Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,155 members, 7,815,024 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:18 AM

Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? (11211 Views)

Why Is Easter Always Falling On Different Dates? (picture) / Are You Comfortable In Your Place Of Worship?Read this photo inside / Seun We Want A Pagan Traditionalist Mod On The Religious Section (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by Zikkyy(m): 12:09am On Apr 06, 2013
Freksy:
You can't use that. ...That is one of the reasons I referred you to Ex. 32:5&6. It's too weak a reason to be used to justify Easter.

You told us that any celebration not listed as a command from God is a sin and will not be accepted by God. The reference to Nehemiah is not to justify Easter but to show your reasoning cannot be correct. The Israelites celebration was not command from God.
Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by Zikkyy(m): 12:13am On Apr 06, 2013
Freksy:
Please which rejoicing do you think I have issue with, that at Ex.32 or that of Easter?

We are discussing Easter na.
Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by Freksy(m): 12:23am On Apr 06, 2013
Zikkyy:

What principles? who gave you principles? Can you provide two principles that is not address with Christ commandment?
That simply shows, in obeying those two laws, a lot is involved. To show that you love God, you must not pick anything from the gutters to serve him with. Where his food is coming from means a lot to him. Hence, you must examine all things.....you remember that? You can't truly obey Jesus' commandment without paying attention to other scriptures.
Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by Freksy(m): 12:29am On Apr 06, 2013
Zikkyy:

You told us that any celebration not listed as a command from God is a sin and will not be accepted by God. The reference to Nehemiah is not to justify Easter but to show your reasoning cannot be correct. The Israelites celebration was not command from God.
It is your reasoning that was wrong. You bolded the word 'festival' on my comment and rather went ahead to point to something else. That Neh. was not talking about festival.
Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by Freksy(m): 12:34am On Apr 06, 2013
Zikkyy:

We are discussing Easter na.
Its root!

1 Like

Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by italo: 6:46am On Apr 06, 2013
Luke 24:41 "And while they still did not believe it because of joy and amazement, he asked them, “Do you have anything here to eat?” 42 They gave him a piece of broiled fish, 43 and he took it and ate it in their presence."

John 20:20 "After he said this, he showed them his hands and side. The disciples were overjoyed when they saw the Lord."

That is the account of the first Easter.

That is the root.
Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by Zikkyy(m): 7:49am On Apr 06, 2013
Freksy:
Its root!

Since you guys have refused to say anything bout the origin of Easter, we cannot be discussing its root. We are actually looking at the activities associated with Easter to see if it's breach of Christ commandments. From what I know, reflections, prayers, fasting, thanksgiving, praise singing, acting out some of the activities leading to Christ crucifixion are what I see from the people around me. and I find it difficult to understand why these activities should be considered pagan.

Anyways, italo appears to be an Easter celebrant and he told us the origin of his celebration. I don't see anything pagan in the origin. Case close.
Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by Freksy(m): 11:36am On Apr 06, 2013
Zikkyy:

Since you guys have refused to say anything bout the origin of Easter, we cannot be discussing its root. We are actually looking at the activities associated with Easter to see if it's breach of Christ commandments. From what I know, reflections, prayers, fasting, thanksgiving, praise singing, acting out some of the activities leading to Christ crucifixion are what I see from the people around me. and I find it difficult to understand why these activities should be considered pagan.

You still have the mind to repeat this lie? As you lie that nobody has said anything about the origin of Easter, does that not imply you probably have lied too regarding other things you've said about Easter? Have a quick flip through the pages, and response accordingly to what you see regarding its origin. Again, lets see how sincere you are: please type the words 'Easter egg' and 'easter bunny' in your device's dictionary and tell us what you see. That will probably and publicly show you've omitted a lot of things in your list of Easter's activities for obvious reasons.

