Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,196 members, 7,822,043 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 04:00 AM

What Effect Does Marriage Have On You? - Romance (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / What Effect Does Marriage Have On You? (9035 Views)

Does Marriage Destroy Friendship?: Vote / What Does Marriage Means To You? / Does Marriage Make People Happy Or Do Happy People Get Married? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Effect Does Marriage Have On You? by onyinye2(f): 12:15am On Sep 22, 2008
davidylan:

Sorry, no. grin
Excuse me? Come again. . . . . .
Re: What Effect Does Marriage Have On You? by Nobody: 12:15am On Sep 22, 2008
onyinye2:

Excuse me? Come again. . . . . .

Sorry, No.
Re: What Effect Does Marriage Have On You? by chika98: 12:17am On Sep 22, 2008
Gucci_Babe:

so its not even to leave him even when he abuse you?  my Gawd , all you have to do is pack your bags and serve him divorce papers, I mean so you should stay in marriage even though your husband beat you?
That's all you understood from reading that??
Re: What Effect Does Marriage Have On You? by Queenisha1: 12:17am On Sep 22, 2008
onyinye2:

But why does he have to make the decision? undecided That is what baffles me. We say that we are in the 21st century, yet I feel that we live like does of the Medieval Ages. If he makes all the decisions, what is the point of me then? Just to sit back and accept it?

what type of decisions are you talking about?
He doesn't choose my jobs,my clothes,how I spend my money or my friends.
I know there are women who have to hand over their paychecks to their husbands or report to him on every tiny issue ,that's not my situation.
If I wake up on Saturday morning and feel like not making and  having breakfast at home,I simply let him know that I'm driving down to the neighborhood diner with the kids and ask if he wants to come along.
But major things like the name for the kids,their schools,the home we buy, business ventures etc, we discuss it and thankfully most of the time, we have same opinions but when they differ,I  go with his.
His thoughts for our family are good thoughts and I have no problems with it.
Re: What Effect Does Marriage Have On You? by StephenP(m): 12:18am On Sep 22, 2008
onyinye2:

Sharrup Dia. angry
So what of her husband? Does his wishes and so called desires become subordinate to that of his wife?

Goodness, did you really ask that?
_Queenisha:

what type of decisions are you talking about?
He doesn't choose my jobs,my clothes,how I spend my money or my friends.
I know there are women who have to hand over their paychecks to their husbands or report to him on every tiny issue ,that's not my situation.
If I wake up on Saturday morning and feel like not making and  having breakfast at home,I simply let him know that I'm driving down to the neighborhood diner with the kids and ask if he wants to come along.
But major things like the name for the kids,their schools,the home we buy, business ventures etc, we discuss it and thankfully most of the time, we have same opinions but when they differ,I  go with his.

Please lecture Onyinye.
Re: What Effect Does Marriage Have On You? by GucciBabe(f): 12:20am On Sep 22, 2008
chika98:

abuse is a serious issue, its a big part of it
Re: What Effect Does Marriage Have On You? by onyinye2(f): 12:21am On Sep 22, 2008
davidylan:

Sorry, No.
Well well well. . . . . I guess I'm going to have to do some changing with that statement. Because a marriage is GIVE na TAKE. Not the wife does ALL the GIVING and the so called loving husband does all the TAKING.

_Queenisha:

But major things like the name for the kids,their schools,the home we buy, business ventures etc, we discuss it and thankfully most of the time, we have same opinions but[b] when they differ,I  go with his.[/b]
Maka gini? Why would you go with his? Why not your own?
Re: What Effect Does Marriage Have On You? by Nobody: 12:21am On Sep 22, 2008
Gucci_Babe:

abuse is a serious issue, its a big part of it

I would assume you'd be more interested in praying seriously for a mate who loves you and cherishes you so much as to know that physical abuse is as good as hurting himself.
Re: What Effect Does Marriage Have On You? by chika98: 12:21am On Sep 22, 2008
Gucci_Babe:

abuse is a serious issue,  its a big part of it
When did i say abuse is ok? I just said it is hard to walk away!! Big difference!!
Re: What Effect Does Marriage Have On You? by Nobody: 12:22am On Sep 22, 2008
onyinye2:

Well well well. . . . . I guess I'm going to have to do some changing with that statement. Because a marriage is GIVE na TAKE. Not the wife does ALL the GIVING and the so called loving husband does all the TAKING.
Maka gini? Why would you go with his? Why not your own?

you have plenty of growing to do. *shakes head*
Re: What Effect Does Marriage Have On You? by onyinye2(f): 12:22am On Sep 22, 2008
StephenP:

