Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,982 members, 7,814,343 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:23 AM

Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 - Education (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 (68859 Views)

My CGPA Is Low And I Need To Finish With 2.1 / He Doesn't Want To Attend His Convocation Ceremony Because He Had A 2.2 (Pic) / Why You Must Not Finish With A 2.1 To Succeed At A Job Or In Life (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Olutola88(m): 3:46pm On Sep 11, 2014
tobybasten: bros, as you have truly given a nice advice to those that still have time 2 make changes concerning their grades in schl, i think ure over-hyping this your 2.1 of a thing. Obviously it gives one an edge in applying for jobs, but ii think that there are some professional courses that won't just employ uu coz you have a 2.1 n agriculture. If you are such a guru in strategic management, y study agric now? Anyway, i don't have any problem with grades, ii just think you're making too much out of it. It's somehow myopic, it's better 2 think about how one can make a difference. You see so many 2.1 and 1st class running back for masters because the education sectors seems 2be there best bet even in my field ( engineering). Does a 2.1 n soil science( no disregard o, just an example) makes you a genius?
bro, you didn't communicate well. what exactly are you trying to say
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by jezsie: 3:48pm On Sep 11, 2014
Good and great write up but I have 2.1-most companies I go to,ask for OND and not my 2.1 pls help connect n help my hardwork back in school.

2 Likes

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by tobybasten(m): 3:48pm On Sep 11, 2014
RedBenson:

Why did you have to open a new account just to post this? I smell lies!
So people can do such things just 2 feel important? If that is truly the case, dia is no better way 2 define hopelessness. WTF

1 Like

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by bizhub: 3:49pm On Sep 11, 2014
2.1 and 1st class always end up...working for school drop outs and 3rd class holders...because their mindset is always graduate with good grade and get a good job..
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Nobody: 3:50pm On Sep 11, 2014
IIFY1: Hardwork including out of class talents and skills and God's favours are what one need to excel.Always aim at the best it always pays. I aimed at making first class, but made a very strong 2:1(4.45), I believed that God alone can position me .I did not know a single person in NNPC, but I was employed by them after two years of service, many of my colleagues are like that.Integrity and merit still exist.Make the best you can, God will do the rest.Am now 2 years working with the co- operation. God will see you through.
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Nobody: 3:50pm On Sep 11, 2014
Hmmmm. Am ar hnd2 student with a lower credit. Iz not easy o especially for lazy people like me..... Meanwhile, I cannot come and kill myself here... I did my best but not everyone is born to be good academically. Maybe"........ To the OP... You wrote the truth bruh.
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by tobybasten(m): 3:56pm On Sep 11, 2014
Olutola88: bro, you didn't communicate well. what exactly are you trying to say
You are over-hyping the whole grade issue. I graduated from FUTA and while i was in schl, ii do marvel at the number of 2.1 and first class that do come back for masters so as to get into the educational system. Its very good 2 work hard, doesn't mean that a 2.2 graduate s lazy or not intelligent. I believe your potentials will make uu go places. And for your information, do uu know banks really love people with ND? Coz they pay meagre allowances and they believe they are contended with what they have. Seems sucess is defined by your blazers and tie around here though
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Ukutsgp(m): 3:57pm On Sep 11, 2014
your age also matters in securing a job in Nigeria
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Chrixtopha(m): 3:58pm On Sep 11, 2014
well said 2.1 is a criteria for success after graduation but how is your lecturers treating u, go to a federal University or state higher institution and see whether making 2.1 or first class is easy...am a living witness, fighting very hard to fit in but after each semester u find out that it's obvious that after giving those that paid for Az , A.....others should go to hell with Bs and Cs....... I know what am passing through so don't say what u do not know after graduating from a private University where high school fees buys d certificate... only God knows the best..

2 Likes

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Nobody: 3:59pm On Sep 11, 2014
Good day house,i was forced to comment after reading so many contribution here,getting a job is a state of the mind,2.1 is fantastic but if you could not make it then there is no point killing yourself,Robert kiyo...once said that if you want to be rich dont go to school.How do you define success?success is a state of the mind,a councilor will tell you he is successful,a governor will tell you he is also successful in same politics,so life success as nothing to do with grade,in my field of study there is nothing like 2.1 or 2.2 or 3rd,i had a family friends in which their son after ssce decided to learn a particular skill in the oil and gas but today these guy is in Total as a technician earning good pay more than 2.1 holder in some coy some folks mention here earlier,pls op work hard and make the 2.1 because hard works pay,i made 2.1 because when i was the school i had the mindset that i only have God to help me and i dont have any connection but today it has open so many doors for me.
if you dont have 2.1,no need kill your self,improve in yourself get relevant skills,do msc to broaden your prospect,entrepreneurship is also key if you have the means of doing it,i dont intend to work for any coy longer than 10years,i will also establish my own coy....they are so many ways to make it in life....GOD,FRIENDS,CONNECTION,RECOMMENDATION,SKILLS,BRAINS etc.