Anyways, italo appears to be an Easter celebrant, and he told us the origin of his celebration. I don't see anything pagan in the origin. Case close.
Are you trying to indirectly tell me you don't celebrate Easter? As a bible scholar i am sure you know how the name "Passover" came about. I am sure too you know why what Jesus instituted at Luke 22:19 is called "the Lord's Supper" KJV. May you, plea.....se ask italo to tell us why their celebration of Jesus' resurrection is called 'Easter'? I believe some curious-minded ones too would be interested in knowing this from the guy whom you say appears to be a celebrant of Easter. Your failure to ask, and italo failing to response to you will show that you guys know the truth about its root, but can't dare to say it out. I heard you saying case close when we have just started.
Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by ijawkid(m): 12:31pm On Apr 06, 2013
italo: Luke 24:41 "And while they still did not believe it because of joy and amazement, he asked them, “Do you have anything here to eat?” 42 They gave him a piece of broiled fish, 43 and he took it and ate it in their presence."

John 20:20 "After he said this, he showed them his hands and side. The disciples were overjoyed when they saw the Lord."

That is the account of the first Easter.

only one who just came out from a beer parlor wuld assume that the verse u quoted is the first account of Easter....i can now see that after that instance the apostles suffered from amnesia and forgot about Easter,waiting for the Catholics to re-institute it....keep dreaming bro....

cheesy

1 Like

Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by italo: 1:27pm On Apr 06, 2013
ijawkid:

only one who just came out from a beer parlor wuld assume that the verse u quoted is the first account of Easter....i can now see that after that instance the apostles suffered from amnesia and forgot about Easter,waiting for the Catholics to re-institute it....keep dreaming bro....

cheesy

How do you know the apostles forgot about Easter?

Is that what God told you?
Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by italo: 1:57pm On Apr 06, 2013
Freksy:

You still have the mind to repeat this lie? As you lie that nobody has said anything about the origin of Easter, does that not imply you probably have lied too regarding other things you've said about Easter? Have a quick flip through the pages, and response accordingly to what you see regarding its origin. Again, lets see how sincere you are: please type the words 'Easter egg' and 'easter bunny' in your device's dictionary and tell us what you see. That will probably and publicly show you've omitted a lot of things in your list of Easter's activities for obvious reasons.

Are you trying to indirectly tell me you don't celebrate Easter? As a bible scholar i am sure you know how the name "Passover" came about. I am sure too you know why what Jesus instituted at Luke 22:19 is called "the Lord's Supper" KJV. May you, plea.....se ask italo to tell us why their celebration of Jesus' resurrection is called 'Easter'? I believe some curious-minded ones too would be interested in knowing this from the guy whom you say appears to be a celebrant of Easter. Your failure to ask, and italo failing to response to you will show that you guys know the truth about its root, but can't dare to say it out. I heard you saying case close when we have just started.

"The exact origins of this religious feast day's NAME are unknown. Some sources claim the word Easter is derived from Eostre, a Teutonic goddess of spring and fertility. Other accounts trace Easter to the Latin term hebdomada alba, or white week, an ancient reference to Easter week and the white clothing donned by people who were baptized during that time. Through a translation error, the term later appeared as esostarum in Old High German, which eventually became Easter in English. In Spanish, Easter is known as Pascua; in French, Paques. These words are derived from the Greek and Latin Pascha or Pasch, for Passover. Jesus' crucifixion and resurrection occurred after he went to Jerusalem to celebrate Passover (or Pesach in Hebrew), the Jewish festival commemorating the ancient Israelites' exodus from slavery in Egypt. Pascha eventually came to mean Easter."

http://www.history.com/topics/history-of-easter
Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by ijawkid(m): 1:59pm On Apr 06, 2013
italo:

How do you know the apostles forgot about Easter?

Is that what God told you?

Hehehehe...because it wasn't easter they did in the first place......angry.....

I would be so shocked if you press further to insinuate that it was easter Jesus and his apostles celebrated from the above verse you quoted
Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by truthislight: 2:49pm On Apr 06, 2013
Zikkyy:

Am sorry, but questions like this I don't answer. You should take it upstairs.

Do you mean "your Oga at the top"?

Would that be the pope?

1 Like

Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by italo: 3:13pm On Apr 06, 2013
We celebrate the resurrection of Christ, just like the apostles did.

Call it Easter, passover, pascha, pasque etc...

