Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,587 members, 7,955,165 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 06:29 PM

MRM Vs Feminism - Romance (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / MRM Vs Feminism (8750 Views)

Anti-feminism; A War That Men Cannot Win / Is Feminism Truly A Waste Of Time? / 7 Ways Feminism Is Destroying American Women (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: MRM Vs Feminism by yfo: 10:41pm On Oct 15, 2013
Wu Zetian:

My bad, I think I mistook you for the nipeks001 guy. Sowwy grin *whew!*

The only reason I select any part of your post is because that is the one I choose to address, duh! grin LoL. I don't bother talking about the ones we both agree on or the ones that are strictly your opinion and are in no way harmful to my cause.

"Patriarchy is a social system in which males are the primary authority figures central to social organization, occupying roles of political leadership, moral authority, and control of property, and where fathers hold authority over women and children. It implies the institutions of male rule and privilege, and entails female subordination".

If you want me to believe you actually aren't ignorant about the issues of feminism, the least you can do is get simple definitions right.
Patriarchy is not only pertinent to the family institution. One of the cries of feminism is to give women the ability to choose. If a woman chooses to make her husband the head, then fine but the problem is a society that mandates that men must be the head.

I doubt I'm going to allow my husband be the head, that's just because I'm more of a team player. I believe no person's decision is more valuable than the other and we both have to work hand in hand to achieve our goals. I believe a woman should become the head of the family if she chooses to and if her husband agrees to it.

I don't mind if an African man/woman agrees to gender roles, the issue here is their kids. Are you teaching your children that they are limited because of their gender or are you encouraging individuality?? A stereotypical Nigerian boy today thinks his worth depends on how much money he has, and a stereotypical Nigerian girl today is concerned about her looks and getting married to a guy that can financially take care of her before the age 30. A divorced woman in Nigeria today is seen as a taboo and a single woman past the age of 30 is viewed as a curse and a plague. Why?? Because in a patriarchal society, the sole purpose of a woman is child bearing and satisfying a man's sexxual needs.
I see threads every day on NL of people complaining about these things, which are all branches of the root problem-patriarchal society.
You might think Nigerians are not complaining but they are.

You can refer to this post for reasons why some women in Nigeria accept your beliefs.
https://www.nairaland.com/1469493/patriarchy-male-privilege/1#18751293

MRM is built on feminism. It exists because of feminism, their whole principle revolves around feminism. All MRAs do is talk about feminism, it's simply logical that we deviate to feminism when we talk about MRM. grin grin

I have agreed that the other aspects of patriachy isn't going to work out in our society of today as women should or have been given equal chances to participate in political and economic fortunes of our country. I should have worded my next line by saying I would focus patriachy on its family aspect as we basicly agree on the other areas, my bad.

You believe that females should be given the chance to head the family or co-run it, I don't believe in either as there would be instability in having two captains a ship and my reasons for the male being the leader (who consults his wife but takes the final decision) have been stated in your other thread. So we can agree to dis-agree on this matter.

On the stereotypical Nigerian children, I believe you guys would achieve more by educating the female child to have dreams and be self-independent. The reason why guys focus on having more money is because the ladies value it more than other qualities he posseses (the average girl I believe), this is my theory and I welcome any corrections if need be.

You may ask what is the job of the parents but I believe they encourage their kids (females included) to be the best they can be and such wrong beliefs bout material ish come from peer-presssure and external sources.

The previous two paragraphs are set in an environment -as we have in most places in Nigeria- that give equal opportunities for the male and female child to be who they want to be. To the best of my knowledge, women now have equal rights with men and have careers in any area of their liking.
The only area where I see males having any kind of edge (if you want to call it that) is in the family institution and I doubt it affects the girl-child in her future aspirations.

*this is the time I should start little moves to become (more than) friends with you, but from what I've seen so far....I'd be better off running to the opposite direction cheesy*
Re: MRM Vs Feminism by yfo: 10:44pm On Oct 15, 2013
By the way, I followed the thread you linked me to from start to finish and even made some contributions....don't tell me you didn't notice angry
Re: MRM Vs Feminism by nipeks001(m): 11:55pm On Oct 15, 2013
Wu Zetian:
LMAO!