last bullet:Bible says it is not of he that willlet or runneth but it is the lord that showeth mercy....
pls pardon my english typing fast from a phone.

imag5
IRISE

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Yossykit: 4:01pm On Sep 11, 2014
femi4: Your 2.1 is a waste if you are above 27
lies...my broda got a custom job at 32 without knowing anybody. I strongly believe in God's mercy, i repeat; only believe in God's mercy.
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by shesluvin(f): 4:01pm On Sep 11, 2014
Thank u 4 dis msg! Some pple on naira land make it feel as if getting a 2.1 is a disadvantage. I like what u said abt hardwk. That's the best cos some of us don't have that "talent" so we work to improve. God help us all. And 4 those in school, work hard and get a2.1 it will go a long way!

1 Like

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by TobiAruna(m): 4:03pm On Sep 11, 2014
Tnks bro wat sch did u finish from
Olutola88: why not. I'm sure you are aware of the fact that many good companies out there are just looking for smart and trainable individuals that can work excellent well in teams and deliver stupendous results for the company. let me relieve you by telling you that I'm also a graduate of Agriculture. what if I tell you that I assist people in business and social sciences with their projects, I write business proposals for people, I write advert proposals for people, I write, I communicate excellently well, I manage people very well, I Lead, plan and organize impressively and I could be very innovative and creative.

once you are useful, then the sky will be your beginning. companies are not looking for liabilities, all they want is asset and they are ready to pay you hundreds of thousands for the services you will render.

so far, I haven't applied to any Agric firm. I've been applying to consultancy firms, Banks, Fast Moving Consumer Goods etc and I've been doing excellently well at the recruitment stages.

once one has a 2,1, build an impressive CV, apply for as many jobs as possible cos your 2.1 will give you that privilege, learn how to pass aptitude tests, read about interview ethics, how to ace at Assessment centres and go in there to tell ur interviewer or employer what that he will never regret hiring. speak with confidence, look straight into the eyes of your interviewers, let them no you have a whole lot to ofeer but while you are doing all these, make sure you don't sound arrogant.

before and after you do all these, kneel down and tell baba God twale, tell HIM that you are a numbskull in HIS site, surrender yourself completely to him and KINGS will bow before you.

pardon me for any typo cos I have a lot of people to attend to.
thanks
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Chigorkizz(m): 4:09pm On Sep 11, 2014
nice post.
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Herrmes: 4:15pm On Sep 11, 2014
Why should anyone have 2.1? Why'd you attend the university? it's bad, 4.0 is the lowest point for me

1 Like

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by bayulll01(m): 4:16pm On Sep 11, 2014
safarigirl: If you're a law student, most likely, your University degree won't mean shiiit after law school. To enter law school, you not only have to fall between 2:1 and first class, you must be well known in the law faculty for a positive thing.

Else...pesin with Pass go just pass you
the op forgot not everybody will graduate with a first class 2.1 or 2.2,that is why there is a class of degree anything u do just make sure you do it well
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Olutola88(m): 4:16pm On Sep 11, 2014
tobybasten: You are over-hyping the whole grade issue. I graduated from FUTA and while i was in schl, ii do marvel at the number of 2.1 and first class that do come back for masters so as to get into the educational system. Its very good 2 work hard, doesn't mean that a 2.2 graduate s lazy or not intelligent. I believe your potentials will make uu go places. And for your information, do uu know banks really love people with ND? Coz they pay meagre allowances and they believe they are contended with what they have. Seems sucess is defined by your blazers and tie around here though
don't get it twisted bro. Banks will never hire ND holders as graduate trainees. the best ND holders can do is to be teller staff. and that position is an insult to the personality of graduates . so, leave the teller position for ND holders
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Yossykit: 4:18pm On Sep 11, 2014
@op, i want u 2 knw dat it is not everybody dat can finish wit 2.1 no mata d hardwork. As far as i'm concern, i strongly believ in God's mercy. My broda is a living testimony. He got employment at nigeria custom service as a Deputy supritendent with God's connection even at d age of 32. A friend of mine finished wit 2.2 in d dept of microbiology, eksu. She finished her nysc in feb and was favoured in march. It is advisable to wrk hrd while in sch. But one thing i knw is dat, either u end up wit 1.1, 2.1 or 2.2, God's mercy supercedes all.