What matters is the essence of what we do.
Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by Zikkyy(m): 3:22pm On Apr 06, 2013
Freksy:

How can you say I lied? Please provide reference to the post made by either you or ijawkid showng the origin of Easter.

If you are scared of posting what you believe to be the origin of Easter, I don't see how you want people to believe you are serious.
Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by ijawkid(m): 3:27pm On Apr 06, 2013
italo: We celebrate the resurrection of Christ, just like the apostles did.

You still have not told us how d apostles celebrated Christ ressurection....by roasting fish abi??......

Lie lie!!!!!.......

Oh!!!....and they forgot to make it an annual festival...you see your life....

Your easter matters to its pagan origin and not Christ.......because Christ did not institute easter........
Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by Zikkyy(m): 3:34pm On Apr 06, 2013
Freksy:
Are you trying to indirectly tell me you don't celebrate Easter?

It depends. To answer your question I need to first understand your definition of Easter.

Freksy:
....se ask italo to tell us why their celebration of Jesus' resurrection is called 'Easter'? I believe some curious-minded ones too would be interested in knowing this from the guy whom you say appears to be a celebrant of Easter. Your failure to ask, and italo failing to response to you will show that you guys know the truth about its root, but can't dare to say it out. I heard you saying case close when we have just started.

Italo provided his knowledge of the origin of Easter. Do you have contrary info?
Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by Zikkyy(m): 3:37pm On Apr 06, 2013
truthislight:

Do you mean "your Oga at the top"?

Would that be the pope?

I had God in mind.
Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by italo: 6:55am On Apr 07, 2013
[quote author=ijawkid]

You still have not told us how d apostles celebrated Christ ressurection....by roasting fish abi??......

Lie lie!!!!!.......

Oh!!!....and they forgot to make it an annual festival...you see your life....

Your easter matters to its pagan origin and not Christ.......because Christ did not institute easter........

Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by ijawkid(m): 8:38am On Apr 07, 2013
[quote author=italo][/quote]

The apostles did not celebrate anything......don't tie them up to paganism.....angry....
Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by italo: 8:01am On Apr 08, 2013
ijawkid:

The apostles did not celebrate anything......don't tie them up to paganism.....angry....

Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by ijawkid(m): 9:07am On Apr 08, 2013
italo:

Why should I call it whatever I like??......

I thought Jesus and ad apostles did it...what did they call it??.....

Wayo boy!!!....
Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by italo: 9:46am On Apr 08, 2013
What matters is not the name they called it.

What matters is the essence of what they celebrated.

Even my dog knows this.

Did Jesus and the apostles worship in "Kingdom Hall?"...since names are so important to you.
Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by ijawkid(m): 9:49am On Apr 08, 2013
italo: What matters is not the name they called it.

What matters is the essence of what they celebrated.

Even my dog knows this.

Did Jesus and the apostles worship in "Kingdom Hall?"...since names are so important to you.

Lol.....the apostles did not celebrate anything called Jesus ressurection...you are such a blatant liar.........

The name matters and what ever is associated with easter matters a alot my bro......stop staining Jesus with your pagan celebrations.........

Essence my foot...!!!!!!
Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by italo: 10:33am On Apr 08, 2013
ijawkid:

Lol.....the apostles did not celebrate anything called Jesus ressurection...you are such a blatant liar.........

No I'm not.

ijawkid: The name matters and what ever is associated with easter matters a alot my bro......stop staining Jesus with your pagan celebrations.........

Essence my foot...!!!!!!

Then tell us where the name "kingdom hall" comes from.
Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by Freksy(m): 9:50pm On Apr 08, 2013
italo:

"The exact origins of this religious feast day's NAME are unknown. Some sources claim the word Easter is derived from Eostre, a Teutonic goddess of spring and fertility. Other accounts trace Easter to the Latin term hebdomada alba, or white week, an ancient reference to Easter week and the white clothing donned by people who were baptized during that time. Through a translation error, the term later appeared as esostarum in Old High German, which eventually became Easter in English. In Spanish, Easter is known as Pascua; in French, Paques. These words are derived from the Greek and Latin Pascha or Pasch, for Passover. Jesus' crucifixion and resurrection occurred after he went to Jerusalem to celebrate Passover (or Pesach in Hebrew), the Jewish festival commemorating the ancient Israelites' exodus from slavery in Egypt. Pascha eventually came to mean Easter."