Feminism is a collection of movements and ideologies aimed at defining, establishing, and defending equal political, economic, and social rights for women. (Let's get the meaning out of the way first)
I am a feminist, you are the one claiming my beliefs and ideologies are illogical, you have to tell me why. You don't claim something is illogical when you have no knowledge about what it entails neither do you have any logical points to back up your stance.

To say feminism is not taken seriously is to deny the great likes of Deborah Sampson, Alice Paul, Susan B. Anthoney and likes. Feminism is the reason why your mother can vote. This same feminism is the reason why your sister can be educated. This same feminism is the reason why your gf can work in top positions in her workplace.

Modern feminism have major goals:
1.) Obtain equal pay.

2.) Eradicate sexxual objectification of women.

3.) Social equality: Eradicating ills of society that mandates wives picking the last name of their husband. A woman should have a choice. Freedom of career choice. A woman should be free to choose whatever she wants to do with her life.
Gender roles: In a patriarchal society, it is not expected of the husband or son to be the caregiver because they are given the freedom to make their work a priority, just as a woman’s freedom is to make care-giving their priority. However, if a man focus’s on care giving rather than their work, they are no longer considered a “good man”. The same rule applies to women: if they focus on work before those they are supposed to care for, they are not considered a “good woman”. Feminists are saying being maternal does not make women better care-givers and they should be respected for choosing to put career over having a family and that men are not the only ones that should build a career, men are also care-givers and men should not be seen as vessels that are unable do house chores or take care of their kids. It's also about encouraging individuality in children.
(To be fair, this is not prominent in western cultures though, most fathers are more than glad to take care of their kids and help around the house. They see it as their duty not just the woman's duty.)

4.) Legal System: Though we have this in some countries, not so much in African countries though undecided Since women are the major victims of domestic abuse and r*Ape, there should be institutions/laws in-place to protect them.
1)Name a job where both sexes put in the same amount of work or effort(both intellectual and physical) and i know you might want to name some sports jobs.First of all in a sport like tennis,the amt of sets played is differs according to your sex(and i don't see you guyz whining abt this),thus more physical energy is required and used in male's category than their female counterparts and another thing you should note is that audience,fans in the case of sports matter a lot as there always seem to be quadruple more fans in male's category than female's,thus more money from ticket fees,tv rights,sponsorhip deals and consequentially more money for the sportmen.
2)The only reason you would be objectified is if you are lazy,don't have class and probably a liability(No man on earth would dare objectify hillary clinton) and also a man who is also lazy or does not bring any food to the table in a family will be called a useless good for nothing man.
3)Of all things,what is the oppresion in this,it's just like mrms being angry coz most country is always called MOTHERLAND and i don't agree that women don't have a choice coz i've even seen a situation here on nl where a lady discussed it with her fiance and he changed it and i even have a friend who both is parent joined their surname together for their children.
B)Like how,you mean females are forced on which course to study in the university?,in nigeria?.STOP BLAMING THE SOCIETY FOR YOUR SHORTCOMINGS,any girl that you see not starting on a path of a promising career,it's coz she is not ambitious and not coz of her society.
C)Of course women are appreciated @least i appreciate them but it's funny you said husband should help a housewife with house chores but you feminists did not say a house wife should also contribute like 30% to 40% of expenses and you guyz also seem not to appreciate the pressure on and how most men are breadwinners just as you want to be appreciated as a care-giver.
4) I think this affects everybody in general and not just a feminist issue as the same way a male who was robbed or lynched for the wrong reason's case will be dismissed with no justice or not looked to properly is the same way a raped girls case would be treated.
Re: MRM Vs Feminism by nipeks001(m): 11:59pm On Oct 15, 2013
Wu Zetian:
LMAO!

Feminism is a collection of movements and ideologies aimed at defining, establishing, and defending equal political, economic, and social rights for women. (Let's get the meaning out of the way first)
I am a feminist, you are the one claiming my beliefs and ideologies are illogical, you have to tell me why. You don't claim something is illogical when you have no knowledge about what it entails neither do you have any logical points to back up your stance.

