Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,681 members, 7,955,517 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 08:05 AM

What Effect Does Marriage Have On You? - Romance (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / What Effect Does Marriage Have On You? (9160 Views)

Does Marriage Destroy Friendship?: Vote / What Does Marriage Means To You? / Does Marriage Make People Happy Or Do Happy People Get Married? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Effect Does Marriage Have On You? by Nobody: 11:35pm On Sep 21, 2008
see the kinds of threads tRooe loves. tongue
Re: What Effect Does Marriage Have On You? by onyinye2(f): 11:35pm On Sep 21, 2008
_Queenisha:

I'm sure you already know I'm not a door mat.
Submission does not mean being brain dead.
My mom says that it takes awhole lot of common sense to stay married.
A marriage will never ever work until the woman realizes that ther's no power tussle going on.
I had to learn that.
The fundamental thing is the kind of man one is married to.
Open your eyes during coursthip and be ready to call it quits at anytime if the man shows any signs of being unreasonable and abusive.
Respect is the key and being  Christian,I sought for a man na atu egwu Chineke (That fears the Lord)
And I have absolutey no problems in submitting to his authority.
A man who loves and respects your opinions is very easy to submit to
You see right there is my BIGGEST PROBLEM. I love to be in control. I know, yal know it, my family knows it, heck the whole world knows it. So when I lose that "control" I feel like I have no say in anything. That I am nothing but a puppet to your every move.
Re: What Effect Does Marriage Have On You? by Queenisha1: 11:37pm On Sep 21, 2008
Ruby_Pearl:

Like he stops a helping around the house, he starts smoking to ease stress, things like that.
I mean, imagine marrying a man that you can talk to, call at anytime time (where he can be reached), but then he stops picking up calls, doesn't help, and starts being distant

take him to Mountain of fire let them cast out demons from him grin
kidding.
If he starts being distant or picks up bad habits,he could be depressed.
and most men get to feel worthless when they're not performing optimally financially and it's worse when the wife nags.
Re: What Effect Does Marriage Have On You? by Nobody: 11:39pm On Sep 21, 2008
_Queenisha:

take him to Mountain of fire let them cast out demons from him grin
kidding.
If he starts being distant or picks up bad habits,he could be depressed.
and most men get to feel worthless when they're not performing optimally financially and it's worse when the wife nags.

The nagging part is inevitable. grin grin
Other than that, how to I prevent his depression?
Re: What Effect Does Marriage Have On You? by Queenisha1: 11:39pm On Sep 21, 2008
lol, too late to start thinking that way.

Men are like babies, I guess, you have to be a little more lenient on them.
Trust me, I'D compromise more often if thats going to make my husband happy.

Right Nwando?

Somehow, I want to read KarmaMod's reply on this topic. Where is she?  

True that. My mom had moi around 20-22, which I think was a bit too early.
What happens if my husband wants me to have babies right off, how do I deny? I mean, how can I persuade him to wait later on?

Communication,communication and all that before marriage.
get to know the man.
One person must have to compromise.
Re: What Effect Does Marriage Have On You? by tRoOE(f): 11:41pm On Sep 21, 2008
onyinye2:

Seriously. . . . this is what makes me so apprehensive about marriage.
And about kids. . . . . . . . idk
I want to enjoy life before i have to have responsibilities towards my own flesh and blood.
[size=13pt]same here, i guess that's y am getting cold feet[/size]

Ruby_Pearl:

lol, too late to start thinking that way.

Men are like babies, I guess, you have to be a little more lenient on them.
Trust me, I'D compromise more often if thats going to make my husband happy.

Right Nwando?

Somehow, I want to read KarmaMod's reply on this topic. Where is she? sad
[size=13pt]yea i guess, but there should be a limit in compromising

Yes oh men are babies, wonder how long is going to take them to grow up

[/size]
Re: What Effect Does Marriage Have On You? by Nobody: 11:41pm On Sep 21, 2008
@ topic
Good thread here cool cool cool

I wish all this small small

girls go come take lessons  cheesy cheesy
Re: What Effect Does Marriage Have On You? by Queenisha1: 11:42pm On Sep 21, 2008
Queenisha: Tell us about married life. What you do to make it work.

a lot of hard work and seflessness realising that I'm in this thing till death do us part.
no plan B
Re: What Effect Does Marriage Have On You? by onyinye2(f): 11:44pm On Sep 21, 2008
Osisi, how did you get to the part where you give more and take less? Cause knowing me, that is something i truly don't grasp.
Re: What Effect Does Marriage Have On You? by Queenisha1: 11:46pm On Sep 21, 2008
@ Professor Queenisha,

I w'anna get married soon.
Can u tell me the advantages of being a married man??        
What do i stand to gain because me thinks marriage is an entrapment for a guy like moi.    

hannibal,you too ROFL
Marriage is not an entrapment at all if you are in love with your wife.
There are many women out there but there are few few that'll be good for you.
I know you specialize in the beauty department but there's more to a good woman than physical beauty.
I'm not saying you should go and marry Missy Elliot .
But if you pick up a pretty girl that wants you to buy her a gucci purse on the first date or orders the most expensive thing on the menu.
That may not be your wife
Re: What Effect Does Marriage Have On You? by tRoOE(f): 11:46pm On Sep 21, 2008
_Queenisha:

lipsrsealed
women compromise more than men I guess because men are very different from women.
They have a different need in a relationship than we do
[size=13pt]hmmmmmmm i see
So would you move back to Naija if husband want you
Haba you didn't answer my other question angry tongue, i go fight you oh
[/size]

davidylan:

see the kinds of threads tRooe loves. tongue
[size=13pt]Don't blame me jare, am just trying to learn from other people experiences.

[/size]
Re: What Effect Does Marriage Have On You? by Nobody: 11:47pm On Sep 21, 2008
Before marriage - the woman is the boss and the man acquiesces.

After marriage - the woman is to submit and the man is to put his feet up on the couch. Chikena. If you dont like it dont marry.
Re: What Effect Does Marriage Have On You? by Queenisha1: 11:48pm On Sep 21, 2008
tRoOE:

[size=13pt]hmmmmmmm i see
[color=Black]So would you move back to Naija if husband want you
Haba you didn't answer my other question angry tongue, i go fight you oh[/color]
[/size]
[size=13pt]Don't blame me jare, am just trying to learn from other people experiences.

[/size]
no family details lipsrsealed
I would want us to discuss that and if he insists,I will have no choice but to move back.
That's not a tough decision but he'll have to promise to get me the basic comforts I need like constant light and water.
Re: What Effect Does Marriage Have On You? by onyinye2(f): 11:49pm On Sep 21, 2008
davidylan:

After marriage - the woman is to submit and the man is to put his feet up on the couch. Chikena. If you don't like it don't marry.
Osisi. . . . i don't think i want to get married. lipsrsealed
Re: What Effect Does Marriage Have On You? by Nobody: 11:50pm On Sep 21, 2008
onyinye2:

Osisi. . . . i don't think i want to get married. lipsrsealed

minus one . . . who's chickening out next? grin
Re: What Effect Does Marriage Have On You? by onyinye2(f): 11:53pm On Sep 21, 2008
davidylan:

minus one . . . who's chickening out next?  grin
Sharrup dia, nonsense boy. angry Who said I was chickening out? tongue
Re: What Effect Does Marriage Have On You? by Hannibal: 11:54pm On Sep 21, 2008
_Queenisha:

hannibal,you too ROFL
Marriage is not an entrapment at all if you are in love with your wife.
There are many women out there but there are few few that'll be good for you.

Few?? Why?
I have over 21 women on ma list.
Picking the right one is becoming a huge conundrum. grin cheesy

I know you specialize in the beauty department but there's more to a good woman than physical beauty.
I'm not saying you should go and marry Missy Elliot .
But if you pick up a pretty girl that wants you to buy her a gucci purse on the first date or orders the most expensive thing on the menu.
That may not be your wife

On the contrary, there are few gold diggers these days.
Women just wanna settle down cos the competition is so fierce out there.
Gucci purse on the first date?? Not likely.
Re: What Effect Does Marriage Have On You? by Queenisha1: 11:55pm On Sep 21, 2008
tRoOE:

[size=13pt]same here, i guess that's y am getting cold feet[/size]

[size=13pt]yea i guess, but there should be a limit in compromising

Yes oh men are babies, wonder how long is going to take them to grow up

[/size]

Omo eko, no one is perfect.
we are just mere humans with our strong and weak attributes.
Not talking about you (don't know the situation) but that's why cohabiting is very bad.
why would a woman move into a house with a man cook ,clean and sleep with him without marriage?
That's why people get their hearts broken all the time because they play wife before they're called one.
Re: What Effect Does Marriage Have On You? by Nobody: 11:56pm On Sep 21, 2008
onyinye2:

Sharrup dia, nonsense boy. angry Who said I was chickening out? tongue

yab me from now till tomorrow . . . women bear the brunt of marital responsibilities especially on the home front.  wink Its not something you can wish away by crying loudly.
Re: What Effect Does Marriage Have On You? by GucciBabe(f): 11:59pm On Sep 21, 2008
hello everyone!

thanks   queenisha for your  lessons. I don't know how im going to do it yet!   it seems like you have to become a total different person,  and i think its going to be hard on me. I am used to having my way most times.  you said you must love your mother in law. what if you try so hard to make her love you but she still finds fault in you, what do you do? what kind of issues should you look over? what if he does something terrible like cheating etc, and some man no dey show face until marriage  how do u deal with a stranger you married then,
Re: What Effect Does Marriage Have On You? by onyinye2(f): 12:01am On Sep 22, 2008
I'm going to be one heck of a wife. lipsrsealed Submission ko, guidelines ni. I will do what I feel is right for me and him. undecided
Re: What Effect Does Marriage Have On You? by chika98: 12:02am On Sep 22, 2008
_Queenisha:

a lot of hard work and seflessness realising that I'm in this thing till death do us part.
no plan B
You what I'm right there with you.
Marriage is WORK. It can only work when people love each other, have and share the same values, have a GREAT deal of respect for one another and willing to be totally SELFLESS. It isn't going to work if you feel like you always have to control everything or you get upset all the time something doesn't happen they way you would like (trust me I know). You have to be humble and understanding. That man has to see his home as his serene abode. . where he can come and feel safe and happy. You have to resolve your issues but don't believe in that not going to bed angry thing because it doesn't work sometimes BUT always find ways to work it out.

Leaving will cross your mind. Yes it will but you have to know that it is till do you part so you can't just walk away. You can't change a man and having a wedding isn't going to change a thing!! So if there's something he does now that pisses you off better believe that it isn't going to change after you say IDO. Marriage is more of mental  commitment  than physical. You just have to get a legal document to prove it.  How many of us will say " oh if he hits me I'm leaving"? Do you really think it is that easy?? You just have to pray that God gives you a husband that will not resort to physical violence that's why respect is very important.

In the end, Only God keeps a marriage!! Only him!!! Men can be difficult to deal with and understanding them can be hard sometimes but once you find that one person for you, then it makes things a lot easier! Don't settle or else you will frustrate yourself and end up an angry married woman.
Re: What Effect Does Marriage Have On You? by Queenisha1: 12:02am On Sep 22, 2008
onyinye2:

Osisi, how did you get to the part where you give more and take less? Cause knowing me, that is something i truly don't grasp.

My sister for an opinionated person like myself, I still see my strong self rising up every once in a while but I hate the aftermath so I have learnt over the years that some things are just not worth it.
I know deep down in me that my husband loves me and is not out to make me miserable.
When we disagree in issue,I let him know my opinion but I don't push it if it differs wih his.
Men love to be respected even when they are talking rubbish
[b]make your point,calmy and with explanations and leave it there[/b]and I can assure you, he'll pick the better option when he lays down to think it through.
That is my secret weapon.
Re: What Effect Does Marriage Have On You? by tRoOE(f): 12:04am On Sep 22, 2008
_Queenisha:

no family details lipsrsealed
I would want us to discuss that and if he insists,I will have no choice but to move back.
That's not a tough decision but he'll have to promise to get me the basic comforts I need like constant light and water.
[size=13pt]Don't mind jare i was just pulling your legs grin
Constant light 4 Naija grin grin u wish

[/size]
Re: What Effect Does Marriage Have On You? by Hannibal: 12:06am On Sep 22, 2008
onyinye2:

I'm going to be one heck of a wife. lipsrsealed Submission ko, guidelines ni. I will do what I feel is right for me and him. undecided

May God help Onyinye's hubby.
He might have to carry a gun with him always.
Re: What Effect Does Marriage Have On You? by onyinye2(f): 12:06am On Sep 22, 2008
_Queenisha:

My sister for an opinionated person like myself, I still see my strong self rising up every once in a while but I hate the aftermath so I have learnt over the years that some things are just not worth it.
I know deep down in me that my husband loves me and is not out to make me miserable.
When we disagree in issue,I let him know my opinion but I don't push it if it differs wih his.
Men love to be respected even when they are talking rubbish
[b]make your point,calmy and with explanations and leave it there[/b]and I can assure you, he'll pick the better option when he lays down to think it through.
That is my secret weapon.
But why does he have to make the decision? undecided That is what baffles me. We say that we are in the 21st century, yet I feel that we live like does of the Medieval Ages. If he makes all the decisions, what is the point of me then? Just to sit back and accept it?
Re: What Effect Does Marriage Have On You? by Queenisha1: 12:08am On Sep 22, 2008
Gucci_Babe:

hello everyone!

thanks   queenisha for your  lessons. I don't know how im going to do it yet!   it seems like you have to become a total different person,  and i think its going to be hard on me. I am used to having my way most times.  you said you must love your mother in law. what if you try so hard to make her love you but she still finds fault in you, what do you do? what kind of issues should you look over? what if he does something terrible like cheating etc, and some man no dey show face until marriage  how do u deal with a stranger you married then,

I have quite a few divorced friends and we talk.
Let me say this for all the young girls.
There is absolutely nothing your husband will do at marriage that he didn't show signs of when you were dating
If he cheats,he probably cheated or showed signs of that and gave you explanations that made no sense but you accepted it, blinded by love.
If he's a selfish and wicked person,he definitely dispalyed those behavious and we overlooked them.

Every girl has to decide what she can orcannot deal with in marriage and have the courage to call it quits at courtship.
I did it!
I broke an engagement after 2 years of courtship and I'll do it again!
Re: What Effect Does Marriage Have On You? by Nobody: 12:08am On Sep 22, 2008
onyinye2:

when Bush talked about someone doing "one heck of a job" we all know what followed.  grin
Onyinye2, sorry but get set to face painful facts . . . when you get married your desires and wishes become subordinate to that of your husband. Even the most domesticated, gentlest of all men. Such is life . . . the best wives know how to deal with such situations.
Re: What Effect Does Marriage Have On You? by GucciBabe(f): 12:09am On Sep 22, 2008
chika98:

You what I'm right there with you.
Marriage is WORK. It can only work when people love each other, have and share the same values, have a GREAT deal of respect for one another and willing to be totally SELFLESS. It isn't going to work if you feel like you always have to control everything or you get upset all the time something doesn't happen they way you would like (trust me I know). You have to be humble and understanding. That man has to see his home as his serene abode. . where he can come and feel safe and happy. You have to resolve your issues but don't believe in that not going to bed angry thing because it doesn't work sometimes BUT always find ways to work it out.

Leaving will cross your mind. Yes it will but you have to know that it is till do you part so you can't just walk away. You can't change a man and having a wedding isn't going to change a thing!! So if there's something he does now that pisses you off better believe that it isn't going to change after you say IDO. Marriage is more of mental  commitment  than physical. You just have to get a legal document to prove it.  How many of us will say " oh if he hits me I'm leaving"? Do you really think it is that easy?? You just have to pray that God gives you a husband that will not resort to physical violence that's why respect is very important.

In the end, Only God keeps a marriage!! Only him!!! Men can be difficult to deal with and understanding them can be hard sometimes but once you find that one person for you,  then it makes things a lot easier! Don't settle or else you will frustrate yourself and end up an angry married woman.

so its not even to leave him even when he abuse you?  my Gawd , all you have to do is pack your bags and serve him divorce papers, I mean so you should stay in marriage even though your husband beat you?
Re: What Effect Does Marriage Have On You? by onyinye2(f): 12:10am On Sep 22, 2008
Hannibal:

May God help Onyinye's hubby.
He might have to carry a gun with him always.
Sharrup Dia. angry
May Gawd be with the woman that you marry. She is going to be one heck of a woman. It aint easy being a puppet to someone. tongue
davidylan:

when Bush talked about someone doing "one heck of a job" we all know what followed.  grin
Onyinye2, sorry but get set to face painful facts . . . when you get married your desires and wishes become subordinate to that of your husband. Even the most domesticated, gentlest of all men. Such is life . . . the best wives know how to deal with such situations.
So what of her husband? Does his wishes and so called desires become subordinate to that of his wife?
Re: What Effect Does Marriage Have On You? by Nobody: 12:12am On Sep 22, 2008
onyinye2:

So what of her husband? Does his wishes and so called desires become subordinate to that of his wife?

Sorry, no. grin
Re: What Effect Does Marriage Have On You? by GucciBabe(f): 12:14am On Sep 22, 2008
_Queenisha:

I have quite a few divorced friends and we talk.
Let me say this for all the young girls.
There is absolutely nothing your husband will do at marriage that he didn't show signs of when you were dating
If he cheats,he probably cheated or showed signs of that and gave you explanations that made no sense but you accepted it, blinded by love.
If he's a selfish and wicked person,he definitely dispalyed those behavious and we overlooked them.

Every girl has to decide what she can orcannot deal with in marriage and have the courage to call it quits at courtship.
I did it!
I broke an engagement after 2 years of courtship and I'll do it again!

Good one! so you have to watch every step as soon as you know that person you want to be with.  what if a guy proposes unexpectedly and you said yes. and you really never watched him like that  i dunno how to put it, but this is a tough one,

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

See What A Girl I Asked Out Junior Sister Decided To Put Me Inside (picture) / 8 Annoying Things Local Girls Do In Order To Become Civilised Girls / Stella Damasus: Domestic Violence, When Is It Enough?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.