The exact origins of this religious feast day's name are unknown. Some sources claim the word Easter is derived from Eostre, a Teutonic goddess of spring and fertility. Other accounts trace Easter to the Latin term hebdomada alba, or white week, an ancient reference to Easter week and the white clothing donned by people who were baptized during that time. Through a translation error, the term later appeared as esostarum in Old High German, which eventually became Easter in English. In Spanish, Easter is known as Pascua; in French, Paques. These words are derived from the Greek and Latin Pascha or Pasch, for Passover. Jesus' crucifixion and resurrection occurred after he went to Jerusalem to celebrate Passover (or Pesach in Hebrew), the Jewish festival commemorating the ancient Israelites' exodus from slavery in Egypt. Pascha eventually came to mean Easter.

Easter is really an entire season of the Christian church year, as opposed to a single-day observance. Lent, the 40-day period leading up to Easter Sunday, is a time of reflection and penance and represents the 40 days that Jesus spent alone in the wilderness before starting his ministry, a time in which Christians believe he survived various temptations by the devil. The day before Lent, known as Mardi Gras or Fat Tuesday, is a last hurrah of food and fun before the fasting begins. The week preceding Easter is called Holy Week and includes Maundy Thursday, which commemorates Jesus' last supper with his disciples; Good Friday, which honors the day of his crucifixion; and Holy Saturday, which focuses on the transition between the crucifixion and resurrection. The 50-day period following Easter Sunday is called Eastertide and includes a celebration of Jesus' ascension into heaven.

In addition to Easter's religious significance, it also has a commercial side, as evidenced by the mounds of jelly beans and marshmallow chicks that appear in stores each spring. As with Christmas, over the centuries various folk customs and pagan traditions, including Easter eggs, bunnies, baskets and candy, have become a standard part of this holy holiday.

http://www.history.com/topics/history-of-easter (Link provided by italo)
Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by Freksy(m): 9:54pm On Apr 08, 2013
italo:

Many have argued that Easter replaces the Jewish festival, "Passover", but ignor the fact that Jesus replaced the Passover, not with Easter, but with his memorial supper. Though the word "Easter" appears in the King James Bible, however, this was later admitted as an error of the translators. The original Bible word pascha simply means "passover," and that is the way modern translations (including the NKJV) render it.

If Easter means Passover, it implies that what you people are celebrating is, in fact, the commemoration of Isrealites' exodus from Egytp, and not the resurection of Christ, as you claim. Based on this and the returning of the word "Passover" to statusco in the NKJV, Pascha or Passover does not mean "Easter", as your church fathers earlier claimed and taught. Easter remains what it is - Easter/Eastre/Eostre/Ishtar, the goddess of spring and firtility, the Queen of heaven. Easter is rooted in pagan traditions. - See the last paragraph in the link you provided. http://www.history.com/topics/history-of-easterr compare Jeremiah 7:18.

1 Like

Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by Freksy(m): 10:26pm On Apr 08, 2013
italo:

Some sources claim the word Easter is derived from Eostre, a Teutonic goddess of spring and fertility.
For the above to be true there must be remnants of paganism in Easter celebration today. Interestingly, the last paragraph from the link provided by italo shows that over the centuries various folk customs and pagan traditions, including Easter eggs, bunnies, baskets and candy, have become a standard part of this holy holiday.

Do other sources agree with the evidence provided by italo's link that pagan traditons have become a standard part of Easter? The answer is, YES!

The Catholic Encyclopedia tells us: "A great many pagan customs, celebrating the return of spring, gravitated to Easter. The egg is the emblem of the germinating life of early spring. . . . The rabbit is a pagan symbol and has always been an emblem of fertility."—(1913), Vol. V, p. 227.