To say feminism is not taken seriously is to deny the great likes of Deborah Sampson, Alice Paul, Susan B. Anthoney and likes. Feminism is the reason why your mother can vote. This same feminism is the reason why your sister can be educated. This same feminism is the reason why your gf can work in top positions in her workplace.

I clearly understands what feminism is all about and just bcoz i said feminist's agenda are illogical does not just suddenly make me a novice @ what feminism is all about and those women and had a succesful career mainly bcoz they were ambitious.
And just to make it clear,i support a feminism to some extent like the right to vote but when you guyz start seeing a male being or a head of the house or bearing is name as been inferior makes me think you would have seen your class rep in your school days as superior to you rather than someone who just have a role to play in the class.
Re: MRM Vs Feminism by nipeks001(m): 12:31am On Oct 16, 2013
ileobatojo:

Hi. I'd like to know what the poor girl child in India can do to earn a right to education equal to that of her brother. Thanks.
Note,i'm not totally against feminism,things like equal education rights and and right to votes should be feminist's agenda and not crying foul when been female is a disadvantage and enjoying the ride when been female is an advantage.
Re: MRM Vs Feminism by 99cent: 1:30am On Oct 16, 2013
The MRM in the USA are seen as a hate group. similar to the KKK or racists.
Comparing MRM to feminism is like comparing blacks in South Africa to whites during apartheid. it is very obvious who wields the power and who is subordinate.
Actually, talking about gender rights is a good way to sympathize with racist whites and how they feel about losing power to blacks. because most men who hate feminism must feel exactly the same way.
when you have been on top for so long. it is painful to relinquish that power and allow others to be at the same level as you.
how dare those domestic appendages (in Wole Soyinka's words) called women have any rights or influence.

1 Like

Re: MRM Vs Feminism by 99cent: 1:33am On Oct 16, 2013
nipeks001: Na wa o,u carry this matter for head gan o .@topic,I guess mrm are not hated coz they are not selfish and illogical with their agenda.My msg to all feminist:EARN EQUALITY,DON'T ASK FOR IT.

this is the same message racist whites give to blacks who seek equality.
the similarity in racism and sexism is very salient.
now you understand how whites felt in South Africa against the blacks who were 'asking' for rights.

1 Like

Re: MRM Vs Feminism by 99cent: 1:40am On Oct 16, 2013
Wu Zetian:

They are very vocal, they are just relatively new(compared to feminism) and non-existing in countries like Nigeria.

MRM will be pointless in Nigeria because Nigeria has no real implementation laws protecting women. Nigerian women do not enjoy any of the benefits listed except circumcision.

lol MRM is a fringe group in the USA. but it is very much mainstream in Nigeria.
like organic food movement in USA. we don't have a concept of organic food because most foods in Nigeria are already organic.
just like that, most men in Nigeria are very sexist. so talking about MRM doesn't make sense. extremely sexist men are majority in Nigeria, not a minority. what rights do they need?

2 Likes

Re: MRM Vs Feminism by Nobody: 3:08am On Oct 16, 2013
99cent: The MRM in the USA are seen as a hate group. similar to the KKK or racists.
Comparing MRM to feminism is like comparing blacks in South Africa to whites during apartheid. it is very obvious who wields the power and who is subordinate.
Actually, talking about gender rights is a good way to sympathize with racist whites and how they feel about losing power to blacks. because most men who hate feminism must feel exactly the same way.
when you have been on top for so long. it is painful to relinquish that power and allow others to be at the same level as you.
how dare those domestic appendages (in Wole Soyinka's words) called women have any rights or influence.

@highlighted: You are so right, so right!

In fact all of this post is "GBAM!! Quadruple Gbamest Gabmification!!"