2 Likes

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by oceanlook(f): 4:19pm On Sep 11, 2014
Acidosis:

I can only blame the government. Besides, not everyone is interested in the corporate private jobs. Some people are good with promising government jobs (considering the incentives, retirement package, flexibility, etc). We can only blame the government as most private organisations have made it look like people without 1st class and strong 2-1 degrees are worthless. They employ the "best", in some cases, use and dum.p; and even in most cases, salary packages in these corporate entities may not (even) be in par with those in government parastasals.

Although I'm not a 'job' person, but if given the chance, I'd happily pick a promising government job anyday over a private package.

If only the government can pave way for more jobs; I mean sensible jobs (not failed programmes). Graduates do not deserve these segregation/undue competitions/ and sheer stu.pidities.

If appropriate steps is not geared; these private organisations would ridicule our first class graduates faster than I envisage. Some of them would start asking for 4-8 - 5.0 grades.

If I'm asked, I'd say the fact that one is a graduate is enough reason to get a good job.
I dont agree with you on the " one is a graduate is enough reason to get a good job" I dont believe in suffering before making it but I think a little discipline and hard work is in order, I can tell you now that about 50% of my course mates dont even attend class and we are studying engineering, they dont even put in effort to learn.i asked someone some days ago why he doesn't attend classes and he said his brother's friend is a big man in an oil company so even if he graduates with a 3rd class he's sure of getting a job,how can people be so naive when they know how tough the labour market can be.if tomorrow this guy graduates and he's unable to get a job he blame's it on the Government.there's no company in nigeria who doesn't want the best,a mere 2:1 cant give you a job but it can give you the form so why shouldn't you try your best if you can.i have seen 2:2 graduates sitting on millions because they read but it was just unfortunate they couldn't get the 2:1, so if its 2:1 or 2:2 you should be able to defend it and with God it will be ok, there are still some transparent companies in nigeria.
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by AfricaFace(f): 4:20pm On Sep 11, 2014
Well done OP, you are such an amazing individual. a graduate with this knowledge and information is hard to find. i wish i was this knowledgeable years back. welldone, i see you at the top. wish i have a vacant position to offer. who knows ...lets keep our finger crossed.

One more thing, research for all international certifications in your field of study, some people don't believe in it, but i am a living witness, it brought me to where i am , In Nigeria , certification is needed to bring you to the Stage. No matter how competent you are, Nigerian/some multinational employer needs you to validate your competency via certifications......

Above all,, GOD !!!!!!!

1 Like

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Joy83(m): 4:22pm On Sep 11, 2014
RedBenson:

The question should be best answered by you. Abi are you not the one who initiated the supposed lies of graduating with 2:1?
Sorry for you!
Do you think only the spirit can make 2'1 and not human. You are just talking anyhow because Nairaland gives room for that.
You don't know me and you are claiming the 2'1 I am talking about is false.
Upgrade your status please!
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by tobybasten(m): 4:22pm On Sep 11, 2014
Olutola88: don't get it twisted bro. Banks will never hire ND holders as graduate trainees. the best ND holders can do is to be teller staff. and that position is an insult to the personality of graduates . so, leave the teller position for ND holders
sure, ii agree with you. At the same time, someone with a 2.2 or 3rd class might condemn himself/herself into a pathetic state if not a strong-willed person who know his/her potential is key 2 sucess. I totally agree with ur post but I say NO to "mental slavery". To everyone, develop urself in every possible way you can. We re damn good if we can really seee deep into ourselves
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Capableben(m): 4:22pm On Sep 11, 2014
Olutola88: kindly send me a personal message
pls which course did u study and which school did you finish from
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by mack111(m): 4:24pm On Sep 11, 2014
Olutola88: well said bro. As to my CV, it's a very simple one without grammatical and spelling errors,with my full name boldly written ontop, a permanent home address, with an email address that carries my first and last name, with two telephone numbers, a short and catchy personal statement, about two work experience and my achievements in those positions(I change this to suit the job I'm applying for), a column for education with dates, I have a column for my skills and competencies, another column for my core strengths, a column for awards(just one though and it's a merit scholarship award I benefited for three years), a column for hobbies(this is on my CV to suggest to my potential employer that I'm someone that'll have a work-life balance, and references are available on request.

kindly send me a pm if you want us to relate better
thanks bro. Its same with d sample i ve.