"Everywhere they hunt the many-colored Easter eggs, brought by the Easter rabbit. This is not mere child's play, but the vestige of a fertility rite, the eggs and the rabbit both symbolizing fertility."—Funk & Wagnalls Standard Dictionary of Folklore Mythology and Legend (New York, 1949), Volume 1, page 335.

"Easter. Originally the spring festival in honor of the Teutonic goddess of light and spring known in Anglo-Saxon as Eastre. As early as the 8th century the name was transferred by the Anglo-Saxons to the Christian festival designed to celebrate the resurrection of Christ."—The Westminster Dictionary of the Bible (Philadelphia, 1944), by John D. Davis, page 145.

In the book The Two Babylons, by Alexander Hislop, we read: "What means the term Easter itself? It is not a Christian name. It bears its Chaldean origin on its very forehead. Easter is nothing else than Astarte, one of the titles of Beltis, the queen of heaven, whose name, . . . as found by Layard on the Assyrian monuments, is Ishtar. . . . Such is the history of Easter. The popular observances that still attend the period of its celebration amply confirm the testimony of history as to its Babylonian character. The hot cross buns of Good Friday, and the dyed eggs of Pasch or Easter Sunday, figured in the Chaldean rites just as they do now."—(New York, 1943), pp. 103, 107, 108;

"The children gather firewood, the men build fires, and the women mix dough to bake cakes for the goddess they call the Queen of Heaven. They also pour out offerings of wine to other gods, in order to hurt me." Jeremiah 7:18 The Goodnews Catholic Bible (GNTCE)

Easter Bunny
In Europe, the hare has long been a traditional symbol of Easter. (In North America, the animal is a rabbit—a close relative of the hare.) Yet The New Encyclopædia Britannica explains that the hare was "the symbol of fertility in ancient Egypt." Thus when children hunt for Easter eggs, supposedly brought by the Easter rabbit, "this is not mere child's play, but the vestige of a fertility rite."—Funk & Wagnalls Standard Dictionary of Folklore, Mythology and Legend, volume 1, page 335.

"The Bible makes no mention of a long-eared, short-tailed creature who delivers decorated eggs to well-behaved children on Easter Sunday; nevertheless, the Easter bunny has become a prominent symbol of Christianity's most important holiday. The exact origins of this mythical mammal are unclear, but rabbits, known to be prolific procreators, are an ancient symbol of fertility and new life... " http://www.history.com/topics/easter-symbols (Through your link, http://www.history.com/topics/history-of-easter)

Easter Eggs
"Easter is a religious holiday, but some of its customs, such as Easter eggs, are likely linked to pagan traditions. The egg, an ancient symbol of new life, has been associated with pagan festivals celebrating spring. From a Christian perspective, Easter eggs are said to represent Jesus' emergence from the tomb and resurrection. Decorating eggs for Easter is a tradition that dates back to at least the 13th century, according to some sources. One explanation for this custom is that eggs were formerly a forbidden food during the Lenten season, so people would paint and decorate them to mark the end of the period of penance and fasting, then eat them on Easter as a celebration...."
http://www.history.com/topics/easter-symbols (Through your link, http://www.history.com/topics/history-of-easter)

Easter Candy
"Easter is the second best-selling candy holiday in America, after Halloween. Among the most popular sweet treats associated with this day are chocolate eggs, which date back to early 19th century Europe. Eggs have long been associated with Easter as a symbol of new life and Jesus' resurrection. Another egg-shaped candy, the jelly bean, became associated with Easter in the 1930s (although the jelly bean's origins reportedly date all the way back to a Biblical-era concoction called a Turkish Delight)...."
www.history.com/topics/easter-symbols (Through your link, http://www.history.com/topics/history-of-easter)

Easter Parade
"In New York City, the Easter Parade tradition dates back to the mid-1800s, when the upper crust of society would attend Easter services at various Fifth Avenue churches then stroll outside afterward, showing off their new spring outfits and hats...." http://www.history.com/topics/easter-symbols (Through your, link http://www.history.com/topics/history-of-easter)

1 Like

Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by ijawkid(m): 11:40pm On Apr 08, 2013
italo:

No I'm not.