99cent:

lol MRM is a fringe group in the USA. but it is very much mainstream in Nigeria.
like organic food movement in USA. we don't have a concept of organic food because most foods in Nigeria are already organic.
just like that, most men in Nigeria are very sexist. so talking about MRM doesn't make sense. extremely sexist men are majority in Nigeria, not a minority. what rights do they need?
Exactly. I guess this is what I meant but stated differently embarassed
Re: MRM Vs Feminism by Nobody: 3:25am On Oct 16, 2013
y-fo:
By the way, I followed the thread you linked me to from start to finish and even made some contributions....don't tell me you didn't notice angry
LoL, I skipped a lot of posts on that thread.
You should take time out to think about your thought process. Why do you believe what you believe?? What formed your belief system and what damage/good comes out of your ideologies.

If you were going to make them better, what would you change?? While you're @ it, ask your self some real questions.
Do I believe I'm superior to the opposite gender?? What makes me superior??
What really is the difference between the two genders?? Then embark on a research questioning if what you believe makes us difference have something to do with our nature, psychology or societal influence.
Watch out for sexist comments/actions/sayings is in your society.

I'm not trying to convert you to a feminist, I just want you to realize that you're sexist and slightly chauvinistic.
Re: MRM Vs Feminism by axion(m): 3:43am On Oct 16, 2013
@Wu Zetian

Oh how I find your mind fascinating cool

1 Like

Re: MRM Vs Feminism by Nobody: 3:50am On Oct 16, 2013
nipeks001:
I clearly understands what feminism is all about and just bcoz i said feminist's agenda are illogical does not just suddenly make me a novice @ what feminism is all about and those women and had a succesful career mainly bcoz they were ambitious.
And just to make it clear,i support a feminism to some extent like the right to vote but when you guyz start seeing a male being or a head of the house or bearing is name as been inferior makes me think you would have seen your class rep in your school days as superior to you rather than someone who just have a role to play in the class.
LMAO! Did you just say you aren't ignorant about feminism?? grin grin grin

Those women above were feminists who rebelled against the British and society. Deborah Sampson for instance disguised as a man in order to serve in the Continental Army during the American Revolutionary war.
Haven't you noticed a lot of historical Romance novels having authors with male names when they were clearly written by women??

My class rep in school didn't make decisions about my life. My class rep in school didn't get the position because of his/her gender. Just like the rest of your post, your analogy is found wanting.

Feminism is fighting against gender inequality in respect to females as a whole. This is an argument about feminism and MRM not Wu Zetian vs Nipeks001. This is an argument about the society(emphasis on SOCIETY) @ large. If you want to make this personal, you are in the wrong thread.

1 Like

Re: MRM Vs Feminism by axion(m): 4:22am On Oct 16, 2013
To understand the core of this discussion, one needs to be familiar - within an oppressive setting - with the concepts of privilege and prejudice (which are in some cases mutually exclusive).

Privilege is a set of advantages (or a lack of disadvantages) enjoyed by a majority group who are often unaware that they possess such a vantage point. Privilege is not seized by individuals, it is conferred by the society. It is about how the society accommodates you, where you are one of the "normal" majority and the others are the deviation from the norm, the ones being oppressed by the -ism. Fate has just decided to deal them the worst lot in that case.

Not every privileged person is inwardly prejudiced (sexist, racist, anti-homosexuality etc) but they mostly support such oppression (even if they are unaware of it) because that is the life and society they are used to.

Most of the MRM's ideologies are unnecessary and borderline poisonous to what feminism truly stands for. However, this still depends on the context of society, in order to identify who the oppressed and the privileged are in that particular context. As 99cent rightly said, in a place like Nigeria there is no need for a movement like MRM because by default the society is strongly sexist with a favorable bias towards the male gender.

Privilege makes it hard for privileged people to see from the perspective of the ones being oppressed. i.e. your perspective as a _______ probably means that you're unaware that other groups struggle with issues like _______ .

You can fill in the gaps above based on the privileges that your society has conferred on you.

This is Axion's 2 cents. I am male, and I am a strong feminist.

1 Like

Re: MRM Vs Feminism by axion(m): 4:25am On Oct 16, 2013
In a place like Nigeria we only really notice when something privileges female interests because the male privilege has thoroughly pervaded every nook and cranny of our society.