1 Like

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Jason2014(m): 4:26pm On Sep 11, 2014
It's a wonderful opportunity and an idea to graduate with a first class or a 2:1 but even at that there is an immense need to acquire 21st century skills that will give you the unfair advantage over job seekers.

Take for example - you studied accounting (graduated first class or 2:1) from a higher institution of learning and then pick up a good job as an accounts officer in an organisation and thereafter you worked for a couple of years making good money but doing the same routine in your office with little regard to developing your skills and acquiring cutting edge IT integrated business solutions skills such as understanding accounting packages (Peachtree, Quickbooks etc) that will move you to the next level of your career and also not minding your ICAN exams...

...and then your counterpart who graduated with a third class or 2:2, decided to go the way of a small audit firm (Na me Na you & Co.) receiving meagre amount as salary but gradually picking up his professional exams (ICAN or ACCA) along the way & at the same time acquiring the required skills needed for future growth burning the candle oil and making the necessary sacrifice and then spending the same number of years with the brother above.

In the event there is a shake up in the organisations, it is imminent that the employee in the first organisation is bound to suffer the most because there is no added skill & personal value addition to himself despite he's a first class material.

My Take
In as much as it amazing to graduate with a 2:1 or 1st class, continuous learning guarantees wealth creation, sustainability & growth regardless of your grade. The truth is, after some years of working a paid employment, you'll want to startup your business and only continuous learning assures you of that.

1 Like

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Capableben(m): 4:27pm On Sep 11, 2014
oceanlook: I dont agree with you on the " one is a graduate is enough reason to get a good job" I dont believe in suffering before making it but I think a little discipline and hard work is in order, I can tell you now that about 50% of my course mates dont even attend class and we are studying engineering, they dont even put in effort to learn.i asked someone some days ago why he doesn't attend classes and he said he's brother's friend is a big man in an oil company so even if he graduates with a 3rd class he's sure of getting a job,how can people be so naive when they know how tough the labour market can be.if tomorrow this guy graduates and he's unable to get a job he blame's it on the Government.there's no company in nigeria who doesn't want the best,a mere 2:1 cant give you a job but it can give you the form so why shouldn't you try your best if you can.i have seen 2:2 graduates sitting on millions because they read but it was just unfortunate they couldn't get the 2:1, so if its 2:1 or 2:2 you should be able to defend it and with God it will be ok, there are still some transparent companies in nigeria.

is Engineering (chemical) lucrative in this country Answer robustly

1 Like

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Olutola88(m): 4:28pm On Sep 11, 2014
Capableben:
pls which course did u study and which school did you finish from
lol. what triggered that question bro

1 Like

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Nobody: 4:32pm On Sep 11, 2014
Thanks@Celeron40@olutola88@pchase for ur responses to my earlier question,I appreciate. @pchase,concerning ur questions,1.the grading scheme of my school is 3.26/5.0. 2-i have 40more course and they are all 2units courses. I don't have any carryover. I don't have problem with any lecturer in my dept.
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Nobody: 4:36pm On Sep 11, 2014
justi4jesu:

lol cheesy
Na lie I talk?
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by tonychristopher: 4:36pm On Sep 11, 2014
Olutola88: This piece is for those undergraduates that will like to seek for jobs after school but do not have solid connection. A 1st class or 2.1 will help you AVOID or ALLEVIATE the labour market frustration. Nevertheless, the ones that have influential parents, uncles and aunts can also take a cue from it because it is easier to help someone with a good result.

I am a recent graduate from a Nigerian Federal University. I finished with a strong 2.1 but I wish I made a 1st class. I would have made that First class if I were very hard working. I know many people are like me, they would have had better grades if they were more serious. What I'm saying in essence is that most of us are powerful beyond measures but we do not realize how powerful we could be.

Finishing with a 2.1 is just about having 3.5 out of total 5.0 CGPA. One can achieve this by mixing Bs with Cs in your courses. I had many friends that didn't have solid academic background, weren't very quick at learning but struggled to finish with 3.5, 3.6 after a lot of hard work. Not to talk of many of you that are sharp, it's just that you are too lazy. I was also a lazy brat but that's bygone because I've learnt my lessons.

As a result of the very high rate of unemployment in Nigeria, employers use all possible strategies to pre screen as many as possible applicants and the most popular is the class of degree.

9 out of every 10 Graduate Trainee adverts ask for a minimum of 2.1. The other thing they use in pre screening is age and many also require to have a minimum of 5 credits including maths and english @ one sitting for O'level.

Now let's analyze it: By the time KPMG, Ernst & Young, PWC, Akintola Deloitte, Shell, Chevron, Exxon Mobil, Total, Schlumberger, Diamond Bank, GTB, Zenith, First Bank, Nigerian Stock Exchange, P&G, Unilever, Honey well, Nestle, Cadbury, Guiness, Nigerian Breweries, Consolidated Breweries, PZ Cussons, etc all advertise graduate trainee positions and they all ask for a minimum of 2.1. How do you think someone that finished with a 2.2 will feel?

I'm currently observing NYSC and I've been applying for jobs. Many of my fellow corps members always ask me to share latest job openings with them but many of them have not been able to apply for any because they finished with below 2.1. I hope we all have an idea how frustrating this could be, for you not to have the privilege to prove yourself even when you might be better and more employable than some of us that finished with 2.1 and 1st class.

As I'm writing this piece, I have two friends that just got job offers from a reputable multinational company in Nigeria. Guess what? They are both still serving and will resume immediately after NYSC in October. You know what? One of them finished with a 1st class and the other with a strong 2.1.

I know some of you will ask about me, I'm also at the last stage of interview and I have reached some recruitment stages in other good companies. All I need is Almighty God's favour and your prayers can also help land a job offer in some days time *lol*.

Many of us have been misled. We've been made to believe that even if you finish with good grades, you still won't get a good job in Nigeria if you don't have connection. For those that will listen, I can confidently tell you that we still have Firms that act with INTEGRITY in Nigeria, Organizations that will hire you based on your abilities, Companies that will not compromise standards, Employers that will give you an offer without knowing even a gate man. Many Multinationals in Nigeria fall in that category. At least, I know of Klynveld Peat Marwick Goerdeler (KPMG) and Procter & Gamble(P&G). We have many others but those are the two I've had comprehensive experience with.

Finishing with a 2.1 is very easy only if one can put in the required effort and above all pray to God. For the atheists, just keep working hard, working smart and always have a destination. I know you will believe in God someday*lmao*

In Conclusion, one of the commonest things in life is seeing talented people that are unsuccessful. Many of us are gifted but we are just too lazy to make the best use of our potential. If Talent sleeps, Hard work will outshine Talent.

this is just small boys talk.... i laugh, do you want to work for people or do you want people to work for you.

this is the mentality of nigeria

this is the same reason a professor of economics cant manage a small kiosk but aboki can manage that

this is the reason why we have lectuers in mech engineering but take their cars to road side mechanics...

I DO NOT EMPLOY BASED ON GRADES BUT COMPETENCE AND CAPACITY

it better to work with a 3rd class that has competence than 2;1 THAT LACKS COMPETENCE

2 Likes

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Acidosis(m): 4:38pm On Sep 11, 2014
oceanlook: I dont agree with you on the " one is a graduate is enough reason to get a good job" I dont believe in suffering before making it but I think a little discipline and hard work is in order, I can tell you now that about 50% of my course mates dont even attend class and we are studying engineering, they dont even put in effort to learn.i asked someone some days ago why he doesn't attend classes and he said he's brother's friend is a big man in an oil company so even if he graduates with a 3rd class he's sure of getting a job,how can people be so naive when they know how tough the labour market can be.if tomorrow this guy graduates and he's unable to get a job he blame's it on the Government.there's no company in nigeria who doesn't want the best,a mere 2:1 cant give you a job but it can give you the form so why shouldn't you try your best if you can.i have seen 2:2 graduates sitting on millions because they read but it was just unfortunate they couldn't get the 2:1, so if its 2:1 or 2:2 you should be able to defend it and with God it will be ok, there are still some transparent companies in nigeria.

Hardwork is good; but why do we keep deriving formulas daily

Today it's about 2-1, tomorrow someone would come up with CV formular, or professional qualifications, or age issues or experience. But have we really asked ourselves the reason we keep struggling in an unhealthy manner?

I understand your points; we only have different ideology. Personally, I don't believe I have to compete with 10,000 to make it. Competition is good, but the type practiced in Nigeria is unhealthy.
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by careema(f): 4:43pm On Sep 11, 2014
OpYzo: hey dear I also finished with a strong 2:1 know I could have done better if I strived harder but dats bygone. I am also finishing NYSC in october and have not gotten any thing, been using jobberman since nothing...can u link me.Thanks

Subscribe to ngcareers.com. I got my job through it. But jobberman too is cool.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (17) (Reply)

Male Teachers Vs Female Teachers: Are Women Better Teachers Than Men? / Apply For Total E&P Undergraduate Scholarship 2015 For Nigerian Students / Felt Bad My Students Said I Am Into Yahoo, Teaching Can't Afford My Lifestyle

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.