Then tell us where the name "kingdom hall" comes from.

Oya oloÐo sÉe the definition of hall.

hall
[hawl]

-n.
1. a corridor or passageway in a building.
2. the large entrance room of a house or building; vestibule; lobby.
3. a large room or building for public gatherings; auditorium: convention hall; concert hall.
4. a large building for residence, instruction, or other purposes, at a college or university.

Now can we hear from you if easter, is found in the scriptures....

And before I forget,freksy just exposed your disingenuity.......

ThÉ place you copied your origin Óf easter from still exposes the pagan practice it is....sorry bro...Ýou can't hide.......grin
Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by ijawkid(m): 11:44pm On Apr 08, 2013
Freksy:

Many have argued that Easter replaces the Jewish festival, "Passover", but ignor the fact that Jesus replaced the Passover, not with Easter, but with his memorial supper. Though the word "Easter" appears in the King James Bible, however, this was later admitted as an error of the translators. The original Bible word pascha simply means "passover," and that is the way modern translations (including the NKJV) render it.

If Easter means Passover, it implies that what you people are celebrating is, in fact, the commemoration of Isrealites' exodus from Egytp, and not the resurection of Christ, as you claim. Based on this and the returning of the word "Passover" to statusco in the NKJV, Pascha or Passover does not mean "Easter", as your church fathers earlier claimed and taught. Easter remains what it is - Easter/Eastre/Eostre/Ishtar, the goddess of spring and firtility, the Queen of heaven. Easter is rooted in pagan traditions. - See the last paragraph in the link you provided. http://www.history.com/topics/history-of-easterr compare Jeremiah 7:18.

Italo thiÑks he can play glaring wayo and go scot free..........
Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by italo: 7:15am On Apr 09, 2013
ijawkid:

Oya oloÐo sÉe the definition of hall.

hall
[hawl]

-n.
1. a corridor or passageway in a building.
2. the large entrance room of a house or building; vestibule; lobby.
3. a large room or building for public gatherings; auditorium: convention hall; concert hall.
4. a large building for residence, instruction, or other purposes, at a college or university.

Now can we hear from you if easter, is found in the scriptures....

And before I forget,freksy just exposed your disingenuity.......

ThÉ place you copied your origin Óf easter from still exposes the pagan practice it is....sorry bro...Ýou can't hide.......grin

What I require is the verse that says we should worship in "Kingdom Hall" in the Bible.

If it is not in the Bible, where do you get the practice from?
Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by italo: 7:37am On Apr 09, 2013
Well, I think it is a rather open case regarding the source of the name Easter in the English Language. The link to the name of a germanic pagan goddess cannot really be disproven since the only historical reference to how Easter came to be called Easter does in fact refer to such a goddess. However the author, Bede, was writing after any worship for such a goddess had already died out. Its pretty much impossible to determine how much of his account was based on what he knew and how much on speculation made by either himself or others. There is a later reference to her in Grimm's fairytales, but this was almost certainly derived from Bede.

That being said, the name is not the important fact surrounding the Holiday. It is clear that in the rest of the world, the term passover (or its local equivalent) is the proper term for Easter. The proper celebration is not pagan, but decidedly Christian. What difference does the name make? Further the dating is set so as to ensure it normally coincides with the Jewish Passover (though as this year shows, there can occasionally be a big difference in the observance).

The feast did not even originate in English-speaking countries so how could the name "Easter" mean a pagan origin. Does that then mean that only English-speaking Catholics are pagans? Such nonsense can only emanate from mindless anti-Catholics.

If you have a problem with the word "Easter" then I guess you would have a problem with wedding rings, the names of the planets (Mars, Jupiter...), the stars and the constellations, the names of the week and so on, all of which are pagan. Pagans were and are a part of our history and many of their customs we have adopted to our present society. No big deal as they are no longer considered pagan. Anyone who believes such nonsense needs to study history and get a life.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

The Benefits Of Praising The Lord / Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? / 2014 Rapture Signs To Watch For

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.