2 Likes

Re: MRM Vs Feminism by Nobody: 4:30am On Oct 16, 2013
axion: In a place like Nigeria we only really notice when something privileges female interests because the male privilege has thoroughly pervaded every nook and cranny of our society.

You shall marry me now! embarassed

In other words, "GBAM!" cool
Re: MRM Vs Feminism by Nobody: 4:37am On Oct 16, 2013
Interesting.
Re: MRM Vs Feminism by SaintChukz(m): 4:37am On Oct 16, 2013
^^^ To all the proponents and opponents of MRM & Feminism. I have a question for you all and that's - Let's assume in an idea situation all the priviledges you all are fighting and clamouring for becomes granted, what then will happen? Will the world end? Please i want you all to attempt an answer to my question. Thanks!
Re: MRM Vs Feminism by Nobody: 4:46am On Oct 16, 2013
Saint Chukz: ^^^ To all the proponents and opponents of MRM & Feminism. I have a question for you all and that's - Let's assume in an idea situation all the priviledges you all are fighting and clamouring for becomes granted, what then will happen? Will the world end? Please i want you all to attempt an answer to my question. Thanks!

What we are asking for as feminists isn't privileges, get your facts right.

1 Like

Re: MRM Vs Feminism by axion(m): 4:48am On Oct 16, 2013
@Wu Zetian hahahahaha!

@Saint Chukz No, the world won't end, but it will be a FAR better place.

If you're male and you still think feminism is not necessary, I just posted a list of male privileges that you may have become so used to in your society, that you don't even recognize them anymore. And some of these things are serious problems for women in your society. Feel free to let us discuss them there
https://www.nairaland.com/1479878/case-feminism-male-privilege-checklist
Re: MRM Vs Feminism by axion(m): 4:54am On Oct 16, 2013
@Wu Zetian Exactly

Saint Chukz: ^^^ To all the proponents and opponents of MRM & Feminism. I have a question for you all and that's - Let's assume in an idea situation all the priviledges you all are fighting and clamouring for becomes granted, what then will happen? Will the world end? Please i want you all to attempt an answer to my question. Thanks!
No, feminism is not clamoring for privileges. It is just asking for the female sex to be treated like normal human beings, as well.

1 Like

Re: MRM Vs Feminism by SaintChukz(m): 5:01am On Oct 16, 2013
Wu Zetian:

What we are asking for as feminists isn't privileges, get your facts right.
Uhmm...ok Rights or whatever you may call it. Axion thanks for your clarity in your response. Well i only wished if all this became granted, the world would end, because something tells me it won't end at that as long human and Man's desires and wants remain insatiable. ^ As for the Iron Lady up here...i reserve my comment.
Re: MRM Vs Feminism by yfo: 6:11am On Oct 16, 2013
Wu Zetian:
LoL, I skipped a lot of posts on that thread.
You should take time out to think about your thought process. Why do you believe what you believe?? What formed your belief system and what damage/good comes out of your ideologies.

If you were going to make them better, what would you change?? While you're @ it, ask your self some real questions.
Do I believe I'm superior to the opposite gender?? What makes me superior??
What really is the difference between the two genders?? Then embark on a research questioning if what you believe makes us difference have something to do with our nature, psychology or societal influence.
Watch out for sexist comments/actions/sayings is in your society.

I'm not trying to convert you to a feminist, I just want you to realize that you're sexist and slightly chauvinistic.

What is my motivation for going through that process you outlined up there ...
Anyhows, I can easily answer some of the questions you raised. I believe men and women are equal, with males having a biological edge which makes him naturally fit for some roles. In the other thread, cases of war scenarios and other dangerous situations were put forward and women and children's safety would be looked after first...no calls for gender equality there.

If believing that males should be the leaders in a home (having consulted his wife on issues) and that there are some gender specifc roles to be played (women are more emotional e.t.c) all the while supporting feminism in cases where outside the home women are being side-lined amounts to being a sexist and sligthly chauvinistic.....then I guess that is what I am.

