Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,940 members, 7,814,180 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 08:35 AM

Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 (68856 Views)

My CGPA Is Low And I Need To Finish With 2.1 / He Doesn't Want To Attend His Convocation Ceremony Because He Had A 2.2 (Pic) / Why You Must Not Finish With A 2.1 To Succeed At A Job Or In Life (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Freelancer00(m): 12:54pm On Sep 11, 2014
Sir. Ur logic is flawed. Ur grade doesn't determine ur level of success in life.
Case study: My boss.
He attended a polytechnic in the southwest. He graduated his ND in the 3rd year after numerous carry overs. He was 'given' certificate of attendance. After school, he started working in a company where he later became the head of his department cos of his high technical ability. After 2 years, he branches out on his own, registered his firm, started using his technical expertise to get small contracts of 'man must survive' grade. Fast forward years later, he's sitting in his office inside his AC given orders to first class and second class upper graduates.
Moral of my story is YOUR GRADE DOESNT DETERMINE YOUR LEVEL OF SUCCESS IN LIFE.

4 Likes

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Nobody: 12:56pm On Sep 11, 2014
Nice write-up OP. I can't help but shake my head cos of the reasoning capacity of some people. When people are complaining that some 1st and 2nd class didn't get job yet, is that reason enough to refute the OP's point. If you found it difficult to get employment with good grade, a reasonable person should conclude that a poor grade will make it more difficult. So why comment as if you're advising people to drop effort in pursuing good grades.

4 Likes

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by safarigirl(f): 12:58pm On Sep 11, 2014
If you're a law student, most likely, your University degree won't mean shiiit after law school. To enter law school, you not only have to fall between 2:1 and first class, you must be well known in the law faculty for a positive thing.

Else...pesin with Pass go just pass you

1 Like

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Freelancer00(m): 12:59pm On Sep 11, 2014
ikp4succes: Must you find a job why can't you start a business..
not everyone can become and enterprenuer
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by alcuin(m): 1:00pm On Sep 11, 2014
It seems a lot of people in this generation will be disappointed.

Be there....and wait for other companies to employ u cos of a mere peice of paper that can be lost, get burnt or something like that when u can use ur mind and talent to create companies for others.

Use ur brains....
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by kaka22(m): 1:00pm On Sep 11, 2014
Temmy50: Nice write up bro!! All u said is true @ least 2 ur own knowledge..but m nt in total support or lemme say I dnt agree totaly wif what u said...Fine,it's a very gud thing 2 finish wif a gud result in skul and it gives u a gud edge ova odas but in actual fact,it doesn't...

I believe what u study or d degree u get in skul doesn't determine what u'l become..I was surprised while readin oda people's comment and sum1 said it's only d unfortunate or failures dat get below 2:1...Now if dey r d unfortunates,den pls if u can,tru 2 make a research of successful people we hear about 2day globally and not about sum1 wu can just boast of a few millions..I mean d likes of wole soyinka,dangote,bill gates and co and u'l knw it's not about ur degree in skul but d ideas u can offer..sum1 said sumfin and I totally agree,he said,"it's not about ur certificate but it's about ur SABIficate"...

So if u fall in2 d category of less dan 2:1..do not relent..do not loose hope..press 4ward and believe God is always dere 4 u and work hard!!!!!
Soyinka actually graduated with 2.1 not third class, Dangote graduated from a university in Egypt...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Freelancer00(m): 1:02pm On Sep 11, 2014
celeron40: I finished from the University of Ibadan 3 yrs ago with an Econs degree...I had a 4.7 CGPA...(From a possible 7) which is a 2.1 in U.I...But that did not guarantee anything...I had to go back for my M.Sc...still, I couldn't get a job I wanted...It was that hard...Now Oluwa has buttered my bread and I have something doing now...MORAL OF THE STORY: Anything below a 1st class, you will TREK!...even a 2.1 is not enough...I was smarter than most of my peers who finished with a 1st class, but I was too busy searching U.I grounds for free Wi-Fi than settling down to read...To all undergraduates still in the University, Work hard like mules..its the hardest you will ever work in your life...after that, you can play till you are 85...a 2.1 is the minimum.
Someone with a third clas
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Freelancer00(m): 1:04pm On Sep 11, 2014
celeron40: I finished from the University of Ibadan 3 yrs ago with an Econs degree...I had a 4.7 CGPA...(From a possible 7) which is a 2.1 in U.I...But that did not guarantee anything...I had to go back for my M.Sc...still, I couldn't get a job I wanted...It was that hard...Now Oluwa has buttered my bread and I have something doing now...MORAL OF THE STORY: Anything below a 1st class, you will TREK!...even a 2.1 is not enough...I was smarter than most of my peers who finished with a 1st class, but I was too busy searching U.I grounds for free Wi-Fi than settling down to read...To all undergraduates still in the University, Work hard like mules..its the hardest you will ever work in your life...after that, you can play till you are 85...a 2.1 is the minimum.
Someone with a 3rd class is heading his fathers company and he's doing quite well. 2. 1 or first class doesn't guarantee u poo
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Samcathe: 1:04pm On Sep 11, 2014
Nice write up @op.

