was our responsibility to creat Easter am I correct?

I don't see it as a responsibility. It's a matter of choice. If it helps develop or sustain your relationship with God, please go ahead. If you feel like having a party anytime you reflect on the effect/importance of Jesus resurrection, go ahead & enjoy yourself.
Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by Freksy(m): 11:10pm On Apr 05, 2013
Zikkyy:

I don't see it as a responsibility. It's a matter of choice. If it helps develop or sustain your relationship with God, please go ahead. If you feel like having a party anytime you reflect on the effect/importance of Jesus resurrection, go ahead & enjoy yourself.
As I celebrate Easter or something else?
Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by Zikkyy(m): 11:13pm On Apr 05, 2013
Freksy:
There are principles that guide everything we do as Christians, with general celebration inclusive.

You should rely on Christ commandment instead of some strange principles.
Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by Zikkyy(m): 11:22pm On Apr 05, 2013
ijawkid:
.....Just openely tell me you don't celebrate easter so that we can both rest.....do you celebrate easter?...

That's a difficult question. I would say it depends. It's obvious your version of Easter differs from mine. If it's your version (don't know since you refuse to disclose), I don't celebrate Easter.
Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by Freksy(m): 11:33pm On Apr 05, 2013
Zikkyy:

You should rely on Christ commandment instead of some strange principles.
When you start reading the bible with a view to drawing practical lessons from every few verses you read, you will notice the difference. I know why they are strange to you. Anyone who truly loves God will not serve him with things from the gutters. Must prove that they are clean and free from paganism. Can you see that Jesus' commandment means more than what you thought?
I believe in 2Tim. 3:16 &17
Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by Zikkyy(m): 11:38pm On Apr 05, 2013
ijawkid:
ThE kingdom hall is just a covered roof where meetings take place.......it could be a bamboo house or anything...we could even meet under a tree..only be say rain and sun go worry us..........holding christian gatherings is not pagan,but easter is......abi??....if Christ was existing today he would have used gsm..na lie??........gsm is a means of communication and not a religious service....easter is..easter is not a secular holiday or celebration....its religious...don't you get it...its like asking why Jesus would board a boat when he was on earth.....transporting himself was necessary....

You never answer my question. Jesus said you eat and drink in remembrance of him. Kindly explain how you succeeded in doing something different. Just tell us how passing the plate and bottle round equate to compliance. I know the apostles complied with Christ instruction by eating.
Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by Zikkyy(m): 11:49pm On Apr 05, 2013
Freksy:
Why won't he accept, are they not offered to him and in his name? Ok, what about easter that his son has been dragged into?

What is being offered at Easter? I know of prayers, praises and thanks. Is there anything missing? These are activities expected of a Christian.
Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by Zikkyy(m): 11:56pm On Apr 05, 2013
Freksy:
As a Christian, have you ever read about past events in the bible, and use the lesson learnt to make an informed decision?
That is why they gave us principles that we will be guided by, no matter how long we may live, and advanced the world may be. Laws may change, but bible principles will always remain unchanged. The more you study and understand the scriptures, the more you'll acquire the principles therein and be guided by in all you do, Internet use inclusive.

What principles? who gave you principles? Can you provide two principles that is not address with Christ commandment?
Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by Freksy(m): 12:05am On Apr 06, 2013
Zikkyy:

What is being offered at Easter? I know of prayers, praises and thanks. Is there anything missing? These are activities expected of a Christian.
It's among the things you have refused to find out, but expect others to do for you. It's usually a global event as you know, so you have a lot to do.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

The Benefits Of Praising The Lord / Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? / 2014 Rapture Signs To Watch For

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 133
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.