Knowing you (abit), since you have deduced I can hardly be swayed I shouldn't be expecting any robust reply...so it's been nice having a good discussion with you (especially as it didn't degenerate into.... lipsrsealed)
Re: MRM Vs Feminism by Nobody: 6:25am On Oct 16, 2013
y-fo:
Anyhows, I can easily answer some of the questions you raised. I believe men and women are equal, with males having a biological edge which makes him naturally fit for some roles. In the other thread, cases of war scenarios and other dangerous situations were put forward and women and children's safety would be looked after first...no calls for gender equality there.

You keep on naming the few female privileges that has nothing to do with my questions. The only biological "advantage(note the advantage is in quotes) males have over females is physical strength. I wonder how that makes them better household leaders in today's society?? undecided

If believing that males should be the leaders in a home (having consulted his wife on issues) and that there are some gender specifc roles to be played (women are more emotional e.t.c) all the while supporting feminism in cases where outside the home women are being side-lined amounts to being a sexist and sligthly chauvinistic.....then I guess that is what I am.

How are women more emotional?? Why are women more emotional?? You are terribly misinformed and most of your points aren't well thought-out. Is anger, sadness, happiness not emotions?? What research did you base your opinion off on, is this a scientific proof?? What was the basis of measuring, where was the survey carried out, what part of the brain was examined?

Your arguments are pretty generic and they hold no weight. At least you have passed the first stage of progress, you have accepted your problems - you are sexist and chauvinistic. I hope you'll find motivation to fix them.

(It's not about you being swayed easily or not, it's about me valuing my sleep more.)
Re: MRM Vs Feminism by yfo: 8:16am On Oct 16, 2013
Wu Zetian:

You keep on naming the few female privileges that has nothing to do with my questions. The only biological "advantage(note the advantage is in quotes) males have over females is physical strength. I wonder how that makes them better household leaders in today's society?? undecided

How are women more emotional?? Why are women more emotional?? You are terribly misinformed and most of your points aren't well thought-out. Is anger, sadness, happiness not emotions?? What research did you base your opinion off on, is this a scientific proof?? What was the basis of measuring, where was the survey carried out, what part of the brain was examined?

Your arguments are pretty generic and they hold no weight. At least you have passed the first stage of progress, you have accepted your problems - you are sexist and chauvinistic. I hope you'll find motivation to fix them.

(It's not about you being swayed easily or not, it's about me valuing my sleep more.)

I can't continue going round in circles explaining myself after I have done so in the other thread in more detail...

You really do have a problem when people have a different opinion than yours, which is a sign of a pretty shallow person.
*newsflash* not everyone would share your beliefs and while I don't agree with some of your views, I have never stated you have a problem for holding a different opinion than mine.

5 Likes

Re: MRM Vs Feminism by Nobody: 8:26am On Oct 16, 2013
^^I don't mind people having a different opinion from mine as long as it is based off of facts and reasoning and it's not harmful to others.

y-fo:

I can't continue going round in circles
This, we both can agree on.
Re: MRM Vs Feminism by 190theclown: 8:29am On Oct 16, 2013
Wu Zetian:

You shall marry me now! embarassed

I give up

Re: MRM Vs Feminism by Nobody: 8:31am On Oct 16, 2013
190-the-clown:

I give up

Don't give up.

Isn't polygamy legal in Nigeria?? I can still marry both of you grin grin
Re: MRM Vs Feminism by 190theclown: 8:44am On Oct 16, 2013
Wu Zetian:

Don't give up.

Bye undecided
Re: MRM Vs Feminism by Nobody: 8:45am On Oct 16, 2013
axion: In a place like Nigeria we only really notice when something privileges female interests because the male privilege has thoroughly pervaded every nook and cranny of our society.

Brilliant!!. I concur with all you've said. Gracias wink
Re: MRM Vs Feminism by axion(m): 12:52pm On Oct 16, 2013
Wu Zetian:

Don't give up.

kiss Yes, polyandry or we can take turns angry
Re: MRM Vs Feminism by Nobody: 12:53pm On Oct 16, 2013
She is not even pretty.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Share Your Experience Lapping A Girl / When Your Gf Loves You, You Will Know Easily (pictures Added) / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.