My only question here is that what about ladies who doesnt really have the ability to finish with the grade. Should they now do whatever it takes to get the grade?
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Aylawani: 1:04pm On Sep 11, 2014
Good write up.
I had 2.1 in Statistics-2002 and experienced same. Started working 2005 and now an Associate Account Director.
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Poisonspirit: 1:04pm On Sep 11, 2014
Vanity upon Vanity....

Wel...money counts and not Paper..ALL NA STIL VANITY

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by palacious: 1:05pm On Sep 11, 2014
O ma se oooooooo
See the way my people are thinking.
Is our educational system a true representation of what education is in South-Africa let alone mentioning US, UK, Canada, Singapore and other fast moving (economical) countries.
A first class graduate of Agricultural economics that knows nothing about Commodity exchange in the global market, A graduate of Mechanical engineering with a "Strong 2.1" that finds it difficult to explain the principle of aerodynamics as it affects a moving object (e.g a car).
The system has been able to turn us all to recording machines dat will always give out what has been given to it without value addition.
Hmn................I weep for the future of this nation.

1 Like

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Nobody: 1:06pm On Sep 11, 2014
From the look of it,OP is a recent graduate or a recent graduate jambito,you never see anything.2-1 ko,first class ni.

Wait.until ur nysc end,u go hear wen

1 Like

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Olutola88(m): 1:06pm On Sep 11, 2014
Freelancer00: Sir. Ur logic is flawed. Ur grade doesn't determine ur level of success in life.
He attended a polytechnic in the southwest. He graduated his ND in the 3rd year after numerous carry overs. He was 'given' certificate of attendance. After school, he started working in a company where he later became the head of his department cos of his high technical ability. After 2 years, he branches out on his own, registered his firm, started using his technical expertise to get small contracts of 'man must survive' grade. Fast forward years later, he's sitting in his office inside his AC given orders to first class and second class upper graduates.
why are you misquoting me. secondly, you are comparing the time your boss finished with 2O14.

1 Like

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Hemanwel(m): 1:07pm On Sep 11, 2014
OP,what informed your opening this kind of thread is because you made a 2.1 and like you said,you are on the verge of landing a juicy job offer as soon as you're through with your service,right?
Well,it's good to graduate with a 2.1 oh but,do you think it's by your power?Do you think it's by your intelligence or brilliance that you're about to be gainfully employed even when you've not finished service?
Do you think there's any undergraduate who wishes to graduate with a 2.2 or 'thirdy'
Learn to give glory to God because there are alot of people who made the 2.1 but are still roaming the unemployment market for many years now.Some made 2.2 and have fantastic jobs.
You haven't smelled the labour market(and I pray you wont),that's why you could come up with this.
In Nigeria,it's not by first-class or 2.1 oh!

1 Like

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Carmal90(m): 1:07pm On Sep 11, 2014
PlS I need ur mobile no on whatsapp
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by KunAviero(m): 1:07pm On Sep 11, 2014
Freelancer00: Sir. Ur logic is flawed. Ur grade doesn't determine ur level of success in life.
I don't think you get his message. He didn't say it DETERMINES, rather it helps and I know he's right cos my lecturers and all other successful people I know keep saying the same thing. Graduate with a good grade cos that's the number one step and by graduating with a good grade, I mean getting by yourself not some nonsense apiam way.

1 Like

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Acidosis(m): 1:08pm On Sep 11, 2014
Project400:
#Informative

I can only blame the government. Besides, not everyone is interested in the corporate private jobs. Some people are good with promising government jobs (considering the incentives, retirement package, flexibility, etc). We can only blame the government as most private organisations have made it look like people without 1st class and strong 2-1 degrees are worthless. They employ the "best", in some cases, use and dum.p; and even in most cases, salary packages in these corporate entities may not (even) be in par with those in government parastasals.

Although I'm not a 'job' person, but if given the chance, I'd happily pick a promising government job anyday over a private package.

If only the government can pave way for more jobs; I mean sensible jobs (not failed programmes). Graduates do not deserve these segregation/undue competitions/ and sheer stu.pidities.

If appropriate steps is not geared; these private organisations would ridicule our first class graduates faster than I envisage. Some of them would start asking for 4-8 - 5.0 grades.

If I'm asked, I'd say the fact that one is a graduate is enough reason to get a good job.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Olutola88(m): 1:09pm On Sep 11, 2014
asokoromadam: From the look of it,OP is a recent graduate or a recent graduate jambito,you never see anything.2-1 ko,first class ni.

Wait.until ur nysc end,u go hear wen
which wen do I want to hear when Almighty God is for me. instead of you to advise the younger ones to make the best out of every opportunity, you are hear saying something else.

1 Like

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by luvola(m): 1:10pm On Sep 11, 2014
pro01: Well, as I always advise any undergraduate that cares to listen, it doesn't hurt to give academics your best shot. I mean, that's the main reason you're in school: to study, learn, and make a good grade. It is illogical to argue otherwise. If you have what it takes ro graduate with a 1st Class or 2.1, then by all means work hard to get it. The post-graduation advantages are worthwhile. Like the OP mentioned, you have the advantage of scaling most pre-qualification hurdles for the top companies. . . .and you get the opportunity to participate in more recruitment processes, thereby improving your chances of gaining employment ahead of your fellow graduates that finished with 2.2 or less. . . .all things being equal.

Which brings me to the crux of the matter. Unfortunately, in Nigeria, all things are hardly ever equal. I wouldn't go into the pros and cons of graduating with a 2.1 or not, but it suffices for me to say that it is more important to be smart than to put all your hopes and dreams on a certificate that is increasingly worth less than the paper it is printed on these days.

Apart from the problem of nepotism, which is on a scale that is immeasurable, there is the simple problem of sheer demand and supply. Let's face it: there are simply not enough jobs to go round for the millions of new graduates churned out yearly. However, except for a few exceptional cases where organisations require competent hands to run critical operations, I have found that waving your 1st Class or 2.1 degree hardly puts you in a better position than the others in the labour market. In an ideal world, having a good grade should be a competitive advantage in a saturated labour market. In Nigeria, unfortunately, this is often not the case because of our socio-cultural and attitudinal peculiarities.

A person can get ahead by being smart - crafty and scheming if you like. While you're burning the midnight oil studying GMAT to prepare for a Procter & Gamble aptitude test (for which only candidates with a minimum of 2.1 were invited), someone else with a 3rd Class has discovered that one of the company's biggest distributors worships at a particular church, and has devised a plan to trail him (or his wife) and regale him with tales of woe about how he is an orphan and has been jobless for years. You'll be surprised to find this 3rd Class degree holder pushed into P&G through the back door if he or she makes a strong enough impression on their influential target, while you end up not getting the job in spite of your 2.1. I personally know a few people who have secured fantastic jobs (and contracts) through such ingenious methods - by playing on influential people's sentiments, even without prior relationships with such persons. This is just one example of what I mean by smartness. From my experience, it is often more effective than one's 1st Class or 2.1 in many cases. This is unfortunate, but it is the reality on ground in this jungle called Nigeria.
thank you for this piece.
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by poxibility: 1:12pm On Sep 11, 2014
The OP is on point, for undergraduates still in universities and polytechnics, this piece of advice is worth more than gold or diamond, PLEASE heed it as much as you can.

1 Like

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by pchax: 1:17pm On Sep 11, 2014
Acidosis:

I can only blame the government. Besides, not everyone is interested in the corporate private jobs. Some people are good with promising government jobs ...(

God bless you and your generation! And I feel like fish out of water. It is not everyone that likes the KPMGs, Deloittes etc. Seriously, our craze for the corporate jobs is really unhealthy and it got to me too unfortunately. Honestly, I can't see my self spending 3 years here. Vehemently looking for government job.

1 Like

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Yemisi63: 1:17pm On Sep 11, 2014
Lmfaooooo. Guys, If you're having a bad day, read this hilarious girl blog http://www.naijasinglegirl.com and thank me later
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by eluquenson(m): 1:17pm On Sep 11, 2014
2.1 ko 3.1 ni
Having good grade is very good but coupled with commensurate potential & intelligence with God sky will not be the limit.
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Nobody: 1:18pm On Sep 11, 2014
Having good grades in school is gud, bt its not the only thing that secures a gud job. Its grace. There are some people who don't go about looking for jobs yet they av jobs evn in their present jobs they receive calls bout new openings with better packages. Lyk one dude dat turnd down abt 3jobs in an oil company just cos he doesn't want to stay too far from his family. Still its grace
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Olutola88(m): 1:20pm On Sep 11, 2014
Hemanwel: OP,what informed your opening this kind of thread is because you made a 2.1 and like you said,you are on the verge of landing a juicy job offer as soon as you're through with your service,right?
Well,it's good to graduate with a 2.1 oh but,do you think it's by your power?Do you think it's by your intelligence or brilliance that you're about to be gainfully employed even when you've not finished service?
Do you think there's any undergraduate who wishes to graduate with a 2.2 or 'thirdy'
Learn to give glory to God because there are alot of people who made the 2.1 but are still roaming the unemployment market for many years now.Some made 2.2 and have fantastic jobs.
You haven't smelled the labour market(and I pray you wont),that's why you could come up with this.
In Nigeria,it's by first-class or 2.1 oh!
bro, if you read my post well you will know that I'm forever loyal to my Creator, The Beneficient, The Merciful, The Mighty, The Just, The Wise, The All-knowing, The Majesty, The King, The comforter, The compassionate, The maker, The designer, The sustainer, The bestower, The kind, The reliever, The pardoner, The reckoner, The guardian.... i don't even know name to call my God again. I'm not an atheist and I'll never be one for I know nothing without the permission of my maker, I amount to nothing without HIM. I thank you LORD for the gift of Life

4 Likes

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by kessco(m): 1:21pm On Sep 11, 2014
What more can I say? It pays to work hard.

To some extent, graduating with 1st class or 2:1, 2:2 can be seen as a certificate and the other is the individual. What I mean is this: whatever class(s) of degree(s) you posses must reflect on you to measure up, work on yourself continually, keep LEARNING. God's been on my sides, I have benefited where others were rejected. Accessed where men thought it's impossible all because of that reflection. Got three good offers in Multinational Oil Companies but NYSC have hindered it which I'm currently serving, it sounds too good to be true right?.

Please no matter your qualification(s), develop yourself, acquire relevant skills in your chosen Profession.

Everything under the Sun has time. When it's Nine months no one tells the babe in the womb to come out, the babe will turn on his own for him to be delivered of the mother. So it will be when it's your own time to shine. Don't conclude in your mind that it's over with you.

Success is if God add favor to your labor, so study to show yourself approved.

3 Likes

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by dfav: 1:21pm On Sep 11, 2014
i will advice u if u re still school ;;; plz plzzzzz try ur best and come out with at least 2.1

there was an opening in a very good firm (name withheld); and 3 top managers brought their family members CVs (2 of them 2.1 & the other 2.2); the one with 2.2 was quickly disqualifies; at the end one got the job cos his ward made 2.1 in a good federal university not state .

u can see that all of them has connections (managers in the company); 2.1 in a good university gave one the upper hand..

Please note this is Nigeria and the jobs re hard to come by; and when they come; people with connections will take most proportion of the jobs but guys with connections (including God) & good result from a good university will most times have the upper hand...
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Nobody: 1:21pm On Sep 11, 2014
Olutola88: which wen do I want to hear when Almighty God is for me. instead of you to advice the younger ones to make the best out of every opportunity, you are hear saying something else.
I.say you go hear wen,it is not a curse.

Lol person wey get 2-1 for philosophy dey yarn dust,abi na by 1st class for sociology
Yoruba studies etc

You go hear wen angry grin

3 Likes

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by wilyparker(m): 1:22pm On Sep 11, 2014
segunjowo: it is not a must joor. by the time u compare available openings with the number of 2.1 in town u will understand that 2.1 cant guarantee u a job, only ur extra skill outside classroom and God can help u.
guy you just spoke my mind.... making 2.1 is good but employers are not interested in good grades alone but what you can offer, what can you do if employed especially the engineers and scientists....I'm also a graduate of analytical chemistry with a strong 2.1 but all through my years in school 90% of our lectures were mainly theories no practicals we only see analytical tools on papers.... my advice to undergraduates is after school probably during the holidays get attach to industries to gain practical experience this will boosts your chances....

1 Like

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by mekzyjoe(m): 1:23pm On Sep 11, 2014
i aint gat no 2.1 bt am currently a big staff in DANGOTE GRP OF COMPANIES..believ in ursef n ur ability peeps...dnt eva limit ursef no matter d situation u find ursef..be creative n always move wit d right friends dat can help or link u up in one way or d oda...FACT cheesy wink..most peeps cant even defend deir 2.1 bt moreover gettin it is a good tin cheesy wink

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

Male Teachers Vs Female Teachers: Are Women Better Teachers Than Men? / Apply For Total E&P Undergraduate Scholarship 2015 For Nigerian Students / Felt Bad My Students Said I Am Into Yahoo, Teaching Can't Afford My Lifestyle

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.