Goodness, did you really ask that?
Please lecture Onyinye.
Yeah. . . . I did. I was hoping for a different answer, but I got the same selfish answer as the rest.

davidylan:

you have plenty of growing to do. *shakes head*
And you my friend, have alot of EVOLVING to do.
Re: What Effect Does Marriage Have On You? by tRoOE(f): 12:22am On Sep 22, 2008
_Queenisha:

Omo eko, no one is perfect.
we are just mere humans with our strong and weak attributes.
Not talking about you (don't know the situation) but that's why cohabiting is very bad.
why would a woman move into a house with a man cook ,clean and sleep with him without marriage?

That's why people get their hearts broken all the time because they play wife before they're called one.

[size=13pt]Only a fool will fall into that trap
But we can't blame those ladies, they have this mentality that if the cook, clean and sleep with them, it might give them a ticket to the aisle
@the last sentence
True talk, lot of women have made that mistake  
[/size]
Re: What Effect Does Marriage Have On You? by Queenisha1: 12:23am On Sep 22, 2008
chika98:

I understood you perfectly and any married woman would.
Marriage is not eating dodo.
There's no married woman who hasn't felt like carrying her bags and checking out.
Perhaps at different times especially in the early years.
I'm sure the men have felt the same way too.
It is natural
We all come in with this ideals in our heads and then quickly realise that[b] those ideals do not exist[/b]
My former pastor says that "Good marriages don't just happen" They have to be consciously built
Re: What Effect Does Marriage Have On You? by Nobody: 12:25am On Sep 22, 2008
onyinye2:

Yeah. . . . I did. I was hoping for a different answer, but I got the same selfish answer as the rest.
And you my friend, have alot of EVOLVING to do.

eyah. Sorry o.  grin
Queenisha, our resident counselor, will soon knock sense into your head. Pay attention . . . people pay good money for the kind of advice she is giving.
Re: What Effect Does Marriage Have On You? by chika98: 12:25am On Sep 22, 2008
Queenisha: Thank you very much. These people don't even understand what i am on about.
Re: What Effect Does Marriage Have On You? by StephenP(m): 12:26am On Sep 22, 2008
onyinye2:

It not selfish but realistic. You can say all you want to say about it but in the end, we all know that many times, the woman does it the man's way, not because she's weaker but because she knows that is the best way for there to be peace.
Re: What Effect Does Marriage Have On You? by GucciBabe(f): 12:26am On Sep 22, 2008
tRoOE:

[size=13pt]Only a fool will fall into that trap
But we can't blame those ladies, they have this mentality that if the cook, clean and sleep with them, it might give them a ticket to the aisle
@the last sentence
True talk, lot of women have made that mistake  
[/size]

i agree with that though.  but then some people said its better to live with your man so you can know if you can tolerate him  undecided undecided undecided
Re: What Effect Does Marriage Have On You? by Nobody: 12:26am On Sep 22, 2008
_Queenisha:

Marriage is not eating dodo.

Onyinye2, you hear so? grin
Re: What Effect Does Marriage Have On You? by GucciBabe(f): 12:28am On Sep 22, 2008
chika98:

Queenisha: Thank you very much. These people don't even understand what i am on about.

yes i do understand you, im just curious when you said when he hits you n all, I just needed to ask a question!
Re: What Effect Does Marriage Have On You? by onyinye2(f): 12:29am On Sep 22, 2008
StephenP:

It not selfish but realistic. You can say all you want to say about it but in the end, we all know that many times, the woman does it the man's way, not because she's weaker but because she knows that is the best way for there to be peace.
na lie. It is selfish. You are just looking from a Man's point-of-view, so of course it won't sound selfish. You are in favor.

davidylan:

eyah. Sorry o.  grin
Queenisha, our resident counselor, will soon knock sense into your head. Pay attention . . . people pay good money for the kind of advice she is giving.
Well you must not knw, I follow the Gospel of Onyinye and she does what is best for her and her husband.
Re: What Effect Does Marriage Have On You? by Queenisha1: 12:30am On Sep 22, 2008
Before my wedding,I had long midnight talks with my mom.
The words she spoke many years ago are still fresh in my memory.
and one of them was about mother in law
@ gucci babe I know you asked a question on that issue.
I know there are some MIL's that are straight up _itches.
If your man is truly in love with you,he'll warn you about his mother from the get go
so that you are prepared for her.
that is where psycholgy and commonsense come together.
You have to "kill her with love"
I mena compliment her
buy her gifts
call her on the phone
send her money at Christmas and mothers' day
Before you know it she'll even be complaining t you about your husband.
It may take years but it can be done.
Every one responds to love
even the toughest of MIL's
Re: What Effect Does Marriage Have On You? by tRoOE(f): 12:31am On Sep 22, 2008
Gucci_Babe:

i agree with that though.  but then some people said its better to live with your man so you can know if you can tolerate him  undecided undecided undecided
[size=13pt]You can do that by visiting him over the wkends [/size]
Re: What Effect Does Marriage Have On You? by Queenisha1: 12:35am On Sep 22, 2008
davidylan:

eyah. Sorry o. grin

david leave Oninye alone.
Wait till she finds her Okonkwo, her type will be kneeling and serving him his foo foo grin
Re: What Effect Does Marriage Have On You? by GucciBabe(f): 12:36am On Sep 22, 2008
queenisha!  

thanks for the advice,  seems like you have to learn to be an actress to enjoy marriage  ,  it doesnt sound easy,   sad sad
Re: What Effect Does Marriage Have On You? by StephenP(m): 12:37am On Sep 22, 2008
onyinye2:

Well you must not knw, I follow the Gospel of Onyinye and she does what is best for her and her husband.

*sigh* Onyinye, I got the prefect boyfriend for you https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-171263.0.html
Re: What Effect Does Marriage Have On You? by chika98: 12:37am On Sep 22, 2008
Gucci_Babe:

yes i do understand you,   im just curious when you said when he hits you  n all,   I just needed to ask a question!
All I'm saying is that it isn't easy just walking away when a spouse resorts to physical violence. At lest not immediately. I'm in no way saying that physical abuse is acceptable.
Re: What Effect Does Marriage Have On You? by onyinye2(f): 12:38am On Sep 22, 2008
Seriously. . . all this marriage talk got me wondering. Cause you are lawfully stick with this one sole person for the REST of your natural born life. And like folk are over her talking about "Compromise" but it seems like the whole "compromise" thing is one sided. Like the wife has to compromise [/i]everything so that as stated [i]"there will be peace." I mean how does one keep their sanity with that. I mean Day in and Day out, you have to compromise so that your husband is happy, and your kids are happy. So what the hell am I? Cause I thought im going to be happy.
Re: What Effect Does Marriage Have On You? by Queenisha1: 12:39am On Sep 22, 2008
Gucci_Babe:

i agree with that though. but then some people said its better to live with your man so you can know if you can tolerate him  undecided undecided undecided

bad idea
let him go and carry wine and pay the dowry and buy the things on that longs list (according to Igbo custom) before I begin to assume the role of a wife.
Re: What Effect Does Marriage Have On You? by chika98: 12:40am On Sep 22, 2008
Compromise isn't a one sided thing. Men do compromise as well
Re: What Effect Does Marriage Have On You? by Queenisha1: 12:41am On Sep 22, 2008
Gucci_Babe:

queenisha!  

thanks for the advice,  seems like you have to learn to be an actress to enjoy marriage  ,  it doesnt sound easy,   sad sad

ROFL.
Genevieve has nothing on me LOL
It's not acting because you know it's for the benefit of everyone.
It's being selfless
and he has to do same too because he knows that when Queenisha is unhappy
Everyone is unhappy.
Re: What Effect Does Marriage Have On You? by Nobody: 12:42am On Sep 22, 2008
onyinye2:

Seriously. . . all this marriage talk got me wondering. Cause you are lawfully stick with this one sole person for the REST of your natural born life. And like folk are over her talking about "Compromise" but it seems like the whole "compromise" thing is one sided. Like the wife has to compromise [/i]everything so that as stated [i]"there will be peace." I mean how does one keep their sanity with that. I mean Day in and Day out, you have to compromise so that your husband is happy, and your kids are happy. So what the hell am I? Cause I thought im going to be happy.

I feel for you . . . next time come as a man.  grin

But seriously, men do compromise a lot too. If you find a man who loves you with all his heart, you can get him to worship the very ground you walk on if you are intelligent enough.
Re: What Effect Does Marriage Have On You? by GucciBabe(f): 12:43am On Sep 22, 2008
onyinye2:

i feel you on that one, but i guess thats the way it is,  this thread is such an eye opener,  ***sigh****

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

I'm Losing My Girlfriend To This. (graphic Images) HELP! / Saw This On Fb Can't Stop Laughing Girls Oya Come And Defend / An Old Woman Rebuked A Girl For Her Indecent Dressing Just This